Collection by harrysnapefan
Summary: Dumbledore told Harry that he wanted him to let Slughorn collect him. But Harry soon learns that being collected by Slughorn really means. Will he be able to save himself or will he succumb to the man for the greater good? And what does Severus have to do with it all? Was he too 'collected' by Slughorn and will he be able to save Harry before it's too late?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Bashing, Profanity, Rape, Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 18317 Read: 83487 Published: 13 Nov 2014 Updated: 20 Jan 2017
Story Notes:

Disclaimer:  I don't own anything from Harry Potter

 

 I'm not sure when Slugnorn left Hogwarts the first time, but in this story it was when Snape was sixteen. 

Chapter 1 by harrysnapefan

Harry was walking with his friends to Gryffindor tower after the welcoming feast. Harry was less than thrilled. Snape had just been declared the new DADA teacher, something Harry wasn't happy about. He didn't trust Snape one bit, especially when it came to the dark arts.

"I still can't believe Dumbledore gave Snape the position," Ron grumbled as they started up the Grand Staircase.

"I'm sure the headmaster has his reasons, Ron," Hermione said.

"Yeah, he's barmy. Yeah, let's make a former death eater head of the Defense Against the Dark Arts class," Ron said sarcastically.

"I can't believe it either. I thought Slughorn was going to be teaching it. Though I guess it makes sense that he teach Potions. That's what he taught the last time he was here," Harry said as they got to the seventh floor. They walked down the hall and approached the portrait of the Fat Lady. He said the password and they were all allowed entry.

"Hey, you met Slughorn. What's he like?" Ron asked.

"He's alright. Dumbledore says he's a bit of a fame seeker. He brought me along so that Slughorn would agree to come back," Harry said.

"Because of your fame?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah. I'm supposed to let Slughorn 'collect' me. I guess he has some information that could help us with Voldemort," Harry said.

Ron and Hermione flinched, as did everyone else in hearing distance. "Blimey, Harry, stop doing that," Seamus said.

"Hey, speaking of Slughorn and Snape. Did you guys see the way Snape glared at him at the feast?" Neville asked.

All three friends shook their heads.

"Yeah, Snape doesn't seem to like Slughorn much," Neville said.

Ron snorted and plopped down in one of the red chairs. "Snape doesn't like anyone."

"Several of the students laughed. "He's got a point there," Ginny said.

"He's probably just pissed that Slughorn is taking over his domain," Dean said.

'That doesn't make sense. Snape's always wanted the Defense post," Ron said.

Dean shrugged. "It was just a guess. Why else would he dislike him so much?"

"Because he's Snape. I thought we'd already established that he doesn't need a reason not to like someone," Ron said.

"We shouldn't be talking like this about our teachers. If Professor Snape has an issue with Professor Slughorn, it's none of our business," Hermione lectured.

"Who really cares? Snape's just a git. I'm going to bed. Tomorrow will probably be a long day," Harry said before making his way towards the dormitories.

 

___________

 

 

Severus was angry. No, that wasn't a good enough word for what he felt. He was absolutely livid. He'd been shell shocked when Slughorn entered the Great Hall just after he did. He of course knew that someone would have to take over his former position, but he had no idea that it would be Slughorn. Dumbledore had purposely kept the information from him.

Severus angrily made his way to Dumbledore's office and busted in without knocking. "Have you lost your mind, Old man?!"

Dumbledore looked up at his new Defense teacher. "Ah, Severus, I had a feeling I'd be getting a visit from you."

"What is wrong with you?" Severus asked angrily.

"Well, that depends on who you ask," Dumbledore said with a smile and a twinkle in his eye.

"This isn't a bloody game!" Severus said before pushing everything on Dumbledore's desk to the floor, breaking some things in the process.

Dumbledore was quiet for a few moments, but then spoke. "I'm getting a feeling of déjà vu. It wasn't too long ago that Young Harry had a similar outburst as this."

Severus recognized the diversionary tactic, but it didn't work. Not even a comparison to Harry Potter was going to deter him. Hell, not even a comparison to James Potter would. He was far too angry. "You let that man back into this school knowing what he is capable of."

"Oh, Severus. Let's not go there again," Dumbledore said.

"I would be happy not to! Just get rid of him!" Severus demanded. Slughorn needed to go. He'd tolerated a lot from Dumbledore over the years. The constant special treatment that he gave the Potter boy, the unspeakably unreasonable tasks that were asked of him, even the hiring of the werewolf, but not this. He would not stand by while Slughorn was unleashed on the student body.

"Professor Slughorn is no danger," Dumbledore insisted.

"I beg to differ," Severus retorted.

"Severus, I'd hoped that time would…"

"Would what? Get me to forgive. I forgive no one! Certainly not that!" Severus said with disgust written all over his face

"I'd hoped it'd make you see that you must have been mistaken," Dumbledore said.

Severus leaned over Dumbledore's desk and glared. "I. Was. Not. Mistaken. And if you had looked into my memories like I'd advised, you would've seen that."

"There was no need. The situation was rectified," Dumbledore said.

Severus stood up and huffed. "No, it was appeased. There is no rectifying that. I allowed you to handle it your way because I didn't want to become public. I agreed to keep quiet in exchange for you getting rid of that depraved man! You gave me your vow, just as I gave you mine! How is it you are even able to hire him back?" Dumbledore had used a special spell of his when making the oath. It was a spell that made it literally impossible to break. Which meant Severus could not speak of this with anyone else. He wouldn't be able to warn the students or their parents about what Slughorn was capable of.

"If you'll recall, Severus, I gave you my vow that he would leave the school. I never said he wouldn't come back," Dumbledore said.

Severus thought back to the day that he'd gone to Dumbledore and struck that deal. The old bastard was right. He never swore to get rid of Slughorn indefinitely. "You bastard. You used my vulnerable state to trick me."

"Not at all. I never intended to hire Horace back. I never knew he'd be needed. But he is. We need him for the upcoming war," Dumbledore said.

"And you don't care who you sacrifice to get his help?" Severus asked.

"Severus, I still believe you're mistaken, but…"

"I am not mistaken!" Severus bellowed.

"But even if you weren't, the threat to Voldemort is much greater. It must come first," Dumbledore said.

Severus was so angry he was almost vibrating from it. He couldn't believe how callous Dumbledore was being. Students were going to be destroyed by this. Severus would do whatever he could to protect the children from Slughorn, but there were too many of them. He couldn't save them all. "You're condemning the student body," he said before he began to walk away.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3139