Drifting by relative1983
Past Featured StorySummary: Remus and Severus are being sent out to find Harry, after Hedwig shows up bloodied and nervous. When they find Harry they are in for a surprise. Will Harry ever recover?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 46871 Read: 88087 Published: 01 Feb 2005 Updated: 01 Nov 2005
Fun but also Panick. by relative1983

Later that day, Harry awoke to the silence, being broken by a tapping on one of the windows. When he turned his head slightly, he could see that there was an owl with a letter trying to get in through the window.

Looking around he notices that both Severus and Remus seem to be missing. Softly he decides to call one of them, for he himself cannot let the owl in.

“Severus, Remus? Are you there? There’s an owl that wants to come in. Can you please come?”

There was no answer. Harry decided to try again, maybe they didn’t hear him. After all, his voice was still soft, since he hadn’t used it for so long.

But again there was no answer. Harry started to panick just a little. The owl seemed to have flown away, but Harry still called out to the two men he had come to like, and who were supposed to be here right now.

The two men in question had decided that they would look for a potion to help Harry get his memories back, in Harry’s secret room. They had thought that Harry would sleep for quite some time, and therefore deemed it safe for them both to go. So when Harry awoke, they were still in the secret room, looking in old and forgotten potions book, untill Severus called:

“Finally! I’ve found it. Let’s take this book and go back to the room.” After looking at his watch, he noticed they had been looking for a potion for almost four hours now and it was time for dinner.

Quickly they walked down the hallways, to be stopped only, because an owl was tapping on the window in a hallway. Remus opened the window to let the owl in, and then noticed the letter was for him. Deciding to wait with opening the letter untill they were back in the room again, Remus put the letter in his pocket and together Severus and Remus walked on.

When they came to the portret with the children playing on it, they noticed however, that the children were not playing at all, but were looking around, as if searching for something.

“Finally! You are back, we send word to the other portrets to search for you, but they could not find you. Harry needs you!” the girl with the ball in her hands nearly shouted at them.

Hearing this, Severus quickly said: “Blessing” and they nearly ran in the room.

Here they were greeted by soft sounds coming from the living room. Remus heart nearly broke again, when he noticed that Harry was looking around desperately with his eye, and softly, with a hoarse voice, calling for either him or Severus. He was also sobbing, and seemed panicked.

Swiftly both he and Severus walked towards the boy.

“Ssh, it’s allright Harry, we’re here, we’re back. What happened?”

Harry could do not much more than lie there and cry. He had been so afraid that they had left him, that he was alone, although he didn’t know why this frightened him so. It was just a feeling he had, that he was so afraid to be left alone.

Because he couldn’t use his arms yet, he just lay still when Remus took him in a comfortable hug and started rubbing his back.

“I was afraid that you weren’t here. There was an owl with a letter, but I couldn’t open the window, and when I called for either one of you, you didn’t came. I thought you had left.”

Remus only held him closer, while Severus went to collect a calming potion for Harry. After Harry had drank some of the potion, he was calm enough to listen to the apologies from both Remus and Severus.

“So, where have you been then? Since you were far enough away not to hear me, although I cannot shout very loud right now. I was just wondering..” Harry trailed of, seeing as how the men looked at each other.

“Well,” Severus said, “We’ve been looking for a potion or something that could help restore your memories. And we’ve found it. It’s a complicated potion, called ‘Potion Memorie’ (A/N: I know, not very original, but it’ll do). And it wil take about two weeks to brew, so maybe you will already get your memories back in the mean time, but we’ll see.”

Severus had gotten rather enthousiastic during his talk, since it was about a complicated potion that he had never made before, and he really wanted to try.

Harry smiled and said: “You sound just like a child that can choose a new present.” And he chuckled softly.

Severus snapped his mouth shut, and Remus looked at him, afraid he was going to blow up at Harry. Harry, sensing the change of atmosphere, stopped chuckling and said in a stammering voice: “I, I’m sorry, if that upset you. I, I just thought you sounded like it, just as happy. It’s not an insult or anything. Please, don’t be angry…”

For some reason, the thought that this man would be angry with him, made Harry sad.

Severus just looked at him for a few more moments and then a soft smile actually played around his lips. “Hmpf, well, since you ask so nicely for me not to get angry, I think I will be able to forgive you.”

And with that. Remus burst out laughing and the atmosphere quickly changed into a more cheerfull one.

After they stopped laughing, Remus decided to start making dinner, while Severus set the table and then started looking at the potion he was going to make. Harry could do no more than lie on the bed and look at him, and listen to Remus making noise in the kitchen. When he heard Severus sighing for what seemed to be the hundreth time in like, five minutes, he decided to ask something.

“Severus, what is wrong? You sound a bit frustrated about something.”

Severus sharply looked up at Harry. He hadn’t expected the boy to have grown so much in his observational skills, although, from reading the diary, he must have possesed those before the accident.

Carefully thinking his answer over he said: “Yes, I have been reading the recipie for the potion, but it is rather complicated, even for a Potion’s Master, and Remus won’t be such great help, since he can only help prepare the ingredients. But there has to be a third person involved, and well, Albus is too bussy for it.”

Harry thought this over. “What is that third person supposed to be doing then?”

