Behind Closed Doors by The Lonely God With A Box
Summary: AU - Minerva becomes concerned when Harry does not respond to his acceptance letter. She sends Severus to check on him, and he soon finds that all is not well at the Dursley house. Abused!Harry, Semi-Dark!Dumbledore (you won't understand till you read it).
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Evil!Albus, Slytherin!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Rape, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 117286 Read: 172125 Published: 04 Jun 2014 Updated: 06 Jun 2014
The Sorting Feast by The Lonely God With A Box

It was over breakfast the next morning when Severus and Harry had The Talk. Not that Talk, but Harry began asking questions. Questions that Severus knew he had to answer, but didn't want to.

"Are you my godfather?" Harry asked.

"No, I'm not," Severus answered.

"But you look after me," Harry said. "And you said a godfather helps look after someone."

"Right," Severus agreed, "but a godparent is chosen by the parents of the child. Mr. Malfoy asked me when Draco was born if I would be his godfather, and I agreed."

"Then..." Harry hesitated. "I don't have a godfather?" He almost looked like he was going to cry. Severus knew Harry just wanted someone to love him for what he was. He wanted to be normal above all else. And that was something he never would have.

"Yes, you have a godfather," Severus said, guardedly. "But he's in prison for a terrible crime. His name is Sirius Black." Harry nodded.

"So it's like a don't have one."

"Yes, and no," Severus said. Oh, boy, now he was getting more complicated than ever! "Harry, I don't quite know how to explain this to you. But you need to understand." He set his silverware down, to focus on what he was going to say. Harry did likewise. "You deserve the truth, and I'll give it to you. Do you remember me telling you about the Dark Lord killing your parents?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

"Well, you see," Severus said, clearly stalling for time. "There were two people who betrayed them."

"Who were they?" Harry asked, not seeing how this connected to anything.

"There was a man who told the Dark Lord something - a prophecy - about a little boy who would defeat him. The man didn't really believe that the Dark Lord would take it seriously. But he did. And the Dark Lord began hunting for this little boy - who turned out to be you. So you and your parents had gone into hiding, and there was only one person - the secret keeper - who could tell the Dark Lord where they were.

"The secret keeper was your godfather, Sirius Black, who is now in prison for betraying your parents, among other things. The other man - the one who delivered the prophecy - is myself." Severus almost hung his head in shame. He hadn't wanted to tell Harry that, but he also knew that if Harry found out later, from anyone else, the situation would not be helped. Harry just looked at him silently, and Severus felt panic rising in him.

He didn't know how he could react if this child rejected him! As well he should. He just couldn't let that happen. He had to try to make Harry see.

"I'm very, truly, and deeply sorry for what I did that night," Severus said, setting his elbows on the table and running his hands over his face. "I loved your mother very much, and I would have done anything to save her. I begged for her life, but it didn't work. I hope you can forgive me. I understand if you don't." Severus looked at Harry anxiously, and for once, it was Severus who felt scared. He just couldn't face the rejection. "I've been working for years to try to undo the damage I caused. But I don't think I'll ever make it. Lily will never come back."

"That was my mother's name? Lily?" Harry whispered. Severus nodded. He didn't trust his voice to respond. How had this child become so important to him in such a short time? Well, it had to be Lily working her magic over him even in death. Either that, or more likely, Harry's desperate cry for love was so loud it could even reach his deaf ears. Severus covered his face with his hands, refusing to look at Harry. He couldn't watch Harry's decision.

Then he felt a small hand on his shoulder. He looked to his right, and Harry was standing next to him, hesitantly reaching out. He looked rather nervous, but otherwise perfectly normal.

"Please don't cry," Harry whispered. "You didn't mean it."

"I know I didn't," Severus said, scooping Harry up into his lap, relief washing over him as he realized he hadn't lost him forever. "But I need to make it up somehow. Black was a friend of your father's. I almost ended up your godfather. If your mother had had her way, I would have been.

