Love is a Charm by atiaahmed
Summary: Harry unexpectedly finds himself being tutored by Professor Snape. And as if that wasn't weird enough, Snape's actually nice to him.
On the other side, Snape cannot fathom why he'd suddenly feel so protective of Harry bloody Potter! What is the reason behind this development and will it last?
They'll find out one thing: love truly is a charm.
completed, sequel completed, First Part of the series "Love is...", no slash, PreGuardian
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: Hermione, McGonagall, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys
Challenges: None
Series: Love is...
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 35017 Read: 51428 Published: 19 Jul 2014 Updated: 09 Aug 2014
Chapter 6 – As green as a fresh pickled toad by atiaahmed

When Tobias slowly entered the living room on his cane, he was fully prepared to be angry with his son. He had called him several times to help him get up and ready for the day. Finally he had done it himself – a slow and painful process – and went to search for his boy. He had looked into the abandoned bedroom and felt a pang of worry. Where was he? But now all his anger dissipated as he looked at the pair sleeping peacefully on the couch in each others embrace.

He came closer and looked at them. His son had his arms wrapped around the child and his grandchild was holding Severus dressing gown in a death grip. He had his head buried on Severus shoulder. Both looked so harmonious that Tobias smiled and went into the kitchen to slowly prepare breakfast. At the assisted living quarters he had his own kitchenette and did everything himself. Simple tasks took him all day, but he liked to be self sufficient. But as soon as he entered Spinners End, all of that seemed to just leave him. He wanted his son close, to have a chance to mend their relationship. His frail state gave him a good excuse.

It was the smell of coffee that roused Severus. He inhaled deeply and started when there was another smell. He blinked and look down. Harry was snuggled close to his chest, sleeping like a little angel. He relaxed his grip on the child and – thinking he was alone – stroked the hair out of his closed eyes. He was a precious child, he thought and leaned down to lightly kiss his scarred forehead.

"Its good to see you took me seriously." Severus flinched badly at the sudden voice so close to him. He felt heat rising to his cheeks as he looked around and spotted his father, sitting in the armchair with a cup of coffee.

"Father.", he said and cleared his throat "You are awake... Urg... You know, you're not allowed any coffee."

"Oh let me live, Severus.", Tobias said frowning "Those doctors want to take everything worth living for from you, mark my words."

Snape shook his head and gently disentangled himself from Harry, who immediately curled up on himself. He debated waking him up...

"Let him sleep in.", his father said softly, he nodded and went up to get ready.

Harry awoke to soft voices nearby and instead of opening his eyes he listened to the conversation.

"... should have taken him."

"Father... I couldn't have. I told you it was for his own protection."

"Then take him now.", Tobias said "He's your child, he should be with you. Poor little man thought he was all alone in the world. But now he has you. Can you imagine how heart broken the lad will be if you send him back?"

"It is not that easy, father."

"It is.", his father said stubbornly "He is your child and his place is at your side. There's nothing for it."

Harry heard Snape sigh and opened his eyes.

"Ah, see who joined us!", Tobias said happily when he saw that Harry was awake. He smiled gently at him from his armchair. Harry was laying curled up on the couch, Snape sitting at the other end, nursing a cup.

"Morpheus released you then? He had a strong hold today.", Snape smiled and Harry sat up

"Don't know, normally I don't sleep this long... What time is it?", he looked up at the clock and stared. Ten o clock! "Why didn't you wake me?"

"Looked like a little angel sleeping, that's why.", Tobias said amused at the lads embarrassment.

They spent a good time together playing board games and talking. Snape joined when Harry tried to teach Tobias chess and failed miserably. Instead he watched Severus beat Harry in chess a few times and decided the game was nothing for him. When the evening came Tobias was tired out, he sat on the armchair again, Harry was sitting on the floor in front of him leaning back on his legs. He was reading something to the old man and occasionally Tobias stroked his messy hair out of his eyes.

