So Close by Halfbloodprincess21
Summary:

Set at the end of third year. Severus overhears Harry by chance on his final patrol before the summer and begins to suspect that the Gryffindor's home life isn't as idyllic as he assumed. Twelve years ago, he made a promise to protect him, and he intends to keep it.


Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 3rd Year, 4th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Coming Home
Chapters: 37 Completed: Yes Word count: 206340 Read: 341771 Published: 08 Mar 2014 Updated: 11 Nov 2023
Chapter 14 by Halfbloodprincess21

H.P.

Snape was sorting through the mail when Harry dropped into his seat for breakfast and as he reached for the cereal a letter zoomed across the table towards him. "Ron!" Harry exclaimed happily, recognising the writing on the parchment.

He read the letter at the table. His friend's untidy scrawl was difficult to read but Harry couldn't use that as an excuse to put off dealing with its contents. 'Ask if we can come to the castle already! Hermione won't stop going on about it and I want to see you, mate.'

It wasn't that Harry didn't want to see Ron and Hermione– he did! It had been ages, after all. It was just that Snape would never go for it, but he supposed he wouldn't be much of a Gryffindor if he didn't at least ask. Harry was mulling over how best to approach Snape when a filled bowl of cereal was thrust under his nose.

"Eat something, Potter. Potions is in fifteen minutes."

He knew exactly how he was going to ask Snape. If he impressed Snape enough, he would realise that it was a great idea for Harry to invite his friends to Hogwarts and he'd love to look after another two Gryffindors as well as Harry for a day, or something along those lines at least.

"Ready, Mr. Potter?" Snape asked.

Snape watched him as he set up his cauldron and laid out his supplies.

"Brew it yourself while you talk me through it. Hopefully this way I will be able to determine how much you've actually taken in and stop you from making your usual errors," Snape said, crossing his arms.

"Oh. Okay," Harry replied nervously. It was going to be far more difficult to impress him if he was going to be quizzing him at the same time! "Um. I have to crush the beetle legs first." Snape said nothing, continuing to watch him sternly so Harry went ahead and began crushing them before putting them to the side and uncorking the vial of leech juice. "Right, now I have to–"

Snape cut him off abruptly, slamming the book open onto the desk and pointing to the first line of instructions. "Crush the beetle legs finely. What would happen if you put them in like that?"

"It would be wrong…?" Harry guessed.

"And why would it be wrong?" Snape bit out impatiently.

"Uhhm because." Harry drew out the words for as long as possible trying to come up with a good reason.

"It should be obvious. It will blend with the other components at the correct speed if they are ground finely," Snape said, retrieving Harry's pestle and mortar and gesturing for him to continue grinding.

"Oh."

"So what would happen if they are not ground finely?" Snape questioned as though toncheck he'd really been listening.

"Um, it would take longer to do that bit and that would screw up the timing for the rest of it," Harry said.

"You need to work on your vocabulary, Potter, but yes, you are correct."

"I am?" Harry said grinning.

"I wouldn't get used to it, if I were you," Snape replied without venom.

They continued in the same manner throughout the lesson with Snape quizzing him on each step of the process and Harry realised that he knew more about potions than he thought.

"I get potions more this way. How come we can't do it like this all the time?"

"You can get all this from your textbook if you bother to actually read it," Snape remarked pointedly.

"I read it, but it's not the same as doing it practically."

"Potter, in case you haven't noticed potions is an incredibly dangerous subject, your friend Longbottom should be evidence enough, and it is my unfortunate job to teach you, as well as to ensure that you don't seriously injure yourselves. That is why we cannot do this all the time."

"Neville's not that bad." He felt obliged to defend his fellow Gryffindor. After all, it wasn't entirely his fault.

"Longbottom is appalling. Perhaps if he learnt to follow instructions he wouldn't be such a disaster."

"You freak him out," Harry replied, annoyed.

"And I was under the impression that Gryffindors were supposed to be brave – you're stirring too fast."

"Oh." Harry slowed down.

"Turn the heat off." Snape summoned an empty vial and scooped up some of the potion. Snape inspected it carefully and seemed to struggle internally for a moment. "This is… satisfactory." That was quite a compliment from Snape, and he seemed to want to say something else but settled for just nodding before sweeping from the room.

It was all going according to plan. His potion came out great, so now all he had to do was actually ask if Ron and Hermione could come to the castle.

S.S.

The boy was actually better than he'd thought. His laziness was the only thing stopping him from excelling. If he put the knowledge he had to good use when he was actually brewing instead of getting distracted or rushing, then his potions would be far better than just 'satisfactory'.

Lily had a natural aptitude for potions. She was good at all subjects, of course, but she was truly gifted at potions, beyond even his talent.

