Out of the darkness came light by Morgana
Summary: On that fateful Halloween, Severus entered Godric's Hollow to find Voldemort dead and Lily and Harry missing. The mystery sent Sirius Black so insane that he spent the next three years searching for them. He found them. It was not a happy discovery.

Warning, begins with gothic horror but becomes a sweeter story as the chapters go on.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Sirius
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort, Supernatural
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Child fic, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 10489 Read: 10388 Published: 19 Feb 2014 Updated: 16 Aug 2014
Story Notes:
A little experiment with one of my more original concepts. Let me know if I should continue.

1. Missing by Morgana

2. Thinking it Through by Morgana

3. A Moment for Reflection by Morgana

4. Goodbye Lily by Morgana

5. Lanuage Aquisition by Morgana

Missing by Morgana

Missing, presumed dead.

Those three words had etched themselves onto Severus’ soul the moment his tear-raw eyes had landed on that awful headline. His hands still shook, just as they had when he had first held that dreadful edition of the Daily Prophet, blindly watching the pretty photograph of Lily Potter holding her one year old son, Harry, tucked onto her slim hip. She had been wearing a green jersey, one which clashed gloriously with her auburn hair and matched the two pairs of gleaming eyes, smiling out of the photograph.

Missing, presumed dead.

Gone. Just gone. He’d searched everywhere, screaming her name until he tasted blood. But neither Lily or Harry were in any room of the little house at Godric’s Hollow. They had gone.

But how? There had been anti-apparition wards around the house, Severus could sense them quite clearly, the windows were all closed, there were no footmarks outside. Three brooms, one of which was pathetically small, still lay forlorn in the cupboard.

Besides, James was dead, slumped in the hallway, and Severus had seen the Dark Lords robes and wand in the nursery, before the fallen, splintered crib. Something had happened there. Could Lily have killed the Dark Lord and run? In the first few days some had timidly suggested that she could still be hiding, afraid, not knowing who to trust. But as the hours crawled, flew, past the hope dwindled like a candle in winter. No one had heard from her, not even Sirius…

Sirius… poor bastard. Severus could not find it in his heart to hate the ex-auror, he had even learnt to respect him. Black had, after all, copied Severus into every report of every potential sighting of Lily, possibly on Dumbledore’s request. And the man was still searching for her, after three years, when even the werewolf had lost hope. Hardly eating (Severus made him nutrient potions), hardly sleeping (some of which were spiked with dreamless sleep), never giving up.

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. Insanity ran in the Black family: they had thought it had missed Sirius: despite the languid sadism of his youth, he had been amazingly well-balanced. Well, the late bloomer is always the most magnificent. Sometimes Severus envied Sirius, it would be lovely to be able to give into madness and hare around for the rest of his life, expecting to find her, alive and well, at any moment.

Severus, however, knew she was gone. He had felt it in his soul, the very moment his eyes had fallen on her home, now visible since the wards had fallen. At first, he’d had reason enough to hope Lily lived, the Dark Lord had been a man of his word. That was the one crumb of comfort that He’d offered his followers- if He said someone would live, they would be spared. He could send a stun as effective as the draught of living death, after all.

Why had He not spared her? Why were their bodies never found and what on earth could have killed the Dark Lord? It was a mystery even the Prophet had tired of, there was no answer! Well, no answer sane enough to print in a respectable paper. The Quibbler had enough ideas. Some of the rag's readership had even thought Lily had run away with Pettigrew. (Remus had seen to the traitor, sniffed him out like the wolf he was. Ever since the werewolf had brought the backstabbing rat to justice, Severus had sent him batches of his improved wolfsbane potion, anonymously of course.)


Severus laid aside the yellowing paper and rubbed his eyes. He had soaked in misery long enough, there were draughts to make, papers to mark and a plethora of other little jobs that made up the life of a Hogwarts master. He was just pulling his aching bones out of his green leather armchair- how long had he sat, woolgathering- when a large dog patronus appeared.

Sirius! His patronus was easy enough to recognise, but one glance told him that it was not good news. The ghostly dog was prostrate, clawing at its fur, its mouth open in a rictus of agony.

“Found her!” It shrieked “Inferi. Pups! Pups! Merlin! Help!”

OoOoO

In hindsight, Severus felt that he had been foolish to believe that the worst moment of his life was seeing the house at Godric’s Hollow, door open, gaping, like a corpse’s mouth.

This was worse.

A skeleton, barely covered with leather-like skin, tufts of auburn hair hanging ragged from her skull, sat on a rock, her eyeless gaze on a two year old baby playing with a chubby four year old.

It had been Lily.

In the background Sirius gibbered, wrenching out chunks of his greying hair. Severus, cruelly, unbelievably, sane, watched the children, apparently happy and healthy and hissing to each other in Parseltongue, both naked as the day they were born.

To add to the nightmare, the youngest child, with his thick black hair and pale, pointed face, was a dead ringer for the young Tom Riddle in all aspects but his olive green eyes.

They could not stay here, they had to take them to Hogwarts. Dumbledore would know what to do. Thankfully, both the inferi and the children were relaxed, unafraid of the presence of the two strangers. The inferi Severus could understand, it was charmed to be submissive, but the children... "They fear not men in the woods because they see so few." the slip of poetry flutted ghostlike through his mind, setting Severus even more on edge. They had to leave before his sanity gave out.

Severus had swallowed and told Sirius to pick up the children. Sirius, with dog like obedience, had knelt and gathered the unresisting children into his arms whilst Severus approached the inferi. She- it- looked up, a smile forming on what remained of its lips. His heart trying to crawl out of his throat, Severus gently took hold of her ice cold arm. It had been Lily. Sirus grasped his old enemy's other arm and apperated.

 

0o0o0

Later, in Dumbledore’s office, when Sirius' weeping had faded, the grey faced headmaster had asked Severus for his theories. Severus had not hesitated: Voldemort had been considering an heir in those last, awful months. (Voldemort, he could say his name now, after this all respect had gone.) The dark wizard was unable to cope with any kind of rejection and all living women were capable of rejecting him, even if coerced by fear, the imperius or potions. So, to satisfy his perversions, Voldemort stole the corpses of beautiful women after raids. Only a fool would believe his excuse of needing more inferi, it was necrophilia. All of the inner circle knew. Everyone.

 

And the child was the heir, Voldemort must have animated Lily’s corpse to act as a caretaker. Inferi were not all for the purposes of attack: for most of recent history inferi had been guards and warriors but, earlier on, dark wizards had created all sorts of slaves from the corpses of their dead enemies.

When Voldemort had died, the inferi had sensed danger, taking off with her child and, in the depths of the woods, given birth to Voldemort’s…

As to how Voldemort had died, all Severus could suggest was that, somehow, the curse on Harry had backfired: Lily must have bartered for his life with hers, Severus had explained woodenly. Supplemented by the bad karma of breaking his oath to Severus, the breach of magical contract had reflected the killing curse which the dark wizard had aimed at the child. Contract magic was dangerous enough to have been dubbed a dark art (and would have been, if it wasn’t so damn useful.)

