Misunderstandings by Roselina4389
Summary: Snape hates Harry Potter. Harry Potter hates Snape. But once they find out something earth-shattering, they are forced to spend more time with each other than they would have liked. Warning: CP. Twisty father/son.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, James, Lily, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 22108 Read: 97982 Published: 05 Sep 2014 Updated: 09 Aug 2015
Chapter Two by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: I hope this chapter is better than the last. Please review!

Harry wasn't sure if he ought to go to Occlumency or not. Would Snape let him in or would he tell him to take a hike? As he pulled a comb through his hair, Harry wondered what had made Snape lose his temper like that yesterday.

Harry had expected a detention, some points taken, but not an order to never come back to Potions class again. Harry didn't know if it was 'impertinent' to actually not come, but he did know that whatever the case was, he had to confirm things with Snape.

But one thing was for sure-he wasn't apologizing.

Harry walked down to the dungeons. When he reached Snape's office door, he hesitated. Gulping, he knocked softly. At first, there was no answer. Harry shifted from foot to foot, wondering if he ought to go back.

But then, a familiar, sneering voice called out: "Come inside,"

Harry opened the door shakily, entering the room. The stone pensieve sat on the desk as usual. Snape was folding his arms, his back towards it. Harry realised that the man was glaring at him, and he suddenly felt nervous.

"Before we begin, I am sure you have something to say to me, Potter?" Snape enquired.

"No," he said, bluntly. "I have nothing to say, sir,"

Snape looked affronted, angry. Harry was sure that he was in for it now but then Snape went on: "Nothing? Even after what happened at your last potions class, Potter?"

"No." Harry said bravely. His pulse quickened as Snape's voice dropped an octave, the anger ill-disguised: "No? You don't think you may owe me an apology? Are you that arrogant, Potter? Do you have such a high opinion of yourself? Just like your father," he spat the last sentence.

"Don't you say a word against my father!" Harry snapped. "He was a great man!"

"Just because you've been listening to false tales of his heroics-"

"He was brave-he gave his life for me, alright? I'd like it if you just stopped insulting him for once. He's dead, isn't that enough for you?" Harry demanded.

Snape grabbed him by the collar. Harry knew that teachers weren't really allowed to physically hurt a student and that Snape was holding back the urge to beat him into a pulp.

"How dare you?" Snape hissed. "You have no remorse whatsoever! If you think you'll be getting off lightly just because you're the famous Boy-Who-Lived then you are wrong-I've had it with your disrespect," Snape pushed him away and Harry glared back at him.

"You are nothing but an insolent child who doesn't know his worth-you may have been coddled at home but-"

"I was never 'coddled' at home, Professor," Harry said, quietly. "My aunt and uncle hate me,"

There was a stiff silence. Harry could see that Snape was looking for something to say, could see that the man didn't believe him at all.

"They hurt me in ways you can't imagine!" Harry's temper was flaring. "They hated me! They never wanted me-I always had to do chores and work. I slept in a broom cupboard before I got my Hogwarts letter. They even beat me!"

Harry didn't know that his hands were shaking and that his face was white with fury. He felt like crying in rage but he held back the urge. He hadn't meant to tell Snape all this, to be made fun of. But he couldn't stop. His breathing was in harsh rasps.

"You don't know anything about me-I'm just famous because of something I didn't mean to do! I never asked to be famous, did I? I'm not arrogant, and it's pathetic of you to hate me because of my father!"

Snape was staring at him and Harry suddenly felt increasingly awkward. There was a small, oppressive silence and then Snape said, in a quiet voice: "Do you take me for a fool, Potter? You expect me to believe that your relatives beat and mistreat you?"

"You've seen some of the memories, you know it's true!" Harry snarled. "Why would I lie about something like that?"

Snape glared at him. "I have seen nothing like that whatsoever. Hold your tongue or I will shut your mouth for you,"

Harry felt overwhelmed by rage. "It is true! It is! I hate you-I don't care if you don't believe me." Harry suddenly pulled back his sleeve and showed Snape a fading bruise. "See-it's still not gone. But you don't care, do you? You probably feel good that the Boy Who Lived's getting put down a peg or two,"

Snape was utterly silent, his dark eyes glued to the bruise. He seemed to be calculating something in his head.

"Have you got any more bruises like that?" He asked silkily.

Harry blinked, confused. "Why do you care?"

"Answer me." Snape's voice was like steel.

