I Don't Want to be a Hero by etherian
Summary: Harry is a survivor in the harsh world of his un-loving family. All he truly desires is to be a normal boy. It appears that Hogwarts offers all that he desires but he quickly learns that despite what he wants everyone else expects him to be a hero. This is Severitus, Hogwarts first year, AU. British spelling is used. Story is completely written so this will not be abandoned.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 66716 Read: 120622 Published: 17 Jul 2014 Updated: 27 Jul 2014
Chapter 30 by etherian

I Don't Want to be a Hero - Ch. 30


Summer on Prince Lighthouse Island - 30 July, 1992


Prince Lighthouse Island was all that remained of the once extensive Prince holdings in Greece near the island Skopelos. Not too far away was a more hidden area, a large island for a small wizarding village. Once known simply as Prince Island, it had been renamed Port Murem (door mouse it translated to Severus had informed them).


Severus had explained Port Murem and the lighthouse had all been part of a very large estate that was once owned by his mother's family, the Princes, who had been as affluent as the Malfoys. The Prince family fortune had been squandered by Severus’ great-grandfather Terrance Prince through his outrageous addiction to gambling. The village and surrounding land had been sold to pay his many debts after an untimely death (a duel). The lighthouse had been kept by Eileen Prince’s mother Plantena who wanted her daughter to have something of her family after she was married. Eileen, although she knew of the island, never visited it. She had given up her magic for her husband Tobias. It was not until Severus gave his house at Spinner’s End a much needed cleaning that he had found the deed to Prince Island.


The lighthouse existed on its very own island, a massive rock out in the ocean. A long, wide plateau of long grass and wildflowers held the two story house. Unattached, further away from the house, and overlooking the crashing sea below was the lighthouse. The cliffs hid a treacherous looking (but magically secured) zig-zagging staircase that led down to a secluded cove protected from direct sunlight, and harsh winds.




The ocean rolled lazily into the cove and over a number of water worn boulders, and stones, and pebbles. There were hundreds of tidepools to explore, and a great swath of white sand for creating fantasies.


Each of the boys wore shorts, and short-sleeved cotton shirts. None wore shoes although all the shoes sat in a neat row beside Severus. Hermione had her hair braided in two pigtails, and she wore a pretty white dress with yellow polka dots. Her shoes were a pair of cute white sandals that sat with the others.


Harry and Ron crouched over a large tidepool. They watched as a small crab strode across the sand at the bottom, and numerous small fish glided above it. They were both barefoot, and as the water from the ocean crawled up the beach and over the rocks it tickled their toes.


“I think Draco’s sweet on ‘Mione,” mused Ron as he dipped a short stick into the tidepool.


“Ya think?” chuckled Harry. “He’s been all mushy towards her all year.”


“Well I didn’t see it, Harry. Like you’ve been so observant,” scoffed Ron.


Harry shrugged his shoulders and dipped his fingers into the tidepool to slowly uncover a glistening shell. “Draco said he was worried his mum was going to bee-troth him to Pansy Parkinson.”


Ron glanced up, appalled. “Isn’t he kinda young for a wife?”


“That’s what his family did for almost forever. He said his mum and dad were bee-trothed at age seven,” informed Harry.


“At least they like each other,” replied Ron with a nod. “Pansy’s a leech.”


Harry nodded in agreement. “What if Draco and Hermione get married someday?” asked Harry.


“S’ok with me,” replied Ron. “I’m going to be a professional Quidditch player for the Chudley Cannons. What do you want to do?”


Harry glanced up to see his father. He waved at Severus Snape who nodded once in acknowledgement to him. “It might be neat to do what dad does,” speculated Harry. It was wonderful to think he had a father in whose footsteps he could follow.


“Pffft,” Ron gave his opinion of that. Harry pushed him and Ron fell onto his bottom on the wet sand. “Potions are boring, Harry!” giggled Ron as he returned to his crouch.


“When I went to Primary school I kind of liked Chemistry. Potions are a lot more interesting, and you don’t need a wand to do potions.”


