Among The Gemini Trees by JAWorley
Past Featured StorySummary: COMPLETE. Harry and Hermione go to a prestigious summer school, where Snape is a teacher. Unfortunately for Harry, Snape has spoken to the other staff and is on his way to turning the whole school against Harry.
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Original Character, Other, Petunia, Ron, Vernon
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape's a Bully, Canon Snape, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Fantasy, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Physical Punishment Non-Spanking, Romance/Het, Violence
Prompts: Another School, Other wizarding cultures
Challenges: Another School, Other wizarding cultures
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 171578 Read: 313009 Published: 20 Jan 2014 Updated: 31 Jul 2020
The Isle of Coll by JAWorley
Author's Notes:
Here are actual photos from the real Isle of Coll:

Here's a sattelite image of where the school is at on the Isle of Coll as well as room assignments and where the buildings are (just for fun in case anyone likes to really visualize things). The rest of the images I have for you will be in Ch 3's author's note.

All zoomed out so you can see the ocean

Ok I know this chapter has a lot of descriptive things in it, but it's new place and since the story mostly takes place here, it's important to give readers a good foundation for where they're at and how things work and who people are. Hope you enjoy :)

Harry wished he could have had a truly Dursley free summer. Unfortunately, they weren't allowed to go straight from Hogwarts to the Isle of Coll where Gemini was, and Harry had found himself on the train back to London with his friends. They had three days to ‘visit' with family, before Harry was to make his way to Diagonalley where he'd meet with the other Hogwarts students going to the academy, and empty his entire vault into the Gemini vault. He had owled Gringotts and found that he had eighty two Galleons, a sickle, and a Knut. It didn't leave enough to buy school supplies for the summer, or even some used clothes, which Harry was in desperate need of seeing as how he'd outgrown everything else he owned, even Dudley's old baggy pants, which were now two inches too short or else full of holes and worn thin. It left him with another problem too. He was short twenty Galleons and the only thing he owned worth that much was his Firebolt. The Firebolt Sirius had given him before he... well, before he died a few weeks ago. Harry didn't want to think about it because it still stung too much to know he had caused his Godfather's death, and it brought tears to his eyes if he thought about it. He figured though, that maybe he could get to Diagonalley early with his broom and sell it to someone. The new Firebolts were going for twenty five Galleons, so he might get lucky and get twenty out of it.

His first night at the Dursleys had been spent scrubbing every inch of every surface Aunt Petunia could think of, followed by a thumping from Uncle Vernon and a good knock about the head from Dudley's Smelting's stick. Harry retreated to his room with a needle and thread he'd nicked from Aunt Petunia's miscellaneous kitchen drawer while he'd been cleaning, and the pair of kitchen scissors. His plan was to cut his two pairs of jeans and school khaki's into shorts and sew them as best he could so he didn't look like a total beggar. They would still be tight on him, but if he was lucky, Hermione would know an enlargement spell of some sort for clothing when he met with her in Diagonalley. When he was finished, he almost admired his work. He'd taken his time and you couldn't tell they weren't store bought shorts unless you looked closely at the hand stitching, which had taken Harry hours. His shirts and coat were another story though, and there was no sewing them. They were faded, worn, coming apart at the seams, and too tight across the chest. He doubted they'd let him wear his Hogwart's robes, but even if they did, he didn't want to wear them in the heat of summer.

The next two days passed in a flurry of the Smelting's stick, chores, and worrying about his clothes and avoiding uncle Vernon, before the day finally arrived for him to sneak out of his cupboard and out of the house with his school trunk, and use the last three sickles in his school money pouch to hail the Knight Bus, which Dumbledore had told him was safe for the time being. As Harry got on the Knight Bus and it sped away, he considered himself lucky that all his bruises were hidden on his back and chest or shoulders, covered nicely by his shirt. His foot also had a pretty nasty bruise from where Dudley had stomped on it when Harry was barefoot last night, and it hurt to walk on, but Harry knew he'd manage.

He knew he was three hours early to Diagonalley, but Harry had wanted it that way. It would give him time to make the transfer of gold from his vault, try to hock his broom, and see if there were any used clothing shops that would sell him a few t-shirts for whatever overage he had from his broom sale. What he was going to do about school supplies, he still didn't know. He had a small stack of paper, half a bottle of ink, and several quills in bad shape from the previous school year, but if he was to take notes and do homework, he knew it wouldn't be enough.

