Visions of Sugarplums Danced in Their Heads by sshpfanfiction
Summary: Over Christmas break, Harry and Snape are attacked by a Ghangzou, a rare, magical genie that shows its victims what life would be like if one thing changed.

What they see will alter their relationship forever, if they'll let it.

(Originally meant for the Christmas challenge, but it sort of took on a life of its own)
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, James, Lily, McGonagall, Original Character, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Kind
Genres: Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Sibling Addition
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: May All Your Christmas' Be White
Chapters: 15 Completed: Yes Word count: 122520 Read: 70310 Published: 03 Apr 2014 Updated: 01 May 2014
Lean on Me by sshpfanfiction
Author's Notes:
Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend, I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
'Til I'm gonna need somebody to lean on

You just call on me, brother, when you need a hand
We all need somebody to lean on
I just might have a problem that you'll understand
We all need somebody to lean on

- "Lean on Me" Bill Withers ps. Sorry for the multiple posts last time. Do not know what happened there.
The wedding day approached quickly, and as it did, Severus oscillated between overjoyed and petrified. He kept waiting for Polly to change her mind, but she just kept planning the wedding with a brighter smile than he’d ever seen her her wear. The day came and still there was no objection, so Severus just sat, waiting in the dressing room for the other shoe to drop, because in his experience things just did not go this smoothly.

“You ready?” James said from the doorway. His hair had been somewhat calmed and he was wearing contacts and dress-robes for the occasion. He looked comfortable and handsome while Severus looked like a vicar.

“Fine, yes,” he grumbled. James entered the room with a smirk.

“I’ll be sure to relay your enthusiasm to Polly,” said James. “Who, by the way, I’ve seen.” Severus looked over from the mirror to James’ face. He raised his eyebrows with a smile the bordered on lecherous and whistled.

“Dude…just dude…” James said, clapping Severus on the back. “You are a lucky man.” Severus’ throat felt like it was starting to close up.

“What? We’ve always had the same taste in women,” James teased. Severus spared a moment from brooding to scowl at James before irritably throwing the bow-tie he was failing to tie on the ground.

“What’s the matter?” asked James after a moment, picking up the bow-tie and cleaning it quickly with his wand.  “Are you getting cold feet? Did you forget the rings? Because I, as the world’s best best man, have prepared for all those scenarios.”

“No, I’m not getting cold feet. And Remus is giving the rings to Harry now,” muttered Severus. James sat himself on the bureau and looked intently at him.

“You saw Polly?” Severus finally asked lowly. James nodded. “She seemed…happy?” James looked at Severus a little curiously, and tilted in his head.

“It’s her wedding day. She can’t stop smiling.” James said softly looking concerned. “You’re not planning on running out or something are you? Cause I love Polly, and since she doesn’t have a brother or a father to say this: I will kick your ass if you break her heart.” There was a moment where it looked like James was legitimately considering punching him.

“Of course not,” snapped Severus, crossing his arms defensively. “She’s not having second thoughts?” The angry look on James’ face dissipated, and he sighed.

“Alright, sit down.” Grumpily, Severus sat heavily on the arm of the couch.  James walked over and silently upturned Severus’ collar.

“You’re much harder on yourself than other people are, you know?” muttered James as he looped the bow-tie around the collar “I think we’re all a little like that, but you especially have a talent for it.” The words began to replace Severus’ self-pity with indignation.

“Polly could pretty much have any man she wanted,” continued James, frowning in concentration as he started to tie the bow-tie. “She wants you, Sev, and you deserve her. Personally, I don’t think she could have picked better,” he said, clapping Severus on the shoulder.

Any other moment, Severus would have brushed off James’ sentimentality with a joke, but it was a sentimental day and the words seemed to smooth over a rough place on Severus’ heart. James tightened the bow-tie, looked at it critically, then smiled down at Severus who was fighting not to smile as well.

“Now, let’s get you married,” James said, giving himself a cursory glance in the mirror before heading out the door. Severus looked at himself in the mirror. His robes were still a little formal for his taste, but his hair wasn’t so bad, and when he stopped scowling at the mirror, his reflection looked less angry. If James, Lily and Polly could see something worth committing to in him, then maybe it truly did exist.

It was a small wedding, and the moment Severus stepped to the alter of the picturesque church with James and Remus, he could see everyone clearly in the audience. Arthur was holding Sirius on his lap. Molly sat beside him, already mopping at her eyes, with Ginny and the other Weasleys around her. They were half the guest-list. Polly’s Aunt and Uncle sat in the front row chatting quietly with Minerva and Dumbledore. There weren’t many people there, but there were all the people that Severus cared to have. The music began and everyone turned their attention to the back of the aisle.

Harry, dressed in formal robes proudly carrying the rings on a pillow with one hand and holding Amelia’s hand with the other beamed at the crowd. While Amelia, who was just a little over three stared back at everyone, petrified in her puffy pink dress. Still, she allowed Harry to lead her down the aisle and the entire audience oohhh’d and ahhh’d at them. When she was close enough she broke out into a smile and ran straight for James who knelt down and opened his arms for her.

“I did it!” she said gleefully.

“Wonderful job, pet,” he whispered, picking her up and tucking her long, dark hair behind her ear.

“Uncle Sev, I didn’t drop the rings,” whispered Harry as he stood beside Severus, his eyes almost crossed with the effort of staring at the two gold rings.

“Good job,” whispered Severus, dropping an arm around the child’s shoulder and pulling him to lean against his thigh even though the boy was meant to stand back with his father. The door opened again and Lily walked out wearing a short purple dress that just showed the start of her baby bump.  Her red hair cascaded down her back and excitement radiated off of her. Behind him, Severus swore he heard James inhale sharply.

But before Severus had the time to truly consider how beautiful Lily looked, the music changed and the audience stood up. The wedding march hit him like a bolt of lightening, and he stood at tense attention. James took Harry’s hand and gently pulled him back a few paces, Severus missed the warm reassuring weight. His throat went dry. Then the door opened.

She looked perfect. She had abandoned her ponytail for long curls and she wore vintage-styled dress with capped-sleeves, a tight waist and a short skirt that was as bouncy as her personality. The audience collectively gasped. Severus was vaguely aware that other people in the room but he couldn’t pull his eyes away from her. He didn’t remember blinking the entire time she was walking down the aisle, and his eyes were burning when she stepped up to him.

“Hey,” she whispered, winking at him as she handed Lily her bouquet.