"It must have been your mother.", Tobias suddenly said and Harry stiffened "You must have your hair from her. She only ever had long hair, so it must've flattened out that way... But it is as dark as Severus'"

Harry shrugged

"Do you know how your parents got together?"

Harry shook his head, scared of saying something wrong and blowing up the whole thing

"It must have been in school.", Tobias said slowly "They went to school together and they were friends... Two neighborhood kids going to the same fancy school... She was a thing to see, your mother. Such a happy child. Always put that look on your fathers face... I thought I'd never see that look again, you know..."

Harry listened intently

"But yesterday, when he was up there with me and we were talking about you... He had that look again... And later when he kept glancing at you while you were sleeping..."

Harry felt his face heat up

"He really loves you, kid. I'm glad."

"You think?", Harry said, turning around and looking at Tobias hopefully, the old man smiled

"Yes, certainly. He slept here with you last night. He thought I wasn't there when he woke up, you know.", Tobias grinned mischievously "He looked at you that way, cuddled you and kissed you."

Harry thought he must be red as a tomato and turned around again. He remembered waking from the nightmare and Snape holding him. But he hadn't realized that Snape had slept on the couch with him. More than that, he had cuddled him. No one ever did that... Mrs. Weasley had embraced him and Hermione, but he didn't remember anyone else... Well Snape had hugged him when he had completely melted down but that was... he was being a good person, really. But cuddling him, kissing him... he needn't have done that.

"You look tired father.", Snape said, entering the room again "Do you want to go to bed?"

"Not just yet.", Tobias said stroking the childs hair "There's something I need to tell you, boy."

Snape raised an eyebrow and looked expectant

"Did you know the lad doesn't believe you love him?"

Snape blinked at that and looked down at Harry who avoided his eyes.

"How did that come up?"

"Don't change the subject, boy.", Tobias said, still stroking the messy hair in front of him "Tell him, he needs to hear."

"Father.", Snape said, his brows furrowed "My relationship with Harry is nothing for you to be concerned about."

"I will not have you repeat my mistakes, I'll tell you now!", Tobias said angrily, putting his hand firmly on Harrys head "The lad deserves a good childhood!"

"And I didn't?", Snape snarled, then stopped himself and closed his eyes. After taking several breaths he said "Father, please, I don't want to argue."

"Me neither. So be a good boy and tell the lad you love him. Its obvious for everyone to see, so just get over yourself."

Snape looked like he had changed his mind and did want to argue now but he sighed "I love you, Harry. Of course I do."

He could see the boys cheeks redden and he nodded.

"Now, what kind of reaction is that...?", Tobias prompted

"Father, that's enough now.", Snape said strictly "Harry has not known for long how our relationship is and I believe even if he feels strongly enough to call it 'love' he wouldn't be comfortable saying it in front of an audience. I think its time for bed."

He resolutely put his father to bed and angry as he was, left without saying good night. He came back to Harry already laying in his make shift bed

"Harry, I know you're awake."

The bundle with Harry in it shrugged. Snape sat down on the couch and Harry immediately scooted to make space. Snape put his hand on Harrys head the way his father had before

"I apologize for my father, Harry. He thinks he's helping."

"I know.", Harry mumbled, leaning into the hand that had started stroking his hair. He knew he shouldn't. He should probably tell Snape that he wanted to leave. When Snape had said he loved him, it had felt so... confusing. There was a part of him that hoped and imagined it was real. Another part was bitterly disappointed, because he could only ever be a child to this man, be loved by him, if they were playing roles. And another part of his mind had alarm bells going off, he couldn't allow the man to come close to him. He would never be able to push him away if he actually offered a loving, caring home. The lure of living with Snape as his guardian, that was already enough to have him spill all his secrets. But like this...? He wouldn't hold up a second and Snape wouldn't allow him to stay with the Dursleys if he knew what they did to him. He would endanger the man.

"Harry? Are you angry with me?"

Harry turned around and looked confused "No, why?"

Snape relaxed visibly at those words and shook his head "Nothing. Go to sleep child."

