Runaways by Whitsnitch91
Summary: They went through the same, and yet they were so different. They had the same secret and yet reacted so different.
Severus saves two boys, takes them in and tries to change everything, now that he knows, and yet everything is already different.
Will he be able to keep control of what he had planned? Will he manage with two boys on his hands, two boys that keep him busy?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Stern
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Runaway, Time Travel
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 48318 Read: 48919 Published: 08 Mar 2014 Updated: 24 Mar 2014
Chapter 10 by Whitsnitch91
Author's Notes:
Alright, new chapter is up.

Please let me know what you think.

I can't believe it!” Pierce exclaimed once more, as he read the article with his best friend, wide-eyed.

“Yeah, it seems silly to me. Who in their right mind would care if a ten year old returned or not, I mean, there must have been real heroes in the war, don't you think?”

“They even mentioned me,” Pierce said after shrugging at his friend.

“Well, he left this list here, and wants the both of us to get a head start on it. He also said that you should take a shower and get dressed and everything.”

Pierce picked up the role of parchment before he groaned, “Homework?”

“Yeah, he said we would have to do them anyway, once school starts, so we should get a head start.”

“Well, he can go screw himself,” Pierce growled, throwing the list back down onto the table frowning at it.

“Pierce, what's wrong man?”

“He made him change his mind, he is all intent on going to that school now. You know what happens with us now? We will be sent to an orphanage, or foster care, because we can't go home. But school closes over the summer break, and we can't live by ourselves.”

“Snape said he would take care of everything. I mean, even if we can't stay with Terrance, at least we got out, right?”

“I wanted to live with Terrance, and I will. Ter' will realize that Snape can't tell him what to do!”

“You should stop fighting him, it got you smacked already. And you were really mean.”

“What the hell is wrong with you? You wanted to live with Ter' as well.”

“I didn't even know Ter', I just wanted to get out and go from there. I would rather live in the streets than be sent back home.”

“So you just came with me, because it was better than staying home? I thought you were my friend.”

“I am your friend, and I came with you because it was better than home. I didn't even know you when I went with you. And we became friends on the way.”

“And now you take that guys side over me?”

“I am not taking anyone's side, it just makes sense, don't you see that Pierce? Ter' was accepted to a good University and we can't make him miss out on that, that wouldn't be fair!”

“So you are taking Snape's side. You said we would never split up!”

“Well, I don't want to split up, but if you want to go live with Ter', well I can't Pierce.”

“Why, because you are all famous now? Are you too good for me now?”

“No, I didn't even know that I was famous when I went with you, and I am still your friend, you are just really man right now, and I don't like that.” Harry said, feeling his stomach flutter with anger.

“I am still the same person, you are the one that changed, and you are the famous one now. The one that everyone knows!” Pierce screamed, before shoving at him, rather forcefully.

“Stop it,” Harry cried out, shoving back. “You are stupid, I am still the same Harry,” Pierce shoved him back viciously.

“You didn't even come to me yesterday, you made me stay all by myself, all night.”

“I wasn't allowed,” Harry yelled back, even though he did hesitate for just a second. He had never even asked if he could go to Pierces room.

“Who cares, you are my friend, you should have just come anyway.”

“You shouldn't have been so rude and stupid and you wouldn't have been sent to your room.” Harry yelled back.

“I wasn't stupid,” Pierce pushed Harry so hard this time, that he flew into the table, the edge cutting into his hip rather sharply, surely bruising him, but this fight he was willing to take. This was not Dudley, who was eighty pounds heavier than him. This time he wasn't fighting Dudley who would always win because his parents favoured him. This time it was a fight he could win, a fight he could fight, and he was hurt, and angry!

So the both of them ended on the ground next to the dining room table a minute later, viciously kicking and hitting each other, pulling hair and scratching at each other, arms and faces. Every other minute the two would roll over each other and one would end in a deadlock and a minute or so would pass with both of them just laying still, grasping for breath, silently whimpering at their aches before some energy returned and the one being held would begin struggling again. They fought for nearly twenty minutes, both rather bruised and scratched rather bad when all energy left them. Both lay panting next to each other, rubbing at their shins, sniffling once in a while.

“I really don't like you right now, you are behaving as spoilt as my cousin,” Harry mumbled before pushing himself off of the ground, whimpering slightly when his throbbing eyebrow gave a particular bad throb. He limped into his own room, opening his closet to change his clothes, his new t-shirt town and his slacks badly wrinkled. When he washed his face and hands a minute later, making sure to press his face under the cold water, cooling the forming bruises, did an idea occur to him. He still had some bruise balm left, and if he was careful he could spread it over his face and maybe the Professor wouldn't notice anything.

