Love is a Haven by atiaahmed
Summary: In Second Year Severus and Harry developed an understanding due to a love charm, that was placed on Snape. How will their relationship continue after the charm wears of? See how that develops alongside road blocks like Lupin, Black and Pettigrew. Sequel to love is a charm, completed, Second Part of series "Love is...", third Part up now!

Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hermione, McGonagall, Pomfrey, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: Love is...
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 67174 Read: 38760 Published: 27 Aug 2014 Updated: 02 Oct 2014
Chapter 8 by atiaahmed

Christmas

Harry lay anxiously in bed at Christmas morning. Their home had been under the shadow of a perpetual gloom since Tobias' death and none of them seemed to look forward to the festivities any longer. But as he saw the eerie light from his window – their rooms were underneath the black lake, the light always had a greenish-blue tint – came in and the morning light cast beautiful patterns in his room, Harry decided to have a good Christmas and turn Severus' Christmas around as well. Energized by his decision, he jumped out of bed and wrapped a deep blue dressing gown around himself. When he entered the corridor he looked around carefully. Harry walked on tiptoes and opened the door to the living room quietly to peer in.

"Ah!", he screamed, when Severus suddenly grabbed him from behind. Harry spun around.

"Why are you sneaking around?", Severus asked with a grin, clad in green slippers and matching dressing gown.

"I didn't want to wake you.", Harry lied and pouted, he led them into the living room, where a big, beautifully lit tree was waiting for them.

"Excuse my abominable behaviour then. I thought you wanted to frighten me and I wanted to beat you to it.", Severus said, his twitching lips witness to his amusement

"Well, you should be sorry.", Harry said, feigning being offended by this accusation, even though that exactly had been his plan. He sat down on the sofa with crossed arms and imitated one of Severus' scowls "What will you give me in compensation?"

Severus, to Harry's surprise, knelt in front of him and grinned "Oh, how about... this!"

His fingers shot forwards and he started to tickle his son mercilessly, who immediately began laughing and trying to fight him off in between.

"Stop! Stop!", Harry begged, laughing hard

"Ah... What will I get from you in return?", Severus asked, stopping to tickle but still holding on to Harry.

"I don't know, what do you want?", Harry asked, breathing hard and trying to regain his composure.

"Hmm...", Severus quite liked the sight and sound of a laughing Harry and on Christmas no less! He gambled so high, he was sure Harry would decline "A kiss on the cheek would free you."

"No!", Harry said, as expected and shook his head. In the next moment he burst into laughter again as he was attacked. This went on for a while, until Severus trapped one of his feet in his hand and kept tickling him, only pausing to ask if he had enough. It took Harry another 5 minutes until he could fight no more.

"I give up!", he laughed, breathing hard "Stop, please."

Severus released him, giving a chuckle at Harry's defeated looks. His hair was messier than usual and he was practically trapped inside his dressing gown, which had evidently been on Severus' side and trying to strangle the boy during the tickle fight. Harry had blushed red from the effort of fighting him off and his green eyes were sparkling almost as much as Albus'. To Severus surprise Harry sat up and then leaned forward to peck him lightly on the cheek. He drew back immediately and Severus looked quite shocked at the whole display. Harry shrugged and quoted solemnly "Thou shalt honour thy gambling debts" and Severus snorted in amusement.

"Did you go to church?", Severus asked interestedly

"No, not much.", Harry answered and then asked "You?"

"Likewise.", Severus finally turned his attention to the tree in their living room "I think it is time to unpack your presents."

Harry looked up excitedly and then went to dive under the tree and retrieve presents. He threw one to Snape who barely caught it and sat down cross legged to open the other. He unpacked it and held up a Weasley sweater with a grin. Severus laughed when he saw it. Molly had outdone herself, as the back was Slytherin-green and the front Gryffindor-red, the seams accordingly Gray or yellow. Harry grinned and innocently suggested "Maybe she sent you one too?"

"Merlin forbid.", Severus groaned and then finally opened his own box, he put it away immediately

"What is it?"

"Chocolate from my colleagues, we do a not-so-secret Santa every year."

"Who had you?"

Severus gave a suffering sigh as the box indicated it could only be one person "Lupin. He may have chosen these rather for you than me."