Snape then smoothed out his blanket and hesitated a bit. Resolution crept into his eyes and then he leaned down and lightly kissed his forehead.

"Good night, Harry."

"Thank you, Papa.", Harry whispered and closed his eyes.

Harry spent an enjoyable week with the two Snapes and a day before their return to Hogwarts, they took Tobias to the assisted living quarters. When it was time to say Good bey he hugged Harry close and patted his cheek. To Severus surprise Tobias hugged him as well, but he understood in a moment why that was.

"Do you really believe I can't see through your lies, boy?", he whispered into his ear "I have seen you grow up in front of my eyes. That boy is not your child. But if you take an old mans advice – take him and make him your son."

He patted the stunned Severus on his arm a few times, before he turned away, smiling.

"What'd he say to you?", Harry asked curiously, Snape glanced at him

"That our charade was completely useless."

Harry blinked and then said "Oh... then why'd he...? Never mind..."

Snape held back a grin as he caught up with Harrys thoughts. Tobias had tried hard to force them together. What this whole thing had been about on his side, Severus couldn't guess. But it had been a long while since, that he had ever felt so proud of his dear old dad. That had been positively Slytherin!

In the next alley he took Harry into his arms and apparated to the forbidden forest.

"Never going to get used to this...", Harry mumbled and they made their way through the forest. Harry looked down on the forest floor and then said to Snape

"Is that normal behavior for spiders, sir?"

Snape looked down as well and then frowned "No, it is not."

"They're coming from the castle. Why would they run from there?"

"There must be something frightening them...", Snape said as they entered the Hogwarts grounds. Hagrid was just coming out of his hut. Harry waved and ran to him

"Hey Hagrid!"

"Hey Harry.", Hagrid boomed, happy to see him "Where've ya been?"

"I stayed with Professor Snape", Harry explained pointing to the Professor who was approaching slowly. "Hey, we just saw a lot of spiders running into the forest. Is that normal?"

Hagrid looked worried and shook his head, he said slowly "No... no tha's not normal."

Snape had reached them by this point "Hagrid, has anything else happened out of the ordinary?"

"Oh, nothin'...", Hagrid said and then remembered "Oh, yes! Me roosters been murdered."

"Murdered?", Harry asked

"Ya. Tha' was no animal tha killed em. There were cut marks on em."

"Someone killed your rooster? But why would anyone do that?", Snape asked bewildered by these news

"Damned if I knew, Professor."

"Hagrid.", Snape admonished with a look at Harry "Mind your language in front of students, please."

"Sorry, forget he's a student sometime. Do you know wha' I mean?"

"Indeed.", was Snapes only answer before he lead Harry to the Entrance Hall. Harry had a nice last student free day before all his other classmates came back. Weeks passed and nothing out of the ordinary happened. They forgot about spiders and roosters and even about petrified students. They went and visited Hermione in the hospital wing so they could give her notes on all her subjects - "You boys are so careless! No love for details at all". Ron had rolled his eyes at that.

Harry liked it best when he was in classes, had his lesson with Snape or was visiting Hermione, because that was when people left him alone. Other than that, whispers and pointing fingers followed him everywhere. Since people knew he had even acquired a pet snake, they felt even more validated in their opinion of him. Thankfully his dorm mates had been cool about it, they admired Ophion and thought it was cool when Harry talked to him. Still Harry had been worried about his snake and asked Snape how he could protect him, his teacher had smirked at that "He is save as long as you keep him inside his box, Harry. It is charmed to fend of predators and unfriendly hands." Harry smiled broadly at that and felt a lot better.


Harry was doing dismally in potions. Snape swept over to him, scowled, then vanished his potion and ordered him to read the chapter again. But as much as Harry enjoyed to finally excel in a subject, he had something on his mind. After class the expected happened

"Mr. Potter, stay."

Harry slumped in his chair, when all other students had left, Ron sending him a sympathetic look, Snape crooked his finger and beckoned him closer.

"Sir?"

"What was wrong today? You weren't concentrating."

