Love is a Charm by atiaahmed
Summary: Harry unexpectedly finds himself being tutored by Professor Snape. And as if that wasn't weird enough, Snape's actually nice to him.
On the other side, Snape cannot fathom why he'd suddenly feel so protective of Harry bloody Potter! What is the reason behind this development and will it last?
They'll find out one thing: love truly is a charm.
completed, sequel completed, First Part of the series "Love is...", no slash, PreGuardian
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: Hermione, McGonagall, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Love is...
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 35017 Read: 51433 Published: 19 Jul 2014 Updated: 09 Aug 2014
Chapter 2 – Mini Me in Training by atiaahmed

"So what did old Snape want?", Ron asked when Harry entered the Portrait Hole.

"Pinch me, please.", Harry said, dazed. He didn't need to ask again because both his friends pinched him at the same time. "Ow! Once would have been enough."

Ron shrugged

"So what happened?", Hermione asked

"Snape had me brew a Potion.", he said "Swelling Solution."

Hermione nodded "We're going to brew that later in the year."

Ron waved at her, indicating she should be quiet, impatient to hear what Harry had to say. She pursed her lips.

"Then he complimented me on it."

Ron looked like he had just seen Hagrid in a Tutu.

"You sure that happened, you weren't having some weird dream, right?"

"Ron!", Hermione admonished "What happened then?"

"He said I could be a good brewer. That I had talent and if I completed the potion the way he wanted me to tomorrow, he might tutor me."

"Really?", Hermione shrieked, full of excitement, Ron looked at her bewildered

"That's a good thing?", he asked

"Of course Ron!", she said "Snape's one of the best potioneers in Britain. He has made valuable contributions to science and regularly writes articles for In the Cauldron."

"What's that?", Harry asked

"Its like Transfiguration Today.", at their blank expressions, she said a bit testily "Try reading some day, it helps. Oh for Gods sake! They're the leading science magazines on these subjects."

"And you're telling us this because...", Ron prompted

"He is one of the best, if he tutors you and you do well.", she took a shuddering breath and ended in a stage whisper "Harry, he might take you on as an apprentice!"

Harry blinked, failing to see why this was great news "Yeah, he said that."

Hermione gave a shrill cry and Ron held his ears "Merlin!"

"That is so great, Harry!", she said with feeling "It would be amazing. And you're really young too!"

"Not that young.", Harry murmured "And don't get too excited, he might decide I'm crap at it after all. Why he would bother at all is anyone's guess."

Finally they had come to the heart of the matter. Hermione had an answer for this already

"If you're a natural, he plainly wants to have you as his apprentice before anyone else can claim you.", she said "He's never taken anyone on and if you make great contributions to science one day, they would attribute them to him as well. And not to forget...", she gave Harry an apologetic smile "...you are Harry Potter."

Harry rolled his eyes at that, but did understand what she was saying. Having the Boy-Who-Lived as an apprentice would make for good advertisement.

"Well I still have to make that potion."

"I would mess it up on purpose if I were you.", Ron said. Hermione looked scandalized.


Harry didn't mess it up, because Hermione would probably have his head if he did. He tried his best with it and sank against the desk when he was finished. This time Snape hadn't said anything. Harry, listening to some made urge, had added half a rat spleen more than necessary and it still turned out right. Actually it looked far better than expected. Snape sniffed the potion, then checked its thickness. Finally he blew on it and then nodded.

"So?", Harry asked, Snape gave him a scathing look and said

"Perfect."

"Perfect?", Harry repeated

"Yes, Potter. Do I need to spell it out?" Harry shook his head to clear it. How could this be?

"Well, congratulations.", Snape said "You will be tutored now."

Harry gulped "Professor... I really appreciate the offer. It... erm... means a lot."

Snape raised an eyebrow, then guessed "Word for word from Miss Granger, am I correct?"

Harry considered denying it, then nodded at Snape. Snape actually grinned.

"Its alright.", he said loftily "You'll understand the honor eventually."

Harry shrugged, helpless.

"Show me your timetable, Mr. Potter. We'll see when we can squeeze your extra lessons in."

When Harry showed him his timetable, Snape pursed his lips "Friday, forth lesson."

It was the only free period he had this year.

