So Close by Halfbloodprincess21
Summary:

Set at the end of third year. Severus overhears Harry by chance on his final patrol before the summer and begins to suspect that the Gryffindor's home life isn't as idyllic as he assumed. Twelve years ago, he made a promise to protect him, and he intends to keep it.


Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 3rd Year, 4th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Coming Home
Chapters: 37 Completed: Yes Word count: 206340 Read: 341769 Published: 08 Mar 2014 Updated: 11 Nov 2023
Chapter 13 by Halfbloodprincess21

S.S.

"Lupin, a word," Severus said, gesturing to the kitchen as soon as Lupin stepped out of the fireplace. Potter gave him a puzzled look, but he ignored him.

"Just a minute, Harry," Lupin said to Potter as he followed him to the kitchen.

"Is there a problem?" The wolf asked politely, but with a hardness to his voice that said he hadn't forgotten their last conversation.

"No. I just wanted to inform you that you need to keep an eye on Potter. He was ill this week and nothing short of collapsing where he stood would get him to admit to being in pain."

"Is he still unwell?"

"Obviously not. The boy is waiting in the living room holding a broomstick."

"Was it anything serious?"

"No, but he's been experiencing pain in his scar. If it happens again while he's with you, let me know."

"Careful, Severus, you're beginning to sound like you care about him," the wolf said with what Severus suspected was a teasing tone.

"I don't appreciate your humour, Lupin."

"What does the pain in his scar mean?"

"It was caused by his illness and the Dark Lord's increase in strength, but I'm concerned that as the Dark Lord grows stronger it could happen while he's perfectly healthy, and so I need you to keep an eye on him."

Lupin nodded in understanding. "Have you spoken to Harry about his relatives?"

Severus frowned. Why on earth would he be the one to speak to the boy? True, they could now hold a somewhat civil conversation and he did... Well, he did not want the boy to be unhappy and he wanted to protect him from harm, but out of all the adults in the child's life he would probably still be the worst candidate to bring up the his relatives.

"It's hardly my place. It would be far better coming from you or Black." Severus scowled at the thought of the boy's godfather, spitting his name.

"I would feel much better approaching Harry about it if we could be honest about what we know of his situation."

"I'm sure you could find some way around it," Severus replied unconcerned. "If the boy wishes to discuss his relatives with you then I'm sure he will do so."

"You don't think it's important that Harry talks about it?" 

"Yes, I think it is important that he talks about it, but there is no reason for him to be aware that you already know how they treated him," Severus repeated impatiently. He could not understand why this was such an issue for the wolf, nor why he insisted on discussing it with him.

"You're going to have to tell him at some point," Lupin said, walking back towards the living room.

"I don't have to do anything. Do not presume to tell me what to do in my own quarters," Severus hissed.

"I'll keep an eye on Harry," Lupin promised, ignoring Severus' anger which was only more irritating.

H.P.

"What's going on?" Harry asked. As soon as he flooed through Sirius had pulled him to his feet and handed him a butterbeer.

"We're having a bit of a celebration," Remus answered, stepping out behind him and accepting a glass of firewhiskey.

"Moony finally got himself a job," Sirius announced happily, giving him a congratulatory pat on the back, managing to make Remus spill most of his drink. The man didn't seem too bothered, rolling his eyes and spelling the floor clean.

"Well done, Remus. That's great," Harry said sincerely. He'd been looking for work since Snape made him resign.

"It's nothing special but it's something," Remus replied, acknowledging Harry's words with a nod of his head.

"It's also a bit of a goodbye from me–" Sirius started and Harry's smile faltered. He'd barely had any time with him and now he was leaving. Sirius raised his hands. "Just for a couple of weeks. Remus is going to be busy at work and he's taking you out for your birthday next week, so it's a good time for me to sort some things."

"Like what?" Harry asked glumly.

"Nothing special, kiddo. Dumbledore doesn't want me around here too much, so I have to sort somewhere else to stay." Sirius shrugged, trying to look as if it was no big deal, but he was obviously unhappy at being asked to leave.

"Why can't he stay here?" Harry asked, looking over at Remus.

"I'd love to have him, Harry, but we can't risk him getting caught. People know we used to be best friends and they distrust me because I'm a werewolf. We can't afford to arouse suspicion, especially with Wormtail out there."

Sirius' expression darkened considerably at the mention of the only other living marauder and he knocked his drink back and forced a smile. "Don't worry about it, Harry. I'm thinking of going somewhere near Hogwarts. That way I can keep an eye on you."

"You don't need to keep an eye on me," Harry replied indignantly.

"Remus told me what you kids have been getting up to. Fighting basilisks, Harry?" Sirius countered with a sly grin, regaining some of his previous good mood. 

