Unprotected by AccioSeverus
Summary: Harry Potter has made it through five years of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and summer break has only just begun. Unexpected and traumatic events leave Harry in more danger than ever before. An unlikely ally in Severus Snape may be his only answer as the situation deteriorates from bad to worse and Harry’s two best friends become pawns in a deadly game of cat and mouse.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Ginny, Original Character, Remus, Ron
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 35621 Read: 53109 Published: 02 Oct 2004 Updated: 30 Jun 2005
Aftermath by AccioSeverus

Once everything had settled down a bit, Severus had asked one of the Aurors how they had known there was trouble. It turned out that Arabella Figg had returned home from shopping to find her house empty except for a note telling her to watch the Dursleys’ house. Glancing out the window she had spotted two children rushing out of the house, who had informed her of the attack, resulting in a firecall to the Aurors from a slightly hysterical squib.

After having his curiosity satisfied, Severus answered the Aurors’ preliminary questions and agreed to meet with them the following day, once he and Potter had a chance to rest. Severus told the Aurors about the Death Eater attack at the Shrieking Shack and they Disapparated with the body of Peter Pettigrew after turning over the Weasleys’ wands to Snape, leaving Severus and Harry alone in the quiet living room.

Harry stood stock-still, staring at the plethora of photographs of his late cousin Dudley. His mind wandered and he did not hear his professor asking him if he wished to be alone. His eyes were instead drawn to a lone photograph of the entire family—minus Harry, of course—that must have been taken not long before the car accident that claimed their lives. The father and son, equally corpulent, looked so very much alike, with their porcine features and pale doughy bodies. Beside them painfully thin Aunt Petunia sat primly, her back rigid, smiling artificially. I’ve never seen a natural smile on her face, Harry thought, his brow furrowing.

In the silence Severus found himself getting caught up in his own thoughts. He knew the child had not seen the complete incident in his pensieve before and now the child knew the whole humiliating truth. Blast! Severus considered Obliviating the boy, but decided against it. The child has had too much manipulation of his mind by those he had come to trust, he thought. There was currently a very weak bond of trust between Harry and Severus and the teacher was surprised to find that he did not wish to break that. The Potions Master decided he would take Dumbledore aside and give him a tongue lashing for invading Potter’s mind. He could have tried to reason with the child more, even threatened to use Veritaserum, but the Headmaster had gone directly for the quickest option. Who knows what would have happened had he decided to try other methods first?

His mind returning to the teen beside him Severus was unsure of whether he should stay or go since the child had not answered his question. He watched the child looking at family photographs. Following his gaze Severus saw photos of a bloated boy in every photograph. Where is Harry? thought Severus. Something is not right. He began to search for a photo of the Potter boy amongst the shrine to this other child. There was the obese child on a bicycle, on a pony, sitting amongst large piles of gaudilywrapped gifts. The more Severus scanned the photos the more surprised he became. Was there was not one single, solitary photograph of Harry Potter here? The only photograph with more than this obese child in it was one with two adults, presumably Potter’s aunt and uncle.

"I don’t see any photographs of you, Mr. Potter," noted the professor as he came to stand beside the young Gryffindor. The flashes of Potter’s memories during the Occlumency lessons had given Severus a different perspective of the child’s home life and the Potions Master found himself curious about the boy’s life.

Harry smiled sadly. "They didn’t take pictures of me, sir," he said softly, shaking his head. The smile quickly faded as he picked up the photo of the family together.

"If you would like to be alone I can go on ahead to Mrs. Figg’s house?" Severus asked a second time, uncomfortable with seeing the child in such a vulnerable state. The Potions Master felt out of his element, thinking he was no good at helping people who needed comfort.

