Drifting by relative1983
Past Featured StorySummary: Remus and Severus are being sent out to find Harry, after Hedwig shows up bloodied and nervous. When they find Harry they are in for a surprise. Will Harry ever recover?
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Remus
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry, SuperPower! Harry
Takes Place: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 46871 Read: 88368 Published: 01 Feb 2005 Updated: 01 Nov 2005
Found by relative1983

Remus and Snape were anxiously waiting to hear what the note said. They did notice the twinkle in Dumbledore’s eyes had diminished somewhat.

“Well, Albus, what does it say? Is Harry all right?” Remus asked. He was wringing his hands with worry.

“Harry did not send us this note. I shall read it to you.” Albus cleared his throat and read the note.

“Dear Professor Dumbledore, and friends of Harry,

I am doctor Williams and work in St. Peter’s hospital in Rosemary. I am very happy, and rather curious about the owl (Hedwig?) that suddenly showed up in our hospital. I am happy, because now we know the name of our patient. We had taken to calling him Peter, since he has lost his memories. Harry has been with us for five weeks already. The first two weeks he spent in a coma, since he was so seriously injured. He was involved in a car crash. Three other people died in that car crash, possibly his family. We didn’t have any clues on his identity, other than guessing his age. We hope you can come and visit him soon. It could help regain his memory. We will start his training soon, since he will have to learn how to use his arms and legs soon. Send this owl back to us, or take her with you when you come, so we’ll know for sure you are the right person(s).

Yours Sincerely, Dr. Williams.”

There was a long silence after that.

Snape decided to voice his thoughts on this. “So, he has no memories of who he is, what has happened and so on? He might not even remember he’s a wizard. This could be very difficult. It appears he is in a muggle hospital after all.”

Remus nodded. He was too dumbstruck to think much. Harry, now his unofficial godson, didn’t remember a thing by the looks of it. How was he going to explain about his parents, about Sirius and the life he was to live? Could he even do that?

Albus thought about it. “Well, it seems that this could cause a problem. I think it’s best if you two went to see him. I shall write a note that you can give to that doctor. Perhaps I shall include a charm so that he will know where you will be taking Harry, and then forget about it afterwards. After all, we cannot leave Harry there and he might heal faster when he’s here. If his family has died in the car crash I’m afraid the magical wards will soon be failing.”

Snape and Remus looked at each other. Damn, if the wards were gone, than Voldemort would have no trouble at all with finding Harry. They had to get him out of there.

“Fine, how soon can we leave?” said Snape.

“Hm, I think it’s best if you wait till nightfall. So Hedwig won’t be noticed too much. After all, we have to keep her visible for the doctor, but not for everyone around. Also, the note I make with the charm will take some time. I suggest you go in and look for some muggle clothes to wear. It wouldn’t do to have you show up in full wizarding robes, after all.” Albus’ eyes twinkled again.

Snape and Remus complied and walked out of the office, leaving Albus to make the note and the charm.

Remus walked to the guest room he always used when he was in the castle, while Snape walked on to the dungeons.

After an hour or so, they both met in the Great Hall for some dinner.

Snape was dressed in black jeans, and a long-sleeved black shirt on top. Even though it was warm, he couldn’t wear something short-sleeved; his Dark Mark would be a bit conspicuous after all.

Remus was wearing a bit threadbare pair of jeans, and a shirt that stated: “Let the animal come out and play.” Snape raised his eyebrows at that.

Remus took the hint and said: “Yes, I know what it says. It was a gift from Sirius, so you can guess where the humor comes from.” Snape snorted.

They both weren’t eating so very much. Thoughts of what they would find, and what to do, arose in their minds. After waiting long enough, they both walked to Albus’ office.

Even Albus wasn’t up to his normal cheering state. He only looked at them seriously, gave them the note, put a spell on Hedwig and walked them out the front doors.

After walking out of the grounds, Snape and Remus apparated to a park in Rosemary. It wouldn’t attract so much attention and they would walk to the hospital. Since it was still summer, the night was warm and it wasn’t so dark just yet. In silence they walked on in the directions Hedwig took them. She was flying a bit ahead of them till they saw the hospital.