“Hi,” he breathed, still gaping like an idiot. When he didn’t move, she reached across and took his hands in hers. His palms were sweaty and his hand trembled but hers were warm and steady. He looked into her warm, glowing eyes and every anxiety, every fear, every last piece of self-doubt vanished as the pastor spoke and they recited their vows.

“The rings, please,” said the pastor.

“Uncle Sev,” said Harry importantly, stepping forward with the rings. Severus bent down to Harry’s eye-line.

“Thank you, lovey,” whispered Severus, taking the rings from the pillow. Harry reached up and kissed Severus wetly on the cheek. Gently, he brushed a hand over the Harry’s head and stood back up to face Pauline.

“Repeat after me,” said the pastor. “With this ring, I thee wed.”

“With this ring, I thee wed,” Severus said, embarrassed that his voice was starting to shake as he  slid the delicate, diamond ring on her finger.

“Pauline,” said the Pastor.

“With this ring, I thee wed,” whispered Pauline, her voice shaking the same way Severus’ did as she pushed the ring on to his finger. At that moment he truly realized that this was as important to her as it was to him, that she loved him as deeply. He looked up at her serious eyes and felt as though she was reading his thoughts. A lump rose in the back of his throat, and she ran her thumb soothingly across the back of his hand.

“You may kiss the bride,” the Pastor said after both James and Lily signed the marriage certificate with wet eyes. He kissed her deeply, pulling her towards him. She ran a hand through her hair and gripped it lightly. Loud whoops rang out from the crowd and they pulled apart, laughing.

“Daddy, why are you sad?” asked Amelia sweetly from behind him. Severus turned around to find Amelia batting at James’ wet cheeks. James laughed and grabbed her hand and kissed it.

“No, Daddy’s very happy. I know, pet,  it’s confusing,” he said off Amelia’s confused face.

Across the aisle, Lily had tears trailing down her flushed face.

“Seriously, Lily? And Potter, I expected more from you,” said Severus, his arms still looped around Pauline.  James shrugged with a happy smile on his face, still sniffling.

“Walk down the aisle already!” said James, playfully pushing him down the aisle.

Like the wedding, the reception was a small, quiet affair with dinner and drinks in the Potters' backyard. Flutes of champagne floated around the guests and faerie lights glittered as the sun set.  

Lily and James were holding each other close and swaying on the dance floor while Harry danced with Pauline, both giggling madly. Ginny and Amelia were happily playing at Molly Weasley’s feet as she leaned back into her husband’s arms.

Dumbledore was sitting on a bench seat, Sirius’ head lay on his lap and snored peacefully as Dumbledore patted his arm vaguely, a serene smile on his face as he watched the party. Severus sat next to him.

“I can take him inside,” offered Severus. It was a little funny to see a baby happily sleeping on the legs of one of the world’s greatest wizards.

“Oh no, he’s fine. I was hoping to discuss the particulars of the alphabet with him, but he dropped off immediately after I took him, which I tried not to take offence to. I didn’t want to disturb them,” Dumbledore said nodding his head in the direction of James and Lily. James whispered something into her ear and she giggled before looking up at him adoringly, her eyes never leaving his.

Severus chuckled in a agreement, and they lapsed into companionable silence.

“It was truly a beautiful wedding, Severus,” Dumbledore said, sitting down on the empty seat next to him.

“Thank you, sir,” said Severus.

“Your happiness, brings me so much joy,” continued Dumbledore, squeezing his arm gently. The older wizard’s eyes glistened with unshed tears, and Severus nodded, touched but a little uncomfortable at Dumbledore’s show of emotion.

James turned around and put his wand to his throat.

“Ladies and Gentleman, I’d like to make a toast,” James said raising his glass. Pauline sat on the chair beside Severus, pulling Harry onto her lap.

“In deference to the groom, I’ll keep it short and not too sweet.” Severus smirked and raised his glass in acknowledgement. “Now, you all know Sev and Pauline of course, but what some of you might not know is that Sev and I weren’t always the bosom buddies we are now.”

Everyone in the audience chuckled and groaned, the tale of their star-crossed friendship was one James regularly whipped out after a few glasses of firewhiskey. James smiled at Severus, who rolled his eyes indulgently.

“I am grateful that that changed, because you are great friend and person who has made my life, and more importantly my family’s lives, infinitely better, for that I am forever indebted to you. I am also truly happy that you found Polly, because she makes you significantly less grumpy, which is important because, I don’t know if you know this about yourself Severus, but you’re scary when you’re mad.”

Severus couldn’t resist smirking, and the crowd laughed appreciatively.

“More important Polly has made you so happy, and has brought so much to this family, plus she bakes, which is a major bonus. We love you guys so, so much. Here’s to a lifetime of happiness for you both.” James said raising his glass and smiling.

The audience clapped and Pauline hopped to her feet, still holding Harry, to hug James. After a second’s hesitation Severus got to his feet and walked over to James who smiled as he pulled away from Polly. Severus found the words getting stuck in his mind as James stepped towards him.

“You're not indebted to me,” Severus said harsher than he meant to, causing James’ smile to falter for a moment. “What I mean to say is - there is nothing more you owe me. No that you ever did owe me anything. The owing isn’t the point. You have made my life better too, is all.” James smiled and patted his arm, but Severus could tell he was not getting the full point of what he was trying to say.

“Before today, you all were the only real family I had. Saving someone’s life it - it’s easy, really it’s a one time thing. You gave me a family.” James eyes were wet and before Severus could stop him, the man stepped forward and hugged him.

“Merlin, Potter, get a grip,” Severus said harshly, tapping him once on the back, in an irritable sort of way.

“What percentage chance do you think it is that our husband’s run off together?” Pauline asked Lily. With a faint blush, Severus pushed James away who was completely non-pulssed. Lily looked at them critically.

“I don’t see it. They’re too similar,” she said, getting an indignant huff from James and a glare from Severus.

“We’d be friggin adorable,” James said petulantly.

XXXxxxxXXX

“I know that this should get less exciting, but it just doesn’t,” said Remus over Amelia’s head, his knee bouncing with excitement. Severus sometimes wondered why Remus, who so loved children, had yet to have any. The publishing company was doing well and Remus seemed be flourishing in his life in Muggle America, but he lived there with only a few people knowing he was magical, without any serious relationships, and he always beamed so brightly when he came back to England, that Severus couldn’t help but wonder if his life was a little lonely. Still, even with Wolfsbane and the repeal of Anti-Werewolf legislation, Remus never spoke of leaving New York.

“Do you ever think of having any?” asked Severus softly. Harry, who was reading in the chair beside them looked up for the answer as well.

