Love is a Haven by atiaahmed
Summary: In Second Year Severus and Harry developed an understanding due to a love charm, that was placed on Snape. How will their relationship continue after the charm wears of? See how that develops alongside road blocks like Lupin, Black and Pettigrew. Sequel to love is a charm, completed, Second Part of series "Love is...", third Part up now!

Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, McGonagall, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: Love is...
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 67174 Read: 38757 Published: 27 Aug 2014 Updated: 02 Oct 2014
Story Notes:

This is a Sequel to "Love is a charm", guardianfic, no slash, Severitus-ish



Love is

Thanks a lot to JAWorley for the banner to the series!

I made a floor plan for Severus' quarters at Hogwarts, here you go:

floor plan 2D

Chapter 1 by atiaahmed
Author's Notes:
Thank you all for the love you gave "love is a charm". Full rating, 60 comments to date! You guys are so amazing. That's why the story survives and lives on in this next installment: Enjoy!

Snape had disguised himself with every state of the art spying spell he could come up with. It was a bit ridiculous to be hiding like this from Muggles, but he didn't want to blow his cover. One of the men standing in front of Number Four Privet Drive was a squib working for Wizard Family Services and knew him quite well. Snape came as close as he dared to them and entered the house, following the pair and Petunia to the living room.

"No, thank you", the Muggle with dirty blond hair declined the offer of drinks "Please join us, Mrs. Dursley."

Petunia sat down, crossing her legs and angling them in the proper way.

"We are here to follow up on a complaint.", the Squib began, Petunia nodded with a severe expression "As you know your nephew has been taken from your care and placed with a different guardian" Petunia pursed her lips but didn't comment "After concluding the investigation we are confronted with another problem."

"Concluded? But I thought it was ongoing?", Petunia asked in a false sweet voice

"We haven't given on our findings yet, we will be doing that as soon as this interview is finished", the Muggle explained and nodded for his colleague to continue

"Yes, well you see, we had to check if your own son's living conditions are sufficient."

Petunia paled and gasped "Dudley has everything he needs, we give him all he could ever wish for!"

Both men scowled "You are accused of severe negligence and abuse, Mrs Dursley and admit to spoiling your son?"

Snape could almost see both social workers put together the picture of the truth behind Number Four. Petunia clasped her lips shut. The squib glanced at the pictures on the mantle, devoid of any black haired child and continued "Dudley's needs are very different from Harry's. What your son needs are boundaries and a good set of rules and responsibilities. We don't think that his needs are fulfilled in this home."

Petunia opened her mouth slightly in shock

"Don't worry Mrs Dursley, you will be able to visit Dudley and stay in contact if he so wishes.", the Muggle tried to sooth her

"Out." she whispered "Get out before I throw you out!"

Her guests looked at her dumbfounded and only sprang up when she started screaming "You will steal my baby? How dare you say that? Get out of my sight! I will tell Vernon everything and have you sued for your last button - liars, thiefs, freaks!"

Snape grinned in satisfaction, he enjoyed how ruffled Petunia looked, her neat bun coming off, graying hair loosening and her cheeks flushed in anger. The way her eyes were full of indignation and fear. When the men had left she sat back down, her eyes distant and mouth slightly open. She covered it automatically with her hand. It took her a moment and then he she looked up to the pictures on the mantle. She whispered in a scared and shaking voice "Oh, my baby"

Snape had enough of her drama and started his own. Still disguised and invisible to her he came up close and then whispered in her ear "You will loose him."

Petunia jumped and then turned around, her hand flying to her chest, presumably to sooth her racing heart. Snape whispered into her other ear "You never deserved him in the first place."

Petunia shrieked at that and jumped up. Snape kept up his whispers, every time coming from a different place in the room - "You tainted him", "You can never be enough". Sometimes close to her, sometimes farther away until she screamed

"Stop! You freak! Stop it! Who are you?"

"The voice of your heart, Petunia", he whispered again "You know its the truth. Dudley was just too good for you."

"Its all that little freaks fault", Petunia cried, tears staining her cheeks, her arms shaking badly "If it wasn't for him..."

