A Hogwart's Carol by Saphire_Rose
Summary: Can a visit from some unhappy spirits save Snape and Harry from a life of misery and cold comfort?
Categories: Fic Fests > #15 Winter Fest 2013, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Eileen Prince, Hagrid, James, Lily, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Petunia, Tobias Snape, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 12336 Read: 47424 Published: 12 Jan 2014 Updated: 12 Jan 2014
Chapter 11 by Saphire_Rose

Harry awoke to the sound of voices outside his bedroom door. One was pleading in a whiney voice much like Dudley did when he wanted his own way. The other was firm and adamant. He recognised both voices instantly.

“It’s Christmas Severus, wake the boy,” the Headmaster entreated.

“No, Dad, he had a late night. Let him sleep,” Snape said sternly.

“Severus Augustus Snape-Dumbledore don’t you dare take that tone with me, behave” Dumbledore scolded.

“Me? Who’s behaving like a spoilt five year old…”

“It’s Christmas…” Albus began to whine again.

Harry snickered quietly as he slipped out of bed and made quick use of the bathroom. With his slippers and dressing gown on, he crept over to the door, they were still on the other side and still arguing. Turning the knob slowly he yanked open the door yelling “Merry Christmas Daddy, did Santa come?”

Both men were startled out of their conversation. Snape turned to scold his son but found that he could not. Harry’s face was lit up in expectation and he found himself picking up the boy instead and hugging him tight. “Merry Christmas to you to Harry. Did your grandfather wake you?”

“You both did,” Harry said quietly.

“I told you…” Snape started.

“You did not…” Dumbledore finished.

“Granddad sounds just like Dudley when he wants something,” Harry chirped.

“Does he now?” Snape asked with a mischievous smile.

“Dudley?” Albus asked.

“Petunia’s thoroughly spoiled brat,” Severus said in a biting tone before turning to Harry, “Breakfast child, then you can shower and get dressed before everyone else arrives.”

Snape carried Harry to the square dining table and placed him on one of the four chairs. He indicated which chair Albus should take then disappeared into the kitchen. He returned a few minutes later with a laden tray. He carefully placed it on the table then set the plates before his family. “My Mum always made me pancakes with ham and cheese for breakfast at Christmas,” the Potions Master said as he sat down, “I thought we would make it another tradition for us to keep.”

Harry smiled and nodded. He had never had someone cook a meal for him before. Albus agreed it was a wonderful idea.

“Before you eat Harry I want to give you one present that needs to be taken on an empty stomach,” his father said as he handed over a corked phial. “Take it then close your eyes until I tell you to open them.”

The potion tasted horrible and Harry could feel it flowing through his body. He gasped when the sensation stopped at his eyes. There was some slight burning and tugging around them but nothing that hurt.

“Take your glasses off child and slowly open your eyes,” Snape told him.

Following the man’s instructions Harry’s eyes focused and he saw the most wondrous thing – everything. For the first time in his life everything was clear. He did not need to squint to see the other side of the room. “Thank you,” Harry said awkwardly, his throat feeling constricted by the sobs he was trying to repress. Next to his mother giving her life for him it was the most precious gift he had received.

Gathering the boy into his arms and onto his lap Snape kissed him tenderly on the forehead, “You are more than welcome Harry.”

Harry buried his head in his father’s shoulder and let go of the sadness he was holding. When he was finished Snape dried his tears and told him to eat. Harry went to move but his father’s hand stayed him.

***

At ten-thirty, after Harry had showered and dressed, the first of their guests arrived. Minerva McGonagall had been stunned at how the living room looked all decked out for Christmas. Severus had welcomed her with a kiss and a hug after taking the gifts she carried and placing them under the tree. The same reaction was garnered from the other professors upon their arrival.

When the last guest had arrived and Albus was getting ready to tell them the news of the adoptions Harry stole his thunder, “Daddy, can we open the presents now?” Every eye turned to Harry who was looking up at Snape.

“Da… daddy?” Minerva spluttered.

Harry raced to where they had put the adoption certificate, snatched it up and raced to McGonagall with it. “Mum and Dad gave me a new Daddy for Christmas,” Harry said excitedly showing the witch where his parents had signed.

Minerva and the others were speechless but soon rallied congratulating both Severus and Harry. “That’s not all,” Harry said, “I got a granddad too.”

Albus and Severus explained what had happened the night before.

The group settled and enjoyed watching as Harry, Severus and Albus celebrated their first Christmas as a family. They counted themselves lucky to be included in such a momentous event.

 


 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3012