Severus’ monologue faded out and the three wizards sat staring vacantly at the inferi, tenderly playing with the two children.

After what seemed to be an eternity, Dumbledore whispered hoarsely “I have a contact in Egypt. He has seen many things which I prayed I would never see. He will be able to help her.”

“Can nothing be done?” Sirius asked, his mouth working frantically.

Severus shook his head, too drained to curse him for an imbecile “Nothing can bring the dead back to life.”

"But the kids, she's their mother!"

"She is an inferi!" Seveus stated baldly "This situation cannot continue."

Dumbledore steepled shaking fingers “Lily must be laid to rest. As for the boys…”

To Severus’ surprise, Sirius interrupted “We can look after them. Me n’ Severus.”

“Us?!” Severus heard someone answer. It must have been him, it had been Severus’s voice.

Sirus turned, his eyes dead but for a spark of determination. “Us. I’m Harry’s godfather and you because you know mind magic, can heal and, besides, you speak parseltongue.”

“I… a parselmouth!?”

“Some of the aurors who fought him, the ones who returned, knew that mind magic thing.” Sirius replied “They said his mind was a mess, apparently half of his thoughts were English, half parseltongue, all mixed up together. But you got us information from Him and, besides, everyone knew you were a swot at languages, all those books in funny writing. You must be able to understand a bit at least.”

Severus nodded “Well deduced.” He looked over at the boys, then at Dumbledore, whose expression was suddenly appraising. The idea of them, two bachelors, one obviously insane and the over covertly insane, trying to raise too emotionally broken children was foolish. It had to be stamped out. Before it took root.

“Harry must have relatives, people who would contest…”

Dumbledore broke in “Harry’s only adult blood relative is Petunia Dursley… I do not think, after what has happened… although I could raise blood wards if we were to place Harry and his brother…”

Severus shook his head firmly “Petunia is out of the question, she abhors magic.”

“Besides, she’s a right spiteful bitch” Sirius added “She made Lily miserable, couldn’t get over that her sister had magic and she didn’t, and it would be the same with Harry and the baby. Me n’ Snape have had our differences but at least we’ve grown up!”

“Black…” Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. “We. Are. Not. Suitable. You have had a mental breakdown…” Severus cursed himself, now was no time to behave like a brash Gryffindor.

“I know I did but I’m better now. I’ve found them!” Sirius replied “It messed my head up not knowing what happened but now I do, its horrible but at least I know.” Sirius looked at him, determination bringing back some of the old strength and resolve to his face. “Who else could do it? Who would want to do it? Even without… without their upbringing, that kid is the child of He Who Must Not Be Named! Who would want them?”

Dumbledore stood up, pacing the room. “Severus, Lily died for Harry and this child, the baby is an innocent, regardless of his parentage.”

Severus shook his head “The son is not the father. I am aware… but…”

“And he is Lily’s son. They both are Lily’s sons.” Dumbledore added

“No one else would want to take them and, besides who else could protect them like we could? I was a crack auror once, and you were…” Sirius raised his head proudly, determined to say tell the truth “you were one of the best duellers in our year!”

Severus swallowed.

“We can do it!” Sirius insisted.

“Yes, I suppose we can…”

To be continued...
End Notes:
Note: In the books, the ability to speak parseltongue is shown to be inherent- Harry does not need to learn it, like a normal language, he can speak it automatically.

Therefore, if the children were both parselmouths, they would discover that they were able to communicate through parseltongue as soon as they met a snake, which wouldn't take long in the woodlands.
Thinking it Through by Morgana

Severus perched on the bed, occluding desperately as he stared vacantly at Lily’s boys. There was too much to think about, too many problems, too many potential answers. So, as he had on so many occasions in the past, the young potions master simply shut down part of his brain, so that the wriggling worries would not prevent him from doing his duty.

Said duty, right now, consisted of waiting with the boys until Madam Pomfrey arrived. They appeared cheerful, happily playing with the loose robes Sirius had transfigured for them, with a warming charm added by Severus to stop them from pulling off said clothing. The boys appeared to enjoy the warmth, their lives had so little that it seemed a luxury, Severus supposed.

And many things would be treated as luxuries by the children. Like having an adult who spoke to them, rather than merely mechanically serving their basic needs. Little Harry had been so excited when Severus had tentatively approached him, hissing out a greeting.

//Sunshine, hatchling.//

//Sunshine, fang-nose. Is there meat? Hatchlings are hungry.// the child had responded with wide green eyes and a bright smile.

//You and little hatchling come with me to hunt meat?// Severus had responded, schooling his lips into a smile. Thank Merlin for children’s stomachs. It was an ideal excuse to get them away from It.

The inferi had, of course, tried to follow but Dumbledore’s modified shield charm kept her in his office. As Sirius carried the now be-robed Harry into the corridor, the child had asked why his ‘hatcher’ was not following them.

//Hatcher is tired. Needs sleep// It was not a lie, Lily did need to be laid to rest. Severus was half longing for, half dreading the arrival of Hamad Ra, scheduled, via a quick floo call, for that evening.

Calling in at the kitchens on their way to the Hospital Wing, Severus had glanced into Harry’s mind before ordering cubes of very rare steak for the boys Sirius had nearly shrieked on seeing the almost raw meat. The man was a Gryffindor through and through- what did he think they had been eating? Chicken nuggets and chips?

Yes, this certainly would be a steep learning curve for Sirius. Severus wondered idly if the man’s head was half as full of worries as his. They had to teach the boys so much.

Severus rested his cheek against the iron headboard of the hospital bed, trying to ignore Black’s fidgiting. He had been the same for the first few years at Hogwarts, before he had learnt that polishing the chair with one’s behind would scarcely attract the ladies.

Poppy Pomfrey wandered out of her office, her face pale. Behind her, Severus saw Dumbledore’s patronus vanish. No explanations needed? Lovely.

Severus dragged himself to his feet as Sirius bounced up to the Mediwitch, blathering away. How had he managed to get through auror training with such abysmal powers of observation? But then, he’d always had Potter to watch his back.

No-nonsense as always, Poppy waved Sirius away and started casting diagnostic spells on the two green eyed children. The boys watched, wide eyed at the lights.

//Shiny. Nest-hatchling, look, shiny!//

//Sparkle, like sky lights but blood and water and sand and leaf//

“What are they saying, Severus?” Sirius asked, gnawing at his lip.

“They like the colours of the spells.”

“Oh.”

“Of course they do.” Madam Pomfrey smiled at the children, who grinned back. “They’re both in good health, though slightly lacking in calcium, it’s to be expected I suppose. What’s the little one’s name?”

“He does not have a name as yet.” Severus replied. “We will think of one anon.”