"Now, when I child's parents die, custody of the child goes to the godparent," Severus explained. "But due to unique circumstances, since your godfather was put into prison, he could not have custody of you. So, what the Ministry of Magic and Headmaster Dumbledore decided was that you would live with your relatives, and they would have custody of you for all intents and purposes just like any other case of custody. But Dumbledore retained your magical custody. Which is why he can decide that you attend Hogwarts."

"So he's like my magical godfather?" Harry asked brightly. Ah! If only he didn't have to warn the child about Dumbledore every so lightly. He couldn't be too obvious about it or the meddling old fool would see what he said in Harry's mind.

"Perhaps you could say that," Severus said.

"Then why did he let me stay at the Dursleys?" Harry asked, now not so happy at the thought of Dumbledore. Severus bit the inside of his cheek lightly.

"That's what I would like to know, Harry," Severus said. "I had thought you were being cared for, and that was why I hadn't shown up before. Another professor, shall we say, encouraged me to check on you."

"Why hasn't he come to visit me, if he's like my godfather?"

"Because I told him not to," Severus said. "I didn't want him startling you, or causing you any problems. He can be a little eccentric sometimes."

"Eccentric?"

"Slightly crazy," Severus smirked.

"Does he care about me?" Harry whispered. This was the question that Harry had been leading up to the whole time, and Severus knew it.

"I honestly don't know, Harry," Severus murmured back. "I honestly don't know."

.oO-Oo.

Later in the day, Severus brought Harry down to his lab, where he began brewing a simple potion.

"Harry, come stand up on a chair, and watch," he said. Harry obliged, and leaned over the cauldron. "Would you like to stir?" he asked. The potion didn't need any particular times or styles of stirring and it would be safe enough for Harry to do.

Hesitantly, Harry accepted the wooden spoon handle and began to stir, under Severus' careful watch.

"Do you like it?" Severus asked after a few minutes.

"Yes, sir," Harry said, very definite in his tone.

"Would you like to continue to help me in the future? I have to finish a number of potions before the start of the school year."

"Please, sir!" Harry said, and smiled.

And so Harry began to help with Severus' potions, stirring and chopping. Harry, of course, was a natural at stirring and chopping, since he had cooked for years at the Dursleys. But here, Harry didn't mind using his skills. He wasn't being forced to, and he did something he actually enjoyed. He and Severus were quiet when they were in his lab, but it still felt good to be in Severus' presence.

.oO-Oo.

Finally, the day came when Severus couldn't escape it any more. Harry was going to make him talk to Lucius about his dreams. And Severus would go through hell and back for Harry. In some ways, he was doing that.

"Harry," Severus said, "I'll be going to Mr. Malfoy's for a bit. I told you I would discuss that dream with someone, and I will. Just to show you how much you mean to me, alright?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said. Harry had been as determined to demonstrate to Severus what he was worth as Severus had been to demonstrate Harry's. Severus ruffled Harry's mop of hair and stepped through the fireplace. Of course, he had arranged his meeting with Lucius prior, so he was expected.

"Severus!" Lucius greeted him. "You wanted to discuss something. Or, rather, according to you in Diagon Alley, Harry wanted you to discuss something."

"Yes, as always, right to the point," Severus said, take a seat in Lucius' living room. "Harry was witness to a nightmare I had." Lucius smirked slightly. "Don't you even dare make a comment!" Severus raged. "I'm not here for my own sanity! It's for Harry!"

"Of course, of course," Lucius agreed. "Do continue. Undoubtedly, you've told Harry to talk about the nightmares he has, and so he told you to talk about yours. You can't reveal them to him, so to follow through you go to someone else." Severus huffed and glared at Lucius.

"Yes, yes," he said. "Anyway, it was just a nightmare where Harry was being abused and I couldn't help him, that's all. Nothing more. So, now, Lucius, since I've told you, I believe that concludes my obligation to Harry, and I need to get back to prepare for school."

"Not so fast," Lucius said. "You realize this means that you are deeply attached to Harry? And that you fear you'll be inadequate to protect him." Severus sighed.

"If you say so," he huffed.

"Why do you think you might not be able to protect him?"