Defence Against the Dark Arts had been his subject. It didn't matter that the school was teaching how to oppose dark forces; he'd simply lived and breathed the dark arts. It was powerful and intoxicating and it could give him everything he ever wanted. But potions had always come a close second. It couldn't give you power but it could give you a wonderful feeling of absolute control, and control was exactly what he needed.

Lily had discipline but she also had creativity. She could get the feel of a potion and know just what to add to make it that much better. She had fantastic intuition and it had been inspiring to watch.

Potter could have something of his mother's gift if he had an ounce of passion for the subject. Perhaps he could have had an interest in the subject had his teacher given him the freedom to develop some. Instead, the boy had inherited his idiotic father's love of flying around on a glorified stick, a pointless passion if ever there was one.

Snape frowned as he heard two different voices coming from the living room and found the headmaster and Potter chatting on the sofas. 

"–he left. He said he wanted to stay somewhere near Hogwarts," Potter said.

"It is imperative that he finds somewhere else to lay low. We cannot risk him getting caught," the headmaster replied seriously. No doubt they were discussing the boy's dog. Severus lip curled; it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he got caught…

"Yeah, I suppose," Potter replied shrugging. "Oh! Sir, I wanted to say thanks," he said suddenly as if he'd just remembered something.

"For what, my boy?"

"The money from the school, for my clothes," he said, waving his arms as if to show the headmaster the clothes in question. Severus' eyes widened and he cleared his throat to announce his presence. Potter whipped around, spotting him. "Hi, sir."

"I'm not quite sure what–" the headmaster began.

"Headmaster, is there something you wanted?" Severus asked, interrupting him quickly.

"Ah, yes. I just came to inform you that we're having a staff meeting on Thursday about the plans for next year."

"Right. Potter, go to your room," Severus ordered. 

"But–"

"I'd like to speak to the headmaster, Potter. Leave now, please," Severus said in a tone that brooked no arguments.

"Fine. Bye, sir," Potter said, giving a wave to the headmaster and sending a frustrated glare to Severus.

"Severus?" His employer raised a questioning eyebrow once the boy had left.

"I bought the boy clothes and I told him that the school fund would pay for it because he wanted to buy them himself," Severus revealed, getting straight to the point.

"Why?"

"I couldn't let him pay for them; he's a child," Severus answered, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"You could have told him that you would be the one paying for them. You are his guardian."

"He would not accept them from me and I do not want him to know that I am providing for him."

"Perhaps if you were honest about the whole situation then it need not be a problem."

"Don't be ridiculous. I will not tell him, and he doesn't need to know."

"Why is it so important to you to keep him in the dark?"

"I'm trying to do what's best for him."

"This is what's best?"

"I don't know. I know nothing about looking after a child and yet here I am. He needed clothes so I bought him some and I told him that the money would come from the school fund. That is what I wish him to believe."

"I will not lie to the boy, Severus." The headmaster held up a hand to prevent Severus from jumping down his throat. "I'm not saying that I will tell him the truth, but if he asks I will not lie. I suggest that you tell him the truth."

Severus chose not to enlighten the headmaster about what he thought he could do with his suggestions.

"I will see you on Thursday, headmaster. Thank you," Severus said, ending the conversation as politely as he was able.

H.P.

"Did he go?" Harry asked, opening the door to his room after hearing the portrait shut. Snape had a real thing about kicking him out of the room. He was in the middle of a conversation, and it's not like he got to talk to many people during the summer.

"Yes, he's gone," Snape snapped. Obviously whatever they'd discussed hadn't gone that well; his good mood seemed to have entirely evaporated.

"Oh. I was trying to say thanks for the clothes."

"I know, Potter, I was there, as was the headmaster," Snape drawled before taking a breath. "I'm sure he appreciates that you're grateful." It seemed a lot like he had no idea what he was talking about, so how could Dumbledore know he was grateful?

"I wasn't sure he knew what I was on about–" Harry tried.

"I explained what it was you were blathering on about, Potter. Drop it," Snape snarled, stalking to his own rooms and shutting the door firmly.

Maybe now wasn't such a good time to ask about Ron and Hermione... He supposed he'd have to wait a bit longer. This would be a lot easier if the man wasn't always angry. Why did Dumbledore have to come and get him all worked up?


S.S.

"Potter, I know you're excited but if you don't stop pacing I will stick you to the wall," Severus threatened. "And it will be with a permanent sticking charm." Excited didn't cover it. The boy had thought of nothing else all week.

"Sorry, sir," Potter replied, watching the fire eagerly, as if by staring at it he could make the wolf appear sooner. He'd put up with the boy's anticipation all week, the boy had marked it on the calendar in his room.

"Do you have everything you need?"

"Like what?"

Severus marked his place in his book. "A coat for a start. An ice rink will be cold, yes? The wolf can shrink it when you go to London." There was silence and Severus reopened his book, settling back down to continue reading.