Snape wanted to strangle her, but he kept to his plan "No, Petunia. You did this. You ruined your little baby. He will be happy with other people, people who can give him what he needs - normalcy."

Petunia shook her head frantically

"Tell me, hasn't he been unhappy, demanding more and more things to fill up the hole you left? You cannot make him happy, whatever you do, whatever you buy him. You never could and you never will be able to."

Petunia paled, swaying on the spot and Snape went for the last stab, standing right behind her

"Its because you're a freak too, Tuney. You have the same blood."

At that Petunia fainted. Snape looked mildly surprised, he hadn't expected such a reaction but he was darkly pleased by it. He caught her and dragged her over to the couch, laying her on it so she might believe it was all a dream.

He had slytherined Harry out of his living arrangements with the Dursleys without much drama. Harry didn't need the public attention, so they did everything to keep the change quiet. Dumbledore as the person who was guardian in name now, was the one dealing with the Dursleys directly and Snape had only had the satisfaction of nudging his contact to investigate Dudley's situation. As expected the combination of one child being spoiled and the other neglected did the trick and Dudley was taken from his parents.

But that alone was not satisfying for Snape. He was an Ex-Death Eater, he needed a darker kind of revenge. But he knew, as soon as he used magic on these vile creatures there'd be half the ministry standing in the living room. He wouldn't mind that if it wasn't for Azkaban and having to leave Harry over it. And they would obliviate the couple, vanishing all his hard efforts. No, this kind of revenge, sewing the right thoughts into Petunias mind, this was slytherin enough to satisfy him. 'For a while', he decided with an evil grin as he left the house. He'd be visiting Vernon at a later time too. If he had judged them correctly they wouldn't be talking to each other about these very abnormal conversations with their "conscience".


Harry woke up with a wide smile on his face. It was the first time that he would look forward to his birthday. He got up and contemplated how he could be this happy. Snape had taken Harry in after Ron and Hermione had forced him to love Harry through a complicated spell. The spell had worn off but the affection had remained. As such Snape could not let Harry remain with his abusive relatives and had taken him to his own home. Harry had secretly wished to see Snapes encounter with them when he finalized the guardianship but Snape had made him stay with the Weasleys for the day. But judging from his smug, self satisfied expression when he returned, the Dursleys had gotten what they had been deserving for a long time now. Harry didn't revel too long in his dark thoughts of revenge as life had taken such a good turn for him.

Life with Snape at Spinners End was very different to what Privet Drive had offered him. He was well taken care of, Snape gave him shelter, food and didn't expect more from him than to give him a hand here and there and keep his room and belongings tidied up. Harry had finished his assignments at the beginning of the summer break while he had been waiting for the charm to wear off. Now was free to do whatever he wished. Most days Snape spent brewing with him and working on his research. Even if Harry usually didn't bring in ground breaking developments, he asked questions that made Snape rethink his process. That alone had helped him out immensely, even if he didn't tell Harry that.

Spinners End had been secured by both Snape and Dumbledore to extremes that were only rivalled by the Fidelius Charm. Harry had had to add his blood, saliva and sweat to the property to include him and even then the adults had been tense until a blue light shortly lit up all rooms. They had smiled at each other triumphantly at that and Harry had curiously recognized a blush creeping up Snapes face and the knowing look Dumbledore sent him. Harry had shrugged and asked when they would eat, breaking the obviously embarrassing moment. Since then Snape and Harry had lived in silent harmony at Spinners End.

Today Harry would go to the Weasleys to have his first real birthday party. He had asked Snape to join but he had refused, not being a people person. At Harrys dejected look, Snape had told him they'd have a little private party when he got home.

"Harry!", he heard him calling now "What are you doing up there?"

"Coming, Severus."

He grinned, he had taken his time with washing up as he had been contemplating the changes in his life. Grinning made toothpaste run down his face so he spit it out and moved to get down to breakfast. Harry had started calling his professor by his first name, because now he was officially more than a teacher to him. Even if the paperwork stated Dumbledore as his guardian, in reality it would be Snape who took care of him. Snape had readily agreed to the first name terms, which had surprised Harry a bit. Now Harry took every chance to use his professors first name.