"Because of Dumbledore," Severus admitted after a few moments. "He still thinks Harry should go back to the Dursleys at the end of the school year, and I don't have any say about it. My only leverage is being his spy. But I'm sure he'll find a way to manipulate that into nothing. He could easily discharge me from my position at the school, which would mean I would be useless to the Dark Lord as a spy. With no means of an income, I would be even less able to care for Harry under any circumstances. For awhile, it would be fine because of savings. But money runs out. Why am I telling you this? Don't get the idea that I'll just tell you anything!"

"You have your secrets, and I have mine," Lucius said, pouring Severus a drink. He proceeded to pour one for himself. "I can arrange that you receive custody of Harry, if you so desire. I can at least try if nothing else."

"That would be wonderful," Severus agreed. "I can't let Harry go back there at the end of the school year. I just can't."

"I will have to be subtle, of course," Lucius said, "but by the end of the school year, hopefully something will be arranged. Perhaps that will make you sleep better."

"Perhaps," Severus agreed. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, my friend," Lucius said.

"Have you spoken to Draco yet about Harry?"

"Yes, I have," Lucius replied. "He took it very well. There were obviously a lot of foreign concepts to him. I know you don't approve of all my means of discipline, and that is your perogative, but I have never been cruel to Draco. He will be very respectful and cooperative with Harry. At some level, Draco actually likes him."

"Harry needs some friends, even if he won't know what to do with them. Draco knows to take the initiative and not be offended if Harry is shy?"

"Of course," Lucius nodded. "I have gone over many possible reactions, and Draco will overlook them all. He can be subtle if he wants to be. If you should have any other troubles with that old fool of a Headmaster, let me know."

"I will, and thank you for speaking to Draco."

"It is not a problem."

.oO-Oo.

Harry's reading and other remedial classes came along surprisingly well. Severus found it a joy to teach Harry, since he actually wanted to learn. The biggest difficulty was that Harry wanted to learn how to read too badly. Very often, Severus had to remind Harry that affection and food did not hang in the balance. Although he controlled his reactions, Harry still didn't believe that. He was still convinced that if he didn't complete his goals perfectly, there would be hell to pay after. Severus just hoped and prayed that gradually Harry would relax and trust him completely. He didn't know what else to do. Perhaps there was nothing else he could do.

.oO-Oo.

And so the day of the Sorting Feast came. Harry was clearly being eaten away by apprehension. He was pacing, or simply sitting on the edge of a chair, but he wasn't interacting with Severus, and he wasn't eating much either. His eating habits had improved greatly over the past month, and he had put on some weight. He was still too thin, and ate too little, but there was definite progress.

"Harry, you need to eat your lunch!" Severus demanded. "I know you're nervous about the sorting. You will be fine. You will get a house, I promise. And whatever house you get, it will be a good one."

"But what if I don't?" Harry whispered, still just gazing at his food.

"That can't happen," Severus replied. "But, let's just suppose it does. When it doesn't, I would simply have to speak to the Headmaster about burning the Hat. And then you'd get a house. I promise you will get a house. Now, don't worry, and eat your food."

"Yes, sir," Harry said, and began picking at his chicken.

.oO-Oo.

Hours later, Snape brought Harry to the doors in front of the Great Hall. Harry was dressed in his wizarding robes, and played with his hands nervously under the long sleeves. Harry was glad that they had long sleeves, because then it would be easier to hide all his scars. He knew that anyone but Snape who saw his scars would reject him immediately.

"Just wait here until the other first years come, and then you can all go in together," Snape instructed. "Professor McGonnagall will show you what to do. Draco will be there, and you can stay with him."

"Yes, sir," Harry said, still looking terrified.

"I will be sitting up at the head table, with the rest of the staff. I will be there, watching, don't worry."

"Yes, sir," Harry said again, but the thought of Snape watching, while comforting a little bit, also scared him. What if he did something wrong and humiliated Snape in front of everyone?

"You'll do fine," Snape whispered in his ear, as he quickly hugged Harry. Then Snape was gone, and Harry stood alone in the vestibule. Thankfully, though, or perhaps not, in a couple minutes there were shouts and people coming up the stairs. Harry pressed himself against the wall, and then saw the other first years coming up the stairs. He slipped into the crowd without being noticed. He searched the crowd for Draco and quickly found him by his distinctive hair.

