Abandoned by Roselina4389
Summary: When Severus finds out that one-year old Harry Potter has been shipped off to an orphanage by his relatives, it angers him. Who would have thought that he would actually adopt the baby? But Snape is only doing it for Lily. Will he ever love Harry for who he is, despite the dark history? As grudges and hatred surface, Severus tries to find good in little Harry. Baby!fic. Dark.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape's a Bully, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Cruel, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Canon, Fluff, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Baby fic, Child fic, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: Abandoned
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 22719 Read: 76471 Published: 06 Jul 2014 Updated: 07 Feb 2015
Chapter Three by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: Sorry for the wait. Enjoy and tell me what you think in the reviews! Warning for all the angst in this chapter. Snape is slightly crazed in the mind with the hatred associated with James Potter. But, as I said last time, he is conflicted and it's not going to last forever. I've posted a new story called The Light In The Darkness. Check it out when you've got time. Enjoy the chapter.

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter, all rights go to J. K. Rowling.

 

 

Snape sat Harry down on the living room rug. He sat down beside him, handing him the serpent stuffed toy.

The baby stared at it. And then up at Snape.

"Well?" Snape felt impatient. "Play, then. Isn't that what Dumbledore said you'd do?"

Harry looked startled as he picked up the serpent. "Ooo?" He prodded it with a finger.

Snape felt rather disappointed. He had gone to a Muggle store for God's sake. Just to see this brat mope around even more?

"You are definitely your father all over again," Snape growled.

Harry suddenly looked at a small toy in the man's hand and pointed at it. "Oooo,"

Snape looked at his hand and saw the small stuffed owl toy. He raised an eye-brow. "Want this, Potter?"

Harry smiled and pointed at it again. Therefore Snape handed it to him.

Harry squealed. "Birdie!" He acknowledged, laughing at the owl. "Birdie!"

"That is an owl, Potter,"

"No, no, birdie!" Harry corrected and hugged the toy to his face.

Snape felt relieved. Even though the serpent had obviously been a flop, at least he had gotten one toy right.

"I've got a rattle for you." Snape said, in a flat voice. "Why don't you play here and let me work in peace for the rest of the day?"

Harry dragged the owl on the floor, as if it was a car. He seemed to be enjoying a little.

Snape got up and went out of the room. Even though he kept denying it, Potter could be very well adorable sometimes.

XXXXX

"So! What does he call you?" Dumbledore asked, when he came to give Snape a book of parenting and some more toys for Harry, later that day. It had been just before dinner and Snape had been surprised at the sudden knock on his door. When he had opened the door, he had seen the Headmaster, holding two bags of provisions-for Harry.

"Nothing," Snape said dully, as he flipped through the pages. He stopped at a flimsy little article about dietary habits.

Dumbledore, for the second time that day, looked confused. "What do you want him to call you, then?"

"Sir." Snape said, absent-mindedly.

"Be practical, Severus. He cannot call you sir all the time. He is but a baby,"

"Professor, then."

"Dad?"

Snape shot Dumbledore a dangerous look. "Headmaster, please refrain from presenting your peculiar notions about our relationship. I am not his father. It is just a title. It will not be encouraged upon,"

Dumbledore looked stern. "He should at least call you by your given name."

"You want Potter to call me 'Severus'?" Snape snorted, as he now examined a page about children's habits as they grew up. Something about throwing tantrums and time-outs. Snape shuddered inwardly.

Dumbledore and Snape were standing in the kitchen at the moment. It was brightly lit with a hot meal cooking on the old stove. Despite the grimy condition of the room, a wonderful smell filled the air.

"Why not? If you refuse to let him call you dad, he should at least call you by your name. Why don't we go to him, Severus?"

"As you wish, Headmaster." Snape rolled his eyes and lead Dumbledore to the living room, where they saw Harry banging his rattle on the carpet, looking rather cross.

