The Blood of the Covenant by The Lonely God With A Box
Summary: "How much do you hate me?" Harry asked Snape. "Infinitely," Snape sneered at him. "How much do you hate Sirius?" "Also, infinitely." "It's commonly understood that there are greater and lesser infinities. Whose infinity is greater?"
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Rape, Self-harm, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 52093 Read: 171605 Published: 09 Jul 2014 Updated: 02 Feb 2015
To Have Loved and Lost by The Lonely God With A Box

Severus carried Harry through the floo and back to his chambers. Wordlessly, Severus laid Harry out on the couch. Harry turned and moaned softly. Severus left the room, but returned momentarily, carrying two vials.

"Harry, this is a stomach calming potion," Severus said quietly, handing him one of the bottles. "The Prussian blue will make you sick to your stomach, and you may feel the need to vomit. If you do, the bathroom is just down the hallway to the right. If you can't make it in time, don't be concerned. I can clean it up later."

"Are you going back to Voldemort?" Harry asked sadly, as his dull eyes watch Severus.

"Not immediately," Severus replied. "I need to see to your safety first. This potion is a sleeping potion. It should also help with the effects of the nausea. Please take them both."

"Can't we run away?" Harry asked. "Voldemort won't look for you until the day is gone."

"He can track me, if he's determined," Severus explained, gesturing to his left forearm. "Running away would be worse than useless. I am content that I was able to convince him to give you the Prussian blue."

"Is there nothing I can do?" Harry sighed, exhaustion apparent on his features.

"No, Harry," Severus said, shaking his head sadly. "I've made my deal with the devil and now I'm going to have to pay the price."

"You won't leave without saying good-bye, will you?" Harry questioned, almost panicking.

"Don't worry about it, Harry," Severus assured him. Severus ran his fingers through Harry's long, straight hair, and his thumb affectionately caressed Harry's temple. Harry closed his eyes and took a long, shuddering breath. Severus held the potions to Harry's mouth and the boy drank them unquestioningly.

"Please don't leave me," Harry murmured, leaning into the touch. There had been precious few times Severus had ever done anything sentimental, and Harry was going to take full advantage of it when he did.

"Everything will work out," Severus whispered, leaning close and kissing Harry on the forehead. Harry sighed contentedly, and closed his eyes, falling into a deep sleep. Severus stood and watched Harry sleep, peacefully, for a moment. Then, abruptly, he turned on his heel and stalked to Minerva's office.


He knocked on the door and Minerva opened up to him.

"Twice in 24 hours," she commented idly, only noticing Severus' grave expression after she had finished speaking.

"Yes, Minerva," he acknowledged. "If I may come in and speak with you?"

"Of course," she agreed, and they took up the same seats where they had sat the previous night. "Would you like any tea? I can have Dobby bring it for you."

"No, thank you," Severus declined. "I'm not here on a social call."

"Then do tell me what's on your mind."

"Last night," Severus began and paused for a moment, "you told me you had a son."

"Yes," Minerva affirmed.

"I know who he is." She looked at him expectantly. "Do you wish to know his name?"

"Will I be proud of him?" she whispered.

"I don't know," Severus admitted. They were silent for several minutes.

"Alright," she finally said. "Who is he?" She held Severus' gaze with her own unwavering one. He swallowed nervously, now wishing he could keep the secret. What if she was disappointed in him?

"I am," Severus admitted, looking away, not willing to witness any disapproval that might cross her face. The room was deathly quiet. Then he felt a hand on his shoulder, and he looked up. Minerva was smiling down at him.

"I am proud of him," she said. "Severus, I - I don't know what to say." She seemed genuinely pleased. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you growing up. I wish I could have seen you first learn to walk, or say your first words, or see what your first accidental magic was."

"It's alright," Severus said, and Minerva took her seat again. "You did what you thought was best at the time, and I can't fault you for that. There are certainly worse fates that could have befallen me, routes you didn't take, and for that I am grateful."

"As am I," Minerva smiled. "Apparently my blood was enough to dilute Riddle blood, then."

"To a degree," Severus agreed, returning her smile weakly. Then his expression grew distant again. "Earlier today, Harry and I discovered that Albus had poisoned both of us by having the house elves put thallium grindings in our clothes."