He showed Harry the inside of the box, which was filled with Harry's favourite nougat pralines

"Cool! But how did he know?", Harry said taking one out and biting into it, Severus raised an eyebrow and the boy added "Oh, you told him."

"Indeed."

"Who did you get?"

"Minerva.", Snape answered and then smiled maliciously "She received a tea-cosy in tartan."

Harry looked amused and confused at the same time.

"She understood.", Severus said, then nodded at the other presents.

Harry threw another package and drew one to himself. He began looking at his friends' presents for himself and Severus opened presents from business partners, that were are related to the work he had done for them. As Harry chose the next for him, Severus jokingly cautioned "Please don't throw that."

Harry rolled his eyes at him and gave him the dark bottle.

"The headmaster insists on giving me liquor every Christmas.", Severus explained "Merlin knows why."

Harry shrugged and returned to his small pile, when he had gone through all his presents, he looked up from between them to Severus and smiled. He threw the last package that had Severus' name on it.

Severus unpacked it and saw that it was a picture frame with a signed photograph of Owell in his orange Cannons uniform. Severus smiled at the picture, enjoying their little joke and remembering their Quidditch training during the summer. "Well chosen."

Harry grinned and said "Say 'my son' to it"

Severus looked surprised and then said "My son."

The picture in the frame changed to one of Harry as a toddler, trying to eat a toy dragon. Harry had presumably taken it out of his album and maybe Miss Granger had helped him copy it. Severus smiled in appreciation of the present. He could put up this frame in his office, without having to fear detection. Even if he switched the picture to his son's, few people would recognize the podgy child as Harry Potter, especially because he lacked the distinctive scar.

"Very well chosen, Harry."

Harry grinned proudly and said "You can change the picture when... He is defeated."

Severus quite liked the sound of that and appreciated the present more because it matched so well with his own.

"Accio Harry's present.", he said and the card flew into his hand. Harry immediately recognized the logo of the Quidditch supply store in Diagon Alley and eagerly reached out. For a moment Severus considered batting his hand away just for the sake of it, but then relented and gave it to him. Harry opened the card and laughed at the picture, that was tucked inside.

It was of a very young Severus, maybe eight years old, trying to learn ice scathing. His mother was holding his hands and skating backwards. Tobias came into the picture, obviously having lost control of his skating and rammed into them. They all fell, Severus landing on his mother, who laughed and hugged him. They stood up shakily and the picture repeated itself. Harry smiled and said "Thank you", putting the picture behind the card and reading the text.

"Happy Christmas!

This is a gift card for Quality Quidditch Supplies. Do not worry your little pumpkin head, the amount is enough to cover a high standard broom.

Dad"

Harry smiled at his father, slightly annoyed at the 'pumpkin head' comment, it seemed to become a favourite of his fathers'. Harry cocked his head and asked"High quality or..."

"It will not be a firebolt, Harry.", Severus said sombrely "Regard it as your punishment for leaving the school last week."

Harry nodded at this and secretly felt relieved that the punishment was something material. He did not care for things as much as Dudley or even Ron. Another scolding or even the dreaded smacking would have been far worse. But Severus was not up for parenting just now, it seemed.

"Clean up, pack up and then we'll see what we can do next.", Severus ordered and they did just that.


Harry suggested going out and they took Ophion with them. The creature seemed to like the outing but refused to leave his favourite spot of warmth at Harry's wrist. Harry didn't mind as he talked to Hagrid and played with Fang. Severus sat in a bit of a distance on a bench and watched them until Remus joined him.

"Is he better now?", Harry's uncle asked

"Yes, he is recovering.", Severus answered, his eyes locked on the black mop of hair being chased by the large boar hound.

"Severus, I know you only want to protect Harry but...", Remus struggled to explain how he felt about the restrictions placed on his time with Harry.

"I will tell you what I told him. As soon as Black is caught, I will have no need for restrictions.", Severus said tensely and then added "Please accept it."

Remus looked defiant a moment but then he hung his head and nodded "I do understand, it still feels unfair."

Severus preferred not to answer to this.

"How's his Patronus coming along?"

"We did not practice for a while, but the last time it was solidified further." Remus nodded at this "But I would not have him try just now."

