Spiral of Trust by Henna Hypsch
Summary: The summer Harry turns eighteen he sleeps alone in a shed at the Burrow. Will he be fit to return to Hogwarts for a seventh year of education? What does a last year at Hogwarts have to offer in the aftermaths of Voldemort’s demise? And how will Harry cope with the Headmaster in office?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Ginny, Hermione
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, General
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 7th Year
Warnings: Romance/Het, Romance/Slash, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Challenges: None
Series: Spiral
Chapters: 47 Completed: Yes Word count: 259426 Read: 207285 Published: 11 Nov 2014 Updated: 24 Nov 2015
Chapter 39 Luna less loony by Henna Hypsch

They had barely time to catch their breaths after Snape’s nerve-wracking inquiry before they had to recharge for Ginny’s quidditch matches on the Sunday. It was a full day tournament, where the teams played each others in turns. Four teams, one for each house, meant six matches in one day, whereof Gryffindor played three.

Harry, Ron and Hermione shouted themselves hoarse in support for Gryffindor from early morning till late afternoon at the quidditch stadium. Ginny had been nervous, but filled with a dogged determination to do well. As soon as she rose in the air and started to play chaser, all tenseness left her and she was all natural talent: flying speedily, positioning herself cleverly, making daring dives, insolent tackles and bold catches. As the captain of the team, she had trimmed her fellow players well and they had all a perfect understanding of one another.

Gryffindor had a down in the middle of the match against Ravenclaw, but caught up and won. The match against Slytherin was next to perfectly played where Ginny scored more than half of the goals. The tournament was as good as settled when they played Hufflepuff, but Ginny took no chances, her team kept their concentration and, albeit a few minor injuries, they carried the match through impeccably. Gryffindor won with a large margin to Ravenclaw which came second. Slytherin had a weak team this year and ended up last.

The entire school were on the stand. The headmaster and the teachers had seats on the western short side, among whom Harry noticed Mrs Steadfast, cheering wildly by Professor McGonagall’s side. The agents from the different National Leagues were positioned on the southern long side, at the highest level.

The Gryffindors celebrated their victory until far into the night. Ginny was exhausted and so sore in her muscles that Harry was barely allowed to touch her, but she was happy. The agents from the League had not beaten about the bush. Right after the sweaty players had cleaned up and changed, the agents had sought them out to make their proposals. Ginny had received offers from two different London teams. She was exhilarated. Suddenly she turned to Harry and the others with a serious expression on her face.

“This means I won’t apply for the Auror program. And that’s just as well. I’m so tired of school work. Moreover, with what happened in Paris – I don’t remember anything, but I’ve deduced from what you’ve told me that I was quite affected – I might not even be suited for the job as an Auror.”

“It was an extreme situation, Ginny. You’re good at fighting and would become a good Auror,” mumbled Harry.

“Well, you just might not become one yourself, will you? Not if you choose the Healing program instead?”

“Maybe not,” Harry conceded and looked down.

“But what will you do for a living, Ginny? You cannot just play Quidditch - it’s not particularly well paid during your first professional year,” objected Hermione.

“I’ve spoken to my brother and figured it out. I’ll work in George’s shop half-time to earn some money on the side, and the rest of my time will consist of Quidditch and pleasure!” Ginny said greedily. They had to laugh at her; she was irresistible in her appetite for life. Ron, however, choked on his laughter and looked bewildered at his friends.

“What about me, then? I thought we were going to the Auror program together, the three of us. Now it’s just me left!”

“I haven’t decided yet,” Harry pointed out. “But I think you should follow your mind healer’s advice and do what feels best for you, Ron, not let others decide.” Harry spoke sincerely, but Ron blushed and looked crestfallen.

With the events of the inquiry and of the Quidditch tournament, they had lost a whole week of revising which, especially for Hermione, was agonising. Therefore, on the Monday, there was no time to linger by the sweets of victory, and they launched into work. Every morning, Harry rose early to have a couple of hours of Arithmancy. He revised the other subjects at the library in the evenings.

***

Mrs Steadfast had looked happy enough when she had been cheering on Gryffindor to win the quidditch tournament, but during the remainder of the week her temper deteriorated. Harry only saw glimpses of her in the Entrance Hall from time to time as she hurried by, but Simmings told him in confidence that his boss was annoyed by all the attention Snape had drawn to himself subsequent to the inquiry. After being shunned like a dark artefact during two trimesters, Snape had suddenly become a popular object of social visits with people who wanted to discuss the future of the school, or the well-fare of their children.

