Those Who Grieve by The Lonely God With A Box
Summary: One sentence. That's all it takes to change the course of history, as Snape soon learns after an Occlumency lesson. 5th year AU.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Addicted!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer, 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Drug use, Neglect, Rape, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Those Who...
Chapters: 27 Completed: Yes Word count: 83621 Read: 197432 Published: 07 Jun 2014 Updated: 07 Jul 2014
Long Live the Dark Lord by The Lonely God With A Box

Severus had been teaching all morning, and was in his usual huffy mood when he came to the Great Hall for a much needed meal. He sat down tiredly and pinched the bridge of his nose as the house elves popped a plate of food at his spot.

"An owl arrived for you," Dumbledore said to Severus.

"Oh?" Severus replied.

"Yes, here's the letter," Dumbledore said handing the roll of parchment to Severus. "I don't believe our Defense teacher has read it. There seems to be some sort of a particularly strong charm on it, so that no one but you can read it."

"Why thank you, Albus," Severus said between bites of food. After wiping his fingers on his napkin, he opened the roll of parchment and began to read it.

Severus Snape,

We have your son. Meet us at Malfoy Manor before sunset or we promise he won't be nearly as safe as he is now.

The Dark Lord has fallen, long live the Dark Lord.

Severus' face paled several shades of white, which in itself was a terrible feat, seeing as he was always pale. He found he couldn't even process a coherent thought at the moment.

"Is something wrong, Severus?" Dumbledore asked quietly.

"Everything is...fine," Severus replied, though his tone belied his words. "I need to go, Headmaster. See to it my afternoon classes are canceled. I'm sure the students would be pleased."

"Severus, what's wrong?" Dumbledore replied, sounding rather alarmed.

"Just some business that needs to be taken care of," Severus replied, close to panicking himself. "Don't worry yourself about it."

"Severus!" Dumbledore tried for a third time. His spy looked at him, blinking. Something that Severus would never do. "I have a right to know!" Severus tossed the parchment on the table, and walked off as means of explanation.

After glancing over the brief contents of the letter, Dumbledore followed Severus out of the Great Hall.

"You can't go, Severus," Dumbledore called after him.

"I can and I will," Severus said, determined. "They're just using him to get to me. They know I'm a spy, Albus. I can run and save myself, and leave Harry, or I can make my death mean something. Albus, the boy has been through more than any living person should ever have to face. I can't abandon him." Severus pulled a cloak over his shoulders. "Let me do this."

"Severus," Albus pleaded. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am," Severus said. "I'll likely not come back. Thank you for everything. My regrets to the others."

"Good-bye, Severus," Dumbledore whispered as he pulled the younger man into an embrace. "You've always been like a son to me, and Harry a grandson. I can't choose between you. If you're sure." Severus quickly returned the older man's embrace and nodded, but his throat was too tight for him to want to trust his voice. And he didn't know what to say to that. So he nodded and turned without a further word.

.oO-Oo.

Severus knocked at the front door of Malfoy Manor. The wards were set to allow him in. He was, of course, a Death Eater still. He bore the Mark. His heart thumped hard enough in his chest, Severus feared that anyone could hear it. Scared didn't even begin to describe how he felt. He was terrified, but he wanted Harry safe more than he feared his comrades. The door swung open after a moment, and Lucius Malfoy stood there.

"Severus," he said coldly, "we've been expecting you."

"Lucius," Severus replied equally coldly, "let the boy go. I'm here, you have me."

"Come with me," Lucius instructed as he turned and gestured for Severus to walk in front. Lucius closed the door behind them.

"Where is Harry?" Severus inquired. "I want to see him."

"I'm taking you to him," Lucius said for explanation. Malfoy Manor was huge. By following instructions, Severus lead the way to its lower levels. After descending a flight of stairs, Severus heard a familiar noise. All dignity aside, and without a thought to his own safety, Severus rushed to where he heard Harry softly crying.

Severus found the boy huddled in the back corner of one of Lucius' holding cells. Harry was sobbing softly, not seeking attention, though Severus still heard it clearly.

"Harry," he said, kneeling next to the iron bars.

"I'm sorry!" Harry sobbed without looking up. "I'm sorry, I was stupid. It's too late. I just wanted to save Sirius."

"I don't understand a word of what you're saying," Severus said. "Let the boy go!"

"Are you kidding?" Lucius asked. "We never promised that. Potter is the Dark Lord's. We let Black go because he's of no value to us. Why should we have invested the effort into holding him once his purpose to us is done?"

"You wouldn't have gone to all this effort for me if there was nothing I had that you wanted," Severus growled, standing up to face Lucius. "What do you want?"

