Drifting by relative1983
Past Featured StorySummary: Remus and Severus are being sent out to find Harry, after Hedwig shows up bloodied and nervous. When they find Harry they are in for a surprise. Will Harry ever recover?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 46871 Read: 88260 Published: 01 Feb 2005 Updated: 01 Nov 2005
Lost by relative1983

In London, Grimmauld Place

“Allright Hedwig, it’s ok. Calm down girl, we’re just finishing this letter for Harry and then you can finally go back to him.” Hermione said, while she wrote a few more words on the parchment.

“Yes Hedwig, you’ll see him soon. Harry will be happy to see you. Now could you please stop screeching?!” Ron nearly shouted the last part.

“Ron! She’s probably only anxious to go and see Harry again after three weeks. It’s only logical. Too bad we couldn’t let her out for a bit of flying, since it would attract to much attention.” Said Hermione.

Ron nodded. “Well, the only strange thing is, that she has been anxious for three weeks already. I mean, you can only be anxious for so long, can’t you?” he said.

Hermione looked thoughtful at that. “Could be. It is a bit weird, but still. She’s never been that long gone from him before, so that could be it.”

She was in fact, anxious herself, but didn’t want to show it too much. There was enough going on, without them worrying over Hedwig’s mood.

Finally finishing the letter, she then proceeded to tie it to Hedwig’s leg, who was suddenly filled with tension and waiting to take of.

They walked down the stairs. Mrs. Weasley was waiting for them. They would let Hedwig go through the window in one of the rooms downstairs. It wouldn’t do to attract attention from the Muggles or some other wizards.

When the window was opened, Hedwig took a mighty leap and flew away quickly.

With a certain rising feeling of dread Ron and Hermione watched her go, before closing the window and going back to their rooms.

St. Peter’s hospital

It was now a week since Peter had woken up. He still had the breathing tube in his mouth, and needed quite a lot of painkillers, but at least he wasn’t unconscious for most of the time. He did sleep a lot though. Peter was a bit disappointed that he couldn’t remember who he was, but was quite content at the moment, and didn’t really want to find out just yet.

Dr. Willie was happy to see the progress in his young patient. Since Peter couldn’t really tell or remember, they decided that by his height and looks he was probably around 13 to 14 years old (A/N: how wrong they are!) In a few weeks they would begin his training. He would need to learn how to use his arms and legs again. But at the moment his arms and legs were made immobile, so they could heal properly.

Today however, Peter was to get of the breathing tube. He would have to use an oxygen mask, but at least he would be able to talk soon.

Dr. Willie made his way over to the bed of Peter. At the moment nurse John was with him. Peter seemed to really like his nurses. He unconsciously craved for the attention and loving gestures he would get from them. Right now John was gently washing Peter’s face and neck. They had to wait with giving him a good bath, till it was safe enough to move him around some more.

“Well Peter, you will be pleased to hear that I’m going to remove the tube today.” Dr. Willie said.

Peter looked immediately a lot happier. His eye light up. He couldn’t really smile, but his eye made clear he was glad to get rid of the tube.

“You must understand that it won’t be a nice feeling when we remove it. Also, you can’t speak just yet, so don’t try to tell us stories, when it’s out. We will give you an oxygen mask, because your body needs to have the oxygen without having to go through to much trouble getting it by itself. Do you understand that?”

Peter blinked his eye once. His other eye was still covered with gauze.

John was finished with washing and went to get a packet with water, so Peter could sip that for his throat.

Dr. Willie then took the tube and instructed Peter that he should relax. Seeing that Peter was as relaxed as possible at such a moment, he swiftly took the tube out, being careful not to damage the vocal cords.

Peter gagged out of reflex, but since he got his food via his IV, he couldn’t really throw anything up. John then made him sip some water. Peter seemed very eager to sip the water, but he hadn’t had anything to eat or drink via his mouth and throat, so they had to be careful.

Then Dr. Willie placed the oxygen mask on Peter’s face and said: “Well Peter, I think you can try to talk tomorrow. It’s quite late already so I will leave you with John here. I believe he has a nice book he’s reading you from?”

Peter nodded. At least now the tube was out, he could nod for a bit.

“Good. I’ll see you tomorrow then.” With that Dr. Willie left his bed.

John went to sit on the bed, being careful not to disturb any instruments, and took out a book called ‘Artemis Fowl’. He then started to read the story to the teen, who seemed quite content just listening, while slowly dozing of into a calm sleep.

London, Grimmauld Place

It was a few days after they had sent Hedwig out to Harry, that Ron and Hermione entered the kitchen to find Hedwig tapping the window restlessly.

Quickly they opened the window. Remus, who just entered the room, looked up, with a small smile.

“Finally, some news from Harry. I wonder how his holiday was.” He said.

Ron and Hermione opened the letter that was attached to Hedwig’s leg. She seemed rather agitated and restless.

Opening the letter, Ron and Hermione’s smiles faltered. Remus asked concerned: “What is it? Something bad happened to him?”

“It’s not a letter from Harry. It’s our own letter. But that would mean that Hedwig hasn’t been able to find or reach Harry. Would he be alright, Remus?” asked Hermione, her voice wavering a bit.

Remus looked panicked for a moment. After all, Harry was his unofficial godson since a few weeks ago.

“I don’t know. As far as I know, Dumbledore has had no reason to believe something is wrong with Harry, but since there is a meeting of the Order tonight, I’ll just ask him.”