Remus looked at Harry who had been caught and whose face was being licked thoroughly, while he tried to free himself "I agree."

They watched as Harry tried to be stern with the excited dog but failed, because he had to laugh at his antics. Hagrid saved him eventually and led him into the hut, where he presumably helped him get cleaned up. Remus and Severus sat in silence for a while until Harry re-emerged and came straight for them. In the distance they could see Hagrid standing at his door, wiping at his face.

"Did something happen?", Severus asked as Harry reached them, Hagrid disappeared into the hut, now that Harry was safely in the hands of other adults

"Buckbeak.", he answered sadly "They have a hearing for him on the 20th."

"Oh.", Remus said dejectedly "That committee does not treat any creatures with much kindness."

Harry blinked at him surprised and then said "Ah! Werewolf laws..."

Remus nodded shortly in response

"Hermione wants to find a solution, Hagrid said.", Harry continued "I wish I could help."

"You have enough on your plate as it is, Harry.", Severus warned "Between apprenticeship, Quidditch, homework and Patronus lessons, when would you find the time?"

"And no offence, but Miss Granger seems to be quite capable on her own.", Remus added with a small smile "Mr. Weasley could aid her if need be."

"They are not talking. Again.", Harry said and shrugged

"I myself wonder where that girls... ah... finds the time to do all her work.", Severus said, sharing a meaningful look with Remus

"Its creepy!", Harry added "She's so... ambitious..."

"Horrible trait.", Severus answered dryly and made both Gryffindors laugh. He stood up and led them into the warm inside of the castle "Lunch should be served by now."


When Harry and Severus returned to their rooms, Harry went to put back his shawl, mittens and hat.

"Harry?", Severus called "Did you forget to unpack one of your presents?"

Harry came trudging into the living room "No."

"I thought so.", Severus said scowling at the long box, that had appeared under the tree

"What is it?"

"We shall see.", Severus said and then waved his wand a few times, as nothing happened, he knelt beside the package and opened it carefully. Immediately Harry dropped to his knees as well

"A firebolt!"

"Don't get excited.", Severus warned, then waved his wand a few times more "Call the headmaster."

"Why?", Harry asked him with round pleading eyes.

"We do not know where the package came from.", Severus answered "There is no message. This is a rather expensive broom and it's widely known that you are a Quidditch player. It makes no sense to choose a present like this for you and not at least give a message."

Harry had stood up and now went to the grate and called the headmaster. As he stepped in, wearing midnight blue robes with moons and stars on them, Harry sat down on the sofa.

The headmaster immediately went to the package and cast spells himself, some of them resembling what Severus had tried. He knelt beside his Potions Master.

"I could not detect anything, but better let Filius have a look.", Albus said and Severus nodded, he glanced at Harry.

"How long will it take?"

Albus smiled "I will personally aid him and we will consult Rolanda as well."

"She'd be delighted.", Severus said and stood up, closely followed by the headmaster

"Are you having an enjoyable day Harry?", he asked kindly and Harry, who had expected something about the broom, took a moment to answer

"Oh, yeah... I mean... Yes, Sir.", he said and blushed a bit "Er... what about the broom, sir?"

"Neither the package nor the outside of the broom are hexed in any way. Still we do not know how its magical ability may have been tampered with."

"I could try it out.", Harry offered, completely sure that he would never be allowed to. But he had to make sure.

"No, you could not!", Snape snapped from behind, scowling at him "I have rescued you from a broom one too many."

"You only did it once.", Harry mumbled, trying to ignore the amused smile on the headmaster's face

"And you want to repeat the experience?"

Harry shook his head, pouting.

"I'll take temptation with me.", Albus said easily, picking up the package and Severus nodded at him. Instead of going through the fire the headmaster walked to the door and Snape accompanied him. He thanked him before closing it and turning to Harry.

"So, what do you want to do?"

They ended up making different chocolates again, the way they had last year. At some point Harry offered to make cookies and even though Severus only watched, it was fun to bake with him. When the smell of cookies filled their living room and they sat down together with a cup of tea each, Harry gave a contented sigh. He remembered his desperate wish last year in the infirmary after he had lost all bones in his arm and Snape sat with him during the night. His dream Christmas had just been fulfilled and he felt warmed inside out. Who cared about a stupid broom?