"But that's not enough.", Snape murmured, Harry looked at him alarmed

"I have Quidditch practice too, sir..."

"Yes!", Snape said impatiently and shot him an ugly look "Don't I know it!"

Harry grinned a bit, when Snape stared at his timetable again, as if he could burn a lesson in with his gaze.

"If there wasn't Defence...", Snape said quietly, lost in thought. A wonderful idea occurred to Harry.

"Sir!", he said, excited "I could skip Defence for the tutoring."

Snape raised an eyebrow at that and said "You wish."

Harry pouted a little at that.

"I wish that too actually.", Snape said, staring at the parchment again "But I believe you will have to sit through that waste of time."

Harry shrugged moodily. He guessed it was no use offering to give up history...

"Very well, there's nothing for it.", Snape said, bringing Harrys hopes up "You'll have to follow a different curriculum than your peers in potions."

Harry drew his eyebrows together "What do you mean, professor?"

"Simple. While your classmates follow the second year curriculum I will advise an advanced curriculum for you."

Harry blinked, then hastily said "Sir. I've never been very good at potions. I brewed one potion correctly. Aren't you... er.. getting ahead of yourself... Sir?"

"You know, putting in a 'sir' does not amend rudeness.", Snape remarked lightly "I am not 'getting ahead of myself'. I know what I saw. You'll do well, I know. As my Soon-To-Be-Apprentice you'll be excused from Potions Exams, so that shouldn't be a problem..."

Snape was already planning ahead, while Harry still struggled to understand how he had landed himself in this position in the first place

"Don't you need permission from Dumbledore or something?", he said a bit desperately

"Oh, of course.", said Snape snapping out of his thoughts, then he scowled "You will address the headmaster as 'Professor' or 'headmaster'."

"Yes, sir.", Harry responded dejectedly "Does that mean I'll follow a different curriculum and also have to come on Fridays?"

Snape gave him a cold look "Of course, you little idiot! During potions lessons I will hardly have time to concentrate on you. On Fridays we'll be brewing one-on-one and can follow different projects."

"Like...?"

Snape actually opened his mouth to explain, then shut it and grinned evilly "You'll see."

Harry was ready to whine at that but held himself off. This was Snape. He'd kill him. He finally succumbed to fate and nodded at his Professor who added the lesson on his usually free Friday afternoon.


The week proceeded and Harry settled in to his new role. The Slytherins were shocked when they learned about the new arrangements but rumor was Dumbledore had positively ordered Snape to take Harry on when his talent emerged. So Harry followed a different curriculum, brewing ahead of his peers. To his own surprise he did very well. He felt a bit strange because he was speared by jealous looks from Hermione and Malfoy but tried to ignore them both. Come Friday he found himself in the Potions Masters company again.

"Well, loose that robe and fold up your sleeves.", Snape commanded, already preparing their worktable. Harry blinked. He supposed it wouldn't go well if he accused Snape of sounding like a pedophile the first time they brewed together. So he complied and realized that Snape too had 'lost his robe and folded up his sleeves'. He glanced at his left forearm where the air seemed to sizzle. There was some charm placed there, Harry realized. Maybe Snape was hiding an injury? But why wouldn't he simply wrap it up in a bandage? Maybe he had an embarrassing tattoo from his youth. Harry amused himself imagining what that could be.

"Something funny?", Snape asked

"No, sir."

"Good. Let's proceed then."

"Proceed with what, sir?", Harry asked tentatively

"Today I'm brewing Wolfsbane Potion. Do you know what it is used for?"

"To banish a wolf, sir?", Harry hazarded a guess

"I know you don't know the answer.", Snape replied coolly "But a good guess nonetheless. It is a Potion to help werewolves keep their sanity at the full moon."

Harry stared at Snape open mouthed.

"What?", Snape asked

"Werewolves exist?", he asked astounded

"You really need a proper defence teacher.", Snape sighed "Yes, of course. They transform at the full moon. This illness is called lycanthropy and you can only get infected at the full moon, if a werwolf bites you and you are unfortunate enough to survive the attack."

"Unfortunate?"

"Lycanthropy is a very painful disease. Control of your wits is only possible through this highly complicated and expensive potion. Otherwise one would attack and kill even the person dearest to ones heart. That is why werwolves are seen as unlucky and dangerous. They are shunned in our society and discriminated against."

