Pen Pals by The Lonely God With A Box, mandancie
Summary: Draco is exchanging anonymous letters with another Hogwarts student, pen named, Id. Id reveals disturbing information about himself, and Draco finds himself personally invested in Id's troubles. WARNING: It takes awhile for there to be much interaction with Harry and Severus.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Lucius, Other, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Mean
Genres: Action/Adventure, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: Yes Word count: 65095 Read: 208053 Published: 25 Sep 2014 Updated: 04 Sep 2016
From the Frying Pan into the Fire by The Lonely God With A Box

"You will kill this Death Eater."

"Please don't make me. Not Draco." Harry tried to stand, but his legs were still weak.

Moody had a rage in his eye that made Harry shrink back to the head of the bed. Moody took a step towards the bed, then pulled his wand out, looked down at the blonde headed boy unconscious on the floor, pointed it and yelled. "Crucio!"

Harry had never seen someone under that curse while they were unconscious. He never wanted to see that again. The withering. The screaming. A person looses everything when under that curse and now Draco was being humiliated in the worse way. The smell was telling, but when he saw the dampness in his trousers, all Harry wanted was for Moody to stop.

"STOP! PLEASE!" Harry screamed over Draco's screaming. "Please, just let him be. I'll do whatever you want to somebody else. Just not Draco. Please."

Moody looked over at Harry with disgust. He let the curse go on Draco. The room became silent again. Draco still did not wake. Everything that happened was reflexes and nerves.

Moody pointed his wand at Harry.

"Stop," Moody voice was dripping with disgust. "You plead for a Death Eater. You disgust me, Potter. You will learn."

Harry knew that look on his face. He didn't want this to happen. Not again. Slowly he tried to slide back to the other end of the bed away from Moody. Moody pointed his wand at Harry.

"Imperio," Moody said with a smirk.

Harry froze at the end of the bed. He hated this curse. He had no control over his limbs. Harry felt himself standing. Oh, the pain from the curse before and now being forced to stand! The pain was excruciating. He felt his legs walking towards Draco body. Tears were welling up in his eyes. Whatever he was going to do, he knew he wasn't going to like it. He felt his hands go to his belt and start unbuckling it. He knew he was standing by Draco.

Harry had a suspicion of what Moody was about to make him do. When he felt the button on his pants pop open, he knew he really did not want to do whatever his former professor was thinking.

"P-please...Pro...fess...or," Harry struggled out. "D-dd..don't m-make me."

Moody looked at Harry and lifted the curse. Harry fell unceremoniously next to Draco. He pulled himself closer to Draco and tried to wake him.

"You know Harry," a grungy voice pierced the now silent room. "You're pleas will not always work. You will cast the killing curse. You will Crucio this Death Eater. And if you want to live the rest of the day, You. Will. Stop. Interrupting. Me."

Harry tried to curl up in a ball. When Moody stepped away from him, Harry pulled himself closer to Draco, gripping the other boy's robes, shaking them a little.

"Draco," Harry whispered. "Draco, please. Wake up."

Moody walked over to them and looked at Harry. He pointed his wand at Draco.

"Rennervate."


Severus glanced around once Draco had disappeared. It was obvious from the looks on the others' faces that they had seen what had happened. Well, Severus thought wryly, so be it then. He would just have to deal with the fallout of his actions like he always did. Immediately he began to think of ways of explaining what he had done. He had only a few moments before someone acted. He truly wished to avoid dying that night. Dying really wasn't on his list of things to do that night, and it would put quite a crimp in the idea of handing out his Defense finals. But then, it was a cursed position.

"Severus," the Dark Lord addressed him, quite patiently. "Step forward." Severus rose and stood before the Dark Lord, head bowed slightly, out of respect.

"Yes, my Lord?" Severus replied.

"If you would care to explain why you thwarted my intent, so blatantly in my sight," the Dark Lord continued, "that would be appreciated. I do not look forward to killing my best potions master tonight."

"My Lord," Severus began, "before the school year began, when you commissioned Draco to kill the Headmaster, Narcissa and Bella came to me and Narcissa asked an Unbreakable Vow from me to protect Draco - to carry out his mission should he fail. While such an action was naturally displeasing to me, Bellatrix created the ultimatum that if I did not take the Vow, it was because I was not truly loyal to you. Of course I needed to convince her of my unfailing loyalty, since your word wasn't good enough for her." His eyes slid over to where she now stood, furious. "Since I am bound by this Vow, my Lord, and have no wish to test its boundaries, for fear of my life, it was only natural that I try to protect the boy from what, according to your previous threat, would likely be a death sentence. I am prepared to suffer for my actions, my Lord, but that is my defense." Severus bowed, slightly, at the waist, awaiting his master's verdict.

There was a pregnant silence as everyone listened carefully what what the Dark Lord would say. No one spoke. No one moved. Severus himself held his breath.

