Misunderstandings by Roselina4389
Summary: Snape hates Harry Potter. Harry Potter hates Snape. But once they find out something earth-shattering, they are forced to spend more time with each other than they would have liked. Warning: CP. Twisty father/son.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Hermione, James, Lily, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge, Vernon, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Character Death, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 22108 Read: 97982 Published: 05 Sep 2014 Updated: 09 Aug 2015

1. Chapter One by Roselina4389

2. Chapter Two by Roselina4389

3. Chapter Three by Roselina4389

4. Chapter Four by Roselina4389

5. Chapter Five by Roselina4389

6. Chapter Six by Roselina4389

7. Chapter Seven by Roselina4389

8. Chapter Eight by Roselina4389

9. Chapter Nine by Roselina4389

10. Chapter Ten by Roselina4389

11. Chapter Eleven by Roselina4389

12. Chapter Twelve by Roselina4389

13. Chapter Thirteen by Roselina4389

Chapter One by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: This is just a beginning chapter. No angst, nothing but plot development. The important stuff happen in the next chapter :)

You must have read all those classic Snape-is-Harry's-biological-father stories, right? Well. Not saying Snape IS Harry's bio father here, but this is a type of...twisty Snape-mentors-Harry story. Hope you like! Please review and tell me what you think. The next chapter will be better, honestly. Oh and this may contain a little corporal punishment in MILD DOSES. Mild isn't too scary, is it? But not until later chapters.

 

Severus Snape's life was not one to be desired. Spying, putting oneself at constant risk, teaching incompetent students, marking and grading tests and exams, doing errands for Dumbledore and the Dark Lord, keeping an eye on the Boy-Who-Lived...

Yep, one wouldn't call such a lifestyle too ideal. No one cared how hard he worked, they just wanted results. In fact, besides "Good lad, Severus!" and a few lemon drops from Dumbledore, and "Well done, Severus," and sitting at the immediate right of the table from the Dark Lord, he really didn't get much gratitude at all.

All his troubles could be traced down to Harry Bloody Potter and seeing him almost everyday wasn't helping this grudge-esspecially after he remembered nearly everyday that he was the son of James Potter and his love, Lily.

In a nutshell, Snape was pissed off today and was not looking forward to Occlumency with Potter.

It was a rainy Monday. Snape's quarters were down in the dungeons, and it was freezing. As he sighed and pulled on his black boots, he noticed the time.

He was going to be late for the lessons if he did not hurry. Snape grumbled as he buttoned up his long, black coat. Potter was an idiot. He was incompetent and useless. Lesson after lesson, the boy just kept getting worse. Why Dumbledore had to choose him of all people to waste evenings and teach that infuriating boy, Snape did not know.

It was right after classes, when both of them were free. Snape walked out of his quarters and briskly walked to his office. He reached there in a short while and closed the door, eyeing the pensieve sitting on his desk.

It was rather uncomfortable putting all of his more...unpleasant thoughts into the pensieve. He had to think about them and then he had to watch them swirl around in the bowl, haunting images which would remain with him forever, no matter they were removed from his mind now.

Snape began to take out his thoughts, one by one, even though Harry hadn't arrived yet.

When he was almost done, he heard a tentative knock on the door.

"Come in," Snape drawled, irritably. The door opened. He heard the light steps of Harry entering the room and closing the door behind him.

Snape placed the last of his memories into the pensieve and turned around to face the boy.

"Have you been practicing?" He asked, taking out his wand.

"Uh...yeah," Potter muttered. Ignoring the informal and impertinent way in which the boy spoke in, Snape suddenly realized that he was lying.

One did not have to be a Legilimens to see that, not with Potter's reluctance to meet his eyes and his fumbling hands.

"Oh?" Snape tried to conceal his anger. "We'll see about that soon enough. Legilimens!"

He watched Harry's memories, one by one, each one more humiliating than the last. But he didn't want to mock the boy. He had done that in the first lesson, and then he had realized his mistake. He knew how tormenting memories could be. But he couldn't help curling his lip when he eventually drew out of Potter's mind, examining the boy panting on all fours, on the dungeon floor.

"Get up," he snapped. "We will try again."

No progress whatsoever. Stupid boy.

Harry's eyes showed fear and anger, but it didn't soften him up in the least.

XXMXX

Harry was breathing heavily as he turned the corner, fresh from another torturous Occlumency lesson. How could Snape have seen him being pushed around like that, without a bat of an eye? He must really hate him...

Harry could still see Uncle Vernon advancing upon him...but luckily Snape hadn't seen what had happened after that. He couldn't have been able to live it down if he had. Because the memory included a belt, lots of begging and profanity.

Harry James Potter never understood what was so special about him-sometimes he wondered if people would look at him twice if he didn't have a red lightning-bolt scar on his forehead. It seemed unlikely.

It was good that he had Hermione and Ron to confide in...

When Harry entered the common room, looking like a wreck, Hermione rushed towards him at once, looking worried. "Harry! What's wrong?"

"Snape didn't hurt you too much, did he?" Ron asked, seriously. He followed Hermione and stared at Harry with concern.

"I'm fine." Harry didn't really want to indulge into how much he hated the lessons. If only he had some more cool memories instead of embarrassing and painful ones...maybe the lessons would actually be enjoyable then..."Honestly,"

Hermione and Ron gave him a skeptic look.

"Honestly," Harry said again. "I'm just a bit tired."

"I still think Snape's trying to soften you up," Ron muttered, darkly.

"Oh, not that rubbish again!" Hermione looked furious.

"You never know!" Ron shot back, flushing.

Okay, maybe having friends who argued all the time was not a very good thing.

Harry gave the two of them a tired look and sighed heavily. Why wouldn't they give it a rest?

XXMXX

The next day, Snape's thoughts were interrupted as he suddenly heard noises outside the classroom's doors. He swept to the dungeon door and opened it. All the talking ceased nearly at once.

"In," The man sneered at everyone, stepping back to allow them room to pass. He saw Potter's dark mop of hair pass under his nose and he grimaced.

He walked to his desk. "Settle down. I don't want anyone to talk. Take out your parchments and quills-I have some points for you to copy down." Snape drawled, looking irritated. He waited for the students to comply impatiently.

He watched Potter as unloaded his bag onto the table just like the disrespectful, messy brat that he was. Potter took out a parchment and a quill and then leant sideways to whisper something into Weasley's ear.

Snape's face contorted. He was just like his father, always whispering to his faithful mates, even when he had specifically ordered no one to talk. "Five points from Gryffindor, Potter," Snape snarled. "If I see you talking again it'll be more,"

Harry glared at him. But he raised an eyebrow in challenge and turned towards the blackboard. He flicked his wand so instructions could be written and copied down.

XXMXX

"I'm sorr...sorr...rry, Pruh...Professor..." Neville Longbottom was blabbering.

"Are you incapable of reading, Longbottom?" Snape shouted, exasperated. This was turning into more than he could handle. "Detention at my office tonight, eight o' clock. This is the sixth cauldron you've burnt. Fifty points from Gryffindor."

All the Gryffindors groaned softly.

"Has anyone here been splashed by the Potion?" Snape snapped dourly.

Some people shook their heads.

"Good. Apparently I was wrong that Longbottom's incompetency could get any worse,"

Some Slytherins sniggered. Neville turned a blotchy red.

Harry glared at him again. He was clenching his fists.

But Snape ignored this gesture. Though he would have liked to take a few more points from Gryffindor for it.

"Get back to work." Snape snapped at everyone. "And you, Longbottom, you stay where you are before you inevitably kill someone,"

The laughs of the Slytherins were so overwhelming that Harry suddenly burst out: "Stop it!"

Everyone turned to look at him, even Ron and Hermione.

"I beg your pardon, Mr Potter?" Snape asked malevolently, his voice indicating his displeasure.

"Stop bullying him! He tries," Harry shot at the Professor, hatred bubbling in his chest.

"Thirty points from Gryffindor along with a detention tomorrow night. Do you have anything else to say, Potter?" Snape raised his eyebrows.

"Taking points from me won't hide the truth!" Harry had never done this before, and it felt wonderful to vent out his rage on the man who had made his life hell for more than four years.

Snape was staring at him calmly. That did not look as if it would bode well.

"Get out of my class, Potter," Snape said suddenly, his voice quiet.

Harry stared. "Wha-?"

"I asked you to leave my class," Snape repeated. "And until you've learnt respect don't expect me to let you back,"

Harry was dumbfounded.

"Go!" Snape shouted and Harry jumped and suddenly got to his feet.

He looked shocked and Snape could see the startled look in his green eyes. But the next second it was replaced by anger and Potter stormed out of his classroom, bag slung over his shoulder and a hideous look aimed over his back.

XXMXX

"I can't believe he sent you out," Ron hissed to Harry at lunch. "He obviously can't stand the truth, can he?"

"He's a nutter," Harry scowled and Ron nodded in agreement.

"That was rather brash of you," Hermione said, disapprovingly. "Snape doesn't usually send students out of class, does he?"

"Who cares?" Harry muttered. "It's not like I missed anything important,"

"You did, actually." Hermione looked indignant. "I think you'd better apologize to Snape, Harry."

"What?" Harry and Ron gaped at her.

"Just so I can go sit back in that stupid dungeon?" Harry demanded.

"No," Hermione said, patiently. "So that he can also teach you Occlumency. If he gets angry, he may stop the lessons,"

"He can't stop doing that-won't Dumbledore say anything?" Ron asked.

"I don't know," Hermione said. "I just think that's it's better not to anger him. He's still a teacher,"

Harry wished that she'd just put a sock in it. He didn't need to apologize to Snape. It was Snape's fault, anyway.

XXMXX

"...Incompetent, arrogant, just like his father," Snape was saying harshly.

Dumbledore sighed and didn't say anything.

"He disrespects me in class. Detentions have no effect whatsoever on him. He is stubbornly rude," Snape was continuing. "I had to send him away today. He shouted at me in front of the wh-"

"Severus, I am sure he was provoked." Dumbledore said, quietly.

Snape stopped. "What are you implying?" He demanded.

"Surely the boy had a reason to-"

"I was simply reprimanding that Longbottom boy. He blew up another potion and damaged school property. Potter had no reason to interfere."

"Severus, you must be more understanding. Neville's parent's-"

"I am aware of it," Snape didn't meet Dumbledore's eyes. "But pitying him will not solve anything."

Dumbledore unwrapped another lemon candy. "Perhaps not, but we must be understanding all the same. Especially for Harry. He has had a difficult past."

Snape spluttered. "Difficult? He lives a comfortable life at his relatives and has several followers and fans, who dote on him because of his undeserved fame. No, do not interrupt me, it is true! I have had enough of that boy and I will not hesitate to discipline him if he pushes me."

Dumbledore sighed again. "Calm down, Severus. We really have wandered from the main topic. Now, I wanted to know about Lord Voldemort's latest scheme."

Snape breathed heavily. "Nothing important, really. He is still getting used to his body, summoning Death Eaters, handing out punishments. He intends to...possess the boy in some way, lead him into his trap or use him to do...specific tasks."

"Like killing me?" Dumbledore suggested, calmly.

Snape flinched slightly. "It is possible. In fact, the connection between their minds is growing-unless Potter masters Occlumency he will be forced to see things which could or could not be true."

"You are teaching him, aren't you?" Dumbledore was staring down at the table, looking concerned but calm. "Giving your best? You know how important it is that he learns,"

"I am doing all I can," Snape said. "It is the boy who refuses to cooperate. In fact, he has hardly made any significant progress at all."

"You must keep trying, Severus," Dumbledore said, a little urgently. "We cannot have Harry imposing danger on himself or anyone else unknowingly,"

Snape didn't reply for a few seconds. Then he sighed, "I will do my best. I give you my word,"

Dumbledore smiled. "Thank you, Severus,"

Snape nodded at him. An invisible understanding seemed to pass through them.

To Be Continued...

To be continued...
Chapter Two by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: I hope this chapter is better than the last. Please review!

Harry wasn't sure if he ought to go to Occlumency or not. Would Snape let him in or would he tell him to take a hike? As he pulled a comb through his hair, Harry wondered what had made Snape lose his temper like that yesterday.

Harry had expected a detention, some points taken, but not an order to never come back to Potions class again. Harry didn't know if it was 'impertinent' to actually not come, but he did know that whatever the case was, he had to confirm things with Snape.

But one thing was for sure-he wasn't apologizing.

Harry walked down to the dungeons. When he reached Snape's office door, he hesitated. Gulping, he knocked softly. At first, there was no answer. Harry shifted from foot to foot, wondering if he ought to go back.

But then, a familiar, sneering voice called out: "Come inside,"

Harry opened the door shakily, entering the room. The stone pensieve sat on the desk as usual. Snape was folding his arms, his back towards it. Harry realised that the man was glaring at him, and he suddenly felt nervous.

"Before we begin, I am sure you have something to say to me, Potter?" Snape enquired.

"No," he said, bluntly. "I have nothing to say, sir,"

Snape looked affronted, angry. Harry was sure that he was in for it now but then Snape went on: "Nothing? Even after what happened at your last potions class, Potter?"

"No." Harry said bravely. His pulse quickened as Snape's voice dropped an octave, the anger ill-disguised: "No? You don't think you may owe me an apology? Are you that arrogant, Potter? Do you have such a high opinion of yourself? Just like your father," he spat the last sentence.

"Don't you say a word against my father!" Harry snapped. "He was a great man!"

"Just because you've been listening to false tales of his heroics-"

"He was brave-he gave his life for me, alright? I'd like it if you just stopped insulting him for once. He's dead, isn't that enough for you?" Harry demanded.

Snape grabbed him by the collar. Harry knew that teachers weren't really allowed to physically hurt a student and that Snape was holding back the urge to beat him into a pulp.

"How dare you?" Snape hissed. "You have no remorse whatsoever! If you think you'll be getting off lightly just because you're the famous Boy-Who-Lived then you are wrong-I've had it with your disrespect," Snape pushed him away and Harry glared back at him.

"You are nothing but an insolent child who doesn't know his worth-you may have been coddled at home but-"

"I was never 'coddled' at home, Professor," Harry said, quietly. "My aunt and uncle hate me,"

There was a stiff silence. Harry could see that Snape was looking for something to say, could see that the man didn't believe him at all.

"They hurt me in ways you can't imagine!" Harry's temper was flaring. "They hated me! They never wanted me-I always had to do chores and work. I slept in a broom cupboard before I got my Hogwarts letter. They even beat me!"

Harry didn't know that his hands were shaking and that his face was white with fury. He felt like crying in rage but he held back the urge. He hadn't meant to tell Snape all this, to be made fun of. But he couldn't stop. His breathing was in harsh rasps.

"You don't know anything about me-I'm just famous because of something I didn't mean to do! I never asked to be famous, did I? I'm not arrogant, and it's pathetic of you to hate me because of my father!"