“Are you getting a new wand this summer?” Ron dipped a finger into the tidepool and waved it at the crab.


“Dad said we’d get one on my birthday.”


“I think it’s cool that Draco’s dad bought us all brooms. They’re wicked fast,” commented Ron. “When is your birthday, Harry?”


“Thirty-first of July. I’ll be 12. Dad says I get to have a birthday and I’m going to invite you guys, Draco’s dad and mum, and maybe the Headmistress.” Harry picked the wet shell out of the sand and discovered that there was a Hermit Crab within the shell. He showed it to Ron.


“Ouch!” Ron yanked his finger out of the tidepool just as the crab in the water pinched it. Harry laughed, and dropped his Hermit crab back into the tide pool. Ron knocked Harry onto his bottom, and they both broke into gales of laughter.


 


A little further up the beach were Draco and Hermione gathering sand in buckets and building an elaborate sand castle. Draco employed a touch of magic now and then to stick sand where it refused to stay.


“I’m going to have my own castle someday,” boasted Draco.


“Is it going to have a library?” asked Hermione.


“Sure. You’re going to be my wife so if you want one I’ll build you the biggest and best library ever,” declared Draco.


“What if I don’t want you as my husband,” teased Hermione.


Draco gaped at her. “Of course you do, Hermione!”


“You’re only saying that because I’m better than Pansy Parkinson,” she giggled softly.


“Hippogriff turds are better than Pansy,” Draco muttered.


“Draco!” gasped Hermione. “That’s gross!” still, she chuckled. “But, she is sort of.”


“Aguamenti,” said Draco softly and water spilled from his wand to the moat. He was not supposed to be doing magic but he was in the presence of an adult so it was permissible. “Hermione, would I make a terrible husband?”


Hermione peered up at Draco. “I don’t know, would you?”


“Of course not,” he scoffed softly. “My father says if I stop being snotty…”


Hermione giggled, “It’s snooty, silly. You’re arrogant.”


“No, I’m not,” he denied sullenly.


Hermione smiled and patted his forearm, “Well, you are getting better.” She tapped sand on one of the many towers of their castle. “If you want me to be your wife I guess I can be, Draco.”


Draco smiled with smug triumph. “Let’s get Uncle Severus to look at our castle.”


 


Lastly, up even further on the beach sat Severus in a low lounger with his legs stretched out in front of him. But for a vest, a shirt, and trousers, he was barefoot. A wide umbrella behind him kept most of the sun off his skin. Like each of the children, he had used Sun-Resist Potion to prevent burning.


Severus read the latest Ars Alchemica periodical and looked up every few minutes to make certain the children were doing well. At one point he was interrupted by Hermione and Draco running up to him, and then both of them dragging him (a hand for each) to their sand castle for his inspection.


“Professor Snape!” called Hermione running beside Draco.


“Uncle Severus!” called Draco at the same time. “Come see!”


When the two children had dragged Professor Snape back to the castle, Draco and Hermione dropped to their knees on either side of the sandy structure.


“Draco, you used magic,” declared Snape stonily.


“Did not,” muttered Draco in denial.


“Yes you did,” countered Hermione. You made the sand stick, and you filled the moat, Draco.”


“What did I say about magic, Mr. Malfoy?” demanded Snape with his hand out towards the boy.


“If we did magic we’d have to turn over our wands to you,” he replied glumly as he handed his wand to his godfather, and then quickly stuck his tongue out at Hermione. “You don’t get to be my wife now!”


Hermione shrugged. She then glanced upward at her teacher, and shielded her eyes. “It’s Hogwarts, sir!”


Snape studied the castle as he slipped Draco’s wand into his shirt sleeve. "Why does it have nine towers?" asked Severus with a critical eye.


"That's Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and I moved the Slytherins into their own tower," boasted Draco.


"That is four towers out of nine," Severus pointed out. "What about the other five?"