//What is the big snakes hissing?// the toddler whispered.

//Don’t know, said ‘name’.// Harry replied.

//What is ‘name’?//

//What big snakes call other snakes. My name is Hairy.//

The toddler shrieked with laughter //Hairy! Hairy, Hairy, Hairy!//

Sirius’s brows knotted “What’s happening now?”

“They are discussing names.”

“Oh, what am I called?”

“Dog-snake. And before you ask, I am called sharp-nose.”

Madam Pomfrey coughed and Sirius smiled for the first time in almost three years “Sharp nose?”

“Names are descriptions in Parseltongue. Harry thinks he’s called ‘Hairy’.”

“If you say so, Sha…”

“If you ever call me that, Black, I will hex you.”

“Now, boys” Poppy interrupted reprovingly. “Sirius, I would start learning to hold your tongue if I were you. You’re going to be living together for the next fifteen years…”

 “Living together?”

“Yes Black. How else are we going to raise two children?”

“But not the same… not the same room or anything” Sirius asked desperately.

“No, definitely not.”

“Okay then.” A pause “Where ARE we going to live?”

“You will work it out soon enough” Poppy stated. “I want to keep these boys for observation for a few days so you have time enough to think.”

“Thank you Poppy” Severus replied. It had been his most pressing worry, where to take the children. His quarters were out of the question- too many pointy, poisonous things and Sirius had sold his flat to fund his search.

“Snape, lets grab a bite to eat and work stuff out.” Sirius scratched at his head. “I need some food in me.”

“The children will probably be ready for a nap soon” Poppy assured. “Off you go.”

Severus glanced over at the boys on the bed, who were happily prodding the light on the bedside table, giggling as it turned on and off.

“Now is as good a time as any I suppose."

0o0o0

The Hogwarts kitchens were remarkably quiet and empty, a result of it being the easter holiday, Severus thought. The elves must all be in the dungeon level, busy crafting the huge, ornate chocolate eggs which would adorn the tables that Sunday. As Sirius plonked himself at the end of one of the long tables a tiny house elf bustled up.

“May Hester help yous sirs?”

“A “Flittiwixs” pale ale would be good” Sirius said, rubbing his eyes.

“A coffee please, Hester” Severus replied

“I has some of that Turkish coffee. With the nice flutterbloom honey perhaps?” Hester replied, fluttering her sparse eyelashes at Severus.

“That would be lovely.”

“And can we have some food?” Sirius asked “Medium steak, digestive biscuits and some bits of red pepper, cut into little strips?”

“Youse was always very strange Mr Sirius Black.” Hester shook her head “Youse has gotten stranger. Would you like anything to eat Mister Potions Master Sir?”

“A meat pie and mash would be lovely” Severus said automatically.

“Comfort food mate.” Sirius commented, gnawing on a nail. “Amy Evans always did a good meat pie, didn’t she?”

“Yes.”

An uncomfortable silence lingered. Sirius took a draught of his ale and sighed.

“By tonight, we’ve got to work out quite a lot of stuff.”

“Yes.”

“I’ve got Grimmauld place but it’s… not the sort of place to bring a kid up. That place has so much darkness ground in that you couldn’t clean it up in a month of Sundays. Even if I threw out the ornaments and books, the furniture itself is cursed and as for the portraits…” Sirius shook his head.

“Spinner’s End is also inappropriate. Certain… unfortunates know of its whereabouts and it is traceable through the post office merely if you know the name ‘Snape’”

“Got it.”

“Hogwarts is an option. Much of the castle is empty, including some of the larger towers.”

Sirius shook his head “I love Hogwarts and everything but…” Sirius looked down “I don’t know whether I can trust everyone here, you know? Kids are capable of some awful things and, well, it’s one thing sending an eleven year old here, they can be told stranger-danger and all that, but a toddler? It’s too dangerous.”

Severus nodded “A safe-house then. I will ask Albus if there were any which were unused.”

Sirius bit his lip “Perhaps we’d should be hide in plain sight.”

Severus raised his eyebrow “How can we hide Harry Potter in plain sight?”

“No one’s seen him for three years, no one knows he has a little brother. Hell, no one knows he’s even alive! We could give them new identities, the team did it for a few of high risk people during the last war and mostly they survived.

Severus allowed an expression of respect to filter into his features “You surprise me, Black” 

Sirius shrugged, pulling a grimace “Yeah, James meant a lot to me and I don’t want to change the kid’s name or features, much less pretend anyone else is his dad but…” he sighed “Look at what happened to Alice and Frank- just because the bastard’s dead doesn’t mean that his followers were all rounded up. Besides…”

“Besides what?”

“I wasn’t the only one still looking, you know. There were other people, two or three maybe. They still want to settle the score and, well, it’s not worth the risk, is it?” Sirius looked uncomfortable “Gryffindor bravery is one thing but James hid for the sake of Harry, left his ancestral home, his job, even his friends, even Moony, we even cut off Moony just in case it was him. After all that, I’ve got to keep Harry safe, whatever it takes.”

Severus nodded “I too, promised to protect Harry.” It was the least he could offer; once an enemy showed their underbelly, a good Slytherin did one of two things- took the opportunity or called a truce. 

Even if Severus hadn’t agreed to look after Lily’s child, he would have found it more difficult than he cared to admit to take the first option: possibly at Dumbledore’s behest, Sirius had acted with respect towards Severus since he had joined the Order and, although Lily was not Severus’ wife or relation so, under the old laws, there was no magical debt owed for Sirius frantic search, there was nevertheless something that felt like a debt. 

“As far as I am aware, Regulus’ disappearance was never fully explained. Voldemort considered that he may have been taken by the aurors, as you know, a body was found on the outskirts of Hogsmeade, shortly before the attack on Godric’s Hollow.”

“No one knew whether it was Reg, I know. Sent my mother mad.”  Sirius said woodenly. “My brother’s kids?”

“Identity potions and glamours are notoriously difficult to maintain, especially on a child, and Polyjuice is not recommended for infants. The boys are both under the age of five, so a blood adoption would change their features to resemble those of the Black family, any Potter traits that remain would be easily explained and, should their eyes remain green, the connection to the Peverells is also well known.”

Sirius nodded “Yeah. It’s permanent, though.”

“All the better. The boys may need protection for the rest of their lives and, should we decide to tell them their history, they will just have to accept that we made the choice that would best protect them.”

“What about their names?”

“Regulus was proud of his lineage so Harry should have a name associated with that house. The toddler is another story, his father would have predeceased him so his mother would have chosen.”

“What about the mother?” Sirius asked suddenly “Who was she and how come she gave them up now?”

Severus looked thoughtful “We need someone who is at least a half-blood, a muggleborn would tempt reprisals. Perhaps a woman who lived alone, who may have died alone and left the children in the care of a house elf. That may help to explain any strangeness.”

