Stuck by rosina
Summary: Summary Snape is sent to deal with accidental magic performed at Privet Drive.(Warning - he's quite nice!)
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Fic Fests > #15 Winter Fest 2013 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charity Burbage
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 3993 Read: 23596 Published: 11 Jan 2014 Updated: 12 Jan 2014

1. Hogwarts by rosina

2. Privet Drive by rosina

3. Saturday Shopping by rosina

4. Nativity Play Evening by rosina

5. Christmas Day by rosina

Hogwarts by rosina

Severus Snape cast a final, satisfied glance over the rack of phials containing the pale pink stomach soothing potion he'd just produced at Poppy Pomfrey's last-minute request, then emerged from his personal lab with the intention of claiming a half hour on the couch, with the Prophet and a cup of tea, before contemplating the horrors of tonight's Feast, where the majority of the students would be rowdy and overexcited at the prospect of returning home tomorrow for the Yuletide break.

He'd just turned to the Quidditch pages at the back of the paper when the Floo flared, and the wrinkled face of the Headmaster appeared in the grate. Not for the first time Severus wished he'd taken notice of the line in his contract stating that the Headmaster had access to his quarters at all times.

"Ah, Severus. I'm so glad you're not busy," the old wizard said. "Could you come up to my office now please – I have a favour to ask of you."

Snape sighed as his thirty minutes of downtime disappeared, but gathering up his outer robes he shrugged them on and obeyed the command, deciding to walk rather than use the Floo just to show the headmaster what he thought of the summons.

The castle ghosts were out in force, more of them weaving in and out of the walls than he'd seen since Halloween, as Severus stalked along the garlanded corridors of Hogwarts to all too quickly reach the statue guarding the staircase leading to Albus' office. He grimaced at the fake snowflakes falling on his head as he spat out the password. Mint humbug. Bah humbug more like.

"Severus! Come on in, my boy!" Dumbledore's voice sounded cheerfully as Snape raised his hand to knock on the closed door, so he pushed it open instead. "Please, sit down. Would you like a seasonal treat?"

Snape regarded the tray of chocolate…... reindeer droppings… and ice mice, and the jar of sherbet frosted liquorice wands with the contempt he felt they deserved. No reply necessary.

"No? Oh well, all the more for me," the Headmaster smiled. "I'll cut straight to the chase shall I? I need you to visit a Muggle raised child to investigate a major incident of accidental magic that occurred about an hour ago."

Snape stared at him in disbelief. You what!

"As Slytherin Head of House, you may not be aware that the Ministry leaves it to the Hogwarts headmaster to keep an eye on developments with Muggle born or raised children under twelve who are down to be educated here." Dumbledore indicated an array of silver instruments lining a shelf, most of which appeared to be doing nothing. "A home visit or two normally sorts things out. After all, most Muggles only see what they expect to, so magic mostly passes unnoticed. I usually send Charity, but since you know this family I think you are the better choice today."

Snape continued to stare as the penny dropped. Potter? It has to be Lily's boy! I 'm fairly sure I heard he was placed with Petunia, and I don't know of any other Muggle raised child.

"I require you to investigate the causes and fix the results of an episode of accidental magic performed by Harry Potter at Number Four Privet Drive, Little Whinging." The headmaster spoke slowly and clearly, confirming Snape's suspicions, while the steely glint in Albus' eyes told him that refusal was not an option. That didn't stop Snape from glaring as the Headmaster passed him an engraved button and smilingly explained, "This will give you access through the wards on foot. You'd be best to Floo to Arabella Figg's house today until you find somewhere secluded to Apparate to and from. Oh, and Severus, don't forget you need to dress as a Muggle. Here let me help."

Severus snarled as he reached the door, nearly tripping over the toes of the winklepicker shoes Albus had given him to go with plum coloured velvet trousers and a brightly patterned knitted sweater. He smirked as he transformed the footwear back into his customary, comfortable boots as he rode down the staircase, and the colours to black as he reached the corridors. It was a running joke between them that pureblood Albus would pretend to know more about Muggle customs than the partially Muggle raised Severus.

The End.
Privet Drive by rosina

Snape reached the front door at Number Four and paused. A child’s voice was yelling “You let my dad down NOW freak.”

A quieter voice answered “I told you I don’t know how he got there Duddy. Oww.”