It looked like a normal Muggle hospital, so after taking a deep breath, hoping they would indeed find Harry in there, they walked in. Hedwig was sitting on Remus’ shoulder, no one but the people who it mattered too, would be able to see her. So this included Snape, Remus, Dr. Williams and of course Harry. What they didn’t know yet was that the two nurses Harry had, would also see the owl.

< Dr. Williams’ POV>

It was several days since I had met the owl with that strange letter. I hoped I had done the right thing by sending a letter back. I just hope someone will come soon. Peter, no Harry now, would need people that were familiar around him. It would certainly help regain his memory. At least, I hope it will. It could be he will never regain his memory ever again.

The last couple of days were peaceful. Harry was excited at the prospect of people knowing him and coming to visit. When I said that his name might be Harry, he told me it certainly sounded right to him, but this could also be happiness of finding out more of himself.

Tonight we are going to take a good look at his injured eye. The gauze will have to come off. I’m just worried that he won’t be able to see through his eye any more. I think the glass has made too much nerve damage to have been repaired by simply removing the glass. We’ll see it soon. I’m walking to his room right now. He’s looking happy to see me. He knows we’ll start training his arms and legs soon and he’s certainly eager to begin. Of course, lying on a bed for three weeks already isn’t pleasant, certainly not for a teenager. He’s still got quite a lot of recovery ahead of him, but I’m sure he will manage and come out either as good as before, or at least nearly as good as before, since we both don’t know how well off his body was before the accident. Ah well, it seems I’m dwelling in my own thoughts for too long, since he is giving me a piercing gaze. He’s good at those by the way. Hm, let’s just concentrate on his eye for now.

< Harry’s POV (used to be Peter)>

Oh my, I’m so excited! I mean lying in this bed is so boring, and I couldn’t remember anything from my past. And then this owl shows up with a note stating my name. I can’t believe it actually. Wish I could go and pinch myself in my arm to see if I’m dreaming. But since I can’t move my arms, or fingers or something except my head and back, I’ll have to keep thinking I’m not dreaming.

Today is going to be special too. I mean they are finally going to take of the gauze on my eye. The doctor did say I might not be able to see through it, but still, the gauze is getting irritating, so it might not be so bad. And I can’t even remember what it’s like to have two working eyes. The doctor said I might need to get new glasses. I’m starting to get a headache because I’m not wearing any right now. But it would be in the way too much. Besides I’m not awake for much longer than 5 hours a day at the most!

Finally Dr. Willie is coming over. He explains again of what he is going to do. Then he takes the gauze off. I can’t open my eye just yet, they put something on it, so they will stay closed. But they’re pulling it off now. Dr. Willie says I’m allowed to open my eye now. Even though I know I might not see anything, I still have hope. It certainly hurts to open my eye. Unfortunately I don’t notice a change when I’ve opened my eye. I look at Dr. Willie. He seems a bit sad.

“What is it sir? I don’t notice anything different.”

Dr. Willie is examining my eye. Then he looks at me again. “I’m sorry Harry. It seems your eye nerves were too damaged. You won’t be able to see through that eye.” He sighs.

I think this over. After three weeks of lying in bed and only being able to see with one eye, it doesn’t make much difference. I can still see something with my other eye.

“It’s all right Dr. Willie, I don’t really mind. At least you tried to fix it.” I gave him a small smile.

He smiled back. Then he got called away. Nurse John seemed to be in a bit of a frenzy because of something.

Nurse Becky stayed with me, her shift would be over in fifteen minutes and she had promised to read me more from ‘Artemis Fowl’ before she would leave.

< Back to 3rd person view>

After asking for Dr. Williams at the receptionist’s desk, Snape and Remus waited till the Doctor would come to get them. It didn’t take the doctor long. He seemed a bit troubled, but his face lit up when he noticed Hedwig sitting on the shoulder of Remus.

“Ah, glad you could come so soon. I’m Dr. Williams, usually called Dr. Willie by my patients. I believe you might have a note for me?”

Remus nodded and said: “Let me introduce us first. This man over here is Severus Snape a teacher of Harry and I am Remus Lupin, used to be a good friend of his parents and unofficial godfather of Harry. Here is the note Albus has written for you.” With this said, he handed Dr. Willie the note.

Dr. Willie quickly scanned the note and seemed satisfied. “All right, follow me than. I do believe I should tell you something more about his injuries before I can let you see him. He is in a different condition than you last saw him I believe.”