"Sorry, sir. I guess I wasn't paying attention.", Harry could see Snapes nostrils flare in irritation "I mean... I had something on my mind."

"Care to tell me?", Snape demanded, even though it was a question it sounded like an order.

"Ugh...", Harry didn't know if he could confide in Snape in anything none-potions-related "I... err... well, I was wondering... How could you make an object reply to you?"

Snape blinked, surprised by this question "There are several ways, it depends on what you mean exactly."

"Like the Sorting Hat. It is an object but it can kind of talk to the students it sorts, right?" Snape nodded "Could you do that to anything?"

"Theoretically, yes.", Snape answered "But it is very advanced magic. The Sorting Hat as you know was created by one of the founders."

"Yeah... A student couldn't do it...?"

Snape shook his head but then amended "There are very few, very talented who could. I believe the headmaster would have been able to in his time."

"And say, someone charmed an object years and years ago, like the Sorting Hat – does its magic fade?"

Snape seemed impressed by that question and said "Magic does fade after a while when the caster dies and it is not renewed. But in the same fashion as all wards around the castle hold, the magic inherent in the Hat holds fast as well. It is something every headmaster gives to the school and its magical artifacts – a piece of his power and magic."

Harry listened carefully then nodded, determined to get to the heart of it "And lets say someone evil created something like this, could an object that communicates with you be harmful as well?"

"Certainly.", Snape said, scowling "There could be any number of hexes on it, even such that don't take effect immediately. But a truly evil person would put its power elsewhere. He would make the object intelligent, so that it could corrupt whoever came in contact with it and control it this way."

Harry stared at Snape, of course that was possible as well

"If anyone, say a curious twelve year old, had such an item he would do well in giving it up to an adult.", Snape warned "But mainly, he would do well to forget about such things and apply himself to his studies."

Harry grinned, said "Yes, sir." and left before Snape could demand to check his bag.


About two weeks after Hermione was released they entered the great hall just to freeze dead at the sight that met them.

"Pink?", Ron said disgusted with the red, pink and frilly decorations in the great hall

"Oh!", Hermione said "Its Valentines Day!"

Harry stared at her "You actually like this.. this... travesty!"

Ron snickered "You spend too much time with Snape, mate."

They went to sit at the Gryffindor table and waited for an explanation from the head table.

"Dear students!", Lockart said, standing up and looking around. Some girls squealed in delight. The other teachers looked as if they had bitten into a lemon. "Today is the Valentines Day. The Day of giving and receiving love" Professor Sprout whispered something to Professor Vektor who choked on her tea laughing "Imagine how very shocked I was to learn that you don't celebrate it! We have to change this, I said to our beloved headmaster and he let me organize the whole thing."

Dumbledore smiled despite the death glares he received from several students and staff members.

"So as from today we are going to have a few new traditions!", Lockart smiled broadly. 'New traditions?', McGonagall mouthed to Snape, who looked appalled "First, there's the card giving, a lovely little idea from the Muggle word! For the baking talents: you can make your love a sweet treat. I'm sure you'll find a Professor to aid you" At this he glanced at Snape, who looked as if he had just smacked him in the face "Then there will be lovely little cherubs at your disposal to deliver your cards and for a little tip they might be willing to even sing it. I assure you, even one or two of the professors would be glad to receive a message like that" His colleagues looked positively alarmed at the very idea. All except Dumbledore who cut Lockart off at this moment to smoothly say

"I'm sure I count myself as one of those. Professor Lockart, thank you.", Lockart looked a little miffed but sat down gracefully "Now, I don't want to keep you from classes, go on!"

At that most of the students fled the hall. Harry was for the first time glad that he was supposedly the heir of Slytherin. That had to mean no one would attack him with a fat ugly cherub, right? Wrong.

"I can't believe she did that!", Harry said furiously and banged his bag down on the laboratory table. Snape calmly measured out a few drops from a flask, then bottled it and looked mildly interested at Harry. "She sent me a... fat, stupid, singing baby!"

