All I want for Christmas by atiaahmed
Past Featured StorySummary: Lockart wipes Harry's memory. Along the way of regaining it, he gets access to a memory his magic had suppressed. Because of it, Harry is desperate not to return to the Dursleys, but Dumbledore won't listen - so Harry has to make his own escape. Come along to the bumpy ride of Harry trying to find what he wished for most in this world. Completed (11 chapters)! Severitus-ish!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Addicted!Harry, Disguised!Harry, Hospitalization, Incognito!Harry, Injured!Harry, Kidnapped, Kidnapped!Harry, New Identity!Harry, Resorting, Runaway, Sibling Addition, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Drug use, Neglect, Rape, Self-harm, Torture, Violence
Prompts: Morning Post, Artists, Gaining Harry's trust again, Potter Estate in Snape's Possession, Known Horcrux, Hidden Snapes
Challenges: Morning Post, Artists, Gaining Harry's trust again, Potter Estate in Snape's Possession, Known Horcrux, Hidden Snapes
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 30912 Read: 107902 Published: 30 Jan 2015 Updated: 15 Feb 2015
Epilogue - The Beginning of my Christmas Carol by atiaahmed

Severus frowned when one day on breakfast he received post by owl, sent in a muggle envelope. The envelope had Arabella Figg's address on it and underneath in her handwriting one simple word 'Severus'. Curiously he opened the letter and out fell a newspaper clipping.

'Julian Fowler (36) was convicted of child abuse, child pornography and attempted murder. He will be facing a life inprisonment...'

Snape didn't need to read more, he flipped the clipping over and read scribbled on it 'We didn't know. We never wanted that to happen to him'

Snape started at the two small sentences. Anger bubbled over in his chest and gut. That was all? That was all they were willing to say on the subject? What they had done had led to so much senseless suffering and torture for his son. His child was still suffering the effect and would be in years to come. And they couldn't even come up with something that included the word 'sorry'? And for that matter: What they themselves had put Harry through! Oh, they hadn't wanted him to be assaulted sexually but physically and verbally - that was totally unproblematic. Severus didn't even realize he was grinding his teeth and crumpling up the clipping in his hand. A wrinkled old hand covered his arm and he looked up at his employer.

'Severus?'

He thrust the clipping at him and stood up abruptly, leaving his plate untouched and rushing out of the hall. He didn't even know how he got into his quarters but started at the door he had unconsciously slammed shut behind him. He was breathing heavily and whipped out his wand to light a fire in the grate. It positively exploded in the grate.

A knock on the door had him stalking back and wrenching it open. Before him stood Dumbledore with a scared looking Harry beside him. His eyes darted from one to the other.

'What's wrong dad?' Harry asked, looking worried.

'Nothing Alex.' Severus ground out 'Go to your classes.'

Harry looked up at the headmaster, who regarded Severus a moment before he simply said 'He should know.'

Severus closed his eyes, took a deep breath and without opening them, said 'Julian was found out and will go to prison forever.'

It took him another moment until he was able to look at his son again. Harry had wrapped his arms around his torso and was rocking slightly, biting his lip. And in an instant all anger just evaporated. Snape stepped forward and hugged his son to himself. Dumbledore gave him a small smile and said 'I'll give you both the first lesson free. If you need more, just floo me.'

'He's never going to hurt anyone anymore.' Severus said and pulled Harry in, closing the door. Harry freed himself from the embrace and asked 'Why are you angry then?'

Snape looked at him as if measuring if he could take it 'Your relatives sent me the clipping. I was angry at them.'

'Oh.' Harry said and then shrugged 'They don't matter to me anymore.'

'It matters to me. If I had a say, I would...'

'I know, dad.' Harry said, smiling at him. 'It's okay. I hardly ever think about them anymore.'

'You are very strong, Alex.'

The look on his son's face reflected how much this simple statement meant to him 'Not really. But I have you now.'

They boy shrugged and sat down, but this admition was so profound, it stayed with Severus for the rest of the day.


'Albus, they need to be punished.'

'Good afternoon, Severus, take a seat.' Dumbledore seemed unfazed and unsurprised by the order from his youngest teacher. Snape obeyed the man but kept his challenging gaze on him 'The Wizengamot does, naturally, not punish Muggles. If you want to punish them, you will have to put Harry through their legal system, making him relive every moment of abuse and neglect that he already suffered. Harry is in a safe place now, he is healing. Do you think this is the best for him?'