With this said he walked towards the elevators and Snape and Remus followed, after sharing a bit of confused glances at first.

When they stepped out of the elevator, Dr. Willie led them to his office. It was cramped and filled with files, but there were several chairs available. Snape and Remus carefully sat down. They didn’t know what to expect and were rather curious as to why they would not be able to see Harry straight away.

Dr. Willie shifted a bit behind his desk and then started speaking.

“I understand you’re probably wondering why I will not let you see Harry just yet. First I want to confirm you really know the boy. His description has been in the newspapers for several times, and all those times we never got a reply from anyone, so I would just like to know if you could tell me what he looks like.”

He then looked expectantly at Snape and Remus.

Remus took a breath. “Understandable. Well, Harry is rather short for his age, often skinny. He’s got black short hair, that never stays flat. His eyes are of a green emerald colour you don’t often see. And he’s got a lightning bolt shaped scar on his forehead. Oh, and I nearly forgot his glasses.” Remus thought about what he said and making sure he hadn’t forgotten anything he nodded.

Dr. Willie seemed relieved. “Well, at least we’re talking about the same boy then. It was never published in the papers about his scar, because it was such a trademark of him. Since you seem to know him, I need to ask some questions to put in his file. After all the police will also be glad to hear his identity has finally been discovered.”

Snape shifted in his chair a little. The police would make things worse, unless they modified the file and the memories of the Doctor.

“Very well,” he said. “What are your questions?”

Dr. Willie pulled the file from Harry out of the pile and opened it.

“First off, his entire name please.”

“His entire name is Harry James Potter.”

Dr. Willie scribbled it in the file and asked the next question.

“We guessed him to be around 13 maybe 14 years old. Is this correct?”

Snape snorted. He knew Harry was small for his age, but 13?

“Actually he turned 16 last week.” Remus said, a small smile playing around his mouth.

“16? Are you sure?” asked Dr. Willie. One look at Snape’s face however, made him change his mind and he scribbled the answer down.

He continued his questions for a while.

“And he lived with his aunt, uncle and cousin you say?” At the nod of Remus and Snape, he looked worried.

“Well, you see, were his uncle and cousin very bulky? And his aunt skinny and long necked?”

Remus nodded again. Snape couldn’t answer this question, as he had never seen Potter’s relatives.

“What is the matter Doctor?”

“Well, Harry was involved in a nasty car accident when he was brought in here, and well, his uncle and cousin had already died by then, and his aunt died during surgery. It’s quite a miracle he managed to survive himself though. Never had to do so much surgery on anyone really.”

Dr. Willie didn’t seem to notice the slight look of panic crossing both the face of Remus as well as the face of Snape, before their faces where schooled back in showing only concern and interest.

“Could you please tell us the extent of the injuries Harry has received? We would like to see him soon.”

Dr. Willie nodded.

“Of course, I understand, you must be quite worried by now. Well, let’s see. His injuries were as followed: we had to remove a kidney, because it was too mashed up, excuse me for the language, his intestines had to be repaired as they too had received heavy bruising, his legs and arms were broken so badly that he needs to learn how to use them again. We made sure he can’t move them now, in order to prevent further damage. He had a crack in his skull, which alone was enough to nearly cost him his life. It did make him loose his memory, he had cuts in his arms and legs from glass shards. We had to keep him alive with an IV and a breathing tube. Right now he only needs an oxygen mask and he slowly is starting to eat and drink again. The last thing is one of his eyes. The eye was damaged by glass shards. They were probably from his glasses. Today I removed the gauze that covered his eye and unfortunately he has lost his vision in that eye. The nerve damage done by the glass shards was too extensive. But he is still strong. He actually cheered me up, because as he told me: he didn’t remember how it was to see with two eyes, so it didn’t matter to him.”

Dr. Willie sighed and looked up at his two visitors. They both seemed rather shocked at the long list of injuries he had just told them. Really, who wouldn’t be stunned? Shaking himself from his stupor, he said:

“Well, if you’d like we can go see him now. I believe nurse Becky has just finished reading him, and he is actually supposed to rest for a bit, but when he will see you, I’m sure he will stay awake.”

Remus and Snape nodded and stood up. Finally they were going to see Harry again.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=309