“Lord, no!” Remus said with a laugh. “I can’t imagine loving anyone as much as I love these little ones.” He reached out and ruffled Harry’s messy hair. “That’s more than enough for me.”

“Come here, Sirius!” Pauline said, chasing the little 2-year old around the chairs. The toddler had walked early and was now a perpetual spring of energy that no-one was quite able to keep up with. As he ran past Severus, Severus scooped him up and threw him over one shoulder. The baby shrieked in delight.

“Well, I certainly hope you’re not planning on holding the baby like that,” James said, leaning on the doorway with a smile. Remus was right, even though this was the third time he had sat in this room waiting for James to walk out, it wasn’t an iota less exciting or terrifying.

“How is he? she? Is it a he or a she?” asked Pauline hurriedly. James laughed.

“A girl. Grace Marie Potter,” said James with a smile. “She’s perfection.” Pauline’s eyes filled with tears and she pressed her fingers to her mouth.

“Am I perfection?” asked Amelia, a little anxiously.

“Of course you are, princess,” James said with a laugh. This reassurance soothed Amelia’s concern, and she allowed James to pick her up.

“If we do this again, we’re going to need a bigger room,” James said as they all squeezed into the Lily’s hospital room. Lily was holding a tiny bundle of blankets looking exhausted and sweaty, but happy.

“Honey, savour these moments, cause Little Grace is the last one,” said Lily with a good-natured smile. There were the usual hugs and congratulations and adorable questions from Sirius who was very concerned that Grace was unable to talk or sit-up. Finally, it was Severus’ turn and James slipped the baby, who already had so much red-hair she might have been mistaken for a Weasley, into his arms. She was awake and not crying, a rare state for a newborn, and when she blinked her big eyes at him, his heart completely melted. Briefly, he wondered how many people he could love this much. Every time he thought he was at capacity, someone seemed to slip a perfect little baby in his arms.

“Look at her! She’s precious,” said Severus softly. The baby fuzzily raised a hand towards him and he playfully reached down and bit her hand. When he turned back to James the man was looking at him with his eyebrows raised incredulously.

“What?” said Severus defensively, looking back down to Gracie’s chubby little face. “I like children.”

“Yes, you just don’t usually use words like precious.” James said with a smirk, leaning casually on the doorframe.

“Yes, well if the shoe fits, right Gracie-bell?” whispered Severus, looking down at the baby girl who was now fast asleep.

“My turn, my turn!” said Pauline reaching out her arms. Carefully, Severus deposited the sleeping baby into his wife’s arms. As their arms met, she looked up at him and smiled, then looked down at the baby.

“Oh Lily, oh look at that little face,” said Pauline walking over to Lily’s hospital bed where she was cuddling with Amelia and Sirius. Severus smiled at the scene for a moment until James’ voice broke him out of his reverie.

“So just to be clear, if something happens -”

“Yes, I’ll take this one too,” Severus said, rolling his eyes. “Though, do try and stay alive would you? Five kids is a little much.”

“I have four children, Severus,” James said with an eye-roll, pointing at the children. “See: that one’s Harry, that’s Amelia, that’s Sirius and Baby Grace makes four.”

“Yes,” conceded Severus with a nod. “You have four.” James blinked at him for a moment, then his eyes widened.

“Pauline?” he gasped excitedly, stopping when Severus hurriedly hushed him.

“She doesn’t want anyone to know yet, she’s only two months along, but I couldn’t keep it a secret,” said Severus. “Really, it’s lucky the war ended when it did. I would have made a terrible spy.”

“I’ll act surprised. I promise,” James said brushing Severus’ guilt off and smiling up at him.

“This is so exciting! You’re excited, right? You’re making that face so I can’t really tell,” hissed James. Severus’ lips twitched involuntarily upwards and he crossed his arms before nodding affirmatively.

“A baby, Sev. This is fantastic!” Severus nodded again, a smile on his face, but he couldn’t quite shake the feeling that it wasn’t fantastic. He knew that he was a fine teacher, none of the little Slytherins were more scared of him then was necessary, and he had dispensed his share of wisdom and dried some tears, but as much as he cared for the students, he wasn’t their parent.

Even the Potter children, who he honestly loved with all his heart, had their parents to swoop in, whenever the children they were extremely sick or scared or naughty. With his child, he’d be the one swooping in, the one truly responsible for keeping the child healthy and happy. He wasn’t entirely certain he was capable of giving a child a good life.

“Oh my god. The baby’s going to be born in summer,” said James with a wide smile. Severus nodded, uncomfortably aware that summer was only two seasons away. “Sev, they’ll be in the same year at Hogwarts! They’ll be best friends. What if they get married? I can’t decide if that would be cute or creepy. Thoughts?”

“What are you doing over there?” Lily asked, saving Severus from having to respond to James who looked like a child who had had too much sugar. Clearly, James needed his happy news in small doses.

“We have a little while before we have to decide that, Potter,” Severus said with a smirk clapping James on the back. “Now, come on, today is Grace’s day,” Severus said, walking back over to his family.

XXXXXXXX

“I CANNOT BELIEVE YOU!” James bellowed from the upstairs bedroom. Severus had just floo’d through the fireplace in the kitchen, but he could hear the man as clearly as if he was standing in the next room.

“ME?” Lily screamed back. “YOU ARE A COMPLETE ASS, JAMES POTTER!”

“Oh dear,” said Polly as she stepped out of the fireplace right behind him. Severus winced, the Potters almost never fought, but when they did, it was the verbal equivalent of Grindelwald and Voldemort duelling for world supremacy.

“I’m an ass? I’M AN ASS? What the hell does that make you” yelped James in response. Severus cringed, and Pauline turned her big, wide eyes to him, looking somewhere between amused and scandalized.

“Uhm - just give me a minute,” muttered Severus. Pauline nodded.

“A WOMAN MARRIED TO AN ASS!”

“I’ll just deal with this here,” Pauline said, pointing her wand to where the dinner was burning on the stove. Severus nodded and walked quickly to the stairs. Harry, Amelia and Sirius were standing at the foot of the stairs, peering up towards the fight. The image made Severus’ stomach clench.

“Hey,” Severus said, the children all turned their tear-streaked faces towards him. Sirius ran towards him. Severus caught him easily and kissed him on the temple.

“It’s ok, love,” whispered Severus.

“OH THAT’S RICH!” yelled Lily, elevating their conversation back to a screaming match. Harry flinched, and Amelia started to cry. Severus knelt down in front of them, still holding Sirius.

“Adults fight sometimes. It’s nothing to worry about, love, alright?” Severus said softly, placing Sirius on the ground.