Regulus thought for a moment “One branch of the family lives in France, the split off after the Potters. I think I heard that Esme Nigellus died of dragonpox about two years ago but she was in her late forties I think.”

“All the better, it could be a reason why Regulus did not mention the match.” Severus Said thoughtfully “Was there a post-mortem? Did she have many friends?”

Sirius shook his head “Nah, she died in the Paracelsus hospital so the death certificate was signed off without any fuss. As for friends, she was a bit of a shut-in for the last 20 years. Her fiancé died and left her a large house in the countryside. If it hadn’t been for me, she’d not even have had a funeral, there was no one else at the cremation but the priest.” Sirius said sadly.

“So you handled her affairs?”

“There was no one else.” Sirius shrugged “She was a Black and, well, it’s a crap family but I had to at least get her a decent burial.”

Severus nodded “So, it is plausible that you discovered the boys when administering her estate. Did she have house elves?” 

“One I think, still in the house from what the will said.” Light dawned on Sirius “I could possibly get it, I am the head of the family now.”

Severus allowed himself a small smile of satisfaction “It appears a good story. I shall do some research before we release the information, however.”

“How do we explain you, though?” Sirius asked “We can’t just expect people to think it’s natural that we of all people have shacked up together.”

“Regulus was a close friend” Severus said quietly “It was well known amongst the Death Eaters.” On seeing Sirus’s expression, Severus added “We were both young men who had foolishly pledged allegiance to a cause which turned out to be far worse than either of us could have imagined and, from what he confided in me, I know that Regulus was searching for a way to leave before the end. All I have to say is that I am the boys’ godfather, that the elf in question relayed this information and that, like adults, we chose to forget our differences for the greater good of our dependants.”

Hester considered this an appropriate moment to approach the table “Your meals, sirs. And your ale Mr Black and your coffee Mister Professor Sir.”

“Thank you, Hester.”

Sirius picked up his steak and started to gnaw at it. Severus sighed.

“I think that, now we know what the cover-story we are using, perhaps it may be a good idea to discuss house rules?”

To be continued...
End Notes:
Any suggestions for the boys new names?

I hope Severus and Sirius are not too OOC. Sirius, having avoided Azkaban, is a lot more rational and mature and, moreover, has spent time with the adult Severus, who he knows cared about Lily enough to set aside his hatred and help Sirius in his quest.
A Moment for Reflection by Morgana


Severus sat back in his green leather armchair, nursing a responsibly small firewhiskey and enjoying the crackling fire which he had told Sirius he needed to use to make floo calls to certain individuals whose discretion could be trusted and whose knowledge was needed. However, the young Potions Master had learned long ago that more haste was less speed when it came to extracting information: “work out your question first, then ask” as old Professor Amun used to say.

 

So here he was, toes curling into the thick, pale gold and jade green emerald rug left to him by a predecessor, mulling over what had been probably the strangest day of his life. It had certainly been made up from surprises.

 

Perhaps the biggest surprise, after the news about Lily, had been Sirius’ reaction to it all. Yes, Severus had understood that the man was no longer the louche, arrogant bully of his youth. Youth! It was strange in itself that his generation thought of that word in the past tense; in their twenties and already old men, with the guilt of soldiers who had won the battle but lost almost everyone who had meant anything.  

 

Yes, Sirius had grown up: auror training had given him discipline, taught him that his gifts- charm, intelligence and good looks- did not count for anything if he did not focus on the job in hand. There was no place for bullies- or pranks- in the auror corps and, at the few Order meetings he’d attended, Lily had ruled over the four men with an iron rod. Her mother’s maiden name had been Manners and the family’s unofficial motto was “Every Manners will have good manners”- the marauders hadn’t stood a chance against the beautiful redhead.

 

Absentmindedly brushing away a tear, Severus reached over and picked up the little silver pot of floo powder, initialled with a small, elegant “S.S.” Salicia Slytherin, an earlier head of Slytherin and one of the last to bear the name. He cupped the pot in his hands. He would call Hagrid first. The groundskeeper deserved to know what was happening, to say goodbye.

 

Severus had always had a soft spot for Hagrid, who had administered a fair few clips to the marauder’s ears and rescued Severus from a several pranks which, having been caught unaware, he would otherwise have found it difficult to extract himself from.

 

Hagrid had also been the one to find them, that night at Godric’s Hollow. Severus had arrived first and having, seen the house, the door gaping and James lying slumped against the stairs, proceeding to run around like a lunatic, screaming Lily’s name. Then there had been the roar of a motorbike outside, Sirius had run in, took one look at James and launched himself at Severus.

 

The ensuing scuffle had been short and undignified: being picked up off the floor and held at arms length like two naughty pups by the gigantic groundskeeper (who had somehow perfected his hold to mean that they could not even reach their wands, let alone draw them) had stopped the punches but not the words. Severus had accused Black of handing Lily to Voldemort, Black- red in the face with indignation and fury- had started to accuse Severus before paling and then starting to rave about Pettigrew, rats and secret keepers. On realising that Pettigrew had been made the secret keeper, Severus being- he admitted it now- a heartless git- had cursed Black for a fool: any idiot could have worked out that, if there was a spy, it would be that snivelling little weasel.

 

The Sirius had started to weep, admitting that the blame lay solely on his shoulders, that they should have trusted Remus, he had been a fool, etc, etc. Severus, shocked and with the nauseating sensation of guilt building in his stomach, had told Sirius not to be so arrogant as to claim all the blame, that the fault was that of the person who told Voldemort of the prophesy and (overcome with despair and almost welcoming punishment) the young potions master had admitted that person had been him.

 

At that point, Hagrid had shaken them and told them both not to be so daft. Nobody could have known that Voldemort would have taken Sibil Trelawney’s  words seriously- he had known Tom Riddle at school and the boy had always sneered at divination believing the subject to be mumbo jumbo and himself to be invulnerable to the fates. As for swapping the secret keepers, no one could blame Sirius for trusting a friendship which had lasted the best part of a decade. It had been Voldemort’s fault, plain and simple, to Hagrid’s mind.

 

Hearbroken and vulnerable, they had been escorted to Dumbledore’s office, where Remus Lupin was waiting, red eyed and shaking. Plans had been made: Sirius was to search for Harry and Lily, Remus (with the aid of James’ invisibility cloak) was to find Pettigrew and Severus had to slip on his death eater persona and gather up as much information as possible about Voldemort and his whereabouts. As he had left the office, Hagrid had put a hand on his shoulder and said “Don’t be a martyr, Sev’rus, there’s folks what need you alive.”

 

And the Groundskeepers words had been prophetic: two little boys, Lily’s sons, did need him.

 

Fiddling with the acorn shaped lid of the pot, Severus’ thoughts returned to his now partner in crime. Despite their earlier resolution that Hogwarts would be too dangerous for the two toddlers, Dumbledore- in his patented ‘wise old grandfather’ manner- had talked them around: the boys had new identities and they would not be roaming the school, perfectly safe in their chambers and Severus does have a private garden, perfect for young ones, besides I’ve been thinking about opening up a position for a duelling master for some time, dear boy, wouldn’t Sirius be just perfect, we could keep the governors happy by incorporating it into a ‘Wizarding Culture” course, who better to teach it than a Black?  

