Cherished by Roselina4389
Summary: '"Mmm," Harry copied him, a small smile forming on his lips. "Mmmm!" He said again insistently, as if expecting praise.'
After being rescued from the outrageous treatment of the Dursleys, Harry Potter is handed to Severus Snape and at first nothing good can be made out of this relationship. Babies can be quite a handful and Snape is NOT a tolerant man. Baby!Harry and lots of fluff.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Charity Burbage, Draco, Dumbledore, Lucius, McGonagall, Narcissa
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Canon, Family, Fluff, General, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Baby fic, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 51165 Read: 189718 Published: 23 Jun 2014 Updated: 13 Sep 2016
Chapter Twenty-Conflict by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
A/N: I tried to get this chapter out as soon as possible. I will be very busy for the next few days. I hope you enjoy it! I have drafted out an ending for this story...I'm sorry for the journey to end, but I can't keep writing. I may do oneshots in this universe but the series is coming to an end soon :(

DISCLAIMER: Don't own, never will.

 

 

The days flew by and suddenly it was the 29th of October-two days until Halloween. Snape didn't have a favourite holiday, but when he had been younger, Halloween had appealed to him.

But now that he was older, Snape knew that his least favourite holiday was indeed Halloween. Lily had died at the day, an year or so ago-therefore he planned to take special pains to not enjoy the day.

But Dumbledore, as usual, had other ideas.

It was evening and Snape and Harry were having what Snape called in his mind 'together time'. Snape refused to acknowledge that it was any time at all, but whenever he was free, he propped Harry upon his lap and they talked. And Snape finally understood that Harry really had become part of his life.

Snape was just talking to Harry, reading him a 'story' out of his Potions book, when Harry declared, "Wiggen, Nape!", pointing to a potion's picture, leaning on Snape's chest.

"Wiggenweld, Harry,"

"Yep! Haha!" Harry wiggled his eyebrows at the man. Nape must be so impressed.

A ghost of a smile swept through Snape's thin lips and he said, "I see you are paying attention to your lessons, Potter,"

"Mmm!" Harry turned around to snake his arms around Snape's neck and hug hard. Snape was taken aback, though he did not jerk away.

He sat stiffly, and after a while, his own arms circled around the small waist to hold Harry close. It felt so good. Snape had felt this way only once before: whenever Lily had been around...It was definitely love which he felt.

There was a sudden knock on the door. Snape, Harry still in his arms, went to open it. He had no idea where that gesture had come from. But Harry close to him made him feel faintly good.

Harry was leaning against his shoulder, looking at the door excitedly. He loved it when there was a knock at the door.

When Snape opened the door, it was a house elf.

"Yes?" Snape asked pointedly.

"'Fessor Dumbledore is calling for you, 'fessor Snape, sir! He is requesting that little Harry Potter is to come too, sir! He is calling you into the staff room, 'fessor Snape, sir!" The house elf squeaked.

"Right," Snape sighed. "Thank you. You may go." Harry reached out a chubby hand to the elf, but it smiled weakly and backed away.

"I wonder what he wants this time," Snape sighed to himself. Summons to the staff-room did not bode well with him.

"Mehh," Harry said softly. "Nape," he yawned. "Ni'..."

"I'm sorry, you'll just have to take your nap later," Snape said apologetically. He felt indignant at Dumbledore's timing. "Let's go see what he wants this time,"

Harry giggled. The man felt him burrowing deeper into his shoulder.

So Snape, with a weary heart, headed for the staff room.

XXXXX

When they reached the staff-room, Snape opened the door, holding his breath. The whole school staff were seated at their chairs, and Dumbledore faced them, arms spread wide open.

Snape suddenly felt very conscious of how he looked. His hair was messy-Harry was ooooing in his arms-and he was not properly attired for a staff meeting. In fact, he was in his casual robes.

"Ah, Severus! Glad you could come! Please sit down," Dumbledore smiled at him.

Snape found an empty seat next to Professor McGonagall. Charity was sitting in front of him and he felt suddenly awkward. He still remembered that informal kiss.

Harry buried himself into the folds of his robes.