"Insolent boy! Stop that!" Snape scooped Harry up and snatched away the rattle. "You are not going to play with this any longer. See Dumbledore, toys make children spoilt,"

Dumbledore heaved a sigh. "Severus, please don't be so harsh. Well, come on. Seat him on the sofa. Let's see what he calls you,"

"This is a waste of time," Snape remarked but he obeyed and sat down on the sofa, seating Harry in front of him. Harry flopped down on his back, and lay his head on Snape's lap as he looked up at Dumbledore.

Snape attempted to push the boy away, with a hiss of annoyance, but Dumbledore said sternly, "Severus! Stop being so cold. Harry is just a baby,"

"He is just an insolent brat who does not listen."

"Come here, Harry," Dumbledore ignored Snape.

Harry looked frightened and confused. "Papapadeee." He mumbled, shifting backwards.

"Nothing to be scared of. Come here," Dumbledore tried to reach out for him but Harry gave a squeal and buried his face in the sofa.

Dumbledore picked him up gently and Harry cried out, "Mmm no! No!"

He quietened down a bit when Dumbledore held him close and began to talk to him. "Just like his mother-those eyes could be Lily's own."

Snape looked bitter and he didn't answer.

Harry kicked his little legs anxiously and held out a chubby hand towards his adoptive father, "Mmm!"

"You want to go to your father, Harry? Papa Severus?"

Snape glared at the Headmaster, dangerously, "Dumbledore!"

"Papapa," Harry agreed, looking distraught when the tall, dark-haired man did not pick him up and hold him close.

"Severus," Dumbledore looked merry. He handed Harry to Snape, who reluctantly held him.

"Evvr," Harry repeated after Dumbledore, patting Snape's cheek curiously. "Evvr?"

"I refuse to let this boy call me 'Evvr' or whatever the infernal boy just uttered. If he cannot pronounce well, I prefer him to say nothing at all." Snape said, sharply.

Harry winced at the tone and tears pooled in his eyes. "Mmm," he whispered.

"Severus, please," Dumbledore looked tired.

Snape looked raw, bitter, suddenly ugly. He jostled Harry back and forth, his method of rocking, and sighed when Harry suddenly began wailing loudly.

"I've had enough," Snape ground out. He got up, Harry clinging to him and wailing, and went inside the boy's room. He put Harry in his crib and walked outside, closing the door.

The boy raised his arms pleadingly at the closed door, crying louder. No, he didn't want to be left alone!

"It's a punishment," Snape said, when Dumbledore looked anxious and angry. "He shouldn't behave like that. I don't care what you say, he needs discipline and I am willing to give it."

"Severus! You are being ignorant and dwelling on past memories-"

"Thank you Headmaster, have a good day,"

XXXXX

"Dadadada," Harry sobbed when Snape carried him to the kitchen. "Nononono!"

"Be. Quiet. Silence yourself now or I will smack you!" Snape roared.

Harry sobbed louder, shaking uncontrollably.

Snape froze in his tracks and shook Harry. "Shut up. Be quiet! That's enough!"

Harry gasped for breath and ended up having a coughing fit. Snape sighed and patted his back with a little too much force. His face was screwed up with hatred. Harry leaned against his chest and hiccuped, utterly miserable.

The baby sniffled silently as Snape continued the journey towards the kitchen. The nice smell hit Harry's nostrils at once and he was curious. He looked up, tears still dripping off his cheeks. "Ooo?"

Snape put him in the high chair and went to the pot. He filled out a bowl of stew and warm bread for himself. He opened the oven and took out some more bread and a few baked potatoes. Taking a small bowl, he mashed the potatoes and took it over to Harry.

"Eat," he gave Harry the bowl of mashed potatoes, some bread and milk. "Do not waste any or you'll be spending the rest of the day locked in your room,"

Harry chewed slowly. He abandoned the spoon and ate with his fingers, and when he reached for his sippy cup for a drink, he splattered the whole of it with sticky mash. It was untidy and Snape didn't like it. But he tried his best to see less and less of the boy and concentrated on his stew.