Ron and Hermione nodded and waited till the meeting would begin.

As the meeting was drawing to a close, Remus decided to ask Dumbledore about Harry.

“Albus, I just need to ask you something.”

Albus looked up at Remus with a questioning gaze. Snape, who sat beside Albus, looked up as well. Most of the other members of the Order were already leaving or quietly conversing in small groups.

“Well Remus, what is it that you need to know?” Albus said.

“You know that Hedwig, Harry’s owl, was staying here since he would be on holiday, don’t you?” Remus ignored the mutters from Snape who said something like: “Of course, brat enjoys a holiday, while we’re working.”

Albus nodded and shot a glance at Snape, that clearly stated ‘Shut up for now!’ only then in nicer words.

“Well, a few days ago Ron and Hermione send her of with a letter. The three weeks were up, so Hedwig could return to Harry. She came back today with a letter. Or that is what we thought. It was actually the letter Ron and Hermione had written. Since Hedwig had been able to find practically anyone everywhere, she either didn’t find Harry, or couldn’t reach him for some reason. We were wondering if something might be wrong at Harry’s place.” Remus nearly pleaded by now.

Albus’ mood became a bit somber. “Well, I’ve had no indication that there was something wrong, but since Mrs. Figg is away on a mission, I haven’t got anyone on Privet Drive just yet. So perhaps we need to send someone to go and check.”

Snape snorted. This earned him a glare from Remus.

“Well then,” Albus said, “I believe I shall just have to send you and Remus, Severus.”

Severus looked like he wanted nothing more than to verbally lash out at the headmaster, but he kept his control and nodded. “Fine, we’ll go check on him. Probably took several more days of his holiday.”

With that said he and Remus made their way out of Grimmauld Place, after telling Ron and Hermione where they went. Ron gave them some weird advice about looking in the cupboard under the stairs, whatever that meant.

Privet Drive

Apparating on Magnolia Crescent they walked briskly to Privet Drive number 4. Snape glared at the commonlyness of the neighborhood.

“Don’t tell me, that this is where Potter actually lives.” He said when they stood in front of the house. It looked like there was no-one at home.

After knocking they decided to just go in.

“Alohamora” whispered Remus and the door opened. They quickly stepped in and looked around in the living room. Pictures of a fat boy were covering the walls and furniture. No pictures of Harry however. Snape found this a bit weird.

They walked upstairs to find a lavish decorated master bedroom with more pictures of the parents with the fat boy. “This must be his aunt, uncle and cousin then.” Said Remus, wondering where they kept pictures of Harry.

The next room they stepped into was filled with an expensive bed, a computer and other toys. Lucky for them Remus knew a bit from Muggles, and recognized some of the stuff.

The next room was clearly the guest room. It was neat, with quite a lot of flowers.

The last room came as quite a surprise. It was the smallest of all. In a corner the floor was covered with broken toys. There was a simple bed, with a small mattress and a thin sheet. Also there was an old desk. The only reason to think this was Harry’s room, was for the fact his trunk stood in a corner.

Remus decided to look into it. His school supplies were in there, and very unfortunately, his wand as well. (A/N: the wards would protect him around his family, and he wasn’t allowed to take his wand with him, and furthermore, the thing would have broken or caught fire in the crash, so this is why the wand is in the trunk) Snape looked disapprovingly at the room.

“I don’t see any sign that he actually lives here in the summer. Why would that be?” he asked aloud.

“Frankly I don’t know.” Said Remus. He was still looking in the trunk, till a small booklet caught his eye. It appeared to be a diary. Even though he didn’t want to intrude the privacy of Harry’s life, he decided to take it with him. Then he shrunk the trunk and accioed for more of Harry’s private stuff. For a moment he wondered if his spell was wrong, because nothing came, but when he accioed for something else, it came. It appeared all Harry’s belongings were in the trunk. Shrugging this of for now, he and Snape went downstairs again, where they decided to look in the cupboard.

It was a cramped space. In it lay an old mattress. Looking closer Remus saw that someone had carved something in the back wall. Squinting in the dark he could make out the words ‘Harry’s palace’. Letting these words sink in, he leaped a bit when Snape asked him what was so interesting.

“It’s just that it says ‘Harry’s palace’. I wonder why he would need to write something like that in a cupboard.” Remus looked puzzled at Snape, maybe he could figure this out.

Snap thought back at the times when he glimpsed Potter’s memories. There had been some in a dark, small space, but surely, they wouldn’t put there nephew in a cupboard? He needed time to think it over.

They went outside where they saw one of the neighbors.

“Excuse us sir,” Remus said, “could you please tell us, if the Dursleys came back from the holidays yet?”

The neighbour looked at the two weird men (they had their robes on) and said: “Well, They should have arrived three days ago, but they haven’t. Since they are usually very on time, maybe something has happened?”

Remus said his thanks and together they went back to Grimmauld Place.

Grimmauld Place

“We’re sorry Albus, but it appears the Dursleys and Harry have just vanished in really thin air.” They concluded their report.

Albus looked thoughtful again, until the sound of Hedwig screeching, drew his attention.

“Perhaps his loyal owl might find him. We could give it a try. I’ll send her a small note, for if Harry can’t answer himself, someone else could do it for him. Let’s just hope it will work.”

With that he wrote a small note, attached it to Hedwig’s leg and let her take of.

From this moment on, Harry was officially lost.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=309