"Finally!", Snape grumbled when he entered, but Harry wasn't bothered by it as he saw waffles steaming on the table

"My favourite!", Harry exclaimed and plopped down enthusiastically. Too engrossed in topping his waffles he didn't see Snapes soft smile at that.

"Now, don't overdo it young man.", he admonished and put a hand on Harrys as he reached for a sugary spread "Top it with fruit, Molly will fill you up with enough sugar to deal with as it is."

Harry grinned up at him and took the strawberries. Snape sat down with a cup of coffee and watched Harry stuff himself. Snape shook his head at himself, he was being indulgent with the boy to the point of spoiling him. But at least today he couldn't help himself. When he had encountered the Dursleys he had used the opportunity to gather their memories of Harrys treatment. Every day in the evening after saying good night to him, he had watched a few of them. Yesterday he had picked the ones of his previous birthdays and felt so saddened by them that he would probably have a hard time not to go shopping for additional presents.

"I'll pick you up at seven, is that alright?" Harry nodded at the question "I trust you will be able to floo yourself?"

Harry looked up from his glass of milk with a white moustache and offered "Yes, I could floo back too."

"I know.", Snape said, trying hard not to grin at the ridiculous moustache "But I want to take you somewhere for dinner."

Harry grinned "Really? Thanks Severus!"

Snapes eyes softened the way they always did these days when Harry looked at him with such enthusiasm. He kept watching Harry eat and handed him the floo powder as a way of saying good-bye later in the living room. Harry took it, seeming uncertain

"Do you want me to accompany you?", Snape offered, seeing him stopping short of taking the powder, Harry resolutely shook his head, smiled shyly at him and entered the fireplace shouting with a firm voice "The Burrow!"

Snape stared at the dying green flames with a frown and then turned to prepare Harrys birthday surprises.


"Happy birthday!", the Weasleys shouted the moment Harry stepped out, Harrys face lit up with happiness, he was immediately hugged and congratulated and then the Twins took him out on their pitch to play while Mrs Weasley started preparing lunch. Hermione joined them a little later and together they played and laughed and talked. Ginny was an unusually good player and Hermione was quite content to let her play and referee instead. After playing a few games and Percy getting knocked off the broom the one time he joined, the three friends went up to Rons room.

"Hey Harry, I think mum made those little custard tarts for you. I'll sneak some up.", Ron said and went back into the kitchen. Hermione sat on one of the beds in the Chudley Cannon orange room while Harry choose the desk chair. Hermione looked around the room, especially interested in anything magical, while Harry looked at the scattered parchments on Rons desk. There was a half finished charms essay ending in the middle of a sentence and the essay for McGonagall where Ron had only managed to scribble the title on. Harry grinned at that and idly looked around the desk when he spotted a different hand writing. His eyebrows rose up to his hairline when he realized whose spidery handwriting it was. Without thinking he snatched up the parchment and began to read.

"Mr. and Mrs. Weasley,

I write to you today not in the capacity of your childrens potions master but in regards to my own charge. As Professor Dumbledore informed you and all other former members of the Order he has taken custody of Harry Potter. But this guardianship will be effective only in name and I will be the one in charge of the boy. You will perhaps be astonished by this development and as your son has had a vital role in bringing it about, I will enlighten you to how it came about.

At the beginning of the previous school year Ronald Weasley performed an illegal spell, aided by one Miss Hermione Granger. You may be familiar with the Paternus Charm. In the case that you do not know what it does, I'll give you a brief overview. It is performed by someone who wishes to give their child a paternal figure, normally it is performed by the mother. The spell then binds one male figure in the house to the child. This man will develop paternal feelings for the child that will last up to 9 months. At this point he may have developed natural feelings or he may not, the charm will loose its effect.

You can imagine why this charm was banned long ago, as it forces a man into submission. For 9 months there is no escape, no cure to what he feels. At the end of that time those feelings will evaporate, probably leaving nothing in their wake – a situation that can be quite damaging for the child. You will, I am certain, see that even though your sons intentions were good he could have hurt Harry deeply. Harry has already lost his parents, Ronald could have forced him to loose another person he began to regard in this light too. The psychological impact of a potential abandonment could have been catastrophic, it is quite possible that Harry would have even become suicidal as he began to regard me as his only way out of the abusive household of his relatives.