"Yeah, 'course I do, I stay with them all summer," Harry was feeling helpless now, nearly on the verge of tears. "And I don't need you to laugh at me, I know it's pathetic,"

"I wasn't going to laugh at you, Potter," Snape said, slightly defensively. "If you are telling the truth...why did you not inform Professor Dumbledore? I believe he is the one who insists that you stay there?"

"I tried. In my first and second year. But then I gave up. He always changed the subject, brought up my mum's sacrifice." Harry said, glaring at the floor. "I'm fine, alright?" He was starting to realise his mistake. He had told Snape everything!

"You don't seem very fine, Potter," Snape eyed his stance. "Maybe we should continue this lesson next week,"

Harry bit his lip. What had he done? How could he have blurted all of his secrets to Snape?

"Potter?"

Harry looked up at him, green eyes full of bewilderment and shock. "Are-are you sure, sir?" He asked, his voice betraying his distrust and confusion. Why was Snape being suddenly kind to him?

"Yes, Potter, come back next week," Snape said dismissively. "When you aren't an emotional wreck. Occlumency requires a passive stance, as you very well know by now."

"Oh. Okay, then," Harry bemusedly went to the door, turning the cold handle. He turned around and suddenly remembered.

"Am I allowed to come back to Potions class? You said that I wasn't to come and I wasn't sure if..." He trailed off, rather lamely. Harry felt his cheeks burn as he remembered their recent conversation. How could he have told Snape about his beatings?

Snape seemed to be considering this as he stared at him. "I want an apology," he said coldly, though some of the ice had vanished from his voice and he looked rather worriedly at Harry.

Anger boiled in Harry again.

Just say it, get it over with, a voice in his mind advised him.

But Snape doesn't deserve it! Another voice said.

Harry chose his next words carefully..."I'm sorry for disrespecting you sir," He said, finally. "But not for feeling angry. Neville doesn't deserve to be treated like that,"

Snape glowered at him. He had hardly done anything to the Longbottom boy! The way the Gryffindors reacted at every little thing!

"Get out," he ground out and he was glad to see Potter scarper.

XXXXX

Why had he told Snape all of that? Why? Snape would do something awful. He would let it slip to all of his Slytherins! He would tell the Daily Prophet!

Feeling miserable, Harry rushed to his dorm and closed the curtains around his bed. He didn't want any company. He just wanted to moan about his pathetic life for a while.

Snape hadn't looked as distasteful as he had anticipated, though. He even looked rather worried. Harry pushed these ridiculous thoughts away from his head.

Oh, what had he done? He was never going to live this down...

XXXXX

Snape didn't know what he felt as he stared at the floor, leaning against his desk. Maybe a bit of pity...Maybe even remorse for how he had groused at Potter. If the boy was telling the truth...then he had been mistaken about a lot of things. And that bruise...

Snape sighed deeply and made up his mind. He was going to have to talk to Dumbledore. So he made his way to the Headmaster's office, told the stone gargoyle the password and walked up the spiral steps.

"Severus," Dumbledore waved an arm towards a seat. "Would you like a lemon drop?"

"No," Snape said, as was his custom. He sat down and stared down at Dumbledore's desk. "I have a very important thing to tell you. I don't think you are aware of it,"

Dumbledore drummed his fingers together, humming. "Yes, Severus? If you look so sullen it must be important,"

Snape looked into Dumbledore's bright blue eyes and Dumbledore looked back into his.

"It's about-Potter...Potter says that...when Potter came to my office for his Occlumency lesson, he told me something in a fit of anger. He told me that he was abused at home." Snape stared at Dumbledore, hoping for some reaction.

Dumbledore looked blank and then heaved a great sigh. "I see,"

"You see?" Snape felt his temper rising. Did this old man not care that Lily's son was being abused?

"Yes, Harry once told me about it himself. Long ago, mind you. In his first year, I think. When I visited him in the Hospital Wing. I don't really think it is very severe. In fact, it is rather mild and petty by what Harry told me-"

"Not severe?" Snape snarled. "He showed me a bruise! And also hinted that there were more!"

"Severus, calm down, it's nothing to get so-"

"Get so what?" Snape demanded. "Are you being serious right now? He is Lily's son, and she did not die just so he could be treated like trash-"

"It seems to me that you care,"

"I do care," Snape said coldly. "About his well-being and safety. And it is at high risk from what the boy just told me-"

"I cannot do anything because of the blood wards," Dumbledore said, rather firmly and finally. "I cannot remove Harry from his relative's care. Yes, I can write a letter or give Harry some advice as to how to cope with-"

"In other words, you don't care. You're only concerned about your precious war while your saviour suffers," Snape stood up. "I understand. Good day to you, Dumbledore,"

Dumbledore shot him a calculating look but did not reply.

