Misunderstandings by Roselina4389
Summary: Snape hates Harry Potter. Harry Potter hates Snape. But once they find out something earth-shattering, they are forced to spend more time with each other than they would have liked. Warning: CP. Twisty father/son.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, James, Lily, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 22108 Read: 97980 Published: 05 Sep 2014 Updated: 09 Aug 2015
Chapter One by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: This is just a beginning chapter. No angst, nothing but plot development. The important stuff happen in the next chapter :)

You must have read all those classic Snape-is-Harry's-biological-father stories, right? Well. Not saying Snape IS Harry's bio father here, but this is a type of...twisty Snape-mentors-Harry story. Hope you like! Please review and tell me what you think. The next chapter will be better, honestly. Oh and this may contain a little corporal punishment in MILD DOSES. Mild isn't too scary, is it? But not until later chapters.

 

Severus Snape's life was not one to be desired. Spying, putting oneself at constant risk, teaching incompetent students, marking and grading tests and exams, doing errands for Dumbledore and the Dark Lord, keeping an eye on the Boy-Who-Lived...

Yep, one wouldn't call such a lifestyle too ideal. No one cared how hard he worked, they just wanted results. In fact, besides "Good lad, Severus!" and a few lemon drops from Dumbledore, and "Well done, Severus," and sitting at the immediate right of the table from the Dark Lord, he really didn't get much gratitude at all.

All his troubles could be traced down to Harry Bloody Potter and seeing him almost everyday wasn't helping this grudge-esspecially after he remembered nearly everyday that he was the son of James Potter and his love, Lily.

In a nutshell, Snape was pissed off today and was not looking forward to Occlumency with Potter.

It was a rainy Monday. Snape's quarters were down in the dungeons, and it was freezing. As he sighed and pulled on his black boots, he noticed the time.

He was going to be late for the lessons if he did not hurry. Snape grumbled as he buttoned up his long, black coat. Potter was an idiot. He was incompetent and useless. Lesson after lesson, the boy just kept getting worse. Why Dumbledore had to choose him of all people to waste evenings and teach that infuriating boy, Snape did not know.

It was right after classes, when both of them were free. Snape walked out of his quarters and briskly walked to his office. He reached there in a short while and closed the door, eyeing the pensieve sitting on his desk.

It was rather uncomfortable putting all of his more...unpleasant thoughts into the pensieve. He had to think about them and then he had to watch them swirl around in the bowl, haunting images which would remain with him forever, no matter they were removed from his mind now.

Snape began to take out his thoughts, one by one, even though Harry hadn't arrived yet.

When he was almost done, he heard a tentative knock on the door.

"Come in," Snape drawled, irritably. The door opened. He heard the light steps of Harry entering the room and closing the door behind him.

Snape placed the last of his memories into the pensieve and turned around to face the boy.

"Have you been practicing?" He asked, taking out his wand.

"Uh...yeah," Potter muttered. Ignoring the informal and impertinent way in which the boy spoke in, Snape suddenly realized that he was lying.

One did not have to be a Legilimens to see that, not with Potter's reluctance to meet his eyes and his fumbling hands.

"Oh?" Snape tried to conceal his anger. "We'll see about that soon enough. Legilimens!"

He watched Harry's memories, one by one, each one more humiliating than the last. But he didn't want to mock the boy. He had done that in the first lesson, and then he had realized his mistake. He knew how tormenting memories could be. But he couldn't help curling his lip when he eventually drew out of Potter's mind, examining the boy panting on all fours, on the dungeon floor.

"Get up," he snapped. "We will try again."

No progress whatsoever. Stupid boy.

Harry's eyes showed fear and anger, but it didn't soften him up in the least.

XXMXX

Harry was breathing heavily as he turned the corner, fresh from another torturous Occlumency lesson. How could Snape have seen him being pushed around like that, without a bat of an eye? He must really hate him...

Harry could still see Uncle Vernon advancing upon him...but luckily Snape hadn't seen what had happened after that. He couldn't have been able to live it down if he had. Because the memory included a belt, lots of begging and profanity.

Harry James Potter never understood what was so special about him-sometimes he wondered if people would look at him twice if he didn't have a red lightning-bolt scar on his forehead. It seemed unlikely.

It was good that he had Hermione and Ron to confide in...

When Harry entered the common room, looking like a wreck, Hermione rushed towards him at once, looking worried. "Harry! What's wrong?"

"Snape didn't hurt you too much, did he?" Ron asked, seriously. He followed Hermione and stared at Harry with concern.

"I'm fine." Harry didn't really want to indulge into how much he hated the lessons. If only he had some more cool memories instead of embarrassing and painful ones...maybe the lessons would actually be enjoyable then..."Honestly,"

Hermione and Ron gave him a skeptic look.

"Honestly," Harry said again. "I'm just a bit tired."

"I still think Snape's trying to soften you up," Ron muttered, darkly.

"Oh, not that rubbish again!" Hermione looked furious.

"You never know!" Ron shot back, flushing.

Okay, maybe having friends who argued all the time was not a very good thing.

Harry gave the two of them a tired look and sighed heavily. Why wouldn't they give it a rest?

XXMXX

The next day, Snape's thoughts were interrupted as he suddenly heard noises outside the classroom's doors. He swept to the dungeon door and opened it. All the talking ceased nearly at once.

"In," The man sneered at everyone, stepping back to allow them room to pass. He saw Potter's dark mop of hair pass under his nose and he grimaced.

He walked to his desk. "Settle down. I don't want anyone to talk. Take out your parchments and quills-I have some points for you to copy down." Snape drawled, looking irritated. He waited for the students to comply impatiently.

He watched Potter as unloaded his bag onto the table just like the disrespectful, messy brat that he was. Potter took out a parchment and a quill and then leant sideways to whisper something into Weasley's ear.

