Harry's Lucky Find by rosina
Past Featured StorySummary: For Winter Fic Fest using Jan AQ's challenge Special Stick. Harry finds and uses a wand before knowing anything about Hogwarts.
Categories: Misc Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Petunia
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Fluff, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Prompts: Special Stick
Challenges: Special Stick
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 3993 Read: 16370 Published: 05 Jan 2015 Updated: 05 Jan 2015
Chapter 4 by rosina

Harry felt as though his head might explode.

Mr Snape had told and shown him so much about wizards, witches, and magic – MAGIC! - that he was struggling to process it all. But his main strand of thought was that Uncle Vernon had been wrong all these years. Harry was not a freak. Harry was special!

He giggled as the miniature Hungarian Horntail dragon depicted on the open page of the section on magical creatures in the Junior Encyclopaedia of Magic which Mr Snape had given him tickled his finger. He scratched it gently behind the ears, making it purr with pleasure and then carefully closed the book, returning it to the magic shelf, invisible to his family, which also housed the small bowl of fruit which Mr Snape had told him would replenish when Harry ate a piece (Harry was keen to watch that happen, but hadn’t yet been sent to his cupboard without food) and the light cube which allowed him to read in bed. It wasn’t as much fun as his swishy, wishy stick, but Mr Snape was looking after that for Harry. Children were not supposed to use a wand until they were eleven – ages away – because as Mr Snape had explained, it wasn’t really safe to use a wand without the training which would come when Harry went to Hogwarts – the school where Mr Snape was a teacher – no a professor. He’d promised Harry that he could have it back then because it seemed as though his Mum’s wand had chosen Harry to be its next master. Harry trusted Mr Snape to keep it safe even though he’d only known him for a few days because already his life was so much better.

Uncle Vernon was much happier because Mr Snape had promised to take Harry for a few days each holiday, and that meant the Dursleys could go on holiday with Aunt Marge at Easter without having to find somewhere to leave Harry. Harry was happy because he was going to learn more about magic. Petunia was happy because they were happy, and Dudley was always happy as long as he got sweets and toys.

AND!! Harry’s cupboard was to become Dudley’s toy store, and Harry was to move up into the smallest bedroom! Harry was fairly sure that Mr Snape’s black wand had something to do with that, as Uncle Vernon had looked rather surprised when the suggestion came out of his mouth, and Harry had caught a glimpse of the wand poking out from Mr Snape’s sleeve. Oh, just wait until Harry could use a wand! Mr Snape was also going to take Aunt Petunia to collect the money issued for Harry’s keep, and was to send his post owl, Solomon, once a week to collect any messages so that problems could be dealt with if they arose.

Harry smiled as he ran his hand over the light cube to put it out. Solomon should be visiting Privet Drive for the first time tomorrow, and Harry was eager to try out his skills at attaching letters to the big barn owl. He already had his thank you letter to Mr Snape folded and waiting.

**

This year promised to be a good one for Harry, and all because he found his Mum’s special stick. Magic was marvellous!

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3167