"Narcissa? Bella?" the Dark Lord finally said. "Is this true?" Narcissa nodded mutely, and Bella stepped forward in front of her sister.

"My Lord, I apologize for doubting your word," she began. "What Snape says is true, but it was only because of how he has refused to suffer for you, as your loyalest have."

"Bella," the Dark Lord replied softly, "it is my decision to determine who is loyal and who is not. You have overstepped your bounds."

"I am truly sorry," Bella repeated. "Punish me in any way you see fit."

"I will see to your punishment, personally, later tonight," the Dark Lord said casually. Severus wasn't sure if the look on Bella's face was terror or elation, perhaps both. But then, the Dark Lord turned to him once again.

"You, on the other hand, Severus," the Dark Lord said, "will be punished now. Bella's was a private crime, to be punished privately, while yours was a public one. It is only fitting that you be punished publicly as well."

"As you wish," Severus agreed.

"I will begin," the Dark Lord said. "The rest of you may have your fun after. Do what you will to him, but leave him alive and sane, or you will receive a worse punishment than his." His followers nodded their assent. "Crucio!"

Severus collapsed and his muscles stiffened to the breaking point with the effort not to writhe. He bit his lip to keep from screaming out until he could feel blood flowing freely. The spell was released, and Severus found himself on his hands and knees, with a small pool of blood growing as it continued to drip from his chin. If he wasn't careful, he was going to chew his lip right off, Severus realized. Perhaps it would be better to simply forego what few scraps of dignity he had left and scream like a child. He smeared blood on the back of his hand, and found himself mesmerized by the bright red liquid.

The next thing Severus knew, the Dark Lord had him by the roots of his hair and shook him firmly, finally forcing him to look upon his noseless features.

"This is for your disobedience," he began, "but I understand your reasons. That is the only thing that stands between you and death. I hope you know that, Severus."

"I do, my Lord," Severus gasped, his neck still held in a painful position. He gasped when the Dark Lord let him go.

"Do as you may," the Dark Lord instructed dismissively. "Do not kill him. Leave him intact, mentally and physically. As long as it can be healed, you may do it." There were quiet, urgent whispers among the other Death Eaters. Severus didn't care to try to focus on their content.

Perhaps he should have though, because the next thing he knew, he let out a shout of surprise, entirely unintentional, as he found himself dangled in the air by his heel. He neither knew nor cared to know who had cast the spell, but whoever it was, that person certainly had an excellent of psychological torture. It was not a painful spell, physically, but the person had to know what it signified to him and was exploiting that.

Severus didn't want to give them the satisfaction of hearing him beg, but if they were going to be as ruthless as he feared, he thought he just might. In many ways, that scared him more than the thought of the pain, which in itself was enough to make him feel sick.

Abruptly, the spell was cut short, and Severus fell into an unseemly heap on the floor with a grunt. He knew he would receive no mercy from the other Death Eaters, if for no other reason than the Dark Lord would wander through their minds later to see that each had participated in the event properly, since he had left. Perhaps that was why he had left - so that the others would fear for their safety and torture him all the worse.

Time ceases to exist when a person is in enough pain, and it didn't take long for Severus to reach that point. The Death Eaters were careful to give him breaks and rests between Crucio's if only for the sake of his sanity. Severus didn't know how long he lasted until he broke and began to beg and cry for mercy that would never come.

Finally, both physically and mentally exhausted, he felt consciousness slipping out of his grasp. Instinctively, he fought to hold on, simply because when he was unconscious he couldn't know what was happening and he was more vulnerable. But his resistance didn't last long, and he lay passed out on the cold, stone floor.

It was at that point that the other Death Eaters presumed their assignment finished, for fear of pushing Severus too far. In a few minutes, all of them had filed out and disapparated from the room, leaving Severus alone.

Some time later, Severus groggily pushed himself up onto his hands and knees, wincing as pain shot through all his nerves. He almost jumped when the floo next to him flared to life. Ignoring the pain, Severus quickly scrambled to his feet, suddenly realizing what a bad idea that had been when his vision tunneled. He stumbled closer to the table where he braced himself against it until his vision cleared.

"Severus," a familiar voice said.

"You're supposed to be in Azkaban," Severus replied, his voice dripping acid. "What are you doing here?"

"Sirius Black isn't the only one who can orchestrate and breakout," Lucius Malfoy replied, his voice a bit hesitant, if such a thing were possible.

"Leave me alone, Lucius," Severus sighed. "I have things I need to see to." Severus stood straight and tried to step over to the floo. Lucius put a hand on his shoulder and Severus paused.

"You look like you've been through hell."

"That's one way of putting it," Severus snorted. "Now let me go." He brushed Lucius' hand aside.

"No, Severus," Lucius contradicted, grabbing his wrist instead. "We need to go somewhere together. It's urgent." Severus sighed.