Pierce did not have the same mindset. The moment he limped into his room, anger surged through him, new fresh anger. Picking up his clothes from his bed, he tossed them through the room, screaming angrily, kicking at the bed he picked up his books, and tossed them at the door, a sense of satisfaction washing through him when they banged rather loudly. His nose was still oozing blood and it soaked through his pajamas shirt slowly. Snape would kill the both of them for fighting when he came back, and there was no way that they could hide it. Fear and anger surged through him, as he leaned against his bed post, panting heavily.

“Pierce,” Harry mumbled through the closed door, knocking softly when he opened the door, Pierce was surprised to find his friends face fully healed. He knew for a fact that he had punched and scratched him quite bad, he had even seen the damage.

“I don't think it would be good if Snape figured out that we- oh wow,” Harry gasped when he stuck his head through the door, taking in the mess.

“What?” Pierce snapped, guilt already forming.

“The bruise balm, he gave us, you can spread that on your face and hands, it'll heal it. And maybe you should clean this mess up, Snape is already pretty upset with you, and you might not want to make it worse.”

“What do you care, you won't ever get into any trouble anymore anyways.”

“What, wait, what is that supposed to mean?”

“You know exactly what I mean! No matter what you do now, you don't get into trouble. You destroyed his stuff yesterday and he went to talk with you, he didn't hit you or yell or anything. I just throw a book and get put in the corner like a two year old.”

“I was punished, I had to write lines and an essay. And he told me I'd get smacked if I ever did it again.”

“but you didn't get hit, I always get hit for little things.”

“No, you got hit because you were rude and screaming and all, he doesn't like disrespect and that's all you keep giving him.”

“Get out of my room!” Pierce yelled after a second of silence, him staring at Harry with a disbelieving look in his eyes, feeling betrayed.

“Just heal those bruises, we don't need to get into trouble.”

“Well, maybe you'll finally get into trouble if he sees how hard you hit me,” Pierce snapped at him, a glare on his face, but he was pale, as he stood, his fingers trembling by his side, seeming lost.

“Wait, that's not fair. I looked the same way, I just put the cream on!”

“Get OUT! You are a traitor, just like all of them. Maybe it's a wizard thing, maybe I am not one of you after all!” Pierce yelled, forcing himself to sit back down on his still unmade bed, his room a disaster around him.

“You really are a prat,” Harry growled, before turning around and slamming the door.

 

 

“HEY!” Snape snapped the moment the portrait closed behind him, the loud bang of Pierces room door and startling him somewhat. He saw a red faced Potter stormed into his own room half a second later, slamming his own door shut as well. Snape stood dumbfounded for a few seconds before shaking his head, setting down his heavy bag by the door, he walked into his kitchen slowly, getting a tea ready for himself, this day had already seemed way too long.

"Alright, both of you, come here," he called after having taken a couple of minutes to calm down, now standing by his dining room table, glancing at the chair that was laying by his feet, the table misplaced by a few inches and a tiny speckle of blood on a otherwise rather clean tile.

"If I have to start counting you already earned yourself a smack, if I reach three you get three smacks, so come out here right now!" He called next and was rather surprised to find Pierce, not Harry rushing out of his room. When glancing at the blonde boy though, he nearly frowned. The first second he laid eyes on him, he was rather sure that the boys face had been discolored, that there had been a faint bruise around his chin, now though, the boy looked perfectly fine, if you didn't pay mind to the blood stained shirt.

"Why are you still in your nightclothes?" He managed to ask instead, as he caught himself staring.

"I haven't gotten around to showering yet," Pierce chose to reply, before he whimpered slightly when he himself allowed his eyes to fall downward, taking in the now dry splotches of blood on his shirt.

"Potter, do not make me start counting!" Snape called glancing down the hallway, Potters door remaining shut. Sighing Snape steeled his resolve and shook his head softly. "One, Potter."

He gave himself nearly two minutes before he reached three, his heart pounding in his own ears as he made his way down the hallway, stopping short in front of Potters door, knowing that he would have to go through with it now, knowing that both boys had heard his threat, of what would happen if he counted, and what would come if he happened to reach three. His right hand felt heavy as he lifted it to knock, before turning the door knob.