The next few weeks passed in a blur. There was the start of next term that brought a lot of Harry's responsibilities back. He almost felt like dropping Care of Magical Creatures, his schedule was so packed up. But he couldn't do that to Hagrid and he doubted that any other subject he'd choose instead would have less work. So he gritted his teeth and worked through it all. The relaxing evenings with his father helped a lot. He could go to him with questions and problems and always felt like he had just made a step in the right direction. His father's birthday came and Harry presented him with a self made box of dark chocolate pralines. As he couldn't leave the castle, it was near impossible for a thirteen year old to buy anything. And between Christmas and the 6th of January there was also no Hogsmeade weekend, where he could tell his friends to buy something. His father was rather more please with Harry refraining from doing anything rash than with the present itself, even though he did like it.

His firebolt stayed under inspection the whole time as well and Harry had taken to ask Professors McGonagall, Hooch, Flittwick and Snape repeatedly when he could have it back. When the rest of the Quidditch team joined in asking the former three as well, they snapped and forbade asking anything about the broom. But Harry still pestered his father.

His Patronus lessons were coming along fine as well. His first lesson after the holidays had been somewhat of a throwback as his silver mist looked see through again. His Dad had explained that after a painful experience this could happen. Severus did not want to try if it had affected his Patronus – at least not in front of Harry.

It was the end of January when something exciting finally happened and that was Ron running around the common room with bloodied sheets in his hands, claiming that Crookshanks had eaten Scabbers. This seemed to have finally done it as Hermione and Ron stopped as much as to look at each other.

After enduring their horrible stony silence for an hour Harry had had enough and went down to his father. As he entered the rooms and slipped out of the cloak he said "Please, can you do something to cheer me up?"

"I have just the thing.", his father answered, without looking up "Why don't you ask me what you have been saying since weeks first thing every time I see you?"

"Err... Oh! Is my firebolt back?"

Severus looked up and then pointed to Harry's room. Harry practically sprinted in there and retrieved it, grinning from ear to ear.

"Can I fly it?"

"Not right now.", Severus said "You can take it up to your dormitory today and fly it tomorrow."

"Brilliant! Tomorrow is practice and the day after we play Ravenclaw."

"If you beat them, you still have a chance at the cup, right?"

Harry beamed at him "Yeah and with this, there is absolutely no question if we will!"

Severus gave a low chuckle and said "As my duty of cheering you up is done, I will resume my other duty now."

"Grading papers?", Harry asked hopefully.

"No, testing your abilities. Call your Patronus for me."

Happy to the brim with having the broom back, Harry cast "Expecto Patronum!"

And the silver mist came out again, taking the blurry form of a four legged creature. It vanished soon after but he received an approving nod.

"Very well. Soon I'll be able to introduce you properly to your Patronus.", Harry rolled his eyes at his father's words "In the meantime, meet mine. Expecto Patronum!"

The silver mist from his father's wand immediately solidified and formed – to the wonder of both – a big, majestic stag.

"Wow!", Harry breathed "It looks beautifully, can I touch it?"

Severus nodded speechlessly, he had expected his doe but in front of him stood a stag. He would have thought it was James' stag but he saw differences. This stag was majestic as the one of Harry's biological father but it looked older and had silvery scars. It looked as if it was a stag that had survived many fights and come out stronger than before. He felt a growing pride for his protector and smiled when Harry reached out and it affectionatetly licked his palm. Harry giggled when the stag nudged him with his nose and blew on his hair the way Severus had a while ago before disapparating. In the same way the beautiful creature slowly vanished.

Harry looked up at him with shining eyes and it was this look of wonder and innocence, Severus wished to see more often from him. Potions sometimes caused this with Harry, when he would look up from a book and excitedly ask if they could brew this potion today. It was good to see that there were several things that could produce it, however.


