No one Noticed by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: Depressed from the death of his godfather and back to school from the worse summer he ever had, Harry is on the brink of death with no will to live. He just wants to succumb to the darkness knowing his parents are on the otherside, but someone won't let him. Why does he care when he never did before..or did he?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 52909 Read: 81226 Published: 26 Feb 2014 Updated: 13 Jun 2022
Chapter 9: Revenge and Betrayal by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Oh yeah, Everything up until the OOTP happened, but I wrote this before the HBP had came out, so it's AU after that so yeah.
Chapter 9: Revenge and Betrayal

Severus, Minerva and Remus had apparated to Surrey under invisible and notice me charms. They made it to the Dursley's house undetected. They took off the charms and knocked on the door. As they door opened it revealed this overweight grotesque man who seemed to have no neck. Severus was already glaring at the man, knowing that this was the man who had damaged Harry's body so and had nearly killed the child in the process. He had a lot to make up for, if he ever could.


"Can I help you with something? The whale asked.


"Yes, you can let us in so that we can discuss the treatment of your nephew Harry Potter," Minvera said tensely.


"Whatever he has told you what we've done, he was lying. That little no good for nothing freak," Vernon spat out, the disgust evident on his face.


"Funny you should mention what he's said to us. He didn't say a thing but your actions seemed to speak for themselves. We've seen the evidence of your work, and I assure we have a problem that needs to be dealt with. Now I would advise that you let us in Dursely, unless you wish for your neighbors to see us curse you from hell to back. And believe you me, we will. We are adult wizards and witches, and unlike Harry no one can stop us from doing magic," Severus said dangerously as he sneered at him.


Severus smirked as Vernon's face went from purple to pale before opening the door and letting them in. Severus looked around noticing there wasn't a single picture of Harry Potter hanging up. From the looks of it you would never know that a 2nd boy lived here, why hadn't anyone checked on the boy? How they could just assume that because Albus said so he was safe?


"Who is it Honey?" Petunia called from the kitchen.


"Bunch of freaks about the boy," Vernon replied out warily.


A lady with a horse like face came through the sitting room, frowning at the wizards and witch sitting on her couch.


"Hello Tuney," Severus scorned at the woman he remembered from his childhood. The old bint had been cruel to him and Lily just because they had magic and she didn't.


"Snape! Whatever the boy has done, he's your problem now, that little freak," Petunia shrilled out.

Snape kept his Occulmency shields high lest he loses control and ends of strangling the woman before they got what they came for. He had never laid a hand on a woman and he wouldn't start now matter how annoying they were, he would never be like his father.


"He hasn't done anything, that whale of a husband of yours nearly killed him. We've been struggling to keep him alive. You are aware that if he dies your world would fall first? You've heard of Voldermort haven't you?" He asked her casually, ignoring the pain that flared through his arm at the use of the Dark Lord's name.


She nodded eyes wide in fear as she took in his words, Lily had told her that when they went into hiding. "I thought he was gone," she whispered out.


"He was for a time but now he's back and the only one who can save us is that child you allowed him to beat. If Harry were to go dark and join the Dark lord, he'll come after you first and that Oaf next to you," Severus said cruelly.


Severus wasn't lying; when Harry finally had enough he wasn't going to stand in his way. He had however had given her something to think on, and that's what he wanted. He left Remus and Minerva downstairs and went looking for Harry's room. He stopped and opened the 1st bedroom; it was filled to the brim with various toys, electrons, games and clothes, definitely not Harry's room. A week ago Severus would have thought otherwise and nobody would be able to tell him different, but now he knew the truth.


Across the hall was a door with a dozen locks on it and a cat flap; he narrowed his eyes, surely they didn't? He entered the small room and froze at the sight in front of him. He instantly saw the bars on the windows, a small broken bed with tattered blanket, and a dresser that had seen better days. Harry Potter Savior of the wizarding world lived here? And no one knew about it, how none of the teachers himself included, never noticed how much this child had suffered, and they saw him 9 months out of every year.


Severus walked around the small room immediately noticing the difference between the 2 boys room. This one was just sad compared to the other one. As he neared the bed he stilled as he stepped on a creaky floorboard. Raising an eyebrow he bent down on the floor to check it out. What he found had him frowning, his murderous thoughts on the muggles down stairs returning ten-fold.