 Snape heard scuffling, then a female voice saying “Boys -stop fighting.”

 Deciding against an alohomora, Severus rang the doorbell, wincing as it played Jingle Bells.

“Not today, thank you,” snapped a harassed looking woman Snape could just about recognise as an older, blonder version of the Petunia Evans he remembered . He’d last seen her at Lily and James’ wedding, and it didn’t look as if the intervening years had treated her especially kindly. “Oh! …..Sev..Severus Snape? Oh, thank goodness, come in. I hope you’ve come to fix my husband.”

Severus followed her into a pristine hallway.

 “Into the kitchen boys,” Petunia ordered. “Watch the television quietly while I talk with Mr Snape.”

He watched as a large blond boy shoved his way past a short, skinny child with sticky up hair that reminded Snape forcibly of James Potter. Not to be outdone, the smaller boy grabbed the back of his cousin’s shirt to impede his progress.

“The freak doesn’t get to watch telly when Dad’s mad with him,” whined the larger boy.

 “Do as you’re told please, Dudley. You can have some chocolate biscuits if you behave nicely for Mummy.”

Once the boys were settled in the kitchen, Petunia gestured Snape into a sizeable living room somewhat over-cluttered with gaudy Christmas decorations and pointed to the wall beside the door where a large man with a large moustache appeared to be firmly stuck to the wall about two feet up from the ground. Snape’s eyes narrowed as he took in the threatening expression frozen on the man’s face, and the heavy cane still firmly grasped in his hands. A quick wave of his wand impressed Snape. A strong Sticking charm and a perfect Petrificus Totalis performed wandlessly, even if accidentally, must mean that the Potter boy could become a seriously powerful wizard once his Hogwarts tuition began.  But Severus wanted to find out the full story of what had happened before reversing the accidental magic.

“Anything you’d like to tell me before I speak with the boy, Petunia? This”- he waved towards Vernon – “doesn’t look like happy families.”

Playing nervously with her fingers, Petunia replied. “Harry’s becoming more difficult as he gets older. There are more funny things happening than I ever remember with Lily. And Vernon’s scared of it! He tries to stop it by force, and punishments. It’s not his fault – we were given no choices or help in dealing with things and he’s just trying to protect his family.”

“I think you and I both know that’s not entirely true Petunia, but why didn’t you ask for help?”

“I don’t exactly have an owl,” she snapped.

“You could have spoken to Mrs Figg.”

“Mrs… you mean she’s a witch!”

“A squib…. never mind. Albus Dumbledore has some explaining to do.”

“First things first,” Severus continued. “I shall need to speak with Mr Potter alone for a few minutes, please. Maybe we could use his bedroom?”

**

 Harry led the way to the cupboard under the stairs, and began to pull open the door before Petunia hurriedly told him to take Mr  Snape up to Dudley’s second bedroom.

“Now, please explain to me what happened with your uncle earlier.” Snape sat on the bed in what appeared to be a store room, and looked into wide green eyes, as innocent as Lily’s when they’d first met.

“Me and Dudley were fighting because he stamped on my donkey ears for our Nativity play, and I knocked that big vase in the hall off its table. It broke, then mended itself again, and Uncle saw it do it when he came to tell me off. He doesn’t like it when freaky things happen, and he got his Smeltings stick out. It hurts, and I just wished he’d go away. Dunno how he ended up on the wall.” Harry paused to take a breath.

“Go and fetch me your costume ears, Harry.” Freaky things indeed.

 Harry raced down to his cupboard and returned with a squashed pair of cardboard donkey ears obviously created from a cereal packet. Snape took out his wand and concentrated. Harry’s eyes grew like saucers as the ears turned into a grey furry headdress complete with a mask.

“How did you do that?”

“Just a little magic, Harry.”

“There’s no such thing!”

“No? Have you never done strange, unexplained things?”

“Well…..I make bad freaky things happen, sometimes.”

“Harry. Magic is real. You are a wizard, just like me. You have magic, just like your mum and dad did. Don’t look so worried,” Snape continued as a look of panic crossed Harry’s face. “We shall teach you how to control it. Now, why don’t you try those ears on.”

As Harry was diverted with trying on his costume, Snape took the opportunity for a light skim of the boy’s mind, and found verification of his suspicions plus a few slightly disturbing images. Dumbledore had better have some answers.