When Harry walked onto the pitch for the match against Ravenclaw he held his head high. Even his team mates seemed to stand taller, while in close proximity to the professional broom. When Harry came to stand in front of the opposing seeker, he momentarily forgot his pre-game nervousness. She was extremely pretty and it didn't hurt that she was in awe of his world class broom. Her pretty brown eyes were widened and Harry realized – with a little jolt in his stomach – that even her rosy lips were parted. For some reason he blushed and looked away. The command of "mount your brooms" brought him back to his senses and he did. As soon as the air hit him, he flew as though finally free of all his boundaries. So what he couldn't go to Hogsmeade or the forest? He could fly and wasn't that much, much better? Harry started flying circles around the pitch, looking for the Golden Snitch. Cho decided to tail him rather than search for the Snitch herself. Harry grinned to himself. She would never beat the firebolt in a race, so she could tail him all she wanted. But that hadn't strictly been her plan either...

Snape stared into the sky, following Harry with his eyes. The Chang girl seemed to have made an impression on his son, from the short interaction he could see before the match. Severus bit back a laugh, when he saw her suddenly crowding Harry and the boy, instead of tackling her and resuming his search, tried to avoid her. The girl knew exactly what she was doing, didn't she? Harry snapped out of his misplaced gentlemanism as Oliver Wood screamed at him angrily. He glanced at her and returned to his usual cocky Seeker demeanour, ramming into her rather harder than necessary the next time she crowded him. Severus looked at Chang curiously, but she seemed rather impressed than annoyed by Harry's change. It did not took them too long and then they were once again chasing the Golden Snitch at break neck speed, the firebolt surpassing the Ravenclaws broom with ease. But with a warm feeling of pride Severus realized, it wasn't only the high class broom but Harry's skill that surpassed the girl's.

At this moment a shriek stopped their endeavour and for a moment Snape thought indignantly that Chang had tried to distract Harry, but she had stopped as well and was pointing downwards, were a couple of dementors had entered the pitch. Before any of the teacher could so much as whip out their wands, Harry had cast a full corporal Patronus that made Lupins' and Snape's mouths drop open. It was a fawn, much smaller than Lily's or James' or Severus' Patroni, that burst from his wand and chased the cloaked figures, who stumbled and fell in a heap, revealing a couple of Slytherin students.

But Harry, his mouth dropping deed of the day done, turned back to the game and soon closed his fingers around the tiny fluttering ball. Severus smiled softly when Harry caught the Snitch and rose into the air, his fist punching up. That was his boy! Severus glanced around and caught McGonagall, clapping loudly. She shared a knowing look with him and mouthed "tea?". He grinned and nodded slightly. After that he saw he run down to Malfoy and cohorts to accompany them safely back into the castle.


While Gryffindor no doubt was housing a after-Quidditch-victory-party, their Head of House and the father of their Seeker were having tea in her office.

"'That boy is incredibly talented.", Minerva said, sipping her tea "The way he just turned his back on his fully formed Patronus to catch the Snitch... I wish he'd give Transfiguration that much attention."

Severus snorted at that "Yes, but I don't hear you complaining about the Cup he brings to your office every year."

He glanced at the golden Quidditch Cup and the House Cup right beside it. Minerva gave them both a fond look as well "Yes, well... I can hardly complain when I see you defeated, Severus."

Snape gave a an ironical bow at that and she continued "Even though I feel you won't mind to much to give me the Quidditch Cup this year."

"Exactly one seventh less.", Severus responded and raised an eyebrow, Minerva smiled in understanding. They sat together until late night, discussing various subject but always inevitably coming back to the favourite student and son they both loved.

"Chang would be ridiculous not to fall for him.", Severus said with a confidence he had never felt for himself

"Oh, come on, Severus. Don't be so sure."

"Don't 'come on' me! He is a superb Quidditch player, extraordinarily talented in Defense, a Potions protégé at the age of thirteen..."

"Do you really think she cares for his academics?", Minerva laughed "I agree, it is impressive but there are a lot of other talented young boys around."

Snape huffed "Alright, then just look at the boy. Those gorgeous green eyes, the same tousled windswept hair James tried to achieve all his life and Quidditch trained body."

Minerva grinned at him "Are you in love?"

He grinned back and shook his head "I'm trying to see from a teenage girl's perspective. And he is a gentle, good-hearted, brave and loyal friend. She should be lucky he noticed her."

Minerva chuckled and shook her head "To hear you praise James Potter's son – who would have thought?"

Snape squared his shoulders and said "I am praising my son."

"That you are.", Minerva said softly and raised her glass, they had gone from tea to stronger stuff "To Harry."

