This Song In My Heart by EmeraldLilyGreney
Summary: Response to Strains of Melody challenge, by Abie. Harry has always loved to play the piano, and after twelve years of secret lessons from a friend, he's amazing. So, when he feels that he can't cope with his life anymore, he finds comfort in a mysterious grand piano that appeared in an empty room. Two people hear him, Luna comes to sing with him, and when Severus sees hears him, he is impressed, and also notices some very surprising things.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Luna
Snape Flavour: Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Secretive, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Out of Character, Self-harm, Suicide Themes
Prompts: Strains of Melody
Challenges: Strains of Melody
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1425 Read: 4285 Published: 24 Dec 2014 Updated: 03 Jan 2015
Story Notes:
My first response to a challenge! :)
Melodies and Revelations by EmeraldLilyGreney
Author's Notes:
So, I'm not sure if this is going to be long or not... But yeah. :D

 

Harry sighed, sitting dejectedly in the room of requirement, mirror shard in his hand.

Remembering Cedric's death, slash. Blood gushed out of the wound on his arm.

Sirius falling through the veil, slash.

Dumbledore falling, slash. More blood.

Vernon punishing him, slash.

His mother's scream, a green light.... slash. So much blood..... Looking down at his arm, he saw what he had carved into his arm.

FREAK. Harry thought that he had carved the truth.


 After a hard and long day of work, 5 year old Harry finally relaxed  under a tree in the park. Suddenly, a wonderful and melodic sound floated out of green house. Entranced, Harry walked towards the house and smiled dreamily.

Unaware that the little girl who had been playing the piano had spotted him, he sat down on the porch, mezmerized. So focused on his own thoughts, he didn't notice the melody die down.

Ruby was bounding with joy after her piano lesson! Ruby loved playing the piano, and had played it since she was only three! She had immediately ran to the piano to practice, as soon as she got back.

Then, she saw a boy around her age, with messy black hair, emerald eyes, and broken glasses sit on the porch. Curiously, Ruby stopped playing, and stepped outside to sit next to this little boy.

"Hiya! I'm Ruby," she said nervously. Harry flinched and muttered an apology. Just as he was walking away, Ruby grabbed his arm, and saw the scars that he had carved onto his arm. "No, stay. Please, I-I have scars to," Ruby said desperately as Harry jerked his arm away.

Staring at her, he whispered, "You're a freak too?"

Wide eyed, she replied, "No! We're not freaks... I got away from my dad two years ago... he hurt me. My mother says that I'm not a freak..., so you can't be either!"

Shaking his head sadly, Harry said, "No, you're not a freak, but I am."

Quickly changing the subject, Ruby remaked, "Did you like how I played the piano? If you want, I can teach you, I've been learning for the past two years!"

Harry's eyes lit up, "Really?", he asked hopefully.

"Of course!!!! I'll give you lessons!" she exclaimed.

"Shhh, nobody can know," Harry shushed her.

"Alright, secret lessons? Come back next week at this same time. My nana takes naps at this time, and mum is at work," Ruby whispered back.

"Alright..., friend," Harry said, before slipping away. Ruby basked in the joy of making her first friend, while Harry suffered for being late. 

 


_

 

Harry woke up screaming, after yet another nightmare. He had applied wards, silencing spells, and had set traps around his bed, so nobody heard him.

You see, he was a bit paranoid about his roommates finding out.

 

Looking at his watch, he saw that it was only 3:30 am.

Groaning, Harry muttered, "At least I slept for three hours this time." Without hesitation, Harry silently got dressed and cleaned himself up, before grabbing the shard of mirror, along with his map and invisibility cloak, and escaping.

Heading straight for the room of requirement, Harry was surprised to find a room that had not been there before, a white room, with only a graceful white piano and a bench in it.

Stopping, he slowly made his way into the room, stuffing his map into his pocket, and tying his cloak onto his waist. Placing his mirror shard down, Harry cautiously sat down at the piano.

Looking down at the black and white notes, he sighed happily, before preparing himself to play. As Harry played the first few notes, and really got into the song that he was playing, two people heard him.