"We will bring the Dark Lord back," Lucius explained. "And we need you to make that happen." Severus looked uncertain for a moment. He looked at Harry's pitiful form in the corner. Harry had stopped crying, trying to listen.

"And if I help you, you'll let Harry go?" Severus asked.

"If you don't help, I can promise you we won't."

"Then why should I help you? The boy is yours either way. I may as well keep the Dark Lord dead." Lucius looked very annoyed. He pulled his wand lazily and flicked it in Harry's direction.

"Crucio," he intoned.

"No, no! Don't!" Severus began pleading. Harry screamed and writhed on the ground. Severus pulled his own wand and cast a shield around Harry, breaking the spell.

"Stop dragging Harry into this!" Severus demanded. "This is between the Death Eaters and me. It doesn't include him!"

"It does, now that you've adopted him," Lucius reminded him. "You wouldn't feel this strongly about him if it weren't for the adoption either. I do believe you opened yourself up for this, Severus. Take a few hours to think it over. You help us, and the Dark Lord gives Potter a quick, easy death, or you refuse, and we'll have our revenge on both of you." Lucius opened Harry's holding cell and motioned Severus inside, but not before muttering a disarming charm. "Can't have you with your wand, now, can we?" Lucius mocked. Then he turned and left. The moment he was gone, Harry came to life.

.oO-Oo.

"I'm sorry, sir, I'm so sorry!" Harry wailed, renewing his tears.

"Slow down," Snape instructed calmly, sitting beside the boy. "Start from the beginning. I'm gathering that the letter you got this morning was not from a girl at Beauxbatons?"

"No, sir, I'm sorry," Harry whimpered, calming down some. The mere presence of Snape with him produced a calming effect, even if he knew he had just killed them both.

"Then what was the letter?" Snape pressed.

"It was from them," Harry continued, still sniffling, "They had Sirius. They said they would let him go if I gave myself up."

"And you did, and they did," Snape concluded.

"Yes, sir, I'm sorry," he repeated.

"Why didn't you bring it to me?" Snape continued.

"Because - I didn't want you to worry," Harry said lamely.

"And I'm not worried now?" Snape snapped.

"I'm sorry," Harry repeated again burying his face in his hands. "I thought I could deal with it."

"You thought you could come out triumphant against a pack of Death Eaters? Are you insane?"

"No, I thought I could save Sirius."

"You did. What about after that?"

"I thought - I thought - "

"Did you think at all?"

"Yes, sir," Harry stammered. "They would have killed me. That's it."

"That's it?" Snape repeated. "That's it?"

"Yes, sir. The pain would stop. You wouldn't have to worry about me. And I wouldn't have been selfish." Harry pressed the palms of his hands to the sides of his head. "I'm sorry."

"Oh, Harry," Snape whispered as he put his arm around the boy. "I would have done everything in my power to save Black, if only for you." Harry nodded, but refused to look at Snape. He couldn't look at the man he'd condemned.

"I never meant this to happen," Harry muttered. "I wanted both of you safe."

"I know," Snape replied quietly as he gave Harry what he thought was a comforting squeeze.

"I just wanted my death to mean something," Harry continued. Snape paused.

"As did I," he murmured, still cradling Harry close.

.oO-Oo.

Severus grew quiet, unsure what to say or do. He had only a short period of time in order to determine what he was going to do. His options were as follows, he figured. Whatever it was the Death Eaters were planning, they seemed to need him, and to need his cooperation. Or at least they preferred him. It was possible that they could still go through with bringing the Dark Lord back without him.

So he could refuse to cooperate with the Death Eaters, and watch them slowly torture and kill Harry, followed by himself, not even ensuring that the Dark Lord wouldn't come back. If he could have that assurance, then maybe it would be worth it, two lives for the world. No matter how much it would tear him apart to see Harry mauled ruthlessly, he had to concede it would be two miserable lives, two lives so scarred from life that death would be welcome. But he couldn't have that assurance. He could go through with that plan only to still have all of England, all of the world, under the Dark Lord's rule, and both their deaths, all the suffering, would be meaningless.

His other option would be to cooperate, and simply bring the Dark Lord back, however that would work. Severus doubted that whatever the Death Eaters had planned wouldn't work. They wouldn't have gone to such great lengths to get him involved if there was a chance it wouldn't work. Like Lucius had said, the Dark Lord would at least give Harry an easy death. Severus knew he would simply become the Dark Lord's toy again, but he didn't see any other choice, not if the Dark Lord could be brought back even if he refused.

