Out of the darkness came light by Morgana
Summary: On that fateful Halloween, Severus entered Godric's Hollow to find Voldemort dead and Lily and Harry missing. The mystery sent Sirius Black so insane that he spent the next three years searching for them. He found them. It was not a happy discovery.

Warning, begins with gothic horror but becomes a sweeter story as the chapters go on.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 10489 Read: 10388 Published: 19 Feb 2014 Updated: 16 Aug 2014
Goodbye Lily by Morgana
Author's Notes:
The chapter which answers all the questions ;)

“Severus, Severus!”

The young potions master woke with a start, his whiskey tumbler falling, shattering into diamond dust on the floor. Dumbledore’s head was peering out of the fireplace, a tender look of pity in his forget-me-not blue eyes.
 
“Severus” he said gently “it’s time.”

Casting a quick repairo on the glass, Severus struggled upright and thrust his feet into his boots (slip ons were a boon for a Potions Master, who needed to be awake, dressed and at the site of a disaster within ten minutes.) 

Stepping into the green-flamed fire, Severus was surprised to discover that he had not entered the Headmasters Office but stepped into a circular room, the white, domed ceiling of which was set with a number of stained glass windows, most of which depicted handsome, bearded men wearing rather bright robes. Sirius was standing under one of the windows, a few meters away, gazing up at a rather pretty depiction of a young woman holding a small child.

Severus’s gaze moved around the room: at the very front of the chamber, just below the windows, a deep red, velvet curtain hung from a long rail which cut across a section of the room, obscuring it from the view of the several long, curved wooden pews which lined the back of the room. Between the pews and the red curtain stood a small alter, covered with a white cloth and bearing two golden candlesticks, a goblet and a small bowl. 

“Where are we, Albus?” Severus whispered.

Dumbledore, who, for once, was wearing simple white robes, smiled sadly “The chapel. Not many know of it, it has not been used for over a century.”

“For the muggleborns? I had no idea.”

“It was actually Slytherin who determined that a tower should be dedicated for this purpose. It has been renovated since, of course. We had a rather large congregation in the late Seventeenth century.”

“Slytherin?!” Sirius gasped incredulously, turning around.

“Yes, I believe he thought that if the muggleborns could show that they still remained Christians to their families, the chance of friction would be diminished.” Dumbledore shook his head “Slytherin is often misunderstood; he was not an idealist, like the other founders. He hoped to avoid conflict by integration but also understood the pressures muggle-borns faced, especially at times of religious persecution.”

“Why are we here, anyhow” said Sirius.

“The Ceremony of Return, as Hamad calls it, has to be conducted on religious ground. He says the deities do not care whether their god was worshipped there, as long as a god was worshipped.”

“It is Deistic magic?” Severus asked, his face serious.

“Yes, indeed.” Albus’s lined face suddenly looked very old “The spells used to create inferi are not merely dark magic, most of them contain an element of demon worship, with everything it entails. There are such things, Sirius” the headmaster added, noticing the young man’s skeptical expression. “Yes, there are gods and demons in this world, we just choose to forget them in this enlightened age, until we need something.” He spread his hands “When we reach the midnight of our lives, we ask for their help.”

The curtain twitched open and an elderly man appeared. He was almost as short as Flitwick and as round, bald, brown and wrinkled as a walnut. His white linen robes were simple, almost cut like a tunic, with the only adornment being a golden pin, shaped like a scarab beetle, which clasped his robe at the waist.

“Ah, Hamad!” Albus announced “Please allow me to introduce Severus Snape and Sirius Black, they are young Harry’s godparents.”

Hamad nodded, looking at the two young men with kind, albeit sad dark eyes. “Please know that she does not suffer” he said quietly. “I have examined the child, the spells used are known to me.” 

“What did he do..?” Sirius trailed off, the anguish on his face speaking clearly of the conflict between his need to know and his fear of the knowing.

