The Blood of the Covenant by The Lonely God With A Box
Summary: "How much do you hate me?" Harry asked Snape. "Infinitely," Snape sneered at him. "How much do you hate Sirius?" "Also, infinitely." "It's commonly understood that there are greater and lesser infinities. Whose infinity is greater?"
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Rape, Self-harm, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: Yes Word count: 52093 Read: 171607 Published: 09 Jul 2014 Updated: 02 Feb 2015
Survival of the Fittest by The Lonely God With A Box

Severus stepped back into the room where he had first made the deal with the Dark Lord. He felt his heart rate quicken and all his senses seemed to be on the alert, yet he was still startled when a voice spoke from behind him.

"Hello, Severus," the Dark Lord greeted him. Severus whirled, but only glared at the man fearfully, if such a thing were possible. Neither said anything for a few moments.

"Well, let's get it overwith," Severus finally commented stiffly.

"You're not going to beg me to hear young Harry's plea?" the Dark Lord asked skeptically.

"Would it do me any good?" Severus replied, raising a curious eyebrow.

"No," the other man admitted. "It simply surprises me that you aren't whining to me to release you for his sake."

"If it makes you feel any better," Severus sneered, "I would if I thought it would get me anywhere."

"Yet you feel that not begging is somehow better than the slim but possible chance that I would listen," the Dark Lord observed. "Interesting."

"You just said it didn't matter to you," Severus argued hotly.

"Indeed, it doesn't," the Dark Lord confirmed, "but you had no way of knowing that for sure."

"Just get on with it," Severus ground out.

"No need to be so defensive," the Dark Lord said, sounding amused. "This is actually quite an opportunity for you. You're intelligent; I'm surprised you haven't seen it yet."

"Oh? What sort of an opportunity is that?" Severus sulked.

"I will win this war," he explained. "Dumbledore keeps making it easier for me, what with driving those who should be loyal to him away from him. People like you and little Harry. People like Minerva. I fully realize that neither Minerva nor Harry will ever side with me, but neither will they help Dumbledore more than strictly necessary once all the facts come to light. You, on the other hand, have expressed more interest in the Dark Arts and such than any other person mentioned so far."

"That doesn't mean I want to lose my freedom," Severus said through gritted teeth. The Dark Lord ignored him.

"Yet, even you, have had reservations. As I began, I will win this war. By taking this vow, you will have sealed your fate on the winning side. I will never have to question your loyalty; I will never have to choose when it is more advantageous to me to kill you or to keep you. You will have sealed a long, safe life for yourself and position in the New Order." Severus inwardly groaned. He felt sick. Perhaps it was the Prussian blue but he doubted it.

"Alright," he sighed, suddenly feeling too tired to fight. "Let me just take the vow."

"You are an exceedingly interesting person, Severus," the Dark Lord continued. "You only have loved two people in your entire life, yet those two people are your weaknesses, because you love them. You have willingly thrown everything you are, your soul, as you put it earlier, at me in order to protect Harry. You realize I can still kill him later, do you not? But it doesn't seem to concern you. If you've bought him even a little time, it seems to me that you would think it worth the exchange. What is it that makes you willing to hurt yourself so much? You're loathe to take that vow, much as it will ultimately be to your benefit, yet you haven't even asked for me to not make you take it."

"You're correct," Severus confirmed. "If I can buy Harry even a few weeks, it will have been worth it. You don't know what kind of a life he's had. I want him to know what it's like to be happy. I want him to know what it feels like, what was taken from me. Is that so hard to understand?"

"Self-preservation says otherwise," the Dark Lord said thoughtfully, sinking into a nearby chair, crossing his legs, and watching Severus idly. "Survival of the fittest would seem to dictate that you should look out for what you think is your best benefit at all times."

"And that is where you're wrong," Severus contradicted quickly. "Survival of the fittest isn't meant to keep you alive. It's meant to keep your genes alive, which means keeping Harry alive. If you wish to reduce the world to biology, then see it that way. As long as Harry lives, I live in him. I am unlikely to ever have another child. If he dies, then my line is dead."

"This is why you are such an enigma, Severus, bound between two worlds."

"What do you mean?"

"Possessing insight into love yet also into the unloving. Loving enough to know what it means, yet unloving enough to have a cold, calculating heart."

"I'm not sure whether that was a compliment or not. If you have finished psychoanalyzing me. Who will be witness to the vow?"

"Draco," the Dark Lord answered, and Severus closed his eyes wearily. Of course his humiliation would have to be in front of Draco, the closest student he had. Until Harry, of course. He nodded. "Are you ready, Severus?"

"Yes, my lord," he whispered, but it seemed to echo throughout the empty room. Severus retreated into the confines of his mind, trying to calm himself and appreciate his last moments of freedom. He was brought out of his stupor when the Dark Lord cleared his throat pointedly, and Severus saw Draco watching him curiously, wand in hand. The Dark Lord held out his hand and Severus gripped it firmly, swallowing hard as he felt panic well up inside him.

The ceremony was brief, and Severus went through it on autopilot, affirming all the questions posed to him, and then the binding ribbons sealed the bargain. Perhaps it was simply his imagination, but Severus felt a shadow rest on his soul as the vow was closed, as he realized the helplessness of his situation.