"Are you deaf, Mr. Potter? Because there is no way you could not have heard me, unless you are exactly that."

Harry felt his blood run cold as he glanced at the man, standing in the open doorway now, he knew he should have gotten up and run into the living room the moment the man had called for them, and he should have surely run when the man laid out his rules about the counting, and especially when the man had reached two, but he was so angry! So angry!

"Get up and come over here young man, right now!" Snape forced himself to say, as stern as he could muster, even as he felt his pulse quicken, knowing what he had to do, what he would make himself do. To his surprise the boy got up without discussing, and while he was considerably slow as he took a few tentative steps towards him, he came. Snape took the boy by the shoulder an turned him sideways, before tapping the boys bum hard enough to cause a slight sting, three times quickly, not surprised to find the boy completely still, even after he had tensed up considerably.

"Never, ever let me reach three again, is that clear young man?"

"Yes, sir." Harry whispered, not capable of lifting his head to look the man into the eyes, red faced as the embarrassment of it all caught up to him. Here he stood, ten years old, being smacked on the rear because he wouldn't listen?

"Good, because I hate this, I don't ever want to come in here again, to smack you, just because you think you can disobey me." Snape growled, before walking the boy out of his room, not letting go of his upper arm, holding onto it, not hard, merely a suggestive gesture, but still guiding him into the living room.

"Now, what happened in here, hm?" Snape asked, eying the blood stained shirt of Pierce one more time.

"Nothing sir," Pierce answered immediately.

"Dishonesty? Really, you want to make this worse for you?" Snape asked, immediately, eying the young small child sternly, who to his relief at least had the decency to lower his eyes somewhat.

"Potter?" He asked next, glancing at the boy who had his bottom lip sucked into his mouth, not glancing up to look at him once.

"You two were fighting, and while I don't know what about, as you are not speaking up, I will tell you right now, that fighting will not be tolerated. You are both old enough to use your words, there is no need to throw punches. I will not have two punks living in my house. This just keeps getting better! The moment I turn my back, my quarters get destroyed, because one of you is playing around with magic, and the other one doesn't even manage to put away his clothes and clean his room. Now you two beat each other bloody. Well let me tell you something, I have had it. I am so close, so close," he paused to bring his index finger and thumb together, nearly touching, "to take both of you over my knee."

He waited for either of the boys to say something, but both simply stood, heads lowered, eyes not meeting his, fidgeting slightly.

"Alright, neither of you decide to speak or fess up, and personally there is nothing worse for me than being lied to, so I won't press it. But know this, as long as the two of you decide to behave like two immature punks, I shall treat you as such. And since I see that neither of you started on the assignment list I placed out, I shall make it a requirement instead of a suggestion. From now on you will complete three of them daily. You are both grounded to your rooms until further notice. Since I can't trust the two of you to behave when around each other, I shall have to limit your interaction. Both, grab a copy of the list and get back into your room, I shall call you out when dinner is ready, perhaps one of you will decide to man up and speak up. Potter you may go, Rodgers, stay for just a moment."

He waited until Harry had hurried from the room, before turning towards the somewhat trembling blonde boy.

"You will shower young man, and get dressed. And then you will clean that room of yours. I will check it after lunch, and if I find that it is not clean, then you will find out just how displeased I am at your behavior as of late, is that understood?"

"Yes, sir."

"Very well, you are excused, do as I said now."

 

Snape fell into his chair the moment Pierce had hurried towards his own room, exhaling loudly. This was not what he had expected upon returning to his quarters! With a flick of his wrist he had the quarters neat and orderly again. This would be hell, both of them would bring him to an early grave! He had lunch delivered by the house elves twenty minutes later and set the table by himself, not too desperate to be surrounded by both boys any longer than upmost necessary at this moment. the two of them hadn't looked at each other and he knew the two of them had been fighting, just what about? Harry joined him three minutes later, glancing around the living room shortly, as if to make sure that Pierce was either there, or not there, Snape wasn't sure.

"You may begin eating, once you have cleaned off your plate you are excused back to your room." He said, face stern, but the boy didn't need to be told twice. The moment he sat down, he began cutting up his plate, and eating quickly, but yet with manners. He had his plate almost cleaned off by the time Snape had sat down and began cutting his lean chicken and when Pierce joined them. Pierce was showered and also reeked of his balms. The new blue long sleeved shirt fitting over his skinny chest smugly, his black slacks held up by a belt. Pierce didn't look at either of them as he himself began eating, he did startle somewhat though, when Harry suddenly stood up, pushing his chair in, grabbing his plate and glass, bringing it into the kitchen before mumbling a quick thank you, and then hurrying back to his own room.