After visiting his vault and emptying it, Harry roamed around the clothing stores until he found the one Mrs. Weasley always talked about. It had just opened when he made the door, and he was glad to see that most of the clothes were in good condition.

"Can I help you dear?" a kindly older woman asked, probably about fifteen years older than Mrs. Weasley.

"I'm looking for some shirts my size," Harry said, hoping she didn't look too closely at his hand sewn shorts. It was still early in the morning and Harry thought that if he picked out some clothes now, he could come back after selling his broom.

"How much do you have?"

"Er..." he paused. "Ten sickles?" She gave him a close looking over and he wondered if she knew he was lying.

"This way."

She led him to a rack near the front window of shirts his size and he was thankful to see that the price was one sickle each. "Pants are folded along the wall and coats are in the corner," she told him, and he thanked her before checking the prices of those too.

He was just taking a look at a dark blue shirt with a silver Falmouth Falcon symbol on the front when the bell above the door rang again and Harry stilled at the smooth drawl that followed.

"Well well, poor Potter browsing through someone else's used clothing? I've got an old pair of holey socks you can have for five Knuts," Draco said. The hidden laughter behind his words grated on Harry's nerves.

"No thanks," Harry said, turning to stare at him. Draco was dressed in fine black slacks and a light green polo shirt that Harry was sure cost far more than they were worth at some high end store. "But I'll sell you my Firebolt for 21 Galleons if you want it."

Draco paused and his eyes narrowed. "Yeah, Potter, I'm sure you'd sell me your broom. It's the only valuable thing you own."

Harry walked over to the window where he'd set his trunk underneath, and pulled his broom out from behind it. "21 Galleons," he said, holding it out. He hated to sell it, because he knew it would mean an end to Quidditch for him when he returned to Hogwarts and also because it was the only thing he had from Sirius, but he also hated to sell it to Draco. Maybe the other boy would relish the idea of taking his broom off of him though. He could only hope.

"You're serious?"

"21 Galleons."

"And why would I want your ratty old broom?"

"Because you've only got a Thunderstruck, and that's a model behind the Firebolt, and Firebolts new are 25 Galleons."

Harry saw Draco lick his bottom lip and was surprised to see his hand go down into his pant pocket where he heard the distinct jingle of money.

"20 Galleons," Draco said, testing the waters to see if Harry was putting him on or not.

"21."

Harry heard the jingle of coins again and Draco pulled out a money pouch from his pocket. "Hand it over."

Harry motioned with his fingers for Draco to show him the money first, and Draco opened the pouch and dumped it into Harry's hands. There were exactly 21 Galleons.

"That's my entire summer allowance," Draco said, taking the broom from Harry.

That's my tuition to school, Harry thought. Draco looked the broom up and down as if inspecting it for defects, and then smirked at Harry, turned his back, and stalked out of the store looking smug. Harry sighed. At least he had an extra Galleon for clothes and maybe a few supplies now, though he wasn't sure if he was thankful or not for the exchange.

By the time Harry left, he had three t-shirts that fit him, and a pair of long khaki white cargo pants. He desperately wanted some new shoes, socks, underwear, a coat, and a real pair of shorts, but he was about ten sickles short. Maybe he could write to Ron once he got to the school and see if Mrs. Weasley had anything extra that he could wear. New items in his trunk, Harry hurried to Gringotts to transfer the last of his money to the Gemini vault, and then made his way to Fortescue's, where they were scheduled to meet, no money left for supplies, and was glad to see that Hermione was already there.

"Harry! You made it! I'm so excited!"

He grinned at his friend's enthusiasm.

"Who else is coming, do you know?"

"Not yet, but I know there's a few seventh years."

"Um, Hermione... do you know of any spells to make clothing bigger?"

"No, but somebody does," and he allowed another smile to pass over his face as she sat down and began to rummage through her trunk full of books, looking for an answer. Over the course of the next half hour, more students showed up, including Ernie McMillan, Pricilla Lune-Grover, a seventh year Ravenclaw, and Mae Greenwood and Olivia Lockheart, two seventh years from Hufflepuff. The last to stroll over to their group, was Draco Malfoy, still holding Harry's Firebolt like his new prized possession.

