All I want for Christmas by atiaahmed
Past Featured StorySummary: Lockart wipes Harry's memory. Along the way of regaining it, he gets access to a memory his magic had suppressed. Because of it, Harry is desperate not to return to the Dursleys, but Dumbledore won't listen - so Harry has to make his own escape. Come along to the bumpy ride of Harry trying to find what he wished for most in this world. Completed (11 chapters)! Severitus-ish!
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Addicted!Harry, Disguised!Harry, Hospitalization, Incognito!Harry, Injured!Harry, Kidnapped, Kidnapped!Harry, New Identity!Harry, Resorting, Runaway, Sibling Addition, Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Drug use, Neglect, Rape, Self-harm, Torture, Violence
Prompts: Morning Post, Artists, Gaining Harry's trust again, Potter Estate in Snape's Possession, Known Horcrux, Hidden Snapes
Challenges: Morning Post, Artists, Gaining Harry's trust again, Potter Estate in Snape's Possession, Known Horcrux, Hidden Snapes
Series: None
Chapters: 11 Completed: Yes Word count: 30912 Read: 107912 Published: 30 Jan 2015 Updated: 15 Feb 2015
Chapter Nine – Losing Harry Again by atiaahmed

Harry had not expected it to hurt this much, when he had to give up his invisibility cloak, because of course that had been James Potter's as well. It felt like someone had ripped something from his heart, for this was the first and only thing he had of the man, who had been his father for a year. A man who had died saving him. A man he had been proud to be compared to.

Not that Severus was so bad. No, really, Severus was great. He had given him his own room full of brand new stuff, his school supplies and made sure Harry ate all three meals with him in the Great Hall. More than that, he had arranged for a little gallery for the both of them down in the dungeons, where they could both paint in peace and each other's company. Harry enjoyed to spend time with his father and he had gotten to know a peaceful, gentle side to him. The man did not tuck him in, but he came to his room to say good-night every evening without fail. He did not cuddle him, but made sure he didn't mope alone in his room. He was not very vocal or expressive with his affection, but he showed in small gestures that he cared about Harry. No, indeed, he wasn't bad at all.

One of those occasions, when he showed how much he cared, was as the day Harry Potter died. As the ghoul was taking his last breaths, the Weasleys, Hermione and the two remaining Marauders were summoned. Of course, Sirius and Remus knew that it was only an imitation of the real boy, but the utter sadness and desperation on Sirius' face as he saw the James look-a-like suffer was real. Snape had brought Alex on his request, stating that the two boys had befriended each other while they were the only teens in the castle. They kept to the background as the Weasleys gathered around the bed.

Ron and Hermione sat side by side and stared dismayed at the chalky face of their friend, Hermione gripping his hand. The other white, bloodless hand was held gently by Molly Weasley, who was already crying, occasionally raising it to kiss it. Arthur stood behind her, his hands on her shoulder, trying to comfort her by his presence alone. But behind his glasses, his eyes were swimming in tears as well. Fred and George stood silently behind Hermione and Ron, looking like silent guardians, for once in their life they were completely serious. Percy was standing slightly to the side of his parents, frowning and looking worriedly between his youngest brother and the dying boy.

Albus Dumbledore stood at the end of the bed, flanked by Sirius and Remus, looking on with complete honest sadness and regret.

'No, please Harry.' Molly sobbed 'You can't stop fighting, sweety. We are here, we want you here with us. Please Harry, not you too...'

Harry flinched, when he heard those words. Not you too. Like Ginny. Hands descended on his shoulders and squeezed in reassurance. He raised one of his own hands, covering one of his father's and leaning his head on it. His eyes filled with tears as well, as Molly collapsed beside the frail body on the bed and sobbed heart-wrenchingly.

'Mum!', Percy said, coming to her side and rubbing her back like his father was 'Shh, it's okay mum, let him go. It's better...'

Harry couldn't take it any longer, the air felt stifling, like it was choking him. He turned and ran from the room, leaving the sobs and the gasping ghoul and Snape saying 'His mother died recently... forgive him.'

Out by the lake he took a few deep breaths, rubbing at his eyes. Stupid. He was so stupid! He knew, it was only a ghoul, a lifeless, soulless, emotionless piece of flesh. It could not die, because it never lived.

