Father Christmas Eats Bad Boys by MsHuntergrl
Past Featured StorySummary: Severus has a coincidental meeting with a very open young boy. They talk - mostly the boy. Afterwards he can’t get the boy out of his mind. Entry into the Holiday Fic Feast of 2013.
Categories: Fic Fests > #15 Winter Fest 2013, Misc > All written in Snape's POV Main Characters: Dudley, Dumbledore, Petunia, .Snape and Harry (required), Vernon
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: General, Humor, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 12331 Read: 24229 Published: 13 Jan 2014 Updated: 13 Jan 2014
Story Notes:
A/N Folklore of the Alphine countries tell of a beast-like creature called the Krampus. During Christmas season he punishes children that have been especially misbehaved, as opposed to Saint Nicholas who rewards well behaved children with gifts. Krampus captures children in his sack and carries them away to his lair where he eats them. (Source: Wikipedia) This creature has nothing to do with the title of my story. I just did a google search on “Santa eats bad children” and it appeared. I thought it was a fun fact.  Obviously I own neither the Harry Potter books nor the songs cited in this fanfiction, and I make no profit from it. 

1. The Gingerbread Men by MsHuntergrl

2. He Comes at Night by MsHuntergrl

3. The Savior Has Come to Hogwarts! by MsHuntergrl

4. Silent Night by MsHuntergrl

The Gingerbread Men by MsHuntergrl

Christmas Carols were being sung, the sound of them echoing between the walls and the high ceiling of the church, bringing a message of Christmas and all its wonders to the churchgoers lined up in the rows of seats. Severus sat in the very back, not singing but looking around curiously. His parents had never been the kind to attend church and he could not remember them ever taking him there either. It was beautiful, he thought, and he wondered if Hogwarts would be anything like it.

As the last psalm finished he discretely left, not wanting to be caught dawdling around. Once outside the church gates he stepped aside to let other people past. Some people glared at him and his dirty clothes, some felt their pockets to make sure they had not been robbed but Severus did not pay them much attention. It wasn’t for them he had come today.

Finally the person he had been waiting for came through the big doors. He took a step forward and as soon as she noticed him she was by his side, smiling widely.

“Merry Christmas, Sev!” she said, giving him a hug.

“Merry Christmas, Lily,” he replied, awkwardly hugging her back.

Her parents stood some distance away, keeping an eye on their daughter whilst conversing with the pastor. Severus wondered, not for the first time, what they thought of his friendship with their daughter. Their families were so different.

As they pulled apart he could see that she was more beautiful than usual today. Her hair was curly and she had green ties in it. Dressed in a white coat over her green dress she looked like an angel, he thought, especially as the softly falling snow seemed to form a halo on her head.

“So, I … Uh, I got you a present,” she stammered, blushing lightly. “I know you said you didn’t want one but I wanted to get you something, and anyway, it isn’t that much, so will you accept it?”

She was talking so fast it was hard to comprehend what she was saying, as she often did when she got nervous. He smiled back at her, accepting the gift she held out for him.

“Thanks, Lily. I don’t have anything for you, though.”

“That’s fine. You didn’t need to get me anything. Mom already gave me this beautiful new doll anyway.”

Silently he was grateful that she was so nice about it. He had wanted to get her something, he really had, but he had no money and the extra money his family got from church for Christmas had already been spent on alcohol by his father. Not that he knew what he would have gotten her even if he had had any money.

“Won’t you open it?” she asked eagerly.

“Alright.”

It was the only gift he was likely to receive so he took his time, slowly peeling the paper off and folding it neatly. A small box was revealed and inside it was a small pile of ginger bread men, complete with decorating and everything.

“Cute, aren’t they?” Lily asked. “I helped mom make them yesterday and asked if I could give you some. Those are the best I managed. Do you like them?”

“I love them,” he said, picking one up to view it closer.

“Look, this one even got a wand. Mom thought it was a candy cane and I didn’t tell her what it really was, you know, because I’m not supposed to know about Hogwarts and all of that …”

He laughed a little at that. Truth to be told it looked more like a candy cane than a wand but he loved the little detail anyway.

“Thank you, Lily,” he repeated. “Thank you very much.”

“You’re welcome. I’m glad you could come so I could give them to you. I don’t think dad would have let me go home to you to give them to you.”

No, it did not seem too likely that her dad would let her visit his street. There was too much of a risk that she would get robbed. And even if he would have let her Severus would not have liked her to see what it was like, where he lived. There was something pure about her and he did not want to stain that, young as he was. 

“Well, I’ve got to go now. Grandma is coming to visit soon.”

“Okay. Merry Christmas Lily.”

“Merry Christmas Sev. See you later.”

With a last hug she headed back to her parents and her sister. Snape watched them leave, holding the box of gingerbread men close to his chest.

Brushing away the snow he sat on the low wall separating the church from the graveyard, putting the box beside him. Most people had left by now but light still flowed out from the church and Severus chose the ginger bread man with the wand. It tasted wonderfully and he closed his eyes. Treats like this were rare and he would make sure to enjoy them before he got home.

When he opened his eyes again the memory had faded and he was once again standing in front of her memorial stone. Shaking his head he tried to chase away the nostalgic feeling. He was being foolish. Lily had been dead for more than five years and still he could not forget her. He couldn’t even bring himself to visit her actual grave, the location being much too close to where she had died. It was too painful. Instead he settled for this memorial stone in Cokeworth, which had been raised for her elderly muggle grandmother to visit before she too died only months after her granddaughter.

Before he left he conjured a wreath of holly which he placed on the ground.

“Merry Christmas Lily.”

Leaving through the church gate he could hear the coir practicing Christmas Carols and he was once again reminded that it was only two days until Christmas. He should head back to Hogwarts and see to it that all of the students got safely on the train. However the nostalgic feeling lingered and he did not feel quite ready to return to the school.

Aimlessly walking he ended up in a park near a shopping mall that had not been there when he was young. The parking lot was full of cars and stressed out muggles managing their shopping before Christmas. Severus scoffed at them and sat down on a bench with his back towards the mall, instead looking out over the small lake where children were ice skating.

He sat like that for a while, allowing the memories of Lily to take hold of him again. Lily that Christmas, Lily playing in the park, Lily on the Hogwarts train, Lily in school, Lily, Lily, Lily.

His chest ached from the fact that she was gone. How he regretted what he had done, the role he had played in her death. It was too late to change anything though. She was dead and gone forever.

“You look sad.”

The voice startled him and he glanced at the child that had spoken, enough to notice that it was a boy with wild black hair. He didn’t answer, didn’t even look at the child for more than a moment. Instead he just schooled his features into the mask he usually wore.

“Are you said because Father Christmas won’t give you anything for Christmas?” the boy continued to ask.

Still Snape did not say anything. That did not seem to affect the boy though.

“Aunt says that only nice people get presents from Father Christmas. She says that if you are not a good little boy then he will give you coal.”

For whatever reason the boy seemed to take Severus’ silence as an invitation, because the boy sat down next to him on the bench. Severus contemplated leaving but his only option was Hogwarts and he still did not feel ready to face all those dunderheads again.

“Dudley says Father Christmas eats bad little boys like me. Do you think that’s true?”

That caught Severus’ attention and he glanced at the boy again. He was looking at the ground, nervously fiddling with the hem of his too large jacket.