It had old food in it and candy wrappers from school in it; and he would dumb not to understand the implications of this. If Harry hadn't already told him that they starved him, this would have been the proof right here. While he was looking in the floor board he caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye. He grabbed it and surprised soon covered his face as it turned out to be a University level textbook with various notes and homework in it.


Severus reached for another; he started pulling out an assortment of books out and had to stop when he saw that Harry had 7th year books, the work already done, and even ways to make the spell easier to accomplish. He then came across a paper on wandless magic and his eyes nearly bugged out of his head. It showed all of Harry's progress, what was written shouldn't have been possible for anyone, not even Albus. Severus's mind boggled at that, he knew the child was powerful but he never thought he'd accomplish magic like this.


As Severus pulled the last book from under the bed, he stopped again and thought about the child. In his hand was an extremely advance Potions book, one that he didn't even see until he was apprenticing. How did the boy even get it? Where did he know where to look?Looking at the notes, he saw on potion that every Potion's master dreamed of creating and here this 16 year old had damn near done it.

Severus shook his head he would love to have a conversation about this with Harry in the future; he might be able to help him figure out the last ingredient. Severus conjured a satchel and shrunk the books and put them in the bag.


On the way down the steps he startled at the thought that wondered did anyone know the real Harry James Potter. How could they? When he had hid his intelligence from everyone, fooling them in the process, and Severus wanted to know why. He would talk to Harry about this and he wouldn't accept anymore of his mediocre work he'd been handing in, not when he knew that the child could do better. So focused on his thoughts, Severus didn't feel the need to harm the Dursleys, surely they deserved it but all he could feel was pride.


He walked in on Minerva pretending to look out the window while Remus did a variety of spells that wouldn't hurt them. They would just be embarrassed, smelly, and the talk of the neighbors much to Petunia's discomfort. Severus added a few spells of his own, all of their food would taste like garbage and they would dream about every horrible thing they did to Harry for the next 16 years, and in their dreams Harry would be replaced with their baby whale of a son, and they would feel the pain of hurting him like they should have felt when they hurt Harry.


Severus walked out leaving Remus and Minerva in the house it was getting to hard not to Crucio the man, and he'd promised Albus he wouldn't go to Azkaban, for Harry's sake. They finally came out of the house, and Severus hoped Minerva had remembered the Guardianship papers.


"Did they sign the papers Minerva?" He drawled.


"Well Vernon tried to put up a fight, saying that we couldn't have his property," Minerva said the desire to grit her teeth, nearly overwhelming her. The nerve of that bastard!


"Merlin I hope you told him that Harry didn't belong to anybody and he certainly didn't belong to him." Severus said with half a mind to go back into the house.


"I was going to tell him something, but Remus beat me to it," she answered smugly, with a secretive smile on her face.

At that Severus turned to stare at Remus who had a satisfied expression on his face. It looked completely unnatural on the man's face, as he wasn't used to seeing it.


"So you gonna tell me what you did wolf?" Severys finally asked after Remus didn't say anything for about minute.


Remus smiled a feral smile before answering. "I just told him he'd be wise to refrain from talking ill of Harry especially since his pseudo godfather is a werewolf," Remus smirked with a knowing grin, showing all of his teeth.

"After that declaration he pulled the papers from my grasp in his haste to sign them as fast as he could in case Remus decided to attack him here and now," Minerva said grinning.


Severus had to prevent a shudder from happening, and he almost felt sorry for Vernon, because he knew how frightening firsthand how Remus could be.


"Well that's settled, do you know who's going to be his guardian?" Severus asked as they walked to the apparition point.


No one said anything but the identical expressions on both of their faces, told him what their answers were. Amazingly he wasn't torn up or angry about it. He was already taking care of the child anyone, now he would just have it in writing so to speak.


"Let me talk to Harry about it, before I sign anything; I mean this is his future we're dealing with," he said carefully after all the boy was nearly an adult and he had a say in his life.


"Of course Severus," Minerva replied with a wave of her hand trying hard to stiffle the smile at the use of the child's given name.


"Hmm, when did he become Harry to you Severus?" Remus asked hiding a smile.
Severus scowled and ignored that questing and apparated to Hogwarts boundary line. He thought to himself, when did Potter become Harry?