'Hey! You okay, kid?'

Harry turned around and saw the twins approaching. He shrugged, pressing his lips together.

'Your father is searching for you.' One of them said 'We told him, we'd help. But really, we wanted to get out as much as you.'

'Yeah, who wants to watch Percy play the good son?' the other twin said, then flinched as if he had tasted something bitter. Harry shrugged.

'I... as he said... my mum died a few weeks ago and I was in the room then as well. And I... got to know Harry, you know. A little.'

Fred and George nodded 'He was a good kid, Harry.'

'Yeah, superb flyer, made an awesome seeker. And he was always kind.'

'He laughed at our jokes.'

They started returning to the castle, Alex in their middle 'But then, everybody does.'

In the Entrance Hall they met Severus, who thanked his students for finding Alex and then led him down to their quarters. Once there, he pointed at the sofa and said 'Sit'

He then requested tea and sat down beside him, wrapping one arm around his shoulders. He pressed Harry to his side and stared silently into the fire. Harry's eyes burned and he hid his face in Severus' shoulder, willing himself not to cry.

'Its stupid, no one really died...' he mumbled, still leaning into the embrace.

'Someone did.' Snape disagreed 'Harry Potter died.'

Alex bit on his lip to stop it from trembling but couldn't stop a sniffle from escaping. Snape leisurely stroked Alex' hair, playing with the black strands of hair, whenever he pulled his hand away from his son's head. Alex relaxed marginally.

'But I have gained a son, you have gained a father. Is that not worth anything?'

Alex blinked up through his lashes, no glasses between him and the outside world any longer. His father glanced down at him seriously and Harry answered 'It's worth everything.'

The smile he received seemed to be worth all the hurt he felt about losing Harry.


Sooner than expected the newspaper announced the death of the Boy-Who-Had-Lived after having been kidnapped and tortured by Voldemort. Outrage rippled through the Wizarding Society at the death of an innocent thirteen year old. People started pulling their children out of school.

At the start of term feast in September the headmaster waited for the firsties to be sorted, before he stood up and said

'One new student still needs to be sorted into a house. Alexander Snape is Professor Snape's son and has recently mourned the loss of his dear mother. As he will now be staying with his father, he will now attend Hogwarts as well. Of course, as you all know, he needs to be sorted.'

Dumbledore waved at Harry, who stood up from his place at the end of the table beside his father and walked up to the three legged chair. McGonagall gave him the Sorting Hat and he put it on.

'Ah! Harry Potter again, or no, now its Alexander Snape. Where shall I put you, what do you think?'

'Well, I don't know, you are the hat.' Alex said 'Where do I fit?'

'I stand by my earlier decision; you will do well in SLYTHERIN!'

Alex took the hat off to mild applause from Slytherin table and went down there. Nobody seemed surprised that their Head of House's son would be in Slytherin.

Alex glanced at the Gryffindor table. Hermione had red eyes and stared at the table for most of the time. All the Weasley boys looked rather ill, their complexion white, shadows under their eyes.

'Now that the Sorting is complete. I'd like to address a certain matter. The war has cost us another innocent soul, as you all know. Harry Potter, your classmate, lost his life due to the after effects of the torture inflicted on him by Voldemort' a shiver went through the masses 'Many of your fellow students have decided to be home schooled, while the war is going on. I am happy to see as many of you here as there are.

The safety of this school is guaranteed to you as long as you keep it safe. Forces from beyond these walls are beckoning you, they are making promises and giving you sweet, false dreams. But if you succumb to them you will endanger all of your fellow students, your friends and an age old stronghold of education and safety.

But Hogwarts is more than that, Hogwarts is your home.

I will not tell you not to join his forces. That is your decision alone. But I will ask you to protect these ancient halls and the houses that have provided security and brotherhood, family for generations. Thank you.'

The Welcoming Feast started and the sombre mood kept the noise in the hall low. After that speech no one was in a jolly, chatty mood.