There were just so many people! It was suffocating. Everyone was close to him, and that didn't make him feel comfortable at all. With the exception of Snape, whenever he was close to anyone, it always resulted in something bad for him. He would never have a chance with all these people if they decided to move against him.

"Hi," Harry said, very quietly as he stood beside Draco.

"Hi, Harry," Draco said, breaking into a smile. "Nice to see you again. Did you have a nice month?"

"Yes," Harry said. "And you?"

"Yep. Didn't do a whole lot. Just stuff, you know."

"Yeah, I did stuff too."

"Anything exciting?"

"Well, I - " and then Harry stopped himself. He didn't want to admit he couldn't read before that month. He still wasn't very good at it, he knew, but at least he could get by now. "No, not really. Made some potions."

"Hey, that's really cool," Draco said. "My dad wouldn't let me make any potions ahead." Draco huffed a bit. "Said they were too dangerous if I didn't know what I was doing."

"Mr. Malfoy! Mr. Potter!" Professor McGonnagal announced, and the two fell silent. Harry looked mortified, but Draco just raised an eyebrow. "You will stop the chatter this instant. Now, you can all get in there for the sorting!"

Harry looked like he was about to cry. Draco really felt sorry for him. He didn't know what to do though.

"Don't worry, it's fine," he whispered discretely. "Nothing's going to happen to us." Harry nodded, and looked a little better, but not much. The nerves from the upcoming sorting were just too much for him. They all sat down, and on a table in the front of the room, an old torn hat sat as the center of attention. It began to sing a song.

"Oh you may not think I'm pretty,
But don't judge on what you see,
I'll eat myself if you can find
A smarter hat than me.

You can keep your bowlers black,
Your top hats sleek and tall,
For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat
And I can cap them all.

There's nothing hidden in your head
The Sorting Hat can't see,
So try me on and I will tell you
Where you ought to be.

You might belong in Gryffindor,
Where dwell the brave at heart,
Their daring, nerve, and chivalry
Set Gryffindors apart;

You might belong in Hufflepuff,
Where they are just and loyal,
Those patient Hufflepuffs are true
And unafraid of toil;

Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw,
if you've a ready mind,
Where those of wit and learning,
Will always find their kind;

Or perhaps in Slytherin
You'll make your real friends,
Those cunning folks use any means
To achieve their ends.

So put me on! Don't be afraid!
And don't get in a flap!
You're in safe hands (though I have none)
For I'm a Thinking Cap!"

Then Professor McGonnagall went over to the hat and began to call names. One by one, children got up and went over, having the hat set on their heads.

"Granger, Hermione!"

A girl with frizzy hair went up, very confidently, with her chin in the air. She sat down, and McGonnagall put the hat on her head.

"Ravenclaw!" the hat called. Granger looked smugly at a a boy with red hair, and went to the Ravenclaw table.

"Longbottom, Neville!"

"Hufflepuff!" Well, this Longbottom boy looked a bit disappointed.

"Malfoy, Draco!"

"Be good while I'm gone," Draco whispered, smiling at Harry, and squeezing his hand.

"Good luck," Harry whispered back.

"Slytherin!" the hat said, hardly sitting on his head a moment. Draco looked at Harry, nodded encouragingly, and went to the Slytherin table. Time seemed to slow down for Harry. It was awful because it just dragged out the whole ceremony.

"Potter, Harry!" finally called him out of his reverie. He rose slowly, and came up to the chair. Glancing up at Snape, Snape gave him the smallest of nods. He sat down, and McGonnagall put the hat on him, ignoring the involuntary flinch.

"Please give me a house, any house," Harry began pleading mentally the moment the hat was on his head.

"Hmm, Harry Potter," the hat replied. "I've waited 10 long years to sort you. And you're willing to take any house?"

"Yes, please just give me a house."

"You're rather brave, certainly self-sacrificing, and you care very deeply. You're brilliant, and you're also willing to use that for your own ends. Hmm, problems, problems."

"Does...does this mean I don't get a house?"

"No, no, no, my dear boy, you'll get a house. Don't worry yourself. How about Gryffindor?"