 Harry didn’t look completely comforted, but he nodded. Amelia just grabbed Harry’s hand.

“Hare-bear, you take your brother and sister and go help Aunt Polly in the kitchen, ok?” he said, motioning the children towards the kitchen. Harry gave him a skeptical look but did has he was told.

With a reluctant sigh, Severus climbed the stairs, hearing the screaming getting louder.

“This could get you killed, it almost has already, and I can’t believe you just don’t care,” James said in a harsh, angry tone that was somehow worse than his screaming. Even though it was James and Lily's bedroom, a place that Severus had rarely gone and only with explicit invitation, he pushed the door open.

It was a large bedroom with maroon walls, thick beige curtains, and massive mouldings. That old- world elegance was diminished by the explosion of the laundry on the bed, and James and Lily standing nose-to-nose yelling at one another.

At the front of the room was an old-fashioned sitting room which had been converted to a nursery for Grace who was still young enough to sleep in her parents’ room. Grace sat lay in her crib, fussing slightly.

“Are you quite finished?” Severus said silkily, the way he might if he found a couple of second-years getting up to trouble. He walked over to Grace’s crib, and picked up the baby who goggled at him for a moment, then smiled a drool-filled smile. James and Lily stared at him in shock. He scowled at them, and patted the baby’s back.

“Lily, is travelling to China and Japan to try to restart talks for the IWF’s Muggle Protection Service,” James said accusingly. “Because apparently, getting shotted once was not enough.”

“You don’t get shotted, James, you get shot. Learn the terminology,” Lily snapped back. James threw his hands up in exasperation.

“And what do you think, Sev? Do you think I should just let Muggles, like my sister, get killed because there are a bunch of pure-blood wizards with their wands up their -”

“Hey!” Severus said sternly. They both looked at him with slightly guilty expressions. “I think, you need to go downstairs and tell your children that everything is going to be alright.” The guilt on their faces increased, but this seemed to only anger Lily more.

“I suppose lying to them is acceptable now,” she snapped storming out the door, and down the stairs. As she stormed out, James looked more concerned than angry, and he ran a hand through his hair anxiously, making it all stick up.

“She didn’t mean that,” Severus said softly, after a few moments. James shook his head and shrugged.

“I am this close to not caring,” he said with such surprising harshness that Severus’ stomach clenched uncomfortably. As dramatically as Lily, James pushed past Severus leaving him alone with the baby.  

It was not one of the better Sunday night dinners. Neither James nor Lily spoke, the children were sullen and edgy, and it was mostly Severus and Pauline forcing conversation. Considering Severus wasn’t great at that to begin with, it was mostly Pauline, who struggled valiantly to start a happy conversation multiple times, and finally gave up to eat her burnt chicken quietly. They left as soon as they could.

“That was one nasty fight,” Pauline said as she crawled into bed beside him hours later. Severus looked over the top of his copy of Dead Souls and shrugged.

“They’ll be fine,” he said.

“They sounded really upset,” Pauline said softly. “You don’t think - I mean you think it’ll blow over, for sure?”

“They’re the Potters,” Severus said with a smile he truly felt. “They’ll be fine.”

“Let’s never fight,” she said, curling up beside him and pressing her hand to his chest. Severus put his book down and kissed her on the tip of her perfect nose.

“Never,” he agreed with a smile.

His assumption that the fight had blown over was promptly disabused the next night. Pauline at six months pregnant had turned into a hot, sweaty, snoring machine while she slept, and Severus, was lying on the couch reading in an attempt to put-off sharing a bed with her for as long as possible. He was half-asleep himself when the floo flared green. He jerked awake and got to his feet wand raised to find an irate-looking James standing in his fireplace. Severus blinked in confusion for a moment.

“Potter?” Severus said, not quite recovering from the shock, “What’s the matter?”

“Nothing’s the matter. Everything is fine. Do you mind if I sleep here tonight?” James asked, something not quite right with his blank face.

“What the hell is going on?” Severus burst out, perhaps a little unsympathetically.

“Is that a no?” James asked with a little quirk of his lips.

“Of course not,” Severus said softly, feeling a horrible sense of anticipation that changed his anger to a sense of defeat. “Potter, you can stay here as long as you like.” James nodded and walked to the guest bedroom with his duffel bag. Feeling completely blind-sided, Severus followed.

“Does Lily know where you are?” he asked finally. James just laughed a little harshly at that.

“I’m sure my ex-wife isn’t too worried about where I’m sleeping,” James said bitterly. Severus wondered if he got dropped into a cartoon, because it felt as though someone had just crashed two metal garbage can lids on either side of his head.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Severus snapped back.

“I told her she could go to China and do her IWF work, or stay married to me. She made her choice,” James said simply, with way too much calmness. Severus continued to blink at him incredulously, not able to find the words or straighten out his feelings.

“We’ll be amicable about it, don’t worry,” James said.

“Can I make you some tea?” Severus said finally, when his mouth seemed to remember it could form words. James smiled and shook his head.

“No thanks, Sev. I’m just tired,” James said. Severus frowned, but nodded uncertainty.

“Alright, goodnight then,” Severus said, confusion clear in his voice as he closed the door.

Everything he felt he knew about the past few years suddenly shifted. James and Lily had fought of course. No couple was perfect, Lily had a famously short temper and James had an unfortunate habit of goading her on occasionally. Still, they were happy and loving far more than they were angry. Or at least, Severus reflected, it seemed that way to him. Thinking that he was wrong about that made him suddenly extremely insecure, James and Lily knew everything about him and suddenly there was this. Had he missed the signs? Been a poor friend? Did they fake their happiness around him?

These questions swirled around his head over and over again until he finally was pulled into a restless sleep. He woke up and hour later to the rustling of students in the common room outside of his room. Mixed in with the students’ conversation he could hear James’ laughter. With a frown, Severus went and opened the door.

James was sitting on a couch, letting go of a snitch and catching it.

“The trick, is to anticipate where it’s going to end up,” James explained to Anderson Rose, the Slytherin seeker who was watching James with rapture along with several other students. “Watch the wings. Go on, you try.”

Anderson did it successfully and smiled broadly back at James as his mates clapped.

“Good job,” James said. “Only don’t tell Professor McGonagall I taught you that or she’ll have my head.” The students laughed and murmured their agreement. James looked up at Severus and smiled.

“Morning, Professor,” he said brightly. Severus frowned.

“My office, now,” he said sternly.

“I’m in trouble,” James said in a stage-whisper to the group of students before getting to his feet. Still, James followed him obediently to his office on the other side of the common room.

“What are you doing?” Severus asked.