"To Harry.", Severus agreed readily, raising his glass and drinking to his son. They had both just fallen into a comfortable silence when Minerva heard shouting and looked up, Severus didn't seem to have noticed and in the next moment he brain caught up to why.

"Severus!", she said urgently and his head snapped up at her tone "Something's wrong in the Common Room."

Every Head of House had placed security wards of varying strenght around their student's domains and was alerted to trouble like this. She was already striding towards the door, when Snape sprang up to follow her. They both entered the Gryffindor Common Room a little later to two Weasley boys arguing.

"I tell you it was him!", Ron shouted desperately

"Ron!", Percy said exasperatedly and turned to his Head of House "Sorry, Professor, my brother had a bad dream..."

"It wasn't a dream!", Ron whined, desperate to make them understand "It was Sirius Black!"

Minerva's head snapped to him "Black?"

"Yes!", Ron said, urgently "He was standing over my bed, slashing at the curtains. You can go see them, they are in tatters."

"He's right", Neville added, not having noticed Professor Snape yet and thus retaining his cool "I saw someone run out, it was definitely a grown-up."

Minerva sized them up "What about the other third year boys?

They shook their head and Harry added "We woke up to Ron screaming. But Ophion told me that a man had been there."

Harry raised his wrist to show the small snake wrapped around it. Ophion tried to curl back into the sleeve and Harry hid him again. Minerva stepped out of the entrance and asked the Portrait of Sir Cadogan.

"Was there a man here?"

"Yes, Milady."

"Did you let him in?"

"Certainly."

"What? Why?!", she demanded angrily

"He had all the passwords, read them of a list.", the portrait responded calmly and Minerva entered the Common Room with a white face to Snape asking with a growl "Which of you idiots wrote down the passwords to your Common Room and endangered all of his peers?"

Automatically they all turned to Neville, who looked at the verge of tears, when he nodded at McGonagall.

"Oh for Merlin's sake, boy!", she thundered "Come with me! Mr. Weasley, do you need medical attention? No? Anyone else? Good, Severus, might you stay here for a while?"

Snape nodded curtly.

"I'll be back soon. Mr. Longbottom, you will wait in my office while I inform the headmaster.", she showed the cowering boy out and turned back into the room "I expect you all in your beds by the time I return. If anybody wishes to talk, Professor Snape is at your disposal."

Her Gryffindors sent her an incredulous look and started to go back to bed immediately. All but one.

"Mr. Potter, stay behind.", Snape said, when Harry wavered between following orders and wanting to stay with his father.

When all of the students had gone up, Snape waved his wand several times before he sat down and pointed Harry into one of the chairs close to him. He had pulled up wards to alert him if any of the students came back down as well as silenced their conversation to them.

"Dad... I...", he felt his heart throbbing in his chest "If something had happened to Ron..."

"But it didn't.", Snape said resolutely.

"But if it had! It would be my fault."

"No, it wouldn't.", Snape said with the same firm voice "You did not slash the curtains and you would not have been responsible if something happened to Mr. Weasley."

"But he's after me.", Harry said miserably "If I just..."

"What? Give yourself up to be killed?", Snape snapped angrily "Don't even think about putting yourself into danger."

"But I'm not safe here anyway.", Harry said and sprang up angrily, walking up and down "And I'm putting everyone else here in danger as well."

"Harry, listen.", Snape said "It is not your fault."

"Maybe.", Harry acknowledged "But its true, isn't it?"

Snape stared at him. He couldn't deny that it was true. He had thought the same thing regarding Hogsmeade weekends. But the solution came to him fast and easy. All the more so because it pleased him so much.

"You can stay with me. My wards are probably the safest except the headmaster's and you are with me most of the time anyway." Harry beamed at him "Just make sure to look miserable every time you go down."

Harry looked quite giddy with excitement and went over to hug his father thanks. To his surprise Severus wrapped his arms around Harry and pulled him into his lap.

"Dad!", Harry screamed indignantly "I'm not a baby."

Snape pulled him closer to himself and buried his over large nose in the ever messy black hair, before he said "You are safe."

Harry wanted to say something about it, when he realized that Snape was not trying to sooth him but only sounded relieved, trying to make sure himself that Harry was OK. He felt the arms around him tremble.