"I promise you, whatever it is you have, my errand is more urgent. Can we postpone this outing?"

"No, we can't," Lucius insisted. And with that, Lucius took Severus with him in side-along apparition.

The shock of apparition was strong enough, combined with the still recent torture, that when Severus' feet hit the floor, he vomited.


There was a loud gasp coming from Draco. Harry tried to sit up. He gripped Draco's robes and brought him closer to him.

Draco looked up and saw Harry. A small smile graced his lips. Harry was looking down at him. Harry was alive.

"You're alive," Draco gasped.

Harry's brow creased.

"Yeah," Harry said. "Are you alright?" A smell of ammonia assaulted Draco nose, and his eyes fell on the wet spot on his trousers. Weakly, Draco sighed.

"A Crucio, I suppose?"

"I'm so sorry, Draco. The last thing I wanted was for you to get involved in this." Draco smiled softly as he turned his head towards Harry.

"Don't worry," he said. "I've been involved from birth. So what's been happening when I've been indisposed?" His voice dropped much quieter. "Please tell me quickly before our Death Eater hating friend over there decides that we can't talk anymore."

"They've been training me. This is where I've been going all year," Harry said.

"And if he doesn't shape up," Moody said walking back in the room, "he's going to end up just like you, Malfoy." Draco raised a skeptical eyebrow, and seemed to fight back an indignant snort.

"Oh, I highly doubt you'll ever have to worry about Potter being a Death Eater," Draco said offhandedly. "Unless you continue terrorizing him like you are. I mean - " Draco tried to sit up some more and winced " - it's not like you're doing much to convince him to want to fight for you."

Moody looked at Draco with both eyes. An evil smirk graced his lips as he cocked an eyebrow at the boy on the floor. He took an ominous step towards Harry and Draco. Just looking at Draco, Draco started withering in pain. A scream escaped Draco's lips. Harry tried to move closer to Draco and try to take the brunt of the spell, but found that he couldn't move.

"You see, Harry," Moody growled out, still looking at Draco. "Soon you will learn to cast this spell without a wand."

"Stop! Stop, please," Harry tried to move from his invisible bonds.

After another minute, Harry watched as Moody's magical eye seemed to move and look behind his head. Once that happened, the curse was lifted off of Draco and Harry. Draco was on his back trying to control his breathing. Harry, still weak from the earlier curse, tried to move closer to Draco.

"Well, well, finally," Moody said turning and walking out of the room. "It's about time you showed up. Good, you brought him."

"Of course I brought him," a voice snapped. Draco had managed to laugh while under the threat of certain death from Mad-Eye Moody, but suddenly his cocky mask crumbled away. He looked at Harry, horrified.

"Please, Harry," Draco pleaded quietly. "Believe me when I say I didn't know. He's supposed to be in Azkaban!"

Harry, from where he was sitting, had a better vantage point. He could see who Moody was talking to. When he saw Lucius Malfoy, he blanched. But what made he even more scared than normal, was he saw who Lucius was holding. Harry looked at who Lucius had and then looked down at Draco, fear in his eyes.

"Let me go, Lucius!" a third voice growled. Draco felt like giving up. His only hope of rescue had failed. Harry could see the despair wash over Draco.

"We're dead," Draco whispered. "Just kill me now and get it over with quickly." Draco's breathing became rapid and shallow. "Please."

Snape stumbled into the room, Malfoy Sr. and Moody on either side of him. Snape's sharp eyes darted around the room, and Draco could almost feel them pierce his soul. After a moment of terrible silence, Snape turned his head towards Moody.

"What are you doing to my students?" he asked, his voice deathly quiet.

"You don't have authority here. I do," Moody said. "But I have to say, you being here is a bonus." Moody let go of Severus and sat down on the bed, both boys forgotten at the moment. "I've never liked you, Severus. I've never trusted you."

"Well," Severus said trying to get better footing. "Albus tends to disagree..."

"Do you think I give a rat's ass what Albus thinks!" Moody stood up and got in Severus face. Severus just looked at him. "You're nothing but a filthy Death Eater, that got the Potters killed."

"What?" a small voice from behind Moody asked.

Draco looked up at Harry. Moody saw what he wanted to see.

"There it is," Moody praised.

He walked over towards Harry. "Now, we're getting somewhere."

Harry looked from Moody to Severus. Harry wasn't really sure what he was seeing in his professor. It almost look like regret.

"Is it true?" Harry asked.

Moody's lips curled up as he turned and looked at Severus. "Well, Snape, answer him."

"It's complicated," Severus said.

"How complicated can it be?!" Harry's voice was getting louder. "I know that you didn't like my dad, but I didn't think you would stoop so low as to get them killed!"

Moody leaned over closer towards Harry.

"Now," he whispered. "Cast Crucio."

"Harry, don't!" Draco cried.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3106