"Uh, I don't have a coat, not a muggle one."

He sighed. That was an oversight. It was the summer and he hadn't thought of it, wanting to get out of the muggle shopping centre as soon as possible. He'd have to buy the boy one for winter. Severus strode to his own rooms and came out carrying a black muggle coat that he kept for his own brief excursions into the muggle world. "Come here," he ordered.

He put the coat on him to gauge his size, then shrunk it to fit him. "That'll do."

"Thanks," Potter mumbled, looking down.

"You need socks," he commented, sitting back down.

"I have socks," he replied, confused.

"I'm aware that you have socks," Severus snapped, eager to get back to reading. "I meant for the ice rink."

"Why?"

"You'll hurt your feet," he answered shortly. "Have at least three pairs."

"How do you know? Have you been before?" the boy asked curiously.

"No," he replied, giving him a 'does it look like I've ever gone ice skating' look. "I'm not completely oblivious to the muggle world, Potter." Growing up in the muggle world had given him various insights into these things. He'd never experienced it himself, but Lily had spoken about it and he had watched television.

"What am I going to do with three pairs of socks?" Potter asked, scrunching his face up in confusion.

"Wear them."

"No, I mean when we're done."

"I couldn't care less what you do with them."

"I'm not going to carry socks around all day. Can't Remus just use a cushioning charm or something?"

"There's going to be muggles everywhere, Potter," he replied, exasperated. "Wear extra socks so he won't have to risk doing magic in front of them." The child had no common sense.

"We've said socks so much it doesn't sound like a word," Potter commented, although it seemed more like he was talking to himself. "Socks."

Severus rolled his eyes, disappearing behind his book. He didn't have too long to wait before the wolf appeared and when he did, Severus noticed from over the top of the paper that Lupin was dressed far more smartly than usual.

"Hey!" Potter greeted him brightly.

"Hi, Harry," the wolf started, grimacing apologetically, seeming apprehensive. Severus thought that he could see exactly where this was going and he shut his book with a snap, glaring at the pair of them through narrowed eyes.

Potter was looking a little awkward but hopeful and he smiled. "Um, I'm ready," he said, waiting for Lupin to do or say something.

"Harry, I know I said I'd take you out today–" The boy's face fell. "–but something's come up. I promise you it will happen. I'll take you next Saturday."

"Is this because of last week?" Potter asked quietly, looking incredibly vulnerable and Severus cursed the wolf's timing. Of course Potter would think that Lupin cancelling on him was something to do with their previous row.

"No! No, Harry, its work. I wouldn't cancel on you for anything else but I've only been there a week and I can't afford to say no at this stage and my boss literally just rang. I promise that I'll make it clear that I can't do Saturdays in future." To his credit Lupin did look genuinely unhappy that he was cancelling on the boy, but the damage was done.

"Yeah, it's okay. Don't worry about it," Potter replied, nodding. It was evident that he was trying to make the wolf think he was fine but the boy was an open book.

"Thanks, Harry. Next Saturday, okay?" Lupin attempted to reassure him despite being eager to leave.

"Yeah." Potter gave a half hearted smile and shrugged.

"Lupin, a word," Severus demanded before the wolf could escape. He was going to give him a piece of his mind. That damned wolf knew he had to have his Saturdays free. He'd made a commitment.

"Severus–" Lupin said desperately, gesturing towards the fire. Evidently he was expected to leave right away. That wasn't Severus' problem.

"Lupin." Severus gestured to the kitchen angrily and Lupin took a fortifying breath before following.

"Do you have any idea how much Potter's been looking forward to this damned trip of yours?" Severus stated as soon as the door shut.

"Don't try to make me feel guiltier than I do already. I just got this job and you have no idea how hard it was to find one at all."

"It's rather late notice," Severus bit out, partly just to irritate the wolf, knowing that he was pressed for time.

"Severus it is one Saturday. It won't happen again and I'm still going to take him to London. It's just going to be a week later. I can see that he's disappointed," Lupin said impatiently, eyeing the door.

"Perhaps it was a mistake having you take Potter at all if you cannot keep your commitments," Severus hissed at him.

"Be reasonable. I have to go; I'm already late." Lupin slipped out the door throwing an apologetic look once more at Potter as he departed through the floo.

The problem for Severus was that he now had to take care of the boy for the day. Any other day, he could have just resumed their usual schedule and left Potter to his own devices for the afternoon, but the boy had been looking forward to this day for weeks. He couldn't have him wallowing in his disappointment all day.

He had planned to begin brewing his pain potion but it would likely take all day. That would have to be put off until the next weekend thanks to that flea-bitten wolf. He had no errands to take the boy on but he supposed he could just pretend, take the child to Cornwall, see the sea. He could use it as an excuse to pick up ingredients for his stores as well as distracting the boy.