“No, I don’t believe he does.”

It was hard to say what surprised him the most, the fact that he had replied at all or that he was actually trying, however halfheartedly, to comfort the child.

“That’s what I told Dudley. But then Dudley said that I wouldn’t know, would I? Since I’m such a bad boy Father Christmas wouldn’t like me to know or I might try to hide when he comes, and he has too many good boys to visit to be bothered to look for bad boys like me before he eats them.”

How he managed to maintain his expressionless mask was a mystery to Severus. He had heard a lot of stupid things in his life but this was the most ridiculous of all. Who had come up with these stupid lies?

“What if Dudley’s right? What if he will try to eat me? Do you think he will?”

“That depends. What did you do?”

In lack of anything else to do he decided that he would humor the boy, for the time being. It didn’t seem like the boy would leave anytime soon anyway.

“I, uh … I was bad. I did something bad. Real bad.”

Chewing his lip the boy glanced at Severus.

“Something freakish.”

Severus did not move a muscle and eventually his patience was rewarded.

“I turned my teacher’s hair blue,” the boy admitted silently.

He raised his eyebrows in surprise but did not say anything.

“I don’t know how it happened, it just did and somehow it was my fault. Aunt says that because I did that I won’t get any presents this year.”

Accidental magic. It wasn’t the first time it got a child in trouble and it certainly wasn’t going to be the last. He wondered how serious this thing about the child not getting any gifts for Christmas was. If it was just that it certainly would not kill the child but if there were more to it …

Snow started falling and the boy looked up, a smile spreading across his face. A moment later the sadness and insecurity was gone and he was up and spinning in the snow, trying to catch the snowflakes on his tongue. Severus decided that the boy was probably just being dramatic.

“It’s snowing!” the boy exclaimed. “It’s snowing, it’s snowing! I love snow!”

Spinning faster and faster the boy moved away from Snape a bit, laughing as he jumped and managed to catch a snowflake on his tongue. Severus watched him, somehow unable not to. There was something about this boy …

Abruptly the spinning ended as the boy stumbled on a stone and fell to the ground. Severus grimaced, expecting there to be tears and a big scene. The boy just sat up calmly, wincing a little as it appeared he had hurt his knee.

“Look at this!” the boy suddenly said, diving towards the ground again.

He held up a five pound note for Severus to see.

“Is this yours?” he asked.

“No.”

Severus did not have any muggle money on him. Amused he watched as the boy looked around as if trying to determine who the rightful owner of the note was but as there were no one near them it was a hopeless case.

“Whose do you think it is?”

“No idea. Whoever finds it get to keep it usually applies in this kind of cases, if I’m not mistaken. “

“You mean I’d keep it?”

The boy sounded astonished by the very idea.

“Why not?” Severus shrugged. “You won’t find the owner now.”

For a moment the boy just sat there on the ground, looking at the note in his hands. Then he looked up at Severus again, as if needing to affirm that he indeed had permission to keep the note.

“I could keep it?” he wondered again.

“Indeed,” Severus replied.

“And … could I buy things with it?”

“If that is what you want, then do it.”

Wow.”

In awe the boy stared at the note for another moment before looking around, apparently already trying to determine what he should spend it on.

“Dudley gets pocket money sometimes,” the boy told him. “I’ve never had money of my own. Uncle says you have to earn it first.”

“That is usually the case, I believe.”

“Mmm. I’ve tried to earn some but I never manage. I’m not good enough. Not like Dudley.”

“Who is this “Dudley” anyway?”

“Dudley’s my cousin. He’s a good boy and he always gets what he wants.”

Was there a tone of bitterness in the boy’s voice? Severus was not sure. If there was it was gone when the boy continued.

“That’s why we are here today. Dudley wanted this computer game but the store near us was out and the only place that had it was here, so Aunt drove all the way here to get it in time for Christmas.”

“And where is your cousin?”

“He’s at the zoo. Aunt and Uncle didn’t want him to find out so Uncle Vernon took him to the zoo while Aunt drove here.”

“Why aren’t you at the zoo with your cousin then? Or with your parents, for that matter?”

“Uncle Vernon didn’t want me to come, since I was bad, so Aunt took me instead.”

When the boy chose not to answer the second question Severus took that to mean that the boy’s parents were either dead or not his guardians. He didn’t press the issue.

“What do you think I should buy for my money?” the boy wondered after a moment.

Looking around a little Snape tried to see if there was anything that would interest a young boy nearby.

“Well, there seems to be a toy store over there. You could always try that, though I doubt five pounds would give you very much.”

“I could buy toys for my own!”

“The grocery store over there no doubt has sweets, if that is what you want to spend your money on.”

Candy!”

Excited the boy stood from the ground, looking around as if the world had suddenly gone full of possibilities.

“I should probably hurry, before Aunt comes back,” the boy mumbled.

“Where is your aunt?” Severus wondered suddenly, realizing that he had not seen the woman yet.

“She’s in there, getting Dudley’s present. I was told to wait by the car.”

“And where is your Aunt’s car?”

“Over there.”

Carelessly the boy waved in the general direction of the parking area. Severus just hoped that he would not get in trouble with the aunt for talking to a child he had never met before.

“I’ll be right back, sir.”

Feet moving quickly the boy scurried over towards the toy store Severus had pointed out. Severus watched after him for a moment before he turned away, once again looking out over the small lake and the children ice skating.

What had he been doing before the boy interrupted? It took him a moment to recall and when he did he realized that some of the self-pity he had wallowed in had evaporated. He had been thinking about Lily. They used to play in the park not far from here. Once she had even taken him ice skating, though Severus had not had any ice skates so he had just settled for playing on the ice with his regular shoes.

Perhaps it was time for him to return to Hogwarts. It was getting late, darkness would soon start falling and there were still students staying at the school over the holidays. Yes, he decided. It was definitely time for him to go back to Hogwarts.

“I didn’t buy any toy. You know what I bought instead?”

Surprised Severus turned to find the boy had once again returned to him. He had his hands behind his back, holding whatever he had spent his money on out of Severus’ sight.

“Sweets?” he guessed.

“Nope. Try again.”

“A book?”

“Ha, no. I bought something much better. See?”

Proudly he brought out a small paper bag, holding it up for Severus to see. It was brown and decorated with a pattern of green holly but there were no telling him what was inside it.

“I bought cupcakes, and a few gingerbread men. Do you want one?”

Before Severus could answer the boy had opened the bag and brought out two gingerbread men, holding one of them out towards Severus. Awkwardly Severus accepted it, though he did not move to taste it. Rather he looked closer at the boy, noticing that the well-worn clothes he was wearing were several sizes too large and that he did not have anything on his head, despite the snow that was still falling. Then his eyes met a pair of startling green eyes. His breath caught in his throat for a moment.

As Severus watched the boy ate first the gingerbread man, briefly closing his eyes as he enjoyed the taste, and then moved on the one of the cupcakes in the bag. He could not tear his eyes away from the boy now when he had looked at him properly, for the first time. There was something about that boy, something that seemed familiar, and yet … Those eyes were just like Lily’s, but this boy couldn’t possibly be hers, could he?

“Boy! Get over here, we’re leaving!”

At the call the boy startled, looking over at the parking lot where a woman was standing next to one of the cars, looking out over the park.