Hermione clarified, "That one is for Hagrid, you get this one which is next to Slytherin, the Headmistress is here, Professor Flitwick gets the one next to Ravenclaw, and the last one is for Professor Dumbledore to retire in because he doesn't want to leave Hogwarts." She smiled at Draco. Both turned hopeful looks to Severus in hopes he might approve.


"You put a moat around your castle. Hogwarts does not have a moat," he again pointed out.


"Well it needs one!" declared Draco hotly. He was getting annoyed with all the criticism Professor Snape was handing them.


Severus tapped his chin. "So it does. I shall mention that to our new Headmaster. Does yours have the Giant Squid in it?"


Hermione shook her head. "Look over there, sir," she pointed to an area to the left side of the sand castle by Draco’s left foot that resembled a tiny tide pool surrounded by small pebbles. "That's Black Lake. I think the Giant Squid ought to stay there. Our moat will have lots and lots of crabs that will be trained to attack anyone not allowed in the castle. What do you think, sir?"


"Impressive," nodded Severus. "You both did well." Hermione beamed and Draco gave a yelp of joy, and then ran down to the tide pools to join Ron and Harry.


"What are you reading, sir?" asked Hermione.


"Ars Alchemica for July. I could Summon a book from the library for you if you wish to read something else, Hermione."


"Please, sir? Maybe a Potions textbook?" she asked eagerly.


"I think not." He had turned to return to his umbrella so he did not see her quick pout. "I have a book of folk tales you might enjoy, though." Sitting down Severus Summoned the large book, patted an area on the sand beside him, and caught the book Summoned as it sailed down to them from the house above.


Hermione settled with her book, and discovered that it was filled with ancient folklore stories that held her interest. She never heard when Harry came up from the tidepools to ask if they could play three-man Quidditch.


 


Harry flew free up into the sky! Draco followed with a whoop of joy, and Ron laughed. Draco threw the Snitch and all three began chasing after it. Ron caught it first, threw it back into play, and then Harry caught the Snitch. He threw the Snitch back into play and for ten minutes they loop, spiralled, and dove through the air, over the ocean. A near collision between Draco and Harry, Draco being more daring, had the tow-headed boy snatching the Snitch from the air with a triumphant shout.


Severus had tried to continue reading but he knew that was futile. He began to watch the game without showing any worry but all three boys were inveterate daredevils as far as flying went. The near collision between Draco and Harry was enough for his heart to jump a beat. He cursed, forgetting that there was a young girl behind him.


"Harry's really good, sir," piped up Hermione behind him.


Snape turned to face the young Gryffindor. "He is a maniacal risk taker," growled Snape. "He is reckless."


"When we arrived here you spent a half hour inspecting all the brooms and putting all sorts of wards on them," she reminded. She smiled. He did not. Draco's father had bought them all new brooms to fly around Prince Lighthouse island. They were the fastest and best made. Of course Severus was going to inspect each of them to the nines!


"Do not get cheeky with me, Miss Granger or I shall throw you into the ocean,” he threatened.


The little witch let out an indignant harraumph. Hermione glared at him, mumbled under her breath, and returned to her book.


Severus turned away from the girl as he heard a piercing cry in the sky. As he peered worriedly up at Harry, the boy laughed, swooped his broom into a dive, and headed straight for his father. Just as the boy swooped past...


"HARRY POTTER SNAPE!! Get your numbskull arse down here!" Shouted Severus tautly.


Harry aimed for near his father. "I'm sorry, dad," began Harry as he jumped off his broom.


"Get in the house," snarled Snape. Harry's shoulders drooped. With a sigh Snape relented a small bit, "You may fly up to the house if you do not wish to use the stairs." As Draco and then Ron alighted by their friend he added, "Put your brooms away, and wash up for dinner."


"You too, Miss Granger. It is near time for dinner." The wizard levitated the book from her hands.


"Hey!" Hermione scrambled to her feet, and jumped up for the book that was hovering too high above her.


"Dinner, Miss Granger. To the house. Now." She glowered at her teacher, even though it was Summer and he was not her teacher now. With a yellow-polka dotted flounce Hermione stomped off the beach and began the trek up a long staircase to the house.


