So Close by Halfbloodprincess21
Summary:

Set at the end of third year. Severus overhears Harry by chance on his final patrol before the summer and begins to suspect that the Gryffindor's home life isn't as idyllic as he assumed. Twelve years ago, he made a promise to protect him, and he intends to keep it.


Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 3rd Year, 4th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: Coming Home
Chapters: 37 Completed: Yes Word count: 206340 Read: 341754 Published: 08 Mar 2014 Updated: 11 Nov 2023
Chapter 21 by Halfbloodprincess21

H.P.

Harry ventured downstairs, keen to explore Snape's house. It was a strange thought that he was in the Potions Master's home, not just where he lived in the castle but his actual home. It wasn't exactly what he expected, Snape had been right about that earlier, not because he wanted to live in some massive manor house or anything, but he couldn't picture Snape, Head of Slytherin, living in a place like this. Like what's Snape doing with a toaster? He had muggle stuff all over his house.

"Stop gawping at the kitchen. It's not the first time you've seen one," Snape said irritably, moving past him to hover the dishes into the sink.

"You've got muggle stuff. Everything's normal here." He thought all wizarding families lived in houses as magical as the Burrow. This place was ordinary, well, not wizardly.

"Normal?" Snape asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You can't even tell a wizard lives here," Harry said, unable to keep the surprise from his voice.

"Ah, normal," Snape replied in an irritatingly knowing voice.

"What?" Harry asked defensively.

"I'd think carefully before describing wizards as 'abnormal', Harry."

"I didn't mean that." How was it Snape managed to twist anything he said to make it sound bad?

"I'm aware of what you meant."

"I just didn't think you'd live in a house like this," Harry said, trying to get the conversation back on track before realising that he'd sounded sort of rude.

"I do not." Harry pulled a face and Snape rolled his eyes. "I don't usually live here," he clarified.

"Oh…" He wanted to ask the obvious question but looking at Snape's face he decided he didn't actually want to know that much. His curiosity must have shown on his face because Snape elaborated slightly.

"I inherited this house."

From wizards? Why would any wizard have a house like this? Unless…

"Uh, does that mean that… were your parents muggles?" Harry asked disbelievingly.

"My mother was a witch." The accompanying glare led Harry to believe that any follow up questions about the purity of Snape's blood were certainly not welcome.

"Oh." Harry cleared his throat awkwardly.

"I'll be working in the lab this morning."

Snape swept out the room leaving Harry to his own devices. Harry looked around again at the shabby looking furniture. It was a bit sad really that this was Snape's home. He wasn't as bright as Hermione but he could see that Snape didn't really like the house or talking about it. He would hate to have to go back to the Dursleys' house, even if they weren't in it. That would definitely improve the place but it would still be pretty rubbish. It occurred to Harry that Snape must be pretty committed to looking after him if he was making a sacrifice like that.

S.S.

Snape sighed. He hadn't wanted to discuss this house or his past with the boy; he did not particularly want to discuss it with anybody. He did not enjoy his own childhood here and he'd never anticipated that a time would come when he'd bring a child here, of all places, to give them something better. The idea was laughable.


"I trust you've done more than play with that snitch this morning," Severus commented, shutting the basement door behind him. He'd had a productive day in the lab, and he suspected that if his project progressed at the rate it was going there was some hope that he would succeed before the Dark Lord's return.

"What was I supposed to do?" Harry replied, leaning forward to grab the snitch before it flew towards Severus.

"You can do as you please. I'd prefer it if you found a pastime that didn't have the potential for an idiotic accident."

"I won't break anything and I don't have anything to do now that I'm not allowed out."

"I didn't say you weren't allowed out, you imbecile," Severus snapped, wondering how he could have come to that conclusion. What did the boy think? That he would keep him trapped inside this poor excuse for a home?

"What's the point in all the wards if I'm allowed out?" 

"The point is to keep you alive should the Dark Lord return you ungrateful–" Severus gritted his teeth against further insults.

