Drifting by relative1983
Past Featured StorySummary: Remus and Severus are being sent out to find Harry, after Hedwig shows up bloodied and nervous. When they find Harry they are in for a surprise. Will Harry ever recover?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 46871 Read: 88092 Published: 01 Feb 2005 Updated: 01 Nov 2005
Back at Hogwarts by relative1983

When the tugging on his body was fading, Harry noticed he wasn’t in the hospital anymore. He had -however- landed in a hospital bed. The room he was in, was very white, filled with sunlight and two men next to him who went by the names of Remus Lupin and Severus Snape. Harry, having no idea what had just happened, decided to voice his questions.

“Ehm, so what happened?” he asked in a near whisper.

Surprised by his soft voice Severus and Remus watched him for a moment until he wanted to crawl under the blankets to avoid the stares. Noticing this, they stopped staring at him.

“Well, we used a portkey to transport us from the hospital, to Hogwarts Infirmary. If everything is going as planned the Headmaster has called Madame Pomfrey, the nurse, back from her family visit, so she can have a look at your condition.”

Now it was Harry’s turn to stare in obvious surprise. He had thought he would have to heal the normal way, but by the sounds of it, wizards could have some other ways of healing.

“I have another question, sirs. How am I supposed to call you?”

Remus and Severus looked at each other for a moment. Their eyes showed their mutual agreement.

“You can call us Remus and Severus. After all the school year hasn’t started yet, so we aren’t Professors right now, and Sir just sounds dreadfully impersonal at the moment.” With this said Severus walked over to the doors to see if Pomfrey was coming already.

Just as he opened the door, a short woman strode in. She reminded Harry of an overgrown mother hen clucking at her small chicks.

“Prey do tell me, Mr. Potter, that you did not manage to get in here even though it is the summer holidays! I see you enough as it is during the school year, don’t you agree? Now then let’s just se....” her voice trailed off as she caught a good look at Harry.

“Oh dear. I can see what has gotten our Headmaster so worried about. If you don’t mind me saying so, you look a bit messy.”

Harry chuckled, as far as he could, with his still slightly sore ribs. He rather liked the way she was behaving right now.

Pomfrey pushed Remus out of her way, and started running her wand over Harry’s body. A list appeared next to her, and it seemed to list every injury he had.

“Well my boy. You certainly had a lot of injuries. It seems however, that your magical energies are also severely depleted. My guess is that you unconsciously used your magic to keep your body alive. And a good thing it did that, too.”

Remus looked up sharply when Pomfrey started talking about his magical energy levels. No wonder Hedwig had been having trouble finding him. Owls usually searched for people by their magical energies. Although this of course didn’t work for muggles.

“I can give you a potion that will regrow your lost kidney, and put a salve on that nasty scar you’ve gotten from the operation. Also I shall use this salve on the other bruises and cuts you still have. I’m afraid I won’t be able to heal your eye, but I can alter the vision of your other eye. And as for your arms and legs: I’ll give a potion that will speed up the healing of the broken bones. I cannot do anything else for that, since it will interfere with the work the muggles did with it. If I wanted to heal the bones in your arms and legs, I would have to break them again first, and I’d rather not do that.”

Harry just nodded. My goodness, he was going to have two kidneys again, and no more scars. Wow, was all he could really think of.

Pomfrey walked of to a cabinet that stood at the other end of the Infirmary.

She took a potion and some pots from the cabinet and walked back to where Harry was lying.

“If you two would please help me with this?” she asked the two men.

They nodded and waited for instructions.

“Remus, hold him up would you, then I can give him the potion.”

So Remus helped Harry sit up and kept him sitting up, until he had swallowed all of the disgusting potion.

Then Pomfrey muttered a quick spell and Harry was left in nothing but his boxers. Since he had spent quite some time in the hospital, he was used to having other people bath him or anything, so he wasn’t ashamed, only a bit uncomfortable. After all, one of these people was his teacher, right?

“Now, Severus, if you would please put the salve on all the scars and bruises he has, I will give him the other potion to help his bones heal quicker. Remus, you just make sure you hold him so Severus can reach all the places.”

Both men nodded and went to work.

Harry relaxed in the embrace from Remus and the gentle way Severus applied the salve on his body. He could almost feel the salve working. Half of his bruises was fading fast, as well as the scars. Slowly he fell asleep again.

Noticing Harry going slack in his embrace, Remus decided to have a quick look at his face. His worry faded when he noticed Harry had just fallen asleep. Careful not to wake him, he turned him around, so Severus could work on his back.

Severus was being really careful. Harry was extremely thin and had been lying in bed for quite some time, so he wouldn’t want to risk hurting him more. Besides, it was nice work, just putting the salve on. It made him feel less hopeless about the situation. He was determined to find out if there wasn’t anything at all that could be done for the boy’s eye. At least he would have good vision in his one eye.

Finishing putting the salve on, Severus straightened up. Remus turned Harry back around, being careful not to hurt his arms or legs. Then he put the covers back in place and walked over to Severus.

“I think we should go and visit the Headmaster now, don’t you agree?”

Severus nodded and silently they left their young charge, and went to find the Headmaster.

They finally found the Headmaster in the kitchens. Not really the place they had thought him to be, but there he was, sipping a cup of tea and talking with several house elves.

Apparently he had sensed them coming in, for when Remus and Severus entered they were offered a cup of tea as well. And the famous lemon drop, though neither of them took it.

“So, I assume getting Harry out of the hospital, has succeeded?” Albus asked.

“Yes, we have. It took us a bit longer, because he was tired and needed a good nights rest, before we brought him here.”

“And what of his injuries? Can they be healed?”

At this, Severus sighed inwardly. Just great, he hated not being able to give good news. And Albus did look tired. But things like this could not be skipped, so he went ahead and told Albus of the injuries Harry had had.

Albus just listened and the twinkle in his eyes seemed to dim slightly with every injury that was not to be healed by Pomfrey, was told about.

“So, he has one blind eye? And he will need training for his arms and legs, you say?” Here he looked straight into the eyes of Severus.

He nodded. Harry would need a lot of training, but also rest, if they wanted his magical level going up again.

“And what about his memory loss? Can that be helped in any way?”

Here, the pause was longer. Severus had given it some serious thought.

“I think, and this is only assumption, he might start to remember things by having to look at it, or being told about something. It could also be, that his memory never will return. Or perhaps I could try and find a spell or potion to help regain his memory, but I’ve never heard of one before.”

Albus nodded. Remus had kept quiet until now.

“Albus, where is he going to stay? He’s been in a hospital for several weeks already, and I don’t think he will fancy having to stay in another hospital for who knows how long!”

This was true of course. Albus seemed to have reached a conclusion about that however.

Severus suddenly started to dread it.

“Why, I think I have a very good idea for this. Why don’t I decorate one of the older apartments we have in the castle, so you two can stay there with Harry. This way Harry can have visitors, you will be able to use classrooms, the Library and the Potions cabinet. The Infirmary can be used as well, even though Pomfrey will return home soon, and it might help Harry regain his memory. And of course we mustn’t forget, now the wards of his family are fading, he is best protected here.”

With a twinkle in his eyes, and a twirl of his robes, the esteemed Headmaster of Hogwarts walked out of the kitchens, muttering something along the lines of: “Blue is a nice colour, or perhaps purple? Would he like moving animals? Kittens perhaps.....”

With a groan both Severus and Remus banged their heads upon the kitchen table.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=309