Snape was staring at him and Harry suddenly felt increasingly awkward. There was a small, oppressive silence and then Snape said, in a quiet voice: "Do you take me for a fool, Potter? You expect me to believe that your relatives beat and mistreat you?"

"You've seen some of the memories, you know it's true!" Harry snarled. "Why would I lie about something like that?"

Snape glared at him. "I have seen nothing like that whatsoever. Hold your tongue or I will shut your mouth for you,"

Harry felt overwhelmed by rage. "It is true! It is! I hate you-I don't care if you don't believe me." Harry suddenly pulled back his sleeve and showed Snape a fading bruise. "See-it's still not gone. But you don't care, do you? You probably feel good that the Boy Who Lived's getting put down a peg or two,"

Snape was utterly silent, his dark eyes glued to the bruise. He seemed to be calculating something in his head.

"Have you got any more bruises like that?" He asked silkily.

Harry blinked, confused. "Why do you care?"

"Answer me." Snape's voice was like steel.

"Yeah, 'course I do, I stay with them all summer," Harry was feeling helpless now, nearly on the verge of tears. "And I don't need you to laugh at me, I know it's pathetic,"

"I wasn't going to laugh at you, Potter," Snape said, slightly defensively. "If you are telling the truth...why did you not inform Professor Dumbledore? I believe he is the one who insists that you stay there?"

"I tried. In my first and second year. But then I gave up. He always changed the subject, brought up my mum's sacrifice." Harry said, glaring at the floor. "I'm fine, alright?" He was starting to realise his mistake. He had told Snape everything!

"You don't seem very fine, Potter," Snape eyed his stance. "Maybe we should continue this lesson next week,"

Harry bit his lip. What had he done? How could he have blurted all of his secrets to Snape?

"Potter?"

Harry looked up at him, green eyes full of bewilderment and shock. "Are-are you sure, sir?" He asked, his voice betraying his distrust and confusion. Why was Snape being suddenly kind to him?

"Yes, Potter, come back next week," Snape said dismissively. "When you aren't an emotional wreck. Occlumency requires a passive stance, as you very well know by now."

"Oh. Okay, then," Harry bemusedly went to the door, turning the cold handle. He turned around and suddenly remembered.

"Am I allowed to come back to Potions class? You said that I wasn't to come and I wasn't sure if..." He trailed off, rather lamely. Harry felt his cheeks burn as he remembered their recent conversation. How could he have told Snape about his beatings?

Snape seemed to be considering this as he stared at him. "I want an apology," he said coldly, though some of the ice had vanished from his voice and he looked rather worriedly at Harry.

Anger boiled in Harry again.

Just say it, get it over with, a voice in his mind advised him.

But Snape doesn't deserve it! Another voice said.

Harry chose his next words carefully..."I'm sorry for disrespecting you sir," He said, finally. "But not for feeling angry. Neville doesn't deserve to be treated like that,"

Snape glowered at him. He had hardly done anything to the Longbottom boy! The way the Gryffindors reacted at every little thing!

"Get out," he ground out and he was glad to see Potter scarper.

XXXXX

Why had he told Snape all of that? Why? Snape would do something awful. He would let it slip to all of his Slytherins! He would tell the Daily Prophet!

Feeling miserable, Harry rushed to his dorm and closed the curtains around his bed. He didn't want any company. He just wanted to moan about his pathetic life for a while.

Snape hadn't looked as distasteful as he had anticipated, though. He even looked rather worried. Harry pushed these ridiculous thoughts away from his head.

Oh, what had he done? He was never going to live this down...

XXXXX

Snape didn't know what he felt as he stared at the floor, leaning against his desk. Maybe a bit of pity...Maybe even remorse for how he had groused at Potter. If the boy was telling the truth...then he had been mistaken about a lot of things. And that bruise...

Snape sighed deeply and made up his mind. He was going to have to talk to Dumbledore. So he made his way to the Headmaster's office, told the stone gargoyle the password and walked up the spiral steps.

"Severus," Dumbledore waved an arm towards a seat. "Would you like a lemon drop?"

"No," Snape said, as was his custom. He sat down and stared down at Dumbledore's desk. "I have a very important thing to tell you. I don't think you are aware of it,"

Dumbledore drummed his fingers together, humming. "Yes, Severus? If you look so sullen it must be important,"

Snape looked into Dumbledore's bright blue eyes and Dumbledore looked back into his.

"It's about-Potter...Potter says that...when Potter came to my office for his Occlumency lesson, he told me something in a fit of anger. He told me that he was abused at home." Snape stared at Dumbledore, hoping for some reaction.

Dumbledore looked blank and then heaved a great sigh. "I see,"

"You see?" Snape felt his temper rising. Did this old man not care that Lily's son was being abused?

"Yes, Harry once told me about it himself. Long ago, mind you. In his first year, I think. When I visited him in the Hospital Wing. I don't really think it is very severe. In fact, it is rather mild and petty by what Harry told me-"

"Not severe?" Snape snarled. "He showed me a bruise! And also hinted that there were more!"

"Severus, calm down, it's nothing to get so-"

"Get so what?" Snape demanded. "Are you being serious right now? He is Lily's son, and she did not die just so he could be treated like trash-"

"It seems to me that you care,"

"I do care," Snape said coldly. "About his well-being and safety. And it is at high risk from what the boy just told me-"

"I cannot do anything because of the blood wards," Dumbledore said, rather firmly and finally. "I cannot remove Harry from his relative's care. Yes, I can write a letter or give Harry some advice as to how to cope with-"

"In other words, you don't care. You're only concerned about your precious war while your saviour suffers," Snape stood up. "I understand. Good day to you, Dumbledore,"

Dumbledore shot him a calculating look but did not reply.

Snape stormed out of the office, shocked at the mild and stony response. He had hoped that the bruise would soften the Headmaster, but in vain. Well, he wasn't standing for it. Under all that fluffy exterior, Dumbledore was a shrewd, manipulating, cold man. If Dumbledore wasn't going to help Harry, he would find a way to himself.

XXXXX

Your next Occlumency lesson is on Monday-Professor Snape

Harry stared at the letter, his heart beating fast. He quickly put it into his pocket when Ron entered the dormitory room.

"You okay?" Ron asked, worriedly. "How was the lesson? Aren't you back kind of early?"

"I am. Snape asked me to come next week instead-on Monday," Harry explained. He shuddered as he remembered what he had told the man about the Dursleys.

"You coming to Potions class, then?"

"He made me apologise to him, so I guess I need to. I can't just skive off Potions class, can I?" Harry muttered.

"Good, you'd miss a lot." Ron said. "Come on downstairs. We're all doing our homework by the fire."

"I'm coming," Harry reassured his friend. He followed Ron down the stairs into the warm common room. Harry still felt hollow and miserable but he forced a smile on his face when he saw Hermione and all of his other friends.

XXXXX

When Monday arrived, everything was a blur for Harry. He couldn't concentrate on his lessons. He got in trouble in Charms for not paying attention. He messed up in Transfiguration. In Herbology, Ron elbowed him.

"What's up with you?" He hissed.

"Nothing, I'm just distracted, that's all," Harry said, defensively.

When the time for the lesson arrived, Harry got so flustered that he even forgot to comb his hair, which was in a worse state than ever.

He reached Snape's office with a white face and slightly shaking hands. He knocked once at the door, took a deep breath, and then entered the room.

"Sit down, Potter," Snape said, in his way of greeting.

Harry sat down on a chair nervously.

Snape sat too, behind his desk.

"Are you sure you are capable of Occluding your mind? You seem rather...anxious today." Snape sneered.

"I'm fine," Harry said firmly.

"Very well. Today's lesson will be a little different. I will give you some time to clear your mind. When you think you are ready, you will tell me to intrude upon your defences. It is not very practical or useful, but it will be better if we start from something small."

"Yes, sir," Harry said gratefully. He stood up and took out his wand. Snape stood too. "Clear your mind, close your eyes. You will tell me when you think you're ready,"

Harry tried his best to clear his mind, but that was so hard. After a while, he finally hissed out: "Ready," and then he felt Snape pushing into his mind.

At first, Harry succeeded in pushing Snape away from certain memories. But then he lost control. A flicker of his uncle glaring at him. Another flicker of him cowering, only a little boy. Another flicker that broadcasted screams and pleading and sharp, whip-like hits...

"STOP IT!" Harry cried, falling to the floor. "Please, don't, don't, I can't..." He didn't know he was sobbing until he felt his tears dampen his shirt.

Snape advanced towards him. "Potter?" He said weakly.

The man attempted to pick him up, but Harry did his best to pull away. Nonetheless Snape righted him and summoned up a potion.

"Here, drink this," Snape pressed the vial to Harry's lips.

Harry drank. He drank like a man dying of thirst, even though he didn't know what the vial was. Poison?

He felt himself suddenly calming down and noticing the state in which he was in.

He gasped at himself. Tears were streaked on his cheeks and his hair was more rumpled up than ever.

"Are you alright?" Snape's voice was laced with concern.

"I'm fine," Harry said weakly, tears still coursing down his red cheeks. "I don't know what got into me. I'm sorry," he felt more tears building up. How embarrassing for Snape to see him like that!

"I think that memory startled you,"

Harry made a sharp, gasping sound. He looked like he would fall but he didn't. "I tried to block you but I couldn't!" He said accusingly.

"It seems that this is a serious matter, Potter. Your relatives must have done something serious for such an effect..." Snape gestured imperceptibly at Harry's tear-stained face.

"I know it's really pathetic and stupid of me, alright?" Harry backed away. "I don't want your-I don't need your-..." Harry broke off angrily.

"Potter, calm down," Snape said cuttingly. "Fix yourself. We're going to the Headmaster,"

Harry stared. "What?"

 

To be continued...
Chapter Three by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
A/N: Reviews are treasured as usual.

 

 

"You heard me, Potter," Snape said.

"I don't want to go," Harry replied, blinking at Snape dumbly. "You can't make me,"

"Yes, I can. Don't reduce me to brute force, Potter," Snape threatened.

"Dumbledore doesn't even want to talk to me! He ignores me. I won't go to him and that's final,"

"Are you disobeying a Professor?" Snape demanded.

"Yeah, I am." Harry said insolently. He walked to the office door, opened it, and hurriedly went out before Snape could kill him. That git couldn't make him go. Harry would rather that he kept his nose in his own businesses. Feeling extremely humiliated and flustered, Harry went back to his dorm, trying to clean his tearful face. Oh God! He had cried.

Meanwhile, Snape glared at the office door. He would punish the boy for it later. For now, he had to talk to Dumbledore. This was much more serious that he had thought. The memory had been awful. In fact, it had reduced the Boy-Who-Lived to tears.

XXXXX

"...You can't ignore me now, can you?" Snape was saying. "Not after he collapsed,"

"No, I don't think I can," Dumbledore sighed.

The man was always sighing around him! Snape thought angrily.

"He is a lot like you," Dumbledore said, as if it was an afterthought. "I realize that..."

"Excuse me?" Snape demanded. "How can he be like me?"

Dumbledore looked thoughtful. "Perhaps...?"

"You are making no sense!"

Dumbledore sighed and shook his head. He said softly, evidently to himself. "No, no I can't."

"Dumbledore I-"

"I think you should resume the Occlumency lessons, except avoid those certain memories," Dumbledore said. "It will be better for both of you."

"I refuse," Snape said immediately. "I won't teach him until you do something about those relatives of his."

"Severus-"

"How dare you sit there, all calm, while your precious saviour is getting beaten up. You don't care about anyone but yourself!"

"Calm down, let us talk this over-"

But Snape had already left the office, only the sound of the tips of his boots walking down the steps audible.

XXXXX

Harry was still snuffling into his pillow when Neville spotted him.

"You okay, Harry? Do you have a cold?" Neville looked scared.

"'M fine," Harry's voice was muffled. He sat up, rubbing at his sore eyes. He couldn't see very well, his glasses were much too blurry. He took them off and started to clean them. He put them back on but they still seemed oddly blurry. Huh?

"Do you want me to get you something?" Neville asked, still hovering near his bed. "I could if you want. You seem to be upset, or maybe I should just leave you alone-?"

"Calm down, Neville. I'm fine, honestly." Harry said, squinting. He tried to wipe his glasses clean again.

Neville looked ever so slightly hurt but he said, cheerily: "That's good, Harry. Anyway, I'll be in the common room if you need me." He gestured his head towards a book in his hands. "Just came to get this!"

"Oh, okay," Harry watched him go downstairs a little disappointedly. Neville was a little clumsy and forgetful, but nice most of the time.

He looked at the mirror on the wall and hurriedly smoothened his hair. They were much less messier than normal. In fact, they were nearly straight and a little darker. Harry looked at them puzzledly. Nothing stuck at the back of his head anymore and he felt suddenly scared. What had happened to his hair? Once again, he tried to clean his glasses but they still made him see blurry. He went downstairs with them to the common room.

Hermione was doing something on a parchment and she smiled when she saw him. "Harry?"

"Hey," Harry took a seat and sat down next to her. He handed her his glasses. "Could you try a cleaning spell on them? They seem to be blurry,"

Hermione helpfully waved her wand at the round glasses and then held them back to Harry.

Harry wore them and frowned. "Still blurry." He said. "Weird."

"Oh, Harry! Maybe your number's decreased!" Hermione said, brightly.

"My what?"

"You know, your number. Maybe it's decreased a bit. It might be blurry because of that." Hermione said. "When we go to Hogsmeade, there's an optic shop round the corner. You could go there,"

"Right. Well. What do I do know? The Hogsmeade trip's this weekend. And I've got four days till Saturday."

Before Hermione could answer, Ron came running up to them. He was breathing heavily. "Harry! It's Dumbledore! He wants to speak to you!"

A wave of shock froze Harry numb as comprehension and dismay fell upon him.

XXX

"You wanted to see me, Sir?"

Harry wasn't sure he liked the Headmaster much, especially after the old man had ignored him.

"Ah, sit Harry," Dumbledore was still not meeting his gaze, his eyes fixed at a point on his shoulder.

Harry sat and waited for the Headmaster to begin.

"Harry, Professor Snape-" Harry felt furious. How dare Snape tell Dumbledore everything! "-Has told me that perhaps you are feeling uncomfortable with the Occlumency lessons. Now, I must advise you to-"

"Excuse me, sir," Harry said sharply. "But why are you speaking to me now? I thought you were set on ignoring my existence? And how much did Snape tell you?"

"Professor Sn-"

"Yeah, yeah, answer the question," Harry couldn't help feeling his temper rise.

Dumbledore didn't say anything for a while.

"Harry, that is not important right now. What is important that-"

"Look, you can't just force me to..." Harry trailed off, suddenly squinting. He took off his glasses and blinked. Everything seemed eerily clear.

"Harry?"

