Abandoned by Roselina4389
Summary: When Severus finds out that one-year old Harry Potter has been shipped off to an orphanage by his relatives, it angers him. Who would have thought that he would actually adopt the baby? But Snape is only doing it for Lily. Will he ever love Harry for who he is, despite the dark history? As grudges and hatred surface, Severus tries to find good in little Harry. Baby!fic. Dark.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape's a Bully, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Canon, Fluff, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Baby fic, Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Abandoned
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 22719 Read: 76466 Published: 06 Jul 2014 Updated: 07 Feb 2015
Prologue by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: Um, this plot bunny had been haunting my mind for a while now so here's my work-Hope you enjoy it. I got inspired by a story called "A Harry and A Daddy" in which Snape rescues Harry from the abusing Dursleys. Though I have a different plot (something about an orphanage), I liked the idea that Snape did something without any prompting from Dumbledore.

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, all rights go to J. K. Rowling.

 

"How can that be?" Dumbledore demanded. "Are you quite sure, Minerva?"

"I'm afraid I'm quite certain, Headmaster. When I went to check on little Harry Potter, to, you know, see if he's settled in fine and all, like you asked, he wasn't even there! I interrogated the Muggles and all they told me was that they couldn't bother with 'our' problems and had shipped the baby off to an orphanage!" Professor McGonagall stated. "I had a right mind to deal with them right that moment but I had to alert you with the present circumstances immediately."

"I can't believe it," Dumbledore looked shocked. "I thought Petunia would have understood,"

"What do you suppose we do, Dumbledore? I had told you that night that I didn't approve of the settlement, myself. I had a feeling something disagreeable as such would occur soon,"

"Well, first we must go check on the boy. Bring him here. Alas, poor child-the mere age of one and so many losses..."

"But Dumbledore," McGonagall said in a hard voice. "We cannot just take the child from the Orphanage like that. We have to adopt him or the Muggle authorities will not allow us to-"

"I understand," Dumbledore's face grew older, more tired. He paused. "Minerva, please notify Severus to come up here for a moment."

"Why are you bringing him into the mix, Dumbledore?" McGonagall demanded, suddenly anxious.

"Don't worry, Minerva. I just think it will be good to inform him with all that has happened."

"Are you quite sure of that?" McGonagall was sceptic. Snape had just joined the school staff, and she didn't quite trust him yet. All Dumbledore had told her was that Severus Snape was a reformed person and that he had an excellent reason to trust the man. But calling him in a situation like this...?

"Quite sure," Dumbledore said, firmly.

McGonagall pursed her lips disapprovingly, and went to call the Potions Master.

X-ABANDONED-X

It had only been a few days after Lily's death, the death of his love... And Dumbledore had implored him to take up the Potions Master post after Slughorn had resigned from grief. It had been an inhumane thing to do. Lily had just died and he had no patience to deal with incompetent children.

After McGonagall called Severus Snape, the man followed her lead into the Headmaster's office.

He had been irritable and impatient, unsure of what had arisen this time.

When he had reached the office and was seated, Snape had had to listen to a mournful Dumbledore explaining the circumstances.

Apparently the Potter brat had been dumped in an orphanage by his dear, loving relatives and was in constant danger because of the blood wards and all of that nonsense. Snape was only worried about the fact that Lily wouldn't have sacrificed herself for her only child just so that he could stay at an orphanage.

"So, what do you suggest we do?" Snape asked, trying to get to the point. "Could you not take him?"

"I cannot father the boy, Severus. I am too old. Besides, with all the work and responsibilites I have, I will only neglect him." Dumbledore said.

Minerva sighed, "And I am too busy-though I could raise him as a favour to James and Lily if needed..." She shot a glance at Dumbledore, half-apologetic, half-anxious.

"No pressure, Minerva," Dumbledore said, kindly. "Before we decide about this, it will be wise to check on the boy." Dumbledore shot a look at Snape, unsure whether the man could or would take the responsibility of looking after Harry. There were too many grudges and hard feelings at the moment.

"Will you accompany us, Severus?" Dumbledore asked.

Snape growled inwardly. Well, why not? He was to be dragged into all this eventually.

"I suppose," Snape sighed. Just to check on him...for Lily's sake.

"Then go, Severus," Dumbledore smiled. "Let's see what you make of him,"

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3075