"He was so close, one bed to the side and you...", Snape swallowed instead of finishing the sentence. Feeling his own fear diminish in his heart, Harry leaned closer to his father and reassured "I'm alright, Papa."

Secretly quite pleased to be sitting in his father's lap after a near death experience, he didn't fight too much to be let go. That was until the Portrait Hole opened again and Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall entered. Harry tried to scramble off, embarrassed, but Severus held him firmly.

"What about Longbottom?", Severus asked icily, holding his son on his lap, even though he struggled to get off.

"He's stewing in my office, I'll retrieve him soon.", McGonagall said, smiling at them "Don't be embarrassed, Mr. Potter, its quite alright."

Harry's face grew even redder at that, trying to fight his father's grip off, in front of his Head of House and Headmaster.

"Headmaster, I believe Harry's presence in the tower endangers the other students. If it is alright I would wish for him to stay in my quarters until Black is caught."

Dumbledore looked at the struggling Harry on Snape's lap and smiled benignly "Yes, quite alright. Mr. Weasley is unharmed?" Snape nodded "Then I will deal with the Portrait. Take Harry down with you, the elves will gather Harry's things and bring them. I will have them leave a note, so his dorm mates are not alarmed."

With that both Professors left and Snape let Harry spring up from his lap.

"That was horrible of you!", Harry said glaring as his father stood up.

"Quite.", he simply answered "But red suits you so well."

Harry huffed and crossed his arms "Unfair!"


Harry ended up on the sofa in Snape's quarters with a cup of hot chocolate in his hands, while his father got comfortable. When he came back in his sleeping suit and dressing gown, Harry had half of his cup finished.

"Why were you still awake?", Harry asked lazily and took another sip, Severus sat down beside him, casually wrapping one arm around his shoulders.

"I was talking to Minerva."

Harry hummed and finished his cup while leaning at his father's side. When the cup was empty and Harry put it on the table, Snape tugged him to lie down right there, his head in his father's lap.

"What's with you today?", Harry mumbled surprised and too lazy to protest. His father stroked Harry's hair, massaging his skull.

"You have no idea, child, what it feels like to have someone you love come close to death."

"I do.", Harry argued, his voice mumbled because his cheek was pressed against Severus thigh.

"Not like this. Not until you are parent.", Severus answered softly, fear still holding fast to his heart. Sirius was not caught, he would try again, probably until he succeeded. But Severus wouldn't let him, he would kill Black before he dared lay a finger on his son. Severus looked down on the peacefully sleeping child and stopped stroking his hair. His chest was slowly raising and falling, warm breath coming out of his nose. He had no idea of the horrible things Severus knew that Death Eaters had done to children. That he had had to witness. He knew, he knew Black wouldn't finish his pleasure with a mere knife or killing curse. Oh no, he would steal Harry away, torture him and then dispose of the remains in a public area, where everyone could see his handiwork. Snape's stomach clenched painfully. If that happened he would go mad. He had survived Lily's death, but Harry... No, he would find Black and kill him in the messiest way possible. And then he would kill himself, he knew.

He took a sharp breath and closed his eyes, the child meant too much to him, there was no one that even came close. He respected Albus, he liked Minerva, they were his friends. But he would sacrifice them in a blink of an eye if it meant to safe his son. He would never look back. It wasn't healthy, he knew. He should divide his attention and not force Harry to be his only source of love. It was unfair and a much too big burden to place on his thin shoulders. But who else would ever qualify to become as close to him, as dear to him as this child? There had only been Lily. But after her death he had thought there was no way he could ever love anyone that deeply and here he was with her child, thinking the same thing.

Severus shook his head about himself and carefully took Harry into his arms. Standing up with him from the couch wasn't that easy any more, he realized. After Tobias' death he had seen that Harry had dropped back to eating less, but after a few sessions with Marty, as well as visiting the graveside of his parents and grandfather, his appetite had returned. To top the gained weight, Severus had been rather tired out from the day, so he staggered slightly while he walked up to the boy's room. Harry mumbled his protest but stayed asleep. Soon after he had tucked in Harry and watched him take a few deep breaths, to make sure he would not wake when Severus straightened up. Severus brushed his hair away, whispered "sleep well" and then turned to his own room.