Harry mounted his broom. "C'mon! Dad said we didn't have to use the stairs!" With a laugh he darted up into the air, to the plateau to where the lighthouse and its attached house stood.


Ron jumped onto his broom, and flew up after Harry. Draco had stayed back. He addressed his teacher, "Professor, I... uhm... thanks for saving my father from going back to Voldy."


Snape, sensing that the child needed the formality they were cloaked in at Hogwarts, nodded. "You are most welcome, Mr. Malfoy. How has your mother fared since the arrest of your Aunt Bellatrix?"


Draco smiled softly, "Better. She seems a bit happier since Aunt Bellatrix was sent to Siberia. I think she and father are kind of liking each other better, too."


"Very good.” Liking indeed, he thought. Lucius had already written to him that Draco was to have a brother or sister. “Would you do a favour for me, Draco?"


"Sure, Uncle Severus!"


Snape glanced at the figure of the small witch not even half of the way up the long, zig-zagging steps to the plateau of the island. "Give Miss… I forget that Harry has asked me to use your given names. Give Hermione a lift to the plateau, would you? I shall meet you at the house for dinner."


"Okay!" Draco ran, mounted his broom, and flew up to where Hermione was. Snape watched as there appeared to be a bit of argument, and then the boy persuaded the girl to climb onto his broom. As Draco sailed out into the air, and upward, Hermione let out a scream that made the air shiver.


Snape chuckled quietly. That witch really hated flying.


 


With a short spin, he had Apparated from the beach and to the house above. He was met by Harry who came running out of the house, and greeted him with a strong hug to his abdomen. Snape ruffled the boy's hair, which was taming itself as it grew longer.


"Are you hungry, Harry?" asked Snape.


"Starved!"


"Then let us go and eat," Snape turned the boy to face the house but then the boy quickly turned back.


"Dad?" Harry reached up to begin playing with the watch fob chain on Snape's vest that stretched from a button to the pocket where his old pocket watch was.


"What is it, Harry?"


"Draco and I were talking about school next year, and he's going to try out for the Slytherin Quidditch team. Would it be alright if I try out, too?" Harry glanced up hopefully into his father's eyes. "For Gryffindor, I mean."


"Are you certain of this desire?" Snape asked carefully.


Harry shrugged nervously, and then withdrew the watch from his father's pocket. The watch was old, and pitted, and had been the only heirloom Tobias Snape had ever given to his son. Snape lifted his hand, and stroked Harry's small fingers over the watch.


"Harry? What are you worried about?"


"Him." Harry shuddered as he recalled the brief glimpse he'd had back in the tower where the Mirror of Erised was. That vision of the ghosts of his parents, and his dead teacher, fighting Voldemort still haunted his nightmares. "Will next year be safe? From him?"


Snape knelt down on one knee to bring him level with Harry's gaze. He cupped Harry's head between his hands. "Child, Lucius and I both showed you that our Dark Marks are not just faded but gone. They vanished with the final death of... of Voldemort. He has no body but even better he has no spirit left. He will never return."


"I'm a normal boy," sighed Harry.


"You're an annoying welp that is as normal as little boys come, Harry. You have my permission to try out for Quidditch but do not expect me to sit idly by as you so cavalierly sail in the air. I am going to try and keep you safe while reducing any white hair I might accumulate," Severus rose to his feet, gave his son a quick glare, and then smiled gently. He held out his hand, "Come along, son. Let us join your friends for dinner."


THE END

 


 

Oh Wait!

But What About… Albus Dumbledore?


The plane was flying smoothly across the Atlantic from the United States to England. Two rather strange passengers: an elderly man with an impossibly long beard and wearing a garish, plaid suit, and a much younger man with sandy brown hair, and odd scars on his face sat in first class. Both were polite but the stewardess kept hearing odd words or phrases: things like 'Muggles', 'Quidditch' and 'Voldemort'.


Lucy, the stewardess, a young woman of Asian descent born in California was in charge of the few passengers in first class, and she found the elderly gentleman amusing, and the younger man charming.


