Unexpected Truce by mandancie
Summary: Harry finds help in the most unlikely of places. Severus mentors Harry story. It begins the summer after the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Please take the time to read and review. :)
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Evil!Albus
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Out of Character, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 68 Completed: No Word count: 164150 Read: 283285 Published: 01 Feb 2015 Updated: 21 Jun 2017
Chapter 50: Blood, Sweat and Tears by mandancie

Chapter 50

Albus was sitting behind his desk looking through his paperwork, when there was a knock on the door.

"Come in."

Dolores walked into the office and closed the door.

"Headmaster."

Albus lifted his head and gave the woman a cool gaze.

"How can I help you, Professor?" Albus asked, sitting back in his chair.

Dolores sat down across from Albus without being invited.

"I've come to speak to you about changes that are needed in this school."

"I beg your pardon."

"Since I have been at this school, I have noticed some peculiar activities and free reign going on in this school."

"I'm sorry," Albus sat forward in his chair, his hands folded in front of him. "I'm not understanding what you are getting at."

"Harry Potter."

Albus raised an eyebrow.

"What about Harry Potter?"

"He thinks that he can get away with whatever he wishes."

"Forgive me, Professor," Albus said, holding up his hand. "Has Harry done something that has made you believe this?"

"He has constantly overstepped his bounds," Dolores said, sternly. "He needs to be disciplined."

"What has he done?" Albus asked again.

"Just know that I will be taking steps to ensure that Mr. Potter learns his place."

Before Albus could respond to that statement, Dolores got up and walked out of the office. He didn't know how to take what just happened, but didn't think anything could really come from it.

_0000_0000_0000_0000_000

Harry stayed on his bed the entire afternoon. He had long since stopped crying. His face itched from the dried tears that were still on his cheeks, but he didn't care. He rolled over and looked at the clock and saw that there were ten minutes left of class and twenty minutes before he was due in detention. Figuring he might as well get ready for whatever the Toad had in store for him, Harry got up and headed to the bathroom, but not before giving his bear a final squeeze and taking in the deep smell of the bear that always seemed to calm him down. After washing his face, getting rid of any signs that he had been crying, Harry made his way to the Defense classroom. He figured it would probably be better if he were early rather than late.

Arriving in the classroom five minutes early, Harry was surprised and secretly happy that he didn't run into any other students on his way to his detention. He knew if he ran into Ron or Hermione, or even Neville, he would have to explain where he was, and he really didn't want to talk about it. Not now.

Heading to the back of the room where the Toad's office was, Harry knocked on the door and waited. It seemed like forever before she even granted him permission to enter. When he finally got in and sat down, Harry looked at the clock over on the mantel and saw that he was now five minutes late.

"I see you can't even have the decency to arrive for your detention on time," Dolores sneered.

Harry said nothing. His heart dropped to his stomach at the accusation. He knew he had arrived on time, early even and she wouldn't let him enter. Now he was being accused of coming late. He couldn't win.

"I promise you, Mr. Potter," Dolores sneered. "You will learn that you are not in control. I will not allow you to manipulate me as you've done the other teachers."

Harry didn't respond. He kept his head lowered.

"You will be writing lines," Dolores said, walking over to where Harry was sitting. "And since you seem to not want to follow the rules that are governed by the Ministry then you will sit here until you learn that YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT!"

It took everything in Harry not to cringe at her yelling the last part, but he did jump a little when the quill was slammed onto the desk he was sitting behind. He looked at the quill and felt his heart begin to race. After using that quill before, he knew what it would do, and the last thing he wanted to do was to have to use that quill.

"Please, Professor," Harry's voice was soft. "I have my own quill."
"THIS IS NOT A DEBATE, POTTER!" Dolores took a deep breath and when she released it her face had a much more calm appearance. "Are you telling me that after everything that has happened you are still trying to show defiance?"

Harry's breath caught in his throat. Without another word, Harry reached for the dreaded quill.

"You will write, 'I will not show defiance, I will always obey my Professors, and know that I am not the center of the Universe.'"

Harry couldn't believe how long the sentence was that he had to write. Gathering up all his courage, Harry looked up at his Professor.

"How many times?"

Dolores tilted her head, looking at the boy in the chair.

"As many times as it takes for the message to sink in. We'll see how you are after a few hundred times."

A few hundred?! The last time he used that quill he only had to write twenty lines. Now he was expected to write a few hundred. Harry tried to keep his hurt feelings off of his face. Once he got the a roll of parchment out of his bag, Dolores pulled out his wand and tapped it on the parchment. The dictated sentence that he was supposed to write appeared at the top of the parchment.

This was going to be a long detention, Harry thought and began his lines.

_0000_0000_0000

Severus woke up and for the first time in a very long time he actually was happy. He had something to look forward to. The last time he had ever felt like this was when Minerva told him that she would adopt him. The days leading up to the adoption were nerve wrecking but when it finally happened it was the best day of his life. Now, he was surprisingly excited about Harry coming down after dinner and spending the night without worry of anyone becoming suspicious.