 

So, the new, rather puzzled, Professor Sirius Black was off choosing his rooms, which Hogwarts would then connect up to Severus’. The old girl was rather adept at that, having had centuries of courtships amongst the staff (some of whom would not know the word ‘compromise’ if it hit them hard over the head and certainly were not going to leave their comfortable chambers, thank you very much!)

 

So, all in all, the list drawn on the discussion on house rules had slimmed considerably. Of course, the more important points remained: as Sirius had pointed out, they both had hot tempers and therefore, the children’s presence should be treated like a no-conflict zone.

 

“We are a bit alike, you know, we both can’t handle critics but we react differently- you get snarky and I throw a tantrum and your snarkiness makes me angrier and my temper makes you more snarky. So, I think we’ve got to go cold turkey- we’ve got to avoid pissing each other off in front of the kids. If you say yes or no to something and I disagree, I’ll shut up and I expect you to respect my decisions too. Unless either of us is being a git- kids need to know that, if one parent gives them a hard time, the other will back them up. Only over big things, though. And, if the kids are in your quarters, I’ll make sure I wash up and don’t let them mess with your stuff.”

 

The little speech reminded Severus of a book written about the mating habits of Hippogriffs, which generally started off with a peace treaty. A better approach, perhaps, to drafting one after hostilities.

 

Then Sirius had dropped his bombshell “As for my quarters, well, I might have someone living with me soon.”

 

“The werewolf..!”

 

“No Snape” Sirius interrupted snappishly “A woman. My fiancée.”

 

For once, Seve8rus was lost for words “How… When?”

 

Sirius shrugged, blushing “Look, you know that year that I disappeared for a couple of months, around Yule.”

 

“And turned up with a massive scar on your leg?”

 

“Yeah, well, Sadie, she kind of likes dogs and, um, she found me, as Padfoot, in a gin trap. Well, it was her dog, Gandalf, who found me: they were walking in the snow and he sniffed me out and allowed her to help me.”

 

“Allowed her?”

 

“He knew I was an animagus, right. I didn’t though- I must have hit my head when I passed out and it took me a while to remember who and what I was. Anyhow, Sadie took me home and sewed up my leg- she’s a vet.”

 

“A muggle woman? How on earth did she carry you?”

 

“She’s a squib, actually. And she carried me over the back of Gandalf. Now there’s a big dog- he’s huge, even under all that long grey fur. Kept his eyes on me every moment, I can tell you. Didn’t trust me a whisker around Sadie.” Sirius smiled “Anyhow, she pas preparing to stitch me up and would have given me canine anesthetic if Gandalf hadn’t told her not to. I woke up to find myself on a scrubbed kitchen table, cushion under my head in the midst of a one-sided argument: he had his paw pinning her hand to her medical bag. I was so surprised, I changed. Heh, luckily she knew all about animaguses, otherwise she’d have thought she’d gone mad.”

 

“Is nothing conventional with you, Black” Severus asked wearily.

 

“Well, it was kind of conventional: frog prince meets little red riding hood.”

 

“Ha ha. I’m splitting my sides, Black. So she is a squib, of good family.”

 

“Yeah, it’s a light family, quite new but established enough for most Voldie supporters, if that’s what you mean. Bella would be mortified but she always thought squibs should be put down at birth…”

 

“And not even Voldemort agreed with that- the preservation of magical blood, etc.” Severus had finished. “So, out of curiosity, how did she react.”

 

“She looked at me, looked at the bottle in her hand and told Gandalf he was a good, clever boy. I tried to get up, the dog growled at me so I sat down again and, well, she got some general anesthetic and asked me if she could help me by sewing up my leg. I didn’t know my arse from my elbow so I just nodded and she sorted me out.” Black grinned “She thought I was on the run but innocent, otherwise Gandalf wouldn’t have let her near me, so she couldn’t tell anyone or take me to St Mungos.”

 

“I see, well, she sounds kind.”

 

“Yeah she is. It took me a couple of days to get my bearings and, in that time, she took care of me and I grew to like her.” Sirius drew a rather battered silver locket from his pocket and showed Severus a photograph of a woman in her late thirties with curly ginger hair, freckles and a large smile, which lit up her blue eyes.

 

“She looks… nice Black. Congratulations.”

 

“Thanks. Um, Gandalf will be coming too.”

 

“A responsible adult, perfect.”

 

Sirius had laughed “Possibly, yeah. Anyway, I’ve been thinking about names. I think Reggie would probably have chosen Orion- as I was disowned, Reg was technically the most senior Black and the heir of the most senior Black always has Orion somewhere in their name.”

 

“Tradition, where would we be without it.” Severus shook his head “And for the younger?”

 

“I don’t know. Esme did like Celtic names.”

 

“ Perhaps Cerin, it means little dark one.” Severus had suggested with a raised eyebrow. “Quite an apt name for the youngest Black.”

 

Sirius had agreed and, together, the young men had gone off to inform Dumbledore of their plans, leading them to the present moment- a moment of peace in a tumultuous day.

 

Severus replaced the pot of floo powder on the mantelpiece, considering that the delicate jade figurines- not to mention the tall silver candlesticks, would soon need to be permanently attached with a sticking charm. With tired dark eyes, Severus glanced around the room, noting books which should be placed on a higher shelf, sharp table corners which needed cushioning charms and the necessity of decorating and furnishing the two rooms which had budded off the corridor, at the far end of his bedroom, like new leaves on a stem. However…

 

Severus snapped his fingers and Hester appeared “Yes Mister Professor Potions Master Sir?”

 

“Hester, could you be so good as to arrange for a couple of your staff to childproof my quarters please, I know that you are very experienced, quite the expert in the field.”

 

Hester beamed “And the two bedrooms, would Sir like me to decorate those, we has lots of lovely children’s furniture in the attics: cots and little beds and high-chairs and changing tables and dear little rocking horses with glass eyeses.”

 

“That would be very kind of you, however perhaps one room could be a bedroom for the two boys and the other a play room?”

 

“Oh yes!” Hester said enthusiastically “And I also has little desks and books and crayons and teddy-bears. And a large dragon, all soft and leathery with a lovely growly thing in his tummy.” Hester’s eyes shone with happiness. “The little sirs will love him!”

 

Severus smiled “I will leave it entirely to your discretion.”

 

The young potions master sat back in his chair, enjoying his whiskey and listening to the happy, shrill whispers of the house-elves at work, accompanied, some ten minutes later, by the rusty growls of an old soft toy who had found a new home.

To be continued...
Goodbye Lily by Morgana
Author's Notes:
The chapter which answers all the questions ;)

“Severus, Severus!”