“Oh. I’ve got to go.”

Hesitantly the boy looked at the bag in his arms.

“Here,” he said, handing the bag to Severus. “You can have what’s left. Then you won’t have to be sad about Father Christmas anymore.”

With a last, wide smile the boy ran off towards his aunt, leaving a baffled Severus to stare after him

 

 

 

The End.
He Comes at Night by MsHuntergrl

“Ten points from Gryffindor for running in the hallways, Ms. Porritt.”

The third year did not even bother to argue, as she had nearly run into the professor, and merely lowered her pace to a more sedate walking as she continued towards the Entrance Hall where her friends were waiting for her.

Severus scowled to himself. How hard cold it be to follow the few rules the school had?

He continued on his way towards his quarters. It was Christmas Eve and nearly two days since he had met the strange boy in Cokeworth. Still he had not been able to push the boy out of his mind for more than a few hours at a time.

That boy could not have been Harry Potter, he told himself. Potter was the hero of the magical world and no doubt being spoiled rotten by his doting relatives. And even if it had indeed ben Potter that he had met there were no signs that anything were seriously wrong. So the boy had been worried that he would not get any presents for Christmas, but wasn’t that a punishment for having misbehaved? Discipline was not the same thing as abuse or mistreatment.

Even so those eyes, so hauntingly like Lily’s, followed him wherever he went, urging him to do something.

“Severus! Enjoying the holidays, I assume?”

Dumbledore had just left the Great Hall in time to see Severus before he continued down into the dungeons.

“Indeed, headmaster,” Severus replied, his voice devoid of any emotions.

“You should see the decorations Filius is setting up. He’s really outdone himself this year!”

“Like every year then.”

Nodding shortly towards each other they separated and headed in their separate directions, Severus towards the dungeons and Dumbledore towards the staircase. Severus halted just on top of the stairs, hesitating a moment before he turned around.

“Headmaster?” he called after the elder man.

“Yes, Severus? Is there anything I can do for you?”

He felt ridiculous. There was no way that Harry Potter was mistreated. After all, the boy was not only the hero of the magical world but also the son of two of Dumbledore’s favorite students. The old man would not allow anything to happen to the child.

“You … mentioned some time ago, that the child was well taken care of, did you not?” he asked slowly.

To say that it was “some time ago” was an understatement and it showed in how the headmaster did not immediately catch on.

“What child, Severus?”

Her child.”

“Lily’s child? You mean Harry? Yes, he’s living with his aunt and uncle.”

“And he is … cared for, by his relatives?”

It wasn’t just that he felt ridiculous; he must be sounding ridiculous as well! Even so there was something within Severus that did not want to rest before he had assured himself that everything was fine with Lily’s child.

“I have a contact in the area who would have contacted me if there were any signs that something was not as it should.”

Which really should be more than enough to calm any worries he might have. Not that he was really worried, he hurried to remind himself.

“Is he … happy?” he asked.

The question was irrational and unnecessary. One did not need to be happy in order to be alive and well, Severus knew that. Even so he could not stop the question from escaping his lips, the memory of the boy from the park playing over and over in his mind.

“I don’t know, Severus,” Dumbledore replied, sounding serious. “He has lost his parents and most likely he has no memory of them. We can only hope that he can overcome his loss.”

“I understand, headmaster.”

“Is there any particular reason you asked, Severus?”

“No.”

“Are you sure? You have never shown any interest in the boy before?”

“I’m sure, headmaster.”

He turned around to leave and was already several steps down the staircase when he heard Dumbledore’s voice behind him again.

“If you want I could give you his address, and you could go check on him yourself, Severus.”

HPHPHPHPHPHP

Late on Christmas Eve Severus sat awake by the fire in his quarters. In his hands he held the note with the address to Lily’s child. He had not made up his mind yet, if he should go and see the child.

What if the boy was just like his father, spoiled and arrogant with a huge pile of gifts waiting for him in the morning? That would ruin any chance Severus had of ever seeing anything of Lily in him. It would mean that whatever hope he had nurtured that there were a small part of her alive would be forever lost.

Then again, what if the boy was more like his mother than his father? Would Severus be able to stand seeing the boy then, or would his likeness to his mother be a constant reminder of Severus’ own failures and shortcomings in life? Could he risk that?

In his mind the memory of the boy in the park kept repeating itself. Severus could not help but notice the boy’s worn clothes, the fact that he did not expect to receive any gifts at all or that he kept referring to himself as a bad boy. That boy was neither Lily nor James. He wasn’t even sure if it had really been Harry Potter. Most likely it had not, he told himself.

Even so, something about the boy had stuck with him and a part of him wanted to make sure that the boy was fine.

Finally he made his decision and stood, getting his cloak and some floo powder from the pot on the mantle of his fireplace. In a matter of moments he had flooed to The Three Broomsticks. He did not stop to think things through, or he would have changed his mind and gone back to the castle. After all, he was a spy and had learned to trust his instincts. Too much thinking was just as bad as too little.

Briskly he stepped out of the inn and apparated away.

He appeared again in an alleyway a few quarters away from the address he was seeking. Having already memorized the address he confidently stepped out of the shadows and started following the signs leading him towards Privet Drive.

Within a few minutes he was there, searching each identical house for the number he was after. Number twelve had lights that kept blinking in red and green at him. Number eight seemed empty, the residents apparently spending the holidays elsewhere. Number six had a few discrete lanterns. Finally he reached the house he had been looking for.

Number four Privet Drive did in no way stand out from the surrounding houses. The decorations were not more lavish or expensive than those of any other house, the façade was neat and orderly and there were a car of similar model as the ones standing on the driveways of the neighbors’.

This was where Harry Potter lived. Vaguely he wondered how people would react if they knew their hero lived in such an ordinary setting.

A quick spell disarmed any alarms the family might have on the door and another one unlocked it, allowing Severus to enter without problems. The house smelled distinctly of cleaning detergent and cookies. Everything seemed very orderly, like someone spent a lot of time cleaning and making sure everything were where it should be.

On the walls there were photos of the happy family living there. Severus saw a woman with a horse-like face he recognized as Petunia, alongside a very large man and a rather large boy that resembled the large man greatly. There were no photos of any other child, making Severus wonder if Potter even lived here.

In the living room a large, plastic Christmas three stood in the corner. Underneath it, and strewn randomly around the room, lay what must be at least thirty Christmas presents of different size and color. Severus picked one up and read the tag; Merry Christmas To Duddykins from Mommy! A quick scan of the other presents revealed that all of them wore similar tags.

So Harry Potter really was not going to get any presents for Christmas. How ironic. Slightly worrisome too, if he was to be perfectly honest.

Well, merely a lack of presents for Christmas was no sign of serious mistreatment or abuse. He decided to take a closer look at the house and cast a quick Notice Me Not charm on himself, in case someone would wake up.

The kitchen smelled strongly of all kinds of festive foods that had been prepared but held no further clues to Harry Potter. Severus headed for the hallway again and up the stairs to the second floor.

He found three sleeping muggles, two adults and one child, three bedrooms, one sewing room and a bathroom. None of the rooms held any signs that there was another boy living in the house. By now a feeling that something was seriously wrong was starting to take hold of him. Where had Harry Potter gone? If he wasn’t living here, then where was he?