Remus smiled slightly. "I couldn't keep him in the dark about that one."

"I don't do it on purpose," Harry retorted, returning his grin.

"I envy you, Harry. Having adventures, facing danger, really living," Sirius said wistfully. His reaction was the complete opposite to Snape's. It was a bit weird that the closest thing he had to a parent didn't mind him throwing himself into danger, but Snape, who used to hate him, got so mad about it. He wasn't sure what was better, Snape being oddly protective or Sirius thinking his near death experiences were exciting. Then again, Snape saved his life in his first year, maybe he just wanted to make sure he didn't do it for no reason.

"Don't, Padfoot," Remus scolded weakly. "Ignore him, Harry, he's a bad influence."

"So, Remus, where are you working?" Harry asked, changing the subject.

"I got a muggle job working in a bookshop."

"How come you got a muggle job?" 

"Werewolf prejudice makes it difficult to get a job in the wizarding world and it's something you have to declare by law when you apply. Getting a job in the muggle world is easier, but the exchange rate is atrocious and I can hardly list teaching at Hogwarts as my last job."

"I can see Moony working in a bookshop. He always had his nose in a book at school," Sirius teased.

"You were like Hermione?" He could see Remus being a bit like Hermione, but then she'd never have made the marauders map.

"Not quite." 

"Come on, Harry, let's have a game," Sirius said, gesturing to Harry's broom.

Harry ran out into the garden after him, eager to get up into the sky. It could be weeks before he saw Sirius again and if he couldn't stay here he might not be able to play quidditch with him for a long time. "Two against one is it?" Sirius called out as Remus joined them.

"I wouldn't worry about it, Padfoot, I'm more of a liability than anything else," Lupin said, chucking the quaffle to Harry.


Harry threw himself onto one of Remus' armchairs. The springs dug into his back but he was too exhausted to move.

"I'm going up for a shower. Don't eat 'til I get down," Sirius said, ruffling Harry's hair as he passed him.

"'kay," Harry replied, ducking away from his hand.

"Severus said you were ill this week," Remus said, as soon as Sirius had left the room.

"It was no big deal. I just had a headache and then my scar hurt," Harry shrugged.

So that was what Snape wanted to talk about before they left. It was a bit weird that Snape was talking about him to Remus, he never used to do that. It wasn't even like it was that big a deal; he was barely ill.

"Severus took care of you?"

"Oh, yeah. When he saw I was ill he gave me potions and looked after me." 

"You didn't ask for anything?" Remus asked, frowning. "I'm sure he'd have given you a potion if you'd asked."

"It was just a headache," Harry replied easily, peering round the door hoping to see Sirius return so that he could eat something.

"If you were at your aunt and uncle's and you felt ill, would you have asked for anything?" Harry's eyes narrowed. What kind of question was that? Remus hadn't said anything about the Dursleys after the whole flooing back to Hogwarts incident, but now he was bringing it up again.

"No. It was only a headache."

"If you're unwell, would you ask me or Sirius for help?"

"I don't know. Does it matter?" Harry asked defensively.

"Yes, it matters a lot." Remus said seriously. "If you were unwell, would your relatives have looked after you?"

"I don't know. They wouldn't let me die or anything." Why couldn't Remus see that he didn't want to talk about this? Everyone knew the Dursleys hated him, absolutely everyone! Now, suddenly, everyone wants to talk about how much they hated him. It wasn't a big deal; it was an unfortunate fact of life. No one wanted to say anything when the Weasleys rescued him and no one cared about why he ran away last year, but now suddenly people want to talk about how the Dursleys treated him and make it sound like–.

If that wasn't bad enough Remus had some mental idea that he was some sort of victim. He'd fought Voldemort twice, he'd killed a basilisk but Remus thought that he was being– he thought that he couldn't look after himself! Besides Dumbledore or someone would have said something in the past thirteen years if there was something really wrong. Dumbledore knew about the cupboard under the stairs, and the Weasleys knew about the bars on his window. If it had been that bad he wouldn't have been left there.

"Harry, if you want to talk about–"

"Where's Sirius?" Harry interrupted, trying to cut Remus off before he could carry on talking about his relatives. "Shouldn't he be back by now?"

"Harry, if you're not ready to talk about it we don't have to right now. I'm just trying to help you."

"There's nothing to talk about. I know what you think," Harry replied, irritation creeping into his voice.

"What do you mean?"

"I heard you talking to Sirius a couple of weeks ago and you're wrong about why I'm not there. Dumbledore just changed his mind. He knew they didn't like me and he changed his mind about me having to stay there. Nothing changed or got worse there or whatever you're thinking. You don't have to worry about it."