"My-my glasses. They're really blurry, no matter what I do. And-and I can see..." Harry was suddenly very frightened. "I can see everything,"

Dumbledore looked calculating and then startled.

"Give them to me," he said. He used a spell on them and frowned. "They seem fine. Perhaps you should go to an optician Harry. You can get your number checked,"

"Oh," Harry said dumbly.

Dumbledore suddenly looked scared. "You can see me, you say?"

"Yeah, I can. Weird, isn't it?"

"Quite." Was it his strange vision or did Dumbledore suddenly look pale and scared but was schooling his face into a calm mask?

"Well, as I was saying," Dumbledore handed him back the glasses. "You must continue the lessons. They are of utmost importance to you and everyone in the Wizarding Community-"

"But what did Snape tell you?" Harry asked.

"He was obscure," Dumbledore said carefully, not bothering to correct Harry's informality. "He only told me that you were getting extremely anxious during the lessons and perhaps I should talk to you,"

Harry relaxed. So Snape hadn't told Dumbledore everything? Well, that was a decent thing to do. Weird for Snape, but yeah, decent.

"Alright sir, but the lessons are too much hassle for me," Harry said. "I still don't get why I need them. Things just seem to get worse after them and-"

"Harry, it is of no need for you to know why you do or do not need them. You must take them anyhow and I order you to. Now, this conversation is over. I was simply trying to lighten you up. You can go now, Harry, your friends will be waiting."

Harry stared at Dumbledore and suddenly left without a word. His feelings were mixed, but the negative ones were overcoming the positive ones.

 

To be continued...
Chapter Four by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: Reviews make me happy!

 

Harry suffered during classes. Once things got so bad that he actually took off his glasses and tried reading the board. Things were much clearer. But the situation was much blurrier.

Occlumency was usually on Thursday, but when Harry, rigid and tense, arrived at Snape's office, a magical note swept in front of him, stating that the man was busy at the moment and that he was to report on Monday evening instead. Harry didn't know if he was more relieved or annoyed.

Friday passed by in a blur of strange happenings. Harry's hair, much more manageable now, looked shiny and glossy and Hermione noticed.

"Wow Harry! Your hair's really looking good today," she said and then blushed. Ron looked annoyed.

"Yeah, but I don't really get why. They aren't nearly as messy as they used to be," Harry said, not understanding her sudden embarrassment and wondering anew about his newly easy-to-manage hair.

"Oh, do stop squinting!" Hermione said suddenly. "Just take off your glasses, Harry."

"I look weird," Harry said self-consciously.

"These round specs are weirder," Ron joked, plucking them off. He and Hermione stared at Harry.

"I look stupid, don't I?" Harry muttered.

"A little bereft." Hermione said carefully. "But perhaps if we got used to it, you'd look fine,"

Harry blinked. He hadn't noticed before the prominent dimple on Hermione's cheek and when he snatched his glasses back it seemed to disappear in a blurry haze.

He couldn't wait to get his eyes checked. This was just getting confusing.

XXX

Harry was glad to note that, despite the change in his eyes, the colour was still intact. He loved having a piece of his mother on him and wouldn't change his eyes for the world. He dragged a hand through his hair and saw as they fell loosely over his face. He tensed. It should have gotten untidy, it should have stuck up at the back and looked as if he had just tumbled out of bed. It shouldn't have hung over his face like that.

Maybe it was his new shampoo? Harry shook his head. He'd been using the same shampoo for like, forever. Nothing like this had ever happened.

"Hey, will you keep staring at yourself or will you get a move on?" Ron demanded. "Hogsmeade trips only happen once in a while, you know!"

"Coming!" Harry quickly wore a scarf and he and Ron walked out of the common room together. They met Hermione at the entrance of the castle and the three of them walked out into the grounds.

Soon they reached Hogsmeade. Hermione suggested that they go to that optics shop first, but Ron declared that he was starving. So they made a visit to The Three Broomsticks and ordered some sandwiches and drinks.

"And fries," Ron said, smoothening his red hair when Madam Rosmerta looked at him. He blushed as she walked away with their orders.

They ate and talked. Harry found himself enjoying their company very much. Soon they were all full and were heading towards the optics shop.

"Shall we come in too?" Hermione asked Harry.

"Sure," Harry said. "D'you think I should buy some new frames? They look pretty good..." He looked wistfully at a blue pair of glasses.

"Let's check your number first," Hermione advised. She suddenly held Harry back from a group of passing people. "Watch out, Harry!"

"Whoops," Harry took a swipe at his glasses again but they stayed resolutely blurry. Once they had entered the shop, the optics man took a special magical eye-test. He made Harry take off his glasses and peer at pictures on the wall.

"Do you see the broom?" He asked.

"Er, yeah," Harry peered at the projection from far away, a magical lense hovering in the air.

The man looked confused. "Clearly? Do you see the name of the broom, too?"

"Yeah,"

"What is it?"

"The Boomerang?" Harry read.

The man looked more confused than ever. "But...I have barely put a .5 lense! You don't need glasses at all!"

XXX

This stunning revelation did not wear off even when Hermione, Ron and Harry came back to the castle.

"Don't-don't need glasses..." Ron was shocked.

"How is that possible? What could have happened?" Harry was miserably confused.

"Maybe you got hit by a spell? A spell which healed you? Maybe you accidentally healed yourself? Maybe you drank a special potion?-" Ron began.

"Unlikely," Harry said.

"Well, it's certainly rather strange," Hermione said, perplexed. "Maybe that man got it wrong?"

"How else would I have been able to see that broom?" Harry demanded. "It's obvious-I don't need glasses!"

"Hey, don't take a swipe at us!" Ron retorted. "We didn't do this to you!"

"I know that, I'm just trying to-"

"Okay, okay, that's enough," Hermione said, firmly. "Can we please discuss this in the common room, not in the open air where anyone can hear us?"

XXX

Snape sipped his coffee as he started grading his stack of essays. Dipping the quill into the pot of ink, he started on the corrections. He absolutely hated checking essays. The only fun part was giving the essays their marks at the end-huge spiky Ds and Ps.

Ha! He had never gotten a D in his life. He wondered why the people who wrote these essays took school so unseriously. He was just trying to translate what somebody had written on his or her essay when there was a knock on the door. He sighed and put the quill aside and went to open the door. It was rather unusual for anyone to visit him in his quarters. At least here he deserved some privacy.

When he opened the door, he saw Dumbledore. He scowled at the Headmaster but settled for a sarcastic greeting, "Oh, a pleasure Headmaster. What brings you here at this time?"

"We need to talk, Severus," Dumbledore said disapprovingly.

"I am rather busy, perhaps another time?-"

"No. I want to talk to you now,"

Snape frowned at him. No choice, he let the Headmaster in. They sat on one of Snape's stiff chairs.

"Well, Dumbledore?" Snape motioned for the old man to start.

"It is about the Occlumency lessons, why haven't you started them again?"

Snape's temper flared. "Excuse me?"

"I am aware that you sent Harry back this Thursday,"

"I was busy," Snape said, stiffly. "Believe it or not, Dumbledore-I spy for two people, teach and grade and am a Head of House-I am busy."

"So busy that you couldn't-"

"I asked him to come back on Monday," Snape said, stubbornly. "I don't see what the problem is."

"So you are resuming the lessons?"

"Yes, you ordered me to, Headmater. How can I go against your will?" Snape's teeth were gritted.

"I do not like the animosity that is going on between us, Severus," Dumbledore sighed. "It is not like I do not care for Harry. It's just that the circumstances are such-"

"Nothing will happen to the war if you give him a better home," Snape said lightly. "But you know best, of course. My job was to inform you. Now I'd rather you go as I have a stack of essays I need to finish before tomorrow,"

Dumbledore sighed and got up. "Goodbye Severus,"

Snape didn't reply. He was much too angry to reply.

XXX

"Things are getting risky, the charms are wearing off," Dumbledore muttered to himself. Nearby, Fawkes squawked and ruffled his feathers.

Dumbledore was extremely stressed.

XXX

Harry knew that not wearing glasses was going to attract attention to him. Lots of it. Whenever he took off his specs for even a second, people stared and some Slytherins asked if someone had broken them. All Harry could do was dumbly put them back on.

However, once he was seated in potions class, he took them off to read the board.

Things were gratefully clearer, but he felt a strange sense of bareness-his nose had been used to the little frames resting on it. Now he kept rubbing at his nose, trying to ease the ticklish bare feeling.

Harry felt himself flushing in embarrassment. Did he really look like a clown without his glasses? Would people EVER get used to him like that?

"You look perfectly fine, Harry," Hermione whispered when she saw Harry duck his head. "Dont worry,"

Ron was immediately stiff but he also reconsoled Harry and told him that he didn't look that bad.

"Hardly anyone's bothered," Ron said encouragingly.

Harry was the first to leave when class was over. He hurriedly left his potion (which was supposed to simmer over the weekend) on his desk, and rushed to the door. Hermione and Ron left the classroom next. To their surprise, Dumbledore was standing in the dungeons, smiling.

"Professor Dumbledore!" Hermione said respectfully.

"Hermione," Dumbledore beamed. "Is Harry alright? Where are his glasses?"

"Oh, Professor, Harry just got his eyes checked on Saturday! The man there said that Harry didn't need glasses at all. It's very strange, isn't it?"

Dumbledore didn't hear the last sentence. He was much too shocked. No, no, no!

 

To be continued...
Chapter Five by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: Thanks for all the support everyone! I'm trying my best to improve my skills, so keeping reviewing your suggestions. And here's another chapter which includes a big plot twist!



Dumbledore felt like everything which he had worked for was breaking apart, crumbling into dust. He tried to appear nonchalant, but the way back to his office was a painful, slow journey.

Harry seemed to be going through odd changes-but why?

XXX

Harry hated Umbridge so much...she was an animal, no worse. He had had to endure a lesson with her taunting half-breeds, indirectly referring to Lupin.

"Just because someone's a half-breed doesn't mean that they're evil!" Harry had shouted. "You can't just undermine everyone!" He had resisted the urge to add, look at your own self.

He had gotten another detention for that.

Now, several minutes after the class, Harry soothed his hand as he thought about the painful detention he would have to go through. He couldn't go to that dentition, it would just make the condition of his hand worse.

Ron bellowed that he had to tell somebody but Harry still refused. He wasn't going to go down that easily.

When Harry approached Snape's office for his Occlumency lesson that evening, he wore his glasses even though they made things blurry. He didn't want Snape to ask any awkward questions.

He knocked on the door and suddenly Snape opened it. Harry forced himself to look into those black eyes.

"Oh. So you came, Potter," Snape said slowly. He gave Harry room to pass. Harry uncomfortably noticed that Snape was looking apprehensive.

This was more than Harry could bear.

"Er," Harry stumbled over his next words. "I'm-er-sorry for my-...well, outburst last lesson. I was acting stupid. But it won't happen again so-"

"You don't need to apologise for that," Snape said, matter-of-factly. "It was not your fault."

"Yeah, well, I know, but-"

"That's enough," Snape cut him off. "Stop rambling thoughtlessly for once and ready yourself,"

"Yes, sir," Harry muttered. He ran a hand through his hair, worriedly and unconsciously. Hurriedly, he tried to form some sort of resistance.

Snape half-heartedly raised his wand in his hand and then muttered: "Legilimens,"

Harry could suddenly see himself facing Voldemort in the graveyard, but he tried his best to stay calm. He could see Snape standing in front of him, blank and pale as ever, and suddenly Harry felt himself sputtering, "Protego!", trying to protect himself.

It seemed that Snape had not anticipated this, because the man was taken off-guard and Harry's mind was suddenly teeming with unfamiliar memories:

A tall, lanky-haired young man was taking the Dark Mark, a small boy with odd clothes was shouting at a group of children who seemed to be bullying him, a teenager was scowling in his bedroom, while strange shouts came from outside the door...

And suddenly, he was pushed away so forcefully that he felt himself falling onto the floor, a sharp pain blossoming in his knees.

He gasped and looked up to see Snape looking furious, actually trembling.

"You impertinent, disrespectful..." The man's voice had a dangerous, furious edge.

"Sorry," Harry really meant it, but he was much too scared to make it sound too sincere. He quickly scrambled up to his feet but Snape was still looking angry.

"Let's try again, Potter," The careful caution that Snape had adopted towards him seemed to have vanished and his teeth were gritted. "Since you are so proud of your abilities-"

"I didn't mean to-"

"Legilimens!"

And Harry was forced to relive a memory of fighting with Ron and worrying about the Triwizard Tournament until he was agitatedly trying to block Snape out. But Snape drew out himself.

"Lazy, insolent! You never work hard enough!"

Harry resisted the urge to admit that he hadn't been ready and had blocked Snape the try before.

"Look, Professor," Harry's temper rose. "I know you're angry that I saw your memories but I never meant to, I just wanted to block y-"

"Oh, so you think I am shouting at you because of that? You haven't improved at all!" Snape snarled. "What is the use of me teaching you for so many weeks if you never improve?-"

"I'm trying!"

"I have told you to practise numerously," Snape said, not relenting. "Now get out of my office and come back next week,"

Harry bit his tongue down on a retort and looking sullenly at the floor as he walked to the door.

He turned around once, upset that Snape hated him once more because of one, stupid thing which had happened. The man was not looking at him but was already back at his desk, apparently trying to break his quill on the paper.

The door shut softly but Snape thought he heard a depressed-sounding sigh.

XXX

Harry was definitely feeling pissed off at finishing whatever small, awkward understanding he and Snape had shared.

The man hadn't been very fair though-he hadn't meant to peep in. The memories had been awkward, the teenager scowling as angry shouts sounded from outside the room, the small dark-haired child yelling at the surrounding children, wearing the strangest clothes Harry had ever seen, while the children looked surprised or appalled.

But worst of all had been when that young man had taken the Dark Mark. Harry couldn't push out the image of Snape, looking much younger than he did at the time, thrusting out his arm and allowing the Mark to be burned in so nonchalantly...

Harry shivered. Maybe Snape really was evil, really was a sadist...Why had Dumbledore given him a second chance then? Harry breathed out.

It didn't matter now. He had to trust Snape, no matter how unfathomable and unfair he was.

XXX

Harry had been feeling awful and sickly over the course of the next few days. Not only did his head hurt, but the scars on his hand throbbed and the blood shone.

Umbridge was a sadist, but Harry knew that he couldn't let her have the satisfaction of his pain. When leaving her office last night, Umbridge had asked him if he had learned his lesson. Harry had smiled sarcastically and said, "Yes Professor. Very well."

She had been affronted and he had fled before she could have taken any more points or assigned another detention.

But now he felt really weird. Harry used the wall for support. His hair was getting too long, he needed to have a haircut soon...Harry wondered why such a random thought had entered his mind. He felt dizzy and ill, as if he would puke any second.