Yes, I was the one who was targeted by the spell and began to bond with the child. To Harrys enormous luck I decided to take up the responsibility and not abandon him.

You will see that Rons actions, however well intended, cannot go unpunished. I have refrained of punishing him through the official means, which would have resulted in his expulsion as he was already on warning due to his and Harrys flight into the school at the beginning of the year. I expect you to take action in a way that will teach him to think before he acts. I myself have devised a list of punishments I deem acceptable in this case and would be delighted to help you arrange them as soon as you have chosen.

Prof. Severus Snape"

Attached was a list of different social works, mostly in orphanages. Harry stared at the letter, stunned.

"Harry!", he heard Ron scream and turned around in the chair. Hermione jumped as well and turned from looking at one of Rons books. Harry looked from the letter to Ron.

"He wrote to you parents?", he asked numbly "What did they make you do?"

Ron turned scarlet "They screamed at me for an hour then decided that working for the next orphanage and no flying all summer would be enough. Today I was allowed to join you guys because I had been on good behavior all week. I have already painted their fence, dusted out their carpets and helped out in the kitchen – everything muggle style, because its a muggle orphanage."

"And you?", Harry asked, Hermione had pink cheeks as well

"Got the same letter, my parents were so disappointed. I had to clean in their dental surgery all summer."

Harry put the letter back on the desk and stared at it, avoiding his friends' eyes. He tried hard not to grin. Snape had punished them and he had done it in a fair way, because they were Harrys friends and he didn't want Harry to loose them. He took out the list of punishments and skimmed it, they all had some educational value to teach them both what they had done. Ron with his large family and Hermione as an only child could not imagine what it felt like to be an unwanted orphan. Harry felt a warm gratitude towards Severus and smiled softly. He turned around to his friends and then said happily "Who wants to play Exploding Snap?"


Lunch was a noisy affair and Harry enjoyed it very much, it was so different from the quiet meals with his guardian. The grin on his face seemed to be plastered on and he felt right at home with his friends. He cut the big cake in Snitch form and blushed a bit when everyone sang Happy Birthday to him again. With he pang he realized that he missed Severus, he would've been happy just to see him sitting amongst the others, arms crossed and a frown on his face. Just like always. But Harry shrugged the feeling away as he was too happy to finally have a birthday party with a bunch of people who liked him.

He felt full and content when five minutes before seven the flames turned green and then spit out Professor Snape. Hermione and Ron, who were slumped on the sofa beside him until then, straightened up immediately. Harry grinned at Snape at that and the teacher only raised an eyebrow. All three of them had been snacking on the rest of the cake after playing cards and chess.

"Mr. Weasley, Miss Granger. I trust you had an enjoyable day with my charge?"

"Yes sir.", they chorused, more well behaved than ever before

"I'll just greet the Weasleys, we can leave after.", he informed Harry and went into the kitchen

"He's been okay then?", Ron asked uncertainly

"He's been brilliant.", Harry answered, also sitting up straight, Hermione smiled

"I'm so glad it worked out. And Harry... Really, I'm so sorry..."

Harry held up a hand "All forgiven, Hermione."

She beamed at him and even Ron looked relived. Harry realized that he hadn't said it out loud like this before, even if he had already forgiven them a long time ago for intervening.

"Lets go then, Harry.", Snape said entering and then gave him a hand to help him stand up. Snape regarded him a while, then said "We'll apparate, follow me."

They left the Burrow after Harrys warm good-byes to his friends and Rons family. He waved again and Snape lead him out of sight. He then turned to him and opened his arms. Harry, glad for an excuse to hug the man on his birthday, stepped forward and felt Severus arms come around him in a soft embrace. It took a moment but then he felt the familiar apparating sensation

"Ugh... not good...", Harry said when they arrived and held his guardian tightly, struggling against his nausea. He felt the man rub his shoulder with his thumb.

"Better?", Snape asked after a while and released him, Harry nodded, feeling embarrassed by this reaction

Snape led him to a little comfortable restaurant where they had dinner together. Harry at first thought the highlight was when he got to sip wine for the first time, but it came in the form of a heavy Gentlemans cake, topped with dark chocolate ganache.