Snape growled 'Is there no other way?'

'I know you want justice for Harry, I know you want to see them punished, Severus.' Dumbledore said seriously 'As do I. But there is no legal way of doing it.'

'This is incredible! They can just get away with all the suffering they caused and Harry will have to live with it for the rest of his life. I'm here for him now, but what good does it if I cannot fight for him?'

'It does a world of good, Severus. Even if the Dursleys never get punished for their crimes, he has you now. That is all he needed, all he wanted. They are of no consequence for him now.'

Severus crossed his arms, unwilling to let his anger and thirst for revenge go.

'We are in the middle of a war right now, Severus. I'm sorry, but there is no way I can assist you with this.'

Severus looked up at Dumbledore to let out a bit of his anger on him but stopped short at the look he was getting. Dumbledore seemed amused, his eyes were twinkling, his mouth twitching.

And then it hit him. I can not assist you. There is no legal way.

But there were a whole range of illegal ways and for them he did not need Dumbledore's assistance. Severus smiled as well, an ugly, scheming smile

'Very well, headmaster. Thank you for your time.'


When Alex entered the Great Hall the next week a certain mood seemed to be lying over it. Alex recognized it immediately. The way everybody was subdued and how they were bent over newspapers and whispering to themselves - there had to have been another attack on a Muggle. His stomach dropped at the thought. That Voldemort was still out there and the ministry fighting relentlessly against him - there was scarcely any week that they did not feel the war reaching out for Hogwarts. Curiously he saw Hermione and Ron sitting together, reading the paper with a dismayed expression. It reminded him so much of their days together as Harry, Ron and Hermione, his feet automatically pulled him forward to the Gryffindor table.

'What is it?' He whispered, leaning down between them and reading the headline. Ron shot him a bewildered, annoyed look, but Hermione offered the paper.

'Muggle Family attacked in Surrey!'

Harry felt his heart thumping loudly at the sentence and gripped the paper 'Surrey?' he whispered, shocked.

'The family living at Privet Drive 4 were the last living relatives of the late Harry Potter, which may be the reason they were targeted. Both parents were found poisoned in their home, the son locked in his room.'

Alex gulped and Hermione said 'Harry hated them but I don't think he would've wanted this...'

'No.' Harry whispered and read on

'The Muggle couple was taken to St Mungos for further treatment. Healers say they will have to rely on potions for the rest of their lives. Their son was sent to live with his Aunt.'

'They survived!' Harry exclaimed and looked up at the head table, were his father was casually flipping through the paper, drinking coffee.

'I say they deserved it!' Ron said heatedly, but in a low voice 'They way they treated Harry! They deserve every second of torture.'

Alex put the paper down on the table and softly said 'No one deserves torture, I don't think Harry would've agreed with that. But he did tell me a little about his relatives and they... yeah, I get why you say that.'

Ron gave him a doubtful look, clearly not agreeing with him. But Hermione smiled and nodded at him.


When Harry entered the Common Room one afternoon, he spotted Tracey and Teddy together. He walked up to them and said 'Hey, you two weren't at the study group, I thought...'

He stopped short, when Teddy gave him a meaningful look and Harry came around the sofa. He had an arm wrapped around her shoulders and she was crying, a letter lying in her lap.

Harry went to his knees in front of her and she looked up. Suddenly her dark eyes seemed to be a mirror of his own. They both had their father's eyes.

'You knew?'

Harry nodded miserably 'Dad told me the day he learned. I don't think he planned it but it just slipped out. Think he was in shock.'

Tracey pursed her lips 'How could she not tell me? If they weren't divorcing, would she have never told me?'

'She wrote it in a letter?' Harry asked, pointing at it, Tracey nodded

'After Professor Snape told me... I didn't believe him and wrote her.'

Teddy frowned 'That's really mean! What does it mean, she wouldn't have told you anyway if you hadn't known already?'

Tracey shrugged, blowing her nose 'She told him, I guess she knew he would tell me soon.'

'That's really tough.' Harry said, putting his hands on her knees 'But it'll be okay. You can come to us whenever you like.'