"You want to tell me what's going on in that head of yours, hm?" Snape asked after having watched the boy carefully, a guilt stricken look on his face was quickly replaced by anger once Harry had left the table, before he was once again left with eyes that seemed rather sad, poking at his forehead suggestively but yet playfully.

"I was a real prat, and I am sorry," he began, words coming out hesitant, it almost seemed as if it was the first apology the boy ever made. "Harry and I, well Harry told me that I was a jerk and I was mad and upset because Terrance won't take me with him now, even though he had promised and because you made him go to that school, and that's why he can't now. Well, I was still really angry  when I came out earlier, and Harry told me I was a prat, and then we fought."

Snape frowned, there was something the boy was leaving out, he could practically see it in the boy's face. "And?"

"And this stupid article in the paper, that's what started it. I mean, with him being all famous now, that just changes everything. we aren't alike anymore now. Now he'll be the one getting all the extra treatment and he'll be the one never getting into trouble anymore. That's what we both hated, you know? We always spoke about that, that it was unfair that we got into trouble for nothing and others got the special treatment just because they had more money or so."

"And you decided to rub that into his face, hm?"

"Well, not really. I just pointed it out, and I didn't know he was punished yesterday, I mean, if I had done that magic and destroyed your table I just know that you have hit me. and Harry, you just talked to him, well, at least that's what I thought," Pierce said softly after a few seconds of silence, ears pink now."

"And Harry told you that he was punished also?"

"Yes, but we fought because I said that he was taking your side, and well, he didn't like that, and then I was so angry, that I shoved him, and then we ended up fighting."

"And that's where all the bruises and cuts came from, the one you tried hiding, hm?"

"Yeah," Pierce mumbled softly, not looking up, simply poking at the single piece of cauliflower that was left on his plate.

"Thank you, for being honest," Severus said thoughtfully after a few seconds, before he sighed softly. "I had hoped that this entire jealousy would take a few months to develop, I had even hoped that perhaps it would take a few years," he said as he refilled the boys glass with pumpkin juice. "Harry is famous for something he can't even remember doing. He is famous because an evil wizard came into his house and murdered his parents, with only him surviving. He is rich because that evil wizard decided to kill everyone that Harry could have ever called family. He killed his parents, his grandparents and thus Harry inherited a lot of money. there's even been families that left him things, just because they felt they owed him, families Harry never even knew about, people that probably never even met him." Snape explained softly, nodding sadly when Pierce looked at him with a frown on his face.

"That fame Pierce, is not an easy one to carry. He is not famous for inventing a toy, for saving another life, he is famous for surviving and for vanquishing the Dark Lord. And he only just now found out that he was famous."

"But what now? What will I do now?"

"You are his best friend, stand by him, help him. Show him that you are his best friend, not only for his money and fame, but because of who he is. You are the only friend he has that became friends with him not knowing of his story. Harry will never again make that experience. From now on everyone he meets already knows his name, knows his history. Many people probably know more about his parents, about that terrible night than he does himself, and don't you think that that is terrible?"

"So do you think that he is unhappy, with being famous?"

"I know he is Pierce. He not only told me so repeatedly, but his face also shows. I bet you were excited when you read your name in the paper, right? Harry was annoyed, Pierce, he didn't like it at all."

"But why? There is so much he can do now." Pierce said, eyes shining as probably the most childish ideas came to his mind.

"Yes, but there is also so much that he can't, Pierce. You need to understand, that he can't really ever behave like another boy, be mischievous like any other boy, because little pranks could go a long way in his case. People will always be watching him, will wait for him to fail, only to publish it and let the entire Wizarding Britain know. That is going to be a whole lot of pressure and stress."

"Oh," Pierce mumbled, he had never thought of that.

"So, like Britney Spears, right? She decided to shave her head, and it was her own hair and such, and everybody made a big deal of it, saying she was sick and all, they even took her children from her."

"Yes, while I am not familiar with that story, I could assume that if it had been any other lady, no one would have cared or at least cared enough to take her children from her."

"The same will happen with Harry?"

"He will have to learn to be careful now, with the way he acts and speaks. He can have a very normal life, if he accepts who he is and learns to just adapt."

"I guess I didn't make it much easier for him, huh?"