Exasperated he went down to the first floor again, wondering what he should do next. He should probably return to Hogwarts and tell Dumbledore that Potter had gone missing. There would be uproar in the magical world if the news of Potter’s disappearance got out but they could not risk him getting hurt or even killed.

A small sound caught his attention. Looking around he tried to determine where it came from. His eyes fell in the cupboard beneath the stairs. Were there rats at such a clean place at this? He found it hard to believe but what else could it have been?

Slowly he stepped closer to the door, noticing the lock as he did so. Why was there a lock on the cupboard? Was it some sort of method to childproof the house? The boy Severus had seen seemed too old to need such measurements to be taken, but then again, these were muggles he was dealing with.

From the living room the lights of the Christmas three provided just enough light for him to see what he was doing. He unlocked the lock and gently pulled the door open, trying to make as little sound as possible in case the muggles would wake up.

There, on a cot directly on the floor, lay the boy Severus remembered from the park. He had a blanket wrapped around himself and lay still, eyes closed in sleep. What was this boy doing in the cupboard? Was this some sort of game? Something within him clenched and he swallowed to bring some moisture to his suddenly dry throat.

“Are you going to eat me?”

Despite the low tone of the question Severus was startled. He stared at the child, which still lay perfectly still with his eyes closed.

“Will it hurt?” the boy asked after another moment, when Severus did not reply.

Eyes clenched tighter shut and the little body curled in on itself a little.

“No, I’m not going to eat you.”

A moment later the eyes flew open and Severus found himself the focus of those green eyes once again.

 “I recognize you! You’re the man from the park.”

Potter tilted his head a little as he looked at Severus, obviously confused.

“I thought Father Christmas was supposed to be fat, and have white hair and a red coat and a large sack to carry all the presents in. Are you Father Christmas?”

“No, I am not Father Christmas!”

“Then what are you doing here in the middle of the night?”

What should he do now? The plan had been to never be discovered. He would go in and out without anyone ever noticing him being there.

“I could ask you the same. Why aren’t you in bed?”

He thought of the third bedroom, which he had thought was a guestroom. It must be Potter’s room after all.

“I am in my bed,” the boy told him.

“This isn’t a bed. It’s a cupboard under the stairs.”

“It’s where I sleep.”

 “Why would you sleep here and not in one of the bedrooms?”

Chewing his lip a little the boy hesitated before he answered again, then in a low voice, almost as if he didn’t want Severus to hear him, he said:

“Aunt and Uncle say that only good boys get a bedroom.”

“Only …”

Severus could not even bring himself to repeat what the boy had just told him. He’d had a bad feeling about how the boy always spoke of himself as a bad boy but this really took the price! For a moment he did not know what to say or how to react.

“You don’t have a bedroom?” he repeated, just to make sure he had understood the situation correctly.

“No. Though Aunt and Uncle say Dudley might get a second one to have all his toys in.”

“And you will not get any presents for Christmas?”

“Not even any of Dudley’s hand me downs.”

Rubbing his temples Severus swore silently. He really had hoped that things would be well and fine. As it was it meant that he had to find out exactly how bad the situation was and, depending on how bad it was, act on it. It did not look like he would get back to Hogwarts anytime soon.

“Come out of there,” he told the child. “We need to talk.”

Potter scrambled out of his blanket and followed Severus into the living room where they both took a seat, Severus in the armchair and Potter at the edge of the sofa.

“I need to know how your family is treating you,” Severus told the child.

“Why is that?”

“Because I need to. Now, are they giving you enough food to eat?”

“Yes sir.”

“Three meals a day?”

“Yes sir. Unless I’m bad, because if I am Uncle Vernon makes me go to bed without dinner.”

“Do they beat you?”

“Only if I’m bad or if I’m in the way or something.”

As he asked the questions Severus looked the boy in the eyes and silently dove into his mind. It was only a very light legilimency. Severus was only just scratching on the surface. The boy was naturally very open and so it took little prompt from Severus’ side to see the boy’s memories flash by. There were memories of going to bed without dinner for days on end, of being carelessly pushed aside for being in the way or slapped over the head, just because he happened to be standing close by and be a suitable target for frustration.

Potter squirmed a little in his seat, looking curiously at Severus.

“Who are you?” the boy asked. “I mean, you said you weren’t Father Christmas …”

The question broke Severus’ concentration and he let the boy’s mind go.

“My name is Severus Snape,” he replied. “I … I was a friend of your mother’s.”

“You knew my mom?”

“Indeed. We were friends as children. In fact we met not far from where I met you.”

“Really? My mom used to live there?”

“Didn’t your aunt tell you that much?”

Frowning a little the boy looked down at the rug, looking unhappy.

“Aunt doesn’t like to talk about mom. Says she was a shame to the family anyway.”

“Who was a shame to the family?”

Had Severus been in his classroom his students would have recognized the dangerous tone in his voice. Young Harry though seemed entirely oblivious.

“My mom. And dad too, by the way.”

“Lily was the finest person I knew! She is by no means a shame to anyone, least of all her family!”

“I think that what really bothers Aunt is the part about the drugs and alcohol and that …”

“Drugs? Alcohol?”

Puzzled Severus looked at the boy in front of him. Potter met his eyes quickly and then looked away, as if embarrassed to even talk about these things.

“Yeah, drugs. Uncle says mom and dad were on drugs already before they left school, and that that is why I’m the way I am.”

For one, breathtaking moment Severus thought he would lose control over his magic. He felt it flare up from the ever present glow within him to a furious inferno ready to explode and take the whole house, and it inhabitants, with it in the explosion. These muggles had told the boy that Lily had been nothing but a drug addict.

Then he managed to regain control over his magic and reign it in somewhat, though he was well aware that the furniture had rattled against the floor a moment ago.

“You, boy, are coming with me. Gather whatever belongings you wish to bring. You are not coming back.”

 

The End.
The Savior Has Come to Hogwarts! by MsHuntergrl

Surprisingly Potter had raised no arguments when Severus told him he was going to leave his aunt and uncle for good. It only served to prove even further to Severus that taking the boy away was the right thing to do.

No, getting the boy away from Privet drive had not been the problem. In fact it had been almost too easy and he decided that he would teach the boy not to trust strangers so easily sometime soon.

It was when they came upon the subject of magic that the real problems began. Apparently the boy had no problems to believe in a big man in red clothes flying a sleigh pulled by reindeers around the world, but immediately rejected the idea of wizards as impossible. Not even when Severus explained that James and Lily had been magical and attended Hogwarts did the boy want to listen. Having had enough for one night, the headache that had been building for hours now reaching its crescendo, Severus simply grabbed the child and apparated them both away.

They appeared again on a side street in Hogsmeade. Severus maintained his hold on the boy’s arm, holding him steady as he stumbled, and a moment later his shoes had been drowned in the remains of Potter’s dinner.

For a moment Severus stood absolutely still while Potter retched in his arms. Then the putrid smell reached his nose and he let go of the boy. Potter stumbled to the side and fell to his knees, emptying his stomach again.

Severus swore silently to himself. He had forgotten that children and apparition did not mix very well. Well, he would just have to accept the situation as it was now, then. They would not need to apparate again so the worst part should be over already anyway.

With a swing of his wand he vanished the puke on his shoes. Another swing and a muttered charm and he had sent his patronus in advance with orders to wake the headmaster. As troublesome as this night had turned Severus realized that he would have to involve the headmaster.