**

Severus returned downstairs, and after Petunia had sent the boys off to bed they moved into the living room.

“A few questions for you, Petunia. The boy is very skinny – I gather one of your husband’s punishments is withholding food. You don’t come off very well here. Don’t people question the size difference between the two boys?”

“I just tell them that Harry takes after my side of the family and Duddykins takes after his father,” Petunia whispered uncomfortably.

“Tuney. You were never skinny till you stopped eating properly after Billy Jones called you a fat cow when you started…. um….developing.”

“Vernon likes me slim.”

“Hmm. That cupboard is not acceptable either, Petunia……. back to bed Mr Potter.” Snape waited till he heard the cupboard door close again. “Well, we’d better sort your husband out, and have some serious discussion.”

 Drawing his wand, and extracting a phial of lavender coloured calming draught from his pocket, Snape turned towards the large problem. Unsticking the man from the wall he levitated him over to the sofa, and passed the phial to Petunia. “I think the discussion may go better if you get him to drink this.”

Vernon roared a string of curses when Snape removed the Petrificus Totalis from the upper part of his body.

“Just drink it Vernon,” Petunia ordered. “He could make you anyway.”

**

“So, to summarise. One, there will be no physical violence between members of this household. I have cast a spell to ensure this temporarily. Two, Harry will be sleeping in the small bedroom upstairs by the weekend. I have moved all the junk into the cupboard in the corner. Three, I shall enquire of Dumbledore of any help or counselling that may be available to you. Four, I shall visit on Saturday to take the boy to Diagon Alley to buy some things for the room. He’ll be treated as Lily’s son should be for one day at least. I understand that the rest of you are out with one of your son’s friends on a theatre visit to which Potter is not invited.”

When Petunia and Vernon nodded in agreement, Severus stood up.

 “Well, I think we understand each other now. I will send my owl in a day or so with a note of my arrival time for Saturday. He’s rather large and looks intimidating, but feed him some bacon and you’ll have a friend for life. I’ll see myself out.”

Snape paused in the hallway. “Goodnight Harry,” he ventured.

“G’night sir,” came the sleepy reply.

**

Snape strode along Privet Drive on autopilot. Dumbledore will have to make alternative arrangements for Lily’s boy. He’s not safe with that Muggle any longer, and Petunia hasn’t even explained to him about magic. He stepped into the entrance of a hedge-lined footpath he’d noticed on his way down to Number Four, and without his customary caution flicked his wand to return his clothes to robes before Disapparating with a much louder than usual crack.

The quiet streets of Little Whinging were temporarily disturbed as the small gang of teenaged boys who had been approaching Privet Drive looked at each other in confusion, then dropped their possessions, turned tail and ran away screaming. At the same time, the large tabby kneazle out on its nightly prowl of the neighbourhood streaked for home with an ear splitting yowl.

At Number Four Harry Potter slept peacefully with a smile on his face.

 

The End.
Saturday Shopping by rosina

Snape arrived to collect Harry for their shopping expedition on Saturday, and made time to enquire how Vernon was behaving towards him.

“He’s been quite quiet,” said Harry. “Says ‘Ouch’ a lot though.”

Snape smirked. My spell is working then.

“But, sir, I haven’t got any money to go shopping with,” Harry worriedly told Snape.

“Look upon today as an early Christmas present. Now, let’s get going,” Snape replied, ignoring the slightly puzzled expression on the child’s face as he ushered him out of the door. 

Snape and Harry turned into the little secluded path, and Snape offered Harry a small phial. “Drink this, please.”

“What is it?” said the boy suspiciously.

“A stomach soother. It should prevent you from feeling sick when I Apparate us to Diagon Alley. That’s a magical way to travel by the way.”

“I don’t get travel sick, that’s Dudley,” said Harry confidently.

“Drink it please. I do not want to risk any accidents,” said Snape sternly.

They arrived in a quiet alcove, where Harry leant against the wall and took some deep breaths. “Don’t like that,” he said.

“You’ll get used to it,” Snape told him, “but aren’t you glad you drank the potion as I instructed?”

“Yeah,” Harry grinned, as colour returned to his cheeks. “You were right.”