"Nape," Harry whispered. "Nonono. Le's go!"

"Hush," Snape tried to comfort him. He sat him up,and encircled the baby with his arms. This seemed to soothe Harry for the moment because he didn't fuss further, much to Snape's relief.

Minerva looked at him enviously. "It surprises me that you of all people have him under your control."

Snape sneered. "I am capable of dealing with children, Minerva. They just need a firm hand, thats all,"

"Firm." Minerva repeated, gesturing towards the way Harry was cuddled up close to him, eyes shut.

Snape flushed. "It is to keep him quiet," he muttered, hurriedly removing his hand from Harry's head, where it was pressing down upon the locks.

Dumbledore clapped for attention and began to speak, elaborating and swirling his arms to emphasise points. "As you all know, Halloween is arriving soon and I have decided upon extravagant preparations! I will assign each staff member a responsibility in the Feast and celebrations, so that they can get into the Halloween spirit."

Snape groaned silently. The Headmaster was a twisted and annoying man.

In the end, Dumbledore assigned everyone duties.

Professor Flitwick had to charm objects to float.

Professor McGonagall was in charge of transfiguring armors around the school into jack-o-lanterns.

Professor Sinistra would help decorate the Great Hall.

Charity would carve pumpkins.

And so on...until only Snape was left. Dumbledore raised an eyebrow at him. "Well, Severus?"

"Er," Snape flushed, unsure what to say. "I think I am far too busy anyways-"

"No, no, Severus! That's unfair!" Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "I say, you can carve pumpkins with Charity too,"

No. Nononono. Snape looked at Dumbledore pleadingly. He couldn't work with Charity. Not after what she had done.

"Oooh, perfect!" Charity beamed.

Snape wanted to kill both of them. He tried to argue, but Harry began shuffling on his lap. The child turned around and smiled when he saw Charity.

"Chawwy," he said, smiling brightly. "Yoo play wiv me?"

Snape wanted to kill all three of them.

"Well, it's settled then!" Dumbledore smiled. "Thank you for coming, everyone. I will check on your progresses from time to time,"

XXXXX

"Isn't it great that we'll be working together, Severus?" Charity asked.

"Mm."

"I'm so excited."

"Mm."

"You know, I've always loved Halloween. You are going to the Feast, aren't you?"

"Mm."

"Yep, me too."

"Gagaga binella!" Harry chirped, trying to get into the conversation too.

"Harry is so sweet. May I hold him?" Charity asked.

"Mm...-wait, what? Oh, yes, here..."

Snape handed Harry to Charity. At first Harry frowned, legs kicking, but then he smiled. "Ooo," he fingered her blonde hair.

"Adorable!" Charity squealed.

XXXXX

Snape had his head in his arms as he sat facing a table. Filled with several orange pumpkins, ready to be carved.

Harry sat in the middle of the pile, playing.

"NAPE! LOOKIE!" Splat. The thrown pumpkin oozed on the sofa.

"Hehe! Go boom!" Harry grinned.

"Stop it at once," Snape glared. "Come here,"

"No!" Harry cried defiantly.

"Excuse me? I don't take 'no' for an answer."

"Bla bla, Nape!"

"What?"

Harry burst into a fit of laughter.

Snape was being driven mad. He plucked the boy up and headed for the child's bedroom. "You are obviously too hyper. You need a nap,"

"N-no," Harry looked as if he may start to cry. "Wann' be wiv Nape. Wann' be wiv Nape."

"You can after your nap."

"Noo!" Harry sobbed.

"Please, Harry," Snape had never begged anyone like this before (except maybe when he had asked Voldemort to spare Lily). "Let me carve some of these pumpkins in peace. If you are a good boy, I will play with you."

"Play?" Harry looked thoughtful.

"Yes, with the blocks, alright?"

"Mmm...'Kay!" Harry grinned. He rested his head on Snape's shoulder. "Love Nape!"

"I-" Snape suddenly stopped himself, freezing in his tracks. He had just been about to answer that he loved him too.

XXXXX

"Who's a little angel? You are! Who's a little angel? You are!"