"Yes, sir."

"Ah, but you seem disappointed in that. Why is that?"

"But I'm not, Mr. Hat!"

"Yes, you are. I can read your thoughts plainly enough. Even if I do already know the answer, what house would you like?"

"Um...Slytherin please? But I'll take anything!"

"Slytherin!" the hat called, and Harry slipped off the chair with a sigh of relief. He had gotten a house! And he had gotten the one he wanted too. It was Draco's house and it was Snape's house. He would make both of them proud. Walking over to the Slytherin table, Draco made room for him and motioned him to sit down. Harry did so, giving Draco a smile, which Draco returned.

"Weasley, Ronald!"

"He's a sure bet for Gryffindor," Draco whispered. "His whole family is Gryffindor."

"Gryffindor!" the hat called.

"See?" Draco whispered again.

Then the Headmaster got up and gave a speech. Something about not going into the forest, and a few other things, but Harry was too excited about getting a house to pay much attention, even though he tried. He really did try.

"Let the feast begin!" Dumbeldore finally ended, and food appeared on the table. Harry blinked at it for a few moments, as Draco reached for the mashed potatoes.

"Here, Harry," Draco said. "Take some." Nodding mutely, Harry did as Draco instructed, and before he knew it, Draco had filled Harry's plate. Then Harry began to eat, even if his stomach still had butterflies. He risked another glance at Snape, who was talking to a man in a turban. Apparently Snape was annoyed, or at least he looked annoyed. Harry hoped it wasn't at him. Suddenly, he wondered if he shouldn't have tried for Snape's house. Maybe that was something he didn't want to share.

"What's wrong, Harry?" Draco asked, in between bites of corn.

"Nothing," Harry replied quickly.

"Yeah, right," Draco scoffed. "Fine, don't tell me, but don't tell me nothing's wrong. I'm not stupid."

"Sorry," Harry whispered, now afraid that he had offended his only friend.

"What for? Don't be. It's fine. Don't forget to eat!" Draco smiled. But Harry couldn't bring himself to eat more than a few mouthfuls. All these people! He was terrified. Relieved that he got a house, and that Draco still talked to him, but terrified of everyone else. He was shaking slightly as he thought about whether Snape was angry with him or not. His breathing increased, and he started wringing his hands in his lap.

"You're not okay," Draco whispered, looking concerned.

"I'm fine," Harry contracted, panicky. Draco looked up at Snape, who was now looking their way, and Snape nodded to him. Getting up from the table, he came over to where Harry sat. Snape put a hand on each of the boy's shoulders, and Harry flinched. He hadn't flinched under Snape's touch in a long time, but now he was terrified of what the man would do.

"What's the matter?" he asked quietly. Draco just looked at Harry, whose panic had risen through the roof.

"Harry," Snape tried again, "what's the matter?" He put both hands on Harry's shoulders and turned him to face him. Harry shook his head, and Snape sighed.

"Alright, I'll take you with me to my rooms, alright?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

"I would like it," a voice began from behind Snape, "if you could bring him to my office."

"And why would I do that, Headmaster?" Snape replied without turning to face him.

"Because I've requested it, and I do have the power to fire you." Snape made a face, but Harry knew it was directed at the Headmaster.

"I demand to be there," Snape compromised.

"Alright, let's all go then," Dumbledore said.

.oO-Oo.

Severus stalled for a moment to get Harry alone outside Dumbledore's office.

"I'll be with you, Harry," he said. "But try not to look him in the eyes. Even if he tells you to, try not to. It's very important." He hoped Harry would remember because just telling him this would arouse Dumbledore's suspicions, and it was bad enough having half of the Death Eater community rejecting him. Then they went into the office, where Dumbledore was already sitting.

"Hello, Harry," Dumbledore said. "How are you doing?"

"Fine, sir," Harry responded, playing with his robes, careful, Severus noticed, to look at the floor.

"How do you like being a Slytherin?" Harry looked up at Severus, and he looked terrified.

"Fine, sir," Harry said, returning his gaze to the floor.