“Come on Potter. Get up!”

The boy moaned but did as he was told, to Severus’ satisfaction.

“Where are we?” the boy asked, looking around at the new surroundings. “How did we get here? What happened?”

“We are in Hogsmeade,” Severus said, starting to walk towards the castle. “I apparated us here, with magic. It’s a common way for wizards to get from one location to another.”

“I don’t think I like magic very much.”

“You will learn.”

For a while they walked in silence, Potter struggling to keep up with the longer strides of Severus and Severus too thin on patience to slow said stride.

“Sir? Where are we going?” Potter asked after a while.

“I told you, to Hogwarts.”

“And Hogwarts really is a magical school where my mom and dad learned magic?”

“Yes.”

“And you are one of the teachers?”

“Indeed, though the term “Professor” would be more accurate.”

“You don’t look much like a wizard.”

“Are you questioning my ability to perform magic?”

“No, no, not at all. It’s just that I thought wizards were supposed to be older, you know?”

“One is not born old, Mr. Potter.”

The more questions Potter asked the quicker Severus walked, forcing Potter to run to keep up with him. Soon enough they had left the village behind them and started the climb towards Hogwarts. They rounded a curve in the path and the Hogwarts castle was in full view. Behind him Severus could hear Potter gasp.

That is Hogwarts?”

“What had you expected? A pile of ruins?”

Severus led the boy up to the castle. In the corner of his eye he could see Potter looking around with huge, twinkling eyes.

In the Entrance Hall they were met by the headmaster, dressed in his red night robe and a matching nightcap, and Severus steeled himself. Dumbledore had been the one to place Potter at his relatives’ house and surely he would not be happy about Severus taking the boy away.

“Severus, what’s the meaning of this?” Dumbledore asked, his voice low and soft, containing only the barest touch of disappointment.

A pair of small hands attached themselves to Severus’ cloak and suddenly the Potter boy was pressing himself tightly against Severus. Severus glanced down at the boy, confused. Potter was watching the headmaster.

“I did as you suggested, Headmaster,” Severus explained. “I went to see how the boy was and found that is living conditions were beneath all standards.”

“Surely you must be exaggerating, Severus?”

“I assure you that I am not.”

“I was told the boy was just fine!”

“Of course he is. If “fine” includes being made to sleep in a cupboard underneath the stairs, or being sent to bed without dinner for days on end, or being pushed around and slapped for the smallest of reasons.”

His voice was heavy with irony and he glared at the elder man, daring him to oppose Severus’ decision. For a moment the headmaster’s face was just blank and Severus feared that perhaps the headmaster had known about these things after all.

“Are you sure, Severus?”

Now the headmaster sounded simply old and tired. Some of the anger left Severus. It seemed that there would be no need for him to fight the headmaster over this.

“I am,” he confirmed.

They exchanged a look that clearly said that they would be speaking more about the subject later, when they were alone, before the headmaster turned to Harry, who was still clinging to Severus’ robes.

“Hello Harry. Won’t you come closer so I can have a better look at you?”

Harry shook his head and pressed even closer to Severus, hiding his face against Severus’ back. It was an odd feeling, having a child pressed so closely to one’s body, and Severus was not at all sure that he liked it.

“Why not, Harry? Come on, my boy, let me see you!”

Again the boy shook his head. He said something too, but whatever it was it was muffled against Severus back and unintelligible.

“Come on, Potter!” Severus said, trying to push the boy away. “Stop this nonsense!”

“I don’t want to be eaten!” Potter exclaimed, fighting to wrap himself around Severus.

“The headmaster isn’t going to eat you boy!”

“Bud Dudley says that Father Christmas does eat bad boys. Please don’t let him eat me!”

The two adults exchanged a confused glance. Severus could not help but smirk a little as he realized what Potter’s problem was.

“Mr. Potter,” he said, grabbing the boy’s arms and holding him away from his body, “this is Albus Dumbledore. He is the headmaster of Hogwarts. He is not Father Christmas, despite his atrocious clothes.” 

“But he looks like Santa!” Potter insisted.

“And your uncle looks like a walrus but that doesn’t make him one, does it?”

Stopping to think about that for a moment Potter tilted his head a little.

“I guess not,” Potter admitted.

“So say hello to the headmaster. He’s not going to eat you.”

Still the boy did not look overly convinced but he did as Severus told him and turned towards the headmaster.

“Hello, sir,” he said.

“Hello, Harry, my boy. I can assure you that there is no need to be afraid of me.”

“If you say so, sir …”

Dumbledore smiled at the boy and stuck one hand into one of his pockets, searching for something.

“Would you like a lemon drop?” he asked, holding out a sweet towards the boy.

Potter eyed the candy suspiciously before he took it. As Potter placed the sweet into his mouth Dumbledore smiled and turned to Severus again.

“We’ll have to make some sort of arrangements for him in the morning but until then, would you mind letting the boy sleep in your quarters, Severus?”

His immediate instinct was to say yes and refuse to take the boy in. Then he looked down at the boy and noticed that he was still standing much closer to him than to Dumbledore. It had been a long night and apparently the boy had decided, for whatever reason, that Severus was trustworthy.

“Fine,” he said. “But it is only for one night.”

“Wonderful! Now, I believe it is time we all go to bed. Breakfast is only in a few hours.”

They parted and Severus headed down to the dungeons where his quarters lay, Potter following behind as he tried to eye the Christmas decorations put up randomly throughout the school.

“Joy to the world! The Lord is come; Let earth receive her King!”

As they passed a suit of armor the blasted thing began to sing. Severus tried to ignore it, as he always did, but Potter jumped and stared at it with huge eyes.

“Is that thing singing?” he asked.

“Let every heart prepare him room, and heaven and nature sing …”

“Obviously, Potter, now come along.”

“How is it doing that?”

Instead of doing as told Potter slowly stepped closer to the suit of armor, head tilted to the side as he eyed it. This seemed to cheer the armor on and it began to dance as well.

“Joy to the world, the savior reigns. Let men their songs employ!”

“Wonderful, now it’s going to continue doing that all night! Come on Potter!”

With a, perhaps a little brusque, grip on Potter’s arm Severus dragged the boy along. It had been a long day, for both him and the boy probably, and Severus wanted nothing more than to get some sleep.

“These are my quarters, Potter,” Severus explained, once they had reached them. “This is the living room, the bathroom is over there.”

Curiously the boy looked around at the place where he would spend the rest of the night. Severus was already starting to regret his decision. Did he want a small child in his quarters even for one night? No! Too many things could go wrong.

“You are not allowed to touch anything, is that understood?”

He waited for Potter to nod before he continued.

“You’ll sleep on the couch, for tonight. I’ll be in my bedroom, over there, and you are not to come bother me unless there is a dire emergency. Are there any questions so far?”

“No sir.”

“Then you should go to bed.”

“May I use the bathroom first?”

While Potter used the bathroom Severus got out a blanket and a pillow for Potter to use. It would not be very comfortable to sleep on the couch but compared to sleeping in a cupboard it would have to do, at least for now.

“Why don’t you have any Christmas decorations, sir?” Potter wondered when he returned.

“Because decorations are foolish nonsense that serve no purpose what so ever. No get on the couch!”