"Lucy," asked the older man, "might I have some more of those delightful packages of peanuts, and a fizzy drink? I rather liked the root beer."


Lucy smiled indulgently. "I thought you might enjoy the root beer better than the ginger ale, Mr. Dumbledore." She gave a brighter smile to the young man who blushed, "Mr. Lupin, is there anything you'd like?"


"Chocolate?" asked Remus a little gruffly.


"I have a few different kinds," Lucy replied. "Shall I pick something out for you?"


"If you would, please. I think I'd like some more root beer, too."


Lucy turned away and headed back down the aisle. Albus leaned towards Remus. "A remarkable way to travel, my boy. So you've flown in an aeroplane a few times?"


"I'm a dab hand, Albus. I've gone to New Zealand, Greece, and even Egypt via plane," replied Remus leaning back in his seat.


"In search of a cure?" asked Albus softly.


Remus nodded. "I've picked up a lot of information but the one who would be most knowledgeable in making sense of what I have..." he sighed sadly, "he won't speak to me."


"Severus," nodded Albus. "We were both unfair to the boy, Remus. Myself moreso for not listening to him more. It still amazes me that he adopted Harry."


"And Lucius Malfoy witnessed for him," Remus chuckled and smiled.


“An unexpected development.” He glanced sideways at the younger wizard. “Perhaps Severus might reconsider speaking to you.”


“All things change,” the werewolf observed wistfully.


"I suppose you feel I was wrong, too, about Harry?" asked Albus sadly.


"I think you put too much faith upon a child's shoulders, Albus, when you should have listened to the adults who had proven their loyalty long before Riddle rose to power. You read the same report from the Department of Mysteries that we in the Order of the Phoenix read; it was Lily's magic that killed Riddle, not Harry."


"But Sybil prophesied..." began the older wizard.


“Sybil is not her grandmother Cassandra,” Remus interrupted, "And you never told anyone about a prophecy." Remus gave him a severe look. "How do you expect any of us to be of any help when you are keeping secrets from us, Albus?” He turned sharply in his seat and eyed the old wizard darkly, “You put Harry into the hands of Petunia and even I, who never met the woman, knew of her from what both James and Lily told me about Petunia. She was awful, Albus!” Remus shook his head. “How can Harry ever trust you? I cannot believe what you’ve done to him..." Remus sighed in frustration. "And what you allowed happen to Sirius." Just thinking of his old friend and what Minerva had discovered and relayed to him via Floo last night angered him. Sirius Black had been sent to Azkaban on charges that had never been investigated.


Both men faced away from each other. Each were thinking as the plane engines rumbled soothingly beneath them.


It annoyed Albus that he had erred so terribly. He felt he had been doing what needed to be done, and each day that had passed for him it all made sense. However, he had bumbled... and badly. He had hurt Severus, whom he truly did care for, it chilled him to realise that without knowing he had sent poor Sirius to Azkaban for nearly ten years, and Harry... those relatives of his...! He had only ever known Petunia from a letter she had sent to him as a child pleading with him to let her attend Hogwarts with her sister. Truly, he had thought that the Muggle woman would look upon Harry with love as she had her own sister. Instead, he learned from Minerva that the child had been hated, neglected, and was unwanted. Albus had been nothing but an untrustworthy burden to Harry.


Albus stared out the plane window at the world that was so tiny beneath it, and a tear slipped down his cheek. He had been an old man when Tom Riddle had come to power. Still spry, and he had built a strong force to oppose him and his followers; the Order of the Phoenix. Albus had gone on rescues, fought battles, and had inducted, and then led the members in a concerted effort to thwart the Dark Wizard. All of that had changed when Sybil had had that prophecy of hers. He had thought it was Severus had overheard it, and passed on what he heard to Riddle. It was actually Regulus Black who had overheard the prophecy, and he had disappeared not long after. Albus knew that Riddle was one to attend to portents and omens and prophecies -- a great weakness that Albus could have used to bring down Riddle. Instead, Albus had chosen to follow Riddle onto a path of vagueries that precipitated the disappearance of Regulus, the murder of the Potters, the possible unjust imprisonment of Sirius, and injury to the young Harry Potter.


