Unexpected Truce by mandancie
Summary: Harry finds help in the most unlikely of places. Severus mentors Harry story. It begins the summer after the Tri-Wizard Tournament. Please take the time to read and review. :)
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Remus, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Evil!Albus
Takes Place: 5th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Out of Character, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 68 Completed: No Word count: 164150 Read: 283274 Published: 01 Feb 2015 Updated: 21 Jun 2017
Chapter 53: Spare the Rod by mandancie

Severus walked up the stairs to see Poppy standing just outside Harry's room.

"Poppy," Severus whispered.

Poppy turned her head towards the voice.

"Severus?"

Severus stood next to the matron.

"He's going to be fine," Poppy said. "It looks worse than it is. Derek immobilized his arm for right now. He wants the arm still."

"Nerve damage?"

"That part we won't be sure until he wakes up fully," Poppy said, shaking her head. "But the salve you brewed should counter any nerve damage that could be there."

"Why are you standing out here?"

"Well," Poppy said with a smile on her face. "I was informed by Healer Williams that I was declared dead to the students. To keep up with your ruse," she had a light tone in her voice, "I don't want Harry to see me."

Poppy gripped Severus' arm and then walked off, slowly making her way towards the stairs. Severus watched her until she began to descend the stairs and then turned and entered the room.

Harry's arm was wrapped from mid-forearm to his fingertips. He was still laying on top of the covers. Severus walked over and sat down on the edge of the bed. Severus looked at the bandaged limb. He began thinking on everything that happened today. He felt like he'd been through an emotional ringer. He was actually excited about having Harry spending the night in his chambers. He was worried when he didn't see Harry at lunch, disappointed that Harry skipped his class, upset finding out that Harry was having nightmares and not telling him, and anger and rage when he found out what that bitch had him doing in detention. Severus sighed. It wasn't even the end of October and it was already starting to feel like this school year was going to be a long one.

The first thing that Harry realized was that he was laying down. The last thing he remembered was trying to walk upstairs. Lifting his arms he was met with resistance, at least with one of his arms. Raising the non-restraint arm, he brought his hand to his face. He opened his eyes and turned he head in search for his glasses.

When he turned his head, he began remembering everything that happened. Defense class. Detentions. His da.

Harry tried to sit up, but was met with his arm being stuck.

"Lie still."

Harry looked over and even without his glasses he saw his da sitting on the edge of the bed. The nightmare he had that afternoon flooded his mind. Tears began to burn his throat as his vision blurred more from the tears pooling them.

"Don't bother darkening my door anymore."

Severus leaned over Harry in a way as to not jostle his arm that was immobilized on the bed. He could see the tears pooling in Harry's eyes. Wanting Harry to calm down, Severus pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket and began wiping Harry's eyes.

"Sir," Harry sobbed.

"Shh," Severus soothed. "Everything will be fine."

"I'm sorry," Harry continued, tears streaming down to his hair. "Please don't send me away. Please."

Harry was starting to become hysterical. Severus did not want that. He needed Harry to calm down. Pulling his wand out, Severus pointed it towards Harry's arm. He didn't miss the flinch Harry did when he saw the wand pointing at him.

"Finite," Severus said.

Putting his wand down beside him, Severus reached down and grabbed hold of Harry and once again, brought the child up to his chest. This time they were sitting just like they were the previous night in Severus' chambers. And once again, Harry was awkwardly clinging to him. Since his left arm was bandaged to the tips of his fingers, Harry couldn't grab hold of Severus' robes, but it didn't stop him from burying his face in Severus' neck, his knees digging into Severus' sides, his right hand trying to pull Severus closer to him, which seemed impossible as they were already holding each other.

Slightly rocking, Severus rubbed Harry's back while soothingly whispering calming words to Harry. After a while, Harry began to calm down, but unlike in Severus' chambers, Harry would not remove his head from Severus' neck.

"Harry," Severus softly said. "Harry, talk to me."

"I'm sorry," Harry mumbled in Severus' neck.

"There's nothing for you to be sorry for," Severus soothed.

"My fault."

"How is what happened to you your fault?" Severus asked.

Harry said something. Severus knew he replied to his question as he felt his child talking against his neck, but he couldn't make out what the child was saying.