Tracey gave a wavering smile 'That's really sweet of you, Alex. Your father said the same thing.'

Harry beamed at her. He was going to have a sister. A real sibling.


When Harry woke up at Christmas morning a wide smile split his face and he grinned goofily at the ceiling. He stretched and then looped his arms behind his head, dreaming into space. He was safe, he was home.

It seemed like a lifetime ago that he had sat in a dingy pub in Knockturn Alley and written his Divination essay about what he wished for Christmas. The same wish still held true and Harry chuckled to himself as he wondered if he was a true Seer and dreaming had made it come true. Trelawney would have a stroke just thinking about it.

A knock at his door startled Harry out of his reverie and he looked to see his father leaning on the frame.

'What are you grinning about?' he asked, casually strolling to him and plopped uncharacteristically onto his bed. Harry sat up, still grinning.

'About you!' he said cheekily and Severus raised an eyebrow

'Careful young man, I have it on good authority that your Christmas presents stand and fall at my mercy.'

Harry tilted his head and gave his father fake puppy dog eyes 'You wouldn't!'

Severus actually laughed at his expression and ruffled his hair 'No, I wouldn't.'

Out on a whim, Harry scooted forward and enveloped his father in a hug 'Merry Christmas, Dad.'

Severus arms came around him and squeezed him a little 'Merry, Christmas Harry.'

'Alex.' Hary corrected his father, letting go.

'Harry, for today.' Severus said softly and stood up 'Come, presents are waiting.'


It didn't take Harry long to go through all his presents, as there weren't really that many people to give him any. His little clique had gathered a few presents and Tracey had added a little letter to hers. She explained that Severus had told her about their relationship but as her parents' divorce was going on, she needed time on her own to cope with everything. She would stay with her mother in any case but would really love to spend a bit of the summer holidays with him and Severus, if he liked.

His father had given him his own set of crayons and brushes, which was akin to an open invitation to draw with his father. Harry smiled softly at them as Severus extended another wrapped package. From the dimensions alone he could tell it was a small framed picture. Harry carefully opened the wrapping and revealed a little piece of art. There was a younger Severus Snape – somewhat idealized – sitting in a rocking chair with a baby boy (if the blue blanket was any indication) in his arms. The man was softly kissing the child's forehead and beneath it, Severus had signed

'To my beloved son,

Alexander Henry Snape

Dad'

Harry's smile widened as he saw that Severus had used the 'y' in 'Henry' to make a little flourish that looked like he had underlined the middle name. It was a minor detail but it pleased Harry immensely, that his father would take his emotions about having to change his name into account like this. Harry looked up smiling.

'Thank you'

'It was nothing' Severus said, seemingly embarrassed 'It just came to me and... well, I'm not talented at drawing people, especially expressions up close-'

He cut his sentence, when Harry reached out and took his hand.

'No, dad.' Harry gave a wide wave of his other hand, indicating the rooms around them 'Thanks for all this. Thanks for accommodating me, not only into your home but your life. You made space for me. But not only that. You were there for me, you gave me all I needed and sacrificed your time, energy, sleep...'

'Harry, any parent would...' Severus said, feeling uncomfortable for receiving gratitude over things that should be perfectly natural and a given.

'But no one did.' Harry emphasized 'That's the problem with orphans. Its not that they can't forget they don't have parents. It's that everyone around them keeps forgetting it. They take their own parents for granted and forget what we miss all our lives, every day.' Harry gulped 'All I wished for Christmas was a parent, a home. You gave me that. I love you and thank you.'

Severus smile wavered a little, but he squeezed the hand back and tried to lighten the mood 'Isn't that my line? All I wish for Christmas is you?'

But really, it was Harry's laughter that made for the brightest Christmas present that day.

The End.
End Notes:
Puh! Written in about a month, finished now: What did you guys think? I deliberately left out any mention of the war and Voldemort - that would've gone a little too deep in a direction I didn't want to take in this story. Please leave me a last review and feel free to check out my other stories. I have a couple in English, others in German.

And of course it would be SO cool if one of you tried out one of the challenges, please tell me, I'd love to read it!

And a little poll: Do you think I should mix and match challenges like that again? Is there any challenge you would like me to do?

I also wrote a book and would be delighted if you went and took a look at it, you can find it on Amazon: The birds and the bees - Halal Edition


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3168