No one Noticed by Severus Draconis Potter
Summary: Depressed from the death of his godfather and back to school from the worse summer he ever had, Harry is on the brink of death with no will to live. He just wants to succumb to the darkness knowing his parents are on the otherside, but someone won't let him. Why does he care when he never did before..or did he?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Fred George, Other, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Resorting, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 52909 Read: 80921 Published: 26 Feb 2014 Updated: 13 Jun 2022
Story Notes:
So This is my very first fanfiction I wrote, this was here before but I took it down because the grammer was just so bad, but I fixed it. It's finished, I'm just going through fixing the mistakes. It's 17 chapters plus an Epilogue, and the begining of the story is a bit dark I think, but it lightens up and it has humor. So hope you enjoy it.

1. Chapter 1: Happy Place by Severus Draconis Potter

2. Chapter 2: Sometimes it's just not Worth it by Severus Draconis Potter

3. Chapter 3: When in Doubt Deny Everything by Severus Draconis Potter

4. Chapter 4: What is Trust? by Severus Draconis Potter

5. Chapter 5: Can you Keep a Secret? by Severus Draconis Potter

6. Chapter 6: But I'm not Suicidal...Am I? by Severus Draconis Potter

7. Chapter 7: That's what Friend's are For by Severus Draconis Potter

8. Chapter 8: Where do I belong? by Severus Draconis Potter

9. Chapter 9: Revenge and Betrayal by Severus Draconis Potter

10. Chapter 10: The Truth Shall Set you Free by Severus Draconis Potter

11. Chapter 11: Jealousy by Severus Draconis Potter

12. Chapter 12: Settling In by Severus Draconis Potter

Chapter 1: Happy Place by Severus Draconis Potter

Harry Potter quickly boarded the train with his head hung down, thankful that his hair had grown out a lot in the summer. The 6th year was glad for the temporary reprieve of his mini disguise as he didn't want to bump into anyone at the moment. His hair covered his scar and a tiny bruise on his left cheek.

He walked through the train until he found a empty compartment and pulled the shades down. Locking the door with a complex locking charm, he breathed a sigh of relief. He so didn't want to be found like this. Harry took a breath and watched impassively as his glamours started to fall and and then the tired teen slumped to the floor.

This summer was by far the worse he had ever had. Dumbledore may have thought that he was helping Harry by telling the Durselys that Sirius had died, but they mocked and blamed him about it every chance they got. With the threat of his convicted godfather gone, they had no such qualms about hurting him.

He could feel the blood seeping through his thin t-shirt and and he sighed harshly. It hurt to breathe thanks to his broken ribs, and he had never felt so weak then he did in that current moment. Harry carefully took a seat, being careful not to lean back to hard not wanting to aggravate his wound. He wished he could just close his eyes and never wake up; as he is so tired of fighting this alone.

Honestly he just wished that for once someone would notice that something was wrong and help him. The train ride was silent on the way to school as it was just him and no one else. However it soon passed by quickly and all too soon he felt the train stopping, they were there. He quickly got dressed into his robes and stood up before reapplying his shields.

Harry walked off the train with his head down; oblivious to the stares he is receiving as he took a seat in the carriage with some unknown Hufflepuffs. He could hear them talking about him, wondering he he was but he ignore them. He didn't have the strength to even go there.

As the carriages finally stop he looked up at Hogwarts to see the castle in all of her glory; he is finally home. He steps through the doors with the rest of his peers but finds himself unable to go to the great hall to eat dinner with everyone else. He's not sure he could even stomach food at the moment in time.

At least not the rich food from Hogwarts. But then again, only eating maybe a slice of toast a day would do that to a person. At the moment the only thing on his mind is heading to his dormitory and sleeping off all this pain. He knew that today seems so long because he's in agony.

But once he has a night to sleep it off, and if he manages to knick some potions he knows he will be fine. He's gone through this so many times, it's a wonder he's still sane. With that in mind, he turned away from his classmates, intent on his dormitory.

He finds however that his feet has other plans and soon he is in front of the entrance to the 2nd floor girl's bathroom. The bathroom where Moaning Myrtle haunts and hardly has any visitors due to the ghost's wailing. Harry walks inside and tiredly lays down on the cold ground. He hisses in pain as his glamours fall once more, only this time it is because he is overcome by his exhaustion to keep them up any longer. He cries softly to himself at the excruciating pain from the injures, it's too much for him to bear.

He chokes on his sobs, trying to stop them, but his ribs don't like that, and he has no choice but to cry in earnest. It isn't long before finally cries himself to sleep. The hours pass by and his eyes still remain closed, as his breaths start getting shallower and shallower. His body is succumbing to his injuries and he is still all alone. He is not aware that his body is losing so much blood by bleeding on the inside and out, but he dreams on, he has no worries now. 

In his dream he see his mother with her vibrant red hair, but instead of smiling at him with her identical green eyes she is crying softly. His breath hitches, he doesn't want to see his mother cry. Was he the cause of that? Why isn't she happy that he's here with her? And then he see his Dad and Sirius shake their heads softly as they look at him before they reach out to grab and hug him. He cannot stop the way he feels in that moment, he had never felt so much love then he did there.

"It's too soon, it's not your time," Lily breathed as she looked at her son before she hugged him tight.

His breathing starts getting even more slower, and unbeknownst it to him, someone was watching him and calculating.  Harry struggles to catch his breath, all the while his mind is at peace in his happy dream. Harry's not tired or hurt here, he never wants to leave this place. As he takes what would be his last breath he hears something. 

"Harry stay with me," from a dark and silky voice he had never thought say his name in such a gentle tone. It's all so confusing, and he wonders why.

Severus frantically tries to revive Harry but can't get his pulse. He sends a Patronus to Poppy and Dumbledore to come to them immediately. He berates himself for staying ignorant of Potter's home situation when he himself knew that the child had all the signs. His eyes take in the state of the child's body and his eyes narrowed, he would not fall apart right now.

He had a child to save, he could never live with himself if he didn't try. He had failed Lily and he was not about to fail her child. On the next Enervate his put a lot of his magic into the spell and was rewarded for his efforts when the boy coughs and looks up at him eyes bright, with pain and sadness that he never wanted to see again in those emerald green eyes.

"Why can't I stay with my Mum? I'm loved there and I don't hurt. Please Professor can't I stay?" Harry whimpered out hoarsely, in his haze he's not even aware that he is pleading to Snape of all people.

It broke Severus's long forgotten, cold heart as he heard Harry's cry to stay with his mother but he knew he couldn't leave just yet. The child was still too young, and had a long life ahead of him. Severus shook his head before sighing.

"It's not your time yet Harry, and I'm so sorry but I can't let you leave." He said in a sad voice.

He was sad that this child had to suffer through all this pain, and sad that he couldn't grant the child the wish he so desperately wanted. But what kind of man would he be if he let this child die, when he hadn't even had a chance to live yet? He would fight for this boy, until he himself gained the will to live. He would not fail Lily again.

To be continued...
Chapter 2: Sometimes it's just not Worth it by Severus Draconis Potter

Severus couldn't help but feel like he cheated the child a chance at happiness as he took in the expression on his face, but that can't be helped. Every single teacher at Hogwarts including himself had failed this child; and all because they all saw what they wanted to see. He himself was to blame most of all.

He didn't see the abuse because he was ignoring it. All he saw was a rich spoiled boy who basked in the attention. He kept mistaking Harry for James Potter. Because of the grudge against the boy's father he had been blinded by his hatred. He knew he should have seen it sooner.

And now that child who everyone had seen be so strong has shown them all along that he is still just a child. One who just one who had to grow up way too early, this could have all been prevented. What was Dumbledore thinking letting those monsters raise Lily's child? He himself knew how Petunia was as a child and could guess how Harry was treated by her. He wasn't even referring to the bruises on the child which he knew came from Vernon Dursely himself.

It's a wonder the child didn't break sooner; he guessed the loss of his mutt of a Godfather was just too much. He couldn't stop the guilt that was making his insides churn, here he had made a promise to protect this child and it was all moot. Harry was a great actor and had all of them fooled for 5 years, it's a wonder he wasn't sorted into Slytherin.

Severus snorted at the thought of the Gryffindor golden boy in Slytherin, the press would have a field day. He quickly sobered up when he realized that was probably what took the boy's sorting so long and what that represented. He knew no matter his cover for being a spy might possibly be blown because of this one particular thing.

He couldn't and he wouldn't treat this child like he had been all along, he didn't want to be the one responsible for the child to completely slip over the edge instead of hanging in the balance like he was now. 

Harry drifted in and out of conciousness and he stifled a groan. He couldn't catch a break, he had finally been at a place where people understood him and loved him for being him instead of what he represents; when his stupid Potions Professor had to find him. Just his luck that Snape had to be the one to find him bruised and battered body.

He sighed quietly, and he could swear he could already hear the taunts he would receive from the horrible Slytherins after Snape told them.

The Boy-who-lived who couldn't even defend himself against a mere muggle, Prophecy or not they would never believe that he could defeat Voldemort. Yeah it was better if he could just die, but now he couldn't even do that thanks to Snape.

He had to wonder about the ulterior motive the man had, as he couldn't believe he did it out of care. The man who probably just couldn't wait to throw this in his face as soon as everything died down again. Snape would probably say this was another ploy for attention, the git.

He couldn't stop the thoughts as they flew across his brain on ways where he could end his life the quickest way possible without anyone finding out until it was too late. As he thought about each suggestion he couldn't stop the guilt that rose up in his heart that his mother's sacrifice would have been in vain. Not to mention how much Ron and Hermione and his other friends would mourn for him but he couldn't bring himself to care in that moment. He had seen the life he could have had and would have had if Snape hadn't gotten in the way.

He was persistent and he would make it happen and no one would be able to stop him. Harry was so tired of living his life this way. He felt like he was living a lie and he didn't want to hide who he was. He was tired of living in the shadows of whom he really was and who he portrayed to people. So deep in his thoughts he didn't notice the change in Snape's posture nor his expression that no longer had an air of loathing in it.

Harry was too caught up to see that but for once in his life Snape was feeling concerned for his well being instead of feeling like it was an obligation. Harry listened as the adults talked about him as if he wasn't here, but for once he didn't care. He felt himself being lifted up off the ground by Snape and was then set on a floating stretcher that took him to his least favorite place; the infirmary.

He was then placed on a bed while they listed his new injuries. He listened in morbid fascination as they described in detail what the damage was: 4 broken ribs, 1 broken wrist, a punctured lung (that nearly resulted in his death), along with some internal bleeding, and infected welts on his back and numerous bruises all over his body.

He laid in a catatonic state as they took over and started tending to them. Harry felt his eyes closing of their own accord as he drifted into a surprising calming dream. Madame Pomprey shook him awake to drink some potions to speed up his healing process. He took all of this without a word of his usual grumbling, which put both his Professor and the Medic-Witch on alert. 

The child who was the most vocal about having to stay in the infirmary just stared unseeingly at them. They hadn't failed to notice that he had yet to say a word to anyone since asking Severus to let him go. They gave him some dreamless sleep to ward off his nightmares (at least that's what they told him) and he also took that without a sound.

They watched as the once vibrant green eyes now dull, closed. After dozing him with the dreamless sleep, Poppy scanned him for every injury he ever had. It was easier to do when he was sleeping because they knew he couldn't complain nor deny a thing. But they soon realized that Harry had yet to grimace at the taste of the potions let alone protest at the treatment of healing his body.

It seemed like all the fight in the child had gone, and that didn't bode well for them. They had exchanged a look earlier when they saw his easily able to read face was for once blank. And instead of the bright green eyes of a child full of life, all they saw were the dull green eyes of someone who had seen too much and who had finally had enough.

That expression was so similar to Snape's that it put him on edge to see it in a face so young. In all truth the 16 year old could pass for a small 2nd year when he was indeed a 6th year. Once again Snape could curse himself and his colleagues for not noticing how tiny he was when neither Lily nor James had been small in stature. After making sure that Poppy had everything under control Severus took off. He immediately headed in the direction of the Headmaster's office.

"Lemon Lollies," Severus stated with a grimace. Stepping onto the moving stairs Severus started climbing up. He took a breath to calm himself down before knocking on the door in front of him.

"Enter Severus," Albus answered quietly.

He entered the Headmaster's office and noticed how many of the trinkets that covered his office in the past were gone.  He had heard about Potter's meltdown when Albus told him of the Prophecy directly after the death of his Godfather. The Headmaster was blind to so many emotions when it came to people.Severus didn't think he did it on purpose but he thought the old man could be going a bit senile. 

This was the start of Harry breaking down but once again no one noticed anything out of the ordinary. They all thought it was just an act of being a teenager.  How many other children had slipped through the cracks because they simply weren't paying attention to each student?

How long could each child hold on too? Before he launched on the tirade of how they all neglected to watch out for Lily's child, he observed the worn out expression on Albus's face. Severus had never seen him look this old before and was forcibly reminded of Albus's age.

 "Before you say anything Severus, I know I failed him. I didn't know they treated Harry liked that. Arabella never hinted at seeing any marks ever on his body. All I know is that they made him do a lot of chores when their own child did none. I regret now for never checking on him, this could have been prevented if I had only taken time to visit him." Albus replied gravely.

"I ‘m to blame as well, I have taken my hatred and jealousy out on an innocent child for 5 years. I have belittled and embarrassed him for no reason other than because I felt like he deserved it. I was fighting a fight that started with his father a man he never even got to know. A man whose been dead for 16 years," Severus said regretfully, what had they done?

"I know Severus," Albus replied wearily.

"Do you know what he said to me Albus; when I finally was able to revive him? He asked me why he couldn't stay in a place where he wasn't hated and where they loved him for being just him and not the boy-who-lived. " Severus replied quietly, as he occluded his feelings away.

"My dear boys," Albus replied sorrowfully but Severus wasn't done.

"He wanted me to let him go Albus, a mere child asked me to let him die. Knowing that I am a part of the reason why he hates life, I cannot treat him as I once did. I don't want to be the one that puts him over the edge to destroy himself. I already have his mother's death on my slate; I don't want her son's; no matter how much I despised his father." Severus finished with a sigh as he took a seat. His body sagged, and he had never felt as old as he did in that moment.

"I wouldn't ask that of you Severus, I apologize if I ever gave you the impression that I did. You are in fact going to have to help him come back to himself, for I fear that he has seen the dark side of life and he might be tempted by what he sees." Albus said mournfully.

"You think that there is a chance of Potter going dark?" Severus was horrified at the thought, the last thing he needed was another Dark Lord.

"No; not the dark side as in evil; But the dark side of life. When you saved his life you took away a chance to be with his deceased loved ones. Even if it wasn't his time he won't see it that way. That's probably the best he ever felt. Who's to say he won't attempt to take his own life so he can be with them again?" Albus replied thoughtfully, he could only imagine the type of pain the child was going through.

"He's the Gryffindor golden boy; he would never do anything that selfish." Severus said in disbelief, he refused to believe that Potter would be capable of something like this. The boy he knew(as much as he didn't want to admit) wasn't selfish.

"Of course Severus", the Headmaster said placating him. "Just promise me you'll watch him."

Severus shook his head in annoyance; he was going to do that anyway. "Of course Headmaster, I have to go back and check-in with my snakes," he murmured his thoughts still trying to figure out how quickly things had already changed.

"Goodnight my boy." Albus replied with a sigh.

"Goodnight Headmaster," Severus replied as he walked out the man's office and headed to the dungeons.

As he gave his yearly speech for his first years he decided tomorrow instead of tonight they would visit the infirmary for a check-up. When he dismissed them he was stopped by Draco Malfoy who insisted on speaking with him. Truth is; all Severus wanted to do was check on Potter, get a drink, and go to bed.

This had been an emotional and stressful day; that had crushed his beliefs about one of his student's home life into non-existent. But since he was a Head of house he had a responsibility to the students and he didn't want to fail another. So he walked into his office with Draco behind him. He put up the privacy spells and waited for him to start speaking.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry stifled a scream, lest he wake up Uncle Vernon again. As he waited for his heart to still, he smelled the familiar smell of antiseptic and remembered that he was in the infirmary at Hogwarts. They had given him dreamless sleep unaware that it tended to lock him in his dreams instead of giving him none.

He looked at the clock to see it read 2:48am; he sighed as he was now unable to get back to sleep. He sat there thinking unpleasant thoughts until about 4:30am where he once again dozed off. When he awoke again it was to Madame Pompfrey bringing him breakfast and an assortment of potions to take. 

Harry ate almost half of it when he felt like he would throw it all it back up so he stopped.  He took off his glasses to lay back down when he noticed a man in black walking toward him. He felt his heart stop then pick backed up over time; and it suddenly became hard to breath.

For a second he thought it was Uncle Vernon and he was thrown back into Privet Drive. He couldn't catch his breath, he felt like he was drowning on air and things started to blur in front of him. He was so scared that he screamed when he felt the man touch his shoulder and nearly fell off the bed in an attempt to get away but the man held tight.

He heard the man's soft silky voice and a vial at his lips while he told him to drink; it was a calming potion. He knew immediately who it was once the figure started talking. Harry was so embarrassed, he hadn't had a panic attack in front of someone since he was 11, and now he just had one in front of Snape of all people.

Why do these things keep happening in his presence, he hated that he was unfortunately giving him more information he could use to hurt him with.

Harry shuddered at the things Snape could blackmail him into doing, and he was extremely grateful for the calming draught already in his stomach. He could see Snape looking at him but his eyes remain firmly on his blankets unable and unwilling to look him in the eyes.

Severus stared at the meek child with his eyes on the floor in front of him. What had those damn muggles done to him? What happened to the defiant teenager with that spark in his emerald eyes? Why had he suddenly been replaced him with this scared, timid child afraid to give eye contact?

Severus knew only Albus could stop him from making a trip to Surrey to the muggles. And by the time he got through with them, they would be begging they got prison. What kind of monsters would do this to child for merely existing? He stopped his musings so he could question the boy, hoping that the calming potion stayed in effect the entire conversation.

"Potter, do you want to tell me how you got your injuries?" Severus asked quietly, not really expecting an answer but a shake of the head would do. But he didn't even get that, and he sighed. This was usually the hardest part for abused children to deal with, talking about the abuse they had long guarded. It unhinged them, he understood why after all he had been there.

"Potter, you have to talk to about this some time. I know it hurts and it's unpleasant, but you must do it ok?" Severus said trying again, trying not to let his irritation show at being ignored. It was hard to control his emotions around this particular child, especially when the boy blatantly was ignoring him.

"Potter, answer me dammit! I saved your life boy. The least you could be doing is thanking me by talking to me!" He said in a dangerous voice that bordered on yelling. He regretted the words the instant they came out, but he could not take them back.

Severus knew the minute the child flinched at the tone and level of his voice he knew he had made a grave mistake. The reaction he was hoping to get was an attitude remark laced with rebellion that he usually got when he dealt with Potter but he should have known given their current situation that it wasn't to be. In the saddest voice he had ever heard; Potter replied in a hoarse voice.

"I never asked you to save me, matter fact I asked you to let me stay. But for some sick joke you brought me back from the brink of death and I hate you for it.  I want to be with my family instead of suffering here for people who turn on me in a drop of a hat if something goes wrong." Harry replied softly.

"I'm sorry Harry that you felt that I took that chance away from you but I don't regret doing it, not now nor will I ever. It wasn't your time to go yet." Severus explained gently.

"It sure felt like it, I had never felt so much love towards me before. I'm tired of being the boy-who-lived, why couldn't I just bloody die like normal people? I'm just so tired of being that image, I just want to be me, the one I kept hidden from the world, the real me. But the wizarding world isn't ready for that." Harry replied with a frown. Didn't the man get it? Why couldn't he see?

"I won't apologize for saving your life Potter, but I do see your point. Either way if I had a chance to do it over I would still save you. You're parents died for you; Lily gave up her life for yours. Do you really want her sacrifice to be in vain?" Severus asked, his dark gaze piercing as he stared into the emeralds one.

"I just want a choice in my life is all," Harry replied with a sigh.

Severus nodded, pocketing what the boy said for later. He had something much more important to discuss with him. This was the first step in allowing the boy to heal, plus the more evidence they had against the muggles the better.

"So can you tell me about the Durselys?" Severus asked casually as he took a seat.

"How come you want to know so badly? Are you going to use my answers in anyway against me in the future?" Harry asked skeptically.

"No! Why...how could you think that?" Severus asked in disbelief.

"Because up until yesterday you hated my guts and would use this to taunt me." Harry pointed out with a shrug.

"You have my word; I would never use anything I learned about your home life against you." Severus said firmly, to show the boy he meant it.

"Can you swear it? Like an oath?" Harry asked after a moment, if the man couldn't swear it then he couldn't trust him.          

Severus shook his head as he heard the request. What type of child was so afraid that everyone is going to hurt him that he is afraid to trust, lest he get hurt? It saddened him to think on it, especially the fact that Lily's child was the one who was hurt. He sighed though, because sadly he had been there.

"I Severus Snape do swear on my magic that I will never use the information that Harry Potter tells me about his home life to hurt him in anyway. So mote it be," Severus stated.

Harry watched as the bright light of Snape's magic surround his Professor as he bounded the oath. There really was no going back now was it? He wondered how much Snape wanted to know about the Durselys. He guessed that he did owe the man by telling him the story since he had saved his life, even if it was unwarranted. There was a period of silence as they each gathered their thoughts together.

"So what did you want to know?" Harry couldn't help but ask.

"All of it", was Snape's casual answer.

"You have to be a bit simpler than that," Harry said trying to stall.

"When did the Abuse start?" Severus asked bluntly.

To be continued...
Chapter 3: When in Doubt Deny Everything by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Uploading to this site is a pain...it wont let me upload the whole chapter like it's supposed to and I have to copy and paste and everything is just messed up. But what can you do? Anyway, Kudos to those who had remembered this story it's my baby and I really glad I rewrote this, it's so much better.

"Abuse? They don't abuse me sir." Harry said in confusion, his heart however was pounding. Why did the man have to be so blunt with it? His survival instincts had kicked in and he knew that unless he deny, deny, deny he would be in serious trouble when his Uncle found out.

"Potter, please do not insult my intelligence by blatantly lying to me when the evidence is clearly on display for the world to see." Severus drawled out.

Severus couldn't stop the eyebrows that went up on his own accord at the lie that Potter just spouted. He had almost forgotten that denial was a given when it came to getting children to speak out about their home life to protect themselves. This might take a while, but he would stay here for as long as it took.

"Then pray tell me how you received your injuries Potter?" Severus asked in a tone that told the child he was simply humoring him.

"Of course sir, I was riding my bike down this huge hill, hit a pebble and flew off it. I was lucky that I had my helmet on because my body crashed into a tree and man did it hurt," He replied seriously.

Harry had said that with wide innocent eyes and such an innocent voice that Severus could almost believe him for a second until he remembered the hand-printed colored bruises on the child's arms and pointed it out.

"Okay... but can you explain those hand-shaped bruises on both of your arms?" Severus asked with a quirk of his eyebrow, wondering how the boy was planning on lying his way out of this one.

"Oh that? My friend Rick was pulling me to walk faster, but he gripped me a little too hard, hence the bruises. No matter, all is forgiven," Harry replied with a sheepish look on his face.

Severus couldn't believe it, since when was Potter such a good liar? His answers were exactly on point. He was very tempted at that point to legitimize the child but he knew that for one Albus would kill him. Not to mention this small share of camaraderie that they were showing would officially end.

Severus decided to try another tactic that usually worked without fail on his Slytherins. Guilt coupled with disappointment; it was harsh but then again he wasn't the Slytherin Head of house for nothing.

"I don't understand why you're lying to me Harry and why you are defending them. You are betraying yourself because you'll just have to go back to the Durselys unless the truth comes out." Severus said with a depressed voice as if he was giving up on the child.

Severus of course was lying as well; Harry was not going back to the muggles no matter what happened. But at the moment the boy didn't know that yet. He could see the boy's eyes widen again only this time he saw traces of fear and uncertainty in them. He continued, knowing that as much as it paned him he needed to break that.

"I'm very disappointed in you Harry, I can admit when I'm wrong, and I would have thought that a Gryffindor like yourself could too. I guess I was wrong about you," Severus said with a shake of his head before pushing back his chair as if he was about to get up and leave.

Throughout his speech Severus watched as Harry's carefully constructed blank mask started to crumble down. He knew the use of his given name coming from him would be his breaking point. Severus was completely blown away by the words starting to come out of the boy's mouth however.

"Fine," Harry replied in a weary voice that didn't fit him. "Since you really want to know, then I'll tell you. I'm a worthless freak, a burden to all the normal people, and a huge waste of space." Harry said matter-factly, as if he truly believed it.

Severus was appalled, how dare those muggles tell Lily's child that. He struggled to calm his temper and before Harry's eyes, drunk a calming draught like he had just given the child. It wouldn't do for Severus to get angry and accidentally frighten the child. He motioned for him to continue on with the story.

"They didn't like me because I did magic, and I didn't even know that I was a wizard until Hagrid came to get me. They made me do chores so I could earn my keep." Harry replied as his gaze took a faraway look on it as the memories came forth.

"What kind of chores Harry?" Severus asked, now unintentionally calling him by his first name.

"Stuff like, gardening, cooking, and cleaning the house and their rooms. I did dusting, washing clothes, the windows and doing the lawn. Stuff like that." Harry replied as he ticked each chore off with his fingers.

"How old were you when this all started?" Severus asked in horror, this was a far cry then what he had originally thought.

"I was 5, I remember making eggs and crying because I slipped and burnt my hand on the stove," Harry murmured with a sigh.

"They had you working like a house elf with no pay, and they were given 700 pounds a month for keeping you. That is why I assumed you were spoiled," Severus replied with a shake of his head.Those bastards, how dare they?

Severus could see the child literally start to come apart at the seams before his very eyes. Before he could even think of comforting him he watched as Potter visibly straightened up and put his face in a neutral expression and he longed to know once again what the child was thinking of.

Harry couldn't believe it, all their talk of them taking him in out of the goodness of their hearts was all for naught when they were getting paid to keep him; those jerks. He could now understand why Voldemort hated muggles, he would never join the dark side but he was a bit sympathetic to the cause now. He felt a little ashamed and ill at the thought of understanding his parent's murderer.

"I got all of Dudley's old clothes, and I wasn't allowed to have a bedroom so I slept in my cup... I mean somewhere else." Harry said faltering on the words.

Harry couldn't bring himself to talk about the cupboard and what it represented, nor could he bring himself to talk about Uncle Vernon's punishments, even if the evidence was clear as day.

Severus knew that Harry was holding something back but let it go for now. The boy had already acknowledged said abuse, so he decided to stop the questioning for now. Severus decided to leave him at this time to prepare for classes.

Harry was glad that Snape was leaving; he could finally let his masks down. He struggled to control the tears in his eyes that threatened to fall down his cheeks. He couldn't believe they were getting money for him and still treated him like dirt. Harry closed the curtains around his bed; he didn't want someone to come in and see him on the verge of breaking down.He was just so hurt, and he just wished he could have something to take away the pain. He felt like the hurt was tearing his insides apart. 

Once again the thought of ending his life started to come back into play. He didn't want to think about what he couldn't have at the moment. But he was drowning in all his emotional grief and he couldn't think about anything else. He reached towards the dresser for a glass a water to swallow the lump in his throat when his arm got caught in between the dresser and bed. When pulled it back up there was a long gash with blood dribbling off where the desk had cut his arm.

So focused on the physical pain, his emotional hurt was almost non-existent. He had found a way to keep his emotions at bay until he could end it all. He conjured up a razor and proceeded to decorate his arm in many slashes. He breathed in a sigh of relief at every cut he made. He quickly finished and put a glamour on his arm in parseltongue to hide the evidence.

It wouldn't do to give them another reason to doubt his sanity, or to keep an eye on him. He was just so tired, never stopping to think the loss of blood had aided in that. He closed his eyes to try to sleep and once again fell into a peaceful sleep where he dreamed of being with his parents. He smiled to himself knowing he would be with them soon.

Severus herded the first years to the infirmary for his and Poppy's annual check-up on the new Slytherins. They usually found at least 5 children a year with questionable injuries. Just once in his teaching career would he like one year where there was no children abused by their guardians. As they were being examined he looked over and saw that the curtains around Harry's bed were drawn.

As Poppy took care of his first years, he walked over and peeked through the curtains and saw that Harry was sleeping contently with a peaceful expression on his face. He put a modified silencing charm around his bed that would notify Poppy if he woke up but kept the sounds from inside the infirmary away from him. Satisfied that the child wouldn't wake up he turned back to his snakes.

Severus was at a standstill about how to treat Harry, he knew that due to the nature of his current role in the war he couldn't afford to treat him nice in front of the students or teachers, least the death eater children report back to their parent, and have his cover nearly blown. But at the same time he couldn't treat him like he did before.