"I'm sorry, Harry. You were taken away because of how they treated you. I've spoken to both Albus and Severus," Remus said patiently.

"No, you're wrong. That doesn't make any sense. The Dursleys have treated me the same every time I've been with them. If it was because of how they treated me then why would Dumbledore have waited until now?" Not to mention why was Dumbledore giving Remus all the answers and not him. And what the hell did Snape know?

"Harry–" Remus started.

"No, look, the Dursleys don't like me. They hate me, but that's it. They can hate me if they want to; it's hardly a crime is it?" Why couldn't Remus just understand?

"What they did to you was wrong."

"You don't know what they did to me," Harry replied furiously, his voice rising.

"What's with all the yelling?" Sirius asked from the doorway. He looked at Harry and Remus. "Is this about Snivellus?"

"No," Harry yelled. Why was everything about Snape with him?

"What's going on?" Sirius asked.

"I don't know why it's such a big deal to you," Harry threw at Remus who was beginning to look more and more concerned. Sirius' expression changed to one of instant comprehension.

"Did you ask him about his relatives?" 

"There's nothing to tell!"

"Harry, calm down. Please," said Remus and Harry felt a bit guilty seeing how tired he looked.

"I don't know what you think, but it wasn't that bad. I don't know why you think it's such a big deal," Harry said, shaking his head.

"We don't have to talk about it, but if you change your mind, you know where we are," Remus said quietly.

"Can I just go home? I'm really tired," Harry asked, avoiding looking Sirius in the eye. It was better he left early than end up arguing with Sirius as well, not to mention that Remus looked so weary.

Remus nodded but Sirius frowned. "You sure, Harry?"

"Yeah, sorry," Harry said, his shoulders hunching as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

"Come here then, kiddo. I'll come back soon, okay? I won't leave you with old Snivellus."

"Right, stay safe." He hugged him tightly back.

Harry and Remus went through the floo returning to Severus' quarters and Remus put a hand on Harry's shoulder. "I hope you're still looking forward to next week."

"I am, really. I can't wait." Harry said sincerely trying to muster up a smile, regretting arguing with Remus at all.

"See you in a week then, Harry. I just need a quick word with Severus."

S.S.

The first thing he noticed when the pair returned was that Potter was unhappy. He'd left in a relatively good mood but something had obviously happened, more than likely Lupin's attempts at talking to the boy had failed miserably. 

The wolf insisted upon speaking to him before he departed, so there they stood once again in the kitchen, discussing Potter.

"Yes, Lupin?" Severus asked, letting his irritation creep into his voice.

"It did not go well at all. I don't think he's ready to discuss this." 

"That explains his face. You are aware that I send him to you so that he can be around people that make him happy. This isn't the first time that he's returned here the opposite," Severus remarked pointedly.

It was obvious that Lupin was doing his utmost to rise above Severus' remarks and he continued as if Severus hadn't spoke. "Incidentally, I know why he left now, the first time."

This caught Severus' interest. He hadn't pushed for the whole story knowing that the boy did not trust him enough to confide in him. "I only got half the story, myself," he admitted.

"It was my fault. He heard me insinuating that he was being mistreated by his relatives to the point where he'd need to be taken out of their care."

It was a natural assumption to make. Why would Potter take it that badly?

"He's very insistent that they did nothing wrong to him," Lupin continued. "I obviously couldn't say anything, but I think he genuinely believes that they didn't overstep the mark. He mentioned that they hated him and obviously he says that he doesn't like them, but I don't think he realises how bad their treatment of him was. Either that or he's in denial."

This explains why he was upset. He was clearly confused – he knew they treated him badly but doesn't recognise it as abuse and would no doubt hate for people to think of it in that light.

"I think the fact that he doesn't understand why he was taken away from them is really confusing for him. You need to tell him, Severus."

"I've said no countless times, wolf."

"I don't see why–"

"I told you before. Are you hard of hearing or just that dense?" Severus hissed angrily.

"I'm not buying that stuff about Albus not caring enough about him. It'll be worse for him in the long run if you don't tell him," Lupin persevered.

"It's my decision, Lupin. I'll thank you to keep out of it."

The wolf shook his head as he left, dropping a hand briefly on Potter's shoulder on his way to the floo.

Severus regarded the boy from the kitchen doorway. He sat on the sofa scowling darkly, staring into the fire, and quite clearly wallowing. That wouldn't do.

"Have you eaten, Mr. Potter?"

"No. Remus had food but I didn't get to eating it," the boy replied, as if worried that Severus would be irritated by Lupin.

"Go and sit at the dinner table. I'll make something for you." He wouldn't have the boy starve on his watch and this way he could keep an eye on him.