Hamad licked his lips nervously “You have no learning in the old ways of my people, you do not know of the magic of the gods. You, however, young man” he turned to Severus “you know a little more than you would own”

Sighing, Severus reached into his collar and pulled out a small, gold and jade serpent.

“Ah! You are a priest of the Lady of Papyrus.”

Mouth twisting in frustration at Sirius and Albus’ incredulous expressions, Severus bit out “When I… told Voldemort of the prophesy, I was in my final year at the University of Alexandra. I soon learnt that the child in question… that it was Lily who Voldemort was hunting and my tutor, realised that I was in turmoil, took me to the Temple of his deity, the serpent goddess Wadjet.” 

Severus swallowed “She was a protector goddess and she, I suppose she took pity on me. Wadjet offered me the ability to speak Parseltongue, so that I could use my legilimancy effectively.”

“So that’s how you can do it!?” Sirius exclaimed “I thought it was weird, Parselmouths are born, you can’t learn it, but you didn’t know how to do that at school. I mean, that time we put a snake…” Sirius blushed “So, she gave it to you?”

“Yes, in return for my loyalty to her.” Severus replied “Hence the priesthood.”

Sirius looked like he wanted to ask a million and one questions but, before he could open his mouth, Dumbledore intervened. 

“Which spells were cast upon Lily, Hamad?”

Hamad smiled sadly “Yes, we are avoiding the truth, hard as it is to say and also to hear. To create an inferi, the help of the dark one, Seth, is needed. His powers fade at times, at other times grow stronger and, being proud and vain, he will not come at his times of weakness. Therefore, to make an inferi we must wait until Seth is ready. We must also make ready a sacrifice.” He paused.

“So, you have to plan the killing?”

“No, no, there is a spell, it kills, yes, but just before the moment of death the body is… it is like a stasis spell, the body is dying, yes, but not quite dead. If controlled by a necromancer, it can move, even eat… and the spirit trapped within, to be the sacrifice.” Hamad said, in the tone of one determined to get the worst over at once.

“Lily’s… in there?!” Sirius almost shrieked, the colour draining from his face. 

“Yes, but she is as if asleep. She does not suffer, I assure you.”

“But if this spell can achieve so much, why involve the gods” Albus asked, looking sick.

Hamad shook his head “As with all mortal magic, there is a time when the spell will fade and necromancy, it is only able to create a simple machine. Seth alone has the power to create an echo of life, to preserve the corpse and grant it limited intelligence and self-awareness, so it can guard and serve. Therefore those who wish to create inferi have always called on Seth and, thus, the preservation spell has not needed to last for more than a year. After such time, the body will begin to decay.”

“What can be done?” Severus asked finally.

“I will call on my god, the kindly protector of the dead. He will help her into the next world.” Hamad replied. He snapped his fingers and a figure, draped head to toe in a white veil, walked out from behind the curtain and stood before the alter. Severus shuddered, his childhood dreams could not have come back to haunt him in a more macabre fashion.

Hamad approached the veiled figure, Lily, and standing before her, intoned “Anubis, lord and protector, heed me, come to us in this time of darkness.”

A soft glow flickered behind the alter, growing steadily in intensity until it became an orb of bright light. A large, black-furred foot faded into existence, then a paw-like hand wrapped around the side of the orb as if to pull aside a screen. The light dissolved diagonally to reveal a tall figure.

His body was that of a tall, muscular man, but the legs which stretched out from his purple robes were black furred and his head was distinctly canine, although the fur that fell from his scalp and mane appeared to have been plated into a multitude of tiny braids. In one large, black-clawed hand he held a long, silver pole, with a length of obsidian attached by a silver chain to one end.

“I have come” the figure said simply, regarding the four men, two of whom were standing with mouths agape, with benevolent amber eyes.

“My lord Anubis, will you free this mortal and help her into the afterlife.”

“No.”