Harry stared a moment then slowly asked "Are you...?"

Snape drew his eyebrows together "Of course not, you dimwit! A werwolf would not be able to teach around his 'time of the month', for the transformation takes away a lot of energy. And before you ask, I'm not a vampire either."

Harry gave him a sheepish grin and then turned his attention to the potion.

"The Wolfsbane Potion is a very complicated Potion and only a true Master can produce it.", Snape explained "Guess which is the main ingredient."

"Wolfsbane, sir?", Harry said

"I did say 'guess'", Snape murmured to himself, but at this very moment Harry remembered

"Aconite! Its called Aconite or Monkshood or Wolfsbane."

Snape looked at him impressed, then said "Correct."

Harry grinned "I remembered from our first lesson."

"You would remember that.", Snape contemplated and received a glare from his student "Oh, get over yourself, it wasn't that bad."

Harry continued to glare, so Snape continued with the lesson "Wolfsbane is a strong poison, brewed incorrectly the Potion would kill the drinker. So it is imperative to pay close attention. I made this list for you. Prepare these ingredients in exactly the way described. Pay close attention. This is not a contest in speed."

Harry nodded and read the list. He picked up the ingredients he needed and started working on them. From then on Snape ignored him, which helped a lot in preparing correctly. He fell into a daze, working quietly and efficiently until he was finished. He cleared his workplace and packed up the ingredients. When he returned, Snape was folding down his sleeves.

"Come here.", he ordered. Harry stood next to him and tried to look into the cauldron, but he was too small. Annoyed he tried to stand on his toes but Snape was even more impatient than him. Suddenly he had grabbed Harry under his armpits and hoisted him into the air.

Harry squealed undignified when lifted so suddenly and then blushed.

"Put me down!", He protested

"Look into the cauldron. I can't keep holding you forever." Harry glanced into the cauldron and then nodded, Snape put him down again "Then again you're so thin, I could probably brew with you on my hip."

Harry shot him a glare "Don't do that!"

Snape raised an eyebrow "Don't be so skirmish. Follow me."

He lead the way into his office.

"I will have to brew the Potion over the weekend. The werewolf needs to drink it every day for a week until the day of the full moon."

"What happens with him then?"

"He transforms into the beast but stays in his conscious mind. That way he can curl up harmlessly and wait out the night."

"But if he wanted to, he could still go on and bite people?", Harry asked. Snape regarded him with a strange look, remembering Fenrir Greyback, then nodded "Yes, that is also possible. But can you imagine someone doing that?"

Harry made a face but didn't answer.

"Very well, next week we could...", Snape had drawn up a large book with the title 'Most Potente Potions'. It was quite worn out and seemed to be one of the professors favorites.

"Can I choose?", Harry asked, Snape looked up and saw the innocent excitement on Harrys face. It took him a moment but then he slid the book to Harry and pointed at the index. Harry ran his finger along the list and stopped at one.

"What does Polyjuice Potion do?", he asked

"It can transform you into anyone you like for an hour. But only if you have a piece of them."

Harry whistled through his teeth and then looked up with shining eyes "Can we make that?"

Snape regarded him for a moment, seemingly lost in thought "It is quite advanced..."

"Please!", Harry pleaded with large round eyes, the way Dudley would beg for sweets "It would be so cool. And you said yourself, only a real Master can make the Wolfsbane. I still helped."

Snape looked down on him and then said softly "You did."

Harry felt surprised at how gentle the potions masters voice had gone at those two words. He marveled at the look on his teachers face. He had never seen anyone look at him like that. His heart thumped loudly in his chest.

But then Snape broke the moment by clearing his throat and then gruffly saying

"Very well. We'll brew that. Copy out the chapter and read it. I want you to prepare the ingredients you believe you can prepare without me having to tell you. Clear?"

"Yes Sir."


"Will you have tutoring this Friday? Its Halloween.", Hermione asked

"Oh, no we changed to Thursday evening, after classes.", Harry replied

"What are you starting then?"

Harry beamed at Hermiones question "Veritaserum. Did you know, the Ministry buys their stock from Professor Snape?"

Hermione smiled at that, Harry sounded so proud "That sounds great. But its supposed to be very hard to make. Doesn't it take a whole lunar cycle to complete? There are many steps and you have to stay attentive for quite a while."