**

They walked along Diagon Alley, Harry excitedly trying to take in everything on both sides of the street. Snape remembered his first visit with his own mother so many years ago, and let the child feast his eyes on the sights and soak up the atmosphere without interrupting him with explanations.

After they had spent several minutes admiring the huge tree that stood glittering and sparkling outside Gringotts, Snape pushed on with the business of the day.

“First stop, duvet and covers,” he said. “Now, Minerva has told me what we must get. Ah, yes, this looks like it.”

Harry looked hopefully at the display of duvet covers and sheets that were lined up along the aisle.

“Look,” he exclaimed. “Owls, are they constellations? What are these?” He gravitated to a set detailing Quidditch equipment. “Ooh, look. Dragons on that one!”

Snape had to admit that Minerva had been right. This brand would appeal to Harry, and give him some basic education useful in the wizarding world.

“Which do you prefer, Mr Potter?” he asked, trying not to smile as the child looked at first one design then another, clearly unable to decide.

Putting Harry out of his misery, he explained. “Actually you don’t have to choose. This set will change pattern when you hold the tag and wish. There are seven different designs, and the sheet colours will change each time too.”

Harry’s grin nearly split his face. “I love magic!” he declared, bouncing up and down.

Taking the covers, and a nice thick duvet and pillow along with a soft rug to the cash desk, Snape paid for their selection, then shrank the purchases and stowed them in his pocket.

Harry gaped. “Where did it all go?”

“More magic, Mr Potter. Don’t worry - you’ll get everything back properly sized when we return to Privet Drive.”

Harry just shook his head in wonder.

“Oh, hello Professor Snape!” exclaimed the short, rather dumpy, red headed witch who had almost collided with Snape and Harry as she emerged from delving into the depths of the bargain bin triumphantly clutching a bright orange set of bed linen.

“My Ronnie loves the Chudley Cannons,” she explained as Snape raised his eyebrows at her trophy. “Who is this young man, Professor? Have you been keeping secrets? Oh, my goodness…. is it……? It is!”

She enveloped a startled Harry in what would be the first of many bear hugs he would receive from her over the years to come.

“Let the child breathe, madam,” ordered Snape as Harry began to squirm uncomfortably. “It’s his first re-introduction to the magical world today, you don’t want to put him off.”

“Sorry, Harry dear,” Mrs Weasley apologised as she released him. “I’m just so pleased to see you again. You were a little baby in your mum’s arms, and look at you now!” Harry smiled uncertainly as he sidled closer to Snape, who rested his hand on the boy’s shoulder.

“Actually,” said the Professor, “perhaps you could tell us the best place on the Alley to buy some Muggle style clothes?”

“Yes, of course. Don’t go to Gladrags or Madam Malkin. You don’t want anything too expensive as I’m sure Harry is about to start growing like a weed. Try the little cul de sac just past Eeylops.”

**

The pair finished up at Fortescue’s ice cream shop which diversified its menu in the winter months. After all, even a Hogwarts Professor wouldn’t consider a holiday visit to Diagon Alley complete without sampling one of Florean’s confections.

“For me?” Harry’s eyes nearly popped out of his head when the treat of a big mug of creamy hot chocolate decorated with marshmallows and extra chocolate sprinkles arrived at their table.

“Gosh, thank you sir,” he whispered, looking at the treat in awe. “Are you sure?”

**

Back at Privet Drive, which was happily still Dursley free, Snape unshrunk their purchases and helped Harry to set his new bedroom up. A huge smile lit Harry’s face, especially when Severus told him that he had cast protective spells to prevent damage or theft.

“Thank you, thank you – it’s brilliant! Duddy will be so envious! Um, sir…” Harry hesitated, before continuing, “would you like to come to our nativity play? They gave us all two tickets, but ….. you don’t have to say yes. Aunt Petunia said I shouldn’t ask.”

 

 

The End.
Nativity Play Evening by rosina

“Thank you for agreeing to accompany me,” Severus said as he and Charity walked the last few yards to the entrance of Little Whinging Primary School.

“Not a problem,” she replied. “I don’t get out into the Muggle world as often as I should these days and this could be fun.”

“Look out for the donkey’s ears,” he told her as they reached the entrance doors.

“Would you and your…friend care to come back to Privet Drive for a cup of coffee?” Petunia addressed Snape rather reluctantly after the play.