Hamad paused, looking genuinely non-plussed “But… why?” he asked in a tone more appropriate to one questioning a six year old as to why they had decided to mix super-glue with their breakfast cereal.

“She is not mine to collect. But hark, my son approaches.”

“Your son?!”

Out from behind the massive figure of Anubis a slighter humanoid stepped into the room. Pale as his father was dark, the newcomer’s long, white braids were bound behind his neck, his strong, lean body was dressed in overlapping golden mail, with a decidedly non-ornamental mace tucked into the stout leather belt.

The canine god gazed regally at the four awestruck men with imperious blue eyes and said gruffly “Whepwhawhet.

“Wepwawet?” Hamad echoed, his voice incredulous. 

The wolf-deity nodded before kneeling solemnly before Lily. With gentle paws, he raised the veil over the inferi’s head. 

“I thought she was a mere housewife” Hamad whispered, apparently half to himself.

“Well, Lily did join the Order, she was very gifted at charms, particularly concealment charms,” Dumbledore burbled “And she did once hide the family of one of her friends when the Death Eaters were on their very doorstep. Voldemort was most upset, he had given the order for their deaths directly and, when he sought a couple who had thrice defied him… we believe it Pettigrew who told him.” He sighed “It was the fatal third act of defiance: James had already fought him twice by the time that Harry was born.”

Wepwawet looked over at the old headmaster sternly “No ‘She who has thrice defied him’.” 

“Lily Potter defied the forsaken one three times.” Anubis rumbled, adding by way of explanation “My son is of few words, the warriors he collects usually do not ask for explanations, they have died a good death and are ready for the afterlife.” He smiled, showing a row of sharp white teeth. “Lily first defied him by hiding her friends. Secondly, through his most gifted spy, whose loyalty to her far surpassed his loyalty to the dark one. Thirdly, she refused to stand aside and allow the death of her son when commanded, fighting with words as bravely as another might fight with steel.”

“Brave Wharrior” Wepwawet confirmed “Mhine to take.”

“The first in several centuries. Few warriors are subjugated, most dark lords have had some honour.” Anubis growled 

Wepwawet snarled in agreement before picking up his mace and touching it gently to the inferi’s shoulder. “Come, Wharrior. Whepwawhet calls.”

To the three Hogwarts professor’s amazement, what remained of Lily’s skin started to glow, before beginning to move, knitting itself together. Her red hair began to shine, as vivid as it had been in life, and empty patches on her scalp shrank as new hair grew.

Severus’ heart almost stopped when her eyes fluttered open and, the previously grey, misted orbs were green and bright with self-awareness. She looked around, taking in the astounded faces of Severus, Sirius and Albus, the bemused Egyptian priest and the two gods, who were gazing at her with expressions that combined compassion and satisfaction. 
 
“It was not a dream, then?”

“No my dear.” Hamad replied gently “You have a few minutes,” he added, looking cautiously at Wepwawet. “It is not long but enough to say goodbye.”

“Whepwawhet hold fire.” The wolf god grumbled, looking almost embarrassed under the smile of his father. “Woman wharrior. Family.” 

Lily smiled at Wepwawet “Thank you.” She turned to Severus.

“Lily, I’m sorry, it was I…” 

“I know Sev, it was a mistake, okay. You didn’t know what he’d do, did you?” she sighed “No one could have guessed that Voldemort would have taken it seriously, let alone he’d try to kill the child he thought was prophesised to destroy him. Never heard of Oedipus rex, had he? You chose to protect me, you stopped following him and risked your life to get the information which would have saved us if Peter hadn’t been a spineless git.” She turned to Sirius “And not a word of apology 
from you, either, Mr Black.”

“Okay.” Sirius replied meekly.

“You all tried your hardest to help me, James and Harry survive and, even when we died, you still did your best. Bringing Pettigrew to justice, finding me, agreeing to take care of my boys. Yes I know” she said, looking at their expressions “I didn’t know what was happening to me but I felt the birth of my child in my soul. Look after him, okay, he’s nothing like his biological father. He’s going to grow up to be a good man.” 