Potter was still on the couch, staring into space, no doubt brooding over the wolf's behaviour. "Put your shoes back on."

"What?" Potter asked, looking up. "Sir," he finished, remembering his manners.

"Shoes, Potter. Put them on! It seems that you will be in my care today, so you will accompany me while I gather ingredients."

Potter didn't look particularly enthused by the idea but did as he was told nonetheless.

"Aren't we going to the forest?" he asked as they passed by the forbidden forest on their way out of the castle's main gates.

"No, not the forest."

"Then where are we going?" he asked, perplexed.

"You'll see when we're there. Hold my arm," Severus ordered.

"What?" The boy looked at him as if he'd lost his mind.

"This will be uncomfortable," Severus warned as he grabbed Potter's shoulder and apparated them to Cornwall.

H.P.

Harry felt just as awful as last time. It was like he'd been squeezed through a really narrow tube and he had trouble keeping his breakfast down as they landed on solid ground.

"Doesn't it get better?" he asked as soon as the queasiness passed.

"It can be quite uncomfortable when you aren't used to the sensation." Snape said, releasing his shoulder.

Harry took the opportunity to take in their surroundings. They couldn't be anywhere near the castle. They were on a small bay, which was cut off from the surrounding beaches due to the tide. The sand was golden and they were surrounded by high rocky cliffs that jutted out, cutting them off from the other beaches. It was far warmer here than it had been at Hogwarts and Harry stared with wide eyes at the sea.

"Wow," he breathed. He'd never been to the beach before, or seen the sea in person for that matter. "Where are we?"

"Cornwall, Mr. Potter. Porthcurno to be exact."

Snape walked towards the sea, seeming quite interested in the seaweed and Harry figured that must be what he came to fetch. He'd obviously put a spell on his shoes and trousers to stop the water from touching him as his clothes were bone dry. It was a blisteringly hot day and Harry was strongly tempted to take his shoes off and go in the water, but he held back.

"We're going to be here quite some time, Potter. You may as well amuse yourself instead of standing there looking gormless," Snape said, turning to look at him.

Harry took that to mean he was quite welcome to do whatever he wanted and hastily took his shoes off and let the water wash over his feet.

"BLOODY HELL!"

At his exclamation he thought he heard Snape stifle a snigger and when he turned to face him he was smirking. "Can't handle a little cold, Potter?" he asked, arching an eyebrow.

"You can talk; you're cheating," Harry muttered.

"I'm not here for a paddle, Mr. Potter, and mind your manners," Severus said, using his wand to send a small wave of water over the boy's legs.

"MERLIN! It's freezing, why is it so cold?" Harry gasped.

"It's not warm enough here to heat the water even if it feels mild," Snape answered, spelling seaweed out of the sea and putting it inside a transfigured glass jar.

Mild was an understatement. He walked further out, treading on seaweed and shells in the water as it got deeper. He figured it wouldn't matter seeing as Snape had already gotten his clothes wet.

"Don't go too far. You haven't been to the seaside before?" 

"No," Harry replied shortly. The Dursleys had taken Dudley a few times and he had always wanted to go, but that was always one of the things he would be sent to Mrs. Figg's for.

"Can't you buy seaweed from an apothecary?" Harry asked, changing the subject. He didn't want to think about the Dursleys.

"Why pay for an ingredient that I have the means to procure myself?" Snape answered, shrinking the jar and placing it in one of the pockets of his robes.

S.S.

Severus was having trouble thinking of what to do with the boy now that he'd gone through the farce of collecting seaweed. He seemed quite happy entertaining himself and Severus looked on as the boy picked up a small stone, trying and failing to skip it.

"You need a flatter stone," Severus informed him, divesting himself of his cloak then skipping one himself. Harry watched it bounce three times and grinned.

He tried again, this time with a stone like Severus', but it just dropped into the sea again. "I've never been able to do it. I've tried on the lake when the giant squid's not around," Potter said with a shrug.

"Try again. Watch first," Severus ordered, slowing down the hand movement so that the boy could see what he was doing before skipping the stone properly.

Harry tried again and the stone bounced off the surface once. "Did you see that? I did it, it bounced." The boy was clearly thrilled and Severus shook his head at his excitement.

"It did." Severus agreed.

"Sir?" Potter asked tentatively.

"Spit it out," he replied suspiciously.

"Can Ron and Hermione come to the castle one day this summer?"

Severus scowled at the thought of the boy's two sidekicks but he didn't have the heart to give an outright no after the boy's earlier disappointment. "Perhaps something can be arranged," he said, stressing the 'perhaps' so much that it sounded like he'd actually said 'when hell freezes over something can be arranged.'

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3040