Harry was walking on cloud 9; he was finally a real snake, instead of just an honorary one. If anyone in the hall were to look at him, they'd see this goofy expression covering his whole face; but he didn't care. As he was walking he thought about how this year had changed, and it was only just starting, it was already the best year he'd ever had. Not ready to go to Hogsmead just yet he walked to the Library.


Ignoring Hermione who was sitting by herself, Harry went to see Madame Prince to see if any new books had come in. Harry was annoyed he had left his study books at the Dursleys and he hoped they didn't find them. Oh well if they did, he could always lie about it, say he got them from an older student right? He checked out a Potions book and practically sprinted way from Hermione to was making her way towards him.

He didn't want to talk to her yet, he was not ready to forgive her yet.
He went to the Chamber of Secrets to read and play with Sammy. He doesn't know how long he sat there reading and talking to Sammy, as he didn't have a sense of time down there. The only thing he was aware of was that sometime in the middle of reading he dozed off. The next thing he knew was something was hissing in his ear, and telling him that he was late for dinner.


He jumped up at that he didn't mean to stay down here that long, he was supposed to meet with Ron. And he knew that they were going to be worried about him, Merlin he hoped Ron didn't go to the Headmaster. He exited the chamber and ran full speed for the Great hall, not focusing on anything but getting there.

He would have had made it without incident but as he turned the corner he found himself barreling straight into his Head of House. Somehow he managed to stay upright, which is good because he hated to think of what Snape and Poppy would do to him if he re-injured himself again.


Harry sighed before he looked at her and after making sure she was okay proceeded to walk around her. He wasn't expecting her to reach out and grab his shoulder to stop him though. He couldn't hold back the sudden flinch as he hadn't been expecting to get touch, and turns to glare at her. He was surprised that she actually let go of his shoulder. Harry smiled inwardly, seems like his Snape glare is becoming effective the more time he spends around the man.


"Mr. Potter, might I have a word with you?" She asks softly.


"I'm late for dinner," Harry replied quietlyturning when Snape emerged around the corner.


"Mr. Potter we're you planning to eat tonight?" Severus asked him giving a look, knowing the child couldn't afford to skip meals.


"Yes sir, I was but she held me up." Harry replied glare returning.


Severus shook his head, the boy was really stubborn and would probably hate him for doing this but it had to be done.


"Oh, why don't you eat dinner with Professor McGonagall in her office then? You too can continued whatever talk then," Severus suggested watching Harry's reaction.


Harry kept his blank expression on his face but inside he was fuming, betrayal was the front emotion coursing through his body. Snape knew how Harry felt about her, was this some kind of sick joke? He shook his head he knew he shouldn't have believed Snape. Adults always hurt you in the end; they always tell you one thing then do the other. There was nothing Harry could do so he said nothing only replying that he understood in that lifeless tone of voice he had used in the hospital, knowing that it unsettled his teachers. Serves them right, for making him do this.


The minute Harry agreed in the monotone voice, Severus knew they had taken a step back. But why he didn't know, he knew that the child would be a bit angry with him but that was it. Assuring himself that Harry was fine he returned to the Great Hall to finish his dinner.


Harry followed Professor Mcgonagall to her office where she had a house elf bring them food. Harry didn't touch or eat a thing; he just remained staring at her waiting for her to start speaking.


His emerald green eyes were hard and she felt exposed like he could see right through her to her soul. More than a little uncomfortable and thinking this was a bad idea, she started speaking.


"Mr. Potter, do you know why I wanted to speak with you? I was with Severus today when he visited the Dursleys today," she started off quietly.
But Harry said nothing.


"I owe you an apology Mr. Potter, never in my life had I known you believed that I didn't care for you. I never meant to make it seem like I never listened to you either. I do hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me Harry," Minerva said sadly, feeling the need to use his given name so he could see that she meant every word.


When it looked like she was done with her apology, Harry was at a loss. He didn't know what to say, this entire week have been so surreal. The Headmaster, Snape, and now Mcgonagall had all apologized to him. Why now? What was so special about his 6th year? Harry said nothing; to be honest he didn't think he could speak without losing control.