"Are you okay, Harry?" Hermione asked, worriedly. "You look weak."

"I'm fine, I think I've just gotten a cold or something,"

"Did Umbridge do anything?"

"Nothing besides the usual," Harry muttered.

Ron looked concerned. "Hey, mate, why don't you go rest. You look really pale."

"Guys, I'm fine-" Harry argued but there was suddenly a swooping sensation in his body and the next thing he knew, he had fallen to his knees and was gasping.

"Harry!" Hermione shouted, but darkness consumed him before he could reply.

XXX

When Harry opened his eyes, he saw Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore staring down at him with great concern.

Tears were in her eyes and Dumbledore looked rather ill.

"Where am I?" He murmured, looking around the room. He was in the Hospital Wing.

"Should I-" Madam Pomfrey began.

"No," Dumbledore said it so firmly that even Harry was startled. "It is simply a...malfunction. Put the glamours back on."

"But how did-"

"Poppy, I insist you do as I say, please," Dumbledore said coldly.

"Do what?" Harry asked, trying to sit up. He caught a glimpse of himself in a bottle of medicine and saw his bright green eyes reflected back at him, his face looking oddly unfamiliar.

Madam Pomfrey waved her wand and Harry felt his face contort.

"What did you-" he began to ask anxiously.

"Ssh now, Potter." Madam Pomfrey said. "You've had a shock, it seems. And-er-" She glanced at the Headmaster who sternly shook his head. "Well, you're fine now. You can get up."

Harry struggled to get up. He saw himself in the Hospital Wing mirror, noticing that he looked reasonably like himself, except that his glasses were missing.

"Here," As if she could read his thoughts, Madam Pomfrey handed Harry his round glasses.

"Er, thanks. Um-what happened?"

"It appears you fainted, Potter. I knew you weren't eating well enough-look at the size of you, I can see your ribs through your robes! You will be having a healthy diet from now on and if I catch you missing meals I will be forced to-"

"Yes, yes, Madam Pomfrey," Dumbledore cut her off, exasperated. "I am sure that Harry will be more careful in the future."

"What happened to me? I couldn't have just fainted like that! What's going on?" Harry felt very nervous.

Madam Pomfrey and Dumbledore exchanged furtive and worried looks.

"We will talk about this later, Harry. I advise you to go to your common room-your friends wil be very worried, I am sure."

But Harry wanted answers. "We can talk now, Sir," He said, trying to sound polite but sounding impertinent all the same.

"Later, Harry," Dumbledore said, dismissively. "Now please go to your common room. I want to discuss something with Madam Pomfrey alone."

Harry glared, but knowing that it was useless to argue at the moment, left abruptly.

XXX

"Severus?" Dumbledore looked nervous.

Snape was standing at the doorway, shifting from foot to foot. "I want to talk, if you please, Dumbledore,"

Dumbledore looked anxious. "Later, Severus, I have an immense amount of work pending,"

"I'm sure it can wait, Dumbledore. I'm certain that you will want to discuss the matter too." Severus said, impatiently. He tried to take a seat but Dumbledore glared at him, which was a rather rare occurrence. Snape was taken aback.

"Severus, we are very close friends, I am sure-but I am still Headmaster and I wish for you to come back at another time,"

Severus stood his ground. "Why are you avoiding me?"

Dumbledore sighed irritably.

"I'm not leaving, not this time. What happened to him?"

"Pardon?"

"What happened to Potter? I want to know-I heard the rumours and apparently he-"

"Rumours, Severus? That isn't how you operate, is it?-assumptions and far-fetched tales are beneath you."

"I know something happened!"

"What happened, Severus? I think you are taking it too seriously,"

"He dropped into unconsciousness, didn't he? Didn't he?" Severus demanded. He took a seat. "He did, don't you deny it Dumbledore! I have asked the matron-I am sure you have details as to how-"

"I am busy," Dumbledore flushed, looking angry. "If you do not leave I am afraid that I will have to-"

"Apply force?" Snape sneered. "Please. I'm not leaving. I want an answer. Then I won't come back and disturb you."

"What is it that you want to know?" Dumbledore asked, an edge creeping into his voice.

"Why did he faint?"

"How am I supposed to know that, Severus?"

"Dumbledore, Poppy told me something happened to his features. I've noticed it lately, actually. His eyes are getting better, and his hair is not as repulsively untidy. He looks as if-"

"What did Poppy tell you, Severus?" Dumbledore asked, anxiously.

"She told me that he looked different when they brought him into the infirmary, almost as if he had changed into someone else," Snape suddenly froze, frightened. Was Harry turning into some evil Dark Wizard-or-or-transforming into the Dark Lord himself, gaining his features?

Dumbledore took a deep breath. "I'm afraid that all boundaries have been crossed. After this...incident, there is nothing left to hide anymore. It cannot be hidden,"

"What?" Severus was perplexed. Was Potter actually turning into Tom Riddle?

Dumbledore lifted sad blue eyes to meet Snape's.

"This may come as a shock to you. It is a long story and I cannot hide it, not when there is nothing to hide, since the charms are wearing off."

"What are you speaking about?"

Dumbledore gave a rueful smile. "Harry is not a Potter,"

 

To be continued...
Chapter Six by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: Admit it-I updated pretty fast. I had loads of fun writing this chapter. The next chapter will be even better, promise! And the chapter after that is like the angst meter just exploded. Anyway, please be generous with your reviews and don't forget to tell me your reaction.

 

 

Snape stared. And then his face actually broke into a smirk. "Alright, Dumbledore. I am afraid that you have gone a little too far in your tales this time,"

"It is not a tale, Severus," Dumbledore sounded amused. "I knew you would be shocked, it was to be expected...long ago, Lily Evans came to me and asked me to help her and conceal the fact that she was expecting. I helped her out and she was able to deceive James and avoid a major fight which would have occurred only because of a mistake. Lily Evans married James, yes, but Harry is not his child."

"What are you talking about?" Snape looked impatient. "Have you actually lost it this time? I don't have time for-"

"But, alas, you wont remember. She obliviated you."

"Dumbledore-"

"However, she gave me the memory to store with myself for safe-keeping." Dumbledore said gravely. "Severus, you will not remember, but it was well-known that Lily and James had a fight just before their marriage and Lily spaced out for a few weeks, incidentally bumping into you."

Now Severus looked down at the table, fighting with his face. "Is this your explanation, Dumbledore?" He asked softly. "A complete lie?"

"I have the memory if you do not believe me," Dumbledore said calmly. He accioed an extremely dusty bottle with faintly shimmering blue liquid. He pointed to the pensieve. "Have a look. Lily gave it to me for safe-keeping,"

Severus clutched the bottle, still smirking, and went to the pensieve. He poured down the contents of the bottle and they swirled, silver-white, neither solid nor liquid, forming distorted images, images long forgetten.

XXX

"You know," Hermione said softly, as she sat in front of Harry, her face thoughtful. "Maybe I should look into this matter. I have a feeling something really is going on here,"

"Dumbledore knows," Harry said. "I know he does. But he won't tell me,"

"Perhaps. Whatever it is, it's bad I presume,"

"But what could it possibly be?" Ron asked roughly. "I mean, is Harry apparently turning into You-Know-"

"Ron!" Hermione hissed, seeing Harry's suddenly pale and frightened face. "Of course not! Well, hopefully. We need to solve the mystery, just like we did in our first year. Remember the Philosopher's Stone?"

"Yeah, you figured it was Snape who had stolen the stone-but it was actually Quirrel, wasn't it?" Ron joked.

"How could I have known! Harry was the one who started the idea in the first place."

Harry smiled softly. "I was a kid, Hermione. I suppose I was just looking for an excuse to undermine Snape,"

"Anyway, I'm going to figure out what's happening here. I'll go to the library first thing tomorrow," Hermione said importantly.

XXX

Snape was in the Headmaster's office. Dumbledore was sitting at his desk, looking serene and calm. The office did not look too changed, but Dumbledore looked a little younger, not so many wrinkles on his face.

Standing in front of the desk, looking very anxious, was Lily Evans, tears spurting down her cheeks.

Severus moved closer to her, sliding his hand through her face and seeing it pass through.

"Please, please Albus, you must help me!"

"Of course, Lily, why wouldn't I? Please calm down and take a seat. I am sure I can help you if you restrain yourself,"

Lily gulped and pushed her dark red hair out of her face, sitting down. "I did a very bad thing," she whispered.

"Yes?"

"I-I was angry, blinded, Albus. I-I stumbled into him on my way down the alley. I didn't recognise him at first,"

"Who? Now there, please don't cry Lily."

"Severus! Severus Snape! He manipulated me, comforted me even though we hadn't met for years..." Lily sobbed. Snape froze.

"He-he said such things to me, Albus. I couldn't help it...I...we..." Lily flushed.

Dumbledore looked shocked. "And then?" He prodded.

"I Obliviated him, I was so scared...I ran away-but it's been a while and I feel it. What will James say? What will James say when he finds out?" She cried.

"I can help," Dumbledore murmured. "On one condition..."

The memory ended here and Snape felt himself coming out of the pensieve, full of disgust, full of repulsion.

He breathed heavily. "What was she saying?" He demanded of Dumbledore.

Dumbledore sighed. "When Lily and James fought, Lily was very upset. She tried to figure out things a little, and in an extremely strange coincidence, bumped into you. Apparantly, like Lily mentioned, you attempted to comfort her and things escalated from there. Lily was now aware of great treachery to James and out of fear, she Obliviated you and ran away, coming to me. It was quite a while later, actually-she found out that something was wrong. I used a charm on her, Severus, I concealed it, so nobody would know about her accidental pregnancy. I charmed it so that she would give birth a few months later, so it wouldn't look suspicious. And when she ultimately made up and married James, and gave birth, she came to me again, and I charmed the child-I charmed his facial features, so it looked like he were James' son. Nobody except Lily and I knew. I used the strongest glamour charms-but they have worn off-the glamour charms are wearing off after all these years...Harry is your son, Severus, and out of a complete accident."

Severus was stock-still, unable to take it in. "And nobody ever told me, after all these years?" He didn't sound as if he believed a single word. "If this is true, I want my memory restored!"

"You want me to restore the Obliviated memory, Severus?" Dumbledore asked seriously.

"I want to know the truth!" Severus said pleadingly.

"I will oblige. It is an extremely complex spell but I might just be able to do it..." Dumbledore concentrated and then muttered a few words, waving his wand at Severus, who froze and stared at him, suddenly paler than usual.

Abruptly, as if something had slapped him, the memories jolted into place-he remembered everything-the encounter, the argument, Lily breaking down and crying into his shoulder, him comforting her with sinister glee, things getting wilder and wilder until he was kissing her softly and then lying down...Severus wanted to gag in disgust and shame, but there was more-Lily scrambling for her wand, her eyes wide, him staring at her in surprise until she pointed her wand at him and spoke the unforgivable words: "Obliviate!"

Severus felt fury build up in him. "I couldn't!" He shouted. "I couldn't have done that!"

"Severus, I know that you are upset-"

"What was I thinking?" He looked genuinely contrite. "What am I going to do? How can I tell him? This makes things so much more complicated-and you never told me!" Suddenly Severus was glaring at Dumbledore, his own wand out. "You never told me, you let me hate him, you let me suffer!-"

"Severus, please listen. I swore to Lily I would tell no one-"

"This is all a lie, I know it," Snape snarled, though without much conviction. "I could not have done such a thing,"

"You have the proof, Severus."

"But what am I going to do?" Snape moaned again.

"You need not tell him anything-I can speak to him. Or Harry need not know at all."

"You can't hide such a thing from him," Snape said, dangerously. "I won't let you manipulate any more people, Dumbledore."

"Well, fine then. I'll tell him,"

But Snape shook his head again. "No. You can't. How will I be able to look into his eyes?"

"The truth is the truth, Severus," Dumbledore said sternly.

"Yes, but how will he be able to look past such a-"

"That will be determined soon. Severus, I have told you about everything-you should go to your quarters and recover a bit. You need some time alone. I will handle everything else,"

"Why did the glamours wear off?" Severus asked weakly.

"As time goes on, even the strongest glamour charms wear off a bit. It has been years."

Severus gave a sickened smile. "Years indeed,"

XXX

The next day, after classes, Harry was suddenly summoned.

"What's up, Neville?" Harry asked tentatively, seeing his friend's nervous face.

Neville produced a small, tied-up scroll. "Professor Dumbledore asked me to give you this, Harry,"

Harry took the scroll curiously and said, "Thanks, Neville. I'll just read it, then,"

"Good luck. Bye Harry!" Neville hurried off.

Harry opened the small paper and read it:

Dear Harry,

I would like a word with you in my office. Please come right after your classes.

Sincerely, Albus Dumbledore.

P.S.: Lemon Drops

"Lemon drops?" Harry wondered aloud. And then it suddenly hit him-that was probably the password to the Headmaster's office.

He went at once to Dumbledore's office, sure that he would be getting some answers once and for all.

He didn't know just how right he was.

When he finally reached Dumbledore's office and sat down, Dumbledore sighed and looked solemn. "You said that you wanted to talk to me, Harry. I am sure that you have been very confused these days and have wanted to know about several things. Well, today is the day that I tell you a very big secret...Now, it may not sink it at first, and you may not believe me, but even so..."

Harry was getting excited. "Yes, Sir?"

"Harry...I am afraid that you are not the son of James Potter...Your mother actually went together with-"

"What are you talking about?" Harry demanded.

"It was all a mistake. Your mother went with...with Professor Snape for a while," Harry froze, sickened. What the hell? "I'm afraid she only pretended to James that you were his son. I am sure that you must have figured out who's son your actually are by now. I am sorry to tell you this right now, and in such a rash manner, but I really did have to tell you at once-"

"Do you think I'm an idiot!?" Harry demanded. "Snape's not my dad! This is just some-some stupid plan of yours-my mom would never have done that!" Harry stood up. "I don't know what you're trying to do, Professor, but I'm not going to hear a single word-"

"Harry, I understand how you feel about this. It is a most unfortunate thing to happen. But this is only the truth. Professor Snape is your father, Harry, and he didn't know about this until now-"

"He-he knows?" Harry demanded. "I bet he forced my mother into it! WHY ISN'T HE FIRED?" Then Harry froze and smiled sickeningly. "I know you're lying. If I was Snape's son, I wouldn't look like my dad, would I? I'm James Potter's son, Dumbledore, and I think you've made a mistake. He wouldn't have given his life for me otherwise."

Dumbledore sighed. "There are glamours put on you, Harry. Have you not experienced strange alterations to your looks? It is because the glamours I cast on you as a baby are wearing off. James did not know, Harry,"

"I want proof!" Angry tears of shock were flowing down his cheeks at this startling announcement. "I want proof!"

"Shall I take off the glamours, Harry?" Dumbledore cocked an eyebrow.

