Collection by harrysnapefan
Summary: Dumbledore told Harry that he wanted him to let Slughorn collect him. But Harry soon learns that being collected by Slughorn really means. Will he be able to save himself or will he succumb to the man for the greater good? And what does Severus have to do with it all? Was he too 'collected' by Slughorn and will he be able to save Harry before it's too late?
Categories: Healer Snape, Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dumbledore, Ginny, Hermione, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind
Genres: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Bashing, Profanity, Rape, Suicide Themes, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 18317 Read: 83498 Published: 13 Nov 2014 Updated: 20 Jan 2017
Chapter 3 by harrysnapefan

The next day, Harry and his friends were eating lunch in the Great Hall when Ginny came over to them and sat down. "I just had the strangest bloody class with Snape."

"We told you about our class," Ron said.

"Yeah, I know, but it's different than actually experiencing it. I felt like I was having some kind of weird dream," Ginny said.

"It's not that unbelievable. I personally think it needed to be said after Umbridge. Actually, muggle schools get those kinds of talks all the time. They want to make sure kids know what to do if a teacher tries to take advantage of them," Hermione said.

"It's weird because it's Snape," Ron said before taking a bite of his food.

"Yeah, since when does Snape care if we're taken advantage of?" Harry asked.

"I'm sure he cares. He may not like us, but he's still a teacher. And he explained why he did it. Dumbledore wanted him to after what happened last year with Umbridge," Hermione said.

"It seems rather stupid now. Umbridge is gone," Ron said.

"It's not stupid, Ron! It may not happen so often here, but in the muggle world, you hear things all the time about adults taking advantage of children, especially those in positions of power, like teachers. Umbridge may be gone, but she's certainly not the only one in the world capable of hurting us. Actually, aside from our third year, we've had a teacher every year that was capable of hurting us. Three of them actually did hurt Harry," Hermione said.

"She has a point there," Ginny said.

"I don't think there's any threat of that this year. Not unless it's Snape himself. He's the only one here now that hates Harry," Ron said.

"The feeling is mutual," Harry said before standing up. "I'd better go. I need to get back to the Common Room before Transfiguration. I left my book and my summer homework there."

"Okay. We'll see you in class," Hermione said.

Harry immediately headed out of the great hall and towards the Grand Staircase. He'd just made it to the first step when he heard someone call out to him.

"Harry."

Harry turned around to see Professor Slughorn coming his way. "Oh, Hello, Professor."

"I'm glad I ran into you. I wanted to complement you again on your potion yesterday," Slughorn said.

Harry blushed slightly. "Thanks, Professor."

"I'm amazed that you've gotten such mediocre grades before with the perfect potion you brewed yesterday," Slughorn said.

Harry shifted uncomfortably at the comment, knowing full well that it was not simply talent that made him do better this time. Although, it wasn't his fault that someone had written in that book. All he'd done was follow the instructions in his book. "Well, I guess I was just better able concentrate than I was in the past."

Slughorn chuckled. "Ah, yes, I've heard Professor Snape can be a bit unreasonable. Perhaps this year, you'll do much better at the subject. Your mother was pretty good at potions as well. In fact, she was second in my class."

Harry smiled. He liked hearing things about his mother. He heard things of her so rarely. Most people who knew his parents focused on his father. He wished to hear more of his mother. "Did you know her well, Professor?"

"Oh, yes. It's like I said before, she was one of my best students. Perhaps I can talk to you about her sometime," Slughorn said.

"I'd like that," Harry said.

"I could also help you a bit with potions. You have talent there. I may be able to help you harness it," Slughorn said.

Before Harry could answer, he heard Snape's voice coming from right outside the Great Hall.

"Potter, do you not have somewhere to be?" Severus asked.

Slughorn and Harry both turned to him. "Oh, Severus, we were just having a little chat. Harry is one of my brightest students so far."

Severus sent a dark glare his way. "Of course he is."