Harry shrieked and laughed shrilly, clapping his hands.

"Who's a big boy?-you are!"

Harry squealed.

Snape wanted to hex the woman into next week and gag Harry. What kind of consideration was this? Here he was, checking essays and carving eyes on pumpkins on one side of the room, and there was Minerva, playing revolting games with Harry on the other.

He heard Harry laugh loudly.

"Yes you are, yes you are, Harry!"

Snape stood up angrily and strode to the sofa, Harry staring up at the woman and looking very excited.

"Ahem!" Snape glared. "May I ask what monstrosity is going on over here?"

"Oh, I was just playing with Harry. He needs this. I doubt you'd ever do such a thing," The gall of the woman! "He is going to grow up rather dull if he keeps staying with you. But I must admit, he looks much better than when I saw him at his horrible relatives. Isn't that right, Harry? You're a big boy-"

"I refuse to let you play such disturbing games with him," Snape snatched Harry up, much to the boy's annoyance. "He will now study his lessons like he always does at this time."

"Lessons?" Minerva looked indignant and suspicious.

"Yes, I am teaching him to grow up to be a good Potions-brewer. He watches me brew my potions and he is learning about the different ingredients-"

"Severus, unless you are quite blind, Harry is just two!-"

"So? No age is too early for-" he was cut short, however, when Minerva snatched Harry back and began soothing him as if Snape had been hurting him. "Now, now, Harry. Pay no attention to him. Do you want to play with this doll? Yes?"

"Yes!" Harry was getting over-excited.

Before Snape could retort, his temper rising, a knock sounded at the door.

Shooting an unpleasant glare at Minerva and Harry, Snape walked to the door, wondering who it could be.

To his horror, it was Charity.

This day was just getting worse and worse.

"I'm not in at a bad time, am I?" Charity asked, looking in apprehension at his horror-struck face.

"Uh, no. Come in." Snape looked very tired.

"Thanks. I was thinking if you wanted to work together and...and talk."

"If you want,"

"Okay," Charity said brightly. She tried to come inside.

"Sorry-" Snape moved aside to let her pass.

He led her, rather uncomfortably, to the sitting room, where Minerva and Harry were listening to the commotion curiously.

The Professor stood up and smiled in a tight sort of way. "Good evening, Charity."

"Same to you, Professor," Charity said.

Harry waved at her, still grinning. "Chawwy! Yoo play wiv me? We haf fun!" Harry used the same sentence he had used with Snape some days ago.

"Of course I will, darling," Charity said.

Minerva, who was still holding Harry, handed him over to Snape. "I must get going then. Just came to check on Harry. Goodbye Severus...Charity," she gave Snape what looked like a disapproving look.

Snape didn't like it at all. It wasn't as if he had invited her. Minerva really needed to stop acting so arrogant.

Charity and Snape proceeded to carve pumpkins together, and Harry played under the table with a toy hammer.

"I'm not too pushy am I?" Charity asked, biting her bottom lip in a worried sort of way.

"Don't be ridiculous." Snape replied nonchalantly.

Charity smiled. There was something like adoration in her eyes.

XXXXX

She was pushy. She sat much too close to him. She always wanted him near. It wasn't right.

Snape glowered. There was nothing attractive about him, was there? Then how come Charity liked him?

Harry had just been bathed and was oohing down at his red T-shirt and black shorts, kicking his chubby legs. He suddenly leaned out of his crib and saw his Nape sitting on the black leather seat, looking quite 'set.

That made Harry very sad. "No be 'set Nape!" He pouted. "Nape play?" He generously held out the stuffed cat.

"No thank you, Harry. I doubt that will cheer me," Snape said dryly. He got up and scooped Harry up from the crib. Then he settled down on the leather chair, seating the boy in front of him, holding both of the chubby hands together in his own.

"I'm always going to love your mother," Snape said, more to himself than to Harry. "Always. And Charity won't change that,"

"No, no Chawwy!" Harry beamed.

"Yes. She won't change anything," Snape promised. This settled, he suddenly asked. "Do you want to do an activity before you go to sleep?"

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3067