"I know that–" Harry snarled back at him and Severus attempted to gather what little patience he had for ridiculous questions and interrupted coolly.

"There is minimal danger for now, and while that remains the case there is no reason that with adequate protection you cannot go out in public. What is important is you have a house that is secret and gives you the utmost protection so that when the Dark Lord returns you are kept safe if, or most likely when, he realises that you are no longer with your relatives."

"Right, so I can go out?" Harry asked, his demeanour brightening. "I thought I'd have to wait for the World Cup."

"I take it that's not an expression," Severus replied, scowling.

"No, Ron's Dad got tickets for the Quidditch World Cup and they invited me so… I said I'd go..." If the child thought he'd keep him trapped inside the house on a daily basis why did he think he could go to an event like the Quidditch World Cup? How that ridiculous boy's mind works was a complete mystery.

"You said you'd go? You did not ask, you do not think!"

"What does it matter if I go stay with the Weasleys? I've been before in the summer."

"Think, Potter– do not correct me," he spat when Harry opened his mouth to stubbornly repeat 'Harry'.

"I suppose they think I'm at the Dursleys' now."

"It must be clear to everyone that you've lived with the Dursleys for part of this summer. The Dark Lord must believe for as long as possible that you are protected by your mother's wards."

"I'm not asking to stay with them for the rest of the holidays. I'm not stupid!"

"You could have fooled me," Severus muttered. "You do not make these decisions. You would have asked your aunt and uncle, yes?"

Harry shrugged before answering carelessly. "Well, yeah, but I would have gone anyway. The only reason they'd want me to stay is to make me miserable."

Severus exhaled tiredly before sitting himself in the chair opposite Harry's. "Why would I want you to stay?"

"You're not letting me go?" Harry asked in disbelief.

"Don't tempt me. Answer the question."

Harry thought for a moment before answering. "You wouldn't, you'd rather I went away for a bit."

Severus ignored his failed attempt at answering the question. "Hypothetically, why would I say no?"

"You're just asking me to come up with a reason that I can't go," Harry threw out suspiciously.

"I do not need your assistance with that," he growled angrily. "I am attempting to keep you safe."

"I will be safe! He's not back now and last night I saw him say he couldn't get to me at the World Cup!" Of course the only thing the boy would remember clearly about the vision was the fact that it was perfectly safe for him to attend the Quidditch World Cup.

"It is more complicated than that. There are people watching. Not all the Death Eaters were sent to prison, and what they see, the Dark Lord will know. They must believe you are at your relative's home for the remainder of the summer."

"It's for a few days–"

"No, it would be for how long I say. You seem to forget what we just established; I am your guardian."

"I know that."

"No, I don't think you do. I should have realised sooner," Severus muttered to himself.

"Realised what?"

"You do not comprehend what a guardian is."

"Stop making out like I'm an idiot."

"This has nothing to do with whatever… limited mental capacity you possess. It seems to me that considering you haven't had an appropriate example of what a guardian should be that you don't know what to expect."

"Well, you were my guardian before and you're my guardian now."

"No, as your teacher, I begrudgingly allowed you in my home this summer. Now, I've made a commitment to be your guardian. It isn't the same situation at all."

H.P.

"Are you saying I can't go then?" Harry asked.

"I'm saying that it is my decision to make and I will consider it because I am your guardian," Snape snapped.

"That's it?" He wasn't even going to say that he couldn't go. He was going to drag it out for as long as possible. What was he going to say to Ron? Sorry I said I could go to the Quidditch World Cup but actually I'd rather not? He could not miss this; he wouldn't miss it with the Dursleys and he wasn't about to miss it now.

"No, go and get your broom," Snape demanded.

"You're not going to take it away?"

"No, I'm not taking your damned broom! I just said that you didn't have to stay indoors all day." Snape looked like he was holding back from finishing that sentence with 'you little twit'.