Mrs Steadfast had been kept waiting on several occasions when she came to discuss important matters of security. She was used to have free access to Snape and it made her furious to have to step aside. Kingsley who saw his chance at last to pull off the prize for his difficult support of Snape since the end of the war, had made clear to Snape that he expected the headmaster to make the most of the good-will he had gained at the inquiry and treat all visitors with courtesy and respect. Snape had argued that such a campaign was quite meaningless until his fate had been determined by the real trial, because his improved status could be brought to nothing in the end. Kingsley had insisted, however, and Snape, for some reason, indulged to the best of his ability.

What upset Mrs Steadfast above everything, according to Simmings, was that Kingsley wanted Snape to meet the School Board’s wish to carry through with the school ball that had been cancelled only a few weeks earlier. Snape and Mrs Steadfast had quarrelled, Simmings said, or more truthfully, Mrs Steadfast had scolded Snape while he had stood mute, weary of defending himself.

Snape had finally cut Mrs Steadfast short and told her that he had already argued the sake of security with a ball to the School Board, but had not met with understanding since they praised the smooth arrangements at the inquiry, and expressed their conviction that the head of the Auror Office would have no problem repeating the excellent security measures for the occasion of a ball. Why, it would be the same thing, they had objected naively. Mrs Steadfast, apparently, had been fuming with anger and indignation at their ignorance and interference.

“If we can have a school ball where I’m allowed to Petrify everyone on a bench for the entire evening, that would be fine,” she had spat at Snape.

“Why don’t you go ahead and argue security by Kingsley or by the School Board yourself, Audrey? As it is right now, I’m tied up by my obligation to Kingsley. You’re the head of the Auror Office, not I,” Snape had retorted.

Mrs Steadfast had muttered resentfully and left the headmaster’s office in a bad temper. Despite her bold manners and outspoken language she had a cautious approach to authority, Simmings explained to Harry.

“She’s great - the best boss we’ve had since I started at the Auror program nearly ten years ago, but she’s insecure deep down when it comes to the practice at the Ministry. She’s been out of the country for nearly two decades and she doesn’t have the social network to manoeuvre with ease among those with influence. I guess she wanted Snape to stop the ball on his own authority.”

Apparently, Mrs Steadfast was not successful in persuading Kingsley of the risks with a ball, for shortly after the inquiry, the announcements were made that the school ball would take place in only two weeks’ time. The OWL students, the sixth years and the NEWT students were allowed to attend, and there would be a number of guests from the Ministry and, naturally, the members of the School Board. Kingsley wanted to make the most, politically, of the new-found confidence in the headmaster and prove to the wizard community that Hogwarts was once again a well-functioning institution and that things were getting back to normal after Voldemort.

Harry observed Kingsley speaking to Snape at one time at the inner court. He could not hear what they were saying, but the body language of Kingsley was forceful and persuading, whereas Snape’s was polite and reserved. Snape did not believe in this, Harry thought. He did not count on being acquitted at the trial and he was probably right to be pessimistic, if you had to believe what the judge Tempatino had cautioned them of. Nothing seemed to quench Kingsley’s optimism, though.

“The Prime Minister lets his political ambitions precede the security of the students,” complained Mrs Steadfast, who had stepped up beside Harry. “Even Kingsley has been touched by the sweets of power. And he doesn’t realise that Severus Snape is more than ever a target of the dark forces. If there is a spy at Hogwarts who witnessed the inquiry, they’ll be sure by now that he’s not one of them and he’s more at risk than ever of reprisal actions from his former gang.” Harry looked at her, troubled.

“There’ll be a lot of Aurors at the ball, I suppose?” he asked her. She snorted.

“The entire troop. They’re looking forward to it, too, the fools.” 

***

One week before the scheduled ball, Harry and his friends were in Hogsmeade for a small outing. Revising did no longer allow an entire afternoon spent in the Three Broomsticks, but as Ron pointed out to Hermione, they needed to stretch their legs from time to time and a walk to Hogsmeade and back was just what they needed to clear their heads before more reading. She agreed, and they set off together with Hagrid who had a few errands to the shops in the village.

It was a grey and damp day, although quite warm, with a lush verdure enveloping them as they approached the soft landscape surrounding the village. They split up, because Ginny and Hermione wanted to enter Petal, a shop for charmed beauty products, so Harry and Ron continued along the street with no specific aim. They walked with drawn wands as a precaution against attacks, although Harry knew that Mrs Steadfast had secured the village in the morning and that several Aurors were posted there.

