Appearances Can Be Deceiving by Orion Winter
Summary: Harry Potter isn't the only one to receive a gift on his 15th birthday. Dumbledore has been meddling again and Lily Potter is determined to save her family...from the grave.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Loving
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Evil!Albus, Injured!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 5th summer, 5th Year, 6th summer, 6th Year, 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Bashing, Neglect, Out of Character, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 12900 Read: 24512 Published: 06 Nov 2014 Updated: 17 Nov 2014
Chapter 3 by Orion Winter

My Love, My Mione,

I hope this finds you in good time, knowing Hedwig it will as I swear she knows everything and understands the problems here. I have something to tell you that you are no doubt not going to like or believe for that matter. I will not be going to the Burrow this summer. My Uncle has decided he wants the whole family to spend more time together, with me really so that they can better get to know me. I won't be leaving Privet Drive this summer at all actually. I wish desperately that I could go to the Burrow with you. I miss you more than you could ever know. Please let your parents know I send my love and that I hope to see them on September 1st. I'll see you on the train, have fun and keep an eye on Ron for me.

Love you more than all the lillies in the garden,
Harry

!ESAELP epans rosseforp rof dnes !esaelp em pleh enoim . s.p

When Hermione Granger finished reading the letter from her boyfriend, she was shocked to say the least. Oh, by no means was shocked that his uncle would want to spend time with Harry. No, what shocked her was that Harry actually tried to pull off that excuse as if she would be ridiculous enough to actually believe it! The idea alone that Vernon Dursley could have a caring bone in his obese body for his nephew was not only propsturous, it was sadly, laughable.

"And Harry knows that."Hermione thought stangely.

She looked back down at the letter, marveling at the idea that she was meant to buy this load of codswallop when she noticed that post script at the bottom. It was written along the very edge of the page where she hadn't noticed it the first time she read the letter. It almost looked like scribbled babble that didn't make much sense at first, the more she studied the line of words, she finally understood what was wrong with them...

'They're backwards', she concluded, with a swell of pride that her love had thought of this and knew that she would eventually figure it out. She immediately ran to her mirror and held that letter facing it against her midsection, hoping to be able to read what Harry obviously wanted her to know but no one else. What she read sent chills of fear up her spine.

"mione help me please! send for professor snape PLEASE!"

Hermione stood rooted to spot for all of 3 seconds before she shook some sense into herself and went trying to help her boyfriend. She knew the horrors that Harry had suffered in the thing the Headmaster dared to call a home and she was genuinely terrified of not getting the Potions Master to Privet Drive in time. As she was wondering about how to get a message to professor, the answer hooted right at her...literally.

"Hedwig! I should have known you would have waited for me to catch up! Hold on girl, I'll get him help I promise." Hermione swore to the familiar.

She, like Harry, knew that Hedwig knew when her master,her human was in danger. Hedwig loved Harry and Hermione could only imagine how fast Hedwig had been determined to fly in order to get to her house in good time. She just knew that this bright and highly intelligent owl would stop for nothing until she found Professor Snape and he was at her Harry's side to aid him.

As soon as she was done with the last word of her letter to the Professor, Hedwig didn't waste any time. She instead jumped up, grabbed the still open parchement in her strong beak and flew out the window in a flurry of white, set on her mission to find the man that would save her human.

Hermione sat at her window and watched as the beautiful owl flew off into the sky. She sat there for so long by the time she was driven back out of her worry and her dispair, the sky had gone dark and the rain had begun to fall.

"Hermione, love are you alright?" her father's question drifted to her ears from her doorway.

She just sat there silently as she shook her head all the while holding out her letter from Harry for him to read. When Steven was done reading he too was worried for the boy. He had met his little girl's boyfriend at the beginning of the summer before the kids' fourth year and the two gentlemen had been sending letters to each other all year. Steven knew what Harry went through at that house though he was never told, and he now understood his beautiful daughter's such broken hearted expression...she was terrified and she wanted to help him.

"Oh sweetheart.." he tried to sooth her and sat down on seat with her bringing her into a hug, something he used to do when she was little and afraid of thunderstorms.

"Daddy, what if no one gets there in time to help him?" she asked. Hermione looked up at her father and he could see her eyes begging him for an answer.

"We'll wait until morning darling and go from there." he told her softly, at her outraged expression he hurried to explain his reasons. "Hermione, whether they get to Harry tonight or not, you still would not hear anything from anyone until morning as it is already late."

Steven watched his daughter wrap her head around his logic and with a nod of her head she slid off his lap and curled up under her blankets. She stared straight ahead at a photo framed on her nightstand of her and Harry at Hogwarts but made not a sound as he came over to tuck her in, leave her a kiss on her head and make to leave her be for the night. She stopped him before he even made it to her door.

"Yes, my sweet girl?"

'Thank you daddy." she whispered softly. He had almost be able to here her.

"You are most welcome Hermione". With that he turned to leave, and just as he was about to close his door, he heard what he thought was the most heart wrenching words his daughter had ever uttered...

"You can't leave me Harry Potter...I love you too much to loose you now." Hermione spoke the words with a strangled whisper of conviction to the stars, and as her father continued on he had only one thought in his mind.

'May god help those people if they take Harry Potter away from her'

For while Steven Granger loved his daughter and thought the world of her, he knew that should she have to live in a world without Harry, there would be Hell to pay.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3136