"No, he is stressed out as it is, you teasing him with it, and showing him just how different he actually is now, that he is different now and will be treated differently, well I don't think it helped matters much. But it is not permanent, don't worry. You are both still young enough to talk things through and learn from your mistakes."

"So how can I help?"

"As much as it might excite or annoy you, you are now also in the public's eye, simply because you were mentioned in that article as one of Harry's friends. help him by showing him that he is not alone now. While he will always be the main focus, you are also being watched now. Show him that you were friends with him not because he is famous, but because of the boy he is. He needs to know that, he needs to feel that."

"Should I go and talk with now?"

"No, you should go back to your room. While it was good to have this little talk, we will not forget that you are being punished."

"But I didn't know-"

"That fighting was bad? Oh yes you did. And that is why you are being punished. But I guess I can rethink my original plan of grounding you for a month." Snape smirked, as he watched with satisfaction when the boys mouth dropped open.

"For a whole month?" He asked, wide-eyed.

"As I said, I guess I'll have to rethink that, but for now, go back to your room and begin cleaning and start on those assignments, oh and Mr. Rodgers?"

"Yes?"

"I will check your room after Dinner, and if it still a mess then, then you will be grounded for a month, is that understood?"

"Yes, sir."

Terrance arrived two hours later, right as Snape came out of his fourth year lesson, rather relieved that he only had one more day of classes. He only had his OWL students tomorrow and would probably cut that lesson very, very short.

"Mr. Rodgers," he greeted as he opened the portrait welcoming the young man into his private quarters with a quick nod, "both boys are grounded to their rooms. I still have to take Potter out with me today though, as we have an appointment and can't afford to miss it. Since Mr. Potter is allowed out of his rooms, I figure that it would be fair to allow your cousin to leave his room also. They do have a couple of games in their rooms, so I am sure that you'll find something to do. Your cousin needs to clean and organize his room though, and I would much appreciate it, if you remind him of the fact that he will be grounded until the end of the month if he doesn't get it done until dinner tonight. And you are under no circumstances allowed to assist him in any means, am I clear?"

"Yes, sir. Um, so we shouldn't play any games until he cleaned, right?"

"That would be wise. I placed a couple of Potions Weekly magazines on the coffee table by the fireplace. You are welcome to read them. If Potter and I don't return by six, you two are welcome to have dinner without us. The house elves will bring dinner at six sharp. After dinner I need him to calm down, no new hysterics tonight. Bedtime is eight sharp. He needs to administer some balms before bedtime, he will know which ones. I highly doubt that Potter and I will take that long, but if we don't return you will know what to do."

"Yes, sir."

"And Mr. Rodgers, I need not remind you that you are not allowed to leave the quarters with your cousins, under any circumstances, correct?"

"No, I understand. Is there anything else?"

"He also has a homework list, he knows that I expect three done a day, which is part of their punishment for fighting, perhaps you want to remind him of that as well."

"That's a lot, three. And classes haven't even started yet."

"Yes, it would be wise if they got a head start. They will be taking classes during the summer and then probably extra classes once they start here."

"Extra classes?"

"Yes, being friends with Potter is not always only pleasure."

"With pleasure comes pain, that's what my father always said anyway."

"Yes, but no need to stress your cousin with that yet. Just make sure he cleans his room, starts on the assignments and puts on his balms, can I trust you with that?"

"Yes, sir," Terrance replied immediately, mentally taking notes, praying that he wouldn't mess up and then have to face the professors wrath, which was much feared by all students.

 

"Rodgers, Potter, come out here," he called an instant later and watched with some satisfaction when Terrance jumped slightly at his raised voice, good, so he hadn't lost it yet.

"Yeah?" Pierce called out, but both boys came out of their rooms nearly simultaneously.

"Don't say yeah," Snape nearly immediately admonished, unconsciously, before his eyes fell on Potter who still didn't meet his eyes.

"Do you remember when I told you about the eye-specialist? The healer was able to fit us into his schedule when another patient had to cancel on short notice. Please go and fetch your cloak and comb your hair, then meet me back out here."

Harry turned without another word, not glancing at his friend nor looking at Ter. Snape noticed Pierce's crestfallen look immediately, and for a moment felt almost sad for him, he knew that this friendship would have its ups and downs, he had truly hoped thought that it would take a few months at least before any tensions would arise.