"Oh."


Harry couldn't help flattening his hair over his forehead even though he knew his glamour was covering his scar.

"I didn't even know there were places like this," Harry said, slightly awestruck as he watched all the people zooming around the public pitches.

"It's one of very few in the country. They're difficult to hide from muggles and most wizarding families tend to have their own space."

"This is so cool! Thanks Prof–"

Snape made a hissing noise and whirled around to face Harry, speaking in a low tone. "I told you to be careful. Stick to 'sir', Merlin knows you've had enough practise over the last few days."

"Right, I mean thank you, sir."

"Just go," Snape said, going to sit on the benches at the edge of the pitch.

S.S.

At least the child was happy. Harry chased after his practise snitch with unmatched speed. The broom stood out but the pitch was no where near Spinner's End and he wasn't the only child with an over-priced broom. He didn't know how to keep the boy entertained while he was in the house but at least this was an option. A boy of his age needed exercise; he couldn't keep him in the house all day.

He couldn't help but replay their previous conversation. Harry didn't understand what having a guardian was about, but what was worse was that though he himself had an idea of what a guardian should give, he knew he didn't have the ability to offer all that a child needed.

He couldn't discuss it with Harry until he knew what he was going to bring and he couldn't afford to confuse him or cause him stress when things were getting better between the two of them and yet he didn't want to continue making the mistake of assuming that Harry knew the appropriate way to behave. What had he gotten himself into? Spying, dark magic, potions... you knew where you were with them at least.

That evening, Severus flooed to the castle and picked up the post from the table in his quarters and opened it quickly with his wand. He instantly recognised the handwriting on the parchment and it did not bode well.

There weren't many reasons that Lucius Malfoy would write to him. Of course he kept in contact in order to ensure he had someone at the school on Draco's side. Should the boy's intelligence fail him, Lucius would rely on his ability to network to ensure his son's success. No doubt one of Lucius' contacts at the ministry would have made him aware of Potter's stay in the castle.

Severus,

It has been too long, old friend, since we have spoken. I extend an invitation to Malfoy Manor…

Severus cursed and stopped reading. He had hoped at least that written correspondence would suffice if Lucius took an interest; it would be infinitely more difficult to lie to his face. Skilled as he was in the art of deceit it had been a fair amount of time since he'd needed to use such skills and whatever lie he told Lucius would have to hold to the Dark Lord's questioning when he returned. This would require a good deal more thought then a few cleverly written missives.

It was fortunate at least that Harry was no longer in the castle. Even he had heard of Lucius' more personal grudge against the child – the man really had no subtlety. If the Ministry wasn't so absolutely reliant on him for financial investment it would be more than evident that he had been loyal to the Dark Lord's cause.

Severus summoned an elf and sent a note to the headmaster requesting a meeting the next day. He would have to see him about arranging Harry's transportation to that blasted World Cup anyway…


"Bring up the World Cup again and you definitely will not be going."

"I was just saying that it's soon-" Harry said when Severus went back to his notes.

If he didn't hear the word 'Quidditch' for the rest of the summer it would be too soon. He wasn't about to announce that he had thought of a way to get him there for a couple of nights without revealing his living situation or putting him in any danger until he had the details finalised first, so he would now have to put up with Harry continuously asking about the damned quidditch match.

"I know when it is; I read the prophet every morning." Out of the corner of his eye he saw Harry yawn for the third time that evening. "It's late. Go to bed."

"I'm not tired–"

"It's been a long day, so if you could try not to lie..." He made a note in the margin to experiment with adding bees wings to the potion the next morning.

"It's not that late–" Harry tried, settling back into the sofa.

Severus sighed and put down his quill. He wasn't having the boy sleeping down here, no matter how much he protested that he didn't want to go to bed. "I highly doubt that you will have another vision tonight."

"How do you know?"