What kind of message would he be sending to the poor child; confess your fears and I'll exploit you later? Right, that would definitely be telling the child how much he was worth, nothing in his eyes. He absolutely refused to do that. Maybe he could speak to Harry in private about it. He was confused about his protective feelings he was getting for the child of his enemy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next day had Severus walking into the infirmary where he heard Granger and Weasley trying to get passed the tyrant known as Madame Pompfrey who was telling them quite forcibly about not being able to visit Harry in the bed. Where were they when all this was happening? Severus thought to himself? Some friends right? He would have to talk to Granger and Weasley when he had a chance.
He heard Harry's blank tone reply in accordance to Poppy's words and Severus had to wonder to himself if Potter had ever sounded like that before. It was a disturbing tone, one that you would never want to hear in a child voice; it was dead and full of resignation.

The next morning when Harry woke up he was refreshed and in a good mood until he heard Ron and Hermione's voices. He didn't want to deal with them today. Now they want to know what was happening after the fact that it happened. Where were they when he needed them? Aware of how his voice sounded he replied that he was to tired and didn't want any visitors because he was going back to sleep.

After they left, Harry wasn't feeling the least bit guilty about lying to his friends. He then went into the bathroom to shower. As he showered he let his glamour's fall, and was almost in a trance by the way the scars looked on his arms, he loved it. He finished with his shower and put his now long hair back into a pony tail and walked out to see Snape sitting in a chair by his bed. Wondering what the heck he was doing here, he casually walked back to his bed and sat down.

Severus was once again angry at how no one seemed to realize how this child was treated. The clothes that he had on were new courtesy, of Severus who had gone out and bought for the child once he had seen the rags in the boy's trunk. Because the knew clothes fit him, they could see just how thin the child was.

He would need to take nutrient potions for a while to help him long; although he would never be as tall as his year mates he wouldn't stay the size he was now. Severus shook his head, that wasn't what he was here today for. He was to finish talking about his home life. He put his hand over his eyes sighed and started the painful conversations.

"Good Morning Mr. Potter," Severus stated conversationally.

"Good Morning Sir," Harry replied in a soft voice

"How are you feeling today?" Severus asked genuinely curious on how the boy was doing.

"I'm fine sir," Harry answered carefully, still confused on why the man was here.

"Well the reason I'm here is because we are going to finish the conversation we started yesterday about the Durselys. Now how did you acquire those injuries on your body that led to you being in the infirmary?" Severus ask professionally, he was trying to make this as quick as possible.

"It was my going away gift, since they have no control over me for going to the freaky school every year." Harry replied tiredly, knowing there was no point to deny. Snape had taken the vow there was no way to evade this. He ignored the part of him, that seemed relieved that he was finally sharing the truth with someone.

"What did he say to you?" Severus asked quietly, knowing that with physical abuse verbal was never far away.

"That I deserve this punishment and that if anyone cared they would have put a stop to this long ago," Harry mumbled out. And honestly he had to agree with his Uncle about that part at least. No one cared, and this all went unnoticed until the man went too fair.

"You do know that is not true right?" No child deserves to be treated like that," Severus told him tightly. "And we care, even if we don't always show it. I'm just sorry it took us so long to see," he admitted quietly.

"Sure..." Harry replied with a shrug. It was kinda hard to believe, especially if you were told this your entire life. He had load of time to think on it, if it wasn't true why would his relatives constantly say it to him? He convinced himself rather quickly that his teacher was lying to him.

It hurt Severus's soul for that child to believe that his self-worth was that low. To think that you're a freak just because you can do magic, when you were born that way! It was just jealousy that fueled the hatred which turned into abuse. If only they had known! He could now understand why he didn't tell anyone. The poor child didn't believe he deserved kindness.

"We'll work on that Harry." You are worth something; your life has a purpose in this world." Severus said steadily, he would get the boy to believe his words in time.

"Yeah of course it does. I'm the goddamn savior of the wizarding world" Harry replied bitterly.

"What? No that is not what I meant, you don't have to save the world Harry," Severus said with a frown. What made the boy think he did?

"I do, Dumbledore said so, besides there is that stupid prophecy..." Harry rushed out, before shutting his mouth at the look Snape was now giving the wall.

"I know about that, you are just a child; and you do NOT have to save us. There are plenty of witches and wizards more powerful then you who are capable of dealing the Dark Lord. Prophecies are just that, you took divination, that's not what makes them true." Severus stated, angry at how Albus had told the boy the prophecy. It was a wonder the child was still on the light side, it goes to show just how strong the child really was.

"Okay," Harry replied wanting the man to stop lecturing him. "Do you know when I'll be able to get out of the infirmary sir?" He said trying to change the subject.

Severus wanted to know what happened to the brat who would rather serve a detention then give him the respect and call him sir, The boy had been calling him that at nearly every sentence.

"Not for a while Mr. Potter, Poppy found out that you've broken your wrist numerous times in the past. Which wouldn't be a problem only due to it healing incorrectly it's going to take about a week to fully fix it so you won't have any problems in the future with it." Severus told him with a sigh.

"Oh a week huh?" Harry sighed softly; he wouldn't be able to put his plan into action if he was stuck in the infirmary.

"The Headmaster has given you the choice of staying here or staying with me. Which do you prefer?" Severus asked though he was pretty sure the boy was going to choose the infirmary.

Harry smiled inwardly, this was almost too easy. He could 'take care' of himself when Snape went to teach his classes. Harry knew that he would have to take into account that man might check on him during break and he didn't want to set his plan only to have Snape foil it. He knew if the man did he would place various alarm and trackers on him to alert him if Harry attempted it again.

It was a perfect plan; He just only hoped that Snape wouldn't be sad that Harry had killed himself, since he worked so hard to save him the first time. Harry shook his head, what the hell was he talking about? Snape hated his guts. But he couldn't help thinking back on why did Snape comfort him when he was having a panic attack? Or talk about the Durselys when no one else did? Why did he seem care about him now when he never did before?

Harry was confused for the moment before he reasoned out that Dumbledore had probably told Snape to be nice to Harry. In retrospect that sucked if he was being honest, but that was his life. No one else could care for him without the Headmaster prompting them first? How pathetic was that? He was too much trouble and not worth it. Even his so-called family thought so; just a freak incapable of being loved. Yes this was the best thing to do. Madame Pompfrey would constantly have an eye on him and he would never be able to escape.

"I'd rather stay with you sir, Madame Pompfrey would treat me like an invalid, but you wouldn't. You'll treat me how I deserve." Harry said matter factually.

Severus pondered on Harry's words; did the child honestly think that he would still treat him like he did after discovering his horrid home life? From the look on Potter's face he obviously did.

"Well let's go while classes are still in session then," Severus murmured wanting to move the boy before anyone could see him with him.

It wasn't that he was ashamed of him, no it was simply that he did not to dawn the Slytherin head of house mask. He still hadn't figured out just what he planned to do with the child in question. Whatever he did, he knew that he had to be careful, not matter what.

He could see that Albus was right, and the world of Harry Potter he knew that the child was far from being okay. He knew that the child staying with him was for the best, but he couldn't help wondering was their ulterior motive for this. That thought alone would keep him on his toes, he knew.

To be continued...
Chapter 4: What is Trust? by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Gosh it's tiresome to go through everthing to space it an all when the editor messes up..Also dismayed at the reviews epescially when you see the views. But oh well, I thank those who did review this is the only reason it's up here tonight.

*Parsel-Tongue*

Flashbacks, or just memories 

To say the Potion's Master was shocked that Harry had chosen to live with him; the greasy git of the dungeons was an understatement. The teen could see the puzzlement on the normally expressionless face at his answer before it was blanked away. Harry couldn't help but feel a tad guilty about deceiving him, but it was his only chance to be happy.

He figured that he would go to the Owlery and say goodbye to Hedwig before heading down into the Chamber of Secrets where he would then slit his wrists and drink a dreamless sleep potion. It was in his opinion a fool proof way to die; unless he somehow beat the odds and survived again.

That would suck and if that way failed he was just going to surrender himself to Voldemort. He followed his teacher further in the dungeons, amazed at deep they went as this was the furthest he had ever been in. He jerked to a stop as the man stood in front of a portrait of Salazar Slytherin with a snake around his stomach.

"Do you ssssmell that Ssssalazar? The young one there hassss been hurt quite extenssssively and not jusssst on the outsssside either. He'ssss drowning in grief. We are going to have to watch out for thisssss one, lest he doesss ssssomething sssstupid," the snake hissed out.

"For the record I'm sssstanding right here and I can undersssstand every ssssingle word you're sssaying. Pleasssse don't talk about me assss if I'm not here. Harry replied, obviously annoyed that they were talking about him as if he wasn't here.

Apologiessss young sssspeaker, that old ssssnake there is Ssssslither and he didn't mean any harm. He didn't know that you could sssspeak the language of the ssssnakesss, not many can. Come back and talk with me young one it'ssss been a while ssssince I've sssspoken with another sssspeaker, and Sssssseverusss lookssss more annoyed than usssual.

"Salazar, do you think you could let us in sometime today?" Severus drawled out.

"Apologies Severus I just got excited for speaking with a fellow speaker. What's the password?" The portrait requested.

"Lily Flower," Severus pronounced carefully so Harry would be able to catch it. Hopefully the boy would use his common sense and not ask why his password was such.

 They walked into the Potion Master's quarters, and the man was startled to say the least when the boy started hissing at the portrait. He wasn't used to hearing those sounds without feeling a sense of dread in fear in his stomach.

The child's eyes were wide as he took in Severus's quarters. They were very homey and Harry loved the color blue around the living room. He would have thought that Snape being the Slytherin Head of House would have green throughout his flat but he was wrong.

Severus showed Harry to his room and told him to go lie down and rest for a few hours and he would be in his lab. He warned him not to go searching through his things, as he had an urgent potion that he needed to tend too. He didn't think about much only on his brewing potion and also didn't fully realize that he had failed to give the boy a proper tour of his quarters. He should have though.

Harry watched Snape walk off to his lab, not wanting to get into trouble with the man so soon after all that he did. Even though he hadn't done anything but slept that morning, he was feeling quite tired from the walk down here. He huffed, as he was unused to feeling this week, especially when it wasn't any ailing injuries that were the cause of it.

As far as he was concerned he was fully healed, even if the open welts on his back spoke otherwise. At the moment they weren't stinging so for the time being he would pretend that he was just a normal boy.

With that thought he yawned before carefully allowing himself down on the inviting bed. He gasped softly in surprise as the soft dark brown comforter seemed to mold with his body; and couldn't remember when he had laid in a bed this comfortable. Pulling the elastic loose from his hair he shook it out and promptly fell asleep.

He managed to sleep about 4 hours of dreamless sleep, even though he had taken no potion. And when he woke up again around 3pm, he was very much content. This bed did wonders, he sat up and stretched and took a proper look around the room. It had a desk, a wardrobe, a dresser and in the corner of the room it looked to be a toy chest.

Since when did Snape have a kid? Shaking his head he made his way to the doorway and poked his head outside of it. He was dismayed to find that Snape seemed to still be in his lab. That wouldn't be a problem as he liked the fact that the man didn't hover over him.

However he had gotten no tour so how was he to know which room was the toilet? He huffed to himself, knowing that he could just go to each door and open it and see but he knew that was an insane plan if he every heard one. With his horrible luck Snape would come out of his lab just as he would be opening his bedroom door and he shuddered not liking the outcome of that. Behind closed doors anything could happen, he knew that first hand.

He turned back into his room and shut the door, trying to look around for something that he could use as he had no intention of wetting himself. Oh yeah he could see Snape telling his Slytherins that particular detail. At the thought of the snakes Harry got a weird feeling in his stomach, knowing he had forgotten to do something but he wasn't sure just what it was. His mind was still fuzzy, and he blamed the blow to the head from his Uncle and all the potions in his system.

Brushing it off for the moment as he had more important things to do, he went back to looking for some type of bottle, or in Snape's case a cauldron. After 15 minutes of fruitless searching he had to admit that he was starting to run into some kind of trouble with his bladder. Didn't anyone realize that potions were liquid and clearly could go throw someone fairly quickly.

"Snape!" He called out his urgent need getting the better of him. He held his breath as he tried to hear if the man had heard him.

He was of two minds at the moment, he wanted the man to hear him but at the same time he didn't. Sadly though as he didn't hear any footsteps he figured the Potion's Master didn't hear him. Harry stood up by the bed not wanting to mess it up in case he wasn't able to hold it.

He was starting to think realistically and he didn't like his chances the way things were going now. As he started to think that the stupid man wouldn't ever come for him, he felt to his horror the memories coming forth that he had been trying hard to suppress.

In his cupboard having been locked in all day because he had turned his teacher's hair blue with no knowledge how he had done. What a freak...Begging...for them to let him out...He needed the toilet. His horror....as he realized he had wet himself...and then laughter from Dudley and then Aunt Petunia sneering at him...and then his Uncle's angry face..he knew what that expression meant.

Harry wasn't totally aware of what was going on around him, and it didn't really matter as he rode the memory out. He currently had his arms up, as if to protect himself from the blows. In his memory they hadn't been much help, but he couldn't stand there and just accept it.

It didn't last as long as some of them usually did, but when he came back to himself he was panting heavily. It was as if he just got done running at Quidditch practice, and to his embarrassment he could feel that his brand new jeans were warm and wet. Great, he had pissed himself.

It was during that small moment of self disgust when Snape finally came through the door of his room. He stared at the man enraged, this was just his luck. And while a part of him was terrified of what the man would do to him, he was also pissed the fuck off.

How dare he? This was just too perfect of a timing and his eyes narrowed at the implications of that though. He didn't even have his wand come to think of it so he couldn't even spell himself clean. This was a set up, he knew it.

"You bastard," Harry hissed out furiously, watching with a sort of grim amusement as the eyebrows of the man disappeared in his hairline.

"Excuse me?" Severus said in a dangerous tone, as he looked at the child.

He wasn't blind, he could see the wet pants and he winced as an afterthought. He knew he had been forgetting something but everything always took a backseat when it came to his potions. And this was the price to pay for his forgetfulness. Whatever bit of trust the child may have had with him, was suddenly gone he knew.

"You heard me. I know you heard me calling you. I bet you're just loving this, one more up on James Potter. News flash Snape, he's dead. You prick," Harry ranted at his teacher, his common sense was gone and had flown right out the window; along with his sanity.

Severus clenched his jaw, it wouldn't do any good for him to say anything out of anger, Harry was clearly doing that enough for both of them. He couldn't honestly blame the child if he was being honest, but he truly had forgotten.

Harry scoffed at the man, but inwardly he was embarrassed beyond belief. Not to mention on edge, Snape had yet to say anything. Any other time and he knew he would have gotten hit with loss of point and a week of detention at the least.

"I'm not sure if you believe Mr. Potter, but it was not my intention for you...for me to find you in this state. I must apologize as I realized I neglected to show you around my quarters," Severus stated carefully, enunciating each word slowly as he breathed out calmly.

He had gotten his anger under control, and had even thrown an apology in there. Mainly because he knew he had been at fault, and he was seriously still worried about the child being pushed over the edge.

Harry stared at his teacher impassively for a moment, unable to believe his ears. Had he just heard correctly? Snape hadn't risen to the taunt of his father, nor had he belittled him. In fact he had apologized to him. What the hell was going on? He rolled his shoulders, unable to relax even a fraction. This was unfamiliar territory to him and he didn't like it.

When it became obvious that the child in question wasn't going to reply Severus pulled out his wand. "Would you like me to spell you clean?"

Harry lips took on a pinched look as he nodded curtly to the man. "Where's my wand?" He asked tightly.

"I have it, and no I didn't break it nor am I planning to keep it," Severus told him as he spelled the child and the floor below him clean.

"When can I get it?" Harry asked in a controlled voice.

Severus stared at the boy, he didn't like the tone of the child. His tone spoke violence but his posture screamed fear. It was disconcerting to say the least. "When I deem you fit to get it," he said slowly.

Harry swallowed his retort at that, but he was seething with rage. He made himself calm down when he felt something shaking to the left of him. He knew it was his magic and he balled his hands into fists allowing his finger nails to pierce his palm so he could calm down. It worked surprisingly as he narrowed his eyes at the man, who seemed to be calculating something.

"What?" Harry stated rudely, well the man was staring at him.

"Why didn't you, come knock on my lab door if you were in such an urgent need?" Severus asked plainly, he was occluding as the child was really working his last nerves.

But he knew he couldn't snap at him, that was not the way to go. He was watching the boy's facial expressions rather closely and was finally rewarded when he saw the anger leave at his question. He didn't like the change however; as sadness and a shame seemed to erase the anger.

"I wasn't sure if that would be okay," Harry admitted quietly.

"Why wouldn't that be okay?" Severus questioned.

"Because at the Durselys it never was, all right!" He rushed out before rolling his eyes, and turning away from the man.

His anger was gone in that moment, having deflated him like a balloon. He didn't want to tell the man how worthless they constantly they made him feel, and that years of hearing it he now knew it to be true. He didn't want his teacher to see what a freak he was.

"Don't close yourself off from me Potter. They were wrong, none of what they told you were right at all. Do you hear me?" Severus said through his suddenly clenched teeth.

How dare those monsters treat Lily's child as such. What other horrors had he gone through?

"I hear you Snape," Harry choked out but 16 years of abuse wasn't just going to go away in one day. He heard the man, but he didn't really hear his words.

"Now tell me. Why wasn't it okay to knock on the door?" Severus demanded in a quiet voice.

"At the Durselys I was always told that since I was a freak, I didn't have rights. And that I was only allowed to use the toilet, shower, stuff like that, if they felt like letting me out." Harry admitted with shame clearly on his face. Though he had to admit that once he had confessed that, he strangely felt a bit lighter.

"Let you out of what?" Severus asked dread in his tone. He could vaguely remember Minerva ranting at him about Potter's letter being address to a cupboard, but he had sneered at her until she left. But now, he started to wonder just what the hell had really been going on in that house.

"Dudley's second bedroom, it had about 1 dozen locks on door with bars on the windows. They 'gave' it to me after I got my first letter to Hogwarts," Harry said a small smile gracing his face as he remembered the feeling of finally getting away from them.

"Where were you before?" Severus asked carefully.

"Somewhere else," Harry said smoothly but he wasn't about to explain the cupboard. Besides the look on Snape's face was starting to scare him slightly, the expression was a knowing one and he didn't like it.

"So you didn't come to my lab because you thought you weren't allowed too?" Severus asked, getting back at the question at hand when it became clear that the boy wasn't going to give him a whole answer about where he had been sleeping before he got this room.

Currently he was trying to understand the child's logic and why he didn't seek him out. They weren't at the Durselys now, so those rules shouldn't even apply.

"Yes sir, I don't know your rules for your living quarters. And I didn't want to get into trouble, if they are anything like your rules in class," Harry replied glad they were back on almost steady ground, conversation wise. This he could answer, without sounding like a liar at least.

Severus was across from him having an internal battle in his mind. Merlin save him from this mess. What was going through this child's head? He knew that he needed to address this new situation with Potter. How had he ever claimed to know this child for 5 years? He was an enigma if he ever saw one and he didn't like it.

"Harry, we are at school are we not?" The Potion Master asked, trying another tactic at this point.

"Yes Sir, we are," Harry replied confusion evident in his tone. He was unsure of the changed subject, what was going on? And just why was Snape calling him by his first name?

"And has a teacher here ever denied you the right to use the toilet here?" Severus asked him honestly.

"I don't know sir, I've never asked. Anytime I've had to go I just held it in and waited until the class was over." Harry told him honestly.

He had learned in primary school to do that, because the Durselys had told everyone that he was the resident trouble maker. The teachers never gave him a chance, except one but he wasn't going to think about her at the moment.

He was never allowed to be excused from class to go to the toilet, and he just kept the habit. Besides if he was being honest, he wouldn't put it pass Snape to deny him, well before probably but he knew not now.

"What about during the exams?" Severus pushed, he was trying to prove a point here, but he didn't seem to be getting anywhere.

"I usually go beforehand," was the teen's answer as he took a seat on the bed. This was turning out to be a long conversation and he was tired of standing.

Severus was getting frustrated this didn't sound like the child he knew. This boy clearly thought ahead, maybe that Gryffindor impulse wasn't at the front part of his brain like he thought. He pulled the chair from the desk and took a seat as he gathered his thoughts together.

He couldn't help but to think what else this child had hid from them all. He was beginning to think that Harry Potter had been sorted wrong. The characteristics the child was currently displaying screamed of Slytherin.

"I'm beginning to think the sorting hat put you in the wrong house." Severus stated quietly, he wasn't trying to get a reaction out of the boy. This time he was just stating a fact.

"That's because it did," Harry replied with a sly smirk.

"Are you going to explain any of that?" Severus asked softly, not wanting to let on that he was dying to know.

"It wanted to put me into Slytherin, it still does in fact. Only I didn't let it because my 1st friends which were Ron and Hagrid told me that all Slytherins were dark. So I begged it to put me in Gryffindor. It kept saying I would be great, and Slytherin would help me on the way. I was young and naïve and I didn't listen to it. There isn't a day that goes by that I wish I hadn't chosen Gryffindor," Harry explained, and by the end of it his voice had taken on a slight wistful tone.

"Dumbledore was right," Severus murmured with a shake of his head. "A Potter in Slytherin," he sighed out.

"Yep, you would have seen early on that I wasn't spoiled. You would have seen the real me first, just because I would have been one of your snakes. Slytherins take care of their own," Harry quoted out, but there was no bitterness in his voice, only truth.

"How do you know our motto?" Severus asked quietly, as he turned to truly look at the boy across from him.

Harry shook his head at the question, he wasn't about to answer that. Snape wouldn't believe him anyway and he didn't want to open that can of worms.

"Alright fine, we'll come back to this another time as we need to get back to the situation at hand," Severus relented when it became clear the child had become tight-lipped.

He also needed some time to digest this new information he had been given. One thing that kept coming back to him was the Slytherin motto, that was only said in their common room, how had Potter known?

"What situation?" Harry asked with a sigh, he was tired of talking now.

"That using the toilet is your right. Once again the Durselys are wrong, you never have to hold it here or ask to use it. The bathroom is actually down the hall and to your left. You may use it whenever you wish too, the same goes for the shower," Severus informed him.

"Thanks I will remember that. Are we finished now?" Harry couldn't help but ask.

Severus he could hear the tiredness in the boy's voice but this needed to be done. Not to mention people, children in particular tended to share more when they were tired.

"Almost, just a few more things and then we'll be done. Why you didn't tell anyone about your home life?" Severus murmured out.

Harry sighed before answering but he had known this one was coming. "What good would it have done? I hinted to the Headmaster every year and all he replied was ‘it's for your own good' before he sent me back. I didn't want to have to bare my soul just to have it shoved back into my face. People only see what they want to see, you know that better then anyone. If you go back and look at your memories, and actually take a good look at me. you'll see the signs are there. I was just ignored because I'm the boy-who-lived. And besides whom would I have told anyway?" Harry said giving the man a pointed look. He couldn't have gone to Snape for obvious reasons.

"You're Head of House of course," Severus said his tone carrying the sarcastic one that he used when someone asked a stupid question.

"Right my head of house. I learned first year that McGonagall didn't care about me unless it had to do with Quidditch," Harry scoffed.

"That's not true Harry she cares about your, more then you will ever know," Severus told him sincerely.

"Oh isn't it? 1st year the night Quirrel tried to steal the Stone, we told her first but she refused to listen to us just because we were children. Hence why we had to go down there ourselves. I was nearly killed," Harry muttered out bitterness, layering his tone.

"Minerva made a mistake Harry, She's only human. Plus I'm sure she regrets it," the dark haired man replied honestly. He knew from experience that Minerva had regretted not listening but you couldn't go back, you could only move forward and learn from it.

"Really? What about Umbridge's Detentions? She told me to just keep my head down when I tried to tell her what the toad was making me do. That showed me that she didn't give a damn about me. So I'm done with her, Head of House or not," Harry said crossing his arms on one another as he unconsciously hid his hand.

"What happened in the toad's detention?" Severus asked calmly, he didn't like the way that Harry seemed to shrink into himself and he got a bad feeling about this.

"Why do you want to know?" Harry huffed out.

"Because you're my student and I need to know if she hurt you in any way," he replied truthfully.

"Why do you care now? When you never did before?" Harry sighed heavily.

Severus ceased all movement while he contemplated Harry's words. He had thought that Harry and him had passed this stage and had come to a mutual understanding of one another, apparently not just yet.

"I've always cared for you, I've kept you alive since you were 11. I was just blinded by my hatred for your father that I never saw just you. You will never know how much I regret treating you like I did, and I have no excuses Harry; I am so sorry," he said quietly.

It had taken Severus a while to shove his pride under the table and apologize to the boy. He knew that he didn't deserve to be forgiven but he hoped Harry would anyways.

"Why are you doing this sir? Is it because you hope I can bare my soul to you and you can laugh about it later?" Harry asked, ever the skeptic.

"What? Harry no, I would never do that to you," Severus promised him seriously.

"So you say; how can I know that? You're probably just saying that and then you're going to hurt me with it when the time is right. You and your buddies all having a laugh at my expense," Harry said darkly.

"Harry, remember I took an oath that I would never do anything like that. I even swore on my magic," Severus reminded him.

"So? There are always loopholes in oaths," the young Gryffindor pointed out.
"Then you're just going to have to trust me Harry," Severus said quietly.

"Trust you? The man who loathed me at no fault of my own mind you. Who berated me every day of the school year because of what I represented. Who made me feel like I was lower than dirt, and not even worth it. That man?" Harry asked out harshly.

Every word that Harry spoke Severus's heart dropped lower and lower in his stomach. This was a bad idea, too far-fetched to believe that Harry could ever forgive him after all that he had wronged him. He wanted to defend his actions but he said nothing. He didn't tune the child out, knowing this was his punishment, and he needed to hear it.

"Who risked his own life to save mine every year when he didn't have too. And the man who finally saw me when no one else did and saved me even when I didn't want to be saved?" Harry finished out strongly, his eyes never leaving the older man's face.

"But how can I trust you sir?" Harry whispered out.

"You just have to Harry," Severus replied thickly. He felt his heart swell at that, maybe there was hope for them after all.

"No, I mean; how do you trust someone?" Harry clarified.

Severus's heart plummeted then, the Durselys had a lot to answer for maybe Minerva would come with him to Surrey for a visit. What kind of monsters were they anyway? How did a child not know how to trust?

"You just have to believe that they won't hurt you intentionally. And I know that's hard considering how you grew up but it is possible; you just have to try," was the man's answer.

"Okay, I'll try sir," Harry murmured.

"Now can you tell me what happened in Umbridge's detention?" Severus repeated.

"She had this quill, which made lines in my hand. It hurt and it made my hand bleed, it left a scar," Harry said his voice quiet. Everyone was always leaving scars on him, at least he knew he was alive and could survive.

"Can I see it?" Severus asked curiously.

"Why do you want to see it Professor? It's just a scar," Harry said unable to help the flush of shame at showing the man just what he had been made to right.

"Because I need to know if that toad used a blood quill on you. I'm not sure if you know but it's a dark artifact. And if so she deserves to be punished," he told him matter-factually.

"Whatever, hopefully I'll be long gone by the time that trial takes place, but here it is," Harry said with a shrug when he realized that Snape wasn't about to be swayed. He held out his left hand carelessly.

Severus didn't register what Harry said because he was so disgusted at the barely faded scar on Harry's left hand it read ‘I must not tell lies'.

"She used a blood quill, in Albus Dumbledore's school?! How many others were there Potter?" Severus hissed out, his dark eyes flashing dangerously.

"Um most of Gryffindor, a few Ravenclaws, a lot of Hufflepuffs, and according to Draco a handful of Slytherins as well." Harry didn't notice his slip of the tongue and neither did Snape for that matter. He was focused on the fact that Snape seemed to be angry on his behalf, whoa right?

"And no one told their Head of House?" Severus asked in disbelief.

"Well they heard about me trying to tell McGonagall and they figured the teachers agreed with her, after all she's the Deputy Headmistress. We figured she knew and allowed it," Harry replied honestly.

"That's preposterous, go down the hall and turn left, go into the kitchen and call a house elf to bring lunch. I'll join you in a minute; I'm going to go talk with the Headmaster." Severus told him, barely able to rein in his temper as stomped out of the room.

Harry watched Snape leave with an awed expression on is face before he obediently walked to the kitchen and called for Dobby. Who he saw was excited as usual to serve his Harry Potter sir.

Harry laughed at his excitement; it felt good to laugh again. He ordered lunch and waited at the table for Snape. The food appeared but Harry still waited; he wasn't allowed to eat before anyone and he wouldn't forget his place.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When Severus landed in the Headmaster's office, he was a little surprised to see Minerva there as well. But seeing as she was a part of this discussion he didn't care that she was here. He accioed the Headmaster's pensive and put the memory of his and Harry conversation and floated it towards them.