Harry leaned in to Hermione and whispered "I got permission to stay the night at the professor's, so I can see the key process before it has to ripe. He'll keep working through the night, you know."

Hermione looked surprised "Really? And where will you sleep?"

Harry blinked "I... don't know... I guess he'll send me up when we're finished."

But that didn't happen.


The Day before Halloween

"So Mr. Potter. What would you put in to counterbalance the Baneberry?"

Harry was sitting on the counter beside the cauldron that Snape stirred continually. As he was so small, he would not be able to see the proceedings if he stood beside Snape. So they had agreed for him to sit on the table. As even the table was high, Snape lifted him up every time, which always made Harrys cheeks turn the color of ripe cherries.

Harrys eyes flew over the work table and he said "Fluxweed"

Snape took the ingredient and dumped a few into the cauldron. It sizzled and turn clear. Harry grinned at Snape who merely raised an eyebrow.

"Now we need to wait.", Snape reached out and put Harry on his feet "You can sit over there and entertain yourself with a book."

With reddened cheeks Harry mumbled "Yes, Sir" and sat down in a large chair. He drew his legs up and made himself comfortable. He had sat in this chair quite a few times now and secretly called it "his chair". He had shaped it to fit his frame and could snuggle right into it. He took up Moste Potente Potions to search for the next project. He idly turned pages and wondered how late it was, because his eyes were getting heavy.

When Snape next looked up, Potter had fallen asleep in his chair, the book threatening to fall from his lap. Snape silently took it from him and covered Harry with a blanket. He should have known the child was too young to stay awake through the key process.

He turned his attention back to the Serum and proceeded to brew while listening to Harry's quiet breathing. It felt very harmonious. Even the boys breathing seemed synchronized with the bubbling of the Potion. Snape still wondered how he could have missed it. The boy might not be as good as himself at that age, but he definitely had the talent and surprisingly the right work ethic. From the start of their little lessons he had prepared the ingredient meticulously and always kept his place clean and in order. He could excel in Potions if he wanted to. And to everybody's surprise, the boy seemed to have started to want just that.

Snape could now place the feeling that came up in his chest when he looked at the child. It was a warm glowing pride. He had created this. It was actually quite similar to looking into this cauldron full of Veritaserum. But instead of selling it, he would keep the boy around. He even felt a pang of jealousy at the thought of the summer holidays. So many weeks he could have worked with the child. What they could create in that time... He wouldn't even have to teach all day – even more time to bend over a cauldron. And he would miss his little assistant because his relatives would claim him. He was already planning on how to sneak the child away for a week or two... Till the holidays he would be ready to experiment, his skills would be perfected enough for that. Snapes fingers ached to see what the little fiend would bring to his research. He sighed. But no, he would take the train and leave for weeks. Months even! Finally, Snape had found a related soul and he would have to give him away for months at a time. He scowled at that. There must be some way...

When the potion was completed, Snape cleaned up and then regarded the child sleeping in the chair. He couldn't leave him in the lab huddled up like that... So he carefully took Harry into his arms and turned to enter his living quarters. The child immediately turned to the source of warmth and snuggled into his arms. Harry placed his head securely on Snapes shoulder, breathing warmly onto his neck. As if he owned the potions master and it had never been any different. Snape felt distinctly uncomfortable in this position but managed to arrange sleeping space for his student on his couch. He informed Minerva over the floo where Harry was, then went to bed himself. As he turned away from the child in his living room, he felt that he hadn't actually minded the warm weight and soft black curls on him as much as he expected.

 

The End.
End Notes:
WOW! You guys are amazing! I'll answer all you reviews in detail, but I had to just say: you are a-m-a-z-i-n-g! Over at fanfiction.net I have 2 reviews and here there are already 12! I just had to give you a little present for that. That's why you get the next chapter here a week before I upload it at fanfiction.net! And just to clear things up: the whole story is already completed, waiting for upload on my computer. Next time: Chapter 3 Halloween

Harry wakes up in Snapes living room at Halloween and lets something slip to Snape about his home life! The chamber of secrets is opened and there are a lot of serious discussions and emotions bubbling like potions.

Till then

Tata!

Atia


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3087