"No! You might just change my looks or something. I want solid proof!"

"I'm afraid there is only one memory and it is rather inappropriate for you to see," Dumbledore thought of the memory he had shown Severus. "Perhaps you and Professor Snape should talk about this for a while?"

"Like hell we will!" Harry snapped. "I don't believe a single word-I'm not his son-and I didn't come here to listen to some story you spun!" and Harry stomped out of the office and slammed the door, not even caring that he had just screamed his head off at the Headmaster.

 

To be continued...
Chapter Seven by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: *cowers* I got an angsty response on both sites, but angsty in a good way. I was kind of surprised that everyone was so shocked. Everybody knows that I hardly write anything other than Snape/Harry stories! I kind of agree with the people who said that Lily is always innocent in every story. I really dislike Lily, too. She's not innocent at all. This chapter is just some build-up. The real stuff happen in the next chapter.

 

Oh, Snape had thought that he had seen and remembered quite enough, but more memories seemed to be coming back into focus in his mind, very vivid now that Dumbledore had restored his memory...

They were both languid and tired but he managed to whisper to her: "I love you,"

Immediately she stiffened and sat up, her eyes widening. "No," she said. "No."

"What do you mean?" He tried to reach for her hand but she leant away. "No! I don't love you! This was all a mistake!"

"What?" Now he was sitting up too, glaring at her. "What do you mean by that? Where are you going?" 

He gasped as Lily smacked him with her palm, squirming away. Suddenly his temper rose.

"What do you think you're doing?" He snarled. "Come back!"

But she was already running towards her outdoor cloak and looking in the pockets desperately.

"Lily!" He yelled again.

But she had found what she was looking for, and, her eyes widened with fear, she shouted: "Ob-Obliviate!"

There was a flash of light and he fell down with a thud...the next time he opened his eyes he was all alone...

Snape shook away the memory, burying his head in his arms, breathing harshly.

Knock Knock!

He wanted to tell whoever it was to get lost, but he couldn't muster the energy to even look up. He ignored the knocks completely.

"Professor Snape, sir!" It was Draco's voice, distant and muffled. "It's important, sir!"

Snape got up with difficulty and opened the door. Draco was standing there, looking up at him with urgency.

"What is it, Draco? How dare you bother a teacher when they are at their quarters?"

"I'm-I'm sorry, sir," Malfoy said, confusedly. He always came to Snape's quarters-he knew Snape. Why was the man so cross? "But it's Professor Umbridge. She wants you in her office immediately,"

"Tell her that I am busy," Snape began, snarling.

"I...I don't think she'll like that, Sir," Draco said, warily.

"Fine, fine, move aside, I'm coming," Snape snapped. He didn't feel like going anywhere at all. He felt more like dying.

He stomped off to her office, while Malfoy watched him curiously. When he reached, he knocked at the door impatiently.

"Come in," the woman called.

Snape opened the door bad-temperedly. "You called for me, Professor?" He asked through gritted teeth.

"Ah. Professor Snape. Take a seat. I'd like to speak to you about something,"

Once Snape was sitting in the most hideous office he had ever seen (even worse than Lockhart's and that was saying something), Umbridge began: "Now Snape...What did you and Professor Dumbledore speak about?"

"Excuse me?"

"I am aware of the frequent meetings the two of you have. I have the right to know why. As the High Inquisitor-"

"Your job," said Snape, in a dangerous voice. "Is to see if the teachers are satisfactory and if the school is being run properly. Not to pry in other's businesses-"

"I thought that you were on my side, Snape," Umbridge narrowed her bulging eyes. "I want to know what Dumbledore is planning. Surely, that is not such a difficult question?-"

"Whatever conversation Professor Dumbledore and I have is none of your concern, nor a very urgent matter. I should be going now, Professor," and with that, Snape left the office contemptuously, Umbridge goggling at him suspiciously. He knew she would be keeping an eye on him now.

As Snape walked back to his quarters, more awful memories were making themselves known, one by one...

"I'm sorry. I used your shoulder as a handkerchief," Lily looked contrite, wiping her eyes.

Severus just stared at her, mouth open. He wouldn't care whichever part of his body Lily used as a handkerchief-she was here, and that was enough. 

He smiled-his usual, slow, hesitant smile. "I feel so sorry for you. If only you hadn't gone after Potter..."

"He-he loves me, I know. I love him too, but I can't stomach him at times!"

"He isn't right for you, Lily." Severus said, his voice shaking as he tried to control himself. She was looking so beautiful, dark red hair all over her face and green eyes glittering softly. He wanted to kiss her, but he wasn't sure if this was a good approach.

Lily looked at him as if seeing him for the first time. "Then who is?" She said, sullenly. "I did want to get married soon. I don't know what to do."

I am, Severus thought. He reached for her hand and held it. "Let me help you, Lily. We were friends,"

"We...we are friends. But you haven't told me yet, Severus, are you a Death Eater?"

"Nevermind all that," Severus said, firmly. "This is about you, not me. You shouldn't go with that jerk anymore. I know what's best for you, I'm your friend."

"Severus-"

Severus lost all sensible thought and kissed her impulsively, and, to his shock, Lily didn't seem too reluctant.

He had been 20 or so (maybe even younger) at that time-an age where anybody could make nasty mistakes. He hadn't done anything wrong, Lily had gone along with it-it wasn't his fault that she had chickened out at the end, come to her senses and seen his ugly face...and gone.

Ugly face. Severus felt like he had been punched. No wonder she had run off. He was ugly.

No, no he wasn't. He was behaving like a teenager, for Merlin's sake. This had all happened years and years ago-he should forget it, move on, not come to stupid conclusions.

XXX

Harry didn't know he was actually crying in his rage until he wiped his face and felt the hot tears.

Whatever Dumbledore had said had sounded like a whole lot of rubbish. What if the man was manipulating him, forcing him to believe something untrue?

Snape could not be his father. True, he was going through changes, but he didn't look like Snape. He had his bright green eyes, not Snape's black ones. He had his own ruffled hair, not Snape's straight oily strands.

His mother would never have betrayed James Potter in such a way. She wouldn't have gone with a jerk like Snape (who probably eyed her up) and she wouldn't have then pretended to Potter that he was his son.

That made her sound...sound so...oh nevermind!

You could ask Snape and confront him about this. Harry thought.

But he wasn't sure he wanted to. In fact, if he went within a few miles of Snape he might as well murder him in his rage. Better to stay away. Besides, it would be extremely awkward and he didn't want to hear any more lies or rubbish.

Yes, Harry was in denial.

XXX

"Harry?" Hermione said, timidly. "Harry, can I come in?"

"No. I don't feel like talking to anyone, Hermione," Harry said, from his bed.

"Harry, please, we're your friends. Tell us what happened to make you so upset,"

"I'm not upset,"

"Come on, mate," Ron's voice came from somewhere. "Don't hide stuff from us."

Harry sat up and glared at the pair of them. "I don't want to discuss anything, alright? So you can just leave, please,"

Ron and Hermione came closer. They both looked shocked and hurt.

"Harry, what happened?" Hermione sounded close to tears. "Please, please tell us what happened!"

"He'll tell us when he feels like it, Hermione," Ron said, suddenly. "Right, Harry?"

Harry looked at Ron and he suddenly knew why they were best friends. "Yeah. Yeah, thanks."

Ron nodded and led Hermione away.

"But-" she began desperately.

"Come on, we'll come back later. Let him breathe," Ron urged. Soon Harry was alone again.

XXX

Severus tossed in a few more books into the suitcase, while his black clothes and other coats and jackets folded themselves magically. He intended to leave the school as soon as possible and live as an outcast somewhere far away.

He didn't care what Dumbledore said, or even what the Dark Lord said. They could threaten him with Azkaban or Crucio all they liked; he was going to leave.

He had had enough with his pathetic and problematic life. It was time he just had a break.

XXX

Harry was facing the mirror and gazing at his reflection. He looked helplessly at his face, his green eyes. He didn't know what to do. His insides were writhing with tension.

"I need to talk to Snape," Harry finally realised. He had to get some more answers. How many more secrets were being hidden from him?

He looked resolutely into the mirror and set out towards Snape's office.

He didn't tell Ron and Hermione where he was going. In fact, he avoided them and went out of the common room. Racing down into the dungeons, nervous and furious at the same time, Harry suddenly came face to face with Umbridge.

"Where are you going?" She looked suspicious, her eyes narrowed.

"I need to speak to Professor Snape," Harry snapped. "I'm in a hurry," He tried to move past her, but she wouldn't let him.

"Why?" She asked, looking even more suspicious.

"He-he called for me," Harry lied, glaring at her.

"I see," Umbridge smiled nastily. "Well, you don't want to be late, do you?"

She walked away and Harry, thankful that she had gone, went back to his journey towards Snape's office.

Wondering briefly what Umbridge had been doing in the dungeons, Harry finally reached the office door and banged at it fiercely.

However, nobody came to open the door. It was locked and warded shut. But he didn't stop knocking, resolutely slamming his fist at the door until his knuckles were unbelievably sore.

"I have to speak to you!" Harry shouted.

"Potter? What the hell are you doing?" Harry turned around to see Malfoy staring at him with his usual sneer.

"None of your damned business, Malfoy-where is Snape?"

"Why?" Malfoy eyed his angry stance.

"Never you mind! It's important,"

"He's probably in his quarters. Why?" Malfoy demanded.

"Where are his quarters?" Harry asked.

Malfoy looked shocked. "Why would you want to go in his quarters, Potter? What are you trying to do?"

"Will you just tell me?"

"No, I wont," Malfoy sneered. "I want to know-"

Harry was nearly shaking with impatience now. He wanted to punch Malfoy and he very nearly did so.

"I...Have to speak to him about a detention," Harry said in forced calm, lying once again.

Malfoy sneered. "Really?"

"Yeah," Harry gulped back a large lump in his throat.

"His quarters are somewhere over there," Malfoy said, eyes narrowing suddenly, gesturing. He walked away.

Harry, surprised, went to find Snape's quarters. He was unaware of Malfoy sneaking behind him, intending to listen to the conversation that would occur.

XXX

When Harry finally found the quarters, he knocked on the door brashly, trying not to look nervous. He had every right to have this conversation.

It was not long before Snape, scowling at the interruption, opened the door. Harry saw Snape freeze when he saw him, paling so that his skin was the colour of sour milk.

"Potter?" His voice was not authoritative or low and sneering. It was actually apprehensive.

Even as Snape said 'Potter' he flushed. This boy wasn't a Potter at all.

"I want to talk to you, Snape," Harry said, insolently. He glared right into those dark eyes. "Now."

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
To Be Continued...
Chapter Eight by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: Okay, I'm warning you guys...extreme angst coming up-Harry confronts Snape! Warnings for a paddling in this chapter.



"What do you want, Potter?" Snape folded his arms. "Five points from Gryffindor for speaking to me in such a manner."

Harry coloured. "Do you think I care about points?"

When Snape merely raised an eyebrow, Harry growled, "I want to talk about something important, Professor. Can I come inside or would you rather we talk here?"

"I'd rather you go away before you find youself in detention." Snape snapped.

"Well, guess what, I'm not going away!" Harry shouted.

"Lower your voice!" Snape spat. He jerked the boy inside his quarters and slammed the door. Malfoy, extremely surprised, stared at it. He had to tell Crabbe and Goyle all about this.

Meanwhile, inside the quarters, a row was going on.

"This has gone much too far, Potter! One more word out of you-"

"I want to know who the heck you think you are! Did you or did you not have a thing with my mother?" Harry blurted angrily.

Snape froze. He looked down at Harry's furious face.

He knows, he thought as his heart seemed to wither.

"I-"

"You played her up? Was Dumbledore telling the truth?" Harry demanded.

"Lower your voice immediately!" Snape spat again. "You are exaggerating it-it was never anything, Potter, it was simply a brief dalliance before we both came to our senses-"

"Are you telling me you actually forced her to-"

"I did not force her to do anything!" Snape bellowed. "How dare you speak to me in such a way! Any other student would have been expelled this very moment, Potter, you are walking on very, very thin ice-"

"I want to know the truth!" Harry said firmly, his voice cracking. His shoulders were heaving as if he were sobbing, even though his eyes were dry. Harry felt too crushed to cry. Not that he would cry anyway, never in front of Snape. "I want to know what happened! I want to know everything that happened! I'm not going to accept this. You can't be my..." He trailed off, staring down at the floor in despair.

"Sit," Snape glared at him. "Sit and I will explain. You have your facts mixed up, Potter, let me-"

"Don't you tell me what to do, you bastard," Harry looked up angrily. "How dare you look me in the eye!?"

It was like everything had froze for Snape. The world went black and his brain stopped functioning. The minute the word bastard came out of Harry's mouth, absolute rage consumed him. One second he was staring at the boy, and the next he had taken hold of his collar and was pinning him to the wall.

"Don't you ever say that word in front of me again," he said softly and dangerously, his hand gripped in a death-like way on Harry's collar. "If I could break your face right now, you insolent brat, I would,"

Harry stared at him in shock. He tried to wriggle away, but the grip was too strong. Indignation suddenly overcame him. Snape was the one who had done everything! He was the one who had betrayed James Potter! How dare he act so calm and not even care!

"YOU MAKE ME SICK!" Harry screeched before punching Snape in the face. His fist met skin, even bone, and he saw the man stagger behind, his hands automatically clutching his face. Harry had done it. The thing he had wanted to do for years. He had punched Severus Snape.

XXX

He has gone too far this time, the part of his mind which was still working told him. The boy has gone much too far this time. It's time I teach him a lesson.

Snape looked up, one side of his face bright red. Harry glared back insolently, as if daring him to come closer and get smacked once more.

"Bend over the table," Snape straightened up and commanded, shaking with fury.

"Excuse me?"

"I told you," Snape came closer, absolutely furious. "To bend over the table. Now,"

Harry looked rather confused so Severus did it himself. He forced the boy over his desk and pinned him there.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Harry struggled, kicking. "Let me go! LET ME GO!"

But Snape was much too angry to 'let him go'. Hands white and shaking, he grabbed the ruler off the desk and whacked Potter one.

"Ah! What are you doing?" Harry struggled insanely but Snape held him down, intent on teaching the boy a lesson.

"What I am doing," he whispered. "Is what I should have done long before. You will not speak to me in such a manner!" Whack!

Harry couldn't believe this was actually happening to him. This had to be fake, this couldn't be legal, let alone allowed!

Whack! Whack! Whack!

That hurt. What was he doing? Why was he swinging so hard? Harry jumped in pain as the blows were aimed everywhere, even the tops of his thighs.

"Let me go you egoistic bullying bastard!" Harry screamed, kicking. "I'll tell Dumbledore! He'll fire you just like you should be you dirty-"

"Oh, do tell him Potter," Snape just whacked him harder and harder, cracking down the ruler, letting Potter feel the embarrassment and pain with every natural pause. "I'll be notifying him of your recent behaviour as well. You are not-WHACCK!-allowed to physically assault a teacher. WHACK!"