"Harry, isn't that your-"

Harry waved Hermione's question away and gave a slight shake of his head, and she closed her mouth. Harry realized a moment later that it wasn't because of him, but because Professor Snape had just walked up and cast a long shadow over his charges in the bright sunlight. His eyes raked over them, probably counting to see that they were all there, paused long enough on Harry to give him a glare, and then he removed a small green book from his pocket with the Hogwart's crest and a strange looking tree embossed on the cover.

"We will be departing by Portkey. Before we leave I want to make myself abundantly clear." He shot Harry a nasty look again. "We are guests at this school. Once there you are more likely to be treated like equals by the staff than like students. This is not an excuse to run wild, or break rules. Most of you," he emphasized the word most as he narrowed his eyes at Harry yet again, "represent the best and brightest of Hogwarts, and will conduct yourselves as young men and women should. Should you need anything you may come to me or another staff member. While there are no detentions or loss of house points at Gemini, you may still be expelled with enough signatures from staff. Keep this in mind when deciding how to conduct yourselves for the next month and a half."

He locked eyes with each of them for a moment to be sure that they understood, and then held out the book. "Take firm hold," he told them. Harry grabbed on to the corner next to Hermione and Ernie, his trunk handle in hand behind him. He hated traveling by port key and braced himself for the dizzying journey.

As soon as Snape was sure everyone was holding tightly, he said, "Where many fruits grow and thrive," and they were sucked away, appearing moments later on a grassy dirt lane near the sea.

Harry shook himself and tried to regain his breath. At least he hadn't fallen flat on his face this time. He spied Draco holding onto his, Harry's Firebolt and giving it a close looking over to be sure it was all right. Well, at least he'll take care of it, Harry thought, trying not to let glumness overtake him when he was so near the sea and the prospect of having a good summer for the first time in his remembrance.

"We are to head to the Dining Hall." Snape said and lead off. Harry didn't see a trunk or other luggage for Professor Snape so he assumed that he'd already been here earlier. Harry wondered then if this was the man's first time teaching here, or if he'd been here to teach before.

Levitating his trunk in front of him as the others were doing, Harry followed Snape down the path and took in the beauty of the place. There were dirt and sand paths going here and there between cabins and other larger buildings. The bulk of the school was level but there were hills that some of the cabins climbed up. Harry could see the ocean stretching on forever to the East, and could tell they were atop some cliffs. He wondered if there was a way down to the beach and if they'd be allowed to go swimming or not. There was wispy grass everywhere and purple wildflowers. Atop one of the hills and behind some of the cabins Harry could see some of the strange trees like the one on Snape's portkey book. They must be the Gemini trees, Harry thought.

As they made their way into the center of the school area, Harry noted that the cabins and buildings all had numbers on them and there were also little wooden signs with arrows that said things like, ‘Cabins 32-37.' The cabins were all white beach huts and looked like they were built for one. The paint was peeling from the harsh ocean air and winds, and there were shutters with latches over the windows. The larger buildings were also white with peeling paint, and some were quite small, while others looked like they might have more than one room inside. The largest one was building number 7, the Dining Hall. It had a large wrap around porch, which Harry deposited his trunk on along with the others that were already there, and the shutters looked as if they'd just recently been opened to let light into the building.

It looked like they were the last to arrive as there were already a large number of students from other schools there. For the first time, Harry wondered if they all spoke English or if they'd have to use some sort of spell to understand each other.

There were 7 long wooden tables that were stacked on top of each other at the back of the room, and 14 long benches had been moved to the front in rows. Harry and his classmates took their seats at the back, the only open place to sit down, and Professor Snape walked up to the front of the room where 6 other teachers stood waiting and talking to each other. The other students seemed to take in the new arrivals with some interest, but nobody said anything to them.

Hermione had just leaned in and whispered to Harry how excited she was and how she wished Ron was there with them when one of the male teachers at the front of the room cleared his throat and the little bit of chatter amongst the students quieted.

"Good morning to you all," he said in a thick accent, and Harry wondered if he was from Durmstrang because he sounded a lot like Karkaroff and Viktor Krum. "My name is Andrei Blazhe and I am one of the two Professors from Durmstrang Academy this year. We have some announcements to make as well as cabin assignments before lunch, so if you will please bear with me, we can move along quickly." Harry was sure he heard a little squeal come from Hermione, but he ignored it, intent to hear what was going to be said.

"First let us all introduce ourselves. Again, I am Andrei Blazhe from Durmstrang. You may call me by either name. I will be teaching Muggle Defensive Tactics, drawing, and Violin."