But Harry did not sleep well. In the middle of the night Snape awoke to sniffing. At first he felt confused, not sure he was hearing right but then he turned his head and saw...

"Harry?"

His voice was scratchy and he sat up immediately, blinking hard to make sure it was his son standing in the doorway, crying.

"Dad?", he asked shakily, walking inside "Are you OK?"

Severus brushed his own tangled hair away from his face and said "Of course, what's wrong?"

The boy's lip trembled and he shook his head "I wanted to see if you're alright."

With that he turned around, ready to leave again.

"Harry, stop! Come here."

Harry turned around unsure, shivering with bare feet and came back a few paces

"You had a bad dream?"

Harry nodded, embarrassed

"About me?"

He nodded again, avoiding his eyes

"What happened?"

Harry bit his lip and shrugged. Severus reached out and pulled him closer to the bed, swinging his own legs out of it and trapping Harry in between his knees.

"What happened?", he asked again, his voice still scratchy. Harry, quite unusually, leant forward and hugged him tightly. Snape hugged him back, waiting for an answer.

"Black got you.", he said slowly "First it was like what happened earlier. Ron screaming that Black was there and then I looked at his bed, where Ron was pointing and instead of the curtains it was you there... You had a knife in your heart."

Severus pressed him firmly against his chest and said "It was only a dream, I'm alright."

"But what if he comes here next? What if he hurts you?", Harry asked, his voice high pitched

"Shh.", Snape murmured "Its not going to happen, I promise."

Harry shook his head, still shivering. Snape rubbed his arms and back and said "You're cold, lets get you back into bed."

But Harry, just for a moment, stiffened and held on in a panicky way. Then his training in obedience kicked in and he let go with slumped shoulders. Snape regarded him for a moment and then took a deep breath.

"If you want, you can sleep here tonight."

Harry looked up surprised "Here? How?"

"I have a double sized bed and we are both quite skinny, we'll manage."

Harry shook his head, his cheeks turning red "No, its OK."

"Stop being fussy, its alright. No one will know."

With that he crawled back inside and pulled Harry in as well. Even though the boy had protested earlier, he snuggled right up to him. If no one would know, he could enjoy this, right? They fell asleep soon after, tired and safe.


When Severus awoke he felt warm and incredibly good. He slowly opened his eyes, unsure if he wanted to wake or just stay in this blissful state forever. Then memory caught up to him and he looked down to his son in his arms. Well, he couldn't remember having slept that deeply in a while. Black could have slashed all the curtains in the castle and he wouldn't have woken. To hell with sleeping draughts, he grinned, he just needed to sleep with his son by his side. The memory of another time they had slept in the same bed came back to him. Harry had had a bad dream then too and he had held the child to make him feel safe again. To assure him he was there. The same as today. He stroked Harry's hair from his forehead and Harry sleepily turned his head away. Snape smiled and hugged him closer before he said to Harry "Wake up"

He received grumbling in response and Harry buried his face deeper into the embrace, unwilling to wake up to the bright, cold morning.

"Wake up, pumpkin head.", Snape said teasingly "Open your eyes."

Harry obeyed grudgingly and blinked surprised and confused. He looked up with his bright green eyes and Severus could witness his cheeks turning red.

"Morning.", Harry mumbled and looked away "Sorry."

"Nothing to feel sorry about.", Severus said, letting go and sitting up "Now, better get ready for the day."

With that Severus stood up and left the bed

"Papa?", he turned to his child, with his comically messy hair, sticking up like he had been given an electric shock, and sleepily flushed cheeks "Thanks."

"No problem. Just remind me, if I ever suffer from sleeplessness I only have to snuggle you..."

He caught a pillow just in time, that had been launched at him from an embarrassed teenager and threw it back laughing.

The End.
End Notes:
I made it Tuesday, YAY! Share some pumpkin juice with me (no firewhiskey for you, I'm sure there are minors here).

So I'm not quite sure about this chapter. I left out the visit to the graveside and only hinted at it, sorry if you expected something more there... This is a largely positive chapter so I hope I could give you reprieve after all the heart wrenching stuff before. But as you saw I couldn't leave it alone until I had at least a nightmare in there. Maybe I should go see Marty, this can't be healthy :P

Eager for your Opinion!

Atia


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3098