Harry sucked in his breath harshly.

"The minute you entered this school," Snape whacked him very hard every few words, making Harry jerk. "You have been causing immense trouble. I have tried to be patient, but you do not listen. Then screaming your head off and daring to assault me? I will not tolerate it, Potter, I will not!"

Harry pressed his nose to the desk, biting his lip. It hurt, Snape was probably whipping him bloody, but he couldn't cry, not yet.

"I know you are upset," A sneer crept into Snape's furious voice. "But you have no right to behave in such a manner," WHAAAAACK! This was the hardest one yet and Snape was still very angry. The boy deserved this thrashing, he was still holding back his real strength and this punishment was too good for the likes of Potter.

"You betrayed my motherrrrr..." Harry said, gasping wetly. "You forced he-her-AH! and you ruined everyone's lifeeee...James Potter was AH! a good man-my mother was-Ugh!-was forced to lieeeeee..." Harry was actually crying, or at least trying not to.

Snape suddenly felt pity and stopped paddling the boy's behind. He stopped and let his hand fall to his side. Harry made no move to get up.

"And nooww...I'm stuck looking like you!" Harry hissed.

Snape dragged him up and off the desk and shook him. "Do you know what you are saying?" He demanded.

"I'm saying the truth!" Harry shouted, tears coursing down his face. "And you can't face it and-and-"

"What in Merlin's name is going on over here?"

Snape and Harry jumped and turned around. The quarters were in a mess, things overturned. The two of them had messy hair and Harry looked like a wreck, crying and flushed. Severus was shaking in anger.

"Dumbledore?" Snape frowned.

Dumbledore looked at Harry's tears and Snape's flushed and angry face.

"What is happening here?" He asked again, looking stern.

Before Snape could say anything, Harry piped up: "I came to ask him!". He sounded very angry.

Snape held his breath. Any moment now, and Potter would tell Dumbledore that he had just smacked him.

Well, he was leaving anyway.

But Potter didn't even mention it. That was so odd that Severus kept on frowning.

"Why don't we sit down and talk properly?" Dumbledore raised an eyebrow. He looked directly at Snape who looked back.

What has been happening over here? Dumbledore's eyes spoke.

Snape didn't answer.

"I-I don't-" Harry protested weakly but Snape gave him a look.

"The Headmaster wants you to sit. So you will sit," He said coldly.

Harry stared at him blankly for a few harsh moments, but then he obeyed. It seemed that he was a little wary of him after the recent punishment.

They all sat, Snape the last one to do so.

"Harry, I think you are taking this a little too hardly." Dumbledore began in calm tones. He watched as Harry shifted uncomfortably on the chair, blushing slightly as he did so. Snape was paler than usual.

"Am I?" Harry asked, dangerously.

"Severus, perhaps you would like to explain?" Dumbledore turned to him.

Snape couldn't believe it. He didn't even know half of what had really happened. He had just found out. Why was Dumbledore doing this to him?

"I-" Snape shook his head.

"Well, then. Professor Snape and your mother had always been acquaintances," Dumbledore started. Snape's heart stopped. Hadn't he explicitly asked Dumbledore never to tell Potter that? He had taken his word! Snape looked up, looking murderous. But Dumbledore went on, "I know the news is shocking. Perhaps I should have told you all this long before. But the facts are plain-Professor Snape is your true father, Harry, not James."

Snape looked at Harry anxiously-the boy was looking deathly white. One moment he was sitting, and the next he slumped and fainted.

 

To be continued...
Chapter Nine by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: The reason I started writing Snape/Harry stories was because I hated the portrayal of both of them in the said stories. Don't get me wrong, some stories were excellent, but some were so OOC, it was cringe-worthy. Well, I thought I could write an IC story and make it enjoyable at the same time. Thanks for the response everyone. Please review and continue to support me :D Sorry this is so short.

 

 

Snape immediately dragged Harry from under the table, pulling him towards a couch. He hauled Harry's limp body onto a sofa, making sure he didn't roll off.

Dumbledore had gone white. "Is he alright?"

Snape shook his head and didn't answer, feeling Harry's cheeks gingerly. He straightened. "He is out cold." He said slowly.

Dumbledore found this a rather obvious thing to say. He sighed and went over to the sofa. "I think he has been taking too much pressure. It's understandable."

"He actually fainted..." Snape was shaking his head. "What should I do?"

"Maybe you should get him a glass of water while I wake him up." Dumbledore suggested.

Snape was about to get the glass, but suddenly he stopped and looked at Dumbledore.

"I don't want to be a father, Dumbledore," he spat. "I want him away from me."

"He is your son,"

"No, he isn't!" Snape flushed. "I am not going to indulge myself into this nonsense, do you hear me? I quit!"

Dumbledore raised an eyebrow. "Severus, do you know what you are saying? Are you disowning him?"

"Maybe I am!" Snape hissed. "You know very well how much risk this puts me in-"

Dumbledore cut him off with a stern look. "We will discuss this later. Please bring the glass of water."

Snape scowled and went away. Dumbledore sighed and took out his wand. He waved it and muttered, "Enervate,"

Harry's eyes fluttered. He shifted, his glasses hanging off his face precariously. He suddenly struggled to sit up. "Wha-?"

"Calm yourself, Harry," Dumbledore said soothingly.

"How did-"

"You lost consciousness," Dumbledore explained, helping him sit.

Harry flushed. His hands were shaking. "Snape-?"

"He is getting you some water," Dumbledore explained.

Harry shook his head violently. "I need to go, sir, I can't-"

But Snape had already come back, carrying a glass of cold water. Harry jumped up from the sofa. "I'll be going now," he muttered, heading for the door.

"Harry, wait-" Dumbledore called. "You have to listen to me,"

"I've heard enough." Harry growled, turning around.

Snape raised an eyebrow. Dumbledore sighed. "Harry, please, this is important. We need to discuss it. It is essential that nobody at all must know about this arrangement at any cost. Not even your friends and especially not Professor Umbridge,"

Harry doubted he wanted to tell them this embarrassing news either.

"Also, you must be very discreet about this. Pretend nothing has happened. If Voldemort's followers find out-"

Snape flinched slightly. Harry, however, let out a laugh. "I doubt anyone will find out, Professor."

"Harry, you shouldn't behave like this. It is time to end all petty animosities-"

"I'm sorry, Headmaster," Harry said, in an eerily calm voice. "But if you think I'm going to take the fact that he's my father calmly, then you're going senile,"

Snape made an angry sound at such disrespect but Harry had already left the quarters.

XXX

Harry got ready for his detention that evening. He hadn't spoken to Ron or Hermione and he felt guilty for taking out his anger on them. Again.

He had to go to Professor Umbridge and get his hand sliced open again. Harry dreaded going and wondered how she could enjoy such a sick thing.

Sighing, he headed over to her office.

XXX

"Disrespectful," Snape was saying to Dumbledore. "I had a right mind to..."

"We must be understanding."

"I will never father him. This shouldn't be my responsibility."

"I am afraid it is your responsibility."

"You've just sprung this on me instead of telling me this years ago." Snape said, angrily. "Do you think that this is fair on me?"

"I had no choice. Lily didn't want you to know-"

"Tell me how exactly does that work, Dumbledore? Did you plan to never tell me the truth? Keep this a secret for the rest of my and his existence?"

Dumbledore didn't say anything. Snape laughed bitterly. "Please leave, Dumbledore. I don't have the energy to "discuss" anything anymore."

Dumbledore looked at him mournfully. He suddenly turned around and saw the suitcase. His eyes narrowed. "Are you planning to go somewhere, Severus?"

Snape looked surprised and suddenly comprehension dawned on him. "Yes," he said firmly. "I will be leaving immediately Dumbledore."

"You cannot do that," Dumbledore narrowed his eyes, finally sounding angry. "You have duties. Don't forget the promise you made to me,"

"Which promise? To protect Harry Potter for Lily's sake?"

"You were to atone for your deeds by helping us win the war against Voldemort." Dumbledore said coldly. "Do not forget the numerous ways in which I helped you..."

"Do not forget the numerous ways in which I, in turn, helped you, Dumbledore. You can send me packing to Azkaban, I don't care."

For a few seconds, Snape and Dumbledore glared at each other. Finally Dumbledore sighed and said calmly, "Harry is not a Potter, Severus. Accordingly, I think he is actually Harry Snape now. He is your son and you must not run away but take care of him,"

"He hates me,"

"He will stop hating you once you show him affection-" Snape snorted. "-and prove yourself worthy of liking. He is upset, and you should calm him down."

Snape stared at the floor. "I am the traumatised one here, Dumbledore,"

"But Harry has done no sin to deserve this."

Snape laughed bitterly. "But I have, I suppose. I was the one who chatted Lily up and I was the one who ruined her life. If only it hadn't happened,"

If only he hadn't been an idiot. Maybe Harry Snape would just be a daydream like always, not blinding reality.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
TBC...
Chapter Ten by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: I'm so sorry for taking so long to update! Enjoy the chapter. Reviews help me work faster! This is super short, but I promise I'll make up for it in the next chapter.

 

 

The sight of blood was making Harry dizzy. It was dripping onto the floor in thick droplets. Another result of detention with Umbridge.

Harry staggered to the common room. He hissed out the password and stumbled inside. Spots seemed to be bursting in front of his eyes and he felt nauseous.

"Im fine," he said the minute Ron rushed over to him and opened his mouth.

Ron shut his mouth with a clamp, frowning.

"I just need to rest, that's all. Where's the murtlap essence?"

"Hermione may have it," Ron said stiffly. "I need to talk to you, Harry,"

Eyeing Ron's sulky expression Harry wasn't too enthusiastic for the talk. "Er, alright."

They sat near the fire, Ron's face gloomy and unexpressive.

"What's wrong?" Harry looked worried.

"Harry, look, I know things aren't very easy for you right now, but we're still friends right?"

"What kind of a question is that? Of course!" Harry said vehemently. "Why wouldn't we be?"

"Well, no offence, but you've kind of been ignoring me. And Hermione. You're hiding stuff and-and well, if you'd rather we leave you alone..."

"That's not true at all, you guys are my best friends," Harry said desperately. "Look Ron, you have no idea what's going on..."

"You're right, I don't," Ron snapped. "Because you haven't told me. Well, what's so important that you've forgotten us and are avoiding us whenever you see us?"

Harry frowned. "It's-it's kind of personal, Ron. I never meant to ignore you. I honestly didn't."

"Well, if you claim to still be my friend, why aren't you telling me what's wrong?" Ron asked, now looking hurt. "You know I won't judge, Harry. And I can help you,"

"Ron...can't you understand this? I don't feel ready to tell you. But I will, I promise, soon. Just not now. I can't handle it."

Ron stared at him and Harry saw him consider this mistrustfully.

Then Ron sighed and said, "Promise you'll tell me what's got you so tensed up soon?"

"Promise."

"Oh okay, good. Let's go find Hermione then."

Harry forced a smile and nodded, even as he felt his heart sink. Not only had he lost a father and had his life shattered, but now he was also messing things up with his friends. Could things get any worse?

xxx

Harry saw Snape in class the next day. The man completely ignored him and Harry was totally fine with that. He was just leaving the classroom after the lesson when the man beckoned a finger towards him, his pretence that Harry didn't exist forgotten.

Harry walked up to the desk defiantly, staring at Snape coldly. "Yes?" He asked pointedly.

"We need to talk. I want you in my office this evening-"

"I'm sorry, I have work to do," Harry said rudely, turning around to walk away.

"Stay right here, Potter," Snape said in a deadly voice. "Unless you want a detention."

"I'm fine with a million detentions, just not a few moments with you."

"Why you insolent..." Snape scowled, standing up.

"I'm not the bastard here," Harry growled, even as Snape's eyes sparked with fury. "Why don't you just shove off,"

Then he hurried away without trying to look as if he was hurrying away.

Snape was going to kill him. But he wouldn't let that bother him right now.

xxx

"Open up your books to page 67." Umbridge intoned, looking around the bored class.

There was a shuffling of pages. Harry turned and whispered something in Hermione's ear. She frowned but giggled.

"Anything funny, miss Granger?" Umbridge asked irritably.

"No, Professor," Hermione ducked her head.

"And you, Mr Potter, I would have thought you'd be behaving better-you still have a week's worth of detentions."

"Yes, I know, Professor," Harry tried to sound unconcerned.

Umbridge frowned and Harry had a feeling that she was planning to get him later on.

xxx

"You think you're being brave, do you Mr Potter?" Umbridge said in a low voice, seeing Harry continue on with his detention calmly.

And he was right.

"What? Of course not, Professor," Harry looked up, raising an eyebrow.

"Is this punishment not enough for you? Perhaps, you need more? Because this punishment does not seem to be making a great enough impact on you, Potter,"

"It's your choice, Professor," Harry said through gritted teeth, but his heart started beating fast.

Umbridge opened her mouth but then looked at the clock. "It's much, much later than lights out. You should go now. Maybe next detention you will have a surprise in store. Leave now,"

Harry smiled even though he felt horrified, slung his bag over his shoulder and walked out.

What's she going to do? He thought as he went down to the common room. Should I finally tell someone this time?

No. No, I can't. How bad can it be?

xxx

Snape didn't hear anything from Potter and decided to just leave him alone. He would have nothing to do with the arrogant brat. His son, indeed!

His son would never be so. He had never seen his unglamourized face and suspected he didn't want to anyway.

He contemplated leaving the school once more when there was a knock at the door.

Snape went to open the door, shocked to see Draco Malfoy.

"Draco? What is it?" He asked.

Draco had a serious yet gleeful expression on his face. Snape had a feeling this was going to be bad even as the boy opened his mouth.

xxx

Snape was still massaging his temples hours after the visit. The impertinent boy! Draco had dared to ask him what was going on between him and Potter and that he had heard everything which had taken place at the door a few days ago.

"It was nothing and it is none of your business, Draco," Snape had said firmly.

"Why would you hide it? Something's wrong,"

"What is wrong is that you are out of your dorm after lights out and don't understand simple sentences. Leave immediately and put these ridiculous notions out of your mind or I will assign you a detention."

Draco had glared up at him defiantly but walked away when he saw that he was going to get nothing out of Snape.

The boy would surely cause trouble. Snape had no idea how many problems he would have to go through.

 

To be continued...
Chapter Eleven by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: I haven't updated in two months! Here's an action-packed chapter. Enjoy!

 

 

 

Harry slipped on his school bag and headed to his detention. His mind was set on James Potter as he wondered if everything was really true about how he wasn't his real father. Harry was traumatised over the Snape's-your-dad thing but it hadn't really sunk in. Harry didn't really believe it. It seemed like a strange dream. The thing was just not getting processed by his brain.