"Harry, I need you to speak clearly," Severus said, pushing Harry back so that he could see the child's face.

He was met with resistance. Harry's legs tightened their hold as well has Harry's right hand. Disregarding what he was about to do, Severus began rubbing circles on Harry's back. When he felt Harry calm down again, Severus twisted his body and lowered himself, with Harry still attached, onto the bed, never once stopping whispering soothing words in Harry's ears.

_0000_0000_000_000

Derek sat down on the sofa next to Minerva. For a while neither said anything. Sirius and Remus walked into the library and without saying a word, they sat down with the Healer and Transfiguration professor.

Minerva looked around at the three gentlemen sitting around her and gave a slight nod to herself.

"Well, Derek," Minerva said, bringing everyone out of their own musing. "How's Harry?"

Derek sighed as he looked at Minerva.

"The damage was extensive, but it will heal."

"What caused it?" Remus asked.

"Harry was forced to use a blood quill. I won't know the extent of the damage until I know how long he had to write with it. Right now, things looks promising. I have his arm wrapped and Severus' salve should work on minimizing the nerve damage that could occur."

"A blood quill," Remus growled. "Have I missed something? Since when is a dark artifact able to be used inside a school?"

"Now, Remus," Minerva said. "Calm down. We had no idea that that was being used inside the school. If I knew it was, do you think that I would have allowed Harry to be subjected to that form of torture?" Remus raised an eyebrow at the rebuke. "I know you are upset, as are all of us, but I will tell you the same thing I told Severus. You will let me handle it. Now, Derek, if you wouldn't mind, please call Tami for me."

"She's your elf," Derek said.

Minerva smiled. "Tami."

"Yous call, mistress," Tami smiled, hearing her mistress call her name again.

"I would like you to take me back to Hogwarts. Then in two hours lower your warding over the house."
"Yes, mistress."

"Do not leave this house," Minerva ordered Remus and Sirius.

"I should go with you," Sirius said, standing.

"Not this time," Minerva said, cupping his face. "This I need to handle alone."

_0000_0000_

After careful prying, Severus was able to disentangle Harry's fingers from his robes, and though getting the child's legs from around his waist was a bit challenging, he was able to dislodge himself from the child. He replaced the sticking charm on Harry's bandaged arm and sat upright.

"Harry," Severus soothed. "I need to know what happened?"

Harry had long since stop crying, but his fears from the nightmare he had earlier that day still haunted him. Just the thought of being rejected by his da made his chest heavy.

"I'll be good," Harry said, trying to keep the tremble out of his tone. "I promise. Please."
Severus leaned down over Harry and started combing his fingers through Harry's unruly hair. Letting his fingers get loss in the strands of hair as he soothingly massaged the child's scalp. It had it desired effect, as Harry slowly began to calm down again.

"Harry, you are good," Severus soothed. "Why would you think that you are not?"

"Please don't send me away," Harry whined.

"Never, child," Severus said. "You are mine. And there is nothing. Absolutely nothing that would make me send you away."

"I tried to stay out of trouble," Harry said, looking up at Severus. "I wanted you proud of me. I wanted to spend the night in your chambers. I tried. And I couldn't."

Tears leaked from Harry's eyes and streamed down to his hair.

"What happened today?"

"We," Harry sighed, "had a pop quiz today. I wanted to make you proud that I knew the answers. That I wasn't a complete dunderhead." Severus smirked at the name but didn't interrupt.

"When we got the quiz back, she accused that I was trying to be better than the others. That I thought the world revolved around me. That I was better than the Minister."

Severus did not respond. He just continued rubbing Harry's head in a soothing manner.

"After class, she told me to stay," Harry's breath hitched.

"Calm down," Severus soothed. "What happened after you stayed?"

Harry turned his head as much as he could with Severus' fingers still in his hair. He was looking at the ceiling.

"No, look at me," Severus softly chided. "What happened after you stayed?"

Harry swallowed the lump growing again in his throat and looked back at his da.

"She told me that I had to come back after classes for detention."

"Did she hold you long?"

Harry shook his head.

"Then why didn't you come to lunch?"

Harry's brow scrunched in agony. His breathing began to shallow.

"Ah, no, calm down. I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm just trying to know what happened today. Breathe slowly. Calm down."