"I would have supposed you would be in Gryffindor, since that was where your parents came from. You'll have to be brave so that you can deal with Voldemort again some day." Harry glanced up at the name when he saw Severus wince. "Why did the Hat sort you into Slytherin?"

"I object, Headmaster!" Severus shouted, making Harry jump. "What is said between the Hat and the child is confidential. Harry does not have to answer that."

"Of course not," Dumbledore quickly agreed. "But if you would like to tell me, Harry, I would be interested in hearing it."

"You don't have to tell him," Severus mumbled. Harry shook his head, and his breaths began coming raggedly. "If you don't mind, Headmaster, I believe Mr. Potter is finished here." Severus put his hand on Harry's shoulder and steered him to the door.

"Good evening, Professor Snape," Dumbledore said.

"Yes, good evening, Headmaster," Snape sneered back.

.oO-Oo.

When they exited Dumbledore's office, Severus turned to Harry. He was fairly shaking, barely holding back a flood of tears as he met Severus' gaze.

"Whatever is the matter?" Severus asked.

"I'm sorry!" Harry suddenly burst out.

"For what?" Severus was simply confused about what Harry thought he had done now.

"For getting Slytherin!" Harry began to cry into his hands, not seeking any comfort, Severus noticed. "I didn't mean to annoy you."

"But you didn't annoy me," Severus countered, taking a knee in front of Harry, since no one was there to see. "Why did you think I would be annoyed with you getting Slytherin? I'm very proud of you."

"Because you looked upset when you were talking to the man with the funny hat," Harry sobbed. "It was right after I got sorted. I thought you might not want to share your house."

"Harry, come here," Severus said, pulling Harry into an embrace.

"The Headmaster didn't seem happy either," Harry mumbled into Severus' robes.

"No, he probably wasn't," Severus agreed. "I think he was convinced you would be a Gryffindor and he was slightly disappointed." Well, very disappointed. Now he, Severus, would have a measure of authority over Harry by being his head of house. "But don't let that bother you. You're in a good house, and I will be able to help you more when you're in my house."

"Would my parents be disappointed?" he whispered.

"No," Severus said confidently, even if he thought James might have been. For the moment, James would get the benefit of the doubt. "They would be very, very proud of their only child. We're going back to my rooms." After releasing Harry, they began to walk through the castle until they got to their destination.

"Here, you've had a long day," Severus said, encouraging Harry up on their now regularly shared bed. "Take your shoes off, and get ready for bed."

"Yes, sir," Harry said, hastening to do as instructed.

"A few things I need to go over with you, Harry," Severus said, leaning against the wall as he watched Harry closely. "I watched you during the sorting, and I got the distinct impression you were uncomfortable with the crowd. I suppose that's to be expected. Am I correct?"

"Yes, sir," Harry muttered as he blushed. "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry." Blast, it looked like the boy was going to cry again. "I tried to be comfortable, but I've just never been around that many people. Not when they're all looking at me."

"I understand, Harry," Severus said, nodding, "but you were still very uncomfortable. In addition to your reading skills not being quite up to standard, and now being your head of house besides, I'm going to keep you from your regular classes until you're more prepared to take them on. This will include dealing with people, reading, and becoming more comfortable around magic. Is that acceptable?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said, his voice and face both blank.

"Harry, you do realize that you've made remarkable progress," Severus said. "Nothing about this has anything to do with something you failed to do. You're brilliant. It's just that no one can learn to read well enough for secondary school in a month. In less than a month, even. Do you understand me? You're not to blame for this!" Severus' voice became stern at the end.

"Yes, sir!" Harry agreed, slightly rattled at Severus' tone.

"I'm more to blame than you are," Severus said. "Don't carry around guilt that isn't yours."

"Maybe..." Harry hesitated, and then swallowed nervously.

"Maybe what?"

"Maybe you could take your own advice," Harry whispered, sucked in his breath, and braced himself for the blow he knew was going to come. "Sir." Severus paused as he considered what Harry had said.