"Why aren't you in the infirmary?" Minerva gasped.

"Harry and I did go there, and Albus was effectively withholding the antidote," Severus explained. "Minerva, I did the only thing I could think of. I got the antidote from Tom Riddle. That was how I found out. He knew all along."

"At what cost?" Minerva asked skeptically. "What did you have to do to get the antidote? What have you done, Severus?"

"I'm sorry, Minerva," he apologized, casting his gaze on the floor. "I need you to look after Harry. He's your grandchild, and he needs an adult to protect him. There are too many people who want him dead for him to be able to look out for himself. He's not safe here at Hogwarts. You'll have to pull him from the school and look after him elsewhere."

"Severus, what have you done?" Severus was silent a moment.

"Watch Harry. Watch him closely. Make sure he doesn't do anything…foolish. He has some bad habits, and I need you to make sure they're broken. We've already spoken of such things at great length, but old habits die hard."

"What in heaven's name have you done, Severus?"

"I agreed to take an unbreakable vow of servitude. The Dark Lord agreed to let me have a few more hours of freedom to speak with you and see to arrangements for Harry." No one spoke for a moment, but it felt like an eternity for Severus. "I'm sorry - mother." The word felt strange in his mouth. "I understand if you wish to take your approval from my person. It was what I had to do to save Harry, and I beg you not to let any anger you have towards me cloud your mind towards him. He's not like his father, not at all." Severus pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Where is Harry now?"

"Asleep in my chambers. I gave him stomach calming and sleeping potions before I came here." The air was heavy. "Will you keep him safe?"

"Of course, Severus," she agreed quietly.

"Thank you. That is all I could ask." He rose and stepped towards the door, not looking at Minerva. She stepped in front of him and he stopped, feeling like a child again as he dared to look at her.

"Do not leave thinking I'm not proud of you," she admonished. "You're doing what you think is best at the time, and I can't fault you for that."

"Minerva," he said thickly. "The next time you see me, please promise me one thing."

"What is that?"

"That you'll kill me." Severus seemed paler than usual.


Harry gasped when he woke and realized just how sick he felt. Remembering Snape's instructions, he rushed to the bathroom, where he proceeded to empty his stomach of bile and acid. After drinking a swallow of water to clear his throat, he returned to the couch. It was then he noticed a piece of paper sitting on the arm. His heart beat became prominent in his ears and his stomach felt knotted, but not from the Prussian blue. Warily, he reached for the parchment. There was familiar spidery handwriting on it.

Dear Harry,

Forgive me for not waking you. I'm sorry things have worked out this way, that not even a week after finding out that you are my son, I am forced to leave you. I couldn't bear to say goodbye in person. It would have broken me.

You heard what the Dark Lord said this afternoon, and you know what it means. You are his grandchild. There is a chance he will be less anxious to kill you, knowing that. There is a chance it will not change a thing. Either way, you are still his grandson. You are the Heir of Slytherin. You have proven yourself to be honorable and ethical, despite your heritage. Stay that way.

Minerva is your grandmother. I have spoken to her about this, and she has agreed to look after you and protect you. Between her blood and Lily's, you don't have to worry about Riddle blood contaminating you. You're stronger than that.

Harry, I hope that you never feel inclined to hurt yourself again. If you do, though, Minerva will understand. You can confide in her. If there is one thing I ask of you, it is that you trust and rely on her.

Please don't be angry with me. I am not doing this out of any desire to do it for its own sake. I wish I could look after you, teach you potions so that you would truly appreciate their beauty, and see you married and happy, having children of your own. As it is, I cannot.

I've never gotten a chance to talk to you about your dream in the dungeons, the one you said wasn't a big deal, the one that actually is a big deal. You remember the dream of which I write. Whatever caused such a dream, I can only guess. I regret that I hadn't earned enough of your trust yet for you to tell me.

Do not believe any of the lies your relatives have told you. Do not believe the lies I have told you. Think well of yourself.

Ah, but now I'm rambling, stalling. I'm scared, Harry. I'm scared of what he'll make me do. I won't be able to say no. I'm not a good man, but I'm not a vile one either. I'm confident he'll force me to do vile things. I'm so scared. Delaying won't benefit me. I might as well get it overwith.

Goodbye, Harry.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3080