"He reminds me of you with his brewing skills," Slughorn said.

Severus let out a hiss of anger and it wasn't because of the comparison. That was the farthest thing from his mind. No, what angered him was knowing that Slughorn was starting his little games with the boy, the same games he'd started with him. There was no way in hell he was going to let that happen. He might not like Potter, but no child deserved to go through the pain he Slughorn had inflicted on him. "Potter, get to where you're going before I take points for loitering."

"Yes, sir," Harry said through gritted teeth before heading further up the stairs.

"Was that really necessary, Severus?" Slughorn asked once Harry was out of sight. "The boy was only…"

Before Slughorn could finish speaking, Severus grabbed him by the neck and slammed him against the wall, causing some nearby portraits to gasp. "You sick, old bastard! You are not going to start your perverted acts with that boy, or any boy for that matter!"

"I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, Severus. I was just talking to Harry. As I said, he reminds me a lot of you," Slughorn said.

"He is not me and you will not make him me! You will not touch him! If I find you talking to him or any other student outside of class again, I'll kill you!" Severus growled. He meant it too. He would not allow another child to get hurt. He wouldn't see a boy's life ruined by Slughorn like his had been.

"Now, Severus, can't we just bury the hatchet as muggles say?" Slughorn asked.

Severus looked at him in disgust before releasing his old on the man and angrily walking away.

 

___________

 

 

At the end of the day, Severus entered his office and poured himself a glass of firewhiskey. He'd wanted to do that right after his run-in with Slughorn, but unfortunately, he'd had to wait until he was done teaching for the day. It had been a long wait, but he was finally there.

Soon Severus heard a knock at his door. "What?" he called out irritably.

The door opened seconds later and Dumbledore entered. "Hello, Severus."

Severus scowled and sat down at his desk. Dumbledore was the last person he wanted to see. Well, actually, Slughorn was the last, but Dumbledore was a close second. "Can I help you, Headmaster?"

"Yes. You can tell me how many of the students you intend to frighten with warnings about the teachers," Dumbledore said. He had been unhappy to hear from the talk around the school that Severus had been speaking to all of his students on the subject.

Severus didn't seem surprised that the headmaster had gotten word on that, nor was he ashamed of his actions. "All of them, Headmaster. I intend to tell all of them. I haven't mentioned Slughorn or what he did. It appears you're not the only one who can play with the words in an oath."
"I'm disappointed, Severus," Dumbledore said in parental tone.

Severus took a swig of his firewhiskey. "I don't care. I did what was necessary to protect these students."

"And if one of them should write home to their parents about it?" Dumbledore asked.

"Then perhaps one of them will investigate and learn the truth before a student is harmed, like Potter for instance. I found the bastard alone with the boy earlier today," Severus said.

"Yes, well, it's hardly unusual. Students and teachers speak all the time outside of class. Besides, I want Harry to get close with Horace. It could help us with stopping Voldemort," Dumbledore said.

Severus narrowed his eyes. "What? Are you telling me you plan to encourage this? Are you stupid?! You know what he could do to the boy!"

"Is that concern, Severus?" Dumbledore asked with a twinkle of the eyes.

"Yes, it's bloody concern! You are going to destroy that boy's life! Slughorn has already made it clear that he's going to pursue the boy and now you're basically giving him to him!" Severus growled.

"Severus, Horace has information that only Harry will be able to extract. He needs to get close to him," Dumbledore said.

"And anything that might happen to him in pursuit to that is just collateral damage, right? Get the hell out of my office," Severus ordered in disgust. He would not listen to one more word from this man. In his eyes, Dumbledore was almost more twisted than Slughorn.

Dumbledore sighed and started walking back towards the door.

"Albus, if Slughorn does anything to Potter, I will tear you both a part. I don't care if you are the most power man since Merlin himself. This doesn't happen to another child," Severus said firmly.

Dumbledore turned and looked at him for a moment before continuing on his way.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3139