“For some reason, I am teaching Slytherins how to play Quidditch better,” James said with a smile.  

“You should be at home making breakfast for your children,” Severus said crossing his arms. The smile fell off of James face abruptly.

“Lily is spending the morning with them before going to China. I’m getting them in the afternoon” James said a little defiantly. “Assuming she doesn’t get shot and killed, we’ll tell them and work out some sort of joint custody when she gets back.”

Severus’ fear that he had imagined the Potter’s being happy when they really weren’t suddenly disappeared and the situation came into sharp focus.

“You are a fool,” Severus said calmly. “Let me guess, one of you, I’m going to guess Lily given her temper, said something a long the lines of well maybe we shouldn’t be married, and you, being an insufferable ass, said fine if you go to China we won’t be, and before either or you knew what was happening you were making visitation schedules for the kids because you are both too god-damn stubborn for your own good.”

“Why am I the ass?” James asked crossing his arms defensively. “She said it first. I thought just maybe she’d choose her husband over a bunch of random Muggles in another country.”

“No, you didn’t,” Severus roared back. “You knew if you gave her an ultimatum, she’d have to break it. That’s the woman you married. You know that better than anyone. You don’t want to leave her, you’re playing chicken. Seeing which one of you will back down first.”

“You know, I at least attempt to support you when you’re having a rough go of it,” James said after a moment. “It wouldn’t kill you to try to do the same.”

“You’ve had too good of a life to get this, Potter, but happiness is a fragile thing,” Severus said. “You are not entitled to it. You have to protect it, and since you are too dense to get that, I’m protecting yours for you. Now, you are going to pack your bags, go home, beg Lily for her forgiveness, and you will never pull a stunt like this again. Do I make myself clear?”

James looked away with a scowl and crossed his arms.

“I’m still mad at her,” he said, softening a little.

“You still love her, you shouldn’t have made her doubt that, Potter,” Severus said softly. James caught his eye and looked down guiltily. Finally he nodded.

When they approached Severus’ quarters, there was the sound of soft female voices, and then the sound of a child shrieking. Lily was sitting at the kitchen table with red-rimmed eyes and a cup of tea. Polly sat across from her, talking lowly and patting her arm as the kids played in the living room.

Any remaining anger dissolved off of James’ face the moment he saw Lily.

“Daddy!” Harry said happily from the living room.

“Hi bug,” James said vaguely, still staring at Lily. Her head jerked up, and she looked at him, her eyes filling with tears as she stood. Immediately, James was hugging her tightly.

“I’m so sorry,” he said. “So sorry. I didn’t mean a word of what I said.”

“No,” Lily said shaking her head through her tears. “No, it was my fault, I’m sorry.” Pauline smiled at Severus with her own unshed tears.

“I told them I couldn’t go to China,” Lily said softly. “I’ll put in my two weeks notice on Monday.”  James was already shaking his head.

“No, this is important, and it’s important to you. I can’t be the reason you give up on saving the world,” James said with a little smile, pushing her hair behind her ear. Lily launched herself at him and kissed him so passionately that his glasses flew up to his forehead. James returned the kiss with equal fervour.

“EW!” yelled Harry from the living room. “That’s gross.” Amelia looked out as well with a vaguely disapproving look. Sirius just sucked his thumb obliviously.

 “Hey - you and Polly wouldn’t mind taking the kids for two nights, would you?” James asked. “I’m going to go to China.” Pauline was already smiling and nodding.

“Please, Uncle Sev! I wanna see Bill and Charlie!” Harry said. Amelia nodded eagerly along with him, as though they ever had to convince him to let them stay. James kissed Lily again, and Severus rolled his eyes.

“Alright, let’s go and pack your bags then, this is becoming rapidly inappropriate for you to be seeing” Severus said with a long-suffering tone he didn’t really feel. He would never admit it, even to Pauline, but the Potter’s being happy was a firm foundation he counted on. Regardless of what happened in his life, they were always meant to be there, the both of them, ready to swoop in with familial support. He had a new sense of sympathy for children of divorce.

He looked over his shoulder just as he was about to exit the kitchen. Lily had her arms wrapped around James’ neck and was giving him the same doe-eyed look she had given him as an seventeen-year old. A small smile came to Severus’ face, and he shut the door behind him, all was right in the world again.

XXX


It was one of those weeks. The unseasonably cold winter had left the campus slushy and wet even though March was starting. Aside from the general gloominess, the winter also brought with it a flu which passed from student to student with such ferocity that the entire hospital wing had been filled with the worst cases.

Severus had put the one healthy first-year in with the three healthy second-years and converted the first-year door into a sick bay for the thirteen puking, fevered children.  He had been on his feet for the past two days on about four hours of sleep.

With a heavy sigh, he sat down on the plastic chair beside Rose Greene’s bed. The little first-year’s typically rosy cheeks were pale and sallow and her dark hair hang limply around her face. When she turned to look at him, her eyes were dull and red.

“How are you feeling, Rose?” asked Severus gently. He placed the back of his hand against her hot, sweaty forehead and frowned.

“Not worse,” she muttered.

“Alright, drink this,” said Severus bringing a fever reducer up to her lips and lifting up her head. She drank it all down in a two swallows, and laid back down with a little cough.

“Thanks,” she whispered curling up miserably. Severus touched her shoulder sympathetically, and was about to tell her to get sleep when the sound of vomiting caused him to turn around. Rob Bates, a reserved, soft-spoken redheaded boy in second-year, was getting violently ill all over the floor while Fern Dawson watched him with disgust from the bed beside his.

“Eww,” she said looking away.

“Alright, Fern, that’s enough,” muttered Severus, coming up to Rob who was still keeled over.

“I’m sorry, sir,” he said through his coughs. Instinctively, Severus reached out to put a hand on his back, but the boy flinched as though he expected to be hit.

“That’s alright. It’s not your fault. Drink this,” Severus said, already turning his attention to George Ferguson at the other end of the dorm who was starting to wake up from his fitful nap and needed medicine. It went on like this for the next few hours. He rubbed backs, wiped noses, vanished vomit and held the students who were sick enough to be reduced to tears.

Eventually, he had fallen asleep in the chair beside Laurel Fitzpatrick’s bed, whose fever had gotten so high he was debating dragging Madame Pomfrey down here. He was exhausted and slept so deeply that he didn’t notice someone was trying to get his attention until he felt someone shake him roughly. Dumbledore’s glasses were mere inches from his face.

“Whass’it?” muttered Severus unhelpfully.