Suddenly, Harry caught sight of Luna Lovegood walking in the opposite direction, along with a girl that he did not recognise from school. He whispered to Ron who could not place her either. They stared with curiosity at the witch with dark blond hair who looked slightly older than Luna. She might be a former student of Hogwarts, Harry thought, for she looked familiar somehow. He noticed that Luna hesitated a little when she saw that they were looking at her, before she decided to walk up to them.

“Hello Harry! Hello Ron! This is Josepha Starmed, a friend of mine.” The older witch blushed, but stretched out her hand to shake Harry’s. A sudden trick of the light as the sun shone through the clouds made the white jacket in a silky material that she was wearing shift to a green shade, and Harry suddenly remembered where he had seen her before.

“You work at St Mungo’s!” he exclaimed. “I took your place to assist Healer Solomon when you had to do duty at the Emergency Ward this winter.”

“You’ve met then!” Luna exclaimed, delighted, and coloured.

“We were never introduced,” said Harry. “Are you a medical student?” he asked with curiosity.

“I’ve finished my studies and done two years as a trainee healer, so I’ll graduate as a professional healer this summer,” said Josepha in a pleasant voice. Harry was impressed. She still looked very young.

“That’s three years of studies and two years as a trainee healer before you become an independent healer, is it?”

“Yes, it is, and additionally two years if you want to learn Muggle medicine as well. If you aspire to earn some Muggle money, or intend to influence the Muggle society, it’s an option. I’m not doing it, though - not many are tempted to, because according to what I’ve heard, it’s so frustrating to abstain from doing magic and let Muggle medicine have its course. To specialise into a specific branch of Magical Medicine is a more attractive alternative, so that’s what most of us do. I want to work in the Department of Care of New-born Wizards and Witches.” She smiled at Harry and glanced side-ways at Luna who coloured again.

Luna rattled on about how great it was that Harry and Josepha had come across and told them that she had met Josepha at a relative’s house at a Christmas party last year.

“So we haven’t known each other that long, but it feels like ages,” said Luna, a little breathless.

“Are you going to the school ball with Luna next Saturday?” Harry asked Josepha. They all froze to stare at him. Ron looked embarrassed, Josepha confused and Luna blushed to the hair roots. She suddenly threw her arms around Harry and hugged him.

“I love you, Harry Potter,” she said in a muffled voice. Harry laughed at her.

“I think you love her,” he said and gestured at Josepha. “It’s kind of obvious, isn’t it?”

“Most people pretend like nothing, even if they understand what’s going on. As for Luna and I, we’re not courageous enough, yet, to spell it out explicitly the first thing we do when we meet people. It’s still kind of taboo in the Wizard world - it’s even worse than among the Muggles. The magical community is so old-fashioned.  Admit, Harry, you cannot have come across a lot of same sex couples?”

“No... no, when I think of it, you’re probably the first couple of my acquaintance that I know of. Except the old British lady who Ginny and I met at a churchyard in Paris. She lived with her French maitresse whom she met fifty years ago, and still longed to be able to marry her.” Josepha quirked her lips appreciatively and looked amused at Harry.

“You accept it so easily!” exclaimed Luna. ”That’s what I mean, Harry. You’re a natural, love-embracing person.”

“I’m not, Luna. I have flaws like everybody else. I admit that I was kind of cross with you when I heard from Neville that you had probably met somebody else. I felt sorry for him. But when I see you with Josepha there’s no doubt that I want you to be happy, and you do look so well... less... less up in the clouds... if you know what I mean,” Harry said apologetically. Luna narrowed her eyes.

“Less loony, you mean?” she said. Josepha laughed.

“I love it when Luna sails away in her amazing world. I don’t want you to stop, darling!” she said. Ron muttered something and looked down on the ground. “As for the School Ball, I’m not coming. We wouldn’t feel comfortable,” stated Josepha.

“But won’t it bother you, Luna? Everybody else will go in couples and dance with the person they love?” asked Harry.

“It’ll be a bit boring, but it won’t kill me. It’s still delicate to show up at official occasions like that. Even if we didn’t dance with each other, people might take offence.”

Harry looked at her incredulous.

“We’re not ready to fight for it, at risk of provoking people’s sense of decency,” Luna added defensively.

“So you choose to stand back… Make yourselves invisible… And hide your love…” Harry said with a frown. Luna shrugged while Josepha opened her mouth.

“For the moment being, we choose to be careful. It’s still so new.” Josepha looked at Harry with an unwavering gaze. “We’ll have to rise and fight for our right to exist, also in official contexts, sooner or later. Let’s just say we’re indulging ourselves... Taking a small honeymoon before we expose ourselves to the contempt of the world.”