Severus' classes today were double periods. The first half of the day, before lunch, were fifth year Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, and after lunch were the fifth year Gryffindor and Slytherin.

The first half of the day went surprisingly smoothly. When it came to the practical portion of the class, there weren't huge disasters but nothing that would dampen Severus' current mood. After the students left for lunch, Severus gathered a few things taking them into his office. He decided he needed to see Harry. For some reason, the desire to see the child that weaseled into his heart grew as it got closer towards lunch time. And for the first time since the new term, Severus went to the Great Hall for lunch. When he got to the head table he noted that neither Gryffindor or Slytherin fifth years had come in, so deciding to fix his plate, Severus began eating.

Derek sat next to Severus and also filled his plate.

"Severus," Derek said by way of greeting.

Severus just nodded in return. His eyes kept going back to the doors leading to the hallway.

"Everything alright, Severus?" Derek asked.

"Of course," Severus answered. "Why do you ask?"

"No reason," Derek shrugged. "You just seem distracted."

Severus was about to respond to that remark, when the doors opened and more students came in for lunch. After everyone came in, Severus noticed that a certain messy-haired child did not come. Seeing Ms. Granger and Mr. Weasley and not Harry worried Severus.

Minerva, who was sitting on the other side of Severus, noticed the worried look on her son's face and leaned over closer to her son.

"Stop worrying," Minerva whispered. "I'm sure he's doing something. He'll be in class."

Severus looked at his mother. She had a small smile on her face as she continued to eat her lunch.

Severus considered his mother's words and decided that she was probably right, so he quickly finished his lunch an excused himself from the table.

Potions started on time but Severus' mood wasn't as light as it was that morning. A certain messy-haired child was not in his usual seat. Occluding the hurt and worry Severus was feeling, he set out to start his lesson. The afternoon class seemed to go just as the morning's class. Surprisingly, Neville didn't melt his cauldron like he usually did, but Severus wasn't thinking on that.

When the final bell chimed at the end, everyone packed up their items.

"Ms. Granger," Severus called from the front of the class. "Please stay behind." Hermione froze from packing, looking up at the Professor. "You too, Mr. Weasley."

Ron and Hermione looked at each other while the other students filed out of the room. Once the room was deserted, except for Hermione, Ron and Professor Snape, Severus sat down behind his desk.

"When was the last time you seen Mr. Potter?" Severus' voice was calm. Completely different to how he was feeling.

Ron and Hermione looked at each other.

"If there is something I should know," Severus said, "please tell me."

Both students looked at their Potions professor with a little shock. Never had either of them heard the word 'please' come from the dour man.

"Sir."

"Mr. Weasley."

"Professor Umbridge held him after class. We haven't seen him since."

"Well," Severus sighed. "When you do see him, tell him to come straight to me, immediately."

"But," Hermione said, "he has detention."

"How on earth could he receive detention if he was only in one class?"

"Well …," Hermione began.

"Is there something I should know?" Severus' voice became sterner.

Ron looked at his Potions Professor. He was always wary of the newfound relationship between his best mate and the Dungeon bat. But after what he has witnessed these past couple of weeks, Harry's happiness, there had to be something that brought that smile on his friend's face.

"You will protect him?" Ron asked.

There was almost a defiance in his tone. Hermione looked at Ron and elbowed his side for the remark, but Severus looked at the boy standing before him. One could argue that Ronald Weasley was being disrespectful with his question, but Severus didn't see it that way. Severus saw the plea behind the question. Narrowing his eyes, he sat back in his chair.

"Always, Mr. Weasley."

Ron studied Snape for a moment as if debating whether to say anything or not. Then he remembered all those nights he woke up to his friend crying and not knowing what was wrong. Again, Ron squared his shoulders, looked Snape in the eye, and began telling him everything he knew. All of what he was worried about. The unfairness that Umbridge had shown Harry. How even when Harry tried to conform to what was required, he still got in trouble. Even though this was only his second detention with Umbridge, it seemed like he would always get in trouble in every class.

Severus sat back and listened to everything Ron said. Hermione would put a few thoughts into the telling, but mostly Ron did all the talking.

"He's also been having nightmares," Ron said.

That bit of information stunned Severus. Nightmares. Had that Toad-face caused his child to have nightmares? When no more information was forthcoming, Severus said, "Thank you for speaking with me. I'm sure you two are eager to get to dinner."

Hermione and Ron gathered their things and headed for the door. Before leaving, Hermione turned and said, "If we see Harry, we'll tell them that you want to see him."

"You do that," Severus said, and he was left alone.

To say that Severus Snape was angry was an understatement. He was well past angry and was truly livid. How dare that Pink monstrosity terrorize his child? He knew he was going to get to the bottom of this. Today was supposed to be a special day, and that would-be Professor was trying to ruin it.

