A Hogwart's Carol by Saphire_Rose
Summary: Can a visit from some unhappy spirits save Snape and Harry from a life of misery and cold comfort?
Categories: Fic Fests > #15 Winter Fest 2013, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dudley, Dumbledore, Eileen Prince, Hagrid, James, Lily, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Petunia, Tobias Snape, Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 12336 Read: 47416 Published: 12 Jan 2014 Updated: 12 Jan 2014
Chapter 8 by Saphire_Rose

Snape was tired but he dare not close his eyes. He sat in his chair near the fire remembering Dickens from his childhood. The last ghost was the scariest of them all and he was not looking forward to seeing the spectre of death. He was fearful of what was to come.

This time the light was of no surprise. The ink bottle whizzing past his left ear and shattering on the hearth was not expected. He shot to his feet and turned in time to duck the next projectile.

The ghost of Lily Potter was ready to launch her third missile when she noticed her intended target was on his feet. She crossed to room is seconds grabbing a throw cushion from the sofa as she passed. He did nothing more than raise his arms to protect his head as she raged against him. There was no stopping Lily when her temper had the best of her. She was quick to ignite and just as quick to burn out.

As the tempest waned he found himself with arms full of weeping witch as she berated him for going back on his promise. When she was calm he looked at her, his breath caught at the sadness he saw in her beautiful eyes. “You promised to watch over him Sev, but you never once asked Albus about him. You never demanded to know where he was. You let your hatred for James and Sirius sour you so much that you took it out on my son at the first opportunity. Now you will see where it leads,” Lily said fiercely, her tears long gone.

She grabbed Severus’ hand and he found himself back in the Dursley house. He and Lily watched as Harry was dragged up the stairs by an irate Vernon. They followed and Snape wished they hadn’t. The scene before them bought back memories of the times when he had found himself in a similar position with his own father.

The man was whipping the slight teen with a wide leather belt. The buckle was tearing into the boy’s skin beneath the thin t-shirt, drawing blood. Harry’s arms were raised to protect his face. No cries or pleas were heard the only evidence that he was suffering were the tears that cascaded down his face.

When the pain became too much Harry sunk to the floor sobbing as he curled into a protective ball. Vernon tossed the belt and began kicking the boy. Not stopping until he heard bone break. With a sickening grin of satisfaction on his face he crossed the room and yanked open the door, “Bring me the freak’s stick Pet,” he bellowed.

A few minutes Petunia appeared using kitchen tongs to carry Harry’s wand. Vernon grabbed it from his wife and ordered her to bring a bucket of cold water. Turning he stalked over to his nephew noting that the boy had indeed slipped into an unconscious state. He wanted him awake for what he was about to do.

Petunia soon returned with requested water. She watched as her husband dumped the entire bucketful on the freak. Then took it to fill again as he asked.

“Awake boy?” he demanded.

“Yes sir,” was the quiet reply.

“Look here freak,” tortured green eyes looked up and widened at what they saw. His wand was being held by the last person he ever wanted to touch it. “Your aunt tells me that freaks feel a lot of pain when their wands are snapped on purpose. Says something inside them snaps as well. That’s why they break a prisoner’s wand before they lock him up.”

Vernon Dursley stared at his nephew in anticipation as he broke the holly wand in two. He delighted in the anguished the screams that were torn from the boy’s throat as he thrashed convulsively on the floor.

He left the freak lying there in a pool of vomit, closed and locked the door.

Time sped forward as the scene before them swirled and changed. The two found themselves standing in the infirmary at Hogwarts. They stood at the foot of Harry’s bed and watched as Albus Dumbledore, Minerva McGonagall and Poppy Pomfrey explained to Harry that he was little more than a squib. “You’ll be able to stay here my boy,” Dumbledore said soothingly, “Not in Gryffindor though since you will no longer be attending any classes. We’ll be able to find odd jobs around here for you to do. Nothing that requires a lot of magic obviously.”

“Perhaps Severus could take him on as an apprentice. He’s always complaining he has too much to do,” McGonagall added.

“Perhaps. I’ll speak to him.”

“Here’s your chance,” the matron said as the man in question entered the room.

As the mediwitch attended her patient the other two told Snape of their idea. “Absolutely not,” the man exploded, “He’s a mediocre brewer at best. He won’t listen to instruction and never does as he’s told. Do you really want to put this school at risk like that?”

“Severus be reasonable,” Dumbledore pleaded.

“No Albus, it will be a cold day in hell before I allow that… that boy into my private space,” Snape spun on his heels and made for the door, “Potions apprentice what a joke.”

“We’ll find something Harry. It’ll be fine.”

Lily took Snape’s hand and they faded away.

***

Opening his eyes the Potions Master recognised the cemetery they stood in, Godric’s Hollow. They quietly approached the gravestone that marked the final resting place of his only friend. He had come here often to leave flowers for the woman he loved. “Harry’s never been here to our graves. He doesn’t even know where we are resting. Did you know he didn’t want to go to the Halloween feast? He’d found out two months prior that James and I had been murdered and here he was expected to celebrate with everyone,” Lily said as they walked.

“I didn’t know I should have, but I didn’t,” Snape said softly.

They stopped and he noticed the new inscription that had been added in the middle of the stone beneath the names of the persons already buried there.

Harry James Potter

31~7~1980  –  31~10~1996

Beloved Son

Nothing else was written. “Harry wanted it that way. He only ever wanted to be Harry, just Harry,” Lily said sadly. “At the end of fifth year Harry sees Sirius murdered by Bellatrix when he and his friends are tricked into going to the Ministry. Shortly after that he is possessed by snake face. During the time that Voldie invades his body Harry is given a look into the man’s mind. He finds the keys to bringing him down. When he finds himself at Hogwarts after Vernon beats him and breaks his wand he has time to implement his plan.

In his second year Harry found the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets in Myrtle’s bathroom. This was where he found everything he needed to destroy the Horcruxes that housed Tom’s fractured soul. He had help from two elves, one that once belonged to Malfoy, the other the old Black family elf he inherits.

He found two spells. One that would not only put an end to Voldemort but everyone who was loyal to him. No-one would escape this time. It came at a cost. He gave his life for yours because he didn’t think you would allow him to use the Dark Mark on your arm to cast the other spell he found.”

“Lily I didn’t know… no that’s a lie. I suspected he was being treated badly by his family. He showed signs of abuse but you’re right I let my hatred for James get in the way and I ignored them. I should have…”

“Yes you should have,” Lily cut him off angrily, “Look over there.”

Snape looked in the direction Lily mentioned, ‘When did the fog roll in?’ he thought.

As it eased up he saw an older Ron and Hermione standing beside an open grave. He was surprised that they were there and not mourning Harry. He approached them. “He shouldn’t be buried here,” Weasley growled.

“It was in his will,” Granger said.

“Doesn’t make it right. He shouldn’t be near decent people. He shouldn’t be near Harry.”

“Let it go Ron. He’s dead.”

“He should have died all those years ago when Harry did.” 

“Let’s go. No one else is going to show.”

The pair left and the Potions Master looked down at the headstone that waited to be put in place. He read his own name.


 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3012