Potter did as told, pulling the blanket over him and resting his head against the pillow. Severus was just about to leave the room when Potter spoke again.

“Thank you sir, for doing all of this.”

He closed his eyes and just a few moments later Severus could tell that Potter was asleep.

Severus went into his bedroom, muttering silently about dunderheaded boys and how unnecessary it was with decorations for Christmas, or any other time of the year for that matter.

HPHPHPHPHPHP

On the morning of Christmas day Severus woke to the sound of laughter. Before he was fully awake he wrinkled his eyebrows in thought, wondering where this sound was coming from. Laughter was rarely heard in his presence and especially not in his quarters. Then the memories of last night returned.

“Potter!” he swore silently.

The boy must be up to something. He should have known better than to leave the boy alone for even a moment!

Quickly he pulled his night robe on and put his feet into a pair of slippers. If Potter thought he could do as he pleased in Severus’ quarters then Severus would very soon teach him that so was not the case!

Mr. Potter, what are you …”

For once in his life Severus found himself speechless as he entered his living room. Where there had only a few, short hours ago been bare walls and a distinctive lack of decorations, there were now holly hanging on the walls, a Christmas tree standing in one corner, complete with a few colorfully wrapped packages beneath it, and even a little puppet dancing and singing on a Christmas Carol. It was the doll that had Potter’s attention and it upped its ante at the boy’s obvious appreciation.

“What, exactly, do you think you are doing, Mr. Potter?” Severus asked once he had regained his composure again.

“Oh, good morning Mr. Snape. And Merry Christmas!”

“Oh Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way!” the puppet sang.

The smile the boy flashed his way did nothing to appease Severus’ ire.

“I repeat, Mr. Potter; what do you think you are doing?”

“Oh, what fun it is to ride, in a one horse open sleigh!”

“I’m just watching the doll, Mr. Snape. I haven’t touched anything. Unless you count the couch, or the blanket and the pillow, or the floor, or …”

“That’s enough, Potter. How did all of this get in here?”

He gestured around the room. The puppet had grown silent, apparently sensing that its singing was no longer welcome. At least it seemed to be more sensitive that way than the suits of armor in the rest of the castle, Severus thought to himself.

“I don’t know, sir. I thought maybe you did it?”

“I most certainly did not!”

“Oh, well, then I don’t know. Perhaps it’s some sort of magic?”

With that the boy turned back to the doll, which eagerly began to sing and dance again. Severus scowled and headed towards the bathroom. If he was not mistaken he had a headache potion in one of the cupboards and it looked like he would need it.

Once he emerged from a long, cold shower Severus felt much better about himself. He thought he had figured things out and could not wait to confront his suspect.

“Get dressed, Potter!” Severus ordered. “Breakfast in the Great Hall starts in ten minutes.”

While the boy used the bathroom Severus went up to the Christmas three and took a closer look at the presents beneath it. There were three of them; two for Potter and one, surprisingly, for Severus. All three were from “Santa”, though that was obviously the kind of nonsense that only a certain headmaster would come up with to hide his own involvement.

“I’m ready, sir.”

Together they made their way through the corridors and up to the Great Hall. There were only a few students awake yet and, though they glanced curiously, they did not pay too much attention to the little boy following their Potions Professor to the head table. Potter for his part seemed barely aware of the students, being much too occupied staring at the huge Christmas trees or the magical snow falling from the ceiling.

“Good morning, my boys! Had a nice night, I hope?” Dumbledore greeted them cheerily.

“I did, headmaster, until I awoke this morning to find what state my quarters had been reduced to!” Severus replied icily.

Though Potter gave the headmaster a quick smile he chose the chair that gave him the most possible space between himself and the headmaster.

“Something happened to your quarters, my boy?”

“Don’t pretend like you do not know anything about …” Severus began, only to be interrupted a moment later.

“Go on Harry, my boy, take some breakfast. I myself am especially fond of this jam. Try some, won’t you?”

Seemingly oblivious to the icy glare Severus was sending him the headmaster passed a jar of jam towards Potter, who accepted it and hesitantly put it on a piece of bread.

“I’m sorry, Severus. You were saying ..?”

“I was saying that my quarters are in an abominable state and I really do think that there should be some acceptance as to other people’s privacy!”

“What’s happened to your quarters, Severus?”

“Don’t act like you do not know what I am talking about!”

“I’m afraid I really do not know what you are referring to, Severus.”

Their eyes met. After a few moments Severus looked away. There were only truth in the headmaster’s eyes and though he could most certainly be a convincing liar Severus did not believe he was lying this time.

“Why don’t you tell me what happened?” Dumbledore suggested. 

“There were … Several items of questionable character and origin had without my validation been placed at various places throughout my rooms.”

“I suppose it is not Dark Arts Artifacts you mean by “items of questionable character and origin”, or I suspect this conversation would have been entirely different.”

Someone has seen fit to decorate my rooms in the most ridiculous adornments!”

For a moment the two adults just stared at each other. The surprise on Dumbledore’s face was genuine.

“They are not ridiculous at all, sir, if you don’t mind me saying so. I don’t believe even Aunt Petunia has anything quite like it,” Potter commented.

The boy took another bite from his bread. Dumbledore chuckled and Severus scowled. Since when did Potter have the right to have an opinion about how Severus’ quarters should look?

“Yes, Christmas at Hogwarts is something quite special,” the headmaster agreed.

“It sure is! Did you know there is a suit of armor that sings Christmas Carols? And last night it even danced!”

“I know they tend to embrace the spirit of the season, yes.”

“And there was this puppet in Mr. Snape’s living room that sang and danced, and there was a Christmas tree and holly and, and …”

Whatever the boy continued to say Severus tuned it out. He had never been a very festive man and generally preferred peace and quiet to any holiday.

“I suppose you haven’t gotten any presents yet, Harry. We’ll have to see what we can dig out,” the headmaster said towards the end of breakfast.

“I’ll get presents?”

“Of course. No reason to have a Christmas tree if there are no gifts to place beneath it.”

“There were presents too,” Potter confided.

“Really now? Did you have a closer look?”

Blushing a little Potter looked down, casting a quick glance at Severus.

“I did,” he admitted. “I looked at one of them and it said for Mr. Snape. I didn’t touch anything, though. I’m not supposed to touch.”

With Potter looking for all the world like he expected to be scolded Severus found he did not even want to berate the child. After all, Potter was a young boy in a magical castle at Christmas and he had so far behaved amazingly well.

“I believe,” Severus said, raising his cup of tea to his lips, “that the other two gifts were addressed to you, Mr. Potter, and not me.”

“There were presents for me? Really?”

Astonishment laced the boy’s voice. Severus nodded. Immediately the boy smiled, a huge and wide smile that would have looked entirely Potter had it not been for Lily’s glittering eyes.

“Can we go back, sir? Can I open them? Please?”

“Finish your breakfast first and then we’ll go.”

Very carefully Severus ignored the meaningful look Dumbledore was giving him, as Potter finished his breakfast within moments and dragged Severus with him out of the Great Hall.

“I didn’t think I’d get any presents,” the boy told him. “Who do you think it’s from?”

“Deck the halls with boughs of holly, fa la la la la, la la la la …” the armor began to sing as they passed it.

“Aunt and Uncle said they wouldn’t get me anything this year,” Potter continued, not giving Severus a chance to answer. “Do you think they changed their mind? I suppose not but who else would give me anything?”

