A Hogwart's Carol by Saphire_Rose
Summary: Can a visit from some unhappy spirits save Snape and Harry from a life of misery and cold comfort?
Categories: Fic Fests > #15 Winter Fest 2013, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Eileen Prince, Hagrid, James, Lily, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Petunia, Tobias Snape, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 12336 Read: 47415 Published: 12 Jan 2014 Updated: 12 Jan 2014
Chapter 10 by Saphire_Rose

Harry gasped as he stepped into the room. Who would have guessed that Snape of all people lived in such an inviting place? There was a cheerful fire in the hearth, warming the room. Gathered around it was a couch and matching chairs that were deep and inviting. In one corner Snape had a desk with some book shelves behind it and to one side. There were windows that Harry instantly realised were charmed liked the ceiling in the Great Hall but instead of showing the weather they showed outside views.

Past the fireplace and in the opposite corner to the desk stood a beautifully decorated Christmas tree. It wasn’t lit like Aunt Petunia’s was and it didn’t have a star or an angel on the top but it was still beautiful. Snape walked over to the tree and beckoned for Harry to join him. “I need to finish the tree Mr. Potter and I thought you would like to help,” Snape said flatly, picking up a white box the professor knelt in front of the small boy. “In my family it is tradition for the youngest to place the angel upon the tree and then light up the tree.”

“I didn’t know you had a family professor,” said Harry, “What are they like?”

“My father can be bit maddening at times but overall his a good man with a big heart and a sweet tooth. My son… well my son is like most boys his age getting into mischief and the like but for the most part he’s a sweet child with a caring and giving nature just like his mother. He also has a big heart that is full of love and compassion.”

“Do… do you love him?”

“I think so. I didn’t at first. I was jealous and spiteful because he represented two people who made my life both a joy and a misery when I was growing up. I treated him badly and that was wrong.”

“I’m sure he’ll forgive you.”

“I hope someday that he will.”

A chime sounded in the room and Snape cast his eyes towards the fireplace, the flames flashed green and a scroll landed on the hearth rug. “Would you get that please Harry?”

Harry’s eyes widened at the use of his name but he said nothing. Quickly he retrieved the parchment and handed it to Snape. “Ah your first Christmas gift.”

“Mine?” Harry squeaked.

“Well it’s for both of us really. I had some unexpected visitors earlier and so did the Headmaster. They made their wishes known. So I guess you could say this is from all of us.”

Setting aside the box that he still held Snape carefully broke the seal and unrolled the parchment. He scanned it quickly before turning it around for Harry to read.

It was a tense five minutes before Harry spoke. “You adopted me? You adopted me and I never have to go back to the Dursleys? And… and my parents agreed?”

“Yes to all of those questions.”

“My angel said she was sending someone…” Harry said softly, “But you hate me,” he said louder.

Snape didn’t know what to make of the boy’s earlier words. Could Lily have visited her son as well? “Did you listen to my words when I spoke of my son?”

“You were talking about me?”

“Yes Harry. You are my only son. Now I think we should get the tree finished because you need to go to bed, in the bed not on the floor. You are not a freak as your insidious relatives insist on calling you. You are a very special child and you deserve to be loved and cherished like other children. That means you have your own room with a bed to sleep in. You have clothes and shoes that fit you. You have food to eat when you are hungry. You have toys, games and books to amuse yourself with. You do not work from sun up to sun down. There will be rules and consequences but we can go over them later.

Why don’t we see if we can find you some pyjamas first then we can finish the tree? After that we can talk for a little while. If you fall asleep I will tuck you into bed.”

Snape led Harry to the newly formed door. “I haven’t seen in here yet so I’m not sure what the elves have put together for you?”

“Elves?”

“Of course you wouldn’t know about house elves since you grew up with Petunia. I’ll introduce you to one. Rolle.”

A small creature dressed in a white pillow case with royal blue edging and the Hogwarts crest popped up in front of them. Harry noted the bat-wing like ears, the bulbous nose and the tennis ball size eyes that protruded quite a lot. “What can I do for you Master Snape?” it asked bowing.

“Harry this Rolle, he is the head house elf here at Hogwarts. He oversees all the cooking, cleaning and other household chores that need to be done to keep a castle running smoothly. All house elves are eager to please and will happily do whatever you ask them to. You should never abuse that eagerness Harry. Before you ask them to do something ask yourself if it really is something you cannot do yourself,” Severus saw Rolle’s eyes get bigger as he spoke about the elves, “Another thing you should know is that not all house elves speak as clearly as Rolle, though he is working hard to teach them but it is hard to undo years of incorrect speech. Also some of the older wizarding families treat house elves appallingly much as your relatives treated you. Even I have been guilty of losing my temper with them. Rolle would you like to show my son his room? Especially where you have put his pyjamas.”

“Yes I would.”

Rolle opened the door and taking Harry gently by the hand he led him in to the spacious room.