He was still lost in his thoughts before he bumped into Umbridge's office door. Sighing, he knocked and waited for the sugary, "Come in," before opening the door and trying not to slam it behind him.

"Take a seat, Mr Potter," Umbridge smiled sweetly, a fluffy magenta cloak wrapped around her and her mousy brown hair curled.

Harry sat, looking bored, and waited. He was a little scared as to what "the surprise" was going to be.

"Though your last punishment was satisfyingly...physical, I think I have something that is even more so. Something, I have been told, that leaves a lasting impression on miscreants."

Harry shifted uncomfortably. What was she going to do? He remembered worrying about being caned by Professor McGonagall in his first-year, and the same feelings were taking course now.

Umbridge took out something long from her desk drawer and Harry nearly fainted. But it wasn't a cane-it was a wooden ruler.

Harry thought he was going to be sick.

He opened his mouth in anger, about to shout how she'd be fired, when she said, "This is quite the common punishment in other schools, Potter. And I think you've deserved it after spreading lies and distress around the school. Stand up, come to my desk, and hold our your palm."

Harry was confused. Palm? Then he understood-Umbridge was going to hit his knuckles...just like his aunt and uncle did sometimes, and just like his muggle school teachers did to other children, though much less often.

He looked carefully at Umbridge's elated face. She didn't look very strong to him, and he was probably going to have to fake a reaction to please her before she really did decide to cane him.

Standing up, he went to her desk and still nervous about whether she was strong or not, held out his palm.

Umbridge looked a little surprised at his lack of protest but then after smiling evilly, intoned, "Oh, you won't be so calm afterwards, I assure you Potter,"

Harry didn't reply. How hard could someone like her hit anyway? Remembering to gasp appropriately, he stood still.

"There will be three strikes."

Umbridge raised the ruler and whacked him seemingly as hard as she could. It stung badly-and Harry choked back a cry of surprise. But suddenly the pain seemed to grow and increase. Harry was horrified. That didn't usually happen, did it?

Oh, it hurt! The pain was increasing for some reason and his hand was red already. Umbridge looked satisfied and whacked the ruler down again.

It was agony and Harry grit his teeth, a gasp escaping. His knuckles were bruised by now and the pain was growing even more.

He looked up and saw with shock the ruler glowing green. It wasn't any ordinary wooden instrument. It had been improved by Dark Magic...so that his pain would increase...so that he would get hurt.

Rage consumed Harry but before he could push Umbridge away, the ruler came down again harder than before.

Tears stung in his eyes, but he did his best not to make a sound. His knuckles were bruised and bleeding a bit. Umbridge put the ruler away.

"You will write "I will not act up in class" fifty times," Umbridge said sweetly. "Be thankful I only hit one of your palms."

Harry glared at her and achingly made his way back to the table. How did she expect him to write with a bleeding hand!?

He took his quill out however and started writing determinedly, not willing to give her any more satisfaction. The pain was so much Harry thought he would faint.

XXX

Severus was on his night patrol duty when he heard stumbling footsteps and noises of discomfort. Rather curious as to who it was, he looked around him and saw that the voices were coming from somewhere behind the corner.

Walking to the spot, ready to chastise whoever was disobedient enough to walk around the corridors so late, Severus suddenly skid to a halt.

Oh no! It was Potter, someone he really hadn't wanted to see. But something was strange about him-the arrogant boy wasn't strutting around as he usually did, looking infuriating...he seemed to be in pain.

"What are you doing?" Snape said sharply.

Harry flinched violently when he heard him. His face paled and he backed away, holding his right hand tightly. Snape was startled to see a few stray tears on his face.

"I had a detention. Get out of my way," Harry's face coloured again. He looked at Snape in hatred and tried to move past.

A hand clamped on his shoulder before he could leave. It tightened ominously and pulled Harry back.

"Don't you dare disrespect me," Snape's voice was fierce. "And what are you hiding? Show me!"

"Get away from me!'

"Show it to me," Snape ordered, pulling Harry's hands away.

He looked confused when there was nothing there, but then stared transfixedly at Harry's right hand.

"What did you do to it?" He asked, a bit of concern colouring his voice. It was bleeding, bruised and red. It looked awful and Severus knew it needed medical attention immediately.

"I was playing Quidditch." Harry lied, pulling his hand away with a pained hiss. It was still throbbing.

Snape stared into his eyes and Harry shifted nervously. It was as if Snape knew he wasn't telling the truth. Harry fought to block his mind.

"You said you've been from detention," Snape said quietly. He seemed to be piecing things together. "With who?"

"WILL YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE?"

"With who?" Snape's voice dropped an octave. "Answer me or you will regret it,"

"With Umbridge!" Harry shouted. "And I thought I told you I never want to see your face again! Get out of my way!"

"Did she do that to you?" Snape asked steadily, and Harry was a little surprised to see the anger bubbling in his eyes.

Snape didn't know where these feelings were coming from...but he was furious. Furious that Umbridge-as if he didn't hate her enough already!-had dared to do that. Even if it was to Potter. But Potter wasn't just a student. He was related to him, he was his son. Though he had almost disowned the brat, not wanting anything to do with him, he felt a sudden surge of protectiveness. The same he felt when he had tried saving Harry in the boy's first-year, doing it for Lily.

Lily.

"Answer me!" Snape shouted. "Don't just stare at me like an idiot!"

Harry winced, eyes as round as saucers. His mouth opened and closed like a goldfish. "I-well-uh-"

"Potter!"

"Yes! Yes, she did! Can you stop interrogating me now!?" Harry finally shouted in exasperation before realising what he had done. He had told Snape!

Snape looked at him sternly for a moment before dragging him off to the dungeons.

"What the! Let go of me! Snape, I'm seriously going to-"

"Another word, and I'll tell you what I'm going to do to you," Snape spat, pulling him as quickly as he could to his office.

He opened the office door, shoved Potter in and then went inside and closed the door behind him.

"I'm going alerting the Headmaster about this. Professor Umbridge has broken severe rules-your hand will need some salve, that I'll go fetch-"

"Just like you did when you-when you-punished me?" Harry couldn't bear to say "smack". It was too humiliating.

"That's different," Snape said, looking at him with ill-disguised disgust. "I have total authority over you and you deserved it for assaulting me,"

"Oh, was it assault? Drop the formalities-I punched you just like you deserved!"

Snape's face darkened and Harry suddenly grew frightened. The man swooped over to him and Harry backed away slowly. But he couldn't escape-Snape took hold of his injured hand.

"Oww!" Harry cried, as tears filled his eyes. "Ouch! Let go, it hurts!"

Snape let go of him as if burnt.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that," he said, sounding sincere. He accioed some salve cream and bandage. He pushed Harry to a chair and began to tend to his hand.

Harry was staring at him in shock.

"What did she do?" Snape asked in a low voice.

"R-ruler," Harry said, still surprised. Snape was tending to him gently but it stung and he was trying his best to keep quiet.

"How many strokes? The damage is very severe,"

"Only three, but the ruler was cursed,"

"Was it?" Snape sounded interested. "If it really was, then she is in a great deal of trouble."

Harry didn't know what to say to that so he blurted out: "Why are you healing me?"

Snape paused in his ministrations of bandaging Harry's hand firmly and stared. "Pardon?"

"You hate me, even though I'm supposedly your son. You hate James Potter, though he's dead and long gone. You don't like me and want nothing to do with me, probably. You get my mother in trouble and then act towards me as if I have no right to display any emotion on the fact that you're my real father-if it's true-not James Potter." Harry said all of this in a rush, getting it all out of his system.

Snape didn't say anything for a minute. When Harry saw his face next...it actually looked slightly contrite.

"Potter-"

"And you refuse to call me by my own name. Though I don't want you to, thanks. You call me by the surname of someone who isn't even related to me,"

Snape looked like he would smack him one but he didn't. "How do you think I feel? Finding about this suddenly? For once, think of others. I never got your mother in trouble. I probably should have told you this, but I never wanted to. Dumbledore wanted to, but I wanted it to remain a secret forever. I did, however, request you to have a discussion with me but you refused to come. Your mother and I didn't just stumble past each other. We knew each other,"

"Wow, as if I don't know already. You went to school together, didn't you?"

"We were more than acquaintances. We were friends but then we drifted away. Your mother was happy with your father-"

"I thought he wasn't my father,"

"With Potter. And I forgot her." Snape seemed to pale at that sentence but he went on, "And then we met again. She wasn't happy with Potter and I tried to help her. I would never hurt her, betray her, or get her in trouble intentionally. I'm not that type of person. So you should stop accusing me of that,"

Harry blinked at him, processing all of this. He didn't know why but he believed Snape. The man couldn't lie to his face like that. Even if he was a pretty good damn actor.

"But you-you hated me the moment I came to Hogwarts."

Snape took a deep breath. "You looked like the copy of Potter,"

"You should accept me," Harry's voice was thick with raw emotion. "Accept me for once! Even after you find out I'm your son, dammit, you're the same! The same! You're not the nicest person around, but I thought you'd change. You didn't. I don't want to be your son, especially after the way you've treated me. I just can't believe this happened to me, but I can't do anything about it. What are you-"

Snape stood Harry up abruptly and looked him square in the eyes. "Stop," he said, his voice strained. "I don't know what to do."

"You don't want a son? Disown me,"

"I don't know what to do! I don't know if I should!"

"Meaning?"

"I'd probably disown you but it feels traitorous to your mother-"

"She wouldn't have wanted you with-"

"She wouldn't have wanted you to go back to those relatives of yours either,"

Harry's eyes widened, not knowing what that meant. "Take me then!' He sneered. "You don't want to betray her, prove you're worthy of being a father!"

Snape's eyes narrowed. "The first thing I'm going to do is discipline you. Stay in your limits,"

But Harry was laughing bitterly and drawing out his wand. "You know what? I want to see what all the fuss is about. I want to see who I really am. I'm taking off the glamours,"

"Don't!" Snape said sharply. "Not yet, stop-"

But Harry looked determined. "I'm tired of living a lie, Professor. Finite Incantatem!"

Snape went absolutely white and Harry felt himself changing rapidly. He grew slightly taller, he felt his hair brushing against his nape in a different way, his cheekbones contort painfully and his legs grow longer. He turned away, using a wall as support, his wand dropping to the floor.

He panted against the cool wall, afraid to turn around, afraid to look at himself. He tried to reach for his wand to make himself go back to normal but he was scared he would accidentally look behind him.

Snape was standing stock-still behind him, utterly silent. The fear in the room was almost tangible.

Harry didn't know what to do so he bent down and clasped his wand carefully, finding that his new long hair (oh no, he was going to puke) was hiding his face. He used his wand to create a mid-air mirror, hands trembling and his back still to Snape.

When he saw what he saw he let out a cry of horror.

 

To be continued...
Chapter Twelve by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: And it's here! Don't let this chapter fool you, there's going to be a fluffy chapter soon, even if it'll have to have another angsty scene first. This was honestly an interesting chapter for me to write. Review me please, it takes a second but the happiness the author feels is eternal. Honestly. This chapter ended kind of sloppily because I wanted to publish it quick.

 

 

Oh Merlin. Was...was this him?

Okay, maybe he hadn't turned into an overlarge lizard or something, like he had expected to, but this...this was still pretty awful!

Harry looked at his new face. His cheekbones were much more prominent and his nose was slightly longer, but not really hooked. His face seemed much more angles and planes than before-but his eyes. They were still bright green and almond-shaped. His hair had changed and lengthened-absolutely straight, not a single tuft hanging up. Well, he didn't have to worry about it being messy anymore. His hair was also darker than before, and-Harry felt it in astonishment-it was more silky than oily.

Harry stared and stared, unable to believe this was how he actually looked. This was his real face. He probably could have been able to stomach it, but-but he had a bit of resemblance to Snape! And he couldn't live that down. He would rather die than look like-

"Potter?" Snape's voice was weak. "Did it work?"

"Yeah," Harry still didn't turn around. He decided to not give Snape any relief just yet. "Thanks to you, I look like a complete moron."

Snape flinched.

Harry took a deep breath. Then he turned around, surprisingly nervous for the reaction.

Snape bit back a gasp of shock. He blinked, at a loss of words. "You-you resemble your mother," he said finally, focusing mainly on Harry's still green eyes.

Harry looked at him in disbelief. The only unfortunate soul he resembled was Snape.

"It isn't as bad as I expected, though. And your hair certainly isn't that infuriating mop anymore."

"It's like yours,"

"No, it's like hers, only not red."

"Look, let's face it, I'm a copy of you. I think I'm going to go kill myself-"

"Potter, that's enough," Snape said sharply.

"I'm not Potter anymore, am I?" Harry said fiercely.

"I will call you Potter for now as I don't know what else to call you,"

"Really?" Harry gave a mocking laugh. "How about, let's see...my nameHarry?"

Snape looked at him stonily, not responding.

"Oh, forgive me, father, I forgot-you're not comfortable calling me by my name,"

"I said that's enough!" Snape shouted. "Even without looking like Potter, you still seem to be the same, arrogant child!"

"I'm not a child, nor am I arrogant-"

"Put the glamours back on before anyone catches sight of you," Snape ordered. "And if you hate your real self so much do us a favour and don't remove them,"

"You mean do you a favour," Harry spat. "You hate me still! Some father you are,"

Snape's teeth were gritted. Harry walked up to him. "It's time you make a decision. Either you refuse to acknowledge me and we all pretend we're not related to each other. Or either you grow a backbone and accept me and we figure out what to do,"

Snape looked at him. "I will never, never accept someone as arrogant and infuriating as you!" He said in a low, fierce voice. "I don't love you, nor will I ever. I hate your very existence," Snape didn't know where these angry words were coming from-but the moment he said them he regretted them.

Harry looked at him with eyes full of some emotion Snape did not want to acknowledge before leaving the office. He waved his wand and put the glamours back on as he walked. The mirror he left behind floated innocently in the air.

"Wait," Snape called out suddenly, panicking. "Potter, wait, I didn't mean-"

But Harry was long gone, and Snape for once couldn't blame him.

XXX

Harry went all the way back to his dorm, feeling like his heart had been ripped out and stamped on.

He couldn't believe it. Snape didn't want him. Snape didn't want him!

Why do you CARE? Harry thought. Like I want him to.

But he felt like crying, actually crying. It hurt. Even if it was Snape who had rejected him, it hurt.

All his life Harry had been rejected and hated and looked down upon. Hogwarts had been a change from that lifestyle. He was famous and adored-but Snape had always been the only one who had been not quite as adoring as his other friends.

Harry didn't want to be adored, but not hated either. Soon Snape had started to bully him just like the Dursleys did and now...now he had tuned away from his own son. Even though he wasn't a Potter anymore, didn't carry James Potter's genes, he had been turned out. That meant the hatred stemmed deeper than just a school-boy grudge. Maybe Snape hated him for who he was.