"Your cousin will be babysitting you today while Potter and I are at the clinic. he knows that you are being punished, and I also told him what I expect of you for today. under no circumstances are you to ask him to help you clean your rooms, I would much appreciate if didn't have to punish you for that. So please don't put him into an uncomfortable position by asking him, or being complicated about it."

"Yes, sir."

"And you are also to still finish those three assignments. Here your cousin may offer some advice. As soon as you are finished with those chores, may you spend some quality time with your cousin."

"Thank you," Terrance immediately replied.

 

 

Pierce hurried back into his room after hugging his cousin hello and apologizing for his temper he had displayed during his previous visit the night before, before promising that he would clean his room and then work on the assignments so the two of them could play together. Just as Pierce closed his door, Harry came out of his, and Snape wasn't sure whether or not the boy had waited for just that. He was wearing his new cloak, but his now combed hair was still a mess, reminding Severus of his father, which to his surprise didn't bring that strong feeling of hatred as it had his entire life.

"Will it hurt?" Harry asked as Snape guided him towards the fireplace, explaining Floo Travel.

"No, it might be a little uncomfortable as we might spin a little, but there is no pain."

"The eye-specialist?"

"Won't hurt either, it might be a little uncomfortable as well, but I am not experienced in that field, so you might want to ask the doctor those questions yourself."

 

 

Harry stood stiff by his side as Snape held him to him close, the green flames errupting around them, engulfing them. Snape heard him gasp and help him even a little tighter, just as the flames whisked them away. They nearly stumbled when Snape pulled him out alongside with them to Saint Mungus. The first thing he did was making sure that the boys hair was still covering his scar before handing him a stomach soother. Harry looked positively green in the face and drakn the potion Snape handed him down, without asking any questions, nor complaining, simply quietly thanking him, when he felt his stomach settled.

"Are you ready?" Severus asked, standing and not commenting on the boys hand that still was grasping his cloak tightly.

"What if someone recognizes me?"

"Then you will shake their hand and behave like a polite young man, yes?"

"I don't want them to stare at my head like Mr. Bumbleton did," Harry mumbled, before blushing and pulling his hand from the cloak when he saw a young woman smiling as she watched saw them.

"I understand, but there is nothing that can be done about that."

"It won't even go away with the scar removal cream you gave me," Harry mumbled and Snape raised his eyebrows somewhat at that.

"It's a cursescar, those can not be removed. I myself have a few, and will have to carry them for the rest of my life," Snape said softy and Harry lifted his head, glancing at him for a short second before his eyes fell again. "Now, I won't punish you for using the balm in a way that I didn't tell you too, but you need to understand that it is important that you only use those balms or potions I give you for the things I give them to you for, clear?"

"Yes, sir."

"Alight, then let's not keep the Healer waiting any longer," Severus said, placing a reassuring hand on the boys shoulder, walking them up to the main desk.

"Appointment at the eye specialist, Severus Snape," Severus said to the young lady, who didn't even look up, but instead flicked her wand a few times.

"Accompanied by whom?"

"Harry Potter," Severus said, voice low, hoping the woman wouldn't freak out and cause a scene.

"Oh," at this moment the girl did indeed lift her head, looking over the counter at the now firmly blushing boy.

"Come over here for a second please Harry," she said, voice low motioning for him to step around the counter, which the boy did after a few seconds of hesitation, being prompted by a soft hand on his shoulders. "Welcome back young man, you can't imagine how long we have waited for your return," she said, placing a soft hand on his forearm, at which the boy finally managed to raise his head shyly.

"Thank you," he said, offering a small smile.

"I bet that this must be very confusing, and I wouldn't want to be in your place," she said, before grabbing a sucker out of a box and handing it to the boy, offering a small smile herself.

"It's a pleasure to meet you young man," she said, eyes flicking towards his fringe only shortly.

"It's nice meeting you too, Miss Lorin," Harry replied, accepting the sucker as he quickly looked at her nametag.

"Well Professor Snape, fifth floor.You take this elevator right here, step out to the right and it should be the fifth door on your left."

"Thank you Miss," Snape said, placing a hand on Harry's shoulder once again, accepting the two name badges she handed, but keeping them in his hand for now. Harry was still as they stepped into the elevator, head low as he glanced at the sucker still in his hand.

"You did very well," Severus said quietly, giving the shoulder a gentle and subtle squeeze, not missing the soft intake of breath from the boy and the immediately relaxing shoulders, making a silent vow to bring forth this reaction more often from this moment on.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Hope you liked it, if you did let me know why, if you didn't let me know as well.

Thanks :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3038