“Thank you,” he accepted, ignoring the annoyed glance Vernon gave his wife. We should take the opportunity to check on things and perhaps strengthen my protective spells.

**

“Could I see your new room, Harry,” asked Charity, giving Severus the chance to talk with the Dursley adults while Dudley was busy rummaging in the fridge. .

He grabbed her hand and pulled her up the stairs. “Look!” he exclaimed, chest puffed out with pride.

“Very nice” she admired. “May I make a few additions?” At Harry’s excited nod she transfigured a sheet of paper into a corkboard which she stuck to the wall. “There. Now you can display your artwork,” she told the boy. “And…” with a wave of her wand she conjured a small silver tree complete with magical lights and a little pile of ornaments for Harry to add.

“Ohhh!” Harry whispered, his eyes shining almost as brightly as the tree.

“How do you get on with Professor Snape?” Charity asked, taking advantage of the privacy to get an answer to one of the questions she had been hoping to ask this evening.

“He’s funny!” grinned Harry. “But he’s really nice, and kind – look what he got for me.”

Charity smiled as the little boy twirled around with his arms outstretched.

“He told me about magic too,” Harry chattered on, “and he’s stopped Uncle getting angry! Is he your boyfriend?”

“Uh, no, Harry. We just work together,” replied Charity quickly with a blush. “But,” she whispered conspiratorially, “I may try charming some mistletoe over the holiday.”

“Ahem,” came a deep voice from the doorway. “You will need to watch where you stand on Christmas Day too, Harry. Your aunt and uncle have agreed that you may spend the day at Hogwarts, if you would like to do so.”

The End.
Christmas Day by rosina

Harry woke early on Christmas morning, to find to his delight presents under his little tree!

He was just perusing  ’My First Book of Quidditch’ when his aunt knocked on the door. “Hurry, get dressed quickly, and come and help me with breakfast,” she said, handing Harry a plastic carrier bag. “Sshh,” she said as he looked inside and began to thank her.

Downstairs, they sat down to scrambled eggs on toast together, before preparing a huge fry up for Vernon and Dudley, although Dudley was more interested in ripping open all the gifts that were piled up for him under the big tree in the front room.

“Happy Christmas, Uncle Vernon,” Harry tried.

 “It will be if you get out of the house before Marge arrives,” Vernon grouched, although with less venom than Harry was used to.

“Why not go upstairs to wait for Mr Snape,” suggested Petunia.

Harry happily complied, and spent the time creating thank you cards for Severus and Charity, utilising the felt pens  and coloured card that were contained in Aunt Petunia’s gift to him.

He was just satisfied with his handiwork when the doorbell rang, and he heard Snape’s silky voice greeting Aunt Petunia. Grabbing his new red hat and gloves set, and picking up the cards, Harry raced down the stairs. “Happy Christmas, Professor!” he shouted as he leapt down the last two steps. “Thank you for the books!”

“You are welcome,” said Snape. “Now, where is your coat? It’s drizzling outside.” Petunia produced the new coat Snape had bought for Harry in Diagon Alley, and the pair set off to the secluded Apparition place.

As they reached the corner of Privet Drive a large estate car turned into the road. Harry moved closer to Snape’s side as Ripper leapt from the front seat where he’d been travelling next to Aunt Marge, and barked furiously out of the side window as the car went by. Harry smiled nervously up at Severus, “That dog hates me,” he said, “but it’s Dudley that pulls his tail and teases him. I’m really glad you’re taking me out today.”

Me too, child. You are surprisingly agreeable considering your upbringing and heritage.

**

They landed outside the gates of Hogwarts, and “Snow!” Harry breathed. He dashed into the grounds and began making snowballs while Snape secured the gates. Severus had to smile as the child danced gleefully when the snowball he aimed at the closest tree caused a small avalanche, and prompted a couple of owls to fly up into the sky hooting angrily. Then Harry looked up the hill. “Wow! Is that real?”

“Indeed it is, Harry. Hogwarts awaits you!” Casting an Impervious charm to keep the boy’s feet dry, Severus led the way towards the castle which was looking especially enchanting with a dusting of snow decorating its ledges and parapets, and on to the most wonderful and magical Christmas Day Harry could ever have imagined.

 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3011