So Close by Halfbloodprincess21
Summary:

Set at the end of third year. Severus overhears Harry by chance on his final patrol before the summer and begins to suspect that the Gryffindor's home life isn't as idyllic as he assumed. Twelve years ago, he made a promise to protect him, and he intends to keep it.


Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 3rd Year, 4th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Coming Home
Chapters: 37 Completed: Yes Word count: 206340 Read: 341719 Published: 08 Mar 2014 Updated: 11 Nov 2023
So Close: Chapter 1 by Halfbloodprincess21

S.S.

Severus Snape stalked through the corridors, his robes billowing out behind him. Patrolling at night was a hideous waste of his time and not something the Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry should be required to do. However, it was the last night of term and in a few short hours he would be blissfully free from students for the summer.

The knowledge that this was the last patrol he would be required to perform for the year made the chore tolerable. He didn't dare hope to catch any wandering students tonight as they were all eagerly awaiting the summer, though he wouldn’t deny that he relished the idea of catching Potter out past curfew, particularly because he knew damn well that he had something to do with Black evading capture.

H.P.

Harry had patiently waited for the snores of his roommates to fill the dormitory before slipping on his father's invisibility cloak, creeping out of his four-poster and slipping down the stairs. He'd wanted just one night of freedom before he was sent back to the Dursleys. So, at one-thirty in the morning he could be found sitting on the floor of a disused classroom on the seventh floor, his invisibility cloak discarded beside him.

This was the room he’d found the Mirror of Erised, where his parents had seemed most real. Even though it was gone now, it was the place where he’d been nearest them. They’d been just out of reach. If they were going to be able to hear him anywhere, it’d be here.

He checked the map, and the coast was clear. Filch had long since gone to bed and Mrs Norris was in the dungeons, most likely looking for a spider to eat. Snape was on the sixth floor, probably heading for Gryffindor Tower and hoping to lose them some points before the next year had even begun.

He’d spent all day pretending to be excited for the summer with his housemates, and though Ron and Hermione knew how he really felt, they just didn't understand about this summer. They didn't understand why this time it was so much worse.

"Hi, Mum," Harry breathed. The word felt odd to say, unfamiliar in his mouth. "I don't know if you can hear me or if you’re listening… but if you're up there you might be, especially considering what happened this year."

S.S.

Severus paused on the seventh floor. One of the classroom doors he’d checked previously was slightly ajar. Standing still, with the castle silent, he could hear the faint sound of a child talking. He smiled grimly. Gryffindors out of bounds meant they’d be starting the next school year in minus points, and these students would be dicing flobberworms come September.

He stalked closer, his footsteps inaudible, and the voice became clearer. Potter. This was too good. But there was no sense rushing in; it couldn't hurt to hear what the Golden Trio were plotting.

Too often the headmaster dismissed Severus’ concerns about the boy’s rule-breaking and arrogance. Not this time.

"I almost had it," Potter whispered sadly. "I wished for thirteen years that I could live anywhere but with the Dursleys. And I know I have Hogwarts, Mum, but I don’t want to go back to them every summer.”

Snape frowned. The child wasn’t talking to either Weasley or Granger; he was talking to Lily. The fact that he was not only James Potter’s son hit him full force. He had promised to protect the boy for her and he was; someone had to stop the child from breaking rules and parading about the castle as if he owned the place, and so what if he got a little satisfaction from his small revenge?

Curiosity held him in place. He wanted to hear what the child would say to Lily.

"I thought this was it. I should have known it was too good to be true when Sirius offered to take me in. He’d have let me ask about you and dad. All Aunt Petunia ever said was that you died in a car crash and dad was unemployed, and that wasn’t even true. And I know I don't know Sirius, but he wouldn’t have been worse than the Dursleys. He was dad's best friend and he actually wants me to live with him. That must count for something." Potter's voice picked up volume. "It's not fair." He punctuated the final word with what sounded like a kick to a chair from the sound of the legs scraping against the stone floor.

“I know I have Hogwarts and Ron, Hermione, and the rest of the Weasleys. And I know things are better than they were; I've not been in the cupboard for three years, and it’s only for the summer anyway."

Something twisted in Severus’ stomach. His instincts were telling him that Potter was not exhibiting warning signs, but sending up a flare. This wasn’t right. Severus had been cruel, harsh and spiteful towards Potter, but the arrogant child needed taking down a peg or two. He’d had been coddled for eleven years in the muggle world and then hero-worshipped when he rejoined the wizarding one. Now, there was a flaw to his logic. What if he was wrong?

"It was just so close," the boy whispered sadly. "I know you can't fix this even if you can hear me. I mean the whole cupboard thing wouldn't have happened, or the bars on the window fiasco, but maybe you could pull a few strings. Ron said something about the Quidditch World Cup…"

Severus Snape stood outside the classroom, frozen in place, as he considered what he’d heard. The Potter he knew, the arrogant, rule-breaking, cheeky brat wasn't the same boy who was in that classroom. Lily would be crushed if she could hear what her son had said, and she would move mountains to make sure he was safe. He owed Lily – he'd made a promise.

He heard Potter stand up and walk towards the door. Severus Snape turned on his heel and left.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3040