"Wow!", Harry said with round green eyes

"One of my favorites", Snape said cutting into it and biting into the first piece. He actually hummed in appreciation, Harry grinned at that and took his own bite. It was a small piece of cake but it was so heavy that Harry felt filled up to the brim when he finished.

"It was really good, thanks a lot, Severus.", Harry said when they left the restaurant, Snape nodded at him and then drew out a vial

"Take this, it will help settle your stomach for the apparation."

Harry took it, nodding in appreciation of the forethought. When they entered Spinners End Harry felt drowsy and content. His eyes were already drooping shut but Snape firmly steered him into the living room.

"Your birthday still goes on for a few hours, so here.", he said shoving a wrapped present at him, Harry smiled weekly and ripped the paper off. A brown package came into view and when Harry opened it, he saw a set of potion related items, he looked up questioningly

"A golden cauldron for advanced potions, rare ingredients and a notebook.", Snape counted without looking in "Who do you think would need something like that?"

"A Potions Master?", Harry guessed

"Correct, or one in the making.", Snape said and then smiled as Harry realized what that meant

"You're taking me on as an apprentice?"

"Correct, Mr. Potter."

Harry actually squealed in delight, jumping up and down, his drowsiness forgotten "Thank you! Thanks so much... it..."

"Means a lot?", Snape teased him with his half hearted words from a year ago, his eyes softening again. He could count on his fingers how often he had shown affection for the child outside of the influence of the charm. But he felt embarrassed and unsure about showing affection. He should probably hug Harry but he couldn't bring himself to. Harry smiled up at him, his cheeks slightly reddened and eyes glimmering in excitement. Snape sighed in mock suffering "Someone will need hot chocolate to settle down again."

Harry laughed a little, his eyes drooping shut again. This was how he could show affection, through consideration, Snape contemplated. Harry dropped back on the sofa and leaned into it. Already falling asleep, he murmured "You make the best hot chocolate in the world, dad."

Snape had been going into the kitchen but stopped short at those words, his heart jumped at the last "What did you say?"

Harry blinked up at him tiredly "You make the best hot chocolate."

Snape was on the verge of saying something about the title but decided it was a sleepy slip up and nothing else "Stay awake, I'll bring you some."

Harry wondered about how affectionate Snape became after the hot chocolate, ruffling his hair and even tucking him in. He had blushed at the last part but enjoyed it anyway. He had never had anyone do that before. He shrugged mentally and thought it must be about his birthday, the man probably felt bad about leaving him with the Weasleys for half the day or something. He fell asleep to happy dreams.


Snape in the bedroom down the hall settled into bed wide awake. Dad. He had felt like lightening had struck at that word. He shouldn't feel like that, he thought, the child had slipped up in that moment. Severus was the first person to be a real father figure to him and had given him affection and care freely for the first time. It was natural for Harry to be a bit confused and his tiredness, the apparation and being filled up to the point of explosion did the rest. As he closed his eyes and willed himself to sleep he tried to convince himself: It was a slip up, something the child would never voluntarily say to him. Uncle, he might someday settle for the title of uncle and should be very glad for it. He opened his eyes again. He might have been able to convince himself it would be enough for him before today. But since he had heard that word from Harrys lips he could not let go of the wish to hear it again – to never be called anything else by the child. Well maybe he could sometimes settel for "Papa", which also had been missing out of Harrys vocabulary since he came to Spinners End. Secretely Snape had hoped to hear it again, but he would never demand it and so he had agreed to the first name terms. He shook his head, he was being ridiculous and sentimental.

Sometimes he thought the effect of the charm hadn't worn off. But that was impossible as Madam Pomfrey and Flittwick had assured him that he was rid of it. He had felt it lift himself! Snape crossed his arms, still laying in his bed. Uncle. That had to be enough. At that moment an unwelcome thought entered his mind. He would have to share that title with Lupin.

Dumbledore and Minerva had talked him into letting Lupin visit and being a part of Harrys life – before they officially met as student and professor at Hogwarts. He didn't like the thought. He had imagined it was because the man was dangerous and had a weak character. He would be a bad influence on the boy. But his analytical mind provided him with the true reason: Snape was possessive and jealous, he didn't want to share the child and dreaded being liked less than the wolf, maybe even replaced. He sighed. He had lost Lily to his self-consciousness, he wouldn't allow the same to happen with Harry. He would allow the wolf access to Harry – under strict supervision.