He would have to do whatever he was commanded, down to the smallest detail, unable to protect his conscience, what little one he had, or anyone's best interests other than his master. He felt a rogue tightening in his chest, but suppressed it. There were no exceptions. It wouldn't matter how terrible, how heinous, his orders were, he would be bound to carry them out. He knew he didn't have it within him to defy a direct order once he had taken the vow. That would secure his freedom; his death. But Severus knew he was too much of a coward to do that. The loveless, cold, calculating part of himself roared up like a mighty beast and would keep him from such a foolish act, one that would damage him permanently. Survival of the fittest might demand that he look after his offspring, but it didn't mean he had to die.

"Draco, you are dismissed," the Dark Lord said, and the boy left, for which Severus was grateful. "Honor me," he ordered. Severus fell to his knees immediately, not wishing to endanger his life, and he felt terrible for it, even though it was a small, harmless thing, something he had done of his own volition for years. The difference was that this time, it wasn't his choice. He wanted to scream in his frustration.

Severus quivered with humiliation as he kept absolutely still, for fear of crossing the vow.

"Do you, Severus Tobias, swear to obey me in all my wishes, all my commands?"

"I do, my lord."

"Go ahead, Severus," the Dark Lord prompted. "Kiss my robes; pay me your homage." Severus, more scared than he had been in a long time, timidly did as commanded, bringing the hem of his master's robe to his lips.

"My lord," he breathed reverently, suppressing a shudder. He felt cold all over. The Dark Lord placed his chalk white hand on Severus' head, his black hair only making it look all the whiter.

"Rise," he commanded. Severus scrambled to his feet and watched his master fearfully, wringing his hands nervously. It felt like an eternity that they looked at each other. "You shall not speak to anyone but me, ever. And even then, only speak if you have a question for me regarding your duties or if I have spoken to you first."

"Yes, my lord," Severus answered. "What can I do for you?"

"Bring me my dinner," the Dark Lord said after a moment, the note of smugness apparent in his voice. He was clearly enjoying having Severus in such a position, one where he couldn't wiggle out.

"Yes, my lord," Severus acknowledged and turned to leave.

"Severus," the Dark Lord called after him, and Severus turned to hear his master's newest comment.

"Whenever you enter or leave my presence, I want you to bow at the waist, kneel, and then thank me for taking your vow." Severus glared for a moment, but then his expression changed to one of defeated acceptance. "You might as well start practicing now." Severus stepped to where he stood directly in front of his master, bowed, and fell to one knee as instructed.

"Thank you for accepting my vow," he ground out. Severus was unaccustomed to such humiliation and it showed, which he knew his master liked. He rose, head bowed, and turned to leave.

"You're a good son." Severus closed his eyes and exhaled slowly, trying to place all his emotions behind his occlumency shields.


Harry held the letter in his hands, but didn't know what to do. Presumably, it was the last time he would see Snape, and it scared him how much he had come to depend on the man in less than a week. He breathed in and out, concentrating on remaining calm.

"Are you alright, Harry?" a soft voice said behind him. Harry jumped and whirled, instinctively searching for his wand.

"Sorry, Professor," he apologized when he saw the speaker. McGonagall rose from a nearby chair and stepped closer to Harry. "Did - did Professor Snape tell you?"

"About our relation? Yes," she said softly. "He asked me to look after you in his absence." Harry nodded and looked away, clearly unhappy.

"I want him back," he whispered softly.

"I know," McGonagall said sympathetically. "We don't always get what we want though." Harry's eyes shot daggers at McGonagall.

"I know that," he snapped bitterly, reminding the woman of a particular dark-haired student of hers a generation ago. "I never get what I want. It doesn't make me stop wanting him back."

"He was just looking to protect you."

"He's being stupid," Harry grouched, crumpling the letter in his fist. "Why couldn't he just skip town with me, and we could have been happy?"

"Harry, dear," McGonagall soothed, "if You-Know-Who bothered to keep track of Severus all this time, then he will keep track of him until the day one of them dies. Severus has a Dark Mark. I know you know that. You-Know-Who can track him through that, and he will track him, to the other side of the planet. If Severus made a deal, then he knows he must keep it."

"Until one of them dies," Harry muttered quietly.

"Yes," McGonagall replied.

"Voldemort's death would release Professor Snape from his vow?" Harry asked cautiously.

"Yes," McGonagall said, nodding, looking puzzled. A light of understanding dawned on her. "Don't you get any foolish ideas now," she admonished. Harry nodded submissively. "Oh, come here," she sighed, and Harry rushed into her arms. They embraced each other and Harry's breath hitched dangerously. McGonagall ran her hands over Harry's back, trying to offer what comfort she could.

"I'm proud to have you for a grandchild," she murmured softly. She felt Harry nod into her robes.

"I just want him back."

"I'm sorry." They were silent for a few minutes. "I need to get you away from Hogwarts. You're not safe here, and I will not expose you to such danger on a daily basis." Harry pulled his head from her robes and dried his eyes on his sleeve. McGonagall sighed, and offered him a handkerchief from her pocket. He accepted it and blew his nose loudly, then looked sheepish.

"I'm sorry to put you out," Harry muttered, blushing slightly.

"I'm not going to let some psychopath kill my grandson," she stated. "Either of them." He nodded.

"Thank you," he said gratefully. "I appreciate it."

"You should go gather your things," she said. "Meet me in my office. Does two hours sound sufficient? Use your cloak as much as possible to avoid detection."

"Two hours will be fine," Harry agreed.

"Alright," McGonagall said, placing a comforting hand on Harry's shoulder.

"Thank you," Harry said.

"Run along. Your two hours starts now. I'll make sure the Gryffindor common room is cleared by the time you get there if you take the long way." She rose and left.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3080