"Really Severus, no greetings or anything," Minerva said dryly.

But Severus wasn't in the mood for her, to disregard that child below, blew his mind away. He didn't even try to defend his own actions, but she was the boy's head of House! That's what they were there for. He ignored her in favor of answering Albus's question.

"What is this Severus? What did you find out?" Albus asked quietly, knowing whatever this was it had to do with Harry.

"Take a look first Albus, then we'll talk. You too Minerva this concerns you, and what vile woman did to Harry," He told her, granting her a stern look in her direction. Never mind that he was years younger then her, she had taught him for Merlin's sake.

That got their attention and they dove into the sphere; and as Severus waited for them patiently. As his brain went over the previous conversation he had just had with Harry and the things he missed.

‘There isn't a day that goes by that I wish I hadn't chosen Gryffindor' what did that mean? Did the boy wish even now that he could be resorted into the snake pit? Would the Headmaster even allow that? What was he saying since when did he want a Potter in his house? Since realizing he was nothing like his father, that's when.

Whatever, hopefully I'll be long gone by the time the trial takes place.' What was that about surely the boy wasn't suicidal; he was young and so full of life.Then again He didnt even know the real Harry as that was has pointed out to him. Severus only saw what he wanted to see. He pondered on that one for a while, and vowed to pay close attention just in case. He actually wanted to be there for Harry if he needed him in the future.

‘According to Draco a handful of Slytherins as well' since when did Harry refer to the Slytherin by his first name, they were rivals weren't they? Severus contemplated that one the most. If they had a friendship and that was a BIG if, then this could be a great advantage to the light side. He resolved to watch Harry closely to see how he interacted with Draco and the rest of his Slytherins. He hoped with all his might that his snakes were tolerant of Potter in secret and what the rest of the school saw was an act. Severus scoffed at that unbelievable thought, unaware how right he actually was.

They reappeared 15 minutes later both looking grave and angered. Albus couldn't believe that Umbridge had the audacity to use a blood quill in his school. He was going to show her that he wasn't Chief of Wizard Court and defeater of Grindewald for nothing. Albus Dumbledore was mad.

"I need to see Harry, where is he Severus? Minerva demanded to the younger man.

"I'm sorry Minerva but he doesn't want to see you, let alone speak to you right now," Severus told her honestly, not to hurt her but it was what it was.

"Who cares about what he wants he's just a child, I'm his Head of House and he...," but she never got to finish that sentence.

"Then where were you when he was on the brink of death and begging me not to save him?" Severus replied out harshly, she wanted to go there, he could as well.

"That's not fair Severus; I didn't know...he hid it so well, that I never suspected a thing." Minerva replied out sadly,

"I know but as of right now, he loathes you. You saw his expression in the memory, his anger towards you," he pointed out.

"Do you think he'll forgive me Severus?" She whispered out quietly.

"If that child can forgive me after all I've done to him, he can forgive you Minerva; just give him time." Was the man's answer and he knew it to be true.

Harry Potter had a good heart, and at the moment it was slightly broken. He would do whatever he could to make it whole again, and give the child the will to live. He was worth it, Lily's child deserved the world, and Severus would make sure he got it.

To be continued...
Chapter 5: Can you Keep a Secret? by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
I was so happy today..got a nice little email that said reviews..I was stoked! So here is this one..see what happens when we review... :)
When Severus finally left Albus's office it was about 1 hour later and he knew he was late for lunch. He hoped Harry hadn't waited for him, but when he flooed into his quarters he knew that wasn't to be so. He was horrified to find Harry sitting at the table, staring unseeingly at the wall.

The boy's hands were clasped together in his lap and the food on the plate in front of him; untouched. What in the world had happened to the child? The man cautiously went over to him, making sure not to touch him. Harry didn't seem to be all that at the moment and he didn't want to startle him.

"Harry can you hear me? It's Professor Snape and we are at Hogwarts. You're safe child I promise you that. Harry can you answer me?" He asked in a patient tone that were usually only reserved for his abused Slytherins. He pondered silently to himself that he was starting to group Harry in with them.

"Yes sir," Harry replied carefully blinking slowly and starting to come back to himself.

He looked at the food on the table and even though his stomach clenched painfully he didn't touch it. Oh he had wanted too, but he hadn't, no matter what Snape had said he knew it would not have been okay.

"Why didn't you eat?" Severus questioned quietly.

Harry's brow furrowed as tried to figure out if this was a trick or not. He was tensed in his chair, he didn't like the way the man was looking at him. Not to mention he was in his personal bubble of space and he felt crowded. He was doubting himself, and he started to fall back on what he knew usually appeased his uncle. Hopefully it would work on Snape.

"I'm sorry sir," Harry replied respectfully, his eyes low. He didn't want to look into those dark expressionless eyes.

"What are you sorry for Harry?" He asked gently. "You didn't do anything,"

Harry's stared in confusion as he tried to understand the question. Snape needed a reason to say sorry? Uncle Vernon never did.

"I don't understand sir," was his honest answer.

"Why are you apologizing Harry when you didn't do anything wrong. When one apologizes that usually means they have done something to warrant one," Severus explained.

"I didn't?" Harry asked clearly puzzled over that answer."It's just at the Durselys it was always the right thing to say so I wouldn't get into trouble," he admitted

"Not here Harry; Why didn't you eat?" Severus asked getting back to the root of the problem.

"I was waiting for you to come back so we could eat together," Harry replied cautiously.

He couldn't tell Snape that he was forbidden to eat before anyone else, he didn't want to feel that shame coursing through his body.

"It would have been fine if you had eaten, I did not mean for you to wait for me. For dinner time that's normal enough, but in the future if I'm not at the table in 5 minutes I want you to start without," he said seriously.

"I understand, but that doesn't seem proper," Harry said getting annoyed with the fact that Snape was trying to break him away from everything he had ever known.

"Once again your relatives were wrong and I will repeat that for as often as you need me too. While it is polite to wait until everyone is seated to eat, it is unorthodox for you to think you can't eat until everyone else has had their share. You are not below anyone Harry Potter, and seeing that I had taken too long you should have eaten. And you will the next time this happens, won't you?" Severus said firmly, he had heard exactly what Harry hadn't wanted to say.

Harry only stared at the man, he didn't want to answer that. How had Snape known? How he had always known? Once it became apparent that the man was expecting an answer he reluctantly nodded as he tucked in his food.

Severus knew that they needed to discuss his flashbacks but at the moment Harry had already revealed a lot of things today. And he didn't want to push the child to talk about something he clearly wasn't ready to talk about. They sat down and enjoyed their fish and chips. Severus knew that Harry needed to get some fresh air or he could become depressed if he was left to his thoughts.

The other day was proof of that and he sighed as he pulled out the child's wand. He had confiscated it when Albus had said that Harry might be suicidal in a sense and he didn't want to take the risk of the child harming himself with his own wand. As it was, he wanted the child to go outside and he knew that he needed to protect himself.

"After lunch Harry I want you to take your broom and go for a fly around the pitch. I will be giving you your wand for the duration of that time period. If you don't want to do that, that's fine I just ask that you take a walk around the lake. Either way you have to go outside for 2 hours," he told him as he handed over the wand.

"You're kicking me out? Harry said in a neutral voice as he pocketed his wand.

He relaxed slightly at the warm feeling tingling throughout his body as his magic reconnected with the wood. He stared at the man in front of his, his face a carefully put together mask. As although he had prevented the hurt from his tone when he had voiced the question, he couldn't prevent it from shining through his eyes.

Severus could only shook his head, had the child always been this sensitive? Or was it the fact that only a week ago, had it really been that long? But Harry had been on the brink of death and everything he had ever known had come crashing down in an instant? That could be it, and he knew he could not fault the child.

"Of course not, Madame Pompfrey told me that you have to get at least 2 hours of fresh air every day. And you know how she can be if her orders are ignored," he replied smoothly and it was the truth.

"Yeah, I know," Harry muttered before smiling at the dour man of all people listening to the medic-witch's order. It was laughable at best, but he knew what a tyrant she could turn into it if someone knowingly disobeyed her orders.

"And tonight, if you feel well enough you can eat in the great hall with your friends. And you can show them that the Greasy Bat of the dungeons hasn't killed you," Severus told him causally.

"Professor, how can you call yourself that? Harry asked with such an innocent expression he could see it throw his teacher off a bit.

"Children don't whisper properly when they're angry, I hear and see nearly everything, Snape replied quietly. He had long ago gotten over the hurt of their words, it didn't mean anything to him anymore.

Harry's face burned as that as he didn't know that Snape could hear them taunt him. He felt so low, maybe Snape was right to call him a bully. He was no worse then his father had done.

Severus took in the expression on the child's face, for a second his face was an open book but then he closed it off, but Severus had already seen the hurt.

"Honestly Harry it's not only you; even Granger has called me that at least once. And I don't take offense, children behave in my classroom do they not?" The Potion Master said easily.

"Yeah, but still it's not a nice thought. But...thanks Professor," Harry said with a soft smile as he finished up his lunch.

Harry then went to his room and laid on his bed and grinned. He had never had a room of his own unless you counted his cupboard; he didn't. He grabbed his Firebolt and instantly thought of Sirius and he prepared himself for the onslaught of grief.

Surprisingly he didn't feel like he usually felt when he thought of his Godfather, he actually felt a little bit lighter. It was an odd feeling which he then shook off before walking out his room and wishing goodbye to his Professor as he headed to pitch.

Taking the secret passages he didn't bump into anyone as he honestly didn't want to talk. When he arrived at the pitch he saw the Slytherin team was practicing, this was perfect. Without thinking to check to see if anyone was around he took off on his broom towards Draco.

He saw the boy deep in thought, as he seemed to be studying the chasers. He flew past the boy at racing speed, nearly scaring the blonde off his broom.

"Damn it Harry, I could have died!" Draco yelled out angrily, his gloved hand over his rapidly beating heart.

"Nope you were fine Dray," Harry replied offhandedly; not the least bit worried about possibly scaring his friend to death.

"Where have you been Harry? School has been in session for almost a week and I'm only just seeing you. I was really worried about you. This bloody pendant you gave me has taken 10 years off my life this summer. Not to mention being back here. What the hell happened to you? And don't you dare say nothing," Draco ranted at him. "These Pendants that are connected to our magic wouldn't have heated up if it was just nothing,"

"Sorry Dray I didn't mean to scare you, but can I tell you about that later. Now isn't really the best time for that," Harry said as he turned to look back at the castle. He had the strangest feeling that he was being watched.

"Alright, well I'm holding that to you Potter," Draco playfully sneered.

"Draco where's Daphne, why isn't she practicing?" Harry asked frowning as he realized that the Slytherin girl was nowhere to be found.

"She's a bit behind on homework so she skipped practice to finish in the common room. Did you want to see her?" Draco asked with a sly grin.

"Yes and No, I have to get my 2 hours of fresh air before I'm allowed back in the castle," Harry explained.

"Oh, that's...different," Draco said a little confused by Harry's statement, but trusting him enough to tell him when he was ready.

Harry played a mini Quidditch game with the Slytherins of course with him and Draco as seekers for the opposite teams. Harry had really missed flying up here; he always felt right in the air, like he belonged here. He just wished he could stay up here forever. The game lasted for 3 hours before Draco barely caught the snitch before Harry did.

It was all in good fun. He put his arm around Draco's shoulders and he and the team walked to the locker room unaware that someone had been watching them. That feeling that he had felt earlier had meant something even though he had brushed it off.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Back in the Headmaster's office, Albus was looking out the window and to the Quidditch pitch, delighted at what he had seen.

"Perhaps there is still is hope alive in Harry Potter. You are stronger then you know child. To be able to befriend the house of the misunderstood when so many of their parents wishes you dead; astounds me." The Headmaster smiled to himself before popping a lemon drop into his mouth.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry walked with the snakes to the last hallway before they entered the Great Hall where they went in before him. He took a deep breath and waited 5 minutes before coming in after them. Just as he thought all conversation at every single table ceased, as the students all turned around to stare at him.

He wasn't all that interesting and he could never understand the hype around him. So he missed a week of school, no big deal, it could happen to anyone. He looked up at the staff table and avoiding the eyes of his Head of House he looked at Snape, who nodded his head at him to sit down.

Harry looked over at Draco and wished with all his might that he could sit with him. He caught Remus's eyes then made a gesture that looked suspiciously like ‘we need to talk'. He nodded in agreement although he didn't really want to talk to Moony; he knew it had to be done. This was all surprising to him as he didn't know that Remus would be back teaching this year.

He wasn't sure actually if that was good or bad. Harry was in a good mood and didn't want to sit with the Gryffindors who would only talk bad about the man who had saved his life. Sure Snape could be cruel but so could each and everyone one of them. He chose to sit by Luna and Neville at the Ravenclaw table.

"Hey Harry," Neville said as Luna echoed him as Harry took a seat.

"Hey guys," Harry replied dejectedly, picking up a random food item to put on his plate. He couldn't really eat with everyone looking at him like this.

"Don't worry about them Harry, the nargles will take care of everything I promise. Are you feeling better?" Luna dreamily asked.

"I'm getting there," Harry said not the least surprised at how she seemed to know things she shouldn't.

Maybe her invisible animals weren't so invisible, after all if you've seen death you can see the Thestrals just fine. Maybe it was something like that, he wouldn't doubt it.

"Is he the cause of that? I know how overprotected he is of his snakes. And your an honorary one so it has to be him right?" She asked dreamily.

"Yes, he's helping me," Harry admitted, he couldn't really lie to Luna, plus why would he want too?

"You have to open up and let him in Harry, even if this wasn't what you wanted. He gave you another chance at life so don't you dare waste it Harry Potter," Luna replied her voice taking on a hard tone for once. She wanted him to understand that this was very serious.

Harry had to fight the urge to gape at her and he wondered what else was going on in tat head of hers. How did she know? He found that he couldn't say anything in reply to that. She would see right through any old excuse he had.

"Good I'm glad," Neville piped in easing the boy's thoughts at once.

They started eating then, with Harry eating as much as he could with the way everyone was turning around so often to look at him. It was silence in between his friends but it was companionable silence.

Harry was glad that he had these two as his friends. He finished moving his food around his plate; he couldn't eat here if they were all going to treat him like this. He was hoping to sneak out without bumping into anyone but it was not to be.

Remus apparently had his eye on him because before Harry could take a step out of the Great Hall Remus had his hand on his shoulder, restraining him from going anywhere. Harry couldn't help it he flinched and cringed away from the sudden contact.

Remus's eyes narrowed and his eyes changed to amber as his expression turned feral. Harry never noticed how animalistic it made him look and he couldn't help the uncomfortable feeling that was starting to form in his stomach.

"Harry cub, I would never hurt you, you know that don't you?" Remus asked frowning at the implications of what that flinch meant.

"Yes Remus I know that, you just startled me is all," he replied honestly.

Remus didn't look as if he believed the child but he decided to let it go for now. "Come let's go to my office."

Harry reluctantly went, although he didn't want to have this talk with Remus. He had already spoken with Snape about most things already. So why did he have to tell it over again.

If Remus truly wanted to know, the man should just ask Snape. He straightened his shoulders like he was preparing for a battle and walked into Remus's office and closed the door. He decided then to tell Remus the basics of most stuff and leave it at that.

He sighed quietly as he efficiently gave the man a rundown of what went on at the Durselys that led them being here. When Harry got through telling Remus about this previous summer and how Snape had saved him so close to death, he was reminded how over protected Moony could get.

Because Remus had enveloped him in his arms and hugged him quitely tightly that his ribs started to hurt. But he just kept quiet, enjoying the feeling of someone who cared for him holding him close If he was being honest with himself he did feel quite better now that Remus knew.

As much as Harry was enjoying his time with Remus he knew he was cutting it too close; he had to meet Daphne and Draco at 7:30pm and it was already 7:20pm.

"Moony, I'm supposed to meet my friends at 7:30pm so I can't stay for much longer. Was that all you wanted to talk to me about?" Harry asked softly.

"Yes that's all Harry cub, but I have missed you. Maybe once in a week we can meet and talk together, maybe have tea? Would you like that?" Remus offered the slight teen.

That did sound alright to Harry, he liked talking to Remus. They were each others link to their lost loved ones; Harry wouldn't deny the man that, especially since he took Sirius away from him.

"Bye Harry," Remus called out as the boy exited his office.

Harry took off running for the Slytherin Common Room paying close attention that no one was watching or following him. He was in front of the portrait and whispered basilisk, the portrait opening a moment later. Harry loved how warm the dungeons felt despite the chill, he felt accepted here.

Everyone in the common room turned to see who had come in before there were greetings to him before they turned back to whatever they had been doing. The Slytherins were used to Harry coming into their common room. They got over their shock back in his second year; when it was revealed he could speak with snakes.

That was a Slytherin ability and they knew that he was a snake on the inside that's all that mattered. Harry went up to the 6th year boy's dorm where Draco, Theo, and Daphne were waiting for him.

"Where's Blaise? Harry asked as he looked around the dorm and didn't see the dark skinned boy anywere.

"Got detention with Filch, Theo replied ruefully.

"What did he do?" Harry asked curiously.

"Got caught in the Restricted Section," Daphne murmured in amusement.

"I don't know what the hell he was looking for though," Draco piped in, wanting to be part of the conversation.

"Um a book?" Harry said with a smirk.

"Smart ass, you know what I mean," Draco said sticking his tongue out at the boy.

"Enough of that; where have you been for the past week? We didn't see you on the train and you haven't been to any of your classes. I only knew you were in the castle because I overheard Madame Pompfrey talking to the Headmaster about you," Daphne said, bringing the conversation to where she wanted it to be.

"Are you gonna tell me what happened now?" Draco asked quietly, the humor from earlier gone.

Harry didn't want to go here, but he knew they deserved to know. He would never hide something this big from them, not when he knew they might be able to help.

"Well...Snape said I almost died," Harry started out slowly.

"You almost died? How?" The girl asked out fearfully, as he reached her hand out to touch the boy. Clearly he was fine now, but not before that. What had happened?

"Well, I died for a second but he brought me back," Harry answer truthfully.

"What actually happened Harry?" Theo broke in, tired of him beating round the bush.

"It's sort of a long story," Harry said trying to stall. Even though he knew they needed to know, he didn't want to tell it all over again.

"We've got time," Draco said, his voice even and his face a careful calm mask. Harry was not going to get out of this.

Having just told Remus what happened not 30 minutes ago Harry didn't want to tell it again. He still had to sleep tonight and bringing it up again, would most certainly lead to nightmares. He didn't like that look that Draco was giving to him either a mixture of betrayal and hurt.

But he rationalized if he couldn't tell the snakes who could he tell, surely not Hermione or Ron. Ron would make Harry feel guilty about not telling anyone and Hermione would try to talk about his feelings. The Slytherins would only listen. Nodding his head Harry decided to tell them but he was interrupted by a 2nd year bursting through the door.

"Professor Snape is in the Common Room and he said he'll be doing dorm checks in a minute. Choosing randomly the 6th year boys are first," he blurted out breathlessly before he left to warn some more students.

"Damn it, what the hell is Uncle Severus doing?" Draco rushed out as he quickly got up and off the bed.

Their dorm was spotless mostly, and this was unsurprisingly to say the least, but it was just bad timing on his godfather's part.

"I don't know but Harry has to hide," Daphne said as if that wasn't obvious.

"You don't love me anymore Daph? You're so ashamed of me that you want me to hide?" Harry teased playfully. He turned his head so she wouldn't see the grin on his face as she tried to right her supposed wrong.

"That's not what I meant Harry, I only said it because...are you laughing at me?" She asked as she saw his shoulder's shaking and she knew he wasn't crying.

"I'm just kidding Daph I promise, where am I going to hide though?" Harry chuckled as he stood up and looked around the dorm.

"Theo go check and see what Snape is doing, Harry will hide in the toilet," Daphne replied.

"He's going to see his feet if he walks in there, " Draco drawled out slowly.

"Not if he's standing on the actual toilet," Daphne smugly answered.

"He doesn't check the bathroom does he Dray?" Harry asked worriedly.

"Not usually," Draco answered truthfully.

At that moment Theodore burst back into the room hurrying to straighten up his stuff. "He's coming up the stairs now, Harry hide!" He hissed out.

Daphne grabbed Harry's hand and led him bathrooms and into a stall. Harry not wanting to stay in there by his self, held onto her hand when she tried to leave. She rolled her eyes but stayed there with him.

They could hear Snape in the dorm room and hoped he wouldn't come in to the toilets. After 10 minutes had passed Snape was finally done and left so Harry and Daphne came out to a much cleaner dorm room.

"I hate that we can't tell Uncle Severus, I feel so guilty.
Why can't we tell him again?" Draco whined out.

The others sighed having heard this question numerous times. Theo decided to answer it this time.

"Because you know what he is, and who he's friends with. Would you rather feel guilty about not telling him or scared and betrayed that he told your father? Not to mention hurt when he finds out that you befriended the golden boy; and then finally used as bait so they can catch Harry?" Theo calmly but bluntly asked.

He himself knew the price and the risk of Harry friendship. And after 6 years he wasn't going to lose him to a stupid mistake.

Harry wanted to tell them that Snape was a spy for the light side who would never betray their secrets, but what if they accidentally told someone? Snape would be killed so he kept that information to himself.

"Yeah I forgot about that," Draco replied sheepishly."Sorry Harry."

"Malfoys don't apologize, remember Draco?" Harry smirked remembering their 1st year.

"Prat," Draco muttered back before rolling his eyes.

"Harry where are you staying? I went up to the infirmary but you weren't there and Pompfrey wouldn't tell me," Daphne said frowning.

"You should've had Draco go, you know he's her favorite Slytherin," Harry grinned at her, because they all knew it was true. The Matron had a soft spot for the blonde boy, for a reason that Draco was tight-lipped about.

Draco put his nose up in the air and attempted to reply in a pompous tone but busted out laughing halfway through it.

"Seriously where are you staying Harry?" Theo repeated, not wanting this conversation to get side tracked.

"With Snape in his quarters," was his quick answer before held held his breath waiting for their reactions.

"Did you not just hear our previous discussion on him? Are you crazy? Is the Headmaster insane? Don't answer the last one, of course he is. Why are you staying with Uncle Severus?" Draco rushed out worriedly.

"Weren't you the one who just wanted to tell him about Harry being our honorary snake? Do you have a personality disorder? What the hell changed Draco?" Theo asked grumbled out.

"Well for starters, he can do what he wants to Harry and no one would know. You know how Harry is, he wouldn't tell anyone if Snape did something to him," Draco replied quietly, well aware of how he was talking about his godfather. But he knew the man could be ruthless, especially when it came to the name Potter.

"I'm fine Draco. Poppy and the Headmaster both know where I am and they come and visit every day. Relax; I still have this bloody pendant you gave me back in 1st year. You'll know if something happens, which I doubt will," Harry sighed out.

"Yeah Draco, he did save Harry. Why would he do that if he wanted him dead? It doesn't make any sense," Daphne sensibly answered as she thought that over.

"I don't know but until we find out why, we're going to have to keep a close eye on our Head of House and see okay?" Draco said slowly.

"Alright," Harry muttered out finally.

He would have to tell Snape to be on his guard; but was unsure on how to do that without alerting the man that he was on friendly terms with the snakes. Harry's ribs were starting to hurt from when Remus had hugged him, and he needed a pain potion.

"It's getting late guys, I'd better head back," Harry said as he stood up, unable to suppress the small wince that graced his face at the movement.

"You okay Harry?" For Daphne had noticed the change in his expression.

"Just peachy," he grinned out at her when he saw her worried look.

"Do you guys want to have dinner together tomorrow?" Theo asked, but he was mostly just asking Harry to join them as he always ate with his fellow Slytherins.

"Yeah, don't forget to tell Blaize though," Harry replied he wanted his other friend to be in the loop. "See you guys later."

"Night Harry," they all chorused.

Harry walked over to the fire place and hissed to the snake on the on the wall, the remaining students in the common room didn't pay him any mind. After his 2nd year when he was ousted as a parsel-tongue they had finally accepted him as one of them.

And in return he showed them the secret passages in their common room that can only be opened by parselmouths. Harry stepped through the passage and walked down the tunnel, it led him directly to Snape's quarters. As he came out of the tunnel, the portrait of Salazar who was guarding the quarters smirked at him.

"Young speaker that is a passage from inside the Slytherin common room and you are a lion are you not?" Salazar said curiously, he didn't have many portraits around the castle. And unfortunately of the few he had none of them were in the Slytherin common room.

"Only on the outside," Harry answered breathlessly, it hurt so much to breathe at this point. He had become very equipped at hiding his pain that his friends hadn't even noticed anything was off with him.

"Lily Flower, " Harry said quickly not feeling well enough to converse.

When Harry walked in he saw Snape sitting in front of the fireplace. He wasn't sure how to ask for the potion so he schooled his expression and tried to hide the pain. Apparently he didn't do such a good job as the man suddenly stood up and narrowed his eyes at him.

"If you are in pain, tell me so that I can give you a potion," Severus said in an attempt to get Harry to share about his injuries.

But his efforts were in vain as the boy said nothing. He was fairly certain that the child was hurting but the quarters were silent.

Harry wanted to tell him that he was hurting but his stupid pride wouldn't let him. Not to mention the insecurity he was feeling. What if Snape told him no after he had asked?

He didn't know what to do if he was being honest. "I'm fine sir," he said I as the man was looking at him so he figured he'd better say something. He did however instantly regret doing so as he was far from fine.

"Of course you are Mr. Potter, never the less the potions you were supposed to take with dinner are on your dresser with a sandwich. Please eat the sandwich first, you barely had anything at dinner and you can't take those potions on an empty stomach," he said as if the child hadn't blatantly lied in his face.

Severus looked at the child in front of him, who was struggling with himself on whether or not to say anything but finally nodded and left the room. This boy kept surprising him each day.

The Headmaster had told Severus about Harry flying with his snakes with no hostility from either of them and that had him intrigued. He wanted to know how that came to pass but was reluctant to ask; knowing if he went about it wrong then tempers would flare.

He shook his head, that child was so full of secrets. Severus had a feeling that the boys ribs were bothering him when he walked in but he wouldn't admit it. He wasn't really surprised at that seeing how long it took the child to admit his abuse and Severus was sure that Harry hadn't told him everything.

Nonetheless, no child under his care was going to be in pain; not his snakes and certainly not Harry. So Severus had added a pain reliever on the boy's desk for him to take.

Harry sat down on the bed with a hiss of pain, man he really wished he had said yes to the pain potion. The pain was so intense it was bringing tears to his yes. Trying not to breathe deeply, he ate his sandwich as quick as he could, and took the potions.

Noticing an extra potion on the desk he looked at his curious before deciding that Snape probably wanted him to take another nutritive potion. He took it without thought and was shocked when his ribs stopped hurting. How did he know? That simple act of kindness was Harry's undoing that night.

He cast silencing charm around his bed and got under the covers and finally cried to his heart's content.
He had known for years that he didn't deserve kindness but Snape was proving him wrong at every turn.

Maybe his life was worth living, despite all the hurt. The pain of losing Sirius didn't make him feel like he was suffocating anymore, he almost felt that Sirius would want him to be happy, and Snape gave him that.

As long as Snape wanted him around Harry felt he could take on the world, to have an adult on your side that will fight for you and only you and not what you stand for, made Harry feel good.

He wanted to tell Snape everything but he couldn't just yet, there was a part of him that remembered just how mean Snape could be and didn't know if he would go back to treating Harry like that.

He had forgiven Snape he just wished that Snape would forgive him when he apologized for looking into his pensive.

He dried the last of his tears on his pillow as he blew out a quiet breath of relief. He hoped that the man would accept his apology because he didn't know what he would do if he didn't.

To be continued...
Chapter 6: But I'm not Suicidal...Am I? by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
So the Angst is back,and this chapter has a trigger..but I put a tag for self harm, it's not graphic but it's there. So I would check out the warnings on the story, because they are there for a reason.

 

Early the next morning after Madame Pompfrey had given Harry his medicine he laid back down and pretended to be sleep. He could hear Snape moving around the flat as he was getting ready to leave for his classes. As he wasn't opening his eyes, he tensed ever so slightly when he heard the man come into his room to check on him. Peeking through an eyelid he saw that the man was in the process of setting a tray of breakfast on the desk. He was conflicted at the moment, he didn't understand any of this. He had never been so happy when Snape had left.

Harry carefully stood up, and made his way over to his desk to eat his breakfast. He couldn't shake the feeling away, but Snape had looked like he cared for him The man was genuinely concerned about him it seemed, and it even scared him to a degree. He just could not understand why, it didn't make any sense. Eating his breakfast slowly Harry had a sudden thought as he realized that he was completely alone. Today would actually be a good day to finish what his Uncle had started if only his ribs weren't so sore.

