A Hogwart's Carol by Saphire_Rose
Summary: Can a visit from some unhappy spirits save Snape and Harry from a life of misery and cold comfort?
Categories: Fic Fests > #15 Winter Fest 2013, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Eileen Prince, Hagrid, James, Lily, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Petunia, Tobias Snape, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 12336 Read: 47416 Published: 12 Jan 2014 Updated: 12 Jan 2014
Chapter 2 by Saphire_Rose

The clock ticked and time moved forward but Severus Snape took no notice. He was lost in a world of red ink and scathing comments, so lost that he didn’t notice the erethral glow at first. As it got brighter odd noises began to fill the room – moaning, lamenting and was that empty glass bottles rattling?

Slowly the Potions Master lowered his quill and raised his head. He expected to see Peeves, Hogwarts resident poltergeist, or one of the other ghosts that frequently haunted the castle. He could not help the look of shock at what he saw. Tobias Snape, his long dead father, floated there. About his person and trailing behind him were long heavy chains and empty glass bottles of various shapes and sizes. Severus recognised them as ones that his father frequently drank alcohol from. The adornments creaked, clanked and clinked as the spectre swayed.

“What are you doing here?” Severus demanded, “You were a Muggle you can’t be a ghost here.”

“I was chosed to visit ya once. Penance I guess,” his father’s spirit spoke.

“Why?”

“T’ warn ya.”

“You were chosen to warn me. Why would the powers that be send you? You were spiteful and hateful towards me. You drank away whatever money you earnt and beat Mum and I every chance you got until she died. Then it was just me.”

“I know. That’s why I’m ere to make sure ya don’ do the same.”

“In case you have not noticed, Father, I have steady employment and I do not drink to excess. Nor do I beat women and children.”

“Tha’s true lad but ya’re mean spirited and cold. Ya blind to those who don’ meet ya ‘pectations. Ya’ll end up like me if you don’ change Sev.”

“Being a ghost is hardly a deterrent Father.”

“These chains,” Tobias lamented, “These await ya but yer’s are heavier, longer. I only took me frustrations out on ya and yer Ma; ya take it out on the kids here and some of the growed ups.”

“I’ll take my chances. You can leave now.”

“Ya’ll be shod of me soon enough. There’ll be three other visits this night. P’raps one of ‘em can make ya see reason.”

“Tell them not to bother. I have no time for such things and I am happy the way I am.”

Tobias Snape shook his head and sighed before moving off and leaving his son to his marking.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3012