At least Severus was trying to do the right thing by Harry, and perhaps by Harry's mother. He doubted that James was in the young Slytherin's thoughts at all. Perhaps there was a silver lining in that having adopted the boy Severus would return to the world of the living, and continue on with his life.


Albus smiled with plans. He could see the dour Potions Master with an adoring wife, a house full of children, and he, Albus, would dote upon each and every child.


However, he would need to create a new bridge of trust with Harry, and he hoped the child would allow him into his heart.


Albus turned to speak to Remus who was still not speaking to him. "Once we return home, Remus, we must join Minerva's efforts to get Sirius released. I shall then tender my resignation at Hogwarts. Perhaps Minerva might like to take over..."


"Malfoy would," Remus sneered half-heartedly. He knew the aristocrat had proven himself, and was on the Board of Governors, now nearly 9 years. Still his retort was not serious.


"Perhaps. The only other Slytherin Headmaster was Phineas Nigellus Black and I am certain he'd like to see a fellow Slytherin as Headmaster."


"I was joking, Albus!" Remus said appalled.


"I was not," Albus replied serenely. "Hm. Yes. Lucius could be quite good for Hogwarts."


Remus' jaw dropped open. Lucy the stewardess arrived at that moment, "More peanuts, Mr. Dumbledore, and your root beer." She boldly tapped Remus' chin. He closed his mouth. Lucy then handed him a blue and gold package. "Chocolate. Cadbury Giant Buttons. Very popular amongst the kids right now, Mr. Lupin. I think you'll enjoy them."


Remus decided to ignore Albus in favour of his chocolate. He opened the package, took out one of the buttons, and popped it in his mouth. "Oh! This is wonderful! Thank you, Lucy!" He smiled brightly at the stewardess who beamed as she put his root beer on his tray.


Lucy started to move away when Albus leaned over in front of Remus, and stopped her with his hand on hers. "Lucy, we've so enjoyed your company so far. Perhaps, when you take a break you will join us?"


Lucy smiled uncertainly as she glanced at the old man, then at Remus who was frowning in puzzlement at Albus. "I... well, how generous, Mr. Dumbledore. I have a break in ten minutes." With a sudden extra bounce in her step Lucy continued down the aisle to dole out drinks and snacks to her other first class passengers.


"Albus, are you playing matchmaker?" asked Remus.


"I have to do something, Remus, since I won't be a Headmaster any longer." He chuckled and looked out the plane window. "Do you think Lucius will un-bind my magic when we get home?"


Remus popped another chocolate button into his mouth, crossed his arms over his chest, and glowered at the seat in front of him. "Merlin, I hope not," he muttered.


Now tis the end


 

a/n: Thank you to everyone who read my little story, and especially to everyone who took time to comment, to favourite the story, or add it to a story community. I dearly enjoyed entertaining all of you.


~Jayne d’Arcy


I Don’t Want to be a Hero - Part II - the second year 1992


I am already writing part II but it is not far enough along to post. At ten chapters I would begin posting. In this Part II we would learn about Harry’s new wand, the tragedy of Sirius, who the new Headmaster or Headmistress is, who is the new DADA teacher, whether or not Severus will continue teaching, and whatever happened to the Invisibility Cloak that Griphook mentioned to Severus, and whether or not Draco has a sibling.


My tentative storyline would bring back Bellatrix LeStrange, a retired Albus Dumbledore, and a possible sweetheart duel between newcomers to Hogwarts: Ginny Weasley and Luna Lovegood. I am considering keeping Remus Lupin but he would remain as Albus’ caretaker and he will be a bit more strong in personality than he was in the books.


I am also considering a division between the Quartet after Hermione gets attacked; at fault is Ron.


Opinions are welcome so feel free to leave a review of PM me.


Thank you!

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3084