"Under normal circumstances, I would not stand to be spoken to like that, as apparently you suspect," he said evenly, "but I do see your point. Don't mistake my failure here as being permission for you to do the same thing. I will not have you thinking that you aren't as good as the others because you're scared of crowds and can't read as well as you would otherwise. You're just as good, just as smart, and stronger than any other student out there." Harry nodded at him. So Severus continued. "I will still have to teach though, which will mean that you will be alone here for awhile each weekday. Of course Nitty will be here to look after you. If you ever have any problems, though, she can come get me from my classes."

"Yes, sir."

"You and Draco seem to be getting along?" Severus asked after a momentary pause.

"Yes, sir," Harry said, grinning shyly.

"Do you like him?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said.

"Will you please say something more than 'Yes, sir,'?" Severus sighed. "I won't bite you, you know."

"Well, Draco said that he could make any potions during the summer because his father wouldn't let him do something like that alone," Harry volunteered.

"Mr. Malfoy is a smart man," Severus said. "The only reason I let you do it is because I was standing right there."

"The Sorting Hat knew of me," Harry whispered. "It said it had been waiting 10 years to sort me."

"Yes, I can imagine," Severus said.

"It wanted to put me in Gryffindor," Harry continued. "It said I could have any of the houses. But it suggested Gryffindor."

"How did you get Slytherin then?" Severus asked. "You don't have to answer unless you want to," he continued hastily. "It isn't my place to ask what happens between any student and the Hat. Forgive me."

"It said that I was disappointed with Gryffindor, and wanted me to tell it what house I wanted," Harry said. "And so I said Slytherin."

"Even though it's the house of the snake?"

"Yes, sir," Harry said, climbing into bed and pulling the covers over himself.

"Why is that?"

"Because I wanted to stay with you, sir," Harry mumbled as he began to fall asleep on the pillow. Severus went over the bed and ran his fingers through Harry's black hair, watching it spring back into place.

"I'll be back shortly," Severus whispered into Harry's ear, although he doubted whether Harry was awake enough to understand.

.oO-Oo.

Making sure he had his cape billowing behind him, Severus burst into the Slytherin common room, and glared at the scene before him. Everyone of his Slytherins was still up, making a ruckus in the common room as they partook in every sort of tom foolery they could invent.

"There are strict rules regarding curfew," Severus began, addressing everyone. "And I expect them to be followed. Half of you should have been in bed an hour ago. Is that clear?"

A chorus of "Yes, sir," and "Yes, Professor," rang out through the now silent room.

"Good," Severus drawled, as his eyes darted through the crowd. He noticed Draco watching him closely. "Prefects, I expect you to see to it that curfew is followed, and if it is not, then you will report it to me immediately. You should know where my office and my rooms are. I trust that is also clear?"

"Yes, sir!" his two prefects responded.

"Mr. Malfoy," Severus then said. "Come with me." Draco followed Severus out of the common room into the hallway.

"You wished to speak with me, I presume?" Severus began, crossing his arms.

"Yes, sir," Draco said, trying to practice the new form of address any time he could now. It would be humiliating if he fell into his old forms in the middle of class. "Is Harry alright?"

"As well as can be expected, Draco," Severus said. "He will be fine, but I don't believe he will be attending classes any time soon. What I would like is for you to come and visit him in the evenings sometime. I will get back to you on this later. You would be willing?"

"Yes, sir," Draco said, nodding enthusiastically.

"I understand Harry isn't everything you thought him to be before you met," Severus said, smirking a bit.

"I thought he would be different, yes. I just don't know what to say to him sometimes. He gets scared, but there's nothing to be scared of. We were talking outside the Great Hall and Professor McGonnagall told us to shut up, and he looked like he was going to pass out."

"Well, you should have 'shut up' as you so eloquently put it," Severus said. "What did you tell Harry?"

"That there wasn't anything to be afraid of because nothing was going to happen to us," Draco shrugged. "My dad told me about how he was treated before."

"Yes, and that is something you will not carry around to the other students, is that clear?" Severus demanded. "That secret dies with you. If I hear anyone else talking about it, for the time being, I will know who is to blame."

"Yes, sir," Draco said.

"Good night, Draco," Severus said, giving a nod of his head, and leaving.

"Good night, Uncle Severus!" Draco called back.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3060