Because of the beating his ribs had taken, he wouldn't be able to walk that far. Which would result in someone finding him before he would even have a chance to do it. He didn't let that thought get him down, he had the whole week to himself, he could find some time. With that plan in motion he finished his food and tiredly made his way back to bed. He had the plan of reading a book but he soon found himself drifting off to sleep before he had finished the first chapter.

He awoke when he heard Snape come through the bedroom door with his lunch. Had he really slept that long? As he watched the man set down his lunch tray he could swear he saw a trace of approval at the empty breakfast tray. Was Snape actually happy that he had managed to eat? He shook his head at that thought, blinking up in surprise when he saw Snape sit down with a lunch tray of his own. He had been expecting the man to leave just like this morning.

Truth was Harry wasn't very hungry at the moment, he was still a bit full from breakfast. His stomach still wasn't up to copious amounts of food yet. Not to mention he had a less then pleasant dream and had woken up with some unease to say it lightly. He wondered what were his chances of forgoing this lunch, one look at the dark calculating gaze on him had him inwardly groaning.

"Grab your tray and eat your lunch," Severus told him a casual but firm tone.

He was eating the same food as the boy was as the child's stomach couldn't yet eat the rich food of Hogwarts. So soup and sandwich was what they had. Not to mention he had put a stomach soother in the boy's pumpkin juice just so he could be able to keep it down. Kind of like this morning actually.
Harry nodded sighing softly as he realized he had no choice in this particular matter.

He grabbed a sandwich off the tray and under Snape's watchful eye he was able to finish half of it, where he then moved on to his soup. But he was only able to eat 4 spoonfuls of it before his stomach felt like it was about to burst. He caught Snape's disapproving gaze at how little he ate before he turned his gaze to his hands.

Sighing softly once before he was picking up the sandwich again. If he ate anymore it was going to come back up, but he couldn't stand that expression on Snape's face. He took a deep breath preparing to eat more when the sandwich disappeared from his hand, along with his entire lunch. The only thing that remained was his cup of juice and his potions to take. He looked at Snape confusion covering his face for a second before he frowned.

"Where did you do with my lunch?" Harry asked warily, unsure of what this all meant.

Was Snape playing some kind of joke? Because he didn't eat a lot, did that mean he couldn't eat anymore ever? Thankfully the man answered his question before he worked himself into a state.

"I banished it, as you were finished. I saw your face, and I have no idea why you were trying to eat yourself sick," Severus told him as he continued to eat his lunch.

"Because you were frowning, when I put my spoon down," Harry mumbled out honestly as he took his potions.

He washed them down with the juice and smiled slightly, his stomach felt a lot better now. Maybe Snape did know what he was doing.

"Nothing you had done, I assure you," Severus said in a clipped tone.

Truthfully he was angry at the child's relations as the boy couldn't even stomach a sandwich and some soup. He could kill them for what they had done. He shook the thoughts away before he finished his lunch and flicked it away before he stood up and gestured for the boy to sit back up.

"Why?" Harry asked quietly as he slowly sat back up.

"I need to check your ribs, and see how they're healing," he answered.

Harry sighed and allowed the man to do his check over. If he was being truthful with himself, he preferred Snape to Pompfrey as she seemed to give him a sad look every time she came to see him. He knew it wasn't pity she was giving him, but he still couldn't stand it as a wave of shame tended to hit him when she did. He laid back on his pillows as his teacher finished up.

"I have to get back to class, you may get up if you'd like. But please don't leave the quarters, your ribs aren't ready for that," Severus replied as he headed out the room. Yesterday had been a bit too much for the child, to soon but the boy had come back with a light in his eyes so he didn't regret it.

"Alright," Harry murmured as he settled back in the bed.

He noticed the minute the man had left, the distinct feeling that he was completely alone. It was a disconcerting feeling, and his state it wasn't very welcoming at the moment. He'd never realized how much Snape's presence filled a room. He looked around the room, absently shutting his eyes tight as his thoughts started to run wild. Here in the absence of other people he could feel and it hurt. His grief was on the surface and all positive thoughts got pushed in the back of mind.

What the fuck? He had been almost normal for a moment, why now? He found himself getting bombarded with his negative thoughts. In just that instant he couldn't remember why he felt like giving life another chance last night, and he couldn't bring himself to care. He was on a train of depression and was starting to go downhill.

The tears threatened to overwhelm him, but he had already cried last night and didn't want to seem weak. He refused to let the tears fall, even if they're was no one here to see them. Harry gasped on his air trying to breathe deeply but he couldn't, and a strangled sob managed to escape him.

He wanted Snape, he just wanted someone to be there for him. But like all things in his life his wishes never comes true. He hitched his breath, looking around wildly for the next best thing. In a moment he had removed his glamours on his arms and was soon adding more slashes to his arms and legs before he could fully think about it.

When had it come to this? Why did this feel so good? If he was being honest, it didn't really feel good. It hurt but at the same time, it was relief. The emotions churning inside of him went away when he hurt himself. Because he could now focus on the physical pain, he felt he was able to cope, ever so slightly.

Harry was very much aware this wasn't the right way, but who cared right? He only had himself to lean on, whatever worked for him. He sighed softly to himself starting to feel a little better. But even as the physical pain is the most prominent, the emotional hurt and turmoil he's going through while dampened, is still there and he doesn't know what to do.

He screamed, the sound raw and one could hear the hurt in it if they were around. But he's so alone, so very alone. And because no one is there, he keeps cutting and cutting oblivious to how deep he's going. He just wants the pain to stop, he wants to be whole again.

Why him? Why does these things always happen to him? When will he ever get a chance at happiness? He's a madman as he slashes his body, no skin is safe, and when he finally does get the feeling of being totally numb he sees that he had bled all over Snape's blankets.

Harry can't bring himself to care about it though, he and takes a shuddering sigh of relief. Everything hurts but at the same time, he feels nothing. At that thought a sudden wave of exhaustion comes over him and all he wants to do is sleep. He barely has the strength to banish the razors but he can't bring up his glamours.

He decides to take a short nap and then reapply them when he wakes up before Snape even comes back home. It's a good plan he thinks, so he closes his eyes and allows his body to finally fall into a restful sleep.

It's a pity really, that when he was finally able to get some good sleep, it wasn't without consequences. In his haste to make himself numb and feel better, he hadn't paid attention to what he was doing. And the cuts that he had made had moved from small slashes, to deep cuts and gashes. And as a result they were bleeding freely, and somewhere along the way he's no longer sleep, but unconscious from the blood loss.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Severus was in his after lunch class with the 2nd years Huffelpuff-Ravenclaw and it was going fine, but there was a nagging in his mind that something was wrong. He went around the classroom checking cauldron and student alike and found nothing wrong. The feeling was getting stronger but he ignored it in favor of stopping a Huffelpuff from exploding his cauldron.

All through the class he couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right and when class was over he went over everything in head that could be wrong, when Potter popped up. He shook that thought away, he had just seen the child he was fine. What could happen to a child who was on bed rest? His next class was starting and it was the Gryffindor-Slytherin 6th years; he needed his full attention with this class and he pushed that nagging feeling to the back of his mind.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry couldn't believe it; he was with his parents and Sirius again. He didn't know how though, he hadn't even put his plan into action yet how could this be possible? He shook his head it didn't really matter how he got there, he was here and that's all that counted. He just hoped no one would bother him like before.

This time his mother wasn't crying and she even had this half of a smile on her face like she couldn't decide where she was happy or sad that he was here. He ran and hugged her and he saw that she was both, she started crying on his shoulder but he didn't care he had his mum.

His dad and Sirius came up behind him after he let go of her and tackled him to the ground, he laughed until he thought he couldn't breathe, this was his heaven and he would rather be here with his family then fighting a fight he never wanted to be a part of. He ran back to his mum who reached for his hand and pointed out 2 figures in the distance.

There walking to him was his namesake; his grandpa with his grandma. He gasped softly to himself, he couldn't wait to meet him. If this was his heaven, why would he give this up for his life when it was as terrible as they come?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Severus couldn't get rid of the horrible feeling in his gut that something was terribly wrong. The feeling intensified and when he caught sight of Weasley working alone he realized it had to do with Harry. He had to get out here, he vanished all the cauldrons frightening the students in the process but he didn't care.

"CLASS DISMISSED!" He all but roared and ran out of the classroom leaving bewildered students behind.

Severus didn't know how he would find Harry and that was scaring him more and more. He opened his quarters and ran directly to Harry's room where he couldn't stop the "Oh Harry!" that came out of his mouth as he took in the sight before him. The sheets and blankets were bloody and the child was sheet white.

He called his house elf Twinkle to bring him potions that Harry was going to need. When he touched the child's body it was ice cold and his heart jumped into throat; he was very scared in that moment. He wasted no time in sending his Patronus to Poppy and got to work. He took in the cuts that were still bleeding and spelled them to stop, he tried to heal them but they wouldn't go away. He spelled blood-replenishing potions into the child's body along with pain relieving potions.

Throughout all of this Harry had a faint pulse, then for a second he had nothing. Severus took note of the numerous scars that littered this child's body and tried to figure out why they never saw them when his heart plummeted as Harry had stopped breathing.

Severus couldn't believe it he had already saved the child from near death a week ago and was in the process of doing it again. The real question was would Harry resent him even more when Severus saved his life again? Because there was no doubt in the Slytherin's mind, that he wasn't going to be able to bring the child back.

Before Harry reached his grandparents he felt something tugging at him, like someone was trying to wake him up. It was an annoying feeling and he longed to ignore it in favor of hugging his grandpa but he couldn't.

It was probably Snape with his dinner, for all he knew. Then he remembered his cuts weren't covered up! Oh boy, if he was having the heaven dream did that mean that he had almost died again?

Harry's eyes popped opened as he inhaled a giant gasp of air and looked into the terrified eyes of his Professor before his face went blank. Harry didn't want his teacher to think he wanted to kill himself, since he was starting to trust the man; he didn't want that concern to be replaced with disgust. When he decided to end his life he hoped to Merlin that Snape wouldn't be the one to find him. Harry blurted out the first thing he could think of in an attempt to make the situation better.

"I wasn't trying to kill myself sir," Harry panted out. Why was he so breathing so hard, he hadn't been running? What was going on?

"You expect me to believe that Potter? Then please explain to me what the hell you WERE trying to do? These are self-inflicted cuts are they not? You meant to do something, than what was it?" Severus asked tightly, he wanted to strangle and the hug the child, not sure in what order so as it was he was currently glaring at him.

Harry didn't want to tell anymore of his secrets to Snape but it was either explain or have Snape think he was suicidal (even if he technically was he didn't want his teacher to know that)

"I was trying to take away the hurt that I was drowning in. Lately it's been feeling like it's going to rip my insides apart and I needed something to take the pain away. I guess I cut way too deep and then I felt really tired. I'm sorry sir," Harry stated honestly, feeling his face heat up at his admission. God he had been so stupid.

"That is not the way to deal with your grief you foolish boy. You have to scream, cry, write it down or talk to someone, anyone, and you could even talk to me if you need too. Just not this; anything but this; you could become addicted to this if you're not careful. Speaking of which, how many times have you've done this already?" Severus asked him
seriously.

Harry was looking at the cuts on his arms, it was easier them looking at the angry eyes of his Professor. He could hear the man waiting for an answer and he knew he wasn't getting out of this. "I can't... I don't trust adults; they've always let me down in the past. I have no one left in this world that cares for me. Not the part of me that's famous, but the part that's just Harry; the boy with no one."

Harry's eyes widened as he realized what he just said, he didn't want Snape to know that was how he truly felt. Where had that come from? That was the answer to the question, what the hell? What was it about Snape, that made him want to spill his guts?

Severus narrowed his eyes at that answer, it wasnt the one he wanted but it was important nonetheless. What else had gone on in that house? It did give new perspective on why the child didn't seem to reach out to adults. Severus couldn't believe what he was about to say but the child had to hear it.

"That's not true Harry, what about Granger and Weasley? You 3 are inseparable," he asked, but the boy needed his friends he was starting to see.

"Are we? Then how come they haven't written to me all summer or knew what was going on with me? Where are they? Why have they only tried to visit me once? That doesn't sound like we're inseparable to me," he asked out bitterly.

"I don't know Harry....but it doesn't matter if they can't see how great of a person you are then they don't deserve you," Severus told him softly.

He could see the surprised look in the child's eyes but before anything else could be said they were interrupted by the door. Thinking it was Poppy, Severus rushed to the door and opened it only to reveal a worried looking Draco who was talking in frantic sentences that Severus couldn't half understand.

He led him through the door and without thinking brought Draco with him to Harry's room. He didn't want to leave him alone again and he needed to finish bandaging Harry cuts. He was surprised to see nothing malicious in either of their expressions instead he saw only worry in Draco's and shame in Harry's. He couldn't understand it, so he quietly finished bandaging Harry's scars while the boys talked as if he wasn't there.

"This is the 2nd time in 1 week that you've almost died Harry, does our friendship mean so little to you that you can't let me know how you're really doing? This bloody pendant has taken 5 more years off of my life today Harry. I was in Potions thinking that the worst had happened and from the looks of it, it did," Draco bit out angrily, but his eyes shone the hurt that he didn't want to say.

"I'm sorry Draco; I... this summer was really bad. I just didn't think ...I mean I forgot...I'm sorry again," Harry whispered out sadly. Was he going to lose another friendship?

"I know Harry its okay, I just wish you had told me about it. Later never came for our conversation. How's it going with Uncle Severus?" Draco tilted his head, as he asked cryptically.

But honestly Severus read the unasked question, and since when did his godson care about Harry?

"He's not treating me like I deserve to be treated, he's treating me better and I don't know why," Harry told the boy, letting his confusion show at that.

"How?" Draco narrowed his eyes as he waited for Harry's answer, he didn't like the sound of that.

"Nothing bad, just similar to how he treats the snakes, he brings me food for every meal. And I'm allowed to use the toilet when I need to and he doesn't get angry at me for being a freak, " Harry replied grinning at that. It was strange at how emotions were fluctuating so at the moment.

"Harry... WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT THAT WORD?" Draco shouted out angrily. They had discussed that particular word numerous times in the past. They actually got into a fight over it a few times.

"Who told you that you were a freak Potter?" Severus asked out dangerously, unable to keep quiet any longer. Though he was learning a bit, he also couldn't let this go.

Both Harry and Draco looked up as Snape spoke they had forgotten he was even in the room with them. They looked at each other before Draco spoke once again.

"The muggles," Draco replied with so much disdain you would have thought that he had tasted something disgusting.

Severus was about to reply when his floo flared, he knowing this had to be Poppy; rushed out to greet her.

"So he's actually helping you huh?" Draco asked when the man walked out the room.

"Well he's trying to," Harry answered quietly.

"Are you going to let him in?" Draco asked curiously, he wanted to know.

"Nope, that would be cruel of me, I nearly gave him a heart attack today as it was," Harry replied coolly.

"How would it be cruel?" Draco asked confused, his godfather was strong and he would protect Harry if the boy let him.

"Because when I die, I don't want him to feel guilty or worse; hurt," Harry sighed out honestly.

"What do you mean when you die?" Draco's eyes narrowed angrily, and his heart clenched painfully as he looked at his friend.

"Nothing ok, I was just saying," Harry said as he took in the boy across from him. He needed to watch what he said.

Draco frowned and shook his head in disbelief as a thought occurred to him. "Harry were you trying to kill yourself?"

"No, I didn't plan on doing that today," Harry smirked out, because it was true. It was irony that had such an expression on his face. When he didn't even try, he nearly succeeded, so that meant when he would finally try he would succeed right?

"What do you mean not today?" Draco murmured out carefully.

"I meant no in general Dray," Harry said with a shake of his head.

"You're a horrible liar Harry... you know that right?" Draco said quietly.

"Only when I want to be Draco," Harry pointed out.

"So what are you saying? You want me to know that you're contemplating throwing your life away?" Draco asked bluntly, because honestly he wasn't in the mood for being subtle and reading in between the lines.

"No, I just want you to be prepared for it just in case. So it won't come as a shock too you when it happens...you know?" Harry answered truthfully.

"No I don't know, and you know what else? That is the dumbest idea I have ever heard Harry. Do you honestly hate life that much?" Draco asked appalled as he really started to look at his friend.

"No, but it doesn't have my parents and Sirius here with me. It hurts living without them, knowing everyone else has someone for them." he muttered morosely.

"And it'll hurt living without you. What am I supposed to do when you off yourself? You've been there for me at every turn; whose gonna tell ME not to jump if your already gone? Huh Harry who?" Draco hissed out, ignoring the stinging in the back of his eyes. He didn't like talking about this.

"Draco don't talk like that, you have everything to live for. Your parents and your Godfather are both alive. Not to mention everyone everywhere knows the Malfoy name you are set for life," Harry told him seriously.

"Except my best friend will be gone, then the only person who actually mattered would be dead. Know this Harry if you do it, I'm gonna be right behind you," Draco managed to get out, those by then his eyes while angry were more shiny then he'd like to admit.

"What are you saying Draco?" Harry asked slowly.
"If you jump I jump; I can't live with that guilt Harry," Draco told softly.

"That's not fair Draco," Harry said with a shake of his head. He couldn't allow his friend to to that.

"Nobody said life was fair Harry," he stated stubbornly.

"I know, it never has been to me in the past, so why would it start now?" Harry muttered out bitterly.

Back in the hall Severus's eyes widened as he took in the end of their conversation. They were thinking about death? Was the Headmaster once again right in his own eccentric way? Vowing to think on that later, Severus led Poppy into Harry's bedroom effectively ending the boy's conversation, as she looked over the fresh wounds.

To be continued...
Chapter 7: That's what Friend's are For by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Hope you enjoy it...I'm not a fan of Hermione..but I love Ron and Draco..so yeah enjoy!

The boys quieted when the door opened and Madame Pompfrey bustled in clicking her tongue at Harry, and Severus noticed how unsurprised she looked to see Draco next to him.

"What happened this time Harry?" Poppy asked quietly as she pulled out her wand.

"I...I guess I cut too deep Poppy," Harry replied shamefully at having to admit that.

"Harry that's not healthy at all dear; I'm going to assume you hid these from us because I didn't see them when I healed you the first time. Why did you hide them?" She asked softly, a wave of hurt coursing through her as she realized how much he was truly suffering.

"Because I knew how your reactions would be and I didn't want you to be ashamed of them," Harry sighed quietly as he turned his gaze to his bed covers.

"Oh Harry," she breathed out sadly.

"I'm sorry...I just..." Harry trailed off because in all honesty he didn't know what to say.

"No Harry, don't apologize it's alright. But I can't heal them because you don't want them healed. They will stay until you don't need them anymore. Whenever you feel the urge day or night I want you to come to me or Severus and if we aren't available seek out your friends they will help you," she told him as she rubbed some Dittany on his arms, while they would take the sting out she was right it wouldn't heal them.

As Poppy and Severus talked off on the side, Harry and Draco realized that Snape would have already noticed how friendly they were being. Harry knowing where Snape's loyalties lie wasn't that concern, but Draco was. Even if Snape was his Godfather he was a death eater first and he could tell his father at anytime. Harry looked at Draco's worrying face, he knew what was going through his mind, he only hoped Draco would understand what he was about to do.

"Malfoy what the hell are you looking at?" Harry had to force the anger out, although it did help to think of the Dursleys. Draco's face showed a split second of shock before he caught Harry's knowing look.

"Not you Potter, I came here looking for My Head of House since these are his quarters. What the hell are you doing here anyway?" Draco sneered out, wondering if this was all too late. His godfather wasn't dense, hopefully the man hadn't paid as close attention to them due to Harry's injuries.

Harry noticed Poppy about to say something but he subtly glanced at Snape who was looking at Draco curiously; Harry hoped that she got the message.

"What did you need me for Draco?" Snape asked confusion coursing through his body.

Severus was looking between the boys confusion the prominent emotion on his face. What the heck was going on here? Hadn't the boys just had a civil conversation with each other not 10 minutes ago; what changed? Or had he just imagined that? He shook his head trying to clear his head before facing his godson who was still talking to him.

"You're needed in the Common Room sir, um...something is wrong with Theo, he keeps staring at the wall and shaking his hands out like he wants to cut," Draco swiftly lied.

"Do you know what happened to him?" Severus asked seriously, this is how he knew how to deal with Harry. Self harm was very common with his snakes, they learned it early on and it was his job to un-teach them.

"No sir, all I know is he got a letter from home," Draco replied, he was lying on the spot though. He needed a reason for coming down here, and visiting Harry wasn't going to help him if Snape told his father.

"Merlin he wouldn't would he?" Severus said speaking mostly to himself as he thought about this new situation. He was torn between what to do. The child in front of him had just been revealed that he was a self-harmer and one of his snakes who had been battling with it for 4 years could be on the verge of a relapse. What was he to do? The last thing he wanted was to give Harry the impression that Theo was more important then him.

While Snape pondered what to do, Draco gave Harry a significant look for Harry to distract Snape so he could go and tell Theo the lie he just spouted so they could be ready. Madame Pompfrey had already left at this point, telling Harry she would be back later. Harry sighed and took that time to reach for the pitcher of water on his nightstand. He knew it was too far and if he reached for it he would probably fall and bang his ribs. It was the perfect distraction, and Harry quickly lunged for it and of coursed fell.

Though he had thought the plan through as quick as it had been, he had underestimated how much it would hurt. He saw black spots coming into his vision, and Draco's horrified look until Harry urged him to leave while Snape helped him up. His ribs were on fire, and he wasn't able to stop the hisses and pain as he breathed in and out; Merlin it hurt. Pride be damned he wanted a pain potion, if only he could get the words out.

"Snape," Harry breathed harshly, feeling ready to pass out again.

"Yes Harry, you foolish child you should have asked me to hand it to you if you wanted a drink. Or even Draco could have.....Where is Draco?" Snape asked as he turned around to find the blonde Slytherin gone.

Noticing Snape getting off subject Harry moaned and it wasn't even faked, he really was hurt. The things he did for his friend, Draco owed him. And he would definitly be holding the boy to it.

"Do you want a pain reliever potion Harry?" Snape asked hoping the child said yes.

"If you don't mind, if you do then never mind," Harry replied quickly as he breathed through the pain.

"Silly boy, if I minded I wouldn't have asked," the man replied as he summoned it.

"Oh okay," Harry mumbled out, unsure of how to reply to that.

Harry gratefully swallowed his potion and sighed in relief. Snape's face was still pinched in concern. And hoping it wasn't for him Harry told Snape with a yawn that he was going to sleep.

After spelling Harry's room much to his displeasure, Severus took off to the Slytherin Common room, not knowing what he would find.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was a few hours later when Harry awoke once more to find Snape coming into his room asking him if he felt well enough to go down to the great Hall for dinner. In all honesty Harry wanted to know what the heck happened when Snape got to the Common Room but he knew he couldn't very well ask the man that. Why would he be concerned about the snakes? And it might bring back suspicious Snape, and he so didn't need that spy for the.

"I'll go to the Great Hall," Harry replied as he got out of bed and pulled on his shoes. He wouldn't be going though, he remembered that he was supposed to be having dinner with the snakes. Which was fine as they all needed to talk.

Harry left Snape's quarters before he did and went straight for the kitchen where Dobby had prepared a basket with dinner for them. Harry took the passage way to the Slytherin Common Room where Daphne, Blaise, and Draco were talking quietly.

"Where's Theo? Harry asked quietly when he didn't see the other Slytherin.

"Went to see Poppy," Daphne answered with a shake of her head.

"Why what happened? Did he actually have to hurt himself? Harry asked horrified, hoping that wasn't the case at all. Or had something else happened?

"Nope he didn't want to do it. Even on purpose, so I did it myself. Only I might have scratched him a little too hard, Daphne replied sheepishly as a flush graced her pale face.

"How was Snape? Harry asked curiously, wanting to know the man's reaction to that.

"He looked disappointed but mostly worried, and I feel guilty since I'm the one who suggested it in the first place," Draco admitted quietly.

"True, you could have gotten another lie, but it had the added effect of getting Snape from giving us weird looks. Anyway Let's go get him, Poppy will be at dinner, and if not she'll still let him go," Harry told him easily.

"Do you think Snape's suspicious? Blaize asked softly, knowing this was a dangerous game they were all.

"He's confused that's for sure," Harry grinned, remembering his teacher's look.

He laughed at the memory and had just passed the basket to Blaize when they turned the corner and saw Ron and Hermione ahead. His inside's froze at his Gryffindor friends, knowing that a confrontational was inevitable now.

"Damn it, I so don't want to deal with them right now," Harry sighed frustrated, he just wanted to relax was that so hard to ask.

"Just get it over with, and then come meet us," Daphne told him quickly knowing this was going to happen so he might as well stop trying to prolong it.

"Fine, I'll meet you in Poppy's special room okay?" He grumbled out as he started distancing himself from his friends.

"Alright and Harry?" Blaize asked casually.

"What? Harry replied turning around to give his a friend a look.

"Forgive me," Blaise said with a grimace as he pulled out his wand.

"Forgive you for...." But Harry never got to finish before he was floating upside down like Snape was in that Pensieve memory he saw back in 5th year. Oh forgive him for this, well this sucked. He had to wonder how the boy knew that particular spell, he didn't think Snape would share that with anyone. He hated how they had to act around everyone else; but time to play his part.

"Let me down you bastard!" He yelled out.

"Sorry Potter, my parents we're married when they conceived me. If anyone's the bastard it's you, you know what they say about mudbloods," Blaize said bitingly, swallowing the bitter bile in his throat. He always hated these jabs, as one day he always felt that Harry would believe them.

Harry's face when red at the boy's comment, yeah he knew it wasnt true but hell one couldn't reason with emotions at all. But he didn't even have a chance to make a retort.

"Aww Potter's all alone without his Gryfindorks," Daphne taunted him.

"Shut up Greengrass you death eater scum, he yelled back." Harry hated this; especially saying it to Daphne. She was the furthest thing from being a death eater, not to mention how he felt about.

"Talk all you want Potty, but just you wait..." Draco had finally joined in the conversation.

Harry was starting to feel a little light headed from all the blood rushing to his head, wondering when would Ron and Hermione notice them.

"Wait for what? Your father is in prison or have you forgotten who put him there? Oh yeah it was me and my friends right? He and his lord got beaten by five 15 year olds!" Harry said gleefully.

Harry quickly mouthed 'I'm sorry' to Draco who didn't look like he felt the least disturbed about the comment. Just when Harry thought he might pass out from all the blood going to his head, his Gryffindor friends came on the scene.

Ron cursed Blaize out of nowhere who had been still holding Harry in the air. From the lost of concentration Harry landed hard on the Stone floor, and he couldn't hold in the ear-piercing scream when his damaged ribs and the stone collided together. His scream caused all of his friends Slytherins and Gryffindors alike to look at him with expressions varying from shock, disbelief, and horror.

McGonagall chose that moment to come around the corner where she stood in shock at the scene before her. Against her protests Harry struggled to get to his feet, he really wished Snape had been the one to find him like this; He didn't want to deal with her. Ignoring his Head of House's disapproving eye and his friend's concerned expressions Harry slowly made his way to the Great Hall.

He knew he couldn't make it to the infirmary alone. He walked in trying not to breathe hard, tears in his eyes he refused to let fall he walked to the nearest table, not even realizing it was the Slytherins until he noticed Pansy looking at him in concern before the expression was blanked. But Harry couldn't bring himself to care. Poppy was sitting at the Head table next to Snape, so Harry decided to walk up there to her. Wincing at every step, by the time he got up there all the teachers were staring at him.

"Madame Pompfrey, sorry for disturbing you. But when are you going back to the infirmary?" Harry asked gasping in pain, and ignoring the concerned eyes of his potion's master that he felt.

"Now, Mr. Potter, let's go." She stood up immediately. Everyone knew that Harry hated the infirmary and would resist every attempt to bring him there. And it frightened her to know that something serious must be wrong for him to come to her all on his own.

Harry walked with Poppy ignoring the stares; after all by now he was used to them. He leaned on her heavily as they made their way to the hospital. When they arrived Theo who was eating dinner stopped after noticing the look on Harry's face.

"What's going on? Theo asked in concern his eyes following Harry's.

"Bruised my already bruised ribs, think I might've re-broken a few, Harry replied casually.

"Yes Mr. Potter you are indeed correct, you have re-broken 3 ribs, fractured another and your wrist we working on has been injured as well. How on earth did this happen?" Poppy asked, appalled at the boy. What had he been doing from Severus's quarters to the Great Hall?

Not wanting to get anyone in trouble Harry said nothing as he took his potions, ignoring Poppy all together. He sighed happily when the pain potion took effect and reached for the sandwich on the tray by the bed. He hadn't known how she had known he hadn't yet eaten. But he could see now that his picnic with his friends was not going to happen today.