“Severus, Severus, wake up,” ordered Dumbledore so insistently that Severus was immediately at attention. The man was looking at him with almost hyper-active attention, and by Severus’ watch it was only 2am.

“Severus. Pauline had the baby,” Dumbledore said, causing Severus to sit bolt upright in his chair. Pauline had gone to stay with the Potters, away from the germ-factory that at the moment was operating in Hogwarts, but she wasn’t supposed to have the baby for -

“It’s only 30 weeks!” said Severus stupidly. “The - it can’t - it’s not time.” For someone who usually chose their words with meticulous precious, he sounded absolutely ridiculous and even as he protested, he was getting to his feet.

“The - uhm - the students,” Severus said running a hand through his hair.

“I’ll watch them,” said Dumbledore, taking Severus’ seat beside Laurel as assurance. “Go, They’re at the Potters’.” Blindly, Severus stumbled out of the dorm-room, down the stairs and over to the fireplace.

“The Potters’” he said quickly, the words like chalk in his mouth. He wasn’t sure if it was the floo or the nauseous feeling of fear in his gut as he flew past fireplace after fireplace and nearly stumbled out of the living room.

The living room was dark and quiet and for a moment Severus wondered if Dumbledore was wrong. Pauline had planned to give birth in St. Mungo’s. Then he had another horrible thought - at only 30 weeks maybe the baby was gone, maybe they were both gone and no one knew how to tell him. He hadn’t even asked Dumbledore if they were ok in his hurry. Then, from the end of the hall he heard a voice singing a song he couldn’t quite make out.

Walking towards a singing voice in the dark with his wand lit was creepy and for a moment he was actually scared some sort of demon had taken his baby. As he approached Severus realized that the singing was the old Irish lullaby James still sang to his own children, and he turned the corner of his old bedroom to find James Potter sitting on a rocking chair, moving back and forth lazily with a tiny pile of blankets in his arms. Pauline was sleeping on the bed. James heard the footsteps and quickly looked up. When he saw Severus looking at him, he smiled broadly, then looked back down at the baby.

“Do you want to meet your Daddy?” asked James, the blob shifted in response, and Severus walked towards him like a zombie, feeling like he couldn’t take a proper breath.

“Is it bad?” Severus asked, not daring to look down at the baby. He could see just how tiny the baby was from how little space he took up in James’ arms and couldn’t bare to look closer.

With a heavy sigh, James eased himself out of the rocking chair holding the baby close as he did.

“Look, Severus,” James said angling the baby as much as he dared so Severus could see. “He’s absolutely perfect. And Polly’s fine too, she was fantastic.” Although his stomach momentarily declenched  at the mention of Pauline, he still barely encoded a word James said. He could not understand how something that was the size of one of Amelia’s dolls could be alive.

“He’s so tiny. How can he be that tiny?” Severus whispered anxiously, reaching his hand partly wanting to touch the baby, but not daring too.

“He’s fine. The magical support for premature babies is wonderful, Severus, really,” James soothed. “He’ll need magical blankets to help regulate his temperature, will have to have his food spelled into him, and the Healers want to monitor his breathing, but he has been doing beautifully so far. Haven’t you, little man?” cooed James, giving his index finger to the baby who could barely wrap the his hand around it. Severus couldn’t help but note that James was looking at that baby with the same tender expression he used when he looked at his own children.

“Come on, sit down,” James said gently, holding out his arms. “This little guy wants to meet his Daddy. He’s been waiting so patiently.”

“I don’t know, James. He’s so small. I might do it wrong, and he’s happy with you,” Severus said quickly, taking an unconscious step back from the baby and James.

“It’s always scary the first time,” James said with a sympathetic smile. “Now, sit down and hold out your arms.” Reluctantly, Severus did what he was told, but instead of being handed the baby, James took out his wand and waved it making Severus’ skin tingle.

“Disinfectant spell,” said James at Severus look. Instantly, Severus deflated. He had been around sick children all day and was about to hold a premature baby. Well, it only took him 5 minutes to almost kill his child.

“James, I -”

“Hold your son, Severus,” James said in a tone that would have been sharp if James ever spoke sharply to anyone. He reached out his arms again, and James gently lowered the sleeping baby into them as though he was transferring C-4.

Registering his change of environment, the baby opened his eyes and reached up his hand. Severus studied everything, the little fingers, little tuft of black hair, the light eyes - so like Polly’s and felt as though all the air had left him. He was so petrified and so happy he didn’t know what he was feeling. All he knew was that he was impossibly in love with this little baby.

Suddenly the sound of another baby crying broke the moment, and James cringed and looked upstairs.

“Sorry. That would be Grace,” he said. “I’d better fetch her before she wakes up Sirius who then would wake up the whole village.” James turned to leave and Severus felt a sudden swell of panic.

“What do I do?” Severus sputtered looking down at the little baby. James gave Severus a slightly incredulous look.

“Severus, you have dealt with my babies before, you do remember that, right?” James said. “You know what to do, alright?” Severus nodded, barely encoding James’ reassurances as he looked down at his son’s pink little face.

“Hi baby,” whispered Severus stroking the warm, fuzzy little cheek. The baby yawned and turned his head towards Severus’ fingers. “I’m your Daddy.”

“Sev?” whispered Pauline from the bed, opening her eyes blearily and smiling. Severus quickly scrambled to his feet and sat on the side of the bed.

“Paul! How are you feeling? Are you ok?” asked Severus as he grabbed her hand. She smiled tiredly and reached her hands out for the baby that was starting to fuss.

“Perfect!” said Pauline, cuddling the baby close with a smile. He sucked in a deep breath as he looked down at his family. The one he never thought he’d be able to have. He never imagined he’d be this happy, love something this much. Without him asking, Polly shuffled over on the bed to make room for him. He eased himself down and wrapped an arm around his wife with a relieved sigh. They sat in peaceful silence for a while, as the baby fell back asleep.

“What happened?” asked Severus softly. Pauline laughed and shuffled the baby up to lay across her chest.

“I couldn’t sleep so James was playing cards with me and then my water broke, and I’m freaking out by this point. So, we’re going to go to the hospital but there was just no time. The baby’s coming like now. Then bam, I’m on the floor, James is boiling water and telling me to push. I’m telling him that there is no way I’m having this baby ten weeks early without you. God he must have thought I was so crazy. And poor Sirius and Amelia are sobbing and Harry is trying to calm them down.”

Severus ran a hand through his hair and chuckled dryly, not knowing whether to be horrified or amused.