He shook his head, as figured out what all this meant; it all came down to the prophecy. They all knew he was supposed to be the one to save them, and they wanted to make sure he was on good terms so he would do it. Harry shook his head again at that stupid idea. He was tired of being here, she had said what she wanted to say, and now he could leave. He took a deep breath to calm his self and ask her just that.


"May I leave?" Harry asked politely.


"Are you sure there's nothing you wish to talk to me about?" She said quietly, her tone slightly pleading.


"May I leave now?" Harry repeated, though he didn't bother replying his patience was waning thin. And he needed to get out of this office before he lost it; lose what he didn't know.


Minerva sighed and nodded her head and Harry took off heading for the Chamber of Secrets once again. He arrived gasping for breath; he couldn't understand why Snape had done that to him, when they were getting along fine. His breath hitched, Harry was on the verges of a panic attack, it was becoming hard to breathe and Harry conjured a razor to bring him back down to earth. Before he could cut the blade was knocked out of his hand by Sammy's tail.


Harry turned to his turmoil stricken face to look at his familiar, they stared at each other silently, and the only sound was Harry's harsh breathing as he tried to get his breathing under control. Without a sound Sammy curled his body around Harry's stomach and torso and squeezed him gently, giving Harry the snake version of a hug.

With Sammy hugging him, he didn't feel so alone and betrayed anymore, especially when Sammy started to softly tickle him, being careful of his sore ribs. Harry sighed in relief he could breathe better now, he didn't want to deal with Snape so he decided to return to their quarters now; where hopefully he wouldn't be back yet. Harry tried to uncurl Sammy from his body but the baby basilisk refused to be moved, looking in his eyes Harry saw the reason why. He didn't feel safe leaving Harry alone and to his thoughts in case he tried to hurt himself again.


*Alright Sammy, but you can't harm anyone up here or they may take you away from me and hurt you. Don't look anyone in eye except me and I'll work on making you something to protect them and where you can see.*


*Of course Harry*


Harry went out the passage that led him to the Slytherin Common Room and walking fast so not to run into anyone he soon stood in front of the entrance to their quarters.


*Young speaker? Salazar gasped; is that the baby basilisk you told me about?*


*Yup, could you let me in before someone sees?*
Harry asked glancing around to see if anyone was near them.*Lily Flower*


So focused on getting in and making sure that no one saw them, Harry missed Salazar warn him that Severus was in his lab. Harry breathed a sigh of relief before hissing to Sammy.

 

*The things I do for you*


*You don't mind, you loved me Sammy smugly replied.*


*That I do Sams*


Harry smirked and was walking to his bedroom when the Potion's lab door opened to reveal a confused Potion's Master. Harry watched as the man tried to figure out what was wrapped around his waist before his Professor's expression turned to horror, as he realized it was a snake.


"Harry what is that around your waist?" Severus cautiously asked, his wand unconsciously falling into his hand.


Harry was frozen in fear and surprise, managing to keep a neutral look on his face he replied.


"It's my familiar Professor; meet Sammy," he managed to get out calmly.


*Sammy that's my teacher ok? He's off limits alright?*

*I understand*

"Is that a baby basilisk?" Severus asked unwilling to believe what his eyes were seeing.


"Yep," was all Harry replied, he was still mad at Snape for what he had done before. And so once he got over the surprise of his Professor being there, the glare from earlier was back full force as he stared at his teacher.


"Harry, I'm sorry I cornered you into speaking with Professor Mcgonagall, but she really wanted to apologize to you. And I know you feel like I betrayed you, I didn't but I apologize nonetheless," Severus told him quietly.


"Of course sir, I'm only a child my rights don't mean a thing. Am I allowed to go to bed sir? Goodnight sir." Harry didn't even wait for an answer as he started back towards his room; he laid on the bed and fell in a restful sleep with Sammy keeping watch over him.


Severus sighed, he really hoped that he didn't give Harry a reason to doubt him. He just didn't want Harry to regret never talking to her and becoming bitter, quite like he himself was.

Severus went into Harry's room to check on him surprised that he was already asleep. The snake was laying on him, and it gave Severus the creeps how similar Harry and the Dark Lord were. He went back to his lab to finish his potions and trying to rid his mind of their similarities.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3033