"I should get back to Snape, can I leave now?" He asked quickly, hoping she would drop the subject.

"I'm still waiting to know what caused this Harry Potter," Poppy said her gaze told him she wasn't fooled at his attempts to get her to forget.

"Of course Poppy but can I tell you later?" Harry pleaded out with a sigh.

"Alright, I suppose you can. If you can tell Severus I have already given you a pain reliever and don't forget to tell him when you need another one. Why don't you take the floo over the walk might do more harm than good?" She told him, not wanting anymore incidents to come up. He wasn't even partially healed and she didn't want him to do anymore damage.

Harry tensed there was no way in heck that he was going to take the floo, he hated traveling that way regardless of how quick it was.

"No that's okay, I need the exercise," Harry replied before he quickly sped walked out of the infirmary before she could ask more questions. He munched on his impromptu dinner hoping his friend's weren't blaming themselves.

By the time Harry got to Snape's quarters, Snape was pacing in the sitting room. But when he saw Harry he ran to him wand already casting a diagnostic scan.

"You've re-broken a few ribs, how did this come about? I've spoken with Minerva and she told me that Weasley and Granger saw my Slytherins hurting you; is that true?" Severus asked him quietly.

"Well Ron Pushed Bla....err Zabini and I was dropped from the spell that he had cast," Harry replied carefully.

"What spell was he casting?" Severus asked him seriously.

"The one that I saw in you're... I mean I don't know." Harry blushed as he realized what he almost said. Thankfully Snape didn't comment on it. "May I lie down sir?" Harry asked lest Snape think on what he said.

"You may but Minerva told me Weasley and Granger where you were and they wish to see you," Severus said his scowl showing him just what he thought about that.

"Oh okay, in that case I guess I'll just talk to them out here," Harry replied quickly. He didn't want to even go down that road, knowing how Hermione was.

"What's wrong with your room?" Snape asked confused.

"Nothing I just don't want them in there, not to mention if they know that I'm in front of you they'll refrain from acting like my parents. That really gets on my nerves; especially Hermione basically telling me how to do something, as if I don't have a mind of my own." Harry stated heatedly.

"They are your friends are they not? Why don't you just tell them you don't appreciate it when they treat you like a child?" Severus said as if it was obvious.

"Knowing me I'll offend them, Gryffs can be just as dramatic as Puffs," Harry said with a smirk remembering a few times his statement had rang true.

Before the man could reply to that, there was a knock and then the portrait announced that 2 people were at the door. Severus headed into the kitchen to keep an ear out in case the boy needed him.

Harry noticed Ron and Hermione looking around, but he couldn't fault them knowing he had the same reactions when he had first entered his teacher's quarters. He frowned at the look on Hermione's face, groaning inwardly as he recognized it and hated it.

"Hey Harry," Ron said as he took a seat on the chair across from his friend and really looked at him.

"Hey Ron," Harry replied back noticing the pensive look that Ron was giving him but before he could even ask why Hermione started in.

Why do they have you staying with Professor Snape?" Hermione demanded.

"He's teaching me ‘Remedial Potions' since my visions have returned," Harry lied swiftly, his eyes meeting Ron's surprisingly worried blue eyes.

"When will you be able to return?" Ron asked quietly.

"I'm not sure, you remember what happened to Sirius? I usually have them at night and he needs to be close to prevent any possessions," Harry replied truthfully. Well that was the truth in a sense, but not why he was staying with Snape.

"Oh okay, I think I understand mate. Did you know that Dumbledore lifted your Quidditch ban off? Now you can play this year," Ron told him excitedly eager to get off the topic of Voldemort.

If Harry was being honest with himself, he could care less about Quidditch right now. All he missed was flying which he got to do anyways. But he knew he couldn't tell Ron that; not when he was taking the news of Harry staying with Snape so well. Which also had him furrowing his brows in disbelief. Just why was Ron taking this so well?

"Really? No the Headmaster didn't tell me that; then again I haven't had my talk with him yet. We are so going to win the house cup this year Slytherin doesn't have a chance." Harry replied excitedlytrying to get Ron pumped up so the subject could fully change.

Ron was about to reply in his eager tone until Hermione came in once more, with her bossy know-it-all tone. That always irked Harry to no end.

"Harry how are you doing, I mean really doing?" She asked bossily.

Harry smiled as he answered, hoping to sustain her if he was being honest. "I'm fine Mione." He could tell that she was annoyed to see that he really did seem alright, she couldn't find any fault in him at all. So she tried again.

"But how are you coping Harry, I mean after losing Sirius you've got to be feeling a bit guilt at least. You've got to talk it out with somebody Harry," she told him smartly;.

Harry's eyes narrowed as his magic suddenly pulsed throughout the room, how dare she. Once again she had stuck her foot in her mouth. He was glad that the thought of Sirius no longer made him feel like he was getting stabbed in the heart over and over again. And the guilt she was talking about was not existent since it wasn't his fault Sirius had died. Not sure what happened to his grief as he thought that over he didn't dwell on it. Maybe he was finally starting to heal.

"Hermione!" Ron admonished; appalled at what she had just said, had she no tact. Not to mention where the hell had that come from?

"Well its true Ron," she defended her self. "I've read about the stages of grief, he's obviously in the denial stage. Harry must talk about it to get over it. Besides he's probably lying about he's really feeling anyway Ron. I'm telling you Harry I know what I'm talking about you don't. Harry, Sirius would not...." But she was interrupted by both Harry and Ron this time.

Harry had enough, where the hell was Snape? Oh well he could handle this himself, he didn't need anyone. Reining his magic to where it only covered Hermione, he knew this would frighten her but right now she needed to be scared. How dare she say those accusations about him? She stared at him fear and shock the prominent emotions on her face. Ron said nothing, although Harry had to admit that e did look like he was trying to control his own magic from lashing out. He gave his friend a grin before subtly shaking his head knowing the red-head knew what he meant.

"For the record Hermione, everyone deals with grief differently. And don't you EVER come in here talking to me like that, as if I'm fragile, or like a child that needs to have his hand held. I'm telling you right now you won't like what I'm going to do. You will get to see firsthand why the darkest wizard of all time fears me. You feel my magic don't you? She nodded; good it's angry with you right now as is Ron's." (For Ron's magic had finally joined in and enclosed her in as well) His face was as red as his hair and he stood there glaring at her with his fists clenched.

"How dare you Mione, Harry looks happier than I've ever seen him around this time of year and you're sitting there trying to dissect him? What the bloody hell is your problem?" Ron asked angrily.

Harry quirked an eyebrow at that; since when was Ron this mature? Could the attack with the brains at the ministry have something to do with it? Did he want to know? Not really but he was proud of his friend.

At that moment Severus finally walked back into the sitting room, noticing and freezing in the same moment at the displays of magic. If he hadn't heard what Granger has said, he would've felt sorry for her but he did and he doesn't. The boys seemed to have their magic under control as they had them wrapped around Granger's body. All in, it was almost certainly a traumatic experience for her, but Severus couldn't do anything for her. If he barged in they could lose control and she would definitely get hurt. When the tears in Granger's eyes started to fall the boy's brought their magic back in, ignoring Granger completely.

"We still got it Harry," Ron said as he high fived Harry about their self control. He grinned having missed doing that with his friend, it had been too long.

"I know mate, man I miss doing that. Remember when we did it in 3rd year and that 6th year Ravenclaw wet his pants?" Harry said laughing at the image.

"Yeah I do, he deserved it though; you don't pick on a 1st year even if they are in Slytherin," Ron replied honestly.

Severus shook his head, did he really know any of the kids, since when did Weasley defend a snake? Clearly he underestimated the children in front of him. If he would've done that at a meeting it would have cost him his life.

Harry smiled to himself he could see the confusion all over Snape's eyes, serves him right, not every Gryffindor tolerates bullying. He was glad that Ron had proved him wrong and angry that Hermione hadn't. He didn't was to deal with her and thankfully Snape spoke up.

"Miss Granger, please exit my quarters. And before you come back I would go over exactly what you said to Harry and what he felt when you said it. I hope that you understand that books aren't always right." Severus snarled at her.

They watched as she walked out tears still falling down her face, with her head down but no one said a thing to call her back. When she had the closed the door behind her Harry finally sighed in relief.

"Thanks Professor!" He called out before disappearing into his room.

Severus shook his head at Harry's silly antics but he wasn't going to deny the child his little fun. He looked at Weasley who looked torn between wanting to go with Harry but not sure he could.

"Ron where are you? Get in here!" Harry yelled out when it became apparent that his friend hadn't followed him.

"Is it okay sir that I go back there?" Ron asked quietly, after all this wasnt his house and regardless of what Harry said, this was Snape they were talking about.

Severus had to wonder since when was Weasley polite, especially to him?

"It's Harry's room; as long as you don't treat him like Granger did you'll be fine." He told the child. Severus grinned as he saw Harry come running back in and grabbed Ron who was gaping in shock at Severus's expression.

"You broke him Professor," Harry exclaimed in amusement as he dragged Ron to his room.

Severus chuckled; if that's all it took to unnerve him, imagine if he actually smiled. Severus went into his lab thinking about how his life had changed in so little time, for the better he was sure of it. He had only just pulled out a cauldron when the familiar burning feeling went through his left arm. He put on his cloak and held his mask in his hand and ran out to the Hogwarts boundary line, and apparated to the Dark Lord's side. Occluding his mind, not focusing on anything but the meeting he was attending just in case the Dark Lord, tried to read his mind, he got into his role as a Death Eater.

To be continued...
Chapter 8: Where do I belong? by Severus Draconis Potter

*Parsel-Tongue*

~Sorting hat~

Harry was currently listening to Ron talk about a Quidditch game of the Chudley Cannons he had seen this past summer; when he suddenly felt the searing pain in his scar. The pain was so intense he hurriedly occluded his mind and tried to keep an eye out at the same time. Voldemort was holding a meeting, and Snape was there.

What the hell? Harry hadn't even heard him leave; he vaguely noticed Ron had stopped talking. He put a hand up when the red-headed boy looked to be about to say something. He was so glad that he found the secret to shielding his mind, and that he could no longer feel Voldemort's curses.

The Evil man was definitly angry about something and the Death eaters were getting cursed left and right. Harry was just glad that he can no longer feel their pain and therefore didn't sympathize with them.

He sat here silently staring to get the gist of the meeting but realizing that he's being a bad host he reluctantly comes out of his mind to finish talking with Ron who is looking at him with what looks like a hint....of pride.

"Snape taught you that?" He asked in bit of awe at the display his friend had just shown.

Harry nodded silently even though he knew Snape didn't do a thing. How could he explain this to Ron without sound crazy or worse without making Ron jealous like in 4th year?

"Wicked mate, then you should be back in Gryffindor Tower soon huh?" Ron asked eagerly.

"No," Harry replied softly.

"Why not, you've nearly got it down packed right?" Ron asked in confusion.

"Yeah but that's not the whole reason why I have to stay with Snape," Harry mumbled out resigning himself to having to tell this story all over again.

"What's the rest of the reason?" He asked quietly, noticing how their conversation had taken a turn on the serious side once more.
As much as he felt he didn't want to truly know, he wanted Harry to tell him. He was best friend and he wanted to help the other teen anyway he could.

Harry sighed quietly before he nodded "Do you remember last week when you and Granger came to visit me in the hospital?" At the moment Hermione wasn't his friend and he wouldn't call her by her given name.

"Yeah what was that about mate?" Ron asked worriedly remembering the scared feeling in his chest at something happening to Harry. He ignored Harry's call at Hermione, some battles weren't meant to be fought.

"The Dursleys happened, and I almost died but Snape saved me." Harry winced as he waited for Ron's reaction.

"He did? Well alright then," Ron replied after a quiet moment of silence as he thought that over.

Harry stared open-mouthed at Ron for a minute before finally replying as he came back to his senses. "Ron are you sure you're okay? You hate Snape remember?"

"Naw I never hated him as a person, I hated how he treated you but that was it," Ron admitted as if it was no big deal.

"Who are you and what the hell have you done to Ron?" Harry asked suspiciously his wand falling tightly into his hand as he pointed it at the impostor's chest. There was no way in hell this was his Ron, even if he did look like them.

"Harry calm down, it's me I promise. I just grew up a bit over the summer; it was bound to happen right?" Ron replied sheepishly, though he hadn't pulled his wand out. He didn't feel threatened, as this was Harry he was talking about.

"Okay," Harry replied warily. His wand hadn't moved and inch from where it was pointed, and he stood there tensed for battle. So he was being a bit paranoid but the Ron he knew was as stubborn as they come.

Ron eyed him for a few seconds before sighing. "In our 3rd year we went to the Shrieking Shack. And there, we found out that Pettigrew was Scabbers, Remus was a werewolf, and Sirius was your Godfather and a grim like dog. Who might I add, bit my leg to get to Pettigrew who escaped when Remus transformed and almost killed us. Believe me now?" Ron said cockily with a smirk of his own.

Harry blushed at the explanation as he realized this was indeed his friend and he was holding him at wand point. Embarrassed he put his wand away. "Yeah sorry mate, I guess I'm a bit paranoid but you're.. different," Harry stated before he shook his head in disbelief.

"No problem mate, I'd be freaked out too, I know the twins were, mum was so proud of me. But it was a bit embarrassing if you ask me, she kept sniffling every time she looked at me and cooing; 'my little Ronnie's growing up'." Ron blushed as he realized what he said but it was the truth.

"It took you long enough," Harry said punching his friend playfully.

"Yeah well, some people mature faster then others. And others like me are just too thickheaded," he said with a grin.

"Well I'm happy whatever the reason," Harry told him quietly.

"So am I, you need all the friends you can get this year. So don't you worry I'm not going anywhere," he promised him.

Harry found himself having to look away, the loyalty that seemed to be pouring off of Ron was coming off in a big wave. He couldn't believe it. He only hoped that Ron would be this supportive when he told him about the Slytherins, and he would because he honestly couldn't keep this away from the teen. The Weaselys were his family. He was shook out of his thoughts when he saw the red-headed teen stand up and stretch.

"I'd better go, curfew is in a bit and I don't want Filch to catch me. You gonna be okay alone down here?" Ron asked seriously.

"Yeah he should be back soon," Harry told him easily. "See ya Ron,"

"Later Harry," he said before making his way out the room and then the quarters.

When Ron left Harry found himself shaking his head to ward off those thoughts that made him want to cut. He didn't trust himself to be alone right now and he wished that he hadn't told Ron he was okay. He got up quickly intended on going after the other teen when he froze as he became aware of something.

Now would be the perfect time to let Draco and Daphne see how he was; not to mention poor Blaize. Harry hoped they weren't torturing him. He took the secret passage that led him directly into the common room by hissing the password. He stepped in waving to a few people before quickly going up the stairs to the 6th year dorms where his friends were lounging about.

"Hey guys, Hope I didn't get you in trouble?" Harry asked warily as he took seat on Draco's bed.

"No it's not your fault, I fucking dropped you. And and then I made you re-brake your ribs," Blaise said guiltily as he gave his friend a horrified look. "I'm so sorry,"

"Not your fault Blaise, really it barely even hurt," he lied then found himself wincing at the remembered pain.

"Right that's why you screamed like that and nearly gave me a heart attack," Daphne replied with a knowing look of her own that said they weren't fooled. "That scream scared the crap outta me Harry," she admitted.


"Who you telling? Daphne had to grab my arm to stop me from rushing to your side," Draco added in quietly.

"Enough about that, how..." but Harry was interrupted trying to change the subject.

"You were hurt, and now you're trying to play it off like you weren't? What the hell Harry?" Theo asked in disbelief.

"Because I've had worse and I want to show you a secret I found. And sitting here talking about this is wasting time," Harry said before he shrugged and got off the bed before walking out the door, knowing they would follow him.

"I hate it when he does that," Draco muttered out, frowning as he got up and followed Harry out the door.

"Where are we going?" Daphne asked the group trudged down the steps.

"I'll tell you in a second when we get out of the common room," Harry said excitedly, as he wanted to show them this particular secret for quite some time.

Knowing that Harry rarely was happy they didn't say anything to erase that smile on his face. Even when the teen in question led them to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. The looks of disgust were on all their face's except for the raven-haired teen.

Harry took a moment to settle himself as he looked around the bathroom. Here laid the place where he had almost died. It felt like forever ago instead of just a week ago.

"Hey Myrtle," Harry said casually as he walked towards the sinks.

Ignoring both her and his friends he walked over to the sink with the snake on it. He smirked at his friends before brightly hissing "Open" in parsel-tongue. Snickering at the gasps behind him he hissed; "stairs" and they appeared. Grabbing Daphne's hand he started down the stairs.

"Welcome to the Chamber of Secrets guys," Harry said cheerfully.

He turned around to see their expression, and it was a comical sight. Disbelief was the main emotion and Harry laughed which snapped them out of their stupor.

"Are you shitting me? Is this really Slytherin's Chamber of secrets?" Draco asked unable to believe his eyes.

"Oh it is, come here I'll show you the skin of the basilisk," Harry said eagerly, not noticing the blonde boy suddenly go even paler then his pale skin. He led them to the snake skin, making his way over to Blaize who seemed to be the only one brave enough to touch it.

"You have no idea how much this is worth do you?" He asked his friend in a choked whisper.

"Nope, I take it it's quite a lot?" Harry asked curiously.

"That's saying it lightly," Theo laughed as they pulled their friend away from the skin and headed towards the mouth of the Chamber.

Harry was joking with his friends when he suddenly heard it and froze as he heard something that shouldn't be here. He let go of Daphne's hand, alerting them all that something was up.

"What is it?" Blaize asked, his wand already out.

"I don't know, wait here. I think I heard something," Harry told them as he started walking through the chamber.

"Dammit Harry, don't be a Gryffindor," Draco hissed out angrily as his friend dropped from view.

Harry wasn't being a Gryffindor, if he heard correctly, the last thing he wanted was loss of lives from his friend. As he walked closer he heard another soft hiss, so the snakes in the portrait had been right apparently.

~Whossse there? Was the soft hiss he heard.~

~Hi there, I'm Harry~

~Master?~

~If you want me to be~

Harry stood still as a snake came through the door it was about the size of an adult python, but it was only just a baby he could see that now. He held out his arm and it covered his stomach and torso.

*What's your name little one, Harry asked unafraid.

~I don't have one young speaker~

~Well how about, are you male or female? Harry asked curiously~

~Male~

~How about Sssssssammy~

~Ssssssammy it is young sssspeaker, now we bond~

Before he could blink, a light surrounded them and then he found himself bonded to the friendly snake named Sammy.

*Sssammy I've got sssome friendssss I want you to meet, you are not to harm them okay? And after you meet then I'll ssssee about getting you ssssomething to eat. You are hungry right?*

*Yessss Harry I underssssstand, and Yessss I am hungry*

Harry walked back to his friends who had found or cleaned a place to sit down. When he approached them he watched in amusement how they all took a step back. About to be offended Sammy hissed and Harry remembered the snake around his waist.

"You guys can come in and see the Chamber, and look at the giant basilisk corpse," he said as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

"Harry, what is that around your body?" Daphne asked warily.

"A snake," Harry replied with a smirk.

"Smart ass. She meant to say; that better not be a baby basilisk," Theo replied his eyes wide in horror.

"And if it is?" Harry remarked casually.

"Each to their own," Theo replied quickly, he wasn't stupid in the slightest.

"He won't hurt you, and his name is Sammy," Harry replied smiling brightly at his friends. Well at least until he took in the scared expression on Draco's face, he had forgotten about Dray's fear of snakes despite the fact that it was the mascot of his house.

"I promise Drake he won't even touch you," Harry promised, before moving so he was on the other side of Blaise the furthest away from Draco. Harry sighed as Draco slightly relaxed his shoulders.

"Well let's see the rest of it," Draco said quietly, but to be honest he just wanted to get out the Chamber before they found more snakes.

By the time Harry got finished showing them the Chamber, curfew was going to be in 10 minutes. He showed them the passage that would lead directly into the common room. They left and Harry went and showed Sammy the tunnel that led to the forbidden forest where he could hunt to his heart's content.

He bade Sammy goodbye before leaving for Snape's quarters. Harry was about 45 minutes late for curfew, he cringed. He was hoping that Snape wasn't back from the meeting yet. But when he got to Salazar he knew that it wasn't to be.

*Where were you young speaker, Severus is out of his mind with worry; not to mention how furious he is.*

*I was in the Chamber of Secrets checking out my new baby basilisk familiar, I named him Sammy.*

*Tomorrow I want to know everything, but tonight best not keep Severus waiting.*

Harry grimaced at the thought of his guardian being angry before hissing; *Lily Flower*

Harry stepped in Snape's quarters as quietly as he could and made his way toward his room. He was almost there when Snape appeared out of nowhere; neither said anything for a moment they just stared at one another. Harry was happy to see that Snape didn't look hurt, thinking that while Voldemort was mad he probably didn't want to do anything to damage his Potions Master.

Severus was trying to rein in his anger before he spoke to the child; it wouldn't do either of them any good if he lost his temper.

Harry looked as Snape struggled not to yell and he involuntarily took a step back. His gaze however was glued on Snape's hands. Which is why, when his Professor raise his arm to run a hand through his hair; Harry flinched back noticeably and raised his arms to shield his face.

Severus stared at the child in alarm he wasn't going to hit the child. He quickly tried to reassure Harry who had let his arms downs and was now blushing in shame.

"I wasn't going to hit you Harry; I was just about to run my fingers through my hair," he told the child carefully.

"I know that," Harry mumbled out embarrassingly. It usually took about a month or so for him to tone down his flinches after a summer with his relatives. But he could usually joke it off, but now with Snape he didn't think he could.

"If you know, then why did you react the way you did?" Severus pointed out.

"It was a reflex, every raise hand could be hit you never know. To protect your face you need to be on guard, always," he replied simply.

Severus said nothing, what could he say the boy had spoken the truth. How many times did he think the same thing after a summer with Tobias? The Dursleys were going to get theirs he would make sure of it. Severus shook his head, and went back to the current situation at hand.

"Where were you Harry?" He asked tiredly.

"Visiting my pet," he replied softly. Harry didn't feel like lying and that was true technically Sammy was his pet.

"You do know curfew was 45 minutes ago don't you?" Severus asked him with a sigh.

"Yes sir, but I really needed to get away," he replied honestly.

"What was troubling you so much that you left without leaving a note, letting me know that you might be a bit late for curfew?" Severus prodded.

Harry quickly thought it through, he could tell Snape about his urges but he really wanted to know about the meeting and what exactly Voldemort was angry about since he couldn't listen in due to Ron being there with him.

"I saw the meeting," Harry breathed out watching Snape's reaction.

Severus's eyes tighten as he neutrally replied, "Oh, did you?"

"Yeah, only I couldn't really pay much attention because Ron was here with me," he found himself admitting.

"No matter, did you hear anything that interested you enough to tell me or the Headmaster?" Severus asked anyway, needing to make sure.

"No, as I said I didn't want to be rude since Ron was here too. He was really angry though because he was cursing everyone, and that usually hurts since I can feel their pain," Harry replied as an afterthought.

"Are you in pain now?" Severus asked his eyes flashing worriedly to his ward.

"No, for some reason I didn't feel anything today which was good for me," Harry said with a small smile.

"Did he notice that you were there?" Severus continued questioning.

"No sir," he said happily.

"Very well, tomorrow I will speak to the Headmaster about you getting Occlumency lessons again," Severus told him quietly.

Harry bowed his head; it was now or never;

"I'm sorry for looking into your Pensieve last year. I was angry that no one would tell me anything and I thought that you might have had information since your both Dumbledore and the Dark Lords right hand man. I didn't tell anyone what I saw either, except for Remus and Sirius and that's only because I wanted to know why they did it. I also would like to apologize of on behalf of Sirius Black on the way he treated you because he was my Godfather and on behalf of my father James Potter who treated you like Dudley did me, but with magic. You didn't deserve that sir, and I was ashamed of them both. I hope you can accept my apology," Harry managed to get out.

Not wanting to face the possible rejection of his heartfelt apology, Harry turned to run to his room, but stopped and spoke again.

"I wanted you to know that I forgive you sir, even if you don't ever forgive me, I forgive you and I thank you for saving my life year after year when you didn't have to, goodnight," he said as his parting words before he sprinted for his room.

One there Harry got changed and hid under the bed. After making his self so vulnerable out there, his bed didn't feel secure enough. And he found himself once more actually longing for the safety of his cupboard, but under the bed would do. He laid his weary head down on the floor and fell asleep.

Severus was still staring at the spot Harry had stood at 15 minutes before. Still shocked that the child had apologized to him and not to mention that the child had also forgiven him, he didn't know what to do. Severus sighed why did the child always seemed to run away whenever they had a serious discussion. Harry Potter had also apologized on behalf of his deceased godfather and deceased father to Severus Snape their favorite victim.

Severus didn't know what to think, but Harry needed to know that he was forgiven. Even though Snape still felt betrayed when he thought about the ‘Pensieve incident'; he couldn't blame the boy. After all they were all under orders by the Headmaster to tell Harry nothing. Look where that got them; a child so broken and fragile, hurt and afraid to trust the same adults who didn't trust him. Severus knocked on Harry's door but he didn't hear anything on the other side so he opened it.

Expecting to see Harry on the bed but he wasn't anywhere in sight. Where could the child be? Severus thought, he had seen him run in here and hadn't seen or heard him leave; so he knew that Harry had to be in here. He checked in the closet, than looked around the room there really wasn't that many places for a child to hide.

He walked over to the bed and bent down to check under it, there was the child lying on the floor curled up in a ball. Severus pulled Harry from underneath the bed and lifted him and put him on the bed. After tucking him in (which he would later deny) he spelled the room and walked out, determined to get to the bottom of Harry's strange behavior.

When Severus woke up the next morning, thanking Merlin that it was a Saturday he figured today would be a good day to visit Surrey. He headed over to the Headmaster's office knowing that Minerva would be there, she was along with that wretched werewolf.

"Good morning Albus, Minerva, Wolf," he said in a nuetral tone.

They all exchanged bemused expressions at that last one and he raise an eyebrow before launching in his idea. Headmaster be damned if he tried to stop him, after all he's the one who left Harry in the care of those horrid people.

"I just wanted to see if Minerva would accompany me this morning to a student's house, we need to have a discussion about their choices in discipline towards the child in their care," he spoke cryptically and looked pointedly at her hoping she'd get the message.

She did as did the Wolf but Severus figured this would work in their favor, besides the Dursleys deserved a good scare for how they treated Harry.

"Perhaps Remus could come too, don't you think Severus?" Minerva asked, clearly they were both thinking the same thing.

"And what student would that be?" The headmaster asked his eyes twinkling.

"It's of no importance Albus, we'll take care of everything," Severus turned to Remus then. "Do you think you might want to come with us Lupin?"

"Why thank you Severus, I think I will," Remus replied with a smirk.

"Don't worry Albus, I'll keep Severus under control," Minerva replied smiling at the man.

"But who will keep you under control Minnie?" Albus replied grinning in return, they weren't fooling him for one minute.

"I'll behave myself, don't you worry," Minerva said with a glint in her eye.

"Very well, I guess I'll have that talk with Harry then," Albus told them.

"Do keep in mind that his emotions are fragile, wouldn't want to lose anymore trinkets do you Albus?" Severus warned lowly.

"Right you are my boy, no lasting damage to them, can't have you in jail. How would that help Harry?" Albus replied as he rubbed his beard thoughtfully. "For all that you say you hate him Severus, you're sounding like an overprotective parent," Albus said chuckling.

Severus scowled, "If that is all then we best be off now," he said then strolled out of the room with Remus and Minerva grinning behind him.

Harry awoke alone; he knew Snape was gone by how still it was. There was a breakfast tray by his bed with his potions and a note that only said; "You'd better eat breakfast. And if you don't, trust me I will know."

Harry smirked, not wanting to cross the man over something so simple he ate and almost finished it all. He smiled to himself happily as he realized that his stomach was growing again. As he was finishing up his potions, Fawkes appeared in front of him with a letter. After he grabbed it, the phoenix flashed away.

He sighed loudly before suddenly throwing the note on his bed not even bothering to read it. He already knew that he had to talk to the Headmaster, funny how the man chose the day when Snape was away. Harry wondered where Snape was all the while he got dressed.

He picked up the note to check to see if there was a password but there was none, what was he going to do? He could floo over but his heart started pounding at that very thought, not to mention he was supposed to be taking it easy. As he was stressing on what to do, he heard a knock at the door. He answered it and it was Ron, he smiled to himself this was perfect.