Alex soon learned how his new house was different from his old house. Instead of dormitories, students had their own small rooms. Prefects had duty to make a bed check for the lower forms and even though students were encouraged to be self-sufficient and independent, prefects regularly sat down with them and offered help. Alex saw that Slytherin usually didn't like to ask for help themselves and this way they would get the help they didn't dare ask for. Alex was immediately instructed on one thing: house unity. You can bang your heads while in Slytherin house, but outside, you stand united. Alex realized that Theodore Nott and Blaise Zabini didn't care much for Draco Malfoy and his two cronies. All other third year students in Slytherin – very few left – were to decide which group to take. Even though Alex hated the sight of Draco Malfoy, he wouldn't decide.

He did sit more with the other group, but he didn't antagonize Draco and his bullying git friends. He didn't see any sense in that. From all other third years, he liked Teddy Nott best. The tall, dark haired boy was quiet and solitary, not taking any sides or ridiculing anyone. Alex did get the sense that he looked down on people for their blood status, but he didn't act on his prejudice as Draco did.

Classes seemed so very different. The loss of Harry Potter still hung over all their heads, Hagrid seemed very silent and withdrawn, Hermione and Ron didn't talk much. Ron kept to his brothers mostly or sat with the boys in his house. Hermione, who had never gotten along with Parvati and Lavender, spent a lot of time in the library or with Hagrid.

Once as they were packing up from Care of Magical creatures, she stayed back to help Hagrid while the others left. Alex returned to her side and silently began stacking crates with her. She gave him a little smile and Hagrid grunted his thanks. Afterwards they walked up to the castle together.

'You are a strange Slytherin.' she said to him 'You are not mean to anyone.'

'I don't think it's very cunning to alienate potential allies.' He smiled charmingly at her and she gave him a smile back 'And you are very clever.'

'Thank you.' she simply said and after a while added 'I wanted to ask you... You spent the last time with Harry... Did he say something, about us?'

Alex knew immediately she was talking about Ron and her and his heart felt heavy 'Yeah, he constantly talked about you and Ronald Weasley. He really cared for both of you, it was like you were his family.'

Hermione bit her lip, her eyes filling with tears and turned away, but he caught her arm.

'Err...' he had wanted to ask her to spend time with him, because he had seen that she didn't have anyone else, but he changed course mid-thought 'I am still very new to all this and it's a great adjustment. I would be very glad if you helped me out a bit. You know, a study group?'

Hermione smiled at him 'Are you already asking in favours?'

He laughed at that 'I'm not an idiot, maybe I can help you out as well. You can ask other people to come too.'

'Oh, Neville Longbottom, he's in my house, he likes to study with me. Is that okay?'

'You are the boss' Alex said lightly and she nodded before she turned to leave. Alex was glad to see that she didn't slump her shoulders, when she left.

Their study group built itself nicely over the next few weeks. First it was only Neville, Alex and Hermione. But with a little time others started to join in and their group expanded to Luna, Hannah and Tracey Davis. Tracey, being a Slytherin as well, brought along Theodore, who seemed to have a soft spot for her. Their conversations after studying often circled around the two Gryffindors that had died recently. Luna had known Ginny and everyone of course knew Harry. Alex saw that their conversations did a lot of good, even if they hurt him deeply. It was hard to see how much his friends missed him, even Neville. It made him write in his journal, page after page, every night. Slowly their group of study buddies was becoming a group of friends...

The End.
End Notes:
This Chapter deals with the challenge 'Rumors of my Death' and 'You're my head of house!'. You will find the description of the challenge following, please be careful as there could be Spoilers for the rest of the story!

Rumors of My Death by Dream Painter
Summary: One of the characters died. In fact, many are still mourning this person's loss. But what happens when the one who'd so recently been buried returns, not as a ghost, but flesh and blood? Had they really died, or was it some kind of mistake? Maybe it had been imagined, or a vision, perhaps? Maybe, only one person 'remembers' that this character should be dead.
Bonus if:
- The person who died is Harry or Snape
- You include the funeral at the beginning of the story
- The story is multiple chapters

You're my head of house! by crotia
Summary: Snape becomes Harry's head of house, either of Gryffindor or it can be a new house if the four house system is annulled and replaced. This must take place any time after first year (not at the original sorting). Snape needs to be a strict, parental, and responsible head of house who really looks after his charges. He must help Harry especially some way. Harry could for example be: raped, abused, depressed, cutting himself, suicidal etc.

Chapter Ten – Defender against the Dark Arts!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3168