"I didn't want you to be disappointed," Harry finally said, once his breathing calmed slightly. "You were so upset that you thought I was mad at you and I didn't want you to see me and then know that I wasn't going to be able to come. I knew you would be angry that I didn't listen and I didn't want to see the look on your face. After leaving class I went straight to my dorm."

Severus closed his eyes as he sighed, listening to the reasons Harry gave.

"Listen to me," Severus said, leaning a little closer towards Harry so that he didn't have to stain his neck looking at him. "I know I haven't always been the most approachable person, but this cannot happen again. You must learn that if something is bothering you. Or someone, that you are to come to me. I will not turn you away."

"I just don't want you to hate me anymore," Harry said as two tears streamed down his face.

"I could never hate you, Harry. I never hated you. I was blinded in what I saw, but I never hated you. Never. You are now mine. And I will say this again, nothing and no one will take you away from me."

Severus leaned down and kissed Harry on the forehead. Harry reached up with his free arm and hooked it around Severus' neck, hugging him.

_0000_0000_0000_00000_00

Dolores was sitting on her sofa in her chambers, sipping on tea when the floo flared up.

"Dolores," said a voice from the flames.

"Cornelius," Dolores smiled, getting up and kneeling at the hearth.

"How are things going?"

"Wonderful," Dolores said, sweetly. "I have everything under control. I don't know why they were having such a difficult time with keeping teachers."
"And Mr. Potter?"

"Yes," Dolores smiled. "Things are going beautifully. He is no longer a threat. He wanted to try and take over the Ministry, but I thwarted him at every turn. He will no be a problem."

"And you had no problems with the other staff members?"

"They have let Potter have free reign since he got here. He is now being held accountable for his actions. You should not have to worry about that brat much longer."

"Excellent," Cornelius beamed. "Continue on with the wonderful work. I expect a full briefing within the month on your progress."

"Of course, Minister."

Dolores stood up as the flames died back down. Dusting herself of ash, she went back to the sofa to continue her relaxing evening. Thinking back on the detention she had with Potter, she couldn't help smiling.

One more detention should finish the job, she mused. She had hope the Dementors that she sent during the summer would have handled Potter, but she was very disappointed when she learned that they did not do what she wanted.

It was the reason behind the little quiz she gave the Gryffindors and Slytherins today. When she heard that the Dementors were chased away, she had to be sure of her suspicions that Potter was learning advance magic over his peers.

She knew she was taking a huge risk bringing the blood quill out, but when she didn't hear any complaints from the other Professors she knew that Potter had no one to confide in, so she had a way to break him.

A knock on her chamber door, brought Dolores out of her musing. She looked over at the clock on her mantel. Ten o'clock. Now who could be calling at this time of night, she wondered as she walked to her door.

Dolores opened the door and had a slight shock at who was standing there.

"I'm sorry to bother you so late, but might I have a few minutes of your time, Dolores."

"Yes, of course," Dolores said, bringing herself out of her shock and stepping aside to let her guest in.

"What can I do for you, Minerva?" Dolores asked, closing the door.

Minerva walked further into the room. She did not respond until she was standing close to the middle of the room.

"I just have a question for you," Minerva said, her tone flat and even. There was no hint of anger and rage she was feeling underneath.

"Forgive me, Minerva, but it is late, so please state what it is that you would like to say. I would like to get to bed soon."

There was a smirk that didn't quick reach Minerva's eyes as she looked at the woman now stepping away from the door and walking closer towards her.

"I won't be long," Minerva promised. "I just want to know how dare you?"
"I'm sorry?"

"Please, do not insult me by playing stupid now," Minerva said.

"I beg your pardon," Dolores huffed. "How dare you?"

"No madam, how dare you?" Minerva tone got harsh. "How dare you bring a blood quill into my school? How dare you endanger my students with such an artifact?"

"I've done no such thing," Dolores lied.

Minerva raised an eyebrow at the statement.

Dolores' chambers were painted in a sickening pink color. The walls were decorated with small saucers with kittens on them. Some of the kittens were asleep since it was so late, but others were awake and watching what was going on between the two witches.

Minerva looked at Dolores and narrowed her eyes. The kitten in the plate that was just above the door began mewling and meowing. Seconds later, the saucer plate shattered. Two more saucers began trembling, effectively waking up the slumbering kittens as those two met with the same fate of exploding.