Lily had talked too much and too fast when she was nervous or excited, Severus remembered. Had her son inherited the habit?

Finally they reached Severus’ quarters and Potter practically dove underneath the Christmas tree, coming out with the three presents.

“Uhm … this one’s for you, sir,” he said, pushing one of the presents towards Severus. “This one’s for … me! And this one too!”

Picking up the gift that was for him Severus sat on the couch. Turning the package over in his hands he tried to figure out what it might be. It felt like a book but that was all he could make out. Who would send him a book and claim that it was from Santa?

“Oh, candy!”

Looking up from his own presents Severus noticed that Potter had unwrapped his first gift, which was a box filled to the brim with sweets. From what Severus could see there were both muggle candy and wizard sweets.

“What’s this? Chocolate frogs? I’ve never seen these before. Don’t think Dudley’s ever had any.”

As Potter opened the box the frog jumped and a chase around the living room ensued.

“Calm down Potter!”

There really was not much need for the order because Potter was very careful in his chase, in the way only one used to being scolded for everything and nothing would be. Nevertheless Potter calmed down and Severus would not have to worry about his rooms being torn down because of a thoughtless child.

Slowly Severus unwrapped his own gift to reveal a green book. He turned it over to see the front where he could read the words ‘Raising a Magical Child; A Helpful Guide on How to Encourage and Discipline a Magical Child’.

Scoffing he threw the book aside. Obviously this was some sort of joke.

Cool! It’s awesome! What is it?”

Again focusing on Potter he learned that Potter had now opened the second gift, which was, much to Severus’ horror, a toy broom. The toy was red and green and had a comfortable seat for the flyer to sit on.

“It’s a broom,” Severus moaned.

“I know it’s a broom! But it’s no regular broom, is it? It looks nothing like the usual ones.”

Who was so cruel as to set this up? Here he was with Lily’s child, which also happened to be the spawn of James Potter, and someone saw fit to gift the boy with a broom of all things! Was someone trying to make this Christmas miserable for him?

Wow!”

And now, while Severus had been feeling sorry for himself, Potter had managed to get the damn thing to levitate a few feet off the ground.

“I think I might like magic after all,” Potter stated, standing up.

“Do not mount that broom inside!” Severus immediately said, sternly.

Potter froze, that obviously having been his plan, and looked hesitantly at Severus.

Lily’s eyes. Potter’s face. Lily’s pouting lip when she really wanted something but could not get it. Potter’s natural handling of the broom. The headache potion he had ingested earlier would not be enough.

“That is a flying broom, Mr. Potter. It is not to be used inside. If you wish to ride it you will do so outside, where there are more room and less likely for you to crash into a wall. Have I made myself clear?”

“Yes sir. May I go outside then?”

Sighing Severus stood and went to get his cloak. It was only for a couple of hours, he told himself. The headmaster would make other, more suitable arrangements and then Severus could go back to his peaceful life. Until then he would just have to make the best of the situation.

 

 

The End.
Silent Night by MsHuntergrl

As expected Harry Potter was a natural on a broom. This broom was merely a toy and would not rise very high or go very fast but not even Severus could deny that Potter managed the broom with great instincts. It would have been depressing to watch had it not been that the boy kept laughing, and his laugh sounded too much like that of his mother to ever be mistaken for his father’s.

At lunch Potter chattered happily with the headmaster, apparently over any lingering fear of the man. Severus was not sure if that was a good thing or a bad. The chattering was giving him a headache.

After lunch he found himself mercifully relieved of his baby sitting duty and he returned to his quarters to read a book. For two straight hours he did not move more than to turn pages every once in a while.

Eventually he grew bored of reading and his eyes began to wander. The Christmas decorations did not sting in his eyes quite as badly as they had that morning and the puppet had, very wisely, remained silent in Severus’ presence.

How had all of this appeared? The only thing that seemed even remotely likely was that it was some sort of burst of accidental magic from the boy. Severus had never heard of anything like it but what else could it possibly be?

Around dinner time Severus left his quarters once again. He wondered if the headmaster had come up with any better arrangements yet. Potter still had his backpack in Severus’ quarters so he knew the boy had not left yet but logically he should have to leave soon. What was that strange feeling in his chest at the thought of Potter leaving?

“Mr. Snape!”

As soon as Severus appeared in the entrance hall Potter came running towards him, throwing his arms around Severus’ waist and hugging him. Severus stood awkwardly still, hoping that the boy would let go soon.

“Mr. Hagrid and I have been exploring the castle! It’s amazing, did you know?” the boy told him as he finally let go of Severus’ waist, only to grab his hand instead. “The stairs are moving and at first I was a little bit scared, because I haven’t really seen any moving stairs before, but then I wasn’t.”

Together they entered the Great Hall for dinner, Potter happily telling Severus about his day and Severus struggling to take in the flood of information he was getting.

“And there are suits of armor everywhere and they all sing, though not the same song, and the portraits move and sometimes they even talk!”

Now the students were whispering and looking over at Potter often. Severus supposed someone had finally figured out who the boy was.

“And there’s a huge library with thousands of books and a librarian named Madam Pince, and she’s really protective about her books! Like really, really protective! But she helped me find this story book for me to read and it’s really nice and all but the stories are so strange!”

“Quite an eager little one, isn’t he?” Dumbledore commented silently to Severus.

“Indeed,” Severus agreed.

Potter continued to speak but Severus only listened with half an ear, toning most of it out. It was clear that the boy had been enjoying the day.

“I remember someone else who used to talk a lot when she got excited.”

“He is not his mother,” Severus said, suddenly needing to point it out.

“He is not his father either.”

“No. He’s a mix of them.”

He realized that it was true. This boy was not Lily nor was he James Potter. There were elements of them both in him but together they formed a unity that could only be described as Harry Potter.

It was a strange thought. Lily was dead, the mere thought of her brought painful sorrow, and he had hated James Potter. This boy however was something entirely different. There was something about him that fascinated Severus, that had done so even after their very first meeting, and whatever it was it was not simply Lily’s eyes or Potter’s hair.

“Did you know there are ghosts as well? I met one, a real nice one! His head was almost the whole way off …”

How Potter did Severus could not understand but he managed to continue chattering throughout the dinner, yet still eat a healthy portion of the food and two servings of desert. The wonders of young boys, Severus supposed.

“By the way, Severus, I have been trying to come up with an alternative accommodation but it seems to be more troublesome than I had expected. Would you mind taking the boy for another night?”

“How hard can it be to find someone that wants to take him in?”

“Oh, that part is not hard at all. The hard part is to find someone suitable for it as well.”

“No need to coddle the boy, Albus. He’s not made out of glass.”

“Even so, Severus, not everyone is fit to raise a child such as him. Would you take him another night? He seems to have taken a liking to you.”

On principle he wanted to refuse. He was not going to get stuck on permanent Potter-watch! But as Potter reached for a gingerbread man and took two, handing one to Severus, Severus found he did not mind that much after all.

“As you wish, Albus. I will take him for another night. One night only, mind you.”

The headmaster beamed at him and Severus turned away to chew on his sweet, pretending like he did not know what the elder man was plotting.