Severus knew the pain of loss as well as anyone, but he could also understand the mixed feelings regarding someone’s passing when the relationship had been less than ideal. His own father had been a harsh and unyielding wizard who had frequently passed over the line between discipline and abuse. When he passed away Severus had felt elated, yet empty. It took him many years to accept the fact that he did not mourn the harsh and demanding father that he had, but the caring and understanding father that he had never had. I have my mother, at least, he thought. Mother worked tirelessly to show me enough love to make up for my father’s disinterest, but this child has no one.

Severus slanted a glance at the teen, who was running a finger along the gilt-edged picture frame. Potter did not answer yet again. The child was lost in his own world. The Potions Master saw a slightly trembling lower lip and tears sparkling at the corner of the teen’s eyes and he glanced away, feeling as though he was invading the child’s innermost thoughts and feelings when he was in a most vulnerable state.

Harry stared at the faces of those who should have loved him, but thought of him as a burden instead. He used to wonder sometimes if Death Eaters would kill the Dursleys, but he never considered that their lives would end in such a Muggle fashion.

Harry was alone now, all alone. The Dursleys may not have loved him but they had given him a home, for what it was worth. Where would he go now? There was no Sirius to live with and without Sirius he would be damned if he would live in that house. He felt tears born of frustration and grief spring to his eyes.

Remus was currently homeless due to the wizarding world’s prejudice against werewolves, which prevented him from making a decent living, so he was presently living at Grimmauld Place. Harry just could not live there, not right now; it was too painful.

Harry thought about his best friend, Ron, and his big, caring family. They would take him in, Harry was sure. Mrs. Weasley was more of a mother to him than anyone else had ever been.

Suddenly Harry became aware that he was not alone in the room and that it was none other than Snape who was witnessing his vulnerability; Harry angrily swiped at his eyes with the back of his hand.

"Let’s get out of this place," Harry said gruffly.

As the two made their way into the bright sunlight of Privet Drive, they were moving more slowly. Harry’s legs had begun to ache terribly and he saw that Snape was cradling his abdomen. The inevitable free-fall following the being-in-danger adrenaline rush combined with the pain potion wearing off left Harry exhausted.

As they stepped onto the doorstep to Mrs. Figg’s house, Harry reached out and touched Snape’s arm lightly.

"Professor, I won’t say anything, you know," Harry said as he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck. "I never told anyone about what I saw before… in the pensieve."

Severus was flabbergasted, having been certain that the child had spread this terrible memory all over the school, or at the very least to his Gryffindor friends. Eyeing Harry suspiciously he asked, "You told no one, not even your friends?"

"Well, I asked Remus and …Sirius about how they treated you in general but I didn’t tell them what I had seen. I won’t tell anyone what I saw then or what I heard today." Harry looked directly into Snape’s wary black eyes. "I’m sorry that I looked into the pensieve, sir. It was wrong."

Severus found that no words were coming to his lips. It was not often that he had someone apologize to him and he found the experience to be rather pleasant. It felt like vindication of sorts. He was still not quite sure that he could believe the child had told no one, and yet the apology seemed very sincere.

As his teacher continued to stare, Harry began to feel uncomfortable. In an effort to lighten the mood he said, "I won’t say anything about your snoring problem either!"

Snape’s eyebrows rose. "I do not snore!" he said indignantly.

Harry snorted. "How would you know? You’re asleep!" he replied with humor in his voice.

Snape’s cheeks suffused with color. "I…I simply know, that is all." The unmitigated gall of this whelp, thought Severus as he crossed his arms over his chest huffily.

Harry had never seen Snape so normal. For some odd reason this made him happy and he smirked at his Potions professor. "Believe what you want," he said before adding in a softer undertone, "but you do snore."

Snape chose to ignore the added comment and opened the door to Mrs. Figg’s home. Once inside Severus transfigured his clothing back to his usual robes, immediately starting to feel more like himself.