Dolores ducked her head as flying glass whizzed past her head. Three more exploded. Dolores frantically waved her arm in a futile attempt in saving the rest of her saucer plates. Her shields had no effect as three more exploded.

"ENOUGH!" Dolores yelled.

Minerva just looked at the Toad-faced woman, unfazed by her theatrics.

"How dare you come into my chambers and destroy my property?"

"How dare you come into my school and abuse my children?" Minerva challenged. "You used a blood quill during a detention. Scared one of my students. Then have the audacity to feign ignorance to my face."

At each accusation, Dolores could see that there was going to be no way around what happened, so she decided to take another approach.

"Headmaster Dumbledore approved my methods," Dolores said, sweetly. "As well as Cornelius Fudge."

"Really?" Minerva said, raising an eyebrow. "Albus told you that you have reign over discipline?"

"Of course," Dolores said, feeling her confidence coming back. She began thinking that she got one over on Minerva. "I actually spoke with Headmaster Dumbledore this afternoon about Potter, and then got approval from the Minister of Magic."

Minerva just looked at Dolores. When Dolores didn't receive the reaction she was expecting from Minerva, she audibly gulped.

"As Deputy-Headmistress of Hogwarts, let me enlighten you on what those duties are. It is my job as Deputy-Headmistress to make sure all newly witches and wizards get their acceptance letter for Hogwarts. I also am in charge of sorting. Finally, I am solely responsible for the discipline that is sanctioned in this school. Only approved acts of discipline are to be used on students. As such Corporal Punishment was taken out of this school as some Professors did not know when it was too much. I removed the use of the cane and paddle from this school. Now there have been extenuating circumstances where a child was paddled, but it was only as a last resort. You," Minerva said, walking towards Dolores, "bringing in a dark artifact as a blood quill is not only against the law, it is abusive. I saw Harry's arm. How many times did you have him write?"

"I do not have to dignify that with a response. Now would you leave."

"I'm sorry," Minerva said. "You must be under the delusion that you will still be at this school tomorrow."

"You have no authority to dismiss me," Dolores said.

A smile came across the Transfiguration Professor that brought a chill down Dolores' spine.

_0000_0000_0000_0000

Minerva calmly walked down the corridor, heading towards Albus' office. Once she got to the gargoyle, it quickly stepped aside. She walked up the steps and knocked on Albus' door.

"Enter," came Albus' voice on the other side of the door.

Minerva walked into the office and saw Albus sitting behind his desk. She walked over to one of the chairs across from Albus.

"Minerva," Albus said, with a small smile. "What do I owe this visit?"

Minerva sighed as she looked at Albus. "I've come to inform you that we are in need of another Defense Professor." Albus could not hide the shock on his face. "Yes," Minerva continued, "it seems that she was abusing her power over the students. I showed her the errors of her ways and she … left."

"Left?"

"Yes," Minerva said, slightly nodding her head. "Please tell me that you did not approve her using a dark artifact on the students?"

"Of course not," Albus said. "What has happened?"

"She brought a blood quill into the school," Minerva said. "Tomorrow I will be doing a thorough search of all the students, if any, that were subjected to the use of such an artifact."

"Of course," Albus said, shock in his tone. "A blood quill? How did you find out?"

"Mr. Potter had detention with her this evening," Minerva said.

"Where is Harry now?"

"Being looked over by the Healer. He says that the damage should heal in time, but won't know the extent until Harry fully awakes."

"I understand," Albus nodded. "Please keep me informed."

"Good night, Albus," Minerva said, standing up and leaving.

Albus put his head in his hands. When he agreed for Umbridge to come to the school, he didn't think that she would come and hurt the one child that he needed to follow him blindly. Now he would have to deal with the aftermath of this fiasco. Sighing, Albus knew he would not be getting anymore work done, so he figured he would call it a night. Once he cleared his desk, his floo flared and Aberforth walked through the hearth.

"What is it, Aberforth?" Albus sighed.

"We need to talk," Aberforth said, his tone was urgent. "Something's come up."

Seeing the look in his brother's face, Albus knew it was important. The look on his brother's face told him this was about to be the beginning of a long night.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3174