HPHPHPHPHPHP

That night Christmas Carols were playing at the radio. The Dursleys sat in uncomfortable chairs in an empty room at the hospital. They looked tired, almost exhausted, and the officer sitting there with them hesitated before he spoke to them.

“I’m sorry for what happened to you, Mr. and Mrs. Dursley. It is a hard blow to lose one’s home. Can you tell me what happened before the fire broke loose?”

For a moment the young officer did not think he would get any answer. Their eyes seemed dull and the nurse had told him that they were still in shock. However he still had a job to do and it was necessary for them to find out how the fire in question had started.

“We were …” Mrs. Dursley cleared her throat and began over again. “We were opening the presents.”

“I see. Where there many presents?”

Getting them to talk was his primal goal. Details as to the number of presents had no meaning to him but it could perhaps serve to help them focus on something else.

“There were a few of them, yes,” Mrs. Dursley confirmed. “We, Vernon and I, always strive to give Duddy whatever he wants. Especially for Christmas.”

“Of course you do.”

“Cost a bloody fortune too,” Mr. Dursley commented. “Toys these days … Overprized …”

Mrs. Dursley laid her hand on her husband’s arm, seemingly to calm him down. The officer waited with his questions until the man had calmed down again. On top of everything else a heart attack was the last thing the family needed.

“So, you were opening presents. Young Dudley was happy, I assume, laughing and playing with his new toys. Then what happened?”

They exchanged looks. The officer got the feeling that they both wished they had rehearsed a story before this.

“I opened the last present.”

Surprised the officer moved his attention from the parents to the young boy, who was sitting next to his mother.

“And what was in the last present?” the officer asked, making his voice a little softer.

“A computer game.”

“A computer game? That must have been exciting, wasn’t it?”

“No,” the boy said, starting to look angry.

“No? Why not?”

“It was the wrong game!”

“Well, we all make mistakes, don’t we? Anyway …”

“I wanted the other game! Not that one, the other one! I want it now!”

Seeing as her son was about to throw a tantrum Mrs. Dursley turned towards her son and tried to calm him down.

“Youthful energy,” said Mr. Dursley, gesturing towards his son. “Always have known what he wants and he will make sure he gets it!”

The laughter that followed was empty and ended before it really began. What kind of family was this? The officer wondered.

“Anyway, Dudders got a little … upset, when he realized that we had gotten him the wrong game,” the man continued.

“What happened?”

“Well, we had these candles next to the Christmas tree, you see, and when Dudders wanted to leave, he … knocked them over.”

Embarrassment was clearly written across the man’s face.

“I understand. And from there on the fire spread rather quickly, I presume? Lots of wrapping paper and other easily inflammable objects nearby …”

Mr. Dursley did not reply but it was not really necessary either. At least now they knew how the fire had started. However there were other questions he needed to ask as well.

“Also, I need to tell you that we have not found your nephew yet. Don’t be too upset. Had he been in the house we would have found him, so chances are he has escaped somehow but failed to get himself to the hospital.”

A growl-like sound escaped Mr. Dursley and Mrs. Dursley immediately turned towards him, keeping one hand on her son’s shoulder.

“Calm down, Vernon. Everything will be fine.”

She turned towards the officer.

“The nephew was never in the house. He disappeared during the night. We figured he ran off somewhere.”

“Disappeared? Where could he have gone?”

“I have no idea. I don’t dare to imagine where someone like him might have gone.”

The dislike in her voice was obvious. It came as a shock to the officer. Here they had spent the majority of the day looking for the boy and it was not until now that they told them that he had gone missing before the fire. What kind of family calmly sat down to open Christmas presents when they discovered that their nephew was missing?

“Well … I see. Er, anyway, it might make you happy to hear that the firefighters have managed to put out the fire. Most of the house has burned down, I’m afraid, but …”

“What about my toys?!”

Dudley Dursley had turned his full attention on the officer and suddenly the officer was not quite sure how to manage it.

“I’m afraid that your toys were lost to the fire …”

“This is all your fault!” ¨

To everyone’s surprise the boy turned and pointed an accusing finger towards his parents.

“If you had just gotten me the right game then this would have never happened!”

“Dudders, honey, calm down …”

Frantically Mrs. Dursley tried to calm her son down but it seemed she was fighting a hopeless battle.

“And then I told you to get my toys, but noo, you had to go and call those stupid firefighters instead!”

“Be quiet boy, and for once in your life be thankful for what you have!”

Apparently Mr. Dursley had no patience left. His son stared at him, obviously not used to being shouted at.

“Don’t you yell at Dudders that way! What are you thinking?”

“What am I thinking? What are you thinking?”

Slowly the officer stood up and backed out of the room. This family was mad, he thought. He would leave the nurses to deal with them. At least they had access to sedatives.

Meanwhile, back at Hogwarts, Severus Snape had just finished a cup of tea and was preparing to go to bed. The boy was already asleep on his couch, clutching the toy-broom to him in his sleep. He squirmed a little in his sleep before settling in again. Vaguely Severus wondered what the boy was dreaming about. What did one dream about, at that age? He could not remember.

Quietly he put the empty cup away and turned off the lights. The lights of the Christmas three provided enough light that he had no problem making his way across the room towards his bedroom. Shadows danced across the floor as he moved and then his shoe made contact with something hard.

Bending down to investigate he found it to be the book he had received earlier. Snorting a little he brought it with him into his bedroom and placed it on his bedside table. Whoever had thought to give him that book must be mad, he thought as he undressed. Completely out of his mind. Mental. Insane, even. Why would he ever need a book on how to raise a child? He had no children and he wasn’t planning on getting any!

Changed into his nightclothes he got into bed and closed his eyes, prepared to fall asleep.

Ten minutes later he opened them again, unable to fool himself into believing he could sleep any longer. Thoughts about the day kept passing through his head. He needed something to distract himself. But what? If he wanted to sleep he could not exactly get out of bed, could he?

His eyes fell on the book. Well, perhaps he could read a chapter or two. Just for distraction, of course. Not that he was ever going to actually need it. Unless Dumbledore took more time to find a suitable home for the boy. So, perhaps it could be useful to read a few pages of the book, just in case Harry would come to stay with him for another while.

Settling in with the book Severus began to read.

In his quarters Albus Dumbledore had just finished his evening routine when his floo flared up. Answering the call he found a head, much like his own in appearance, sticking out of the fire.

“There you are, Albus. How are things going?”

“According to plan, I believe.”

The other man chuckled.

“Well, I’m sorry I had to get you involved but it was high time that boy got what he wanted for Christmas!”

“I agree, and I don’t mind at all,” Dumbledore assured the other man. “Though if it ever happens again, perhaps you could give me a bit of a heads up, would you?”

“I’ll try, I’ll try. But you know, it’s busy this time of the year. Barely anything to do from January to November but once December comes around I barely have enough time to eat!”

“Well, one certainly can’t tell that you haven’t been eating anything,” Dumbledore said with a smile.

“Of course not! I have an image to uphold! A happy, fat man in red clothes is what people expect and you have to give the masses what they want, I tell you!”

“Too bad those reindeers of yours are not a part of that mass.”

“They don’t complain! Anyway, I have to go. Haven’t quite finished my round yet, you see.”

“Good luck, cousin. And Merry Christmas.”

“Good night, Albus.”

Merry Christmas indeed, Dumbledore thought as he went to sleep.

 

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3013