What was there anything to lose really? If his supposition was right, then either way would result in the Dark Lord's third rise to power. One way included more pain to Harry, and the other less. Severus didn't think there was much he could, not now.

He wished Harry had trusted him enough to tell him what was going on in the first place. Sure, he hadn't believed the boy when he'd told him about this girl in Beauxbatons, but he also hadn't thought it serious enough that he had to call the boy on the lie that moment. He had planned to address it later, maybe even the next day. Harry had been too peaceful about the lie for it to have been serious. Ah, but he should have known, Harry had already given him enough signs that he would welcome death with open arms. This was equally his fault as it was Harry's.

Harry was still leaning against him, as they sat together on the damp stone floor. They both had fallen silent long ago. As Severus craned his neck to look at the boy, he saw Harry had fallen asleep against him. He looked unhappy, yes, but not uncomfortable. Severus wasn't about to wake him. This might be the last time the two of them had any time alone, perhaps the last time Harry would be able to sleep peacefully. Severus didn't want their last moments together to be marred by Harry's fretting and apologizing, as he was sure the boy would do.

Suddenly Severus realized Lucius was calling his name. Apparently he also had begun to doze.

"Severus, your decision," Lucius demanded. His voice seemed loud in comparison to the silence they had had for hours. Harry stirred in his arms, but didn't wake, at least not yet.

"Shh," Severus cautioned, glancing at Harry. "What is your plan to bring the Dark Lord back?" That was the easiest way of determining both the viability of their plan, and how easily they could make it work without him.

"I assume you understand how a horcrux works?" Lucius began, quieter.

"Of course," Severus replied.

"The Dark Lord has several," he continued. Well, if Lucius expected a shocked reaction, he didn't get one. So he continued, "Nagini is one. We plan on transferring that part of his soul into someone."

"And why do you need me for this?"

"You seemed like the most logical choice," Lucius said casually. "That way, he doesn't lose any of his loyal followers."

"And you need my consent," Severus concluded, "which is why you've gone to these great lengths to convince me."

"Exactly," Lucius agreed. So they could choose another to take his place if he refused. As he thought, there would be no purpose in refusing, since either way the Dark Lord would come back. It came as a surprise to him though, that he would be the Dark Lord. Possession, basically. Was it any worse if the Dark Lord used him over someone else? The Dark Lord had already used him for years. Severus felt a deep sadness overtake him, knowing his life wouldn't end. He would be conscious, in some corner of his mind, aware of what was happening, what he was doing, what the Dark Lord was doing, yet unable to do anything about it.

Dumbledore was a smart man. He would be able to see the change immediately. There was no way Dumbledore would let the Dark Lord into the school. The students would be safe, at least as safe as they could be with the Dark Lord risen again.

"So, your decision?" Lucius asked again.

"Yes," Severus replied, almost too quiet for Lucius to hear, dejected, as he looked at Harry.

"Sorry, what did you say?" Lucius requested. Severus knew Lucius had heard and was simply taunting him.

"Yes," he growled, frustrated and angry. "I'll do what you want, just leave Harry be!" Severus felt his throat tighten and his eyes burn. He was terrified, to be honest with himself. The situation was out of his control, had been from the moment Harry had turned himself over.

"Then do let us begin," Lucius said, unlocking the door with a quiet click. Severus shook Harry gently to wake him. If he was going to be possessed, he wanted to see the boy awake one last time.

"Harry," he called softly. Lucius seemed to know what he was doing and wasn't stopping him. The man had a son himself, perhaps he was realizing how important this was.

"Hmm?" Harry replied still half asleep.

"Harry, I've agreed to work with them," Severus tried to explain. "To save you a long and painful death." Harry nodded, fully awake. "The Dark Lord will come back no matter what I choose. He will be taking over my body for his own."

"Alright," Harry said non-committally. Severus didn't think Harry fully understood the impact of his words.

"When you see me again, I won't be me," he explained, holding Harry's chin in place, forcing Harry to look at him so that he could see Harry's eyes, his green eyes, Lily's eyes. Harry nodded. "Oh, Harry," Severus said, pulling the boy close, as he pressed Harry's head near his own, so he could whisper in his ear, "I love you."

He'd never told Harry, and he knew it. He'd heard the boy declare that he didn't believe that he loved him. It was only fitting if his last sentence was to finally tell Harry this. Almost sharply, Severus released Harry and stood up. He felt that Harry had gripped his robes with all the strength the boy had. Severus supposed it was understandable that Harry didn't want to let him go. Without looking back, without waiting for the reply which he knew would only break his heart, he turned and stepped out of the holding cell, which Lucius closed behind him.

"Long live the Dark Lord," Lucius declared.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3061