The young potions master woke with a start, his whiskey tumbler falling, shattering into diamond dust on the floor. Dumbledore’s head was peering out of the fireplace, a tender look of pity in his forget-me-not blue eyes.
 
“Severus” he said gently “it’s time.”

Casting a quick repairo on the glass, Severus struggled upright and thrust his feet into his boots (slip ons were a boon for a Potions Master, who needed to be awake, dressed and at the site of a disaster within ten minutes.) 

Stepping into the green-flamed fire, Severus was surprised to discover that he had not entered the Headmasters Office but stepped into a circular room, the white, domed ceiling of which was set with a number of stained glass windows, most of which depicted handsome, bearded men wearing rather bright robes. Sirius was standing under one of the windows, a few meters away, gazing up at a rather pretty depiction of a young woman holding a small child.

Severus’s gaze moved around the room: at the very front of the chamber, just below the windows, a deep red, velvet curtain hung from a long rail which cut across a section of the room, obscuring it from the view of the several long, curved wooden pews which lined the back of the room. Between the pews and the red curtain stood a small alter, covered with a white cloth and bearing two golden candlesticks, a goblet and a small bowl. 

“Where are we, Albus?” Severus whispered.

Dumbledore, who, for once, was wearing simple white robes, smiled sadly “The chapel. Not many know of it, it has not been used for over a century.”

“For the muggleborns? I had no idea.”

“It was actually Slytherin who determined that a tower should be dedicated for this purpose. It has been renovated since, of course. We had a rather large congregation in the late Seventeenth century.”

“Slytherin?!” Sirius gasped incredulously, turning around.

“Yes, I believe he thought that if the muggleborns could show that they still remained Christians to their families, the chance of friction would be diminished.” Dumbledore shook his head “Slytherin is often misunderstood; he was not an idealist, like the other founders. He hoped to avoid conflict by integration but also understood the pressures muggle-borns faced, especially at times of religious persecution.”

“Why are we here, anyhow” said Sirius.

“The Ceremony of Return, as Hamad calls it, has to be conducted on religious ground. He says the deities do not care whether their god was worshipped there, as long as a god was worshipped.”

“It is Deistic magic?” Severus asked, his face serious.

“Yes, indeed.” Albus’s lined face suddenly looked very old “The spells used to create inferi are not merely dark magic, most of them contain an element of demon worship, with everything it entails. There are such things, Sirius” the headmaster added, noticing the young man’s skeptical expression. “Yes, there are gods and demons in this world, we just choose to forget them in this enlightened age, until we need something.” He spread his hands “When we reach the midnight of our lives, we ask for their help.”

The curtain twitched open and an elderly man appeared. He was almost as short as Flitwick and as round, bald, brown and wrinkled as a walnut. His white linen robes were simple, almost cut like a tunic, with the only adornment being a golden pin, shaped like a scarab beetle, which clasped his robe at the waist.

“Ah, Hamad!” Albus announced “Please allow me to introduce Severus Snape and Sirius Black, they are young Harry’s godparents.”

Hamad nodded, looking at the two young men with kind, albeit sad dark eyes. “Please know that she does not suffer” he said quietly. “I have examined the child, the spells used are known to me.” 

“What did he do..?” Sirius trailed off, the anguish on his face speaking clearly of the conflict between his need to know and his fear of the knowing.

Hamad licked his lips nervously “You have no learning in the old ways of my people, you do not know of the magic of the gods. You, however, young man” he turned to Severus “you know a little more than you would own”

Sighing, Severus reached into his collar and pulled out a small, gold and jade serpent.

“Ah! You are a priest of the Lady of Papyrus.”

Mouth twisting in frustration at Sirius and Albus’ incredulous expressions, Severus bit out “When I… told Voldemort of the prophesy, I was in my final year at the University of Alexandra. I soon learnt that the child in question… that it was Lily who Voldemort was hunting and my tutor, realised that I was in turmoil, took me to the Temple of his deity, the serpent goddess Wadjet.” 

Severus swallowed “She was a protector goddess and she, I suppose she took pity on me. Wadjet offered me the ability to speak Parseltongue, so that I could use my legilimancy effectively.”

“So that’s how you can do it!?” Sirius exclaimed “I thought it was weird, Parselmouths are born, you can’t learn it, but you didn’t know how to do that at school. I mean, that time we put a snake…” Sirius blushed “So, she gave it to you?”

“Yes, in return for my loyalty to her.” Severus replied “Hence the priesthood.”

Sirius looked like he wanted to ask a million and one questions but, before he could open his mouth, Dumbledore intervened. 

“Which spells were cast upon Lily, Hamad?”

Hamad smiled sadly “Yes, we are avoiding the truth, hard as it is to say and also to hear. To create an inferi, the help of the dark one, Seth, is needed. His powers fade at times, at other times grow stronger and, being proud and vain, he will not come at his times of weakness. Therefore, to make an inferi we must wait until Seth is ready. We must also make ready a sacrifice.” He paused.

“So, you have to plan the killing?”

“No, no, there is a spell, it kills, yes, but just before the moment of death the body is… it is like a stasis spell, the body is dying, yes, but not quite dead. If controlled by a necromancer, it can move, even eat… and the spirit trapped within, to be the sacrifice.” Hamad said, in the tone of one determined to get the worst over at once.

“Lily’s… in there?!” Sirius almost shrieked, the colour draining from his face. 

“Yes, but she is as if asleep. She does not suffer, I assure you.”

“But if this spell can achieve so much, why involve the gods” Albus asked, looking sick.

Hamad shook his head “As with all mortal magic, there is a time when the spell will fade and necromancy, it is only able to create a simple machine. Seth alone has the power to create an echo of life, to preserve the corpse and grant it limited intelligence and self-awareness, so it can guard and serve. Therefore those who wish to create inferi have always called on Seth and, thus, the preservation spell has not needed to last for more than a year. After such time, the body will begin to decay.”

“What can be done?” Severus asked finally.

“I will call on my god, the kindly protector of the dead. He will help her into the next world.” Hamad replied. He snapped his fingers and a figure, draped head to toe in a white veil, walked out from behind the curtain and stood before the alter. Severus shuddered, his childhood dreams could not have come back to haunt him in a more macabre fashion.

Hamad approached the veiled figure, Lily, and standing before her, intoned “Anubis, lord and protector, heed me, come to us in this time of darkness.”

A soft glow flickered behind the alter, growing steadily in intensity until it became an orb of bright light. A large, black-furred foot faded into existence, then a paw-like hand wrapped around the side of the orb as if to pull aside a screen. The light dissolved diagonally to reveal a tall figure.

His body was that of a tall, muscular man, but the legs which stretched out from his purple robes were black furred and his head was distinctly canine, although the fur that fell from his scalp and mane appeared to have been plated into a multitude of tiny braids. In one large, black-clawed hand he held a long, silver pole, with a length of obsidian attached by a silver chain to one end.

