Pen Pals by The Lonely God With A Box, mandancie
Summary: Draco is exchanging anonymous letters with another Hogwarts student, pen named, Id. Id reveals disturbing information about himself, and Draco finds himself personally invested in Id's troubles. WARNING: It takes awhile for there to be much interaction with Harry and Severus.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Lucius, Other, Ron
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Mean
Genres: Action/Adventure, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Physical Punishment Spanking, Neglect, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 35 Completed: Yes Word count: 65095 Read: 208055 Published: 25 Sep 2014 Updated: 04 Sep 2016
A Broken Mirror by The Lonely God With A Box

Harry and Draco walked out of the bedroom towards the sitting room. There they saw their professor sitting in his chair with his head leaning back on the head rest of the chair. His eyes were closed. Even though they wanted to help Severus, neither boy really wanted to get yelled at again.

"How long are you two going to stand there staring at me?" Severus' eyes weren't open and he didn't move his head from the chair.

"Professor," Harry started.

"No," Severus opened his eyes and sat up straight. "Why is this so hard for the two of you? Leave me alone!"

"But Professor," Harry tried again.

"Look, Potter," Severus said, standing up. Both boys noticed the slight wince of pain on his face. "Draco has to stay here for his safety. You don't."

"Professor," Draco said. "What are you saying?"

"You're kicking me out," Harry accused. Severus looked, really looked, at the two boys before him. He didn't really know why he was attacking them the way he was. They really didn't do anything but help him. Yes, he was having a nightmare and as much as he didn't want to admit it, them waking him up was a relief. Not that he would ever tell them that. He amended his thoughts - he did know why he was attacking them. He didn't want to admit that they had helped him in any way. Harry took the silence the only way he could. He wasn't wanted. He looked at Draco and then walked to the door.

"Where are you going?" Draco asked.

"I'll see you around, Draco." Harry left out of the chambers, and he smiled weakly at Draco, trying to assure him that everything would be alright. Draco looked at Severus.

"He can't be alone, Professor." Severus swore and followed Harry out of the door. Severus followed swiftly and in a few moments was close enough to an unsuspecting Potter boy to reach out and clamp his hand down on Harry's shoulder. Harry gasped and spun around, trying to wrench himself out of Snape's strong grasp, but to no avail.

"And where do you think you're going?" Severus glowered at him. Harry's jaw worked up and down, but he didn't say anything coherent.

"Everything okay?" a quiet voice came from behind Snape. Severus quickly turned towards the voice, in the same movement, forcing Harry to stand behind him. Harry looked up at the back of his Professor and was very confused with the man. One moment he didn't seem to want Harry around and in the next instant, he was putting himself in front of Harry as to protect him from an unknown potential threat.

"What are you doing down here, Longbottom?" sneered Severus.

"I-I was j-just..," Neville trailed off. Harry tried to step around Severus, but his Professor wouldn't allow it.

"Speak up, boy," Severus snapped. "Why are you here?"

"You - don't you remember?" Neville stammered.

"Answer me!" Snape hissed.

"The detention," Neville managed. "It was tonight, wasn't it?" Suddenly, Severus relaxed a bit.

"Ah, yes, your detention," he sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Get along with you then. Your detention certainly isn't in the middle of the hallway." Neville quickly turned and headed towards the Potions' classroom and rushed to go inside. Severus turned and looked at Harry.

"Go back to my chambers, and don't leave them again." Severus turned and headed towards the class room leaving Harry standing in the hallway. Harry watched as his Professor left. He couldn't help the small smile that graced his lips, but it did not last long. Just as Harry was making his way back to Severus' quarters, he was hit from behind. Everything went dark.


Two hours later, Severus walked back to his chambers. After the way he had been feeling, he should have postponed Longbottom's detention for another day. But that would have made him appear weak or compromised, and he certainly wasn't going to give his wards anything more to worry about. When he walked through the door, he was bombarded with a blonde teenager in a panic.

"Where have you been?" Severus brow creased.

"Detention. Didn't Potter tell you?"

"Harry left before you, and he's not been back." Severus looked startled for a moment, and then shook his head a bit despondently. He began to laugh.

"What's so funny?" Draco demanded, bordering hysteria.

"Absolutely nothing," Severus replied, leaning tiredly against the wall. "This was not part of my job description. Can you imagine the want ad? 'Hogwarts Potions Master needed. Must be able to bilocate and keep up with all the escapades of the Malfoy heir and the Boy-Who-Lived, while grading papers, preparing lessons, and enforcing discipline in the entire school.'" Severus sighed. "Stay put. I don't need to track you down too. You'll be safe enough if you stay here. I can't imagine what Potter's gotten himself into this time. Can't he stay out of trouble for a few hours at a time?" he added, more to himself than to Draco. Severus grabbed his cloak as a precaution and left the room without a further word. He made sure to cast a tight locking charm on the door before he walked far away, one that would keep Draco in and anyone but himself out. Quietly, Severus murmured a point-me charm and followed his wand to Harry Potter's location.


"Wake up, Mr. Potter," a gravely drawled voice said. Harry's eyes were scrunched tight from the headache he was sporting. Where was he? Harry wondered. Slowly he opened his eyes. From what he could see, he was still in the castle. The big question was where. Feeling the cold floor on his back let him know that he was still in the dungeon. Harry's hand instantly went towards his face, and the first thing he noticed was that his glasses were gone. With his myopic sight, he couldn't make out where he was or whom he was with.

"Who are you?" Harry tried to sit up but the pain in his head kept him on the floor.

"Someone who is going to continue your training." Harry felt his heart in his throat. Of course, once the buzzing in his ears had cleared, he recognized that voice, and felt himself tense in fear. Continue his training. No no no no no no no. Why did he ever leave Professor Snape's chambers? He knew it would never end.


Severus followed his wand as it lead him down the hall. Once he got to the last door, he heard a voice that should not be there. Not any more.

" - continue your training," was muffled through the door.

Severus pointed his wand at the door and yelled, "Expulso!" The door blasted opened surprising both wizards inside.

"Come back for more, did you?" Moody drawled.

"I warned you to stay away from my students," Severus said. Before Moody could even point his wand, he yelled, "Stupefy!" Moody flew against the wall beside Harry. Severus went to Harry's side.

"Potter, are you alright?"

"P-professor," Harry slurred.

"Can you stand?" Harry, who was on his elbow, tried to sit up, but winced in pain. Severus crouched down and wrapped his arms around the child's shoulder and under his knees and picked him up. Harry laid his head on the man's shoulder. At first he was embarrassed by having to be held like a baby, but the feeling passed since his head was killing him.

"Come on," Severus said softly. "We're going back to my chambers." Harry nodded mutely, but then realized what a mistake that was when the throbbing in his head increased sevenfold. He lay quiet, like one dead. Severus frowned, but didn't say anything. What could he say?

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3106