“And God, poor James. Everyone is screaming and crying, and he’s as calm as can be, saying that it’s all going to be ok and he won’t leave. And you know James, he’s just so damn earnest how can you not believe him. So out popped the baby - I mean the bus was really driving itself at this point. And I don’t think James was really worried until the baby came out and there was this horrible moment where he wasn’t crying, and James was bent over him, and I could tell he didn’t want me to see. Then he cried and James bundled him up in a bunch of Gracie’s blankets and wouldn’t stop watching him until the healer came. He still was worried something would go wrong. But I knew he was alright the moment James gave him to me.”

Severus leaned over Pauline with one hand and kissed her deeply, pushing her hair off of her face with the other hand.

“I am so glad you’re both ok,” he whispered, brushing a hand over the baby’s head as he pulled away. Pauline smiled tiredly up at him.

“Go back to sleep,” said Severus, taking the baby back.

“You aren’t coming to bed?” she asked, even as her eyes started to close.

“I’ll be back in a moment.”  He whispered placing the baby back in the basinet, brushing his cheek with a long finger.

He walked into the kitchen toward the sound of another baby fussing. An exhausted looking James was in the kitchen warming up a bottle with his wand with Grace on his hip. Lily was sitting at the kitchen table with a large pile of baby clothes, nappies and bottles in front of her and boxes of baby stuff around the kitchen.

“I know, I know. You’ve had a long day,” James said to the little 6-month old who was slumped across his shoulder tiredly. They both looked up as he entered the kitchen, and Lily jumped to her feet with her arms open.

“Sev, congratulations!” she said, throwing her arms around his neck enthusiastically. More out of instinct than anything, Severus briefly returned the hug.

“I’m not sure what your congratulating me for. I certainly didn’t do anything,” mumbled Severus. Both James and Lily eyes him warily for a moment.

“Clearly you did something,” James said, raising his eyebrows in an attempt to inject some levity into the conversation. It fell flat, and he stopped smirking at the dirty looks both Lily and Severus threw at him. Severus met James’ eye and hesitated for a moment. There were so many things to say, so many debts owed, but he couldn’t find the words.

“Don’t mention it, Severus, really,” James said gently after watching Severus struggle to for a few moments.

“Right, I should be getting back then,” said Severus, turning to go. This was one of those moments where everything down to James’ slightly skewed glasses made him feel manifestly inadequate. Everything always came so easy to James: school, socializing, fatherhood. Severus had rarely seen the man raise his voice to his children, let alone a hand, and he certainly never missed any of his children’s birthdays.

“Wait,” Lily said, getting up again and passing him over a large stack of baby stuff. “I’ve shrunken what I can. This should last you a while.” Severus blinked down at the pile. He hadn’t even thought of diapers. What if the baby’s diaper was full right now and he didn’t know it and the poor baby was just stewing in its own filth.

“Severus, you know he’s going to be ok, right?” asked Lily gently, resting a hand on his arm. “Premature just doesn’t mean the same thing in the magical world. Molly Weasley says it’s lucky in fact.”

“Yes, I know it’s just…” Severus hesitated and looked up to Lily and James’ concerned expressions. Even Grace seemed to be regarding him seriously. The gentle concern in their expressions broke the dam that had been carefully suppressing his roiling emotions.

“It’s just the nursery isn’t even finished yet, we were supposed to do all the shopping next week, and now were completely unprepared, and I wasn’t even there for them when he was born. The boy’s been alive only a few hours and I’m already a failure as a father,” Severus spat out bitterly.

“I keep forgetting how melodramatic you can get,” said Lily. Severus looked up, offended and slightly displeased at being mocked but Lily held his gaze with a gentle smile.

“Come on, mate. Sit down, want me to make you some chilli?,” James asked summoning a plate from the kitchen before Severus could answer.

“You don’t need to do that,” Severus said, blushing as James handed Grace to Lily and started to summon beans and meat with such speed that it looked like the food was orbiting him.

“When was the last time you had a decent meal? A decent night’s sleep? You’ve been going for days with those sick kids. I’m making you chilli,” James said, point his wand at a knife which promptly set to work cutting peppers and onions.

“Then you’re going to go smell that baby’s head, then have a good sleep,” Lily said, patting his arm. Even though they were the same age, it was one of those moments where the Potters felt like his parents.

“Nothing that happened was your fault, Sev,” said Lily with a sigh. “Noone thinks their baby is going to arrive seven weeks early.”

“Yea, and it’s not like you were, you know gambling away his college fund while Polly was in labour,” added James from the stove. The spicy smell of chilli wafted through the kitchen. A smell that Severus long ago had reluctantly associated with soothing comfort.

“You were helping a bunch of sick kids who depend on you. Which you have been doing for days. I mean if you need proof you are going to be a decent father…” James said popping a carrot in his mouth as he siphoned all the ingredients to a large pot and lit the stove.

“Everyone thinks they’re the worst parent in the world at the beginning,” Lily said gently. She picked Grace up and, without warning plopped her in Severus’ lap. They both blinked at each other in surprise for a moment, then Grace smiled and started to babble happily.

“See, you great with ours. Amelia, Harry, Sirius, even little Gracie knows she loves you,” continued Lily as she started to fold her pile of newborn baby clothes again. “You don’t think we’d will you our kids if we thought you were going to be a shit parent, right?” Grace who had been grasping around, landed her little hand on one of the small circular burns that created a row down Severus’ arm.

“I’m sure my Dad didn’t think he’d be pushing cigars into his kid’s arm and locking him up in cupboards for days either,” muttered Severus, almost involuntarily. He almost never brought up his parents, but it was impossible to bring a son into the world without thinking of the father who had done so many years ago.

“If you don’t want to treat your son badly, Severus, then don’t,” James said simply, spooning out the chilli on to a plate.  Severus didn’t respond to that, there had been too many tearful, drunken apologies from his father for it to be that simple. James sat down at the table and pushed the chilli towards Severus.

“Eat,” James instructed, taking Grace out of Severus’ lap and clapping him on the back. He didn’t feel very hungry but took a few small bites anyways.

“Look, why don’t you all stay here for a few weeks,” asked James. Severus stopped his eating looking up at James incredulously, but he continued undeterred.

“There's a basinet, we have tons of diapers. We can help out.” Lily nodded along with James. Severus sat back in his chair, already shaking his head negatively without even thinking through the statement.

“No - I -” said Severus.

“James is right,” Lily cut in. “We have everything you need here and having an extra pair of  hands really helps when they’re new. This way you won’t have to move the baby until he’s bigger, and Polly can rest. I don't want to brag, but James and I, we’re pretty good with babies.”   

James raised Gracie’s little hands in the air and started to move them around excitedly.