Snape's face contorted. He was just like his father, always whispering to his faithful mates, even when he had specifically ordered no one to talk. "Five points from Gryffindor, Potter," Snape snarled. "If I see you talking again it'll be more,"

Harry glared at him. But he raised an eyebrow in challenge and turned towards the blackboard. He flicked his wand so instructions could be written and copied down.

XXMXX

"I'm sorr...sorr...rry, Pruh...Professor..." Neville Longbottom was blabbering.

"Are you incapable of reading, Longbottom?" Snape shouted, exasperated. This was turning into more than he could handle. "Detention at my office tonight, eight o' clock. This is the sixth cauldron you've burnt. Fifty points from Gryffindor."

All the Gryffindors groaned softly.

"Has anyone here been splashed by the Potion?" Snape snapped dourly.

Some people shook their heads.

"Good. Apparently I was wrong that Longbottom's incompetency could get any worse,"

Some Slytherins sniggered. Neville turned a blotchy red.

Harry glared at him again. He was clenching his fists.

But Snape ignored this gesture. Though he would have liked to take a few more points from Gryffindor for it.

"Get back to work." Snape snapped at everyone. "And you, Longbottom, you stay where you are before you inevitably kill someone,"

The laughs of the Slytherins were so overwhelming that Harry suddenly burst out: "Stop it!"

Everyone turned to look at him, even Ron and Hermione.

"I beg your pardon, Mr Potter?" Snape asked malevolently, his voice indicating his displeasure.

"Stop bullying him! He tries," Harry shot at the Professor, hatred bubbling in his chest.

"Thirty points from Gryffindor along with a detention tomorrow night. Do you have anything else to say, Potter?" Snape raised his eyebrows.

"Taking points from me won't hide the truth!" Harry had never done this before, and it felt wonderful to vent out his rage on the man who had made his life hell for more than four years.

Snape was staring at him calmly. That did not look as if it would bode well.

"Get out of my class, Potter," Snape said suddenly, his voice quiet.

Harry stared. "Wha-?"

"I asked you to leave my class," Snape repeated. "And until you've learnt respect don't expect me to let you back,"

Harry was dumbfounded.

"Go!" Snape shouted and Harry jumped and suddenly got to his feet.

He looked shocked and Snape could see the startled look in his green eyes. But the next second it was replaced by anger and Potter stormed out of his classroom, bag slung over his shoulder and a hideous look aimed over his back.

XXMXX

"I can't believe he sent you out," Ron hissed to Harry at lunch. "He obviously can't stand the truth, can he?"

"He's a nutter," Harry scowled and Ron nodded in agreement.

"That was rather brash of you," Hermione said, disapprovingly. "Snape doesn't usually send students out of class, does he?"

"Who cares?" Harry muttered. "It's not like I missed anything important,"

"You did, actually." Hermione looked indignant. "I think you'd better apologize to Snape, Harry."

"What?" Harry and Ron gaped at her.

"Just so I can go sit back in that stupid dungeon?" Harry demanded.

"No," Hermione said, patiently. "So that he can also teach you Occlumency. If he gets angry, he may stop the lessons,"

"He can't stop doing that-won't Dumbledore say anything?" Ron asked.

"I don't know," Hermione said. "I just think that's it's better not to anger him. He's still a teacher,"

Harry wished that she'd just put a sock in it. He didn't need to apologize to Snape. It was Snape's fault, anyway.

XXMXX

"...Incompetent, arrogant, just like his father," Snape was saying harshly.

Dumbledore sighed and didn't say anything.

"He disrespects me in class. Detentions have no effect whatsoever on him. He is stubbornly rude," Snape was continuing. "I had to send him away today. He shouted at me in front of the wh-"

"Severus, I am sure he was provoked." Dumbledore said, quietly.

Snape stopped. "What are you implying?" He demanded.

"Surely the boy had a reason to-"

"I was simply reprimanding that Longbottom boy. He blew up another potion and damaged school property. Potter had no reason to interfere."

"Severus, you must be more understanding. Neville's parent's-"

"I am aware of it," Snape didn't meet Dumbledore's eyes. "But pitying him will not solve anything."

Dumbledore unwrapped another lemon candy. "Perhaps not, but we must be understanding all the same. Especially for Harry. He has had a difficult past."

Snape spluttered. "Difficult? He lives a comfortable life at his relatives and has several followers and fans, who dote on him because of his undeserved fame. No, do not interrupt me, it is true! I have had enough of that boy and I will not hesitate to discipline him if he pushes me."

Dumbledore sighed again. "Calm down, Severus. We really have wandered from the main topic. Now, I wanted to know about Lord Voldemort's latest scheme."

Snape breathed heavily. "Nothing important, really. He is still getting used to his body, summoning Death Eaters, handing out punishments. He intends to...possess the boy in some way, lead him into his trap or use him to do...specific tasks."

"Like killing me?" Dumbledore suggested, calmly.

Snape flinched slightly. "It is possible. In fact, the connection between their minds is growing-unless Potter masters Occlumency he will be forced to see things which could or could not be true."

"You are teaching him, aren't you?" Dumbledore was staring down at the table, looking concerned but calm. "Giving your best? You know how important it is that he learns,"

"I am doing all I can," Snape said. "It is the boy who refuses to cooperate. In fact, he has hardly made any significant progress at all."

"You must keep trying, Severus," Dumbledore said, a little urgently. "We cannot have Harry imposing danger on himself or anyone else unknowingly,"

Snape didn't reply for a few seconds. Then he sighed, "I will do my best. I give you my word,"

Dumbledore smiled. "Thank you, Severus,"

Snape nodded at him. An invisible understanding seemed to pass through them.

To Be Continued...

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3101