"I don't know, but as I've told you before, your scar affects you when the Dark Lord feels strong emotion. He's a wizard without a body being aided only by a man who spent twelve years as a rat. There are a limited number of great successes he can have," Severus said. He realised this is most likely one of those moments where as a guardian he was supposed to impart some sort of advice or support. "It is unlikely to happen again so soon, but it most likely will in the future. You should not fear sleep."

"I'm not scared," Harry insisted, clearly offended. "It's just the idea of seeing Voldemort kill people doesn't make me want to go to sleep until I really have to."

"You wouldn't be as tired now if you had swallowed the potion last night."

"I just saw Voldemort kill–"

"The Dark Lord."

"I'm not calling him that. I wasn't about to go back to sleep again after I'd just seen Him kill someone."

"You would not have dreamed. It was a dreamless sleep combined with a pain reliever."

"I don't see why it's a big deal–"

"You're my responsibility and I'm trying to look after you."

"I don't need looking after. I'm not a child."

"You're acting like a child," Severus bit out in frustration. "I'm meeting with the headmaster tomorrow morning, is there anything you'd like me to ask him?"

"Um, no. Are you going to tell him about last night?"

"I owled him this morning concerning your vision. He's not overly concerned so you shouldn't be either. He also agreed that this wouldn't be a frequent occurrence."

"All right, all right. 'Night then," Harry said not looking thrilled with the idea of going up but at least relenting.

"Goodnight."


Severus flooed to Hogwarts the following morning surprised that he would have so much to discuss after having Harry in his sole care for only one day.

"Ah, Severus, I trust everything is well with you and Harry?"

"Potter wants to go to the Quidditch World Cup with the Weasleys," Severus stated.

"Straight to the point as usual. Lemon drop?" the headmaster offered innocently from behind his desk.

"No," Severus replied, biting back his impatience.

"You are his guardian Severus. You do not need me to grant him permission."

"I am not a fool. I merely wish to ask you to communicate to the Weasleys that you will organise his transportation to their home and back."

"Ah, yes, of course," he replied understanding instantly. "How long will he be with the Weasleys?"

"One night only. I want to ensure that it appears that Potter is under his mother's protection for as long as it is possible," Severus clarified. "Lucius wishes to see me."

The headmaster took a moment to take in the abrupt topic change before responding. "I know you do not need me to remind you that this situation needs to be handled delicately."

"Obviously. I just thought that you ought to be aware that it is clear Lucius is still watching and what he knows the Dark Lord will know. I do not believe he trusts me and knowing that Potter was in the castle with me will not look good to the Dark Lord when the time comes for me to resume my position."

"Have you considered the possibility of using this situation to our advantage?"

"If I believed it was possible to turn this in our favour I would have."

"It will be a considerable task for you to re-infiltrate the Dark Lord's ranks as it stands but with the previous living arrangements this summer becoming public knowledge it will be even more of a challenge. Perhaps if you were to appear to feed Lucius information concerning Harry he would be less likely to suspect you."

"If I give real information on Potter I could lead the Dark Lord and his followers right to him and to me! You would lose the boy and I would be unable to spy any longer."

"Voldemort would not suspect that you would take the child. It may be the case that you lead him to the conclusion that Harry is no longer under his mother's protection but that would not remain a secret for too long when the Dark Lord returns."

"And yet we do not know for certain that it is imminent!"

"We know that it is highly likely that it will be soon and we would be foolish not to act on any information that gives us an advantage." He rearranged the papers on his desk for a moment before looking at Snape over his interlaced fingers and saying more calmly. "I understand your concerns but I am thinking of the long term and this would be the best course of action."

"Fine. I will go as far as I think is acceptable, however," Severus said, standing to leave.

The headmaster nodded. "If I could suggest that this isn't the type of situation that Harry needs to be aware of…"

"Where my guardianship of Harry is concerned you will excuse me if I do not take the advice of a man who would have him in the dubious care of a pair of muggles who despise him."

"I was trying to protect him."

"As am I."

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3040