“Please stay with us, Uncle Sev! I want to play with my new cousin!” he said in a baby-voice, getting the first hesitant smile from Severus.

“Severus, I’m home all day with the kids. I can be here for them when you go back to work,” pressed James more seriously. At some point in Severus’ life, after some torture or death in the family, the Potters’ had become a secure base.  There was always so many people, and so much happiness and love, it was impossible not to feel even a little safer in the house when when one was sick or hurt or lonely. The thought of crawling back to that safe base made Severus’ throat ache.

“I can’t ask you guys to do that,” he rasped, thinking of the four small children already running around the house.

“Actually, you could, but you’re not. We’re offering,” said Lily sitting back on her chair.

“Insisting, actually,” James said, pushing the chilli back towards Severus. “I wanna play with the little baby.” Severus smirked, but his forehead was scrunched thoughtfully as he took a few. large bites.  

“It’ll only be for a little while,” he relented finally, sounding almost apologetic.

“You stay as long as you like. The children will be over-the-moon,” Lily said, reaching across the table and squeezing his shoulder. “Now we have an extremely important matter to discuss.” Severus looked up in surprise and a little apprehension.

“If you die in some sort of large fire, we get the baby right?” James said, Lily scowled at him than turned apologetically to Severus.

“That’s not what I was going to ask,” she said.

“If I died in a fire, I think it’s fair that Polly gets to keep our baby, Potter,” Severus said with a smirk. “But yes, Polly and I would like you to be Godparents, if you accept of course. Though your undisguised glee is a little concerning.” Both James and Lily’s eyes were shinning brightly, and Severus blinked at them in confusion.

“This shouldn’t be a surprise…” he said looking between them uncertainly. Before he could protest further, they had both thrown their arms around him, squishing poor Grace unceremoniously between them.

“Oh alright,” he muttered.

“Ok now that we have that out of the way…” Lily said pulling out a soft, knit blue blanket from the pile of baby clothes, the blanket Lily hand-knit all of her children. For a moment, Severus though it was one of the Potters’ children’s, but Sirius still slept with his and Harry’s had been reduced to shreds with use. Both the girls had lavender blankets.

“This is for him?” Severus said, taking the blanket as though it was some precious object.

“Of course. I had to use magic, because not even I am anal enough to have a baby blanket knit that early,” Lily said with a smile. “I wanted him to have it right away.”

Severus continued to study the blue blanket in awe. He had no siblings, no parents, and neither did Polly. He had always expected that their baby would have his parents, and no one else. Considering how Severus felt about the Potters’ children it was perhaps surprising but he never thought that there would be some sort of extended family for him. Severus never had Aunts or Uncle, it seemed his son already had more people looking out for him. Maybe Severus had given his child something after all.

“Now, it needs a name,” Lily said. “Polly wanted you to tell us so you’d have some fun.” Severus lips quirked at that and he ran the soft blue fabric between his fingers.

“Michael, after her father,” Severus said. They both smiled their approval and James bent down to Gracie’s ear.

“Can you say Michael?” he cooed. The baby gurgled in response, and James shook his head.

“Sorry mate, you’re going to have to go with someone a little easier. How about Gababa?” James asked looking up from the baby. Severus caught James’ eye, took a reluctant breath…he never thought this day would come.

“Michael James Snape,” muttered Severus. He hadn’t asked Polly, but he knew she would agree. The man had saved their child’s life at only a few seconds in, likely saved Polly too, and though Severus would never be able to find the words to tell James how much that meant to him, how much he had come to rely on, care about and love that man, he hoped this would show something.

James’ mouth was rounded in surprise, and he blinked at Severus for a few seconds silently. Shutting Potter up was a challenging task and Severus felt quite impressed with himself.

“After me?” James choked out harshly, still looking overwhelmed.

“I’m already regretting the decision,” Severus grumbled in response. There was no need to have a soap opera about it.

“No take-backs!” yelped James delightedly Lily tapped the blanket with her wand and Michael James Snape appeared in silver cursive on the edge of the blanket. Severus smiled, at that moment, weak cries could be heard from down the hall. Wanting Polly to rest, Severus immediately got to his feet and nodded his head toward the bedroom.

“I’d better get him,” he muttered getting up.

“Aw remember when we first had Harry and we were so eager to go running for every cry,” Lily said with a laugh to James.

“Ah yes, so young, so naive, so energetic,” James replied. Severus scowled at him and exited the kitchen.

“I bet he’s going to stay up and watch him sleep all night too,” Lily said, her tinkling laugh following Severus down the hall.

“You know, I kind of want another one,” said James thoughtfully after a moment. Even as he said it, Severus could hear James pick little Grace up.

“The only way that’s happening is if you get to go through labour this time,” said Lily with a laugh. Severus smiled to himself as he opened the door to the bedroom. Polly was already sitting up but Severus waived her back down. Reluctantly, she accepted.

Michael’s cheeks were rosy and his cry was insistent, most important, it seemed that he hadn’t inherited Severus’ nose. Cautiously, he picked the small bundle up out of the bassinet, spelled the food in that needed to be spelled in and changed the baby’s diaper. When he was finished he wrapped the crying baby up gently in the blue blanket and sat on the rocking chair with him.

“It’s alright. I’m here,” whispered Severus. As if he understood him, the baby stopped fussing and looked up at Severus curiously. Briefly, Severus wondered if his own father had held him like this, if he had felt the same pressure in his chest when he stared down at Severus.

He thought back to what James had said back in the kitchen, that being a good, gentle father was all about deciding to be one. He rubbed the baby’s tiny back, humming the lullaby he had heard James and Lily sing to the Potter children time-after-time.

“I don’t think my father ever sang me a lullaby,” Severus told the baby softly. The boy yawned widely and blinked his gold eyes up at the ceiling. Nothing bad had happened to this little human yet. He hadn’t been hurt or scared, as far as he knew the world was a good place where people took care of him. Severus was determined not to disabuse the baby of that notion. Tenderly, he ran a finger across the baby’s warm, pudgy cheek.

“Things are going to be different for us,” Severus said gently. He put his finger in the baby’s tiny hand and it curled to hold the finger tightly. Severus took that as a leap of faith and kissed the small fingers.
The End.
End Notes:
Please Review : ). I know I am posting a lot of chapters, but it would make me night if I could hear what you thought about each one.

I also meant to say this last chapter, but the ring got taken to Azkaban, but the guards kept it safe with his other possessions, just like they would with our possessions here. I think Sev would have tried to give the ring back, but James would have refused, or if he did accept it, James would have given it to him again when the time came.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3049