He stepped back and a thin woman with long black hair stepped forward and said in the same heavy accent, "I am Iva Emiliya from Durmstrang. I prefer that you call me Professor Iva. I teach painting, and the fine arts with Professor Blazhe, as well as Classic Muggle and Magical Literature with Professor August. I also teach piano."

A small oriental man stepped forward with his hands behind his back, and Harry thought he looked about as close to a monk as any he'd seen in movies on the telly that Dudley had been watching.

"My name is Ganzorig. You may call me Gan, or teacher." Harry struggled for a few moments to understand him through his accent, but as Gan spoke more, he thought he could get used to his accent enough to learn from him.  "I am from the Khar monastery. I teach Root Defense, a discipline that is a mixture between traditional oriental fighting style and magical defense." This peaked Harry's interest immediately and he thought he wouldn't mind learning Root defense as well as Muggle defense, if for no other reason than to be able to protect himself against Dudley and uncle Vernon when he wasn't allowed to use his wand.  "I will also teach healing, and meditation." He gave a small bow and stepped back into his place.

A friendly looking man with sandy brown hair stepped forward with a smile and said, "Alvar August from Boden. I'm excited to see you all here today, looking so eager to learn. I teach Advanced Wandless Magic, also known as Magery. I also teach Classic Muggle and Magical Literature with Professor Iva. For those of you who have brought a Cello, I will be teaching you." He gave them another smile and then turned and allowed a female professor to step to the front.

"Hello, I am Professor Benjamine Camille from Beauxbatons Magical Academy and this year I will be teaching Magical and Muggle Law." She was short and to the point and she reminded Harry of Professor McGonagall: stern, but with the potential to be kind and understanding at the same time.

The last female Professor stepped forward and swept her audience of students with a warm smile. She had light brown hair that flowed down behind her shoulders and Harry took an instant liking to her. "I am also from Beauxbatons. My name is Adeline Albertine and I prefer to be called Adeline while we are here at Gemini. I teach Healing and Healing Potions with Teacher Gan, and whilst we are here if you are in need of any medical assistance, you can find me in the Infirmary which is building number 8." She pointed towards the corner of the room and finished with, "It's across the path there. Teacher Gan and Professor Snape are also capable healers, and if for some reason you cannot find me, you may go to one of them."

Huh, Harry thought. He never knew Snape could do healing. He supposed it made some sense though, since he did make most of the healing potions (or so Harry assumed) for Madam Pomfrey at Hogwarts.

Finally Snape stepped forward, after having stood quietly with his hands behind his back. Harry was interested to see if he'd try to intimidate the students here as he did at Hogwarts, and was somewhat disappointed to find that in front of everyone here, he almost seemed personable.

"My name is Severus Snape from Hogwarts. I will be teaching Occlumency as well as Advanced Defensive Tactics."

Harry sighed. It figures, he thought to himself bitterly. The two classes he really needed to gain that ‘edge' Dumbledore had talked about, would be taught by a man who wasn't going to be impartial and help him really learn. He'd really failed miserably at Occlumency last year under the man's tutelage, and he doubted he'd do any better with him here. No, better to skip those classes, he thought.

Professor August, the smiling professor from Boden stepped forward again and said, "We have some rules to go over, though there are not as many as you may be used to. Firstly, there is no curfew, but it would be very wise of you to plan to use your time well so that you can be well rested for classes during the day.

Secondly, we will all respect each other's private property here, and this includes the cabin you will be assigned. You may only enter a cabin with the permission of its occupant, though boys are not allowed in girls cabins at any time and visa versa. If you wish to study with anyone of the opposite sex, you may use the study building, building number 9, during daytime hours, and this building, the dining hall after dark. You are also free to study anywhere out on the grounds.

Thirdly, you may visit the beach during your off time, but while swimming you must use the flotation charm on yourself, even if you know how to swim. We do not wish for any accidents.

The fourth and final rule is that, as opposed to the schools you are used to attending, there will be no reprimands or loss of privileges as punishment here. You are to use your own good judgment in your conduct here. If you are acting in a way that is not honorable or against any of our rules, you may be dismissed from the school, but only with the vote of each professor here. If we feel that you are acting in an undesirable way, you may be called upon to explain yourself before any decision is made. Does anyone have any questions?" No one raised their hand and August smiled. "Good then. We can move on to the cabin assignments. There are clusters of male and female cabins. In order to assure that the schools are intermixing, we will draw for Cabin assignments. The Professor cabins are spread throughout the complex, and there will be a red sign on every Professor's door. If there is an issue, you may come to any of us at any time of day or night. When you get your cabin assignment, you can take your belongings and get settled in your cabin. You have forty minutes before lunch will be served."