“When was your second child born Lily?” Dumbledore asked in a strange tone of voice.

“Nine months from the date of his conception. Exactly nine months. Give him the birthday of 1st August, however.”

Dumbledore nodded. “Of course.”

Wepwawet held out his paw and, with a rueful smile, Lily put her small hand against the black pads. “See you on the other side, in at least a hundred years, mind.”

“Goodbye Lily.” Severus struggled for a moment before saying “I’ll always love you.”

“You too, Sev. You were the best friend I ever had. Bye everyone.” 

Lily moved to step closer to Wepwawet, and it took a second for Severus to notice that the foot that stepped out was as sheer as that of a ghost. As the now transparent form of Lily stood beside the wolf god, her body fell backwards, where it was caught by the waiting Hamad. 

“I will perform the rights that are fitting” Hamad said sincerely, as the bright sun blazed through the windows, burning the reality out of the two deities, causing them to fade to the same transparency as Lily.

 
“Goodbye my priest.” Anubis said quietly “There will not be another inferi. I will come for you anon.”

Hamad sighed in relief “Thank you my lord, the mantle was heavy”

“You bore it well, farewell, for now.”

Hamad, with the ease of long practice, conjured a bier and gently laid Lily upon it. He turned to the three men. Sirius was crying, his face in his hands, Dumbledore was struggling, in vain, to prevent tears from rolling down his cheeks. Severus alone had dry eyes, his face was absolutely blank, his expression echoning the emptiness in his heart.

“It is always hard.” Hamad said softly. “But she is home, now. Safe with the gods.”

“Lily was Christian, though” Sirius finally said, sniffling away his tears “Why did the Egyptian gods come.”

“They are my gods, they appear to you as they appear in my dreams” Hamad explained “Perhaps, if I were a priest, you would see angels.”

Sirius nodded “It’s kind of comforting to know, really. At least she’s at peace now.”

Dumbledore turned to the priest “Thank you, Hamad, we are eternally in your debt”

 

Hamad nodded “You are welcome. As for laying Lily to rest, I believe discretion is needed, yes?”

“It would be preferable if the news of Lily’s discovery were not to be known to anyone outside this room, yes.” Dumbledore stated sadly.

“But what about Remus?” Sirius said, his voice alarmed. “He should, well after everything he deserves to say goodbye.”

Albus nodded “Yes, however he is currently on the continent and, the longer we leave Lily unburied, the greater the chance of discovery and, if people realise that Lily has been found at the same time that two mysterious boys appear, I believe unwanted questions will be asked.”

“Perhaps, if we cremated her… we could lay her ashes to rest at a later date?”

“Yes” the headmaster nodded “It would be a solution.”

Hamad nodded “I can do this, it is a rite frequently practiced amongst the priests of my god, mummification was mainly practiced amongst the muggles.” He explained “They saw inferi and got the wrong idea, so to say.”

Looking at each other, the three men nodded.

Hamad waved his wand in a complex fashion and muttered something strange. The bier was engulfed in violet flames.

“The journey has ended, the new life in the sunlight of the gods begun. I commit this body to the cask, in memory of Lily Potter, who will remain alive in our thoughts and hearts. May all those whose lives she touched remember her with joy.”

The flames burned white, shrinking and condensing into a small, green ceramic urn decorated with lilies. It rose up, into the air, and moved onto a small, oval indentation which had not been there a moment before.

After a long silence, Hamad said “I believe Hogwarts has requested to bear her ashes.”

“Indeed2 Albus nodded, brushing the tears from his eyes. “It is fitting that she remains in the place where those she loved will live.

The four men looked upwards, at the beautiful urn glimmering in the sunlight. In the distance, a blackbird sung and, as the music washed over them, they realised that the horror was over and that life could begin anew.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3026