Severus looked up at him again. “Well, this person has to read the ingredients aloud, since it is required for the potion, although I do not know why, and this person also needs to recite a part of a spell that has to be used, and since the spell has to be said by three persons..” he trailed off.

Harry beamed. This was something that even he could help with, he was sure of it.

“So, I can help, it can’t be that difficult, right?”

Severus gave a small smile. Actually, he had already guessed Harry would say something like that. Apparantly, the accident didn’t change something like this in his character. And helping others was something he had learned, Harry would always do.

“If you want, and if you think you are up to it, than yes, you can help.” Severus didn’t even notice his smile growing wider when seeing how happy he made Harry, by letting him do something usefull.

Just then, Remus came walking out of the kitchen, with plates steaming with food. Harry heard his stomach give a growl. He grinned sheepishly at the two men.

Severus carefully lifted Harry out of the bed and put him in the wheelchair and sat him at the table. Harry smelled the food appreciativally. Remus had made roasted beef, with steamed potatoes, and a salad. Severus cut his meat in little parts and blew on it, to make it cool down a bit. Then he started feeding Harry, who appreciated the food, by making small noises like a cat could do. Remus observed this, while eating his own meal. He realised that Harry with all his memories would have never let him and Severus get so close, and they would never have been able to get a glimps of the carefree boy that Harry always wanted to be. In his mind, he grew sad for a few moments at the thoughts of what Sirius would have done if he had ever had the chance of reading the diary of Harry. That was one of the things Remus was glad for. At least Sirius hadn’t known about that happening to Harry. Sirius would surely have killed the Dursleys and have done great damage to Dumbledore for placing Harry with those people.

He was pulled back from his mind, by the sound of apologising. When he looked up, he saw that Severus had apparantly tried to aim a fork laden with food at Harry’s mouth, but the food had ended up on Harry’s clothes. Severus looked a bit uncertain of what he should do know, and so Remus remembered using magic for something like this, and with a wave of his wand, the mess had left Harry’s clothes. Harry for his part, was delighted by another display of magic, and looked from the fork to Severus as if wanting him to spill some more food.

Remus chuckled, and took the fork from Severus while saying: “Why don’t you eat for now Severus, and I give Harry his food. After that I think we can give him a small demonstration of magic, don’t you think?”

Severus, who had been a bit peeved, for making such a stupid mistake, nodded since he had also seen the look Harry gave him and the fork. Inwardly he smiled, for he had never thought it possible to actually have fun with a boy he had been fighting with for the last few years.

Dinner then finished quickly and after putting the dirty dishes away for the house elves to clean up, Severus and Remus stood in front of Harry to show him some more magic. Remus had told Severus that for now they would only do simple things, so they conjured flowers, Severus changed a table into a horse, and back, Remus let things hover, and float, and they chainged the colour of several things in the room. Harry thought everything was wonderfull, and he was smiling beautifully.

After the demonstration, Severus and Remus told Harry about the plans they had made.

“Allright Harry. From tomorrow on, we will give you a potion that will help you get your muscle strenght back. Also we will start with excercises to help you. So we hope that by next week you will be able to feel something again in your fingers, or toes. It will take a while for you to heal completely, but not as long as it would have, if you had stayed in a muggle hospital. Also, we will start brewing the potion from next week and then on. We will start on the theory of magic, so you get basics from that at least, and we will have time for rest, and fun.”

Harry just nodded. He really wanted to ask them something now, but wasn’t too sure how to go about it.

Sensing his uneasiness, Remus decided to ask him. “What is bothering you Harry? Is there something wrong?”

Harry nodded, but kept quiet. Severus said: “Well, if you are not going to tell us, we cannot help.”

Harry looked at the men and said softly: “I just wanted to ask, if one of you will help me take a bath. I had one two days ago, and I really could use one again.”

This wasn’t entirely what the men had been thinking of, but after looking at each other they decided that they would take turns in helping Harry with something like this. Besides, swimming in the pool would eventually be a part of the training. Although for now, they would just get him in the bath, wash him and dry him, but still.

Remus decided that he would help first, as he was a bit more comfortable doing something like that, then Severus.

So they drove the wheelchair to the bathroom, while Severus picked up clean pyjamas for Harry, some towels and soap. Remus filled the tub, and while the tub was filling he undressed Harry. Harry didn’t mind, he was used to it, since he had been washed in the hospital as well. Remus lowered Harry in the tub, with the help of Severus, who was keeping Harry’s head above the water.

Being really carefull with the arms and legs of Harry, Remus soaped him in, then washed it of and after doing Harry’s hair, they let him lie in the tub for a little longer, since he seemed even more relaxed in there. When he started to shiver, they pulled him out and dried him off, now having his arms and legs immobilised by a spell so they wouldn’t be damaged again.

By the time they finished doing this, Harry was nearly asleep and he was oblivious of everything by the time they put him in his bed.

Feeling satisfied with themselves Severus and Remus just stood by his bed for a few moments, before Severus also went to bed, while Remus prepared for a night in his special room, as it was the full moon.

What Severus didn’t know, was that his night wouldn’t be as peacefull as he had hoped, and that a certain black-haired boy would be the main reason for that.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=309