Snape and Iva (was that her name? Harry thought so), each came forward with a bucket and moved down the benches, Snape holding out his bucket to the boys and Iva to the girls, and people reached inside and pulled out a piece of paper with a number on it. By the time Snape got to Harry and the other students from Hogwarts, the choices were dwindling. Harry reached his hand into the pail and Snape pulled it away impatiently with a glare. It looked like Harry would be in cabin 30. He stood up with Hermione and looked at her paper. Cabin 8.

"I'll see you at lunch Harry," she said, and hurried off to get her things, a big smile on her face.

As Harry levitated his trunk back out on the porch he heard Draco tell Ernie that he was in cabin 29 and Ernie said he was in 22, and they headed off towards the cabins leading up the hill, so Harry followed.

"Great," Draco muttered when he noticed Harry trailing a few feet behind.

Ernie glanced back but only gave Harry a smile. Harry didn't know Ernie McMilln well but knew he was fairly smart and was angling for Head Boy in a couple of years.

It was quite a little walk up the hill to the cluster of cabins where Harry's was located, but he was pleased to find that he could see more of the ocean and most of the entire school compound from here, and behind his cabin was the start of a wooded area full of the knarled Gemini trees. There was a bathroom in a separate building at the end of the row of cabins, painted light blue, and Harry was glad to see that it looked like it might be big enough to have several showers. Usually he wasn't allowed to shower in the summer at the Dursleys and had to take his baths in the backyard with the garden hose.

Harry's cabin was the second one in, Draco was next door, much to Harry's displeasure, and Ernie's was directly across the path from Harry's. The cabins were small, about the size of a shed, and the porch was just big enough for a single chair. Harry leapt up the three steps excitedly to his porch and as soon as he put his hand on the doorknob, his name appeared on the wooden plaque in the center of the door. Cool, he thought. He opened the door and surveyed the room. It was sparse, but he liked it. There was a single twin bed in the center, and a desk with a chair facing one of the two windows. There was no wardrobe, but the bed looked thick and comfortable and much better than what he'd had at the Dursleys in the cupboard under the stairs.

Harry put his trunk at the foot of his bed and opened it up to pull out his pillow and blanket. They'd been told to bring their own bedding. He didn't have any sheets, but he did have his flat pillow and thin blanket from his cupboard under the stairs. It was the only pillow and blanket he'd ever had aside from in the dorm at Hogwarts. After making the bed, he pulled out the small stack of parchment and few quills and set them on his desk and then opened the shutters on the outside so he could see through the window facing the front and the one facing the side of Draco's cabin. Luckily Draco didn't have a window facing his he thought, but he sighed a moment later as he heard Draco scoff from the frame of the door he'd left open.

"Really Potter, is this the best that you can do?"

Harry turned to find Draco with his arms crossed leaning on the doorframe.

"Oh, don't worry," Draco laughed. "I wouldn't come in without your permission. But really, ratty used clothes, a ratty used blanket, and a stack of paper? What'd you do, raid the Weasley house?"

"Shut it Malfoy," Harry said. "You got my broom, what else do you want?"

"Nothing you have," Draco said. His eyes scanned the room and he made a clucking noise with his tongue. "Did you even bring any supplies?"

"No," Harry said.

"What, too expensive?"

Harry balled and unballed his fists. "I spent your allowance money on the last of my tuition and three shirts and a pair of pants, so no, I didn't have any money to buy supplies. I have what I have and maybe you could leave me alone about it."

The smirk left Draco's face. Yeah, that's right, Harry thought.

"Whatever Potter," Draco said, and he pushed off the doorframe and went down the steps and across the path to Ernie's cabin. Maybe Ernie would have nicer things, Harry thought, and put Malfoy in his place. Harry wondered then what Draco's room looked like. He bet it had royal green curtains with silver trim, overpriced school supplies, and his broom, hanging on a wall. Great, Harry muttered. He closed the door and changed into one of his pairs of handmade shorts and left, shutting the door behind him. He still had twenty minutes, but thought about going to see Hermione in cabin 8, if he could find where that was before lunch.