At first Severus thought it was too big but as he watched the two tour the room he realised it was what Harry needed to grow. The Dursleys had kept him in a cramped cupboard and not allowed him to do anything besides cooking and cleaning. In this room the boy had a quiet corner for reading near the small bed. Another corner with a large table and chairs where he could play all sorts of games. Another corner where he could let his creativity run wild, draw, paint, sculp. In the final corner was a desk with shelves for the boy’s school books and necessities. There were already rolls of parchment, quills and bottles of ink.                                                                                                                                                     

The pair disappeared through a door that Snape figured led to a walk in closet. A few seconds later he heard a high pitched squeal that made his heart jump, it was followed by the most precious words he had ever heard, “Daddy, come see.”

The Potions Master crossed the room and through the closet to… he stood there staring at the bathroom. It was forest glade complete with waterfall and pond. What little boy in his right mind wouldn’t want to run naked about the room and jump into the water? He couldn’t see any trouble getting Harry to bathe. “Rolle said it’s big enough for you to teach me to swim.”

He looked down and there was Harry staring up at him with hope filled eyes. “You don’t know how to swim?” Severus asked casually. Of course not. From what he knew about his childhood the boy would have been denied swimming lessons.

“No. Dudley had lessons but they didn’t want to waste money on the freak.”

“Well we’ll have to fix that oversight before the giant squid decides to take you swimming with it. Harry do you realise you called me Daddy?”

***

Harry looked up at the man. Had he really done that? Perhaps Snape didn’t want to be called Daddy or Dad or anything that at least sounded warm. He knew Malfoy called his parents Mother and Father. The way he said it sounded cold and uncaring. “I’m sorry,” he said dropping his chin so he was looking at the professor’s feet.

“What are you sorry for Harry?”

“I shouldn’t have been so familiar.”

***

Snape knew that was not Harry talking, most likely it was something he had heard his aunt and uncle use. Gently Severus placed his fingers beneath Harry’s chin and tilted the little head until the boy was looking at him. “I am deeply honoured that you want to call me Daddy, child. It’s a word I never thought I would hear. Come on let’s find those pyjamas.”

Leaving the child to change his clothes the man went back to the living room. He waited near the tree, the box once more in his hands. He was amazed at how much effort the elves and castle had gone to for Harry. The rooms really were perfect for the boy. Hopefully he would be able to let go of the past and enjoy what he should have been all along. He had noted that there wasn’t a lot games, craft supplies etcetera filling the shelves, just the basics. It left room for gifts and for the boy to ask for things. The room had been deliberately left unfinished so the young lion could have a say. He had heard him asking Rolle some questions. To which the elf had told him to ask his Daddy when he was ready.

The footfall of slipper clad feet roused him and looked towards his son. “Did you bring your wand?” Severus asked.

“Oops,” Harry said and darted back to his room. He soon joined the older wizard.

“As I was saying earlier it is a family tradition for the youngest to place the angel upon the tree and light up the tree,” Severus said taking the lid off the box.

Inside was the most beautiful angel Harry had ever seen. It wasn’t anything like the plastic one the Dursleys had. This angel had red hair and emerald green eyes that him of his dream angel. Her face and arms were made of porcelain, the features delicate. Real feathers were used to make the wings. The dress she wore was beautifully patterned red and green satin with gold and silver braid. “She’s beautiful,” Harry said reverently.

“Do you recognise her?”

“No. Should I?”

***

Thankfully Harry was so mesmerised by the angel that he missed the pained look that crossed Severus face followed by an angry scowl. ‘Petunia you better enjoy your freedom while you can,’ he thought.

“My best friend made this angel for me Harry. ‘You’ll never spend another Christmas without me, Sev,’ she told me when she gave it to me. For many years it has stayed locked away in my room. When she died so did a piece of me and I closed my heart. I stopped celebrating Christmas. Now it’s time for our son to place her angel where it belongs.”

“Mum?”

“Yes. Now turn around so I can lift you up, then I will tell you about her.”

Severus Snape most feared man in all of Hogwarts carefully lifted his son and held him aloft while he placed the angel. He then showed Harry how to cast Lumos and light the magic orbs that were placed on various branches. 

Father and son stood in the soft light staring at the beautiful sight before them. Neither of them noticed the small elf that had been charged with capturing these precious moments for an album to be given to the new family.

It was another hour before Severus tucked a sleeping Harry into his bed. He had showed the boy all the photos he had of Lily and even some of James. He told him what he could about them. Harry had cried for what he had been denied. Up until then he had no idea what his parents really looked like.

***

As Harry slept he dreamt of his angel. He realised that his dream angel and the one he had placed on the tree were the same. “Mum?”

“Yes Harry,” Lily said softly.

“Thank you for…” he trailed off uncertain of what to say. He did not want to hurt his mother.

“Harry look at me,” a man’s voice said.

Harry looked up and saw his Dad standing next to his Mum.

“We, your mother and I, both chose Severus for you,” James told him. “You have nothing to fear from us. We are not upset that you want to call him Daddy. He has adopted you and will very publically claim you. You can save each other.

You’ll see us a lot in your dreams over the next few months as we help you and Sniv… Ow Lily,” James yelped, “Old habits… you know. Anyway we’re going to help you and Severus get rid of Voldemort once and for all.

We can do it so no-one gets hurt, my son, then you and your Daddy can live peacefully.”

They assured him that they were happy he was with Snape. They told him where to find certain things that would help defeat Voldemort once and for all.


 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3012