After he was done, Snape went to wash up. He saw the bowl of mash half-empty, the sippy cup fully empty and the bread only nibbled. He washed up the plates and as he did, Harry looked happy and content, oohing at him and clapping him hands appreciatively.

His mum and dad used to wash things too in the sink. Harry reached out his hands. He'd have liked to splash around in there, but Snape didn't carry him over. The man just left him sitting on the high seat. When Snape was done, he carried Harry to the living room to check out what Dumbledore had brought him.

The Headmaster had left a while ago, fed up. Snape regretted angering him but he didn't care too much. Harry was his responsibility now. He knew how to treat him and how not to.

Snape shuffled through the bag and took out a 'Lego' set. Whatever that was. The blocks were the Duplo version, large and chunky. Snape disapproved. Harry reached for the box, nearly falling, rather enthusiastic.

"I don't think so," Snape sneered. "You are but a baby, as Dumbledore keeps saying."

Harry looked distraught. Snape then took out what looked like a teddy bear. He looked disgusted. He rifled through the bag some more. There were a few equipment and then Snape found a colourful rainbow blanket. Harry gasped and tried to snatch it.

Snape allowed him to hold it and Harry wrapped it around himself, squealing excitedly. "Ooo! Pwetty!"

Snape rolled his eyes.

When the man carried the baby to bed, Harry stared at his face. He looked thoughtful. Then Harry said. "Evvr?"

"Severus," Snape glowered. "Thought I don't prefer you call me that,"

"Evvr's," Harry said. "Evvu!" He seemed to like this nickname because he kept chanting it, a mischievous grin on his face. "Evvu Evvu Evvu Evvu!"

Snape glared and said sharply, "Insolent boy-that's enough!"

Harry fell quiet at once, mouth open. He shut it, sulkily.

Snape dumped him inside the crib and heard sudden whimpering. "Baba..." Harry whispered. "Evvu!"

Snape sighed and closed the door.

XXXXX

Snape could hear shouts, he could hear screams. He didn't understand them fully.

He lay still for a moment, confused. The screams came again-the man suddenly realized that they were Harry's.

Scowling, he decided to leave the baby be. But after the shouts increased, he was forced to go and check the scene.

When he entered Harry's room the baby was sobbing and flailing in his new rainbow blanket. Tears were dripping from his eyes and he was yelling, "Mama! MAMA!"

Snape picked him and held him close for a second. "Hush, Potter. Hush! Quiet, now! Did you have a nightmare?"

Harry sobbed and sobbed, his shoulders shaking. He had just had the dream-the dream with all the green light and the scary man and his mummy dying with a scream.

He could feel 'Evvu' cradle him, whisper to him harshly.

"N-no..." He cried, brokenly. "Mama..."

Snape sighed. Lily...Oh, Lily.

For a second, he and Harry shared the same grief-for Lily Potter. And then Snape came back to his senses.

Snape went to his bedroom and sat on the bed, holding Harry. "That's enough...Wouldn't you rather sleep, Potter?...Sssh...You're safe now." He said after pauses, rocking Harry.

"Ev-v-uuu!" Harry choked out in reply.

In a while, Harry calmed down-but he didn't let go of Snape. He kept shivering and clinging to the black robes. Snape was annoyed. It was a favour enough that he was comforting the brat, but he didn't want the boy to take liberties with him.

In the end, he was forced to cradle him to sleep and then lay him down on his bed, far away from his pillow. Snape made quick little magical boundaries so that Harry would not fall off and then retreated to the other side of the bed. Exhausted, he fell asleep at once. Being a caretaker was one of the hardest jobs of all, Snape confirmed in his head.

The both of them fell asleep in the now quiet room. Harry was wrapped up in a blanket and he slept on the second pillow on the bed. The baby curled himself into a ball and hugged the pillow, whimpering in his sleep.

XXXXX

In the morning Snape did not expect the baby to be sleeping closer to him than he had been last night, his little hand holding his sleeve.