As it turned out, there was a long row of girl's cabins at the bottom of the hill if Harry turned right towards the sea, and 3 of the 4 Hogwarts girls had ended up there. Hermione's cabin was at the far end, just at the start of a path that looked like it might lead down the cliffs and to a beach.

He stood on her porch and wondered if this was allowed, and peered inside her open door. "Your cabin looks nice Hermione," Harry said, and she smiled and turned around. She had decorated with a poster of Mathilda Mahide the great, a famous witch librarian, and had several extra pink fluffy pillows on her bed and two large ones on her floor that looked like they were meant to sit on. She also had a framed picture of her parents on her desk and Harry noted that her cabin smelled like flowers. She had twelve or so books lining the wall on the floor since there wasn't a shelf, and her bed was pushed against a wall.

"Smells nice too," he said, raising his eyes to the ceiling to see if she'd done something spectacular there too.

"I had some air spray from home," she said. "It smelled a little musty."

"Oh," Harry said.

"Where's your cabin Harry?"

"Up the hill," he said, pointing. "I'm next to Draco and across from Ernie. There are some younger boys up there too."

"From Karh?"

Harry nodded. "I think so." They looked like they were eleven, maybe even ten. They were small in comparison to the other boys.

"They start school at the monastery in Karh younger remember? Maybe eleven is like seventh year for them. I spoke to Professor Camille, her cabin is just there," she pointed towards her wall. "She said there's 35 students this year, just one more than last year. And I think she said Karh only has four that came, three boys and a girl."

"That's not very many."

"No. I think I saw the girl from Karh go to a cabin a few doors down. Oh Harry, don't you just love it here? We'll get to meet so many people from other schools and just imagine what we'll learn."

"Yeah, s'great," he said. He turned to look behind him at people who had started to make their way back to the Dining Hall via any number of dirt paths.

"Um, Hermione, do you think I could borrow something to write with while we're here? All of my quills are broken and I only have one bottle of ink." It was a lie, he thought, he only had half a bottle.

"Oh Harry, I'd be happy to share with you, but I don't think you'll be very happy with what I have." She opened a desk drawer and pulled out a package of pink Muggle pens and a pink spiralbound notebook.

"Oh," Harry said, raising his brows. "I, I'll use them." He didn't want to, but he couldn't be picky either.

She pulled out a pink pen and handed it to Harry with the notebook. He took them and put the pen in his front pocket and folded the notebook in half so the pink was facing in and put it in his back pocket.

"Thanks."

Hermione came out and closed her door and they joined the others walking to the Dining Hall.

"I can't wait for classes later today."

"I don't think we'll do anything today," Harry said. "We haven't turned in the list of what we want to take yet."

But as it turned out, Hermione was right. After lunch, which was some sort of pan seared fish, chips, and creamy fruit salad, Professor Snape stood up and announced that they would all be viewing a demonstration of the various classes being offered this year so they could get a better idea of what they wanted to take. Harry was a little confused as they moved off as a group to the first building and it was explained that they would make their own schedules. As it turned out, each professor would be teaching their subject, 2, sometimes 3 times a day, so that if you were wanting to take it you could do so and still make your other classes. It would also allow for smaller class sizes and allow the teachers to give more individualized instruction to each student.

Their first stop was building 6, a small cottage style building with one room and no porch. This was where any musical instruments were going to be taught, as well as Painting, drawing, and fine arts. Harry didn't pay much attention to the music part as one of the professors played Cello and another played piano since he didn't have an instrument. He was surprised however when Snape picked up a violin and played a short piece, and noted that Hermione seemed impressed as well. He might like to learn drawing he thought, even if it wasn't for credit, and took note that it was to be taught here as well.

Building 5 was one of the larger buildings and this was where Snape would teach Advanced Defensive Tactics and Occlumency. Snape dueled another professor and showed off some of the spells and skills they'd be learning. For Occlumency, he gave a short talk about how the skills learned in Occlumency could be useful, and also suggested that any taking his class also attend Gan's meditation class, which was not for credit, but would help enormously with Occlumency. Harry noticed some people taking notes, but since he wouldn't be in any of Snape's classes, he didn't pull out his new pink notebook and pen. The lessons moved on though from building to building and even out to a flat grassy field at the edge of the cliffs which could be used for all of the defense and dueling classes, and as Harry's interests were more peaked he did take out the pink notebook to take notes. It wasn't until they were nearly done at the field that Draco sidled up to him and scoffed yet again at his belongings.