Mrs. Figg bustled over to them already talking a mile a minute. "I’m so glad you are okay, although I should be angry with you for not being honest with me about what you were planning to do!" Her anger quickly faded as she saw how tired the two looked. "Are you thirsty, dears? I’ll get you some lemonade." As she headed for the kitchen Harry looked around, seeing Ron asleep on a couch with Ginny perched on the edge of an armchair nearby staring at her brother.

As Harry approached the siblings, Ginny turned her head seeing him for the first time. She leapt up from the chair and enveloped him in a huge hug, tears streaming down her face.

"It’s okay, Ginny," Harry said comfortingly. "It’s all over now."

Harry held tight to Ginny, smoothing her hair as he looked over her head, watching Snape kneel beside Ron. Snape reached out and took hold of Ron’s right arm, holding it up while allowing the hand to hang down limply. Curious, Harry watched as the former Death Eater peered intently at the faint tremors of Ron’s hand as it dangled. Carefully positioning the redhead’s arm back upon his chest Snape then looked up at Harry.

"The tremors are very fine now. The boy should recover fully without any lasting deficits. I can give him a potion to uncloud his thinking and ease the remaining tremors," Snape said, glancing back to the redhead with clinical detachment.

Ginny pulled away from Harry and addressed Snape. "He’ll be okay?"

"It would seem so," Snape said haughtily. "I’ve seen this many times before. The fact that the tremors are quickly fading is a very good sign."

Harry frowned slightly noticing that Snape’s face had taken on the familiar mask of the cold and arrogant teacher again with Ginny. Now that the danger is over will Snape treat me like that too? he wondered.

"I have to firecall Mum!" Ginny bounded across the room to the hearth.

Snape got to his feet and brushed the cat hair from his knees before removing a black box from his pocket and enlarging it. Opening the lid he rummaged through the various phials as Mrs. Figg returned with four glasses of lemonade on a tray.

Snape took a glass from the tray and added three drops of a potion to the contents. He then tapped the glass with his wand and it became frosty and inviting. "Drink this Mr. Potter. It should help your legs," he said softly, with no trace of malice or coldness in his tone.

Nodding to his teacher Harry gratefully accepted the lemonade, downing the contents in several large gulps. He felt the familiar numbing effect and sunk down into an armchair for a rest.

"Thank you, sir," said Harry, smiling tiredly.

Remembering his vow to treat the teen with respect Severus nodded in return. "You are welcome, Mr. Potter."

"You can call me Harry, sir," he said in a faraway voice as his pain receded.

"I do not think that would be appropriate given our teacher/student relationship, Mr. Potter, but I appreciate the sentiment just the same."

Harry opened his eyes to see for himself what Snape’s expression was. He had not heard any condescension or cruelty in his teacher’s voice and he could see that Snape was not scowling or smirking, although he wasn’t smiling either.

The serenity of the moment was quickly shattered as Molly Weasley came through the Floo and whooped with joy at seeing her two youngest children safe and sound. After bone-crushing hugs to them all, even Snape, the group settled down.

Snape rubbed his abdomen cringing slightly from Molly’s exuberant assault when he saw that Ron’s eyes were opening. He retrieved his potions and began to dose a glass of lemonade for the teen. As he watched the Weasley children being greeted by their mother in a most ebullient manner, he made some small talk with Harry.

Ron blinked owlishly as his mother finally pulled away and allowed him some air. He was concerned that his thinking was not correct as he saw Harry and Snape having a conversation. They are having an actual conversation, for Merlin’s sake, no barbs, no dark sarcasm, no yelling! marveled Ron. Something is definitely off. Snape turned to him and approached, holding out a glass of lemonade laced with some potion. Ron’s eyes grew large and he looked to Harry for reassurance. Harry explained that the potion was for the aftereffects of the curse so Ron drank it.

Molly scooped her youngest son to her bosom cooing to him and making his ears burn with embarrassment. Ron extracted himself from her grasp and sat beside her on the couch with Ginny on his other side.