"You received a cherub card?", Snape said, fighting hard against grinning, Harry sent him a withering glare

"Yes! And it was the stupidest thing in the world! In the middle of the hall... everybody heard! It was humiliating. Malfoy's going to quote it at my funeral, I bet!"

Snape let out a little laugh that he covered with a cough "Its not so bad, surely."

"You didn't hear it. It was awful!", Harry pouted "Something about my eyes and hair... Urgh... so cheesy..."

Snape hid his smile behind his hand and tried to sound neutral while he asked "Any idea who sent it?"

"Oh, I can guess!", Harry spat acidly and threw himself into his chair, crossing his arms moodily.

"Was it Miss Weasley?"

Harry threw his arms up in an annoyed motion "God - is it that obvious? Everyone's probably talking about it... I can just imagine the teachers in the staff room going on about how cute it is... Sickening!"

Snape couldn't hold off his grin at that "I heard Professor Sprout mentioning..."

"Oh god! Kill me, please...", Harry moaned putting his head in his arms and Snape burst out laughing

"I was joking, Harry.", he explained and said "I only realized she has a sweet spot for you because I'm unusually perceptive."

Harry looked hopeful, so Snape went on "And teachers very rarely discuss their students love lives."

That wasn't strictly true, but Harry didn't need to worry about another thing... Harry looked relieved at that.

"I hope she gets over herself...", he mumbled

"So you're not interested?", Snape asked carefully, Harry made a face

"What are you talking about?", he demanded, sounding sincerely affronted "Of course I'm not interested. I'm not interested in any girl that way." When Snape raised his eyebrow, he hastily added "Or any boy. Geeze, what goes on in your head?"

Snape smiled at that, so Harry was still a boy and the hormones were waiting for another day to kick in.

"And before you ask, Hermione and Ron are both just friends.", Harry said coolly, narrowing his eyes at Snape

"Alright, I'm sorry.", Snape said casually, not really meaning it "Are you going to address the matter with her?"

"No!", Harry said immediately "Of course not. She doesn't even know I know she sent that card. No reason to bring it up."

Snape shrugged, glad that the matter of girls – or boys, one never knew – was not going to come up soon. Suddenly he realized that he fully expected to be the person to talk to Harry about that. Even though the thought was frightening and embarrassing, if not downright mortifying, he still fully expected himself to be the guy for this talk. And to top it all of, he would fight anyone for that right. He looked over at Harry, who had snuggled into his chair and propped open a book at his knees. He also expected to be the one to teach the boy how to shave or give him his first hangover potion. He leaned on his desk and stared at Harry for a long while. He was not prepared to give the child away, not to those Muggles nor to anyone else. He would fight them tooth and nails. At that moment Harry looked up, his bright green eyes questioning.

"Nothing.", Snape said softly and then invited Harry into his living room to spend a quiet evening together.


It was a few weeks hence that Snape looked up at Harrys entrance with a smile and excitedly glimmering eyes. Harry was arrested by that sight and stood still.

"Professor?"

"Come here, I got an exciting project for you."

Harry came around the work bench and dropped his bag carelessly. Snape immediately picked him up and deposited him on the table, then shoved a book at him with a little more than necessary vigor.

"Felix Felicis.", Harry breathed, transfixed by the picture of the golden shimmering potion.

"There's someone who requested a batch and I received permission from the Ministry to brew it.", Snape was rubbing his hands together like a thief in front of a jewelers

"That is so cool.", Harry said slowly, completely in awe of the possibility to watch the complicated process. Because the potion could be misused, it was restricted and Potions Masters in Britain seldom got permission to produce it "Will you start now? Can I watch? Can I stay until its finished? Oh please, can I stay?"

Snape looked at him with quite some satisfaction, he reached out and ruffled his hair "I believe you can stay and watch, Harry. And look at this...", he produced a small parchment, Harry took it and scanned it

"I can help?", he squeaked and looked up with round green eyes

"That's why you're here."

Harry couldn't believe his luck.