"You're making me ashamed to go to Hogwarts Potter," Draco sneered, eyeing the pink supplies.

"Shut up," Harry breathed since they were in the middle of a lecture by Gan. "It's all I have. Hermione gave it to me." He quickly folded the notebook and stuffed it back into his back pocket. At the end of the lecture and demonstration he tried to distance himself from Draco and ended up at the back of the group as they went to another building, but one of the Professors came up to him.

"Was that subject not interesting enough for you?"

"Sir?" He looked up to find Professor August.

"You were talking and put away your note taking supplies half way through the lecture."

"It was interesting sir," Harry said. He had a page and a half of notes on meditation. He planned on practicing it when he got back to his room. He supposed if he was going to get that edge Dumbledore wanted him to have, he'd have to teach Occlumency to himself, and if Snape said meditation would help, then he would have to learn that too.

"I know all about you Mr. Potter," August said, "and I've got my eye on you. This school is for those who have earned it, and no one here will take kindly to someone that hasn't earned the right to learn alongside them."

Harry was going to ask what he meant, but the professor moved off and Harry was horrified to watch him walk right up to Snape and start talking at the front of the group. He'd been ‘told' all about him, oh gee, Harry thought bitterly, I wonder by who. He sighed and only paid attention halfheartedly through the last three lectures and didn't catch half of what Hermione was excitedly babbling on about at dinner. He was also dismayed to find out that Hermione had apparently already made friends with two girls from Durmstrang in their short time there. How had she done that? He'd barely had time to talk to Hermione.

After dinner some of the boys from Durmstrang invited Draco and Ernie to go to the beach and have a campfire with them, and blatantly ignored Harry. Harry watched with some curiosity as they moved off towards the cliffs. Hermione was also going that way with a group of girls. It seemed everybody had been invited but him, and those that weren't were off to do their own activity as another group. Harry really wanted to go see the beach though so he headed off after the bonfire group. He paused on the path though when he heard staff voices coming from one of the buildings through an open window, and stood in the middle of the path to listen. He probably wouldn't have stopped except that he'd heard his name.

"Yes August, I too noticed that the boy did not appear interested during the lectures. He did not even have the courtesy to take notes most of the time."

"It seems that perhaps you were right Severus."

"The only reason he's here is because the Headmaster paid his tuition with the school coffers. I, undoubtedly like many of my colleagues were coerced into giving him a free pass into Gemini."

"We viewed his school records, he has done seemingly well at Hogwarts."

"Not because he has tried," Snape said with a note of bitterness to his voice. "They either adore him or like myself are asked to give him a passing grade by the Headmaster. He flaunts his fame around the school with a group of followers who follow him into whatever trouble he is determined to get into."

"I know that he is very famous in Britain, but that was so long ago. Surely the students do not see him as famous for that?"

"It does not help that he's the star player of his house team or that he has foolishly run off after He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named so many times while at school. You heard about the incident at the Ministry of Magic just last month?"

"Yes yes, it was in our papers even in Bulgaria. Our Ministry decided to put extra security into place."

"He lead a group of his friends across Britain in the dead of night. Before the night was out, someone died."

"No. Surely not one of the students?"

"An adult, but it makes no difference. He is foolish and instead of learning from his mistakes, he flaunts it..."

Harry hurried down the path in the waning light, his heart beating furiously. This wasn't fair. He hadn't done what Snape had said. Dumbledore paid his way- the teachers were coerced- his hands balled into fists and he kicked at a stone in the path. That man, that horrible death eater, whatever he was, just had to come here and ruin this for him too, didn't he. Hogwarts wasn't good enough for him, but he was determined to get Harry kicked out of school here too. Maybe other students had heard Snape talking before now, Harry thought. That would explain why he hadn't been invited to the bon fire. Well, forget them then, forget them all. He hiked up the hill path and went to his cabin, where he promptly pulled out his course sheet and checked off every box except for the law and music classes. He'd work extra hard and show them all that he deserved to be here, he thought and to his surprise, the second he checked the last box and pushed the paper away from himself, a stack of books appeared on his desk. He lifted the top one and saw that it was Occlumency. Disgusted he pulled the cover open, pulled out his pink notebook and pen, and began taking notes. This was going to be some summer.

The End.
End Notes:
Thoughts?


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3017