Mrs. Figg asked about the rest of the Order, but no one had heard anything regarding their mission to the Shrieking Shack. Snape had dispatched the Aurors there directly from the Dursley house but that had been twenty minutes ago and there was still no news.

Molly tried to keep everyone’s spirits up by telling them about the newest experiments her twins were conducting for a gum that could make the chewer invisible. It was true that it was not yet close to being ready, currently only making the chewer’s appendages disappear, but she had all hopes that it would soon be perfected. She was very proud that the twins were using their skills to make items that would be of use to the Order.

Snape seemed to be particularly interested in this new gum, asking many questions most of which Molly could not answer.

After another twenty minutes or so the group was relieved to see Remus Lupin unfold his long body from the hearth. Harry rushed up to greet him squeezing his arm. "Remus, I’m so glad you’re okay!"

Tired looking and with his robes singed in places, Remus smiled broadly and pulled Harry into a bear hug. "I’m glad to see you too!" The werewolf then saw the Weasleys on the couch. "I see that you’ve managed to do it again!" he said to Harry.

"I had help," said Harry as he looked over his shoulder to Snape who still sat in an armchair by the hearth.

"Severus?" asked Remus, gobsmacked.

Severus said nothing, simply smirking toward the werewolf.

"Where’s my Arthur? Bill? The twins? Where are they, Remus?" Molly’s voice had taken on a hysterical quality. She physically pulled Remus away from the hearth as though she expected the rest of her clan to come bounding out at any moment.

"Now, Molly, I’d like you to stay calm. Bill was hit with a rather nasty curse," Remus began before quickly adding, "but he’s okay! He’s okay! They’ve taken him to St. Mungo’s and the rest of your family is there with him."

Molly stood still for a moment her hand over her mouth. She looked to her two youngest children and drew herself up to her full height. "That’s our cue, kids," said Molly as she began to usher her kids toward the hearth. "Off we go."

Ron lagged behind going over to Harry. "Hey, mate," he said. "I never really understood what you went through before with…well…Voldemort." Ron seemed to find his shoes very interesting all of a sudden. "I just wanted to thank you for helping, you know."

"You don’t have to thank me, Ron. You’d have done the same for me. Besides, Professor Snape helped me. We planned it together."

Ron looked over to Snape who was now deep in conversation with Remus, regarding what had happened at the Shack. Ron gave Harry a rather sour look. "Are you sure about that?"

Harry laughed. "Yes, Ron. He’s really not so bad."

Harry watched the Weasleys prepare to leave with a wistful expression on his face. Molly, now in complete Weasley-matriarch-mode and oblivious to Harry, was impatiently dragging Ron away from him toward the Floo. Harry sighed realizing that no matter how close he was to the Weasleys he would never be family. He wouldn’t move in with them; they would have enough to deal with when Bill was released from St. Mungo’s.

Harry shook his head to clear his thoughts and looked over to where Remus was telling Snape that the Potions Master needed to tell his mother about his past before someone else did it for him.

Severus narrowed his eyes. "Who would do this? You, perhaps?"

"Me, no! Why in Merlin’s name would I tell you that if I was the one who wanted to tell her?"

Severus was tired and irritated. He didn’t need one more thing hanging over his head right now. "Then who are you talking about? Is it Fletcher or Moody?" he snapped.

Remus sighed. "Either would jump at the chance. The Order is regrouping at Grimmauld Place, Severus. I think we should go there now."

Harry went over to where Remus and Snape were and sat down on the couch beside Lupin. The conversation ended rather abruptly as both turned to Harry.

"We need to get back to Grimmauld Place," said Remus.

"I’m not going to live there," Harry said, his voice a bit shaky.

"We’ll figure something out, Mr. Potter," said Severus, causing Lupin’s head to swivel towards him so quickly that it was almost comical.

"Is there a problem?" asked Severus feeling a bit self-conscious.

"No, of course not." Remus laughed a bit nervously. "Well, the rest of the Order awaits."

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=312