The man that emerged from the green flames of the floo, looked tired and worn out. Harry didn't think less of him for his tattered clothes, his own were brand new and before that he had only worn Dudleys cast offs. He knew how poverty felt like and smiled an encouraging smile. Mr. Lupin beamed back at him with such warmth that Harry immediately forgot about his poor looks.

"Harry! So glad to see you again, well and happy on top of all.", Lupin said with feeling and knelt down in front of him, putting his hands on top of his shoulders. Harry shrugged to break the contact but Lupin remained "Last time I saw you, you sat in my lap grinning a toothless smile."

Harry gave him a shy smile at that "Well I have two whole rows now."

Lupin laughed a quiet, soft laugh at Harrys little joke and stood up again. He reached for Snape and shook his hand, ignoring the distaste in the other man's expression. "I am deeply gratefull to you, Severus, for allowing me to see Harry. I was always brushed off by Dumbledore until now, he didn't elaborate on Harrys living situation and at one point I stopped asking."

Snape narrowed his eyes but nodded curtly "You may have the living room to your disposal during your visit."

Snape turned to Harry and his expression lost all coldness "If you need anything, call for me. The door to my study will be open."

With that pronouncement he headed up the stairs. Harry felt like Snape had wanted to assure him he wasn't leaving Harry alone with a wild animal. He turned to Lupin and offered him a place to sit and something to drink, Lupin declined, smiling at Harrys good manners. Harry dreaded being asked how he came to live with Snape, so he started his own line of conversation.

"Look, Severus gave me Ophion at Christmas.", he rolled up his sleeve to show his sleepy pet snake "And last year he helped me defeat Slytherins monster."

Of course Lupin wanted to hear everything about that adventure and they spent a good time discussing it in every detail. But Lupin had come this day with a very specific goal in mind. So as soon as he thought advisable he turned the conversation to the questions that burned in his heart

"Harry, Severus presented you with Ophion at Christmas. But as I understand he was still only your professor at that time. Why would he do that?"

"Oh, that was because he was tutoring me then and I think he wanted me to understand that parseltongue wasn't a bad thing. Other people were... you know they didn't understand about it and I felt left out and... you know..."

Lupin nodded with a sad bitter smile "I do know."

Harry looked up at the empathic exclamation but didn't ask about it "He was being real good about it."

Lupin smiled "I'm glad you had someone with sense to talk to, I really am. Harry when you were little, your parents wished me to be your godfather but because of legalities they were prevented to do so."

Harry nodded and said "Severus told me that werewolfs are discriminated against in wizarding society when we brewed Wolfsbane the first time."

Lupin stopped short and didn't ask the question of how Harry knew that he was a werewolf, it was obvious Severus had told him "Yes, that was the reason. But I still feel responsible for you, can you understand that?"

Harry nodded

"So I am curious as to why you are now living with Severus instead of your aunt and uncle."

Harry went quiet and then repeated the rehearsed answer he had made up for his dorm mates for the coming year. Not that he would tell them who his new guardian was "My relatives were unfit to take care of me, so I was brought to someone who could."

"Unfit?", Lupin asked quietly, taking Harrys hand. Harry stood up, breaking the contact and said

"You should ask Severus about that, I'll get him."

He practically fled up the stairs. He didn't know why he was being a baby about the topic, he just knew he didn't want to talk about it with Lupin. He barely knew the man, why should he tell him something this personal? He knocked on the slightly open door to Snapes study. Snape jumped up in a way that made Harry certain he had been trying to listen in to their conversation.

"Do you want me to..." 'throw the wolf out' "...tell Lupin to come another day?"

Harry smiled "That would be nice, but I think he wants to talk to you."

Snape nodded and walked into the hallway "You can wait in your room, I'm sure he'd like to say good-bye to you later."

Harry smiled, but the expression seemed wrong so Snape put his hand between Harrys shoulders for a bit, leading him to his room. He let go when they reached it and descended the stairs, leaving Harry to stare after him.