Snape stormed out of the office, shocked at the mild and stony response. He had hoped that the bruise would soften the Headmaster, but in vain. Well, he wasn't standing for it. Under all that fluffy exterior, Dumbledore was a shrewd, manipulating, cold man. If Dumbledore wasn't going to help Harry, he would find a way to himself.

XXXXX

Your next Occlumency lesson is on Monday-Professor Snape

Harry stared at the letter, his heart beating fast. He quickly put it into his pocket when Ron entered the dormitory room.

"You okay?" Ron asked, worriedly. "How was the lesson? Aren't you back kind of early?"

"I am. Snape asked me to come next week instead-on Monday," Harry explained. He shuddered as he remembered what he had told the man about the Dursleys.

"You coming to Potions class, then?"

"He made me apologise to him, so I guess I need to. I can't just skive off Potions class, can I?" Harry muttered.

"Good, you'd miss a lot." Ron said. "Come on downstairs. We're all doing our homework by the fire."

"I'm coming," Harry reassured his friend. He followed Ron down the stairs into the warm common room. Harry still felt hollow and miserable but he forced a smile on his face when he saw Hermione and all of his other friends.

XXXXX

When Monday arrived, everything was a blur for Harry. He couldn't concentrate on his lessons. He got in trouble in Charms for not paying attention. He messed up in Transfiguration. In Herbology, Ron elbowed him.

"What's up with you?" He hissed.

"Nothing, I'm just distracted, that's all," Harry said, defensively.

When the time for the lesson arrived, Harry got so flustered that he even forgot to comb his hair, which was in a worse state than ever.

He reached Snape's office with a white face and slightly shaking hands. He knocked once at the door, took a deep breath, and then entered the room.

"Sit down, Potter," Snape said, in his way of greeting.

Harry sat down on a chair nervously.

Snape sat too, behind his desk.

"Are you sure you are capable of Occluding your mind? You seem rather...anxious today." Snape sneered.

"I'm fine," Harry said firmly.

"Very well. Today's lesson will be a little different. I will give you some time to clear your mind. When you think you are ready, you will tell me to intrude upon your defences. It is not very practical or useful, but it will be better if we start from something small."

"Yes, sir," Harry said gratefully. He stood up and took out his wand. Snape stood too. "Clear your mind, close your eyes. You will tell me when you think you're ready,"

Harry tried his best to clear his mind, but that was so hard. After a while, he finally hissed out: "Ready," and then he felt Snape pushing into his mind.

At first, Harry succeeded in pushing Snape away from certain memories. But then he lost control. A flicker of his uncle glaring at him. Another flicker of him cowering, only a little boy. Another flicker that broadcasted screams and pleading and sharp, whip-like hits...

"STOP IT!" Harry cried, falling to the floor. "Please, don't, don't, I can't..." He didn't know he was sobbing until he felt his tears dampen his shirt.

Snape advanced towards him. "Potter?" He said weakly.

The man attempted to pick him up, but Harry did his best to pull away. Nonetheless Snape righted him and summoned up a potion.

"Here, drink this," Snape pressed the vial to Harry's lips.

Harry drank. He drank like a man dying of thirst, even though he didn't know what the vial was. Poison?

He felt himself suddenly calming down and noticing the state in which he was in.

He gasped at himself. Tears were streaked on his cheeks and his hair was more rumpled up than ever.

"Are you alright?" Snape's voice was laced with concern.

"I'm fine," Harry said weakly, tears still coursing down his red cheeks. "I don't know what got into me. I'm sorry," he felt more tears building up. How embarrassing for Snape to see him like that!

"I think that memory startled you,"

Harry made a sharp, gasping sound. He looked like he would fall but he didn't. "I tried to block you but I couldn't!" He said accusingly.

"It seems that this is a serious matter, Potter. Your relatives must have done something serious for such an effect..." Snape gestured imperceptibly at Harry's tear-stained face.

"I know it's really pathetic and stupid of me, alright?" Harry backed away. "I don't want your-I don't need your-..." Harry broke off angrily.

"Potter, calm down," Snape said cuttingly. "Fix yourself. We're going to the Headmaster,"

Harry stared. "What?"

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3101