When they both finally leaned back into the couch Harry was still smiling in a bemused way. He couldn't get the picture of the perfect golden potion out of his head. He was only twelve years old and had been able not only to witness but assist brewing this potion. Hermione would rip her hair out in jealousy. He grinned

"You look positively Slytherin with that expression.", Snape said, amused. Harry blinked and cleared his thoughts, then he smiled a little and said "I just imagined Hermiones face when I tell her what we did today."

Snape allowed a grin to spread over his face as well and then said with evil contentment "Ah, poor Miss Granger will be so disappointed..."

Harry laughed at that and looked at the seldom sight of a relaxed, smiling Snape. Harry took the time to actually look at the man. He had never realized that he looked like a completely different person when he was like this. Especially the missing robe and opened shirt collar made a huge difference, Harry thought. And the rolled up sleeves, of course. The shimmering above Snapes left forearm caught his eye again. 'Today', Harry thought 'I'll ask him what it is'. Believing that he was asking an innocent question that would possible lead to an embarrassing story he leaned forward

"Professor, do you mind telling me why you hide what's on your left forearm?"

Snape snapped out of his relaxation at once and stiffened like an animal ready to run. He looked over at Harry, searching for something and looking away relieved when he didn't find it.

He had been so stupid. He had thought about taking this child, simply side stepping the elephant in the room. Of course he would have to tell the child everything. He couldn't let him make an uneducated decision and later regretting it bitterly. He had to tell him – and not only the bad parts, but the horribly part he had played in Harrys misery.

He cleared his throat and then started slowly by lifting the glamour. The ugly tattoo came into view

"Ah!", Harry said, smiling "I thought it must be a tattoo, what else would you hide like that? When did you get it? Was it a bet or something? Does it mean something?"

Snape looked into those innocent eyes and took a deep breath

"I took it when I was seventeen, an adult in the wizarding world. I was not forced into it, I did it quite freely. I was even excited about it, stupid boy that I was... And it means something, it certainly does..."

Harry didn't understand what was going on, but this didn't seem like a funny, embarrassing story at all "Ugh... if you don't want to tell me, that's alright. I was just curious."

There it was, his opening. He could just roll down his sleeve and finish the conversation there. All would be well. He didn't believe Lucius had told Draco about his Death Eater days, so why should he tell Harry? But it wasn't the same. Harry had a choice Draco had not – he could renounce Snape, leave him disgusted with the knowledge of what he had been. And Snape had to admit it was the perverse pleasure of punishing himself for those mistakes that made him keep on talking. Not justice or fairness. He wasn't that good a man.

"It is a mark, branded in by magic. It is a seal of servitude and loyalty" he smiled bitterly "no, no in reality it is a seal of contract, branded onto a slave to mark him as property."

Harry shivered and looked uncomfortable

"I sold myself to the Dark Lord a long time ago."

Harry opened his mouth in disbelieve

"As I said, I was seventeen, turned legally an adult. My mother had died and my father was resident at Spinners End. I wanted out, we didn't have a good relationship back then. So I thought the Death Eaters – that's what he called his followers – would give me what I had craved for. Somewhere I could belong." Harry felt a pang at hearing that, he knew exactly how that felt "So I was stupid enough to sell myself to him. He branded me with this. Its a way for Death Eaters to be summoned to him whenever he wanted us there. At first I was happy, I thought I had found my place in the world. But then the ugly reality struck and I was stuck with all those other maggots craving his approval so he may one day reward them. That day would never come. In that same endeavor, to make that lunatic happy and maybe delay the next punishment, I went to spy on Albus Dumbledore." Here Snape smiled as if he was lost in a fond childhood memory "I overheard... something of importance but I was thrown out of the Inn before they could... finish their conversation."