“Hopefully more people than you expect will be willing to accept your love,” said Harry. Ron still had not opened his mouth.

They left Luna and Josepha to end up eventually at the Three Broomsticks to have a quick Butterbeer. Ginny and Hermione joined them while Hagrid settled down beside Professor Sawman and Professor Vector, who still had not commented with one word that she would allow Harry to write the Arithmancy NEWT exam. Hermione reckoned Snape must have twisted her arm more or less openly to have her consent, and that she took the resentment out on Harry.

Harry told Ginny and Hermione about Luna and Josepha, while Ron stayed silent with both hands around his pint and eyes fastened deep inside the golden beverage. It turned out that Ginny had been let into Luna’s confidence several months ago, a fact that surprised them.

“I’m good at keeping secrets, you know,” said Ginny. ”Moreover, I suspected Luna of having a crush on me last year, before she was taken from school because of the war. She admitted as much and laughed at it now. Also, I felt that something did not add up in her relationship with Neville. I observed at once that there was a change in her behaviour after the Christmas holidays. She was so alert and shining, and when I asked her about it, she was only too happy to tell. And, if you’ve noticed, a lot of her oddities are gone. She’s found her element and she’s simply radiant. I would’ve liked to meet her girl, though.”

Ron suddenly looked up from his glass with a serious expression on his face.

“Mum wrote to me a couple of weeks ago - shortly after Easter in fact. I’ve not known what to make out of it,” he said hesitantly.

“Oh, that... I think I know what you’re referring to... I didn’t realise she had written to you, too, otherwise I’d have spoken to you about it,” said Ginny, suddenly slightly embarrassed. Ron stopped himself.

“You already knew?” he said, annoyed at first. “Do you think I shouldn’t tell them?” he continued seriously, and Harry thought that it was the first time he heard his friend ask advice from his little sister without ulterior motive.

“Not at all. I think we should tell them. I cannot really say why I abstained from doing so until now. It’s probably Mum’s ambiguous feelings about it, I suppose. It shows in the letters,” said Ginny.

“You’ve corresponded with her about it, then?” said Ron. “I didn’t know what to answer.”

“Do you mind telling us what it’s about?” Hermione asked cautiously. Ginny gestured for Ron to go ahead.  He did not look at anyone.

”Well, you know George,” he said and made a pause.

“It’s your brother...” Hermione helped out, but he shot her an irritated look.

“You know the friend he brought to the Burrow after Christmas, Hercules...” Ron seemed to struggle to formulate himself. “Well... Mum writes that they... sort of ... go out together. George moving in at Hercules’ place sort of made it obvious and they told her a month ago.” Ron blushed.

“That’s nice. I’m happy for George’s sake. I thought they were suited for each other when I saw them at Christmas... as friends I thought at the time, of course, but I really think it does him good to have someone. Great,” said Harry and looked a bit worried at Ron.

“Why don’t I find it as easy to accept as you do, Harry?” he muttered darkly. “It’s none of my business, I know, but I still find it a bit... It’s confusing. I don’t begrudge George to be happy, I don’t. He has been miserable since Fred died. It’s just that I’ve never thought about him as… gay… I suppose it’s a good thing that he has moved on, though.”

“Well Mum’s mixed up, too,” said Ginny. “Going on about that it might only be a phase - you know, a reaction to Fred’s disappearance. It doesn’t matter - we should support George whole-heartedly whatever it is. It’s not like he has had any serious girl-friend before, has he? Even if Fred and he would go out sometimes - and speak of girls. Maybe he’s bisexual - that’s not uncommon, I think.”

“What’re you talking about?” Simmings looked interested as he settled down at the table next to theirs.

“Ron and Ginny’s brother’s gay,” answered Hermione. “They just found out.”

“And another friend of ours has found herself a girlfriend,” added Harry. “They seem happy together. Have you written to George, Ron?” His friend gave him a terrified look.

“No! I wouldn’t know what to say. Also, he hasn’t told me himself. He only told Mum. I’m not even sure Father knows.”

“Of course Dad knows. Mum would never be able to keep a secret like that from him,” snorted Ginny. “I wrote to George as soon as I learnt about his moving in with Hercules and congratulated him.”

“Hercules!” exclaimed Simmings. “I know a gay wizard in London called Hercules, is that him?”

“Might be,” said Ron with cautiousness, facing Simmings.

“It’s a great guy. He’s fun. And devoted,” said Simmings. “Haven’t seen him for some time, though. Does he still live at Diagon Alley?”

They started to speak of London, of George’s joke shop and Ginny going to work there and Ron looked relieved by the undramatic turn of the conversation.

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3138