"You don't have to. I'm not that hungry," Potter replied, shrinking further into his seat.

"You need to have dinner," he said sternly. Must the child make everything an argument?

"I can cook it myself then. You don't have to cook just for me," he said as he reluctantly stood. 

Could he? You'd never know the child had any experience cooking from the way he mishandled his potions ingredients. "Kitchen, sit down, now." Severus ordered, pointing to reinforce the instruction.

The boy did as he was told, all but throwing himself into his seat.

"Is there something you would actually like to eat?" Severus asked, scanning the cupboards for something quick to make.

"Um, maybe just toast."

Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. He was exhausting. "Don't be ridiculous. You like spaghetti, you can have that." 

"Should I help?" Potter asked from the table.

"I'm quite capable, Mr. Potter," Severus replied, summoned the ingredients he required. He'd been serious in his offer to cook for himself then. "How did you learn to cook?" 

"My aunt taught me," Potter replied shortly.

Did she now? "When did you learn?" 

"When I was little."

No doubt this was partly where Potter's insistence that he could take care of himself stemmed from. "Usually a skill such as cooking would mean you would have some aptitude for potions," Severus remarked as he pulled out the necessary pans and cutlery.

"I'm not that good. I mostly did fry ups and stuff," Potter mumbled tiredly.

Severus bit his tongue. Potter was revealing more than he intended but he would shut down if he knew the real reason Severus was prying. Petunia had a lot to answer for.

"To be able to cook anything at a young age is a bonus when it comes to potions. Come here," Severus ordered. Potter joined him in front of the oven, looking up at him warily.

Severus pulled the ingredients towards the both of them. "I have my ingredients. How do I prepare them?"

Potter looked at him as if he'd lost his mind. "Why are–"

"Just answer the question, Potter, before I lose my patience," Severus snapped, though his tone lacked any real anger.

He heard the boy sigh angrily but he answered the question. "Um, you need to cut up the onion first." Severus did as he said and then stopped.

"Now what? Talk me through it." He gestured to the remaining ingredients.

"Put it in the pan, with oil then heat it. Not that high," he exclaimed as Severus deliberately lit a too large flame under the pan.

Severus let the boy take over, merely following his instructions and occasionally making a comment or error to prove a point. It seemed that it was taking the boy's mind well enough off his disastrous day with the wolf as Potter became more animated. "You have to stir it in, Professor." Severus gave it a casual stir then put the spoon down. "No, you have to stir it in properly."

"There's a proper way to stir things?" Severus asked in a mock surprised voice, raising an eyebrow. You'd never have thought so with the careless way Potter stirred his own potions, he refused to appreciate the small steps that went into brewing.

He didn't expect the boy to smile and nod at his words. He continued to let him dictate how to cook the meal and watched with a confused kind of satisfaction as Potter cheered up, getting more and more excitable.

"Ah, no. We haven't put the carrots in," Potter exclaimed loudly as Snape finished making the sauce, picking up the offending vegetable.

"Why is that a problem?" Severus asked.

"They take longer to cook, so we can't put it in now."

"Go and sit down. I'll dish it up."

H.P.

"I get it, Professor," Harry said as his plate was set in front of him.

"What is it that you 'get'?" Snape replied, sitting down opposite. He hadn't expected him to sit with him while he ate seeing as he hadn't made any for himself.

"Cooking's a bit like potions," he replied, twisting the spaghetti round his fork.

"And?" Snape replied, arching an eyebrow.

"You have to cut things up the right way or it'll come out wrong. Like you can't just put half a mushroom in; you have to cut it up," Harry said, shoving another forkful in his mouth.

"Anything else?" Snape replied, throwing a sheet of kitchen roll across the table at him as he looked on in disgust at the way Harry inhaled his food.

Harry finished chewing before answering. "Um. You have to do it in the right order otherwise it won't come out right. I knew that anyway though."

"Indeed?" Snape replied as if re-counting every potion of Harry's he'd ever vanished.

"Well, I never figured how you chopped it up was that much of a big deal because it's not like cooking dinner. It just looks like it all gets thrown in and turns into a potion," Harry said, waving his fork at his dinner. "But I figured about the order thing."

"Do you think you'll do any better this week, Mr. Potter?" Snape said, spelling the pans into the sink.

Harry had an idea that might be good. Snape probably wouldn't want to do it though.

"It wasn't a rhetorical question, Potter."

"Maybe, like, if you– I could do what we just did for the potion and you could tell me if I'm doing it wrong or something," Harry suggested, not looking up from his plate.

"If it would help you learn that way, I would not be averse to trying it," Snape replied carefully.

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3040