He scowled and pulled away. Then he got up and went into the kitchen to make breakfast, leaving Harry sleeping on the bed.

A little while later, he heard soft cries from his bedroom. Harry was obviously awake.

Muttering under his breath, Snape entered his room and saw Harry lying on his back and kicking his legs free of the blanket.

"Uhhh," Harry looked confused that he was sleeping here, instead of in his cot.

"Evvu!" He cried suddenly when he saw the man, raising his arms expectantly.

"Do not refer to me with that infernal nickname of yours."

"Nono! Evvu! Want Evvu!"

Snape scowled again as he picked the baby up and felt it throwing it's little arms around his neck.

"You will not be sleeping here again," Snape said, sternly. "And if you dare wail in the middle of the night again I will Silencio you." That was an empty threat but Snape felt a little better saying it. He hated how the stupid boy was growing closer to him. How could Harry trust him enough to sob into his arms all night? Argh. It couldn't continue. It wouldn't.

"Binef...Ga ga ga," Harry smiled. "Evvu! Oo! Haha! Evvvrrrrr!" Spittle flew from his lips and flecked Snape's robes.

"Insolent boy..." Snape growled, but Harry only giggled.

Snape took Harry to his room and set him down on the mat, giving him the serpent.

Harry poked it a bit and even held it close and snuffled his head into it, but then he looked pointedly at the Lego set-which could be seen sitting in the open wardrobe into the wall.

"Ooo?" Harry asked, crawling towards it. He had only crawled a few inches before Snape pulled him back.

"No. You are too little,"

"Peease." Harry looked at the man pleadingly. "Evvuuuu...Nuhnuhnuh!"

Snape hardened himself.

Tears started in the green orbs and Lily's eyes stared back at him, blinking the tears down the pale cheeks.

Spoilt brat.

Lip wobbling, Harry opened his mouth dismally. "Falafentire," he whispered.

He gazed sadly at the floor, head resting on his little chest.

That did it. Snape was suddenly accioing the Lego box towards himself and was suddenly opening it.

"Muggle toys," he sneered, ripping off the plastic and examining the blocks.

"EEEP!" Harry looked excited. He thrashed around the blocks, giggling fervently.

"Yes, you play here all day here while I go and work." Snape said, bitterly. He cursed himself for succumbing into the boy's dramatics.

Harry's cheeks were flushed. One chubby hand clasped a block and the other hand held a cardboard piece. He was swinging his legs, bouncing up and down on the carpet.

"Pway!" Harry encouraged his adoptive father, grinning. Snape left without a word, however. Harry was disappointed for a second. Then he cheered up and began throwing blocks around the room and playing with them.

XXXXX

"Take that out of your mouth!"

"Ufff..." Harry plucked out a block from his mouth and he frowned in disapproval at the man.

"Stupid child, I knew you couldn't be trusted," Snape growled, snatching away the block. "No more toys for you. If you're going to put everything in your mouth I shan't give you anything."

Harry frowned, not understanding. "Eh!" He suddenly said shrilly, holding up his chubby arms in front of Snape.

"What?"

Harry frowned and wiggled his out-stretched arms. This man could be very silly sometimes. Didn't Evvu know he wanted to be held?

"What is wrong with you," Snape felt annoyed.

And then he suddenly got it. How dare this boy take liberties with him!

Snape glared at him sharply, meaning to get up.

Harry whined and baby-talked and crawled up to Snape. He tried to climb onto his lap. "Papa!" He declared.

"I am not your father!"

Harry winced at the noise and looked up, frightened. "Papa?"

"That's it," Snape picked him up roughly, arms under the baby's armpits. He put him in the cot and made to leave.

Harry began crying silently, unsure what he had done. "No! Papa!"

Snape slammed the door with considerable force.

Harry didn't get it. This man took care of him. And he liked this man, he really did. But then why did this man get so angry? As if he hated him...as if he didnt want him.

What little Harry didn't know was that it wasn't an 'as if' matter. Snape did hate him... And he didn't really want him.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3075