“I have come” the figure said simply, regarding the four men, two of whom were standing with mouths agape, with benevolent amber eyes.

“My lord Anubis, will you free this mortal and help her into the afterlife.”

“No.”

Hamad paused, looking genuinely non-plussed “But… why?” he asked in a tone more appropriate to one questioning a six year old as to why they had decided to mix super-glue with their breakfast cereal.

“She is not mine to collect. But hark, my son approaches.”

“Your son?!”

Out from behind the massive figure of Anubis a slighter humanoid stepped into the room. Pale as his father was dark, the newcomer’s long, white braids were bound behind his neck, his strong, lean body was dressed in overlapping golden mail, with a decidedly non-ornamental mace tucked into the stout leather belt.

The canine god gazed regally at the four awestruck men with imperious blue eyes and said gruffly “Whepwhawhet.

“Wepwawet?” Hamad echoed, his voice incredulous. 

The wolf-deity nodded before kneeling solemnly before Lily. With gentle paws, he raised the veil over the inferi’s head. 

“I thought she was a mere housewife” Hamad whispered, apparently half to himself.

“Well, Lily did join the Order, she was very gifted at charms, particularly concealment charms,” Dumbledore burbled “And she did once hide the family of one of her friends when the Death Eaters were on their very doorstep. Voldemort was most upset, he had given the order for their deaths directly and, when he sought a couple who had thrice defied him… we believe it Pettigrew who told him.” He sighed “It was the fatal third act of defiance: James had already fought him twice by the time that Harry was born.”

Wepwawet looked over at the old headmaster sternly “No ‘She who has thrice defied him’.” 

“Lily Potter defied the forsaken one three times.” Anubis rumbled, adding by way of explanation “My son is of few words, the warriors he collects usually do not ask for explanations, they have died a good death and are ready for the afterlife.” He smiled, showing a row of sharp white teeth. “Lily first defied him by hiding her friends. Secondly, through his most gifted spy, whose loyalty to her far surpassed his loyalty to the dark one. Thirdly, she refused to stand aside and allow the death of her son when commanded, fighting with words as bravely as another might fight with steel.”

“Brave Wharrior” Wepwawet confirmed “Mhine to take.”

“The first in several centuries. Few warriors are subjugated, most dark lords have had some honour.” Anubis growled 

Wepwawet snarled in agreement before picking up his mace and touching it gently to the inferi’s shoulder. “Come, Wharrior. Whepwawhet calls.”

To the three Hogwarts professor’s amazement, what remained of Lily’s skin started to glow, before beginning to move, knitting itself together. Her red hair began to shine, as vivid as it had been in life, and empty patches on her scalp shrank as new hair grew.

Severus’ heart almost stopped when her eyes fluttered open and, the previously grey, misted orbs were green and bright with self-awareness. She looked around, taking in the astounded faces of Severus, Sirius and Albus, the bemused Egyptian priest and the two gods, who were gazing at her with expressions that combined compassion and satisfaction. 
 
“It was not a dream, then?”

“No my dear.” Hamad replied gently “You have a few minutes,” he added, looking cautiously at Wepwawet. “It is not long but enough to say goodbye.”

“Whepwawhet hold fire.” The wolf god grumbled, looking almost embarrassed under the smile of his father. “Woman wharrior. Family.” 

Lily smiled at Wepwawet “Thank you.” She turned to Severus.

“Lily, I’m sorry, it was I…” 

“I know Sev, it was a mistake, okay. You didn’t know what he’d do, did you?” she sighed “No one could have guessed that Voldemort would have taken it seriously, let alone he’d try to kill the child he thought was prophesised to destroy him. Never heard of Oedipus rex, had he? You chose to protect me, you stopped following him and risked your life to get the information which would have saved us if Peter hadn’t been a spineless git.” She turned to Sirius “And not a word of apology 
from you, either, Mr Black.”

“Okay.” Sirius replied meekly.

“You all tried your hardest to help me, James and Harry survive and, even when we died, you still did your best. Bringing Pettigrew to justice, finding me, agreeing to take care of my boys. Yes I know” she said, looking at their expressions “I didn’t know what was happening to me but I felt the birth of my child in my soul. Look after him, okay, he’s nothing like his biological father. He’s going to grow up to be a good man.” 

“When was your second child born Lily?” Dumbledore asked in a strange tone of voice.

“Nine months from the date of his conception. Exactly nine months. Give him the birthday of 1st August, however.”

Dumbledore nodded. “Of course.”

Wepwawet held out his paw and, with a rueful smile, Lily put her small hand against the black pads. “See you on the other side, in at least a hundred years, mind.”

“Goodbye Lily.” Severus struggled for a moment before saying “I’ll always love you.”

“You too, Sev. You were the best friend I ever had. Bye everyone.” 

Lily moved to step closer to Wepwawet, and it took a second for Severus to notice that the foot that stepped out was as sheer as that of a ghost. As the now transparent form of Lily stood beside the wolf god, her body fell backwards, where it was caught by the waiting Hamad. 

“I will perform the rights that are fitting” Hamad said sincerely, as the bright sun blazed through the windows, burning the reality out of the two deities, causing them to fade to the same transparency as Lily.

 
“Goodbye my priest.” Anubis said quietly “There will not be another inferi. I will come for you anon.”

Hamad sighed in relief “Thank you my lord, the mantle was heavy”

“You bore it well, farewell, for now.”

Hamad, with the ease of long practice, conjured a bier and gently laid Lily upon it. He turned to the three men. Sirius was crying, his face in his hands, Dumbledore was struggling, in vain, to prevent tears from rolling down his cheeks. Severus alone had dry eyes, his face was absolutely blank, his expression echoning the emptiness in his heart.

“It is always hard.” Hamad said softly. “But she is home, now. Safe with the gods.”

“Lily was Christian, though” Sirius finally said, sniffling away his tears “Why did the Egyptian gods come.”

“They are my gods, they appear to you as they appear in my dreams” Hamad explained “Perhaps, if I were a priest, you would see angels.”

Sirius nodded “It’s kind of comforting to know, really. At least she’s at peace now.”

Dumbledore turned to the priest “Thank you, Hamad, we are eternally in your debt”

 

Hamad nodded “You are welcome. As for laying Lily to rest, I believe discretion is needed, yes?”

“It would be preferable if the news of Lily’s discovery were not to be known to anyone outside this room, yes.” Dumbledore stated sadly.

“But what about Remus?” Sirius said, his voice alarmed. “He should, well after everything he deserves to say goodbye.”

Albus nodded “Yes, however he is currently on the continent and, the longer we leave Lily unburied, the greater the chance of discovery and, if people realise that Lily has been found at the same time that two mysterious boys appear, I believe unwanted questions will be asked.”

“Perhaps, if we cremated her… we could lay her ashes to rest at a later date?”