" You came!", Ruby said, smiling. Sitting down at the piano,she started to teach him the basics. "This is C, or do. You try it," Ruby explained.

Slowly, Harry played a C. He grinned, and they continued their lesson.

After the lesson, Harry and Ruby were even more friendly with each other, and Harry was estatic.

For the next few years, they continued their lessons, and a strong bond formed between them. Even after Harry went to Hogwarts, they still practiced together during the Summer and never grew apart.



 Everybody considered Luna Lovegood loony, or crazy. But she wasn't, she just lived in a world of her own, and understood many things that others didn't.

So, Luna immediately knew that it was a piano that she had heard while she was taking an early morning walk. She also knew what song it was that Harry was playing.

walking into the white room, she spotted Harry. Smiling, she padded silently towards Harry, and sat down next to him.

Luna sang softly, "What is wrong with me."

It wasn't until Luna first started to sing, that Harry realized she had come in, and, maybe it was that Ruby had done the same before, but he didn't care.

So Luna sang on, "That I keep coming back, to this place I can't exist. This time that's clearly past. What have you done to me? That you know me so well...", and so side by side they sat, just as Harry and Ruby had, Luna singing and Harry playing the piano.

Then, a dark figure appeared at the doorway.

 


 This Summer Harry had come back from Hogwarts with more scars than ever.

"Oh Harry, what happened to you?", Ruby asked softly, as she dabbed water at the nasty bruise Vernon had given him.

"The usual," Harry muttered, pushing her hand away.

"Oh Harry. You have to let me tell somebody, to help you!", Ruby exclaimed.

Wincing as Ruby applied pressure to his arms, which he had just cut, Harry snapped, "No! You can't! You don't understand..."

"No you don't understand! You don't know what it's like, to wait every week, every month, and not know whether you'll be here or not!", Ruby interupted, frowning, she lifted his sleeve up. Gasping, she whispered, "Oh my gosh..., you..."

Harry jumped back and in his panic, yelled, "Never again Ruby, mind your own buisness!", before running away.

That night, cops, social workers, and Ruby showed up at number four, Privet Drive. Vernon, in his rage, attacked Harry, choking him.

Ruby screamed, and grabbed Vernon, and Vernon began to choke her.

"NO!!! LEAVE HER ALONE!!!", Harry screamed, attempting to grab Vernon. Then, his magic went crazy, pots and pans flew, books ripped off the shelves, and more things went flying. Vernon was thrown off Ruby, but it was too late.

All that was left was Ruby's broken form.

Then, to add insult, Albus Dumbledore appeared, obliviated everybody's memories, except Harry's and the Dursleys' memories, and made it seem like Ruby never existed.

Harry pleaded to be taken away, but Dumbledore just smiled, and said, "It's for the greater good."



 Severus Snape was out looking for trouble makers, when he heard a piano. But that was impossible to him! The only piano he'd ever seen was the one that Lily had, had. She loved to play it, though Severus just couldn't.

Then, he heard a melodious voice join in. Stalking silently to the mysterious room, Severus was shocked to see Harry and Luna together. After listening for a while, he had to admit, the level of skill with a piano Harry showed, was very impressive.

Put together with Luna's singing, it was a breathtaking sound.

The song was also very disturbing to him, Harry was the last person he'd expect to play so well, and be playing such a sad song.

Then, Harry's sleeves rolled down, and for a moment, the glamors disapeared, and Severus saw the scars.

Studying them silently, he saw the words, FREAK carved in. "What I done?", Severus muttered.

Stepping out of the shadows, determined to set things right, he said, "Miss.Lovegood, would you please return to your common room, and Mr.Potter, we need to talk."

 


After a long day of work, Harry secretly escaped into the park, and under the fig tree, he sat where he had secretly buried Ruby. Her parents had no memory of ever having Ruby, and none of her friends remembered her, so he didn't bother putting up a gravestone.

"I'm sorry Ruby, I'm sorry for everything," Harry whispered, and for the first time in twelve years, a tear slid out of his eyes. 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3155