Severus got up and walked out of the classroom into his chambers, absentmindedly rubbing his left wrist from a mild ache that seemed to be coming on. He was so deep in thought he didn't see his mother, the mutt, or the Healer until he was halfway to the back hallway. A whine came from Snuffles. Severus stopped and glared at the dog. Sirius transformed and looked at the Potions Master.

"Is everything alright, Severus?" Minerva asked.

"It will be when that Toad is out of this school," Severus growled.

"What has happened now?" Minerva sighed. The last thing she wanted to talk about was Umbridge. Coming down to her son's chambers for tea was to be a relaxing time, not a time for tempers to be shown.

"Severus, please sit down," Minerva said.

"No," Severus said, shaking his head. "I need …"

Severus gripped his left wrist as the mild ache in the beginning seemed to be getting more and more intense.

Fearing the worst, Minerva got up and went to her son's side. Derek a few steps behind her.

"Severus," Minerva said, quietly. "Severus, what's wrong? What has happened?"

Severus couldn't answer. It felt like someone was trying to fillet his arm while trying to slice cuts in them.

"Severus," Minerva cupped Severus' cheek. "Is it?"

Severus knew what she was asking and shook his head.

"No, that's not that," Severus said through clenched teeth.

Without warning, Severus rushed out of his chambers and down the corridor.

_0000_0000_0000_000

"I think you now know that I will not stand for any defiance from you."

"Yes, ma'am," Harry's voice was shaky.

Harry looked pale. This was the longest Umbridge has ever held him. One hundred and fifty lines. All he wanted to do was go back to his dorm and lay down and curl up with his bear. He definitely didn't want to run into Snape. It was bad enough trying to keep the detention away from him, but the way he was feeling and not to mention how his hand look, he knew he would not be able to keep this from the man much longer.

"You're dismissed," she said, bringing Harry out of his musing.

"Good night, Professor," Harry murmured, packing up his things and walking out of the office.

A gratified smirk gleamed on Dolores' face at the way Potter was behaving now. She knew that with some strict discipline even Potter would conform. Feeling very proud of herself, once Potter left, Dolores headed towards her sleeping chambers and turned in for the night. Little did she know that this would be the last night that she would feel this way.

Harry slowly walked towards the moving staircase. Once he got to the bottom steps, he looked up and a wave of dizziness flushed throughout his body. He didn't think he could even make the trek up the stairs to even get into bed. For the first time, he wished he could go to his da, but he just wouldn't be able to bear the guilt he knew he would feel.

Harry tried to steady his breathing and the pounding in his ears as he gripped the railing making his first step. Praying and hoping that the stairs didn't move, he didn't think he could withstand that kind of movement right now, began his trek up to the seventh floor. He made it up the first flight of stairs, but it was not easy. Sweat was now pouring down his face. His breathing was erratic. Black dots were swimming in his vision.

If this was what happened on the first flight, he knew he wouldn't make it the rest of the way, Harry thought.

Taking a deep breath and steeling his nerves, Harry finally came to a decision that he needed his da. He wanted his da. He couldn't keep this any longer and didn't want to any more. He wanted his professor to make it better. Bracing himself to turn around and making his way down to the dungeons to get his Professor, he wasn't expecting to see his da once he turned around.

_000_000_000_000

Walking towards the moving staircase, Severus wanted to find his child. What he wasn't expecting was to find said child walking, no, staggering up the stairs. Severus watched in horror as Harry tried to make his way up the stairs. Taking two steps at a time, Severus caught up with his child. Now, standing two steps behind his child, he felt the last thing he wanted to do was to startled the poor child.

When Harry turned around, Severus was able to get a good look at what was wrong with the child. Harry was pale and clammy. His skin had an ashen tone to it. His left hand, that dangled to his side, looked redden and swollen. His messy hair was matted to his forehead from him sweating. The look of fear flashed across his face before he recognized who was behind him.

"Da," Harry slurred. A small smile spread across his lips before he lost consciousness and his eyes rolled to the back of his head and collapsed.

Severus took the last two steps with speed and was at the boy's side instantly. Severus then cast a feather-weight charm on the boy and then a disillusionment charm on the both of them. Severus picked up Harry to his chest. One arm wrapped around the boy's shoulders and the other under his knees. Severus knew he was closer to the infirmary, but he knew for him to get a good look and not be bothered at what was wrong with Harry, he needed to go to his chambers. Besides the fact that the Healer was already in his chambers in the dungeons. So, Severus turned and made the trek down to the dungeons.

When Harry turned around, even though he wanted his Professor, he wasn't expecting him to be standing right behind him. The pretense of keeping what happened during his detentions, Harry was about to explain what was going on when his vision completely blurred and all went black. The next thing Harry noticed was the calming smell potions around him. He wanted to smile, but it seemed like his mouth didn't want to cooperate. He could feel himself moving from the slight breeze on the back of his neck, but he knew he wasn't walking.

He was with his da, Harry thought. And he knew that his da would fix everything. Harry felt the arms holding him tightened. This time, he didn't care about anything. All that mattered was that he was with his da and he knew that his da was going to take care of him.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3174