"Harry!" It was Hermione and she rushed forward to hug him. "Where have you been? We've been so worried!"

"Detention with Umbridge," Harry raised a bandaged arm. "She smacked my hand with a ruler, and it was cursed. I'll tell you the whole story, but we should probably get somewhere private,"

Hermione's brown eyes had gone wide but she led him to where Ron was sitting, building a castle with cards.

"Harry! About time," Ron said, standing up.

"Ron, you won't believe-" Hermione began. She cleared her throat and looked at Harry. "You explain, Harry, from the beginning. I can't believe that old hag dared..."

Harry sat and recited the entire tale of his detention, trying to sound casual so that they wouldn't suspect there was something else upsetting him besides that. He didn't mention Snape once and after hearing his two friends cursing Umbridge as much as they could, he set out to sleep.

He was glad his friends didn't think he was abandoning them anymore. Even though he felt abandoned most of the time.

XXX

"Potter," Snape held his arm tight before he could leave the classroom. "You're staying behind."

Some students stared at them curiously and Harry gritted his teeth, forced to stay still.

Once the classroom was empty, Harry shouted: "What?"

"I didn't mean what I said yesterday," Snape said urgently. "I just got angry,"

"Oh, really?"

"Yes. I don't like you, I'll grant you that, but I'm not about to abandon you."

"I don't care if you do."

"You wouldn't, but Potter-" Snape closed his eyes and muttered, "Harry,"

"No," Harry said harshly. "You lost the right to call me that, Snape. Just call me Potter,"

"I need to change my habits now," Snape said. "You're not Potter. The quicker we get used to it-"

"I don't want to. I don't want to be your son,"

"But you are," Snape growled. "So stop acting like a child!"

Harry glared at him. "If you were a father you wouldn't treat me like trash,"

"If you were my son you wouldn't speak to me like that," Severus retorted, reddening.

"You first," Harry snapped. "But I don't think you're capable of it, Professor. I don't think you've got even a bit of kindness in you." He stormed out of the classroom and Severus slumped back in his seat.

That wasn't true. He could be kind. He could.

Severus clenched his fists. Potter-no, Harry-was testing his patience.

XXX

Harry felt something stir inside him as he walked out of the dungeons. Anger. Resentment. Pity for himself.

He was basically all alone. Everyone around him seemed to have a family, a home. And they chattered about them easily, expecting Harry not to mind. But Harry did. He often wished he had a family too.

But my parents died for a good cause, for me!

But they were still not here. Well. His mother wasn't.

And it had turned out his father had not died after all...and it had also turned out that his father was actually Snape.

A dalliance, Snape had called it. So basically they had just met up in some random place? Did he even love her? Did she love him? Probably not.

Stop thinking about it, Harry begged himself. But for how long would his ignoring this topic work out for? One day he had to get the answers to his questions.

 

To be continued...
Chapter Thirteen by Roselina4389
Author's Notes:
Author's Note: You guys waited patiently...and it's finally here! The long-awaited fluff chapter!

 

Snape was sitting alone in his office, his head buried in his hands. He had been like this for almost an hour, thinking and thinking. He was angry and he was guilty and he was miserable. But all the thinking had deepened one thought into his mind:

Harry was his son.

And even if his fantasy had not turned out to be the way he had wanted it to be (Lily had died and had kept a major secret from him), he had to acknowledge the fact that he was indeed the boy's father.

He had been wrong to try to disown him. He knew that. Harry wasn't Potter, he didn't even look like him, not really. Harry was his son, no matter how mind-boggling it was and he had to find the boy and apologise, make this better.

The man took a shuddering sigh and stood up, intending to talk to Harry once and for all. He stepped out of his office and spent a long time walking, trying to find the boy. Suddenly he heard voices. He ducked behind and hid in the shadows, listening.

XXX

Harry stared at Umbridge. He had almost bumped into her on his way down to the library. She smiled sweetly at him, "Mr Potter,"

"Professor," Harry snarled.

"How's your hand?"

"It's fine," Harry said, trying not to sound very insolent.

Umbridge stared at it. "Who gave you permission to heal it?" She asked.

Harry flushed angrily. Snape had healed it, but he couldn't tell her that. Also, was she being serious? "Excuse me?" He said through gritted teeth.

"The whole point of the punishment was that you have a reminder of your misdeeds," Umbridge said, in her sickeningly sweet voice. Harry could have punched her.

"Well, too bad. I'm already healed. I need to get to the library now," Harry tried to push past her.

"You think you're something big, don't you Potter?" Umbridge stood in his way. "Spreading lies around the school and defying rules. Someone should take responsibility. I'm quite happy to punish you, if it means you'll stop breaking rules and spreading mayhem,"

"I'll have to say no, Professor." Harry's blood was boiling.

Umbridge narrowed her eyes. "What did you say?"

"I said no, you dirty, stupid old hag!" Harry shouted. He suddenly realised, with dread, that he had just fallen into her trap. She was looking for reasons to give him detention. He heard something shift nearby, but didn't concentrate on it.

There was a short silence. Umbridge then smiled even wider, her eyes glinting. "Well, Mr Potter. I stand corrected. I think you need another dose of the ruler, now don't you? Maybe on both hands this time? And no healing afterwards, that's for sure. Very well, then! My office, tom-"

"Excuse me," someone said, from behind Harry.

Harry whipped around in horror, only to see Snape. The man gave him a look with his eyes that clearly said don't interfere.

"Professor Snape?" Umbridge looked surprised for a moment, before smiling again. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh, I was just passing by when I happened to hear Potter's outburst. I'm quite used to it, of course, Potter has never had much respect for his teachers. But that was some language."

"Oh yes," Umbridge looked delighted. "I was just giving him a detention for his foul mouthery-"

"Oh no, Professor, I would like to assign this detention myself," Snape said ominously. Harry looked at him in shock. What the hell was the man doing? Another excuse to punish Harry, hurt him, or a chance to try to talk to him? Why wouldn't Snape leave him alone? "Potter, my office, now."

Umbridge looked a little taken aback. "Oh no, Professor Snape, I'll handle it-"

"I insist that you let me," Snape said, firmly. "It would be my pleasure,"

"Well...if you say so," Umbridge finally relented, still looking unsure. She looked at Harry and said sweetly, "Well, you better get going then Mr. Potter,"

Harry shot a miserable look at Snape as he was forced to follow him in silence to his office. He dreaded what the man would do to him. Maybe smack him again? Once they were inside, Harry didn't even get a chance to shout "What the heck was that about?", he was completely run over by Snape.

"What were you thinking, baiting her like that? When you know what she can do?" Snape demanded, looking very angry.

Why do you care? "I'm not scared of her,"

Snape ignored this. "Though I agree with what you said to her, of course. What was it? An old, dirty hag? I daresay she deserved it."

Harry simply looked at him in wonder. "She-she did?"

"Of course. She's a vile woman, the things she does. First cursed quills, then cursed rulers. Speaking of which, I should tell the Headmaster about that cursed ruler. I heard her threatening you with it-"

"No, you can't tell, things will just get worse. She might suddenly make a rule about how The High Inquisitor can hand out any punishment she wants, and I don't want her to know that I'm affected by her stupid detentions,"

Snape looked like he wanted to argue but instead he said, "I will have to assign you a fake detention tomorrow at seven. So that she is convinced that I really was angry at you. Or she will get suspicious. I usually don't let students go,"

"Will you give me work to do?" Harry grumbled.

"No, you can finish your homework, if you want. You did the right thing. Well, in a way."

Harry blinked, surprised at the support he was receiving. Snape was acting so...so nice all of a sudden. Like a dad. Harry blinked back tears and looked away.

"Potter? Potter, what's wrong?"

"N-nothing, I just...thank you, I guess." Harry mumbled.

Snape walked over to him and brushed away the tears with his thumb. "I wanted to talk to you," He said, awkwardly.

Harry gulped and nodded, showing that he was listening.

"I've been thinking about it, and decided that you were right. I should take responsibility. I am your father, however unexpected and unplanned it was. And it's my responsibility to take care of you. I'm not doing it for your mother, or because I'm guilty. I just know that it's the right thing to do."

Harry looked at Snape with wide eyes. "You-you want to be my father?"

"Yes," Snape admitted, flushing slightly. "I mean, we can try, can't we? We're both new at this. I haven't been a father before and you haven't had a father. We'll learn along the way. What do you think?"

"O-okay," Harry stammered, unable to believe it and surprised at how quickly he had given in. But he knew deep inside, that he longed for support and someone to look up to. He had Sirius, but-oh Merlin, Sirius! "But, sir, what about Sirius?"

Snape frowned like he had swallowed something bitter. "What about him?"

"What will he say? He was my dad's best friend, he'll be furious!"

Snape shrugged. "He'll have to deal with it."

Harry wasn't sure what to say to that. He loved Sirius, and he couldn't just replace him with Snape so soon.

"Before this pops up in the future, what shall we call each other?" Snape broke him out of his reverie. "Of course, no one can know about us. So I am to be known as Sir or Professor in public,"

"I don't think I can call you dad yet, I'm still getting used to stuff," Harry admitted.

A pink tinge appeared on Snape's cheeks. "And so am I. You can call me Sir or-"

"Your first name?" Harry smiled.

"Harry," Snape said warningly.

"You called me Harry!" Harry sounded genuinely delighted.

"Yes, well-"

"Severus it is," Harry grinned, feeling so warm and happy that his face started warming up. Then he felt awkward again. "Um, what made you change your mind, by the way?"

"I just...I just couldn't pretend anymore, I suppose. I felt like I was deceiving the both of us,"

"So you'll be nice to me now?" Harry asked, smirking.

Snape rolled his eyes. "I still have to keep my cover, so I might not be handing you sweets in class,"

"You'll be better than the Dursleys at least," Harry joked.

Snape was silent for a moment. "I was meaning to ask you," he said quietly. "What exactly did they do to you?"

Harry went completely silent for a few moments.

XXX

Snape had eventually made him sit down as he listened to the boy prattle on about his awful childhood, the bullying, the beatings, the unfair favouritism towards Dudley, the neglect, the spiders in the closet, the nightmares. Soon Harry was wrung dry, and was breathing heavily.

"...And then...then I was told that if I woke them up again with my screaming I would have to go sleep outside in the rain," Harry ended the story. "I hate them, honestly. Uncle Vernon absolutely hates me, he doesn't even think I'm human, just because I can do magic. I'm just some kind of freak of nature. Aunt Petunia is better, she doesn't hit me or anything, but she favours Dudley, makes me do chores and has never said anything kind to me for as long as I can remember. Dudley's the worst, he makes the situations so I get in trouble and often encourages his friends to bully me. He even laughed when he found out that I was depressed. He told me that I was a coward."

"That's enough for today," Snape said, his face a blotchy red and his eyes glittering with fury. "They're awful people. Why Dumbledore sent you there, I can't fathom,"

Harry shrugged, shaking his head. "Forget Death Eaters, I needed protection from them."

Snape noticed that there were a few tears in his eyes. He awkwardly patted the boy's shoulder, unsure what to do. He had never given comfort like this before. Wait, he had. To Lily. Damn it, he had to stop thinking.

He suddenly flinched as Harry subconsciously rested his head on his shoulder. "T-thank you for listening to me, Sir. I feel much better,"

Snape couldn't even talk, he just stared at the boy in surprise.

Harry mumbled, "I feel kind of tired. I think I'm going to go back to my dorm-"

"Well," Snape said. "You can sleep here, on the couch, if you want,"

"Really?" Harry looked up, absolutely shocked. "You'd let me?"

"I suppose..."

Harry looked like he wanted to say something really nice but then decided that they were not close enough yet. Snape got him a pillow and a blanket and let him lie down.

"I'll wake you up in an hour."

"What'll my friends say?"

"Just tell them you got in trouble with me. Rest now, I'll be sitting at the desk and working. You can call me if you need anything,"

"Sir?"

"Yes?"

"Thanks. For everything. Honestly."

XXX

Harry left the office later that day, completely rested, and very exuberant.

The nap had been peaceful, with the soft scratching of the quill in the background and the security of Snape being there. Maybe it could work. Maybe-maybe Snape wasn't so bad, after all. Maybe Sirius would understand too, and stop being so hostile with the man. Maybe Harry would finally have a family like everyone else.

"Potter," It was Malfoy, looking at him suspiciously. "I'm seeing rather strange things lately,"

"Stop looking in the mirror, that's the only advice I have for you," Harry snarled, moving away.

"Strange things about you. Something's going on. I'm keeping my eye on you,"

"Go get a hobby Malfoy," Harry snapped, face heating up.

"I'll find out about it eventually, Potter," Malfoy narrowed his eyes and left.

"Bloody git," Harry was suddenly extremely anxious. What if Malfoy actually found out about him and Snape? He'd tell everyone. Harry couldn't let that happen.

Frightened, he watched Malfoy leave.

XXX

"Severus, no, what if James finds out," Lily drew away from the sudden kiss. Severus looked dazed, his eyes glazed over. He pulled her closer by the waist.

"Serve him right, seeing other women when he has you, arguing with you at everything. He ruined your dinner with your sister, didn't he?"

"He was just being a laugh..."

"How long will you keep giving that man slack, Lily?" Severus shook his head. "He is immature and childish, he doesn't give a damn about your relationship."

Lily's eyes filled up with tears. "If we can only talk..."

"Talk?" Severus laughed. "He won't understand a thing! Don't you see, Lily, I love you, I love you so much. Break off the engagement, there's still time,"

"You love me?"

"Ever since I saw you," Severus said huskily. When would they stop talking? He didn't want to talk. He wanted to kiss her some more. He had dreamed about this for so long.

"You-you never told me," Lily said, taken aback.

"I never got the courage to," Severus said. "Until now. I can get you anything, Lily, a house, new clothes..."

"Severus, I..."

Severus bent down and kissed her again, his black hair falling over her face. "Ssh...I know what you want. You want a real partner, don't you? Someone who understands you? I'm here..."

"I..."

"Don't you want to do this?" He sounded hurt, slightly irritated.

"You're very nice to me. But you're my friend. My friend. James will-"

"Lily, please. Stop acting ridiculous. He's just going to make you cry some more,"

And with that, he silenced her once more with a pleading kiss. She kissed him too, absolutely willing. She did want him, she did. But she never said so. Not once. Almost like he was forcing her into it. Even though she had been the one to unbutton his shirt first.

Severus gasped, closing his eyes. When would these memories stop haunting him? When would they stop making him feel guilty? He knew he hadn't really done the right thing, but he had thought what he was doing was not wrong at the time.

Severus closed his eyes miserably. Maybe one day he would be able to forgive himself. But he wasn't sure if he would be able to forgive Lily. That was another matter.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3101