“Yes” the headmaster nodded “It would be a solution.”

Hamad nodded “I can do this, it is a rite frequently practiced amongst the priests of my god, mummification was mainly practiced amongst the muggles.” He explained “They saw inferi and got the wrong idea, so to say.”

Looking at each other, the three men nodded.

Hamad waved his wand in a complex fashion and muttered something strange. The bier was engulfed in violet flames.

“The journey has ended, the new life in the sunlight of the gods begun. I commit this body to the cask, in memory of Lily Potter, who will remain alive in our thoughts and hearts. May all those whose lives she touched remember her with joy.”

The flames burned white, shrinking and condensing into a small, green ceramic urn decorated with lilies. It rose up, into the air, and moved onto a small, oval indentation which had not been there a moment before.

After a long silence, Hamad said “I believe Hogwarts has requested to bear her ashes.”

“Indeed2 Albus nodded, brushing the tears from his eyes. “It is fitting that she remains in the place where those she loved will live.

The four men looked upwards, at the beautiful urn glimmering in the sunlight. In the distance, a blackbird sung and, as the music washed over them, they realised that the horror was over and that life could begin anew.

To be continued...
Lanuage Aquisition by Morgana

A large cup of coffee in his hand and a lare tome nestled in his lap, Severus Snape listened to the clock chime two. He had been advised to get an early night, first by Dumbledore and then, when he and Sirius had arrived to pick up Harr… Orion and Cerin, rather more pointedly by Madam Pomfrey.

Sirius, of course, had headed the advice and was now snoring like a dog in his suite. Even as a boy, the Gryffindor had been too convinced of his charm, eloquence and intelligence to revise into the night. Severus, on the other hand, read compulsively, hungrily, convinced that every scrap of knowledge had to be absorbed in order for him to be properly prepared. Of course, Severus had top marks in most of his subjects but sometimes, in the dead of night, when Lily seemed as distant as Celine, he had wondered whether he would have succeeded in gaining Lily’s hand with merely excellent results if he could emulate the other boy’s nonchalant grace.  

However, merely knowing more than almost everyone else was never good enough and, even now, Severus turned to books rather than just relying on his instincts and hoping for the best. It was, technically, cheating by his high academic standards but, with time so scarce and all the major libraries closed, Severus had resorted to a cheat from his schooldays. With the exception of living things (which appeared to encompass everything from people to the tomatoes on a pizza) the Room of Requirement could summon up anything a wizard needed and Severus had needed books on child-rearing, child language acquisition and (glory be) a tiny, ancient book written by Salazar Slytherin himself as a record of his children’s childhood.

Severus had devoured the small, ancient book first, marvelling at the charm work, which translated the text from Old English, and the amazing stories about Slytherin’s private life as well as the more relevant insights into how to teach English to young children who have become all too used to using their inherent language.

A wise man would, probably, have stopped after the memoir but Severus had picked up the next book (a down to earth text for first time parents) then the next (for adoptive parents of toddlers) and was now speeding through the books on child language acquisition. His brain started to whisper that he knew enough for at least the first day of parenting, that, even without his extracurricular reading, he would have been able to keep the children clean, fed and alive.

But Severus read on.

OoOoO

There are few ways of being awakened which are pleasant. Gentle sunlight is one, the smell of freshly baked buns another. However, the list of happy awakenings does not include a hysterical man shieking “Oh! My! God! He’s eating a rat!!!”

Severus awoke to find Sirius, wild eyed and tousle-haired, ripping a half eaten but wholly furred rodent from Orion’s hands. The resultant scream brought forth a higher, younger wail from Cerin, apparently still in his cot.

Wooziily, Severus stood up and scooped the crying Orion into his arms.

“Fang-nose! Fang-nose! Dog-man took my kill! Tummy hurts! Hungry! Hatchling hungry! Cannot hunt, trapped in cage!”

Severus sighed “Rat meat not good meat for two-legs. Dog-man not want snakelet Harry poisoned of rat-meat. Fang-nose hunt better meat for Harry and hatchling.”

“Rat meat good! Not poison.” Orion protested.

“Fang-nose hunt better meat, Ask Fang-nose for meat, no hunting, Meat like before sun-rose this day”

Orion looked as Severus with huge green eyes “Two-legs meat good.”

Severus entered the kitchen, set Orion on the counter and pulled open the fridge. With his usual foresight, it contained a number of packets of fresh stake, as well as a large bottle of milk, He picked up the bottle thoughtfully and Orion’s eyes lit up.

“Milk!” the child exclaimed in english.

Severus felt giddy “Would you like milk?” he asked hopefully.

Orion’s face was a picture of surprise, Slowly, as if dragging up something from a great depth, he responded “Harry milk!”

Severus nodded “//I hunt //milk//” before replying in English “I will pour you some milk”, Orion grasped the offered beaker keenly. “Milk // good prey. Not had it for many suns and moons//  
 
//You hiss // I like milk// in two leg speak. Means //Milk// good prey.”

“I…like milk?”  Orion repeated uncertainly. //why hiss in two-legs speak. Like rocks in mouth.//

//You will hunt with two-legs. Two-legs not good hunters of snake-speak. Two-legs only speak two-legs speak// Severus replied, quoting Slytherin almost to the word.

//Fang-nose speak snake-speak// Orion pointed out, looking hopefully at the piece of meat that Severus was carefully cubing.

//Fang-nose all alone in snake-speak. Hatchlings must hunt with other two-legs hatchlings. Must learn two-legs speak. Fang-nose hunt two-legs speech with hatchlings.//

Severus put a pan on the hob and, taking a small handful of the meat, began to cook it.


//what Fang-nose doing with prey?//

//two legs way of eating. You eat prey snake way, you eat prey two legs way. Hunt how prey is better meat.//

Orion looked sceptical but, as with the milk, the smell of cooking meat appeared to stir some memory in him. //I eat new way like two-legs//

At that point Sirius walked in, a red faced Cerin in his arms. “He won’t stop crying!"

Orion looked up at Sirius, his green eyes widining as he took in the long, crimson dressing gown "Padfoot!"

Sirius' mouth dropped open.

"Padfoot! Padfoot like milk?"

"Ye... yeah!" Sirius stammered, a huge grin stretching across his features "Hoiiw the hell did you get him doing that?"

Severus strode over and plucked the crying Cerin from Sirius' grasp "It appears that scents and sights- the  red dressing gown looks like your auror robes, yes?- help Orion to remember words which he learnt as a toddler." Severus patted Cerin's bottom "He's wet. You look after the  steak, I'll change Cerin. And Sirius..."

"Yeah" Sirius grinned, beaming at Orion.

"Please try not to swear, we don't want Orion's first words to be littered with obsenities."

"Hell" Orion chirped happily. "Hell" //new-hissing. Hiss like two-legsss// "Hell, hell, hell!" 

"Yes" Severus sighed, walking down the corridor "This might well be." 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3026