Snape paused and absentmindedly rubbed the Dark Mark

"I went back to report to my master, he was very happy with me. It was my last desperate hope that finally the day for my reward had come. It must be this. I had done everything and now I had even brought him... this. He smiled at me, his horrible inhuman smile and turned me away. Pleased enough not to punish me but not so pleased to show his... I shudder to call it gratitude. I had finally learned there was nothing to gain from him. But I was too scared to renounce him. You couldn't just walk up to the Dark Lord and tell him you quit. There was always only one exist." He was gripping his arm so tightly now, Harry feared his hand must be growing bloodless "Then he announced that he wanted to kill... you and your parents. I had known your parents, I had been close to your mother once. We were childhood friends. At that point in time I was contemplating ending my miserably life, but knowing I could protect her I went to Dumbledore and told him everything I knew. He protected your whole family. But there was still a reward pending, wasn't there?" He gave an ironical little laugh "I turned to the Dark Lord so he would spare her. The filthy lies I had to tell bear no repeating, but I would stop at nothing to secure her safety. And then he killed your parents and vanished."

By now Snape was digging his fingernails into his flesh ruthlessly, without even noticing it. Not able to bear it any longer Harry put his small, warm hand atop of his

"Professor? Please stop."

Snape blinked and looked up at Harry, he looked as if he had forgotten the child was even there. Then he stared at his small hand on his and jerked his arm away, too ashamed to allow any contact between them. But he released his arm and little half crescent shapes from his nails were visible beside the Dark Mark. Snape waited, then looked up at Harry, who seemed at a loss to what to do now. He sighed and cleared up what he thought was Harrys problem

"The information I gained that night and told the Dark Lord: It led him directly to your parents. Without me, they wouldn't have died."

Harry blinked at this and then nodded "I guessed that much."

"Then why are you still here?", Snape blurted out, confused and a bit harsh.

"You said it yourself. One mistake is not going to make me abandon you. You made mistakes. Everyone does. You did not want to kill them, you did not kill them. When you realized what you had done you were sorry and tried everything to make it right. Voldemort killed my parents. You didn't force him." Snape was shaking his head, ready to argue, but Harry wouldn't let him. "Sir. I always thought about one thing, since Dumbledore told me. He said it was my mothers sacrifice that saved me. But there must have been a lot of families, a lot of parents who had been ready to die for their children and were killed by Voldemort or his people, right? Where was the difference then? I think the difference was this, sir: My mother had a way out, she could have let Voldemort kill me, because he wanted to reward you with her. She would have survived. But she didn't, she rather saved me."

Snape stared at him thinking about this. It was a possibility "In a way you could even say I was the cause for her death. But I don't blame me. I was a baby, I couldn't have stopped her. The same way you couldn't have stopped Voldemort once he started."

Snape stared at him and licked his lips, not knowing how to respond, Harry leaned forward and said "Do you want me to hate you, sir?"

Snape automatically shook his head. He did not want this green eyed boy to hate him the same way he had not wanted his mother to hate him.

"Then you will have to accept that I won't hate you, I won't blame you. Your intentions weren't bad, maybe a bit selfish. And in the end, it was Voldemort who pulled the trigger, not you."

Snape was far too much of a coward to challenge this. Too Slytherin to fight for justice, the hatred he deserved. He merely nodded and let the childs smile warm his chest. There was more than one way to atone for his sins, he realized. He wanted to atone for what he had stolen from Harry by giving it back to him – a parent.


The End.
End Notes:
Thank you all for your reviews! I'm sorry I didn't make it yesterday with the chapter, life is a bit crazy right now, that's why.
I am working on a sequel for third year right now, working title is "love is a haven". I've figured out a way to include Lupin in the story and still working on Sirius. What would you like to see in the last chapter of this story and what should be included in the sequel?
On the sidelines I've been working on several other Severitus stories, that I hope you'll enjoy as well, I'll keep you posted.

On another note: I have been playing with the idea of reading my stories and posting it on youtube as a kind of "audiobook" - would you like that? If you would like me to notify you when that happens, leave me a comment with a request please.

Next time:

Chapter 7 – What remains in The End

Next chapter (last one!) all truths will be revealed, characters will get and loose everything - in that order? There's no more to tell than that :)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3087