"Lupin, you wished to talk to me?", Snape said and Lupin turned around from looking out the dingy window.

"Yes, you could say so.", Lupin said, clearly in a bad mood "I asked Harry why he lived with you now and he ran to get you."

Snape nodded "I believe he is uncomfortable with sharing the information with a stranger."

Lupin grimaced at the last word "I still want to know."

Snape sat down, crossing his arms and nodding for Lupin to take a seat.

"He lived with his aunt and uncle.", Lupin initiated when Snape gave no sign of starting.

"Oh yes, his lovely relatives. Did you know Petunia?"

"No, I never met her. She didn't come to the wedding under some pretense, it broke Lilys heart. But I think they stayed in contact through letters."

"I knew her.", Snape said "She was a vindictive, jealous little..."

Snape stopped himself at that and took a deep breath before ending "She and her husband were unfit to care for Harry."

Lupin bristled at those words "Excuse me, Severus, but a married couple with a child were unfit to care for him and you are the better alternative? They are his blood and you are a... bachelor."

Snape raised an eyebrow at that "I've been called worse... But really Lupin, use your head. If there was no reason how could they have taken him out of their custody?"

"That's it exactly!", Lupin said, throwing his arms up in annoyance "You're not giving me a reason."

"And why should I do that?", Snape asked, his tone becoming gradually dark

"Because I was their friend. Harry was their son. I was supposed to be his godfather, if life had been fair" Snape snorted at that "I played with him when he was a toddler, I changed his nappies and celebrated his first birthday with him. I should have him!"

"Yet for some reason the moment your precious friend died you didn't care about him enough to see how he's doing."

"I had a severe depression! I lost everybody and everything in that war!", Lupin jumped up almost spitting in his anger "The moment I came out of it I went to Dumbledore and asked him about Harry. He assured me he was alright. I asked several times, I sent him a gift every birthday..."

Snape vowed to ask Dumbledore about these gifts but stood up as well and faced Lupin.

"Oh really? How very touching, wolf. But you didn't care enough to take one look at him, did you?"

"Oh, so that's it!", Lupin spat "You don't want to tell me because I'm a werewolf, because of what happened back then. You are so petty, Severus..."

Snape couldn't take this, not in his own home "You want to know, wolf? He was kept in a cupboard, presumably because they had no cellar to lock him in. He was fed his relatives leftovers and worked like a house elf. They hated him and left no chance unused they could to verbally abuse him. Is that enough?"

Lupin had paled and sat back down "What?"

Snape looked at Lupin with distaste but also with sympathy. He knew how this felt and Lupin had no way to sooth his heart through comforting Harry. But Snape shook away his sympathy, Lupin did not deserve it even though Snape knew exactly how heavy his heart must be right now.

It took a moment but then Lupin looked up "And you took him? Just like that?"

"No, not just like that.", Snape sat back down and then stared at Lupin for a while. He'd learn about it eventually so Snape would tell him on his own terms. He launched into the story of how he began to care about Harry and ended with how he had managed to strip the Dursleys of Harry's and Dudley's guardianship.

"And that's it? You didn't do anything else to them?", Lupin asked "That cannot be it."

"I may have started my own vendetta against them", Snape said, leaning back in his chair and steepling his fingers, Lupin gave a dry laugh

"Can I help?"

"Certainly.", Snape allowed "You can take care of Harry while I'm on my little mission and you can keep your mouth shut about it."

Lupin nodded and then sighed deeply "I wish..."

"Stop right there Lupin.", Snape interrupted harshly "Its of no use. Do your best now, that's all you can do."

Lupin nodded and then said "Can I say good-bey to him?"

Snape nodded and went to retrieve Harry. When the boy entered the room Lupin came up to him and said "I'm going, but I'll be back soon to visit. We can share more stories then."

Harry smiled at that and nodded eagerly

"Can I hug you?", Lupin asked quietly, instinctively Harry crossed his arms over his chest and then looked at Severus, uncertain of how to respond.

"Whatever you decide, I believe your godfather will not mind.", Snape reassured him, startled by Harry. He hadn't expected him to ask for permission like this. Harry smiled at that and even Lupin joined.