Ron knew of his aversion to flooing and when he asked his friend if he would floo to the Headmaster's office with him he agreed without hesitation. After stumbling once before Ron caught him, Harry promised to meet him in Gryffindor tower after the meeting so they could do something later. When Ron had left Harry looked up to see the Headmaster twinkling eyes gazing back at him, after denying the offered lemon drops, their talk began.

"Harry my dear boy , from the bottom of my heart, I wish to apologize to you about brushing off your concerns each year. I admit I was focused on the bigger picture but I had forgotten the sacrifices I had to make to get that. My ignoring you was tempting fate so to speak, and we don't need another Dark lord on our hands because of my atrocious decisions," Albus started off carefully.

Throughout the Headmaster's apology Harry hadn't moved an inch, and his expression remained blank and uncaring for the most part but inside he was seething. He had fooled his teachers and peers alike for the past 5 years and so he was able to catch what the Headmaster had said. Was this why Tom had become evil? Children are not born good or evil, they learn those behaviors.

Something just doesn't add up at moment, vowing to think on it later he shook the thought away and said nothing. The Headmaster wouldn't get off that easy, and he wasn't naïve an innocent like they thought he was, he had seen too many things in his life, most of them here.

"Harry I know that I insisted that you stay at the Dursleys because of the blood wards. And while I regret that slightly now, I feel I should point out that they did keep you safe my boy," the old man pointed out.

"From the Dark Lord they kept me safe, not from my relations. Besides if he knew the address of the house he could have easily gotten me at anytime. After the events of 4th year he lives on because of my blood. Or had you forgotten that little detail?" Harry asked quietly.

He knew that he was unsettling the old man by referring to Tom as the Dark Lord; but after all the old man had put in through he didn't care. The trust Harry had with the Headmaster was gone and Albus was going to have to work hard to get it back. Harry was nobody's fool, it was time the old man became aware of that.

"I just can't apologize enough Harry, I truly have failed you," Albus finished sadly.

"That you have Headmaster," Harry smirked channeling his inner Slytherin as he found that he had an idea.

Albus sighed softly as he popped one of his lemon drops in his mouth. Hoping that he hadn't caused the child to turn his back on the light side. He gave the child another sad look, what had he done? "I truly am sorry," he added.

"Of course you are Headmaster, but I'm not feeling very charitable at the moment," Harry said slowly.

Albus frowned as he took in the boy's words. "Can you find it in your heart to forgive an old man's mistakes?"

Harry smirked here, at the question his Slytherin side coming out full force. "You might be able to make a little bit of that lost of trust up to me, if you're interested I mean," he said carefully.

"Of course my boy," Albus replied happy that he hadn't lost Harry like he did Tom.

It was just luck that Lily and James Potter hadn't come back to haunt him; because of his blindness Harry had almost died, and according to Severus the child did die he was just brought back to life. He would do anything to fix the wrong on his behalf that the child had suffered.

"I need to have a word with the Sorting Hat; I believe that I belong to another house," Harry said matter of factually.

"Are you sure about this Harry?" Albus asked an unsettling feeling appearing in his stomach.

Even though Albus had known Harry was right, he had a feeling that he wouldn't like the results. But at the moment his hands were tied by his own rope and Severus not to mention Remus would hurt him if he hurt that child anymore. He wouldn't put it past Minnie either.

"Very Headmaster, Do we have an agreement or not?" Harry grinned inwardly, wondering how the the old man felt when he was the one being manipulated. He could see judging by the frown on his face he didn't like it so much either.

"Very well Harry; Accio Sorting Hat," Albus sighed but there was nobody to blame but his self, he handed the hat to Harry.

Harry smiled brightly as he took the hat and before the old man could change his mind, he slipped the hat on, the brim covering his eyes.

~We meet again Mr. Potter; I have talked to you more than any other student since I've first started sorting. What can I help you with? ~

"I wanted to know if I can be re-sorted into another house but keep my old house? In essence is it possible for students to be in 2 houses?" If not then I'll just choose Slytherin, everyone else can kick rocks," he decided with a snicker.

~There have been a few students who have gotten sorted into 2 houses. It's usually a Hufflepuff-Gryffindor combination, along with a Ravenclaw-Slytherin, they've had every match except for Gryffindor-Slytherin. But I suppose there is a first time for everything, and I can't think of any student that would fit both houses except for yourself as you well know. It's a shame not to many take the time to look pass the boy-who-lived persona and see the real you under it.~

"Does that mean yes, you're going to do it?" Harry didn't dare hope, knowing his luck he'd just set himself up for disappointment.

~None of that, I finally get my wish to sort you into the house that can help you overcome your difficulties Mr. Potter. Trust Severus he knows what you're going through, and he won't give up on you even when you've already given up on yourself.~

A new thought occurred to Harry, was the Sorting Hat allowed to tell the student's secrets?

~No Mr. Potter, not unless they give me a reason to doubt their sanity or I fear they may harm themselves or others.~

Harry said nothing, but it was well worth the risk. Besides they already knew about his self-injuring habit, as for the other reason he refused to think about it. At least at this very moment and instead focused on the task at hand.

"So what will it be?" Harry asked, unconsciously holding his breath in anticipation.

~Better be....SLYTHINDOR! ~

"You gotta say it where the Headmaster can know what you mean. That house doesn't exist," Harry replied laughing. If hats could smirk that one would have.

~Better be....GRYFFINDOR AND SLYTHERIN! Do come back and talk with me Mr. Potter won't you? I do enjoy our talks immensely and I would love to know how Slytherin house will treat you. But judging by the thoughts in your head there probably won't be any difference.~

"Will do," Harry replied easily.

He kept his face neutral as he took in the Headmaster's expression. Harry was elated at the fact that he now officially a Slytherin and he couldn't wait to tell Draco and Daphne about what happened.

"Harry, maybe its best if we kept this quiet don't you think, my boy?" Albus tried.

Harry's eyes narrowed at the implication of the man's word. "No Headmaster I don't want to hide. Besides the castle probably already added another bed in the Slytherin common Room the minute the sorting hat announced it. You want me to be ashamed of one of my houses? If that's the case then I'll deny Gryffindor. They turn on me every year anyways," Harry replied coolly,

"No of course not, I juts meant we'll tell everyone when you are 100% better," Albus said quickly.

"Sure Headmaster," Harry had no intention of keeping this info to himself, it was time the Headmaster realized that Harry was his own person and not a pawn to be played with.

"Oh, one other thing Harry, I just wanted to inform you that your Quidditch ban has been lifted," the old man said knowing that the child would probably relish in that.

"Oh that's good, do you know where Professor Snape is?" Harry asked politely.

"He, Minerva, and Remus are visiting your relatives," Albus replied seeing no reason to lie. If anything he wanted to see what Harry's reaction to that statement would be.

"Is that so? Well I hope they give the Dursleys exactly what they deserve and more," Harry replied smirking at the thought of Vernon trying to go up against Snape.

"Surely you don't mean that, do you Harry?" Albus asked in disbelief at the thought.

"I don't know, do I Headmaster?," he said mockingly before he stood up and stretched. "Oh before I go I had a vision of last night's meeting,"

"You're going to have to resume Occlumency lessons, but you knew that already. Would you prefer to have them with me or with Severus again?" Albus asked giving him a choice this time.

"Professor Snape," Harry replied without missing a beat and casually ignoring the downtrodden expression on his Headmaster's face.

"I will inform Severus when he gets back," the old man replied in a weary tone.

"If that's all may I go?" Harry asked today was a Hogsmead visit and he was planning on going with his cloak and map.

"Of course my boy, I do hope you forgive me Harry," he couldn't help but say. Harry hadn't said that he would and it didn't bode well for the old man.

Harry said nothing as he walked out the door, he could do with a few chocolate frogs, and he hurried back to Snape's quarters to grab his stuff.

 

To be continued...
Chapter 9: Revenge and Betrayal by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Oh yeah, Everything up until the OOTP happened, but I wrote this before the HBP had came out, so it's AU after that so yeah.
Chapter 9: Revenge and Betrayal

Severus, Minerva and Remus had apparated to Surrey under invisible and notice me charms. They made it to the Dursley's house undetected. They took off the charms and knocked on the door. As they door opened it revealed this overweight grotesque man who seemed to have no neck. Severus was already glaring at the man, knowing that this was the man who had damaged Harry's body so and had nearly killed the child in the process. He had a lot to make up for, if he ever could.


"Can I help you with something? The whale asked.


"Yes, you can let us in so that we can discuss the treatment of your nephew Harry Potter," Minvera said tensely.


"Whatever he has told you what we've done, he was lying. That little no good for nothing freak," Vernon spat out, the disgust evident on his face.


"Funny you should mention what he's said to us. He didn't say a thing but your actions seemed to speak for themselves. We've seen the evidence of your work, and I assure we have a problem that needs to be dealt with. Now I would advise that you let us in Dursely, unless you wish for your neighbors to see us curse you from hell to back. And believe you me, we will. We are adult wizards and witches, and unlike Harry no one can stop us from doing magic," Severus said dangerously as he sneered at him.


Severus smirked as Vernon's face went from purple to pale before opening the door and letting them in. Severus looked around noticing there wasn't a single picture of Harry Potter hanging up. From the looks of it you would never know that a 2nd boy lived here, why hadn't anyone checked on the boy? How they could just assume that because Albus said so he was safe?


"Who is it Honey?" Petunia called from the kitchen.


"Bunch of freaks about the boy," Vernon replied out warily.


A lady with a horse like face came through the sitting room, frowning at the wizards and witch sitting on her couch.


"Hello Tuney," Severus scorned at the woman he remembered from his childhood. The old bint had been cruel to him and Lily just because they had magic and she didn't.


"Snape! Whatever the boy has done, he's your problem now, that little freak," Petunia shrilled out.

Snape kept his Occulmency shields high lest he loses control and ends of strangling the woman before they got what they came for. He had never laid a hand on a woman and he wouldn't start now matter how annoying they were, he would never be like his father.


"He hasn't done anything, that whale of a husband of yours nearly killed him. We've been struggling to keep him alive. You are aware that if he dies your world would fall first? You've heard of Voldermort haven't you?" He asked her casually, ignoring the pain that flared through his arm at the use of the Dark Lord's name.


She nodded eyes wide in fear as she took in his words, Lily had told her that when they went into hiding. "I thought he was gone," she whispered out.


"He was for a time but now he's back and the only one who can save us is that child you allowed him to beat. If Harry were to go dark and join the Dark lord, he'll come after you first and that Oaf next to you," Severus said cruelly.


Severus wasn't lying; when Harry finally had enough he wasn't going to stand in his way. He had however had given her something to think on, and that's what he wanted. He left Remus and Minerva downstairs and went looking for Harry's room. He stopped and opened the 1st bedroom; it was filled to the brim with various toys, electrons, games and clothes, definitely not Harry's room. A week ago Severus would have thought otherwise and nobody would be able to tell him different, but now he knew the truth.


Across the hall was a door with a dozen locks on it and a cat flap; he narrowed his eyes, surely they didn't? He entered the small room and froze at the sight in front of him. He instantly saw the bars on the windows, a small broken bed with tattered blanket, and a dresser that had seen better days. Harry Potter Savior of the wizarding world lived here? And no one knew about it, how none of the teachers himself included, never noticed how much this child had suffered, and they saw him 9 months out of every year.


Severus walked around the small room immediately noticing the difference between the 2 boys room. This one was just sad compared to the other one. As he neared the bed he stilled as he stepped on a creaky floorboard. Raising an eyebrow he bent down on the floor to check it out. What he found had him frowning, his murderous thoughts on the muggles down stairs returning ten-fold.

It had old food in it and candy wrappers from school in it; and he would dumb not to understand the implications of this. If Harry hadn't already told him that they starved him, this would have been the proof right here. While he was looking in the floor board he caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of his eye. He grabbed it and surprised soon covered his face as it turned out to be a University level textbook with various notes and homework in it.


Severus reached for another; he started pulling out an assortment of books out and had to stop when he saw that Harry had 7th year books, the work already done, and even ways to make the spell easier to accomplish. He then came across a paper on wandless magic and his eyes nearly bugged out of his head. It showed all of Harry's progress, what was written shouldn't have been possible for anyone, not even Albus. Severus's mind boggled at that, he knew the child was powerful but he never thought he'd accomplish magic like this.


As Severus pulled the last book from under the bed, he stopped again and thought about the child. In his hand was an extremely advance Potions book, one that he didn't even see until he was apprenticing. How did the boy even get it? Where did he know where to look?Looking at the notes, he saw on potion that every Potion's master dreamed of creating and here this 16 year old had damn near done it.

Severus shook his head he would love to have a conversation about this with Harry in the future; he might be able to help him figure out the last ingredient. Severus conjured a satchel and shrunk the books and put them in the bag.


On the way down the steps he startled at the thought that wondered did anyone know the real Harry James Potter. How could they? When he had hid his intelligence from everyone, fooling them in the process, and Severus wanted to know why. He would talk to Harry about this and he wouldn't accept anymore of his mediocre work he'd been handing in, not when he knew that the child could do better. So focused on his thoughts, Severus didn't feel the need to harm the Dursleys, surely they deserved it but all he could feel was pride.


He walked in on Minerva pretending to look out the window while Remus did a variety of spells that wouldn't hurt them. They would just be embarrassed, smelly, and the talk of the neighbors much to Petunia's discomfort. Severus added a few spells of his own, all of their food would taste like garbage and they would dream about every horrible thing they did to Harry for the next 16 years, and in their dreams Harry would be replaced with their baby whale of a son, and they would feel the pain of hurting him like they should have felt when they hurt Harry.


Severus walked out leaving Remus and Minerva in the house it was getting to hard not to Crucio the man, and he'd promised Albus he wouldn't go to Azkaban, for Harry's sake. They finally came out of the house, and Severus hoped Minerva had remembered the Guardianship papers.


"Did they sign the papers Minerva?" He drawled.


"Well Vernon tried to put up a fight, saying that we couldn't have his property," Minerva said the desire to grit her teeth, nearly overwhelming her. The nerve of that bastard!


"Merlin I hope you told him that Harry didn't belong to anybody and he certainly didn't belong to him." Severus said with half a mind to go back into the house.


"I was going to tell him something, but Remus beat me to it," she answered smugly, with a secretive smile on her face.

At that Severus turned to stare at Remus who had a satisfied expression on his face. It looked completely unnatural on the man's face, as he wasn't used to seeing it.


"So you gonna tell me what you did wolf?" Severys finally asked after Remus didn't say anything for about minute.


Remus smiled a feral smile before answering. "I just told him he'd be wise to refrain from talking ill of Harry especially since his pseudo godfather is a werewolf," Remus smirked with a knowing grin, showing all of his teeth.

"After that declaration he pulled the papers from my grasp in his haste to sign them as fast as he could in case Remus decided to attack him here and now," Minerva said grinning.


Severus had to prevent a shudder from happening, and he almost felt sorry for Vernon, because he knew how frightening firsthand how Remus could be.


"Well that's settled, do you know who's going to be his guardian?" Severus asked as they walked to the apparition point.


No one said anything but the identical expressions on both of their faces, told him what their answers were. Amazingly he wasn't torn up or angry about it. He was already taking care of the child anyone, now he would just have it in writing so to speak.


"Let me talk to Harry about it, before I sign anything; I mean this is his future we're dealing with," he said carefully after all the boy was nearly an adult and he had a say in his life.


"Of course Severus," Minerva replied with a wave of her hand trying hard to stiffle the smile at the use of the child's given name.


"Hmm, when did he become Harry to you Severus?" Remus asked hiding a smile.
Severus scowled and ignored that questing and apparated to Hogwarts boundary line. He thought to himself, when did Potter become Harry?


Harry was walking on cloud 9; he was finally a real snake, instead of just an honorary one. If anyone in the hall were to look at him, they'd see this goofy expression covering his whole face; but he didn't care. As he was walking he thought about how this year had changed, and it was only just starting, it was already the best year he'd ever had. Not ready to go to Hogsmead just yet he walked to the Library.


Ignoring Hermione who was sitting by herself, Harry went to see Madame Prince to see if any new books had come in. Harry was annoyed he had left his study books at the Dursleys and he hoped they didn't find them. Oh well if they did, he could always lie about it, say he got them from an older student right? He checked out a Potions book and practically sprinted way from Hermione to was making her way towards him.

He didn't want to talk to her yet, he was not ready to forgive her yet.
He went to the Chamber of Secrets to read and play with Sammy. He doesn't know how long he sat there reading and talking to Sammy, as he didn't have a sense of time down there. The only thing he was aware of was that sometime in the middle of reading he dozed off. The next thing he knew was something was hissing in his ear, and telling him that he was late for dinner.


He jumped up at that he didn't mean to stay down here that long, he was supposed to meet with Ron. And he knew that they were going to be worried about him, Merlin he hoped Ron didn't go to the Headmaster. He exited the chamber and ran full speed for the Great hall, not focusing on anything but getting there.

He would have had made it without incident but as he turned the corner he found himself barreling straight into his Head of House. Somehow he managed to stay upright, which is good because he hated to think of what Snape and Poppy would do to him if he re-injured himself again.


Harry sighed before he looked at her and after making sure she was okay proceeded to walk around her. He wasn't expecting her to reach out and grab his shoulder to stop him though. He couldn't hold back the sudden flinch as he hadn't been expecting to get touch, and turns to glare at her. He was surprised that she actually let go of his shoulder. Harry smiled inwardly, seems like his Snape glare is becoming effective the more time he spends around the man.


"Mr. Potter, might I have a word with you?" She asks softly.


"I'm late for dinner," Harry replied quietlyturning when Snape emerged around the corner.


"Mr. Potter we're you planning to eat tonight?" Severus asked him giving a look, knowing the child couldn't afford to skip meals.


"Yes sir, I was but she held me up." Harry replied glare returning.


Severus shook his head, the boy was really stubborn and would probably hate him for doing this but it had to be done.


"Oh, why don't you eat dinner with Professor McGonagall in her office then? You too can continued whatever talk then," Severus suggested watching Harry's reaction.


Harry kept his blank expression on his face but inside he was fuming, betrayal was the front emotion coursing through his body. Snape knew how Harry felt about her, was this some kind of sick joke? He shook his head he knew he shouldn't have believed Snape. Adults always hurt you in the end; they always tell you one thing then do the other. There was nothing Harry could do so he said nothing only replying that he understood in that lifeless tone of voice he had used in the hospital, knowing that it unsettled his teachers. Serves them right, for making him do this.


The minute Harry agreed in the monotone voice, Severus knew they had taken a step back. But why he didn't know, he knew that the child would be a bit angry with him but that was it. Assuring himself that Harry was fine he returned to the Great Hall to finish his dinner.


Harry followed Professor Mcgonagall to her office where she had a house elf bring them food. Harry didn't touch or eat a thing; he just remained staring at her waiting for her to start speaking.


His emerald green eyes were hard and she felt exposed like he could see right through her to her soul. More than a little uncomfortable and thinking this was a bad idea, she started speaking.


"Mr. Potter, do you know why I wanted to speak with you? I was with Severus today when he visited the Dursleys today," she started off quietly.
But Harry said nothing.


"I owe you an apology Mr. Potter, never in my life had I known you believed that I didn't care for you. I never meant to make it seem like I never listened to you either. I do hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me Harry," Minerva said sadly, feeling the need to use his given name so he could see that she meant every word.


When it looked like she was done with her apology, Harry was at a loss. He didn't know what to say, this entire week have been so surreal. The Headmaster, Snape, and now Mcgonagall had all apologized to him. Why now? What was so special about his 6th year? Harry said nothing; to be honest he didn't think he could speak without losing control.


He shook his head, as figured out what all this meant; it all came down to the prophecy. They all knew he was supposed to be the one to save them, and they wanted to make sure he was on good terms so he would do it. Harry shook his head again at that stupid idea. He was tired of being here, she had said what she wanted to say, and now he could leave. He took a deep breath to calm his self and ask her just that.


"May I leave?" Harry asked politely.


"Are you sure there's nothing you wish to talk to me about?" She said quietly, her tone slightly pleading.


"May I leave now?" Harry repeated, though he didn't bother replying his patience was waning thin. And he needed to get out of this office before he lost it; lose what he didn't know.


Minerva sighed and nodded her head and Harry took off heading for the Chamber of Secrets once again. He arrived gasping for breath; he couldn't understand why Snape had done that to him, when they were getting along fine. His breath hitched, Harry was on the verges of a panic attack, it was becoming hard to breathe and Harry conjured a razor to bring him back down to earth. Before he could cut the blade was knocked out of his hand by Sammy's tail.


Harry turned to his turmoil stricken face to look at his familiar, they stared at each other silently, and the only sound was Harry's harsh breathing as he tried to get his breathing under control. Without a sound Sammy curled his body around Harry's stomach and torso and squeezed him gently, giving Harry the snake version of a hug.

With Sammy hugging him, he didn't feel so alone and betrayed anymore, especially when Sammy started to softly tickle him, being careful of his sore ribs. Harry sighed in relief he could breathe better now, he didn't want to deal with Snape so he decided to return to their quarters now; where hopefully he wouldn't be back yet. Harry tried to uncurl Sammy from his body but the baby basilisk refused to be moved, looking in his eyes Harry saw the reason why. He didn't feel safe leaving Harry alone and to his thoughts in case he tried to hurt himself again.


*Alright Sammy, but you can't harm anyone up here or they may take you away from me and hurt you. Don't look anyone in eye except me and I'll work on making you something to protect them and where you can see.*


*Of course Harry*


Harry went out the passage that led him to the Slytherin Common Room and walking fast so not to run into anyone he soon stood in front of the entrance to their quarters.


*Young speaker? Salazar gasped; is that the baby basilisk you told me about?*


*Yup, could you let me in before someone sees?*
Harry asked glancing around to see if anyone was near them.*Lily Flower*


So focused on getting in and making sure that no one saw them, Harry missed Salazar warn him that Severus was in his lab. Harry breathed a sigh of relief before hissing to Sammy.

 

*The things I do for you*


*You don't mind, you loved me Sammy smugly replied.*


*That I do Sams*


Harry smirked and was walking to his bedroom when the Potion's lab door opened to reveal a confused Potion's Master. Harry watched as the man tried to figure out what was wrapped around his waist before his Professor's expression turned to horror, as he realized it was a snake.


"Harry what is that around your waist?" Severus cautiously asked, his wand unconsciously falling into his hand.


Harry was frozen in fear and surprise, managing to keep a neutral look on his face he replied.


"It's my familiar Professor; meet Sammy," he managed to get out calmly.


*Sammy that's my teacher ok? He's off limits alright?*

*I understand*

"Is that a baby basilisk?" Severus asked unwilling to believe what his eyes were seeing.


"Yep," was all Harry replied, he was still mad at Snape for what he had done before. And so once he got over the surprise of his Professor being there, the glare from earlier was back full force as he stared at his teacher.


"Harry, I'm sorry I cornered you into speaking with Professor Mcgonagall, but she really wanted to apologize to you. And I know you feel like I betrayed you, I didn't but I apologize nonetheless," Severus told him quietly.


"Of course sir, I'm only a child my rights don't mean a thing. Am I allowed to go to bed sir? Goodnight sir." Harry didn't even wait for an answer as he started back towards his room; he laid on the bed and fell in a restful sleep with Sammy keeping watch over him.


Severus sighed, he really hoped that he didn't give Harry a reason to doubt him. He just didn't want Harry to regret never talking to her and becoming bitter, quite like he himself was.

Severus went into Harry's room to check on him surprised that he was already asleep. The snake was laying on him, and it gave Severus the creeps how similar Harry and the Dark Lord were. He went back to his lab to finish his potions and trying to rid his mind of their similarities.

To be continued...
Chapter 10: The Truth Shall Set you Free by Severus Draconis Potter
Chapter 10: the Truth Shall Set you Free


Harry scoffed as Snape tried once more to gain his attention, he was well aware of what the man was trying to do. So he wanted to explain himself, on just why he threw him to his Head of house, well he didn't care at this point, he just knew that his teacher had betrayed his trust. He was content to ignore him for the rest of his life if that's what it took, but he only lasted week before Snape managed to corner him.


In honesty he was expecting it anyway, he lived with the man so naturally he was going to get caught. And he right the man did explain his actions and while Harry stubbornly pretended he didn't get what the man was trying to say he did. Snape clearly didn't want him to turn out like himself...go figure right? He shook his head at that trying to clear it, who the hell said he wanted to be like Snape anyway?


The week passed by pretty quickly after that and soon they were visited by Madame Pomprey who to Harry's relief finally cleared him as having a clean bill of health. Harry was excited about being able to sleep in the dorms with his mates, but he was a little sad that he would be leaving Snape's quarters, but that couldn't be helped as he was healed and he didn't want to get hurt again to have to be able to stay. Not to mention he really, really wanted to get back to his books, he felt like he was falling behind.


Severus still hadn't brought it to Harry's attention that he was aware of Harry's intellect. The fact of the matter was he was waiting until Harry was back in classes and he wanted see if he would still hide it. If he did continue to hide it then he would talk to him about it. He knew from a conversation with Albus that Harry had chosen to have Occlumency lessons with him instead of the Headmaster.


He was surprised for two reasons; one he was sure that Harry didn't actually need the help shielding his mind after finding one of his books were on mind magic. And second reason was he would have thought that the boy would have chosen to have them with Albus. Then again the boy did choose to stay with him so he shouldn't have been that surprised.


Severus cleared his throat when he saw Harry with his bag, obviously ready to go. He felt slightly awkward doing this, but it needed to be said. "You can come back down here at anytime, if you need help or just want too. The password will be the same," he promised.


Harry found himself grinning in spite of himself and nodded. "Okay," he murmured, a bit of the weight lifting off his chest before he walked out the door, unknowingly leaving a piece of his heart with Snape.


Sleeping in the Gryffindor tower that night was uneventful, and as he listened to the snores of the other boys he longed for the quiet that could only be found in his room in the dungeons. Would Snape let him keep his room or would he change it back to a guest bedroom? He found himself bothered by the fact that he didn't know the answer to that. The man was very complicated.


Despite the late hour he finally fell asleep, Harry awoke at 5:00am, feeling restless. He took his shower and got dressed, before he grabbed his book bag and went to the Great hall. At 5:45am there wasn't anyone around so he sat down at the Hufflepuff table and went over his homework that he'd already finished weeks ago. It was barely an acceptable grade and he smiled to himself at it, it was perfect. He knew he could do better but they didn't expect him to do better here and he wasn't trying to stand out anymore then what he did already.


"Dobby," Harry called out quietly.


"Yes, Harry Potter Sir?" The little elf responded, barely able to contain his excitement at being summoned by the wizard who considered him his friend.


"Can you bring me a small bowl of porridge with honey? A fried egg and toast with a glass of pumpkin juice?" Harry asked politely.


"Of course, Harry Potter Sir, I be right back," the little elf replied happily before he popped out of sight.

Harry smiled in amusement looking down at the vials that had appeared the moment he sat down. While he hated swallowing the vile concoctions they did have their uses, for one it was stretching his stomach and letting him have a bigger appetite. He could finally enjoy food again,


A few minutes later his food appeared in front of him, and he found himself eating quickly not wanting to be stared at when everyone else arrived. He finished his food and started reading a book, he remembered checking out from the muggle library. He was so into his book that he didn't see or hear the students piling in to the hall until Hannah and Susan sat down in front of him.

He spoke to them, before he grabbed his stuff, and left early for his Transfiguration class. He was waiting by the door for his teacher and classmates to arrive; after 45 minutes they appeared.

It was Transfiguration with the Slytherins and he didn't know where to sit, so he took a seat directly in the middle of the classroom. That way he didn't have to choose a side if one looked at it that way. Class started and Harry gave McGonagall no reason to question him and it seem to fly by for him. When class ended, not wanting her to keep him back; he nearly ran out the classroom to get away.


Classes passed in a blur that day and the rest of the week. On Friday he had double Potions with the Slytherins, his favorite class even though only Draco knew that. Once more Harry was the first one waiting by the door.When Snape arrived he paired each Gryffindor with a Slytherin, not surprisingly Harry was with Draco. 

Harry had stayed in Lion's tower all week trying to establish his friendships there and his nightmares had returned viciously. That day in Potions he was very tired as he chopped his ingredients up that Draco had to prevent numerous explosions from happening. And to stop Harry from trying to add in the wrong thing at the wrong time.


"Stop that Harry. What's wrong with you?" Draco whispered out, after the fourth attempt at Harry trying to add a willow root in the potion. They had passed that stage about 10 minutes ago.


"I'm just really tired, sorry Dray m'not being much help. But I really just wanna take a nap," Harry yawned out, unable to keep his eyes open any longer. He sighed before laying his head on the desk.


"Not here Harry, Snape will flay you alive. Wake up Harry," Draco whispered back firmly trying to wake his friend up. He poked him repeatedly in the side but that didn't work, and Snape was coming back around their way.


