He Didn't Have To Be by Snapesgirl1989
Summary: This story is based off the song "He didn't have to be" by Brad Paisley
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Lily
Snape Flavour: Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Out of Character
Prompts: He Didn't Have To Be
Challenges: He Didn't Have To Be
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1319 Read: 3364 Published: 20 Mar 2014 Updated: 21 Mar 2014
The Man I Call Dad by Snapesgirl1989

"When a single mom goes out on a date with somebody new. It always winds up feeling more like a job interview. My momma used to wonder if she'd ever meet someone, who wouldn't find out about me and then turn around and run"

 

When Harry was a one year old baby he defeated Voldemort. No one knew how he had done it but they knew for sure that Lord Voldemort was gone for good. Unfortunately Harry's father, James Potter, died trying to protect his son from Voldemort. Two years after James' death, his wife, Lily, decided it was time to start dating again. Although Harry was famous for his defeat of Lord Voldemort, no guy wanted to be stuck raising a child that wasn't his, even if said child was the savior of the wizarding world. Those guys who didn't know that Lily was Harry's mother would make excuses and leave once they found out. Two years of this and Lily was starting to feel like finding anyone worthwhile was hopeless.

 

 "I met the man i call my dad when i was five years old. He took my mom out to a movie and for once i got to go."

 

"Come on Harry, get your shoes on. Severus will be here soon." Yelled Lily. Just then the doorbell rang. "Ah, Severus. I'm so sorry. We seem to be running a little behind. Harry should be out any minute."  "That's alright Lily. I don't mind waiting for a bit," responded Severus. After a few minutes had passed, Harry came running out of the bedroom but stopped short when he saw Severus. "Hello. You must be Harry. Your mum has told me all about you. My name's Severus."  "Hello," said Harry shyly. "Would you like to go to a movie with us?" asked Severus. "I'll even let you pick which movie you want to go see."  "Yay! That sounds great!" Exclaimed Harry excitedly. Severus smiled gently at the small boy staring up at him. "Then lets go," he said and reached out and took Harry's hand in his as they walked out the door.

 

"A few months later I remember lying there in bed. I overheard him pop the question and I prayed that she'd say yes."  

 

"All right Scamp. Time for you to go to sleep," said Severus as he helped tuck Harry in. Lily leaned over and gave Harry a kiss before turning the light off and leaving the room. With his door cracked open, Harry could still hear everything that his mum and Severus was saying and therefore heard it when Severus asked Lily to marry him. "Lily I know we haven't been together long but i can't imagine my life without you or Harry in it. I love you both so very much. You've given my life purpose. Please say you'll marry me. Let me be your husband. Let me be Harry's father. Nothing in this world could make me happier." Harry started praying, "Please say yes. Please say yes." over and over again until he heard his mother's reply. "Of course I'll marry you Sev. I love you so much and nothing would make me happier and I'm sure Harry will be ecstatic when we tell him."  "I'll admit," said Severus, "I'm looking forward to being that little boy's father." Harry smiled to himself as he rolled over and went to sleep.

 

"And then, all of a sudden. Oh, it seemed so strange to me. How we went from something's missing to a family. Looking back all I can say about all the things he did for me, is I hope I'm at least half the dad he didn't have to be."

 

When Harry was six, just shortly after the wedding, Severus officially adopted Harry making his name Harry James Potter-Snape. A few months later Harry started calling Severus, dad. When Harry was eight Severus taught him how to ride a broom. At age ten, Severus taught Harry how to successfully brew a third year level potion. When Harry turned thirteen, Severus gave him 'the talk.' At age 15, Severus taught Harry Occlumency shortly followed by Legilimency. When Harry turned seventeen, Severus proudly watched his son graduate from Hogwarts and at age twenty-one, Severus handed Harry his certificate of Potion's Mastery, as was his right with Harry being his apprentice.

 

 "I met the girl that's now my wife about three years ago. We had the perfect marriage but we wanted something more."

 

Shortly after earning his Potion's Mastery, Harry started working at St. Mungo's as the head potion's master. It was there that he met Juliette. She was a new healer working in the creature induce injury ward. She was a year younger then Harry and her mother had homeschooled her. In what many would call a 'whirlwind romance' they had started dating and was married within a year. Their marriage was perfect but they eventually began to feel as if something was missing. So two years after their marriage they decided it was time to add a baby to the family. 

 

"Now here I stand surrounded by our family and friends. Crowded 'round the nursery window as they bring the baby in."

 

"Look. There he is." says Harry as he points to a nurse walking in with a little blue bundle in her arms. "Oh Harry. He's beautiful." says Lily.  "A very handsome little boy," agreed Severus, "What did you guys decided to name him?"  "James Severus Potter-Snape," said Harry proudly as he looked at his father. "After the father who gave his life for me and the father who raised me. Juliette was quite happy with the name. She said it was a fine name for her son."  Severus blinked and just stared at the baby for a moment. "I'm honored, son. I'm truly honored. I'm quite proud of you. You've done well for yourself and you'll make a great dad."  "I just hope I'm half the dad you were to me." whispered Harry

 

"And now, all of a sudden, it seemed so strange to me how we've gone from something's missing to a family. Lookin' through the glass I think about the man that's standin' next to me. And I hope I'm at least half the dad that he didn't have to be."

 

Harry thought of all the things Severus had done for him. Everything that a father should do. He remembered when he was seven and Severus had sat at his hospital bed day and night when he had dragon pox. He remembered when he was eleven and Severus had helped him through his homesickness while at Hogwarts. Then there was that time when he was fourteen and Severus talked him through his first break up. He remembered when Severus had sat him down and talked to him about his future career choices when he was sixteen and how proud Severus looked when he said he wanted to be a potion's master. Then he remembered when he was twenty-two and his father had stood at his side as he married Juliette. Severus had been a good father and he knew who to go to if he need advice raising James.

 

"Looking back all I can say about all the things he did for me, is I hope I'm at least half the dad he didn't have to be. Yeah, I hope I'm at least half the dad he didn't have to be. Because he didn't have to be. You know he didn't have to be."

 

Together, Harry and Severus stood side by side and looked at little James Severus through the nursery window and contemplated their futures. 

The End.
End Notes:
please review


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3045