"Er... if you don't mind, I'd rather not.", Harry said shyly

"That's alright.", Lupin said, his smile faltering "We'll have enough time to get to know each other."

With that he nodded at both of them and vanished through the flames.

"Was that alright?", Harry asked uncertianly "I shouldn't have pushed him away like that..."

"Its ok, Harry.", Snape said, steering Harry into the kitchen to help prepare dinner "He understands"

Lupin did understand, but it was mainly the jealousy in his heart that was appeased by Harrys rejection of the wolf.


"Anything else we can do for you, Minister?", one of the guards asked Cornelius Fudge, who flinched yet again and then said

"Oh... yes well, only one remaining... I'd like to see Sirius Black."

The guard nodded and led the minister down an eerily empty hallway. Not that there was any hallway in Azkaban that wasn't deserted and eery. Fudge was only happy there was no one admitted into the prison in the recent past or he would have to listen to the screams too.

"Here, minister.", the guard said and opened a cell. Sirius Black was sitting on his bed, legs crossed, looking out the tiny barred window. He turned to Fudge when he entered.

"Good evening, minister."

"Mr. Black.", Fudge said nervously "How do you feel?"

Black tipped his head sideways, revealing for a second the lost handsome face he once had "Bored, actually."

Fudge blinked, surprised by this admission and gave a shaky laugh "Oh? Well, I wish I could help."

Black raised his eyebrows "You could." he pointed at Fudges backpocket "The newspaper would be a welcome distraction."

"Certainly.", Fudge said, handing it over "But I dare say it doesn't report the most interesting events."

"Oh?". Black asked, putting the paper beside him and looking interested

"Yes, yes.", Fudge said, nodding "We were able to keep a most interesting development quiet from those hawks."

"Dear Minister, I don't believe the prophet can print anything without your permission.", Black flattered, giving a soft knowing smile

"Oh, well, of course.", Fudge said, grinning "But if they had gotten wind of this, no body could have stopped them. Tragic of course, but those pen slaves never care about emotions, do they?"

"Certainly not in my time.", Sirius said "You can tell me, minister. I assure you I don't get many visits by the press"

Fudge laughed more freely "No, no I don't believe so. Well, its about Harry Potter. He was abused and neglected by his mothers sister and her family. Nasty business. He was emancipated by Dumbledore then taken under the headmasters guardianship. Why he didn't take the child in the first place is anyones guess..."

Blacks gray eyes flashed but he reared them under control "How very... interesting."

"Yes, but I don't understand how he does it. He's in the ministry half the time, Mugwump and all that... I suppose his teachers help out. But I wouldn't let my child near some of those..."

"Really minister? You disagree with Dumbledores appointments?"

"Disagree? Ha! Every year has a new defense teacher, there's no proper guidance, they don't adhere to ministry standards, disastrous, I tell you! And then there's teachers like Binns, Trelawney and Snape!"

Blacks head shot up "Snape? Severus Snape?"

"Yes, that man!", Fudge said energetically, having talked himself into a temper "Horribly impolite how he refused the Ministry savety standards for potions, accused of being a death eater... And earlier this week a witch at the ministry receives an application for apprenticeship from him. And would you guess for whom this application was filled out – none other than Harry Potter himself! As if the child hasn't suffered enough. I really don't understand the headmaster!"

Black clenched his fists and shut his jaw but composed himself soon after "What an interesting development minister, I must thank you a lot, you gave me food for thought."

The minister smiled "Well I'll be going now, good-bey."

The minister had already stepped out of the cell when he heard a reply that sent shivers down his spine

"See you soon, minister."


The End.
End Notes:
I would love to hear from you guys! Please comment and rate. Did you like the first chapter?

I have set out almost all the pieces I want to explore in this story in this first chapter. Main concern will of course be Harry's and Severus' relationship development. Lupin will be added for some spice in there ;) Sirius and Peter will be the "antagonists" for the plot line mainly, I still don't know how to end with Sirius, guess I'll surprise myself as much as you guys ;) Also I want to feature Ron, the Weasleys, Hermione and Harrys pets more than I did in the previous story. And of course more Tobias as well ;)

Tata

Atia


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3098