"Harry wake the hell up PLEASE," Draco frantically whispered to Harry but Snape was already here. Draco blanked his face to the Malfoy mask and continued chopping his roots, ignoring the sleeping boy next to him. Snape frowned and Draco hoped Harry would escape his wrath.


Severus sneered, how dare the child fall asleep in his classroom, hadn't the child been trying to turn over a new leaf? Didn't that dunderhead know how volatile potions can be and here he was lying on the table next to a boiling cauldron. If Draco mess it up whether it be on purpose or accident Harry would be seriously hurt.

Severus took Harry's potions book and slammed it down on the desk effectively waking Harry up and startling everyone in the classroom. He grabbed the boy's shoulder, and startled a bit when the boy flinched at the touch and nearly fell off the stool.


"Mr. Potter, go to my office and wait for me there. The rest of you get back to work," Severus sneered out, his face blank but inwardly he was reeling with the reaction from the child.


As Severus watched Harry go into his office he saw the worry in Draco's eyes and he was sure they had to do with Harry and not himself. Making sure that his classroom was okay he then walked into his office.


Harry for the most part was horrified at falling asleep but for also jumping like he did. Just what he needed another thing for them to talk about him with, not to mention he saw how angry Snape looked. Harry wondered what was going to happen to him, and he was really working himself into a state. Hyperventilating with tears in his eyes was how Snape found him.The only good thing about that panic attack was that Snape's annoyed look was quickly replaced with a concern one. 

Severus sighed, of course he had a panic attack, and he wouldn't be surprised if he had triggered a flashback too. He shouldn't have grabbed him like that, but he had been caught in the moment. The Potion's Master sighed before went to his cabinet and pulled out a calming draught and was about to hand it to the child until he noticed how badly the boy's hands were shaking. He held the vial to the child's lips and poured it down his throat and waited for it to kick in.


"Harry, this is the 2nd time I've seen you have a panic attack. How often do you get them?" Severus asked him, when he was sure the potion had taken effect.


"About 1-2 times a week usually, but I've been having them at least once a day now," Harry replied quietly.


"Have you spoken to anyone about them, maybe to figure out the cause of them?" The Professor asked seriously.


"No sir," he sighed out. He didn't think he would ever get used to this new Snape.


"Alright we'll figure it out together. But right now I would like to know why you were falling asleep in my class?" Severus asked, unable to keep a frown from his face at the whole thing that started this all.


"I'm sorry sir. I didn't mean too if that helps," Harry said his face flushing in his embarrassment.


"Just a bit, but you didn't answer my question Harry," Severus pointed out quietly.
"I was tired; I haven't slept well at all this week," Harry sighed out.


"Why not? What's keeping you awake? Are you having visions or nightmares?" Severus wanted to know.


Harry thought about his answer quickly, if he wanted to stay with Snape again he should say visions. That way he would get to have ‘Occlumency Lessons' again not that he needed them, he just wanted to be close to Snape. But at the same time he knew he couldn't lie to the man, Snape was a human lie detector everyone knew it.


"Both sir, mostly visions though," was his careful answer. Which really was the truth considering he had 5 visions this past week alone. Only the fact that he occluded kept him from feeling pain, but Snape didn't need to know that.


"Lie down on the couch and try to rest. We will talk about this after class okay?" Severus asked, his heart feeling for the child. No wonder he was exhausted then.


"Yes sir," he replied tiredly as he obediently laid down.


Harry watched as Snape returned to class and stretched out on the couch for a moment before he sat back up. He really was tired but he had to do something first. Knowing it was wrong but at the same time he wanted to sleep that night he went to Snape's still unlocked cabinet. Taking a moment to read the labels on the vials, he grabbed 2 concentrated vials of dreamless sleep potion.

He was grateful that Snape had forgotten to put his spells back on it, and then guilty frowned at that thought. He was technically stealing from his Professor. Promising himself he would pay him back he put the vials in his robe pocket. Spelling a silencing charm around the sofa after a moment, that way if he screamed out no one would hear him.


When class ended Severus dismissed the stragglers that seemed to be waiting for Potter, he still needed to chat with the boy. When he walked into his office that was soon pushed out of his mind as he found Harry's limbs thrashing everywhere with his mouth open in a silent scream. He frowned as he couldn't hear a thing from the boy it was unnatural and he knew the cause immediately.


"Finite Incantem," Severus muttered and soon winced as Harry's ear-piercing shriek cut through the air.


The scream was so full of agony, that it gave Severus the chills. What kind of dream was he having that he produced a sound like that? He shook his head, perhaps the child really did need more Occlumency lessons again. He knew only a vision from the Dark lord could bring forth a scream like that, having seen it firsthand he had seen it firsthand. He went over to Harry and called his name to wake up, and was relieved when Harry awoke with a start.


Harry glanced around, seeing he was in Snape's office he relaxed until he saw that Snape was looking at him strangely. Not knowing what was wrong Harry furrowed his brow trying to remember before he found himself clearing his throat. His teacher's look was starting to unsettle him.


"Is something wrong sir?" He asked politely.


"Harry, did you put up a silencing charm?" Severus asked wearily.


Of all the questions Harry thought Snape was going to ask him that wasn't one of them. What did it matter if he did or not? If he hadn't chances are he would have screamed loudly and disrupted the man's class.


"Yes sir, I did," he said slowly.


"Why did you do that?" Severus questioned.


"I think that's pretty obvious sir. I tend to yell out when I'm sleeping, and I didn't want to disturb your class. Not to mention give anyone a heart attack with my scream. I'm told it can chill you to your bones," he said as he ran a hand through his already messy hair.


"I can agree with that assessment, I heard the scream. However there is nothing to be ashamed of," Severus said as he saw Harry's head drop in embarrassment. "Was it a nightmare or vision?"


"Just a memory, I guess," Harry sighed.


"That must have been a heck of a memory to cause you to react like that. What was it about?" Severus asked curiously. He wanted to know just what kind of memory could provoke terrors like that.


"It's not important sir," Harry replied hastily wanting the man to drop the subject. He didn't want to discuss this.


"It may not be but I'd still like to know about it anyways. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked," Severus pointed out.


"It's nothing sir," Harry said more firmly. Couldn't the bloody man take a hint?


"Don't lie to me in such a fashion Potter. How am I supposed to help you if you won't even tell me what the problem is?" Severus said as his irritation started to show. He wasn't known for his patience on a good day and at the moment it was waning.


"Of course it's back to Potter. And for the record I never asked you to help me ,you chose to yourself, or Dumbledore made you. Everyone has their own secrets, and that one is mine and I don't want to tell you okay? Harry replied clearly annoyed at this point.


"That's not good enough for me. I'm your Professor and that's what teacher's are here for, to assist their students anyway they can. That is a suitable answer however; I just don't tolerate blatant lies like that. Don't brush it off as something unimportant when it in fact is not," Severus told him sternly.


"Yes sir, may I go now?" Harry asked wanting to escape this conversation.


"You may, I'll send you an owl with the date and time for your ‘remedial potions' lesson," Severus said waving his arm out as he dismissed the child.


"Bye Professor and thanks," Harry said as he walked out the door and intent on skipping his last class.


Harry entered the Slytherin dorms and tiredly trudged up to the 6th year dorms. When he opened the door he was unsurprised to see a 6th bed squeezed between Draco's and Theo's bed. He took off his robe and transfigured his uniform in pajamas before closing his curtains and taking the dreamless sleep he nicked. Feeling guilty but please at the same time he downed the potion and was asleep before his head hit the pillow. Harry slept through dinner, no worries going through his head for once.

 

Draco, Theo, Daphne, and Blaize walked back to their common room wondering where Harry was. They hadn't seen him since he disappeared into Snape's office in Potions. As they walked up the stairs to their dorm, they see that the empty bed that randomly appeared last week was occupied. Draco cautiously peeled back the curtains unsure of who was there, only to find a sleeping Harry.

They were all confused but confident that Harry would explain it to them tomorrow when he woke up. By silent communication they agreed to head to bed early so not to disturb him. Daphne went to her dorm and one by one the boys fell asleep unaware they were visited by their Head of House wondering why his 6th year boys had fallen asleep at 8:30pm.


Severus shook his head as he walked through the Slytherin Common Room. At the moment Harry was missing and all his 6th year boys had fallen asleep at the same time. He wanted to make sure they weren't ill, and then he could go and search for Harry with the rest of his Coworkers. Severus entered the dorm, confusion being his dominate emotion, since when did he have six 6th year Slytherin boys? Draco, Nott, Crabbe, Goyle, and Zabini; who was the 6th child?


He pulled the curtains open to reveal a sleeping Harry Potter who had a peaceful expression his face, as he laid sleeping in the bed. Well he had found Harry. All he needed to do was go and inform Albus. But why was the child in the Slytherin dorms, and first off how did he get in? Not wanting to wake any of his students least they wake up Harry, he spelled the whole room and then each individual boy to inform him when someone woke up. The last thing he needed was Harry to be cursed in his sleep. When he got down to the common room he addressed his students.


"Do any of you know why a Gryffindor is asleep upstairs? Can someone please explain to me why and how Harry Potter got into the Common room?" Severus asked neutrally as his dark eyes pierced each and every student there.


Severus watched their faces; none of them seemed to be surprised to know that Harry was here, they only looked warily at him. What was going on? Severus was starting to get annoyed and it showed on his face, he wanted answers and damn it he would get them. Just as he was about to say something, he saw Pansy Parkinson insert herself and her wand between the stairs to the 6th year boy dorms; what was she doing?


"You dare raise your wand to me Miss Parkinson, What is the meaning of this?" Severus asked sternly, his eyes glinting as he stared at her.


"What does it matter that Har....err Potter is up there, what are you planning on doing to him?" She asked bravely.


Before Severus could answer she was joined by Daphne Greengrass who had heard the commotion. As he moved to question her he frowned as soon found himself surrounded by his 7th and 5th years, the rest of his 6th year girls were behind him with their wands drawn.


Severus was floored at the loyalty he saw them displaying Of course he had no intention of hurting Harry but they didn't know that. All they knew was he was a friend of their parents and therefore a fellow death eater.


"Nothing, I was just curious to why he was in here. Usually lions don't venture this far south," he replied calmly. They were Slytherins and he knew any sudden moves he was getting cursed. He wasn't afraid but he didn't want any of his student's hurt.


"Of course Professor,and you're not going to hurt Harry are you?" Asked a timid 2nd year who was stationed in front of Draco's room with his year mates.


"I would never harm a student, even one as annoying as this one," he replied honestly.


"Prove it, Pansy replied, her chin jutted out defiantly. She wasn't 12 years old anymore, words without an oath meant nothing.


"How would I go about doing that?" Severus asked slowly.


"Swear an oath, if you won't do that, then I'm sorry Professor we're going to have to obliviate you to keep Har...err Potter safe," Daphne answered.


"That's the second time I've heard one of you slip up and nearly call him by his given name; and Mr. Jameson has already done that. Will someone please inform me what the hell is going on?" Severus said raising his voice slightly as he became aware they were still evading his questions.


"Swear it and we will," Pansy calmly replied.


"What is it you wish for me to say," Severus sighed as the thought of children and their oaths he thought ran through his mind. Look at what the war had done to them, afraid to trust.


"I Severus Snape do swear on my magic not to hurt or use any information that I gain tonight to hurt or harm one Harry Potter in any way. Any information that I learn about Harry Potter I am forbidden to share, discuss or tell anyone who doesn't already know. If I betray him I will accept all consequences including where I do hereby swear to give up all my magic and is destined to live out the remainder of my life as a muggle if I somehow live, so mote it be," Pansy said carefully.


"That's a mouthful and very thorough who came up with it might I ask?" Severus asked curiously very much impressed by the wording.


"Draco and Blaise. Professor, are you going to swear it?" Daphne asked tiredly.
Severus could tell that the children were getting uneasy and not wanting to get cursed he swore it. He noticed them breathe a sigh of relief and one by one, released their defensive positions.


"Now will someone please explain what is going on?" He repeated once more.


"Simple Professor, Harry Potter is a snake. He's been an honorary one since his 2nd year, and just last week, we don't know how but the castle shifted and made it official," Daphne replied.


"Most of you have death eater parents, how do you prevent them from finding out?" Severus asked, going straight to the point.


"We are all pretty careful, and if we did we would we would lose our magic not to mention we could possibly die, which is a great incentive not to tell," Pansy said as she gave a dark chuckle.


"The oath never said anything about death..." Severus said warily.


"A Slytherin maneuver, that was an unbreakable vow you took as did we. A mere oath wouldn't work, there are loopholes you know that Professor," Pansy answered as if he should have seen that.


"I do, he said, can you answer a question for me?" Severus asked with a shake of his head.


"If I can," Pansy replied back cautiously wondering what the hell the man wanted to know.


"What is my godson Draco Malfoy to Harry Potter?" Severus asked, afraid for a moment at what the answer might be.


"His brother and best friend," Daphne replied with a smirk before she grinned.


"What is it that you find amusing in that answer?" Severus asked wearily.


"Draco has his sights set on someone else. Harry is the wrong gender," Daphne replied with a snicker.


"Not to mention Harry is crushing on our own Slytherin Ice Queen," Pansy said smiling smugly when Daphne sputtered.


Severus gave the girl a look, well he learned something new everyday. Well at least now he knew that the Slytherin boys wouldn't hurt the Gryffindor. Well he still needed to see if they were the under the vow too. He wouldn't be careless with Harry's life. He nodded before he made his exit from the common room, he had to inform Albus that Harry was safe and he needed to think on this new development. What did all of this mean? Did that mean now, he could spare most of his Slytherins from a horrible fate. He sure hoped so.

To be continued...
Chapter 11: Jealousy by Severus Draconis Potter
Author's Notes:
Hi,

As I was going through my favorites and sending a comment to one of my favorite stories to someone on here asking for closure as they hadn't updated a story in 6 years.

I remembered that I had a story that is finished, that just needs to be edited and posted, and haven't been updated in 6 years either, and I have no excuses. I'm sorry, and though I probably won't ever get closure on that story, I can give you guys closure on this one.

"Are you sure about that? Everyone knows Weasely is his best friend," Severus pointed out trying to understand and at the same time see if the children would share the facts with him. 

"He is as well, you are allowed to have more then one best friend. Ron is the best friend that everyone expects him to have, Draco is the one everyone needs. We all have parts to play Professor; you of all people should know that," Daphne answered carefully.

"What do you mean by that?" Severus stated out in a dangerously low tone. 

"Oh, I think you know what she means, since you're clearly fishing for information. How about this, the next time you see Draco and Harry arguing or fighting in the hallways pay close attention to their faces. Harry always apologizes after he says something offensive and Draco's eyes are always full of worry that Harry will take it the wrong way," Pansy interjected as she didn't want any blood to be shed.

"Thank you for that insight, next time I will make sure keep an eye out, but right now I have a meeting with the headmaster, sleep well my little snakes," Severus said out wearily before he turned to head out of the common room.

That hadn't been as helpful as he had thought it would be. He still had so many questions that needed to be answered.As Severus headed to Albus's office, he couldn't fathom how all this came about, he actually felt like he had landed bizarre universe.

When he arrived in the headmaster's office, he was glad to see that Albus was alone, but he was looking as old as his age for once."Albus, I found Harry," Severus said not wanting to prolong the good news.

"You did? That's marvelous, where was he?" Albus said cheerfully, his blue eyes twinkling with knowing.

"You're not going to believe where I found him," Severus said in bewilderment. He had seen it with his own eyes but even then, he was hard pressed to believe it to be the truth.

"His dorm room in Slytherin I'd say, judging by your expression," the old Headmaster replied out in amusement.

"His dorm room in Slytherin? Potter is a Gryffindor Headmaster," Severus said slowly as if he was speaking to a small child.

"As of last week, he was sorted as a member of both houses," Albus replied truthfully."As

Slytherin Head of House, why wasn't I told of this new development?" Severus asked, his dark eyes narrowing at the thought of being kept in the dark.

 "I'd assume it was because your snakes are unsure of your loyalties and wanted to protect Harry. Speaking of which how is he?" Albus asked in concern. 

"Suffering from nightmares and visions, he was passed out when I left," Severus explained out, letting himself be redirected. 

"I'll have to ask Remus, if Harry complained of having nightmares to him tomorrow," Albus muttered out to himself.

"Why would the wolf know anything?" Severus asked out carefully, because once again it seemed he wasn't being kept in the loop.

"Harry and Remus meet once a week to talk," Albus answered honestly, he saw no reason to lie.

Severus pushed the jealousy that tried to surface into the back of his mind, at the thought of Harry confiding in someone else other then him.

"Happy to hear that he's pouring his heart out to someone, please keep me informed Albus," the older Slytherin said before turning to head out of the door. 

"Of course, Severus," Albus said, allowing himself to smirk once the man had closed the door. He had seen that jealously, and it was promising to him.

Severus left Albus's office and walked down to his quarters. Thoughts were crossing his mind every minute. Harry was in Slytherin and he had the snake's supports. Knowing that he had to wait until tomorrow to discuss this situation with the boys when they woke up, he enjoyed a cup of tea, trying to calm his thoughts.

~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When Harry woke up the next morning after a rare rested sleep, the first thing he realized was he had fallen asleep in the Slytherin dorms. He threw a pillow at Draco to wake him up but he just groaned and rolled over. Shaking his head as he got up out of bed, Harry was in the process of grabbing his towel so he could take a shower, when the door to the dorm opened.

Expecting it to be Daphne, Harry didn't turn around as he grabbed his clothes, and was startled to say the least when he heard Snape's voice instead of hers.

"Good morning, Mr. Potter," Severus drawled out, thankful that Harry seemed to be the only one awake at this time. 

Harry let out a high-pitched wail in surprise at the man's voice, which he would later deny he ever did it. The upside to that was that he had finally succeeded in waking up Draco as well as the rest of his Dorm mates. Harry tried to hold back a grin as the boys positioned themselves in front of him with their wands raised. They made a comical sight dressed in only; boxers, pajama pants, or sleeping gowns.

Severus frowned as this was the 2nd time in 24 hours that his snakes had raise their wands to him. He wasn't sure how to feel that it was Harry who they were all protecting. He just didn't want anyone to get hurt. 

"Hello Professor," Harry replied weakly.He hadn't wanted Snape to find out he was a snake this way.

"Lower your wands gentlemen," Severus said in a dangerous voice. He was glad to see that a few wands faltered but saw that Nott, Zabini, and Malfoy's, stayed strong.

Before anything else could happen, Daphne burst into the room."Guys he's ok, he swore the vow last night, he won't hurt Harry," she exclaimed, trying to deescalate the the tension in the room.

"How did you guys get him to swear an unbreakable vow in the first place?" Harry asked curiously."We tricked him, hey we needed to know the truth," she added when she saw the frowns on Harry and Draco's face.

Harry sighed in relief when they finally lowered their wands, not liking that they were still pointing them at Severus. Especially because Harry knew whose side the man was really one.

Severus asked the question he had been dying to know since he'd found out that Harry had the snake's protection. "How long have you and Mr. Malfoy been friends Mr. Potter?" He asked. 

"Since we were 11 sir." Harry answered Honestly.

"I thought you rejected his offer of friendship that 1st year?" Severus asked looking a bit confused.

"He did, publicly humiliating me in the process," Draco interjected dryly.

"You deserved it, you were a little prat back then," Harry retorted in his defense.

Yes, he was," Blaise said in agreement smirking at the affronted look on Draco's face.

"Anyways something happened to me as a result of that and Harry found me, and instead of leaving me to suffer on my own he helped me out with it and never told anyone else. The friendship started there," Draco said quickly, bringing the conversation back to the topic at hand.

"And how did Mr. Potter become an honorary snake?" Severus asked carefully.

"After his 2nd year when it was revealed that he was a parsel mouth, the rest of the school turned on him. But Draco wouldn't turn his back on Harry, he even risked getting beat up to bring him in here. The first few months Harry started coming in here without Draco and after showing a few secrets that only he knew about in our common room, He was made a snake and that was that," Theo said softly.

"Of course, some snakes had to be obliviated, because they threatened to tell their parents, that was when Draco and Theo came up with the Vow," Blaise said with a grimace as he had remembered that shit show.

"A clever idea, I must say," Severus reluctantly agreed.

"Well, you guys don't need me to tell him anything since you all know the story.  So, I'm gonna go take a shower," Harry murmured before he turned to head into the bathroom.Taking advantage of the fact that Harry was no longer in earshot, Severus focused fully on his snakes.

"What do you know about Harry's grades? Has his homework ever seemed like it was too easy for him?" He asked in a casual tone.

Draco frowned at that and said nothing; it wasn't his place to tell Harry's secrets. "You'll have to ask him because we don't know what you're talking about, do we guys?" He said flickering his eyes to his dorm mates.

Severus saw the look his godson had given the other boys so he wasn't surprised when they all hurried to nod their heads in agreement to his words. Knowing he wasn't going to get anything out of them, Severus sighed but left them to their own devices.

When Harry came out the shower, he was told about what Snape had asked them, to be honest Harry already figured out Snape would find out about that since he went to Privet Drive. He just hoped Snape didn't know about his cupboard. Not sure what the man knew and not wanting to be called out, Harry avoided Snape for the rest of the weekend and hung out with his friends.

*~*~*~Few weeks later*~*~*~*~*~

As much as Harry himself had been avoiding Snape, he didn't like the fact that the man himself seemed to be doing the same to him. Even in Potion's class where it guaranteed that they would have some kind of interaction, they didn't. If the Professor wanted him to do something, he would ask his partner which was either Ron or Draco depending on the class. He didn't know what he had done, to warrant this behavior. Why was he getting ignored?

Frustrated with the lack of knowing was what led him to knocking on the Potion Master's office the second week of October. He honestly wasn't sure what his plan was, but he was unable to take it back when he heard the man's silky voice, allowing him to enter.

"Hi Professor," Harry said quietly as he shut the door behind him and took a seat in front of the man's desk.

Severus looked up, his obsidian eyes taking in Lily's child, he hadn't really had a chance to speak with him and he was glad that the child had sought him out. Was this another cry for help? 

"What can I do for you Harry?" He asked, gently. If it was a cry for help, he didn't want to be harsh if the boy was struggling again.

"I was wondering if I would have to take ‘remedial potions' this year?" Harry asked slowly. He wasn't sure how one went about asking to spend time with someone they viewed as a pseudo parent. 

"Do you think you actually need to take them?" Severus asked bluntly. "Well last year, you said I was a dunderhead who failed at occluding, so I would assume so," Harry said carefully.

 Severus signed, and pulled out his wand before activating the privacy wards around his office, before setting his wand on the desk.

 "Sir?" Harry asked questioningly, unsure of just what the man was doing.

"Let's not beat around the bush, I know you're smart Harry, extremely smart but I can't figure out why you are constantly getting barely acceptable in your all classes. Are you intentionally trying to fail?" Severus asked bluntly, he genuinely wanted to know. 

Harry sighed but he wasn't surprised, he had been expecting this. A part of him had known that his professor had seen his work at the Dursely house. However, he didn't think the man would come right out and say it? Wasn't he a Slytherin?

"I work hard to make those A's Professor," Harry replied honestly.

"But you can do better, can't you?" Severus pressed.

"I could yes," Harry said with a sigh since it was apparent that Snape wanted an actual reason as to why he wasn't doing his best. He personally thought it was obvious. 

"Then why don't you?" Severus really wanted to know why Harry hid his potential from the rest of the world.

"Because I was always expected to do worse then Dudley at the Dursleys, and when I got here I would've attracted more attention then I already had. I just wanted to blend in with everyone else," Harry replied truthfully. 

"That's not going to work anymore; and you don't have to show off. I just want you to do the best that you can.  And if you don't, believe me when I say you will be getting a lot of detentions until you do," Severus said calmly.

"You can't do that," Harry half whispered, even as a part of him was in awe that the man wanted him to do his best. No one had ever wanted him to do that.

"As half your Head of House, I can and I will. You are now one of mine, and I want you working up to your full potential so you can go far without anything getting in your way," Severus said passionately.

"I've never had anyone care about my grades before," Harry said softly.

"Now you do, and now that little matter is out of the way I want to ask you something," Severus said easily.

"Ask me what?" Harry asked curiously.

"Do you really need help to occlude your mind? I found your book on mind magic and protections at your relatives' house which made me curious. Not to mention I didn't see any memories of your abusive relations when we did do remedial potions," Severus said carefully. That had intrigued him, and now that he was thinking about it, it was clear that the child could already shield his mind.

"No, I don't need any help sir, my shields are airtight," Harry said with a quiet sigh.

"Then why did you lie Harry?" Severus asked in confusion.

"Because I wanted to spend time with you," Harry replied shamefully. He wasn't sure how the man felt about him, and didn't know how his professor would take his words.

Severus had to strain to hear Harry's answer, and when he did he felt happiness swell within him. They had made progress, even though it felt like they hadn't.

"Did I not tell you that you could visit me anytime, when you were released from my care?" Severus reminded him. 

"Yes, but I thought you were just doing it to be polite, not that you actually meant it," Harry said truthfully.

"Do you trust me, Harry?" Severus asked in response to the boys' words. 

"With my life sir," Harry replied without hesitation.

Severus grinned inwardly; they had come a long way since their discussion on trust."Then know that I will never say something like that to be polite, alright?" Severus told him.

"Yes sir, I understand," Harry said with a small grin on his face now that he knew the man wasn't going to mock him. 

Seeing how insecure the small teen was, Severus almost caved right then and there and told the boy about the change in guardianship. As much as Harry and he had come a long way, that didn't mean that the boy wanted to live with his greasy git of a teacher.  

"Harry, are you spending Christmas here at Hogwarts?" Severus asked after a couple of moments had gone by.

"Yes sir, I always do," Harry replied honestly. It was no secret, he was every single break, he never went home, it was strange how the Professors at Hogwarts never questioned that, until now. 

Severus remembered back when he spent every Christmas at Hogwarts to avoid going home, and how much he wished that someone would invite him home with them but never did. Wanting to give the child a real Christmas for once, he had an idea.

"Would you like to spend Christmas with me?" Severus asked casually, ignoring as his heart sped up at the thought of Lily's child spending Christmas with him. 

"Of course, I would sir," Harry replied grinning so hard that his cheeks actually hurt.

"Good we'll discuss this in depth when it gets closer to break," Severus said allowing a rare smile to grace his face. Up until he had seen the boy's delighted expression, he had missed how much of an open book that Harry's face use to have. 

"Yes sir, goodbye sir, and thank you," Harry said ecstatically before he turned and ran out of the man's office before, he did something he might regret, like hug the man. He didn't think he would ever live that down. 

Severus shook his head in amusement as the child ran out of is office, shaking his head fondly. Usually, children didn't run out of his office that happily, but he was glad that he was the reason for that child's happiness. 

Once Harry was a bit away from the Professor's office, he let out a happy sigh, he couldn't believe that he was going to spend Christmas with someone who liked him for him. It was almost like a family. He was so excited that he knew that he had to tell someone, but it had to be someone who was going to be totally happy for him. He knew that it had to be a Slytherin, which is why he turned to head to the Slytherin dorms, to tell Draco. 

"Draco, guess what?" Harry said excitedly as he burst into their dorm room to find Draco and Theo and Blaize on their beds. 

Draco sat up at Harry's entrance, grinning at the excitement on the other boy's face. He knew it had to be something good, and he wondered what had happened?

"What? Did Ron outscore Granger on the last Transfiguration assignment?" He said half jokingly.

"No, that was last week," Harry said absently as he went to go sit on the blonde's bed.

Draco's mouth gaped open before he caught himself. "He actually did?" He asked in disbelief.

"He did, he got an O without her help, and she ended with an EE, she was pissed," Harry said giggling as he remembered.

"Weasely is smart, if he applied himself, he would be a force to be reckoned with. He's unmatched in chess," Theo said thoughtfully.

"I know that, and he's starting to realize that too," Harry said fondly. "We're going to come back to this topic, because I need to know the whole story, but if that's not the reason for your excitement was is?" Draco asked eagerly.

"You'll never guess what happened, so I'll tell you. Snape invited me to spend Christmas with him, and I said yes," Harry said excitedly, as he remembered the feeling of being wanted, of being cherished. He mattered to that man, and he didn't know if it was fully because he was his mother's son, but he was happy nonetheless.

 "What?" Draco muttered out, because he had heard wrong. He had asked Severus when they had gotten back to school if he could spend Christmas with him and the man had yet to reply to him. But he had told Harry he could? How was this fair?

"I know, I couldn't believe it," Harry gushed out happily.

"You told him no right?" Draco said tightly.

"I told him yes, what's wrong with you?" Harry asked in confusion, only now noticing that Draco wasn't a happy about this as he had thought he would be. Forget happy the blonde Slytherin was downright angry with him? What had he done?

"Why would he ask you to spend Christmas with him? I'm his godson," Draco grumbled out, feeling jealous. Was Harry trying to take his place? He realized he was being a little bit irrational but he had never had to compete for Severus's attention before, and now he did?

Harry flinched slightly at his friend's words before he nodded to himself. "I thought you would be happy for me, otherwise, I wouldn't have told you, "He said before he turned and walked out of the room. He didn't want to deal with this, it seemed like he could never just have happiness without petty problems getting in the way.

"Seriously?" Blaize said as he jumped off his bed to go run after Harry. 

Draco gritted his teeth, angry at himself because he knew immediately that he had hurt Harry, but he couldn't stop his own hurt feelings. Severus was his godfather, why didn't he get an invite to spend Christmas with him?

"I honestly don't know what to think right now Draco," Theo said after letting the blonde stew in his thoughts for a moment.

"I don't want to talk about it Theo," Draco mumbled out.

"Good, you just need to listen anyway," Theo said truthfully.  "In case you forgot Harry doesn't have anybody left in this world to care for him. His parents and godparents are either dead or indisposed. You however, you have both sets of godparents and parents, can you see how incredibly selfish you just were?" He pointed out gently.

Draco swallowed thickly, because when it was put into perspective like that, he felt like a jackass. Not to mention it wasn't Harry's fault that his godfather hadn't replied to him, it was the man himself. He should have said something to Severus instead of doing what he did.

"The way I see this, Snape was probably giving him a chance to spend Christmas with people who care for him, almost like a family. In a sense this will be Harry's first Christmas and you made him feel guilty about being somewhere he would be accepted. Besides who's to say that Snape wasn't going to invite you too? Didn't you think that you being there would help make the transition smoother for Harry?" Theo asked, watching impassively as a proud horned owl flew in through their dorm window with a letter. 

Draco didn't answer Theo this time, as he recognized the animal as his godfather's owl, Aeris. Draco's stomach dropped as he read the letter to find out it was his invitation to spend Christmas with him and Harry.

Theodore shook his head as he took in Draco's expression, he took no pleasure in being proven correct. "Recklessness and impulsiveness are not Slytherin traits, think about that. And it better be a damn good apology, you really hurt Harry. I'm gonna go see if Blaize caught him." Theo said before he shook his head and walked out of the dorm room. 

Once alone Draco allowed his head to drop into his hands, feeling terrible. What had he done?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry was running fast; he didn't know where he was going but he needed to get away from Draco. What had he done? He wondered absently if his blonde friend thought that he was trying to take Snape away from him.

He wasn't but like he knew from the Weaseleys there was enough love, or care to go around. He needed to get away he needed to think on this new development. Not to mention that was the last time he was ever sharing with Draco. He wondered if he needed new friends now.

He didn't know where he was going which is why he was surprised when his feet led him to Myrtle's bathroom. He could hear Blaise's footsteps behind him which is why he walked into the bathroom, not surprised to find it empty, as it usually was.

He hurriedly opened the Chamber and closed it behind him, preventing him from being followed. Harry called for Sammy who didn't appear; he guessed he was out hunting.Unsure of what to do with himself, but knowing if he allowed his thoughts to continue on their dark paths, he would do something he didn't want to do.

He took a deep breath before he started looking around for other exit points. He stayed down in the chamber for two hours, before he finally came out, relieved to find Blaize gone. He shook himself out, and headed to the great hall where he and ate dinner at the Gryffindor table ignoring Draco's looks to get his attention. 

"We missed you Harry, where were you last week?" Neville asked curiously once they had finished dinner and headed up to their tower. 

"I had a vision, and the headmaster wanted me to stay with Snape to deal with it," Harry said half truthfully. 

"That's good, is it better now?" Neville asked worriedly.

"Yeah I'm alright, thanks for asking," Harry said kindly.

"You're welcome," Neville said brightly before he turned to disappear into the bathroom. 

"Are we good Harry? I know what really happened, and you don't need to explain to me. I'm with you," Ron said quietly.

"Yeah? Who told you?" Harry said still slightly shocked, because what had he missed?

"Daphne," Ron said honestly, before grinning as he remembered how that conversation had gone. 

"What did she tell you?" Harry asked curiously.

"The truth, I'm glad she trusted me with it," Ron said before he turned to his bed.

Harry really wanted to know what was all said, but he didn't want to push. Whatever had been said, he just decided to take it all in stride, glad that his mate had finally grown up.

 ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry spent the next couple of weeks fully in Gryffindor, the only time he associated with Draco and by default his Slytherin mates were in the classes they shared together. He wasn't ready to forgive the Slytherin, because Harry had felt Draco should have known better.

Not to mention, he didn't take kindly to being hurt for no reason, and he knew how the blonde Slytherin could be. He missed the snakes, but he was enjoying this time getting to spend with his fellow lions. 

Severus saw the strain in the boy's friendship but since Harry never brought it to his attention; he just brushed it off as a slight disagreement between friends.

The truth was Harry wanted to tell Snape but he was scared that Snape was going to take Draco's side and revoke the invitation.

After all, Harry was just a student of his, and Draco was the man's godson. He knew the family dynamic, the Durselys had showed him that. Harry was just lucky that for all Snape saw the man thankfully knew better and didn't pair him and Draco up during this time. He wasn't sure how to feel that day in potions when he was paired up with Theo.

"Stop staring at me," Harry said after about 5 minutes had gone by, and the Slytherin boy had been staring at him with this rather peculiar expression on his face.

 "Sorry but we need to talk about Draco," Theo said quietly.

"I would rather not, if its all the same too you," Harry said with a yawn. 

"He was jealous Harry," Theo says getting straight to the point.

"I don't understand why," Harry replied tiredly as he put down his knife to look at his friend."

He thought you were taking Snape away from him," Theo answered honestly.

"But I wasn't," Harry said softly.

"You know that, I know that, but he didn't at the time; now he does. He's sorry Harry." Theo replied.

"So why doesn't he just apologize himself?" Harry asked, his eyes flickering over to his blonde best friend who he could see looked quite miserable. 

"Because you go out of your way to avoid him, we miss you too you know," Theo blushed and hurried to explain, "Daphne was the one who said that." 

If Harry was being honest with himself, he missed them too."Maybe I should tell Snape that I can't spend Christmas with him anymore, will that make Draco happy?" Harry asked, he didn't really want to but with friendships some sacrifices had to be made.

Theo shook his head at that. "No Harry, Snape invited Draco to Christmas too, not 5 minutes after you left," he explained.

Harry turned around to look at Draco again, whose face still looked dejected as he felt. Draco was paired with Ron who had also seemed to know that the blonde wasn't in the mood and was steadily focused on the potion as a result. 

Draco finally looked up to find Harry staring at him, not knowing if Harry was going to hurry up and turn around to ignore him still, he took that time to mouth ‘I'm sorry'. 

Harry nodded then smiled a half of a smile and turned back around. 

Draco knew that he would have to talk about it with Harry later, but all that mattered now was the lump of hurt in his throat was gone and he had Harry back.

To be continued...
End Notes:
This story has 17 chapters plus an epilogue, stay tuned
Chapter 12: Settling In by Severus Draconis Potter

Harry couldn't believe it, he was only 1 hour away from leaving with Snape for the winter holidays. Draco was going to come later since his parents wanted to spend time with him. Harry said goodbye to both his Slytherin and Gryffindor friends, even Hermione. 

Harry had forgiven her but he hadn't forgotten what she said and they weren't as close as they were before. He wasn't even feeling guilty because it was her fault and not his. 

The Headmaster had finally announced that Harry belonged to both Slytherin and Gryffindor Houses. No one was really surprised, they had seen Harry sitting at the table with the snakes and saw that he sometimes went to their classes. The only ones that seemed to have a problem with it were the Gryffindors except for Ron and Neville they all thought Harry was a traitor. 

 That was another reason why Harry wasn't close to Hermione anymore. She tried to tell him he could only be a part of one house; she had yet to get it through her head that books weren't always correct, and just because it didn't say it in Hogwarts: A History didn't make it wrong. Surprisingly the Headmaster shut her up and set her straight. 

Just like in his 2nd year they stopped telling Harry the passwords to the tower, but the Headmaster once again came through(in an attempt to get Harry to trust him again) he gave him a special password that would work for only him no matter how many times they changed the passwords.

 They were angry but it worked out ok, and even Ron was starting to prefer the Slytherins although Harry was sure it had more to do with Pansy Parkinson than anything else. 

They were going to floo to Prince Manor, but after accidentally landing in Knockturn Alley when he was 12 he absolutely detested flooing. While Harry was dreading what was to come, the hour passed quickly and that's how Snape found him staring at the wall. When Snape handed him the floo powder, Harry started shaking, causing Snape to pause and look at him curiously.

"Are you alright Mr. Potter?" Severus asked an eyebrow quirking as he looked at the trembling teen beside him. It was obvious that something was wrong and was just humoring the= child for the moment.

"I'm fine sir," Harry replied softly, wondering if there was really no other way to do this. As much as he wanted to spend time with Draco and Severus he didn't want to go through the fireplace to get there.

"What's wrong Harry?" Severus asked bluntly when it became apparent that the child wasn't going to tell him by himself. 

He frowned as the child only turned his gaze to the ground but Severus knew better and kept his temper in check. "I can't help you unless you tell me." He added just in case the boy might just blurt it out and was waiting for a prompt.

Harry said nothing in response to that as he struggled to pull himself together. They had somewhere to be and here he was wasting time. He was lucky that Severus wasn't telling him that he was staying here. He put up his mask of indifference and walked confidently (at least that's what it looked like because inside he was terrified) to the fireplace and stated ‘Prince Manor' as clearly as he could.

Harry landed with a thump, stumbling to get up and nearly hitting his head on the corner table as he looked around frantically. Heart beating widely Harry pulled his legs to his chest and tried to take deep breaths, trying to prevent the oncoming panic attack.  He had made it to his destination so he had no idea just why he was panicking.

He was safe and sound that had to count for something right? He struggled hard to get a hold of himself but was having little success and was in the same position that Snape found him a minute later when he came through behind him. Severus sighed softly to himself he pulled a calming potion out of his robe pocket and gave it to Harry who gulped it down immediately. 

"What brought this one on?" He asked as he carefully took a seat on the floor next to the child. It wouldn't do his body any good to be down here but Harry needed the comfort and this was what he was here for.

"The floo," Harry replied hoarsely as he rested his chin on his arms.

"Was this your first time traveling by floo powder before?" Severus asked, a feeling of dread coming into his stomach. He wondered if he should have warned the child instead of just assuming.

"No, I have flooed once before this. I just ended up in Knockturn Alley that time," Harry confided in him.
Snape's eyes narrowed at the implications of that, wishing someone would have informed of him the issue and it could have all been sorted.  

"I'm sorry about the horrible experience but next time you have a problem I need you to tell me. If I had known you could have flooed with me if you were that frightened and could have prevented this attack. The next time you will. Now come on and let me show you a tour of the manor," Severus told him as he stood up and stretched before holding a hand out to the small teen where he then pulled him up.

Harry was surprised to say the least; he had never even figured that was an option if he was being honest. Now that he wasn't panicking, he could actually get a good look around the sitting room they had landed it. It looked pretty nice, and he couldn't wait until he could explore the place.

Severus was happy the teen wasn't panicking and moved towards the door. He wanted to do this as quickly as possible as he wasn't used to entertaining children, other than Draco in his manor. He led the way up the stairs and stood in the middle of a series of closed doors in the hallway. 

"This side of the house is called the West Wing, that's your room just here. A few doors down to the left is Draco's room and a few doors down to the right is my room. You have an ensuite in your room and there is another one across the hall as well.

 The doors that are locked mean they are off-limits, don't try to enter them or you won't like the surprise you'll get. My Potion's lab is also off-limits and the same goes for Draco's. Call a house-elf to show you the way to the kitchens. I think that is all, do you have any questions?" Severus asked, giving the teen a quick rundown of the manor. There would be time for Harry to explore the whole thing on his own later.

Harry wondered would Snape allow him to have a Potions lab too. He wanted to focus on finishing Moony's cure, and after finding Salazar's potions books in the Chamber Harry believed he'd found the cure.

"Professor, did you bring any of my books you saw when you visited the Dursleys?" Harry asked quietly.

"I knew I was forgetting to give you something. Follow me I brought them all," Severus replied as he led the way to his study. Once there he went over to the couch where a bag was sitting.

Harry was excited, he was glad he could get back to his studying. Snape handed him a satchel and told him to unshrink the books he just had to take them out and set them down.

"Professor, is there any way I can have an extra room for my own personal space?" Harry asked as he got to unshrinking his things.

"In other words, you wish to know if you can have your own lab, am I correct?" Severus asked quirking an eyebrow at the raven-haired teen. 

"Yes, I mean I have my own ingredients so I don't have to use anyone else's, and I have my portable lab but it's not big enough to finish what I'm working on," Harry explained honestly.


"You have a portable lab, where is it?" Severus asked in surprise.

"It's a room in my trunk," Harry told him, and it was basically the only thing that was his. 

"That's interesting and yes you may have a space of your own, if you can wait 1 more day, I should be finished with it, and I'll show you where it is," Severus told the child, as he wanted Harry to flourish.

"You were making me one already?" Harry said in a bewildered tone. 

"Yes, I was; it was only fair I have one and so does Draco; not to mention I'm curious about a few of the potions that you were working on in your book," Severus said honestly.

"Cool, thank you, Professor," Harry said still a little bit bemused over the whole situation. 

"You're welcome, Harry, now go in your room and unpack your stuff. You can also decorate it however you like," Severus said dismissing the teen.

"Thank you, sir......for everything," Harry said softly before he turned and walked out of the room. 

As he walked down the hallways and towards the stairs, he felt like his heart might explode from how happy he was. Deciding on forgoing house colors, Harry's ceiling was enchanted like the Great Hall, and the walls were connected to his mood. At the moment they were an extremely bright yellow that nearly blinded him.

 After Harry had put everything away a house-elf popped in front of him to tell him that a late lunch was ready. He followed the elf who told him its name was Blinky. He stood in the doorway to the kitchen, seeing food on the table but Snape wasn't there. He's only been standing there for about 7 minutes before he heard a soft sigh behind him.

"Sit down Harry," Severus said softly as he passed the teen on his way to the table.

"Yes sir," Harry said not sure why the man sounded so quiet all of sudden.

"How do you like your room Harry?" Snape asked to get an understanding of how the boy was feeling at that moment.

"It's brilliant sir; thank you," Harry said honestly.

"That's good to hear, how did you decorate it?" Severus asked curious to see if the boy used his house colors or chose some other design.

 

"I used magic.... not with a wand though because I know that's against the rules, and I enchanted the ceiling just like the Great Hall, and the color of my walls depends on my mood. Right now it's a really bright yellow." Harry stated proudly, not thinking anything of his words.

"You did all that wandless?" Severus said lightly, not wanting to alarm the child of his tone. 

"Yes, because I'm still an underage wizard and I'm technically not allowed to use magic outside of school," Harry admitted, hoping Snape wouldn't be to upset that he had broken the rules already.

"That's fascinating Harry," Severus said calmly, not even going to admit to the child how hard wandless magic should be. He wasn't going to tell the boy how others failed to even grab a book wandlessy, let alone enchant whole rooms.

"Thank you, sir," Harry said, his chest filling with pride at the man's words. 

"You can continue to practice your wandless magic or you can use your wand. The wards around the manor shield the magic coming from within. Not to mention the Ministry knows that an adult wizard lives here and they can't differentiate between us. After lunch, may I see your room?" Severus asked, keeping mum on his excitement. 

"Sure", Harry answered, wondering why the man wanted to see in the first place but not feeling brave enough to ask. The conversation was light as they finished up their late lunch.

 Once done, they walked to Harry's room, Severus went in first and saw the yellow, and it was as bright as the sun until Harry walked in. When the child entered the room, the walls changed drastically from a happy sunshine color to a dreary black that had red streaks in them that reminded Severus of blood. 
He took a look at Harry, the child's face was blank and it reminded him of his own face when Albus chose not to take a situation seriously when he warned him of it. 

Severus tried to think back before to see what set Harry off, since the walls no longer had streaks, they actually looked as if they were bleeding. What the hell?

"Harry, are you ok? Don't answer that, it's a  redundant question, I can see the walls. What set this off?" Severus asked in growing concern as he turned to fully face the child. 

Harry didn't answer, focusing on fixing his mood. The walls changed to a pale blue, similar to the sky outside, it was fine but he had he really liked that bright yellow.

"Harry, did you think I didn't believe you about your room?" Severus asked, sure this was about that.

"Well you did ask to see my room as proof," Harry replied chewing on his lip nervously.

"No you foolish child, I wanted to see your room for myself, the way you described it had me interested. This is very advanced magic and done without a wand no less. You should be proud of yourself Harry, I know I am. I am very, very impressed," Severus added because it was clearly the boy who needed to hear him say it.

"Thank you sir," Harry said as a grin overtook his face, no one had ever said that to him before and actually sounded like they meant it. The yellow returned full blast and almost blinded them in the process.

Severus smiled to himself, happy that Harry's good mood had returned.

"I'm going to go finish your lab, but I want you to go outside and get your 2 hours of fresh air. Make sure you stay away from the wards; if you hit them they'll give you a pretty nasty shock as a warning. And stay away from the plants that are fenced in," he said not wanting the child to get a painful surprise.

"Oh ok, I wasn't going to hurt them you know. I took over my Aunt's garden at the Dursleys, so I know how fragile plants they can be." Harry said with a hurt look on his face.

What was with this child, was he truly that easily hurt, that he wore his heart on his sleeve? Had the boy always been this sensitive, but had he just chosen to ignore it and see what he wanted to see? That thought didn't make him feel good.

"Harry, I didn't mean to imply that you would hurt them, I just meant that most of the plants that are fenced in are poisonous and very dangerous. I didn't want you to have to deal with a life-threatening surprise," Severus explained. 

"Oh, I suppose that's fair," Harry replied, his face going back to indifference.

Severus hoped he would be able to help Harry get away from his masks. He missed the days when the child's face was an open book. 

"I shall leave you alone, if you need me call Blinky," he said before he swept out of the room. 

Harry shook his head as he headed over to the wall where his broom was standing in the corner. He wondered if Snape had meant what he said about the plants, it was just really hard to take anyone at face value anymore. As he thought about the previous conversation, he couldn't stop thinking about whether Snape wanted him to be safe or was afraid of him damaging his plants.

He knew potion ingredients weren't cheap after all, and he sighed wondering how everything had changed in a split second. He walked through the manor with silent footsteps as he headed downstairs and out the back door and towards the Quidditch pitch. Once he got out there his curiosity got the better of him, and he laid his broom on the grass and took a walk around the property. 

If Snape came out here, he would tell the man he was just doing a tour of the backyard but in actuality, he was looking specifically for the dangerous garden. It was right where Snape said it was, and he eagerly made his way to the gate. 

There was a muggle lock on it, but Harry wasn't dumb to think that there weren't also magical locks on it either. He wasn't too keen on trying to open it and try his professor's patience just yet, not when they just got here. He put his hands on the chain-link fence and pressed his face close to looking inside. He was trying to see if he recognized any of the plants.

He could see there was a mix of magical and muggle plants, and from the plants closest to the fence he could see some labels on them. He could see a Venomous Tentacula and shuddered as he remembered Professor Sprout's warning in their second year about that plant. He turned and frowned when he saw the labels for Water Hemlock and Nightshade, and he was glad for the warning. 

Even just touching Nightshade is dangerous, he shook his head and moved to look at more plants through the fence when he felt a sudden pinch on his left hand. He shook h his hand out and watched a spider land on the grass below him where he took pleasure in stepping on it. 

He looked at his hand in concern but the bite mark looked small and he shrugged it off. He got bitten by spiders before so this didn't bother him. Once he had gotten his fill of reading all of the labels, that he could see from this one side he turned to head back to his broom, he was ready to fly now. 

Well, he thought he was ready to fly, but as soon as he put his leg over his broom a wave of dizziness suddenly overcame him. It was only chance that he hadn't pushed off immediately like usual as he was soon on the ground, having lost his balance. He laid on the ground, with his eyes shut tight, his heart beating frantically in his chest. 

He took a couple of deep breaths but didn't sit up right away because the dizziness wasn't going away. What was going on? He wasn't sure how long he laid there and was quite sure he might have dozed off at one point. What he did know was he woke up to the sound of his professor's voice.

"Harry, it's time to come inside now," Severus called out, he could see the child laying on the grass looking at the sky. Oh, to be that young again. 

"Coming," Harry called, as he carefully sat up. 

He stood up carefully and grabbed his broom, the dizziness was gone, but his body felt achy on the inside and hot on the outside He was confused because he didn't know what was going on. He glanced at the bite on his hand but it didn't look irritated or swollen nor did it feel itchy, it felt fine. His throat felt dry and his head felt sweaty. He slowly made his way to the backdoor dropping his broom on the porch as he went inside.

"You look like you've had a good play," Severus said taking stock of the child's red and sweaty face.

Harry nodded, unsure of what to say. He didn't really fly at all, nor play but he couldn't explain why he looked the way he did.

"Dinner will be ready in a bit, so why don't you go have a shower and get cleaned up.  It should be ready by then," Severus told the child.

"Okay," Harry said easily because a shower did sound nice. His achy body would appreciate the unlimited hot water. With that thought in mind, he hurried up the steps and to his room. 

He felt very posh as he got his night clothes together and undressed and got into the shower. The hot water felt like heaven on his skin, but at the same time it made his back itch, it was a weird sensation. As he started washing up, the dizziness returned and it was all he could do not to fall on the tile. 

He closed his eyes, and turned the water a bit cooler, wondering if he should have hydrated properly before he got in the shower. He made sure to drink a few mouthfuls of the cooler water as he rinsed off. 
He didn't want to fall in the shower and bring his professor running which is why once the soap was off of his body, he turned off the water and moved to step out of the shower.

As he did his vision suddenly tilted and his body swayed dangerously as he grabbed for the counter on the bathroom sink to steady himself. What the heck was going on? 

He shook himself out and carefully took a seat on the closed toilet seat as he grabbed his towel. He was thankful the bathroom was heated as he stayed in that one spot, for a good while before he summoned the strength to put his night clothes on. 

He wondered if his body was crashing, as it had been an unusually busy couple of weeks. Promising to go to bed early he steadied himself and headed downstairs to the kitchen. His legs felt like lead as he got to the final step and nearly fell into his seat in relief once he was there. Harry grabbed for his water cup on the table, and quickly gulped it down, before grabbing the pitcher to refill it.

"Thirsty?" Severus asked lightly."Parched, I should've brought some water outside, I will next time," Harry admitted.

Severus nodded that he understood before he turned to look at dinner. They were having a simple stew with potatoes and vegetables and some homemade bread. It was light but filling and perfect for the night. 

Harry was grateful for the stew as well, his jaw felt just as achy as his body had felt before he got in the shower, and his throat was feeling a little tingly. He wondered if he was getting sick, which is why he appreciated the stew so much. He spooned it carefully in his mouth, his hand feeling heavy just like his legs had.

He muscled through it because he could see his professor was watching him, and he wanted the man concerned over nothing. The dinner was delicious and Harry hated how he couldn't enjoy it properly because his body wasn't cooperating. 

He swallowed the last bite of his bread and carefully put his spoon down. He needed to be excused, his hand was starting to shake and he just wanted to lie down and sleep whatever this was off. 

"Professor, I'm finished, can I be excused?" Harry asked wearily, fighting off a shudder that tried to wrack through his body. What was wrong? He wasn't cold, the kitchen was toasty warm. 

"You may, is everything alright?" Severus asked in concern.

"I don't know, I feel weird," Harry admitted before he could censor himself.

"Weird how?" Severus questioned, a little concerned now because Harry wasn't usually this fore coming with information.

"I feel really tired, and body feels achy, my head feels hot and my hands and legs feel heavy," Harry replied honestly. 

"You might be coming down with something," Severus said as he got up and made his way over to the child. He held his hand up before he gently touched the child's forehead with the back of his hand.

"You don't feel warm but that doesn't mean a thing, would you like a potion?" He asked instead.

"No, I'm okay, I think I just need to sleep," Harry said softly.

"Alright if you're sure," Severus told the child, still a little bit concerned as he stepped back and retook his seat.

"Thank you sir, goodnight," Harry said quietly.

"Goodnight Harry," Severus said before he turned back to this stew, knowing the child didn't want to be watched. 

Once his professor's eyes were back on his food, Harry slowly got up from the table holding onto it briefly before he let it go. He didn't want to sway like he had in the bathroom, as he was very mindful that he was being watched even if the man didn't look to be. 

He walked up the stairs, his hands holding tightly to the banister as he somehow made it back to his room. Once he was there, he closed the door and collapsed on the bed, groaning softly into his pillow. He wondered why his body ached and how come his back was suddenly really itchy.

 He glanced back at the hand got had gotten bitten earlier but it still looked normal, what was going on, was he getting sick? He could hear Snape downstairs cleaning up, and he finally drifted off into a restless sleep.

 

~*~*~*~*~*

 

Harry woke up in the middle of the night, pushing off his covers in one movement feeling like he was about to suffocate and nauseated beyond belief. It took a moment before he could move without feeling like he was going to be sick any minute.

 He felt so very sickly and he didn't know why. He waved his hand to spell the lights and that's when he noticed just how swollen his left hand now was. He could see how vividly the bite mark stood out against his skin and he now knew he was having some type of reaction to the spider bite. He needed Snape.

It was dark outside and the manor was silent, which meant that his professor was probably asleep at this point in time. He wasn't sure how the man would take to having a house-elf pop into his room at this time of night and contemplated waiting until tomorrow. At least that was his initial plan before he stood up and made his way to the mirror to look at himself. 

 

He gasped softly, as he saw his face had this bright red rash on it, not to mention the hives on his neck, and after lifting up his shirt, on his stomach as well. Something was very wrong here, and he took a deep breath to stave off the panic. Feeling much too wobbly, Harry made his way to his bed, falling on it and willing his heart to slow down. 

"Blinky, please get the Professor, tell him something's wrong with me," Harry whispered out to the air, knowing the elf would hear him. 

Harry didn't hear the house-elf, but he knew his message had gotten relayed as he heard a door opening down the hall before the sound of running feet was heard. It was an interesting experience because Snape was usually super silent when he walked or did anything. 

Severus walked through the child's door without knocking and made his way over to the bed. The boy's green eyes stood out even more without his glasses on and amid all the red spots all over his body.

"What is this, Harry? What happened?" He asked worriedly, reaching forward to touch the child's head again, noting this time it was very warm.

Harry shrugged, feeling very stupid all of sudden. Why hadn't he told Snape about the bite last night? 
"What are you allergic to? Was it something we ate last night?" Severus asked, summoning some potions that he thought might help.

" I got bit by a spider yesterday," Harry said as he held up his affected hand to show the man.

"Merlin," Severus said quietly as he looked at the child's obviously swollen appendage.

"And my back itches too," Harry admitted, he might as well come fully clean. He could depend on his teacher to help him. 

"That's because you're covered in hives; I don't have the correct potion that you need here. Come on we need to head to the Infirmary," Severus told the child carefully. He didn't want him to panic because that would make everything worse. 

Harry stood up and made to move to walk when he felt his knees buckle, and prepared himself to fall. Thankfully his Professor was right there and had scooped him before he was even close to the ground.

Severus didn't say anything as he carried the child down the stairs and to the floo room. The boy was still much too light, it felt like he was carrying a small child with how little the boy weighed.

He grabbed the floo powder and after making sure he was holding tightly to Harry he flooed to the Hogwarts Infirmary. 


Harry was surprised that despite the late hour, the Infirmary has a light glow in it. He didn't see Madam Pomfrey but he knew she was nearby and so did his professor.

"Poppy, can you get your universal spider bite venom kit; Harry here is allergic to spiders it seems," Severus said calmly, watching as the office of the woman opened, and out, she came. 

Harry turned to look at the Medi-witch with a wry smile, shaking his head as he was gently deposited onto the bed. He didn't want to acknowledge how he felt after being held close to someone he was beginning to consider his father figure.

 "Of course, Severus set him down there. Alright, Mr. Potter, this won't hurt at all," Poppy said easily as she spelled the potion into the child's bloodstream. 

Harry wondered as he felt himself getting drowsy if something else was in that potion, or it just might have been the late hour. He could hear the Medi-witch explaining how the hives would go away after a week if he didn't scratch them and made sure to put the Anti-itch Salve on. 

Harry mused to himself that Snape was constantly saving him and wondered what it would be like to ever return the favor. 

"You can take him home Severus, he doesn't need to stay here," Poppy said fondly as she saw the child going to sleep. 

"Thank you, Poppy," Severus said quietly as he picked the child up